Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/28/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 27 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 151

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                   Absoft Fortran with LSC (query)
                        Daisy Chaining Drives?
          HOW CAN I ACCESS THE SERIAL PORT FROM HYPERCARD ?
     Info on the use and applications of Wolfram's "Mathematica"
                Keeping a harddisk on 24 hours a day?
                                 LOGO
                         MACINTOSH EMULATION
                        Modifying SFGet Dialog
                  More on Mac+ Accelerator boards...
                   Notes from inside a Klein bottle
                  Password Protecting the Macintosh
                             Souped-Up GS
                  TURNING OFF LASERWRITER TEST PAGE
                    Wavemetrics Applelink address
              where are the mouse coordinates in memory?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1989 16:27:39 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

Inside each of the info-mac directories, you should find a file called
00directoryName-abstracts.txt. This file contains a list of the text headers
of the .hqx files in that directory. It may be useful when you are looking
for any file which relates to a particular subject. These files will be
updated every few weeks, so look for the abstracts of recent files in
/help/recent-abstracts.txt. Thanks to Glenn Trewitt for his help in putting
this together, and to the other people who mailed in their suggestions.

Bill

------------------------------

Date: 25 Aug 89 16:58:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
Subject: Absoft Fortran with LSC (query)

I have just started to use Prototyper to generate code for LSC. This is a
marvelous way to do a user interface, but for my scientific applications
and historical reasons, I have Fortran code that I cannot abandon. So, does
anyone know how to link Absoft Fortran subroutines to a LSC main program?

In principle, Prototyper can generate code for MPW C 3.0 and I can use the
Lang. Systems Fortran to handle the Fortran subroutines and then link it all
together. Has anyone done this? Or, does anybody have any experience at all
with linking modules from 2 different languages under MPW 3.0??

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 89 20:04:30 EDT
From: Bull Durham  <WCD@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: Daisy Chaining Drives?

I operate a plain vanilla Plus with a Cutting Edge External 800K Drive.
Lately two floppies haven't been enough for the work I'm doing, but I'm
not quite ready to buy a Hard Drive. My neighbor has an Apple 3.25" drive not
being used, and offered to loan it to me for a while. No documentation
available, so that's why I'm turning to the net for help.
     The Apple drive has a    gozouta port in the back, in addition to the
usual cable that plugs into the Mac. This looks like the back of my old
Atari disk drive, that let you daisy-chain all the peripherals. So I tried
hooking the Apple 3.25" to the Mac, and my Cutting Edge to the Apple floppy.
The Mac didn't acknowledge the CE's existence.

     So, can you hook up two external floppies to the Plus?

                                              Thanks,
                                              Bull

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 89 13:19 EDT
From: Doug Hardie <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: HOW CAN I ACCESS THE SERIAL PORT FROM HYPERCARD ?

The Developer's Stack (Available from the archive) has some XCMDs and
XFCNs that give you access to the serial port:

     SendSerial    -  sends characters out the serial port
     CommInit      -  sets the port parameters
     CommWrite     -  sends characters out the serial port
     CommRead      -  receives characters from the serial port

Those are the ones that I could easily find.  There may be more.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 23:05 C
From: Joao Candido Portinari <PUCRJPP%BRFAPESP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info on the use and applications of Wolfram's "Mathematica"

I would appreciate any pointers on the use and applications of Wolfram's
MATHEMATICA: any literature, besides the author's Addison Wesley book?
I've heard that the network PORTAL has a section devoted to Mathematica. Is
Portal accessible through Bitnet?
Any hints from more experienced users of Mathematica would be gratefully
acknowledged.
Joao

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 89 03:51:55 +0200
From: Olle Furberg  <ollef@sics.se>
Subject: Keeping a harddisk on 24 hours a day?

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>What is the best current advice on whether to keep your harddisk running
>all the time versus shutting it down for the night??

As I have understood, there is no "current" opinion in this question: there
is and will always (?) be two schools of thought: shut it down or leave it on.

The problem is that there doesn't exist any HD constructed according to
_current_ HD technology which has been in used 4 or 5 years. We have to
wait and see... (e.g. no one can explain the bit-putrefaction!)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 13:58:22 PDT
From: bri@garnet.berkeley.edu (Brian Reilly)
Subject: LOGO

Does anyone have a recommendation for LOGO on the Mac?  I was
told that Apple recently bought ObjectLOGO, which had been recommended.

I have also seen mentioned somewhere that the turtle graphics commands
for LOGO had been implemented in HyperTalk.  Where can I find these?

Thanks,
Brian Reilly			Division of Language and Literacy
bri@ucbgarne.bitnet		UC Berkeley School of Education
bri@garnet.berkeley.edu		Berkeley, CA 94720

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 14:40:56 EDT
From: wilts@cavax.ab.ca (Ed Wilts)
Subject: MACINTOSH EMULATION

[good comparison of Mac emulators for Atari, Amiga]

>    Uh, for what it is worth, Atari and Commodore also offer ONLY a 90
>day warranty.  GRIN

There go the facts...Commodore now includes a full 1 year warranty on all
Amiga computers in Canada.  You may start groaning instead of grinning....
I do not know what Atari currently offers since I have never dealt with
them.  I have owned an Amiga since 1985.  Commodore has been including the
1 year standard warranty since last year.

>Larry Rymal in East Texas <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

        .../Ed          (EWilts%Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA@UncaNet.Bitnet)
Ed Wilts
Sr. Systems Analyst, Canadian Occidental Petroleum Ltd.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada                 (403) 234-1007

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 89 13:10:16 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Modifying SFGet Dialog

How can the standard file get dialog be modified to NOT show hidden files
or hidden directories?

------------------------------

Date: 25 Aug 89 16:54:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
Subject: More on Mac+ Accelerator boards...

Since there has recently been a lot of talk about accelerator boards, let me
put in my 2 cents. I have a Novy systems 16mhz 020/881 accelerator board
(two actually, one at home and one at work). The board is consistently
faster than the Radius board, support is excellent, hardware is solid and
stable, as is the software. Unlike Radius, sound is handled correctly.
Custome beep sounds come out perfectly, although I can't say about music
software, as I don't run any.

Further, the product is upgradable to more memory and faster clock rates.
There is a forthcoming board swap on this product to the new Novy 030/882
board. If you still have a Mac+, this is the ONLY upgrade path available
>From anyone that will let your venerable old machine run  System 7.

I am absolutely satisfied with the Novy products. They don't have the
advertising budget that Radius does, but I believe it is the best accelerator
board available for the Mac+ or the Mac SE.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 89 16:45:40 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Notes from inside a Klein bottle

Last month's "scoop" was about the Internet gateway to Compu$erve
(compuserve.com), this month, guess who told Spenser F. Katt about
mcimail.com (PC Week 21 August p. 124 :-)

Details follow this month's column.
                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
            From the September 1989 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

Better IIgs?
Last month, Apple announced an improved IIgs that is almost
exactly as described in last May's column.  There are no
hints of any other new IIgs models, such as the long rumored
IIgs+, in the near future.  Perhaps those longing for a
faster Apple II will switch to the 10 megahertz IIgs clone
shown by Video Technologies at the Apple II Developers'
Conference in Kansas in July.  Video Technologies claims
they will have a design and ROM chips that do not infringe
on Apple's copyrights and patents by the time their clone in
introduced next year.  The Laser-gs has 2 expansion slots,
supports AppleTalk, and will retail in the $800 range.
- Thanks to Grant Delaney (who was there) for the details

68030 Amiga.
Commodore's Amiga computers have been quietly finding their
way into the corporate world as inexpensive graphics
workstations.  The Amiga will continue to maintain pace with
Apple's Macintosh with the introduction of a model built
around Motorola's 68030 processor this Fall.
- PC Week 31 July

Codename RT-3.
IBM will attempt to become a major player in the technical
workstation market on October 17 when a new line of five
Micro Channel RT (RISC Technology) computers is announced.
The new entry level workstation will have the footprint of a
PS/2 Model 30 and offer performance starting in the 18 to 20
MIPS range.  The Number crunching power of the $11,000 to
$12,000 model calculates out at 7 megaflops.  The higher end
models will be based on IBM's proprietary ROMP-II RISC chip,
but the entry level system may use Intel's i860.  Although
the systems will use the AIX 3.0 operating system, a
decision has not been reached on the user interface.  In the
past, IBM has said it would provide Motif and Next Step with
AIX.  - InfoWorld 24 July and 7 August

Macintosh Workstation.
Volume shipment of DayStar Digital's 50 MHz 68030 (see last
May's column) Macintosh II accelerator is scheduled for
October.  The 50/30 Accelerator is available for the
original Mac II as well as the IIx series.  Benchmark test
using a prototype of the 50/30 board showed overall
performance better than twice that of a stock IIx, and in
math intensive applications, the board is more than three
times as quick as a standard IIx.  The 50/30 Accelerator
will retail for $5,995.  - MacWeek 25 July

i486 Delay.
Last month's column must have jinxed Intel.  No sooner did
it appear than vendors were told to expect "later delivery."
David Kirkey, vice president of sales and marketing at ALR,
said Intel had originally promised initial shipments of the
chip in September but is now saying October or November.  A
spokeswoman for Intel maintained that the chip is "totally
on schedule" for fourth quarter volume shipments.
- InfoWorld 14 August

New Compaq's.
Compaq's first Extended Industry Standard Architecture
(EISA) computer will be an i486 model to be announced in
October.  The Compaq 486 also will have a hard disk with
cache memory which yields an average access speed of roughly
10 milliseconds.  By year's end, Compaq plans to announce a
dual i486 model that can be expanded into a departmental
computer with 32 Mbytes of RAM and 10 gigabytes of erasable
optical storage.  The fully configured version of Compaq's
twin processor machine is expected to cost between $40,000
and $50,000 but deliver performance equivalent to a $200,000
DEC VAX or IBM AS/400.  - PC Week 24 July

Who Needs OS/2 (Continued)?
IBM and Microsoft have agreed to merge DOS with a version of
Windows 3.0 and deliver the combined product sometime next
year.  Microsoft is expected to deliver one more version of
MS-DOS between now and the introduction of the combined DOS
with Windows.  If Windows permits applications to run in as
much as 16 Mbytes of memory (see July's column), users may
be able to take forever migrating to OS/2 with PM.
- InfoWorld 7 August

Mass Storage Drives.
Storage Dimensions has announced an optical-magneto drive
for the PS/2 and Macintosh computers with 1-gigabyte disks.
The drive has an average seek time of but 35 milliseconds.
Several manufacturers have announced 650 Mbyte read/write
optical drives with 95 millisecond average access times for
shipment in September: Procom Technology $4,950, Microtech
International $4,795, and Supermac Technologies $4,999.
- InfoWorