Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/25/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 24 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 149

Today's Topics:
                             Amortization
                             BackIt 3.04
                              Boomerang
                            Color Printers
        DrawOver ...  converts PICT to Adobe Illustrator files
                          HyperCard IdleTime
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #147
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #148
                            InvisiWin FKEY
                             Linefeedify
               linking macs over several hundred feet.
                            Manager 4.0.3
                                OzTeX
                             Phone number
                      PowerStation2.5.2 Updater
                    Test Scoring Scanner for Macs
                    Wavemetrics Applelink address
                         Word 4.0 RTF and TeX
                             WordRef 1.1

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 16:12:36 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Amortization

Someone on the network requested a software for amortization
purpose (annual, semi-annual... daily). Hope this fits the need!
Shareware, author unknown.

Jean Brunet, R31631@UQAM

[Archived as /info-mac/app/amortization.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Aug 89 01:34:57 -0200
From: sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: BackIt 3.04

BackIt 3.04 - A PreSelective Backup Utility

Changes since 3.03...

* Converted to freeware (from being shareware)

* Fixed problem with memory allocation under MultiFinder.
  Allocates memory either from its own heap or MultiFinder heap
  depending on which one that offers the biggest block.

* Fixed some cosmetic bugs.

Documentation included

/Lars Sundstroem

[Archived as /info-mac/util/backit-304.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 13:29:58 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: Boomerang

I really like Boomerang 2.0B7, but it consistently crashes in both MacDraw II
and MacWrite II at MYDIALOGHOOK+42.  After that crash I can get back to the
shell, but Boomerang no longer works.

I know I can reconfigure it to not work in these applications, but I would
rather have it work.  I find it very hard to live without.

How is the author doing on a new version?  I have found many other instances
that I can only marginally blame on Boomerang, but it is too handy to toss.
I am very willing to help with the debugging as I really like Boomerang.  The
Rebound stuff is even better than either Rebound or SFScrollInit.  I hope some
progress gets shared with the net soon.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 14:34:06 EDT
From: Anup Patel <patel@mitre.mitre.org>
Subject: Color Printers

--------

We are looking into purchasing a color laser printer.  We've heard about the
QMS color printer, and the Tektronics Phaser printer.  The printer will most
likely be networked on Novell.  Can anyone recommend a color printer that
can be networked, and handle Postscript.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 15:07:45 PDT
From: gelphman@adobe.com (David Gelphman)
Subject: DrawOver ...  converts PICT to Adobe Illustrator files

>I tried to find DrawOver (an application that takes PICT-->encapsulated
>PostScript) in sumex's info-mac archives, but no luck.  Does anyone have it or
>>know where I might find it?

     DrawOver is a commercial program which is included as part of
the Adobe Illustrator 88 package. It is not available separately. It
allows you to convert PICT files saved by MacDraw into Adobe Illustrator
format. If there are any bitmaps which have been pasted into the PICT,
they are discarded. I don't know how well DrawOver works with PICT files
saved from other programs besides MacDraw.
     Adobe Illustrator files are pure PostScript files which contain
the structural information of the drawing (grouping of objects, etc).
These files are EPS files WITHOUT the screen preview. The files DrawOver
produces can be opened and editted directly in Adobe Illustrator 88 and
can be saved WITH the screen preview.
     I'm sure the Adobe Customer Support people can tell you more about
DrawOver if you need more information. The customer support number is
415-961-0911.

Hope this helps,
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 09:24:50 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard IdleTime

Hi. Recently I posted a request for a way to get the idle time, ie the time
before the next keyboard or mouse (including mouse move) or disk insertion or .
. event occur. Brodie Lockard from I.ISIMO@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU replied with
a pascal code fragment which I have modified into C code.
This is an XFCN which requires the HyperXcmd.h which can be found somewhere in
this archive.

#include <QuickDraw.h>
#include "HyperXcmd.h"

pascal void
main(paramPtr)
XCmdBlockPtr paramPtr;
{
    int    haveEvent;
    Str31  result;
    int    timeOut;
    Str255 str;

    ZeroToPas(paramPtr,*(paramPtr->params[0]),&str);
    timeOut = StrToNum(paramPtr,&str);

    haveEvent = HaveEvent(timeOut);
    NumToStr (paramPtr, (long)haveEvent, result);
    paramPtr->returnValue = PasToZero(paramPtr, result);
}

HaveEvent(timeOut)
int timeOut;
{
    int    gotEvent;
    Point  startPt, curPt;
    long   startTick, curTick, delay;
    EventRecord myEvent;

    GetMouse(&startPt);
    startTick = TickCount();
    for (;;)
    {
        GetMouse(&curPt);
        gotEvent = OSEventAvail(everyEvent, &myEvent);
        curTick = TickCount();
        delay = curTick - startTick;
        if (startPt.h != curPt.h || startPt.v != curPt.v || gotEvent)
        {
            return (1);
        }
        if (delay > timeOut) break;
    }
    return (0);
}

I call this XFCN during an on idle handler in the project script (SuperCard
term). But before I call it, I store the ticks first and after the function
returns, the interval was computed. The function expects a timeout factor and
simply checks the event queue until timeout or a event occurs, whichever is
earlier. It returns 0 for timeout, and 1 if an event has occurred.
I found this code to be extremely useful and is used to determine if the idle
time exceeds a certain limit, after which the whole project restarts itself.
I wrote it with a timeout parameter because I want to process some data even
during idle time using a timeout factor of 0 which works fine. This code
doesn't take the event out of the queue which means the correct handler will be
called.

Christopher Rimple from MADRABT@UWAV1 uses a somewhat brute force technique
which I have already tried before he told me about it. Its all done in
HyperTalk and will definitely slow the system down.

Thanks to these two persons who have responded.
Please refer to my next mail for a preliminary report on SuperCard 1.0

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 10:59:17 -0200
From: Christian Beilken <unido!gmdzi!cici@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #147

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> Documents with draw-layer text do not print to our LaserWriter IINT from
> SuperPaint 2.0 using System 6.0.3 on a MacPlus with
> LaserWriter/LaserPrep 6.0 installed.  These documents print with the 5.2
> printer drivers.  Also, they print with the 6.0 drivers from SuperPaint
> 2.0 or when opened and printed from SuperPaint 1.1 or from MacDraw II.
> Can we expect an update from Silicon Beach to correct this problem?  Has
> anyone else noticed this?  Thanks.
>
>    Doug S. Phillips               Telephone:  (403) 221-8904
>    SuperComputing Services        BITNET:  DSPhillips@UNCACDC
>    The University of Calgary
>    390, 1620 - 29 St. N. W.
>    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>    T2N 4L7

Yes, there is a version 2.0a of Superpaint, which works. You can get
it from Silicon Beach. I got it also some weeks ago.

Bye

Cici Beilken				email: cici@gmdzi.uucp
GMD (Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung)
P.O.Box	1240 				fax:   (+49 2241) 14-2618
D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1, West-Germany	phone: (+49 2241) 14-2642

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 17:41:34 -0400
From: mjkobb@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #148

In #148 bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com writes:

>I had no problems with it.  It just turned the left part of the
>control panel into something that is similar to the "view by name"
>option rather then the "view by icon" option.  A very useful function
>if one has many CDEVs loaded.  To remove it, just double click on
>nothing again, it gives you the option to remove itself.

I believe that you're thinking of CDEV-Shrinker.  Nothing was the CDEV that
eliminated all of the control panel except the left-hand side... CDEV-Shrinker
removes the icons from the left-hand side so you can see more entries at once.

--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89  18:50:23 MDT
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: InvisiWin FKEY

InvisiWin:  an FKEY inspired from Neal E. Trautman's FKEY.  It makes
the content region of windows empty, so that you can see through them
(this effect is reversible of course!).  This FKEY makes ALL of the
windows in an application at invisible at once.  To use this option,
hold down the Control key when you do the cmd-shift sequence.  This is
great in MultiFinder because you can hide all of the windows in *one*
application to speed updating.  Also works well with ResEdit.  It's
also helpful to make a Quickeys macro: control-space to make it easier
to use.  Who needs Sys 7.0 and its layer hiding abilities?  LSC 3.0
source code is included.

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/invisiwin.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 14:22 EDT
From: "Roger Marks, NIST, Boulder, CO. 303-497-3037" <MARKS@enh.nist.gov>
Subject: Linefeedify

I'm in need of a program to turn carriage returns into CR/linefeeds. I found
"Linefeedify" in the archives, but was unable to UnBinhex either the Macserve
or Info-Mac versions without a fatal CRC error.  I'm therefore reasonably
certain that the file is corrupt.  I was unable to reach the author.  Does
someone else have a working version of this or a similar program?

Thanks,

Roger
MARKS@NBSENH.BITNET
MARKS@ENH.NIST.GOV

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 11:13:08 EDT
From: Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: linking macs over several hundred feet.

 We want to buy two Macs. that we want to link over several hundred feet.
 Ideally, one would be a IIcx, the other an SE.  If it is possible, one
 would run the kernal of Mathematica, the other would connect to it and
 run the kernel (Mathematica does this doesn't it?) remotely.  The IIcx would
 also have a laserwriter NT hooked up to it, and it would be nice to be able
 to print on it from the SE (which would have an imagewriter or deskwriter
 or something hooked to it).  We don't know much about networking, and
 want to know if this is possible, and how to do it.  The hitch is the macs
 will be in separate offices, hundreds (up to a thousand) of feet apart.

 A good reliable system (I don't want my pro-IBM thesis advisor to
 hassle me if it doesn't work!) would be great.  It doesn't have to do
 much more than I said.  Please, if you reply, start from the beginning.  I
 know a little about using and programming macs, but nothing about networks.
 (Got a chance to learn, though).

          |       Michael Webb                             |
          |       University of Michigan Physics Dept.     |
          |       1038 Randall Laboratory                  |
          |       Ann Arbor, MI  48109                     |
          |       Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu             |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Aug 89 21:28:53 EDT
From: Rick Zaccone <zaccone@sol.bucknell.edu>
Subject: Manager 4.0.3

Version 4.0 of SuperMac's Manager didn't work properly with some Mac
Plus's and the original DataFrame 20's.  Version 4.0.3 corrects that
problem.  This program is useful only to people who have DataFrame
hard disks.

Rick Zaccone
zaccone@bknlvms.bitnet
zaccone@sol.bucknell.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/dataframe/manager-403.hqx; 128K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 09:38:04 EDT
From: rlm%dawn.hampshire.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: OzTeX

Could someone send me information on or pointers to the
OzTeX package -- I gather it's a PD TeX for Macs?

Thanks.

Richard Muller
rmuller%hampvms.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
rlm@dawn.hampshire.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 21:44 EDT
From: Doug Hardie <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: Phone number

Does anyone have the phone number for Electronic Arts?  All my
documentation is in storage and I would like to contact them.  Thanks

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 11:36:02 EDT
From: Michael Kazlow <KAZLOWF%PACEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PowerStation2.5.2 Updater

Updates Steve Brecher's Powerstation 2.5 to 2.5.2

[Archived as /info-mac/util/powerstation-252-updater.hqx; 66K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 08:35 CDT
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309/298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Test Scoring Scanner for Macs

Does anyone know of a scanner available for reading "bubble" sheets commonly
used for administering tests?  We have an NCS Scanner attached to a P.C. here,
but it was about $9000 and the bottom of the line at that time.  (I'm waiting
for NCS to get back to me to see if they have a cheaper model now). We're
looking for something that might be a little more portable, since the NCS
model is larger than a full size PC.

Since graphics scanners are now in the $1000-$2000 range, I'd think a
bubble sheet scanner could be in the same range.

thanks,

Fred Seaton
Academic Computing
Western Illinois University
mucm000@ecncdc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 24 Aug 89 15:34 -0700
From: mmcintos@sirius.uvic.ca
Subject: Wavemetrics Applelink address

   I recently tried to reach Wavemetrics, the makers of Igor, using
the following address:

      D1832@applelink.apple.com

which I gleaned from a summary of mathematical graphing and analysis
packages posted to Info-Mac.  I received a reply from
COMMENTS@applelink.apple.com saying that the name was unknown to the
system.

   My question is...does anyone know if Wavemetrics is on Applelink
(or any other network accessible from the Internet)?  If yes, then
what is the correct address?

Thanks,
Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.uvic.ca>
University of Victoria, ECE Dept. | "...the mystery of life isn't a problem to
Box 1700, Victoria, BC, CANADA    |     solve but a reality to experience."
V8W 2Y2            (604) 721-7211 |                       from Dune
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sirius!mmcintos

------------------------------

Date: 24 Aug 1989 14:45:34 GMT
From: crr%minster.york.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: Word 4.0 RTF and TeX

The RTF file format generated by Word 4.0 seems
to be very similar to computer generated TeX.
I have yet to see the RTF format definition but
it seems as though it would be relatively easy
to translate (partially) from one to the other.

Has anyone out there done this?

I'm intending to try and would be interested
to hear of anyone else's successes/failures and
problems.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 13:43:31 EDT
From: man@cs.brown.edu
Subject: WordRef 1.1

Here is the 1.1 version of WordRef.  The new features include:
	o Some bug fixes
	o Better handling of double-quotes in the references
	o More complete handling of diacriticals (accents) and special
characters in the BibTeX format
	o Option to sort references alphabetically when using numeric tags for
citations
	o Better handling of out-of-memory conditions
	o Accomodations for "home-brewed" BibTeX fields

In case you missed the original announcement for WordRef, here is the

WordRef an application and HyperCard stack I developed for producing cross-
references and bibliographies using Word 3/4.  It is yet another facility
which uses the Print Merge facility of Word, but I have tried to do it in
a way which is more general than any of the systems which preceded me, so
that it should be able to handle virtually any cross-referencing and
bibliography needs.  It is a ShareWare package and may be distributed
not-for-profit as long as the application, stack, and document are all
kept together.

Some of the features are:

        o No limit on the number of counters (variables) used for cross-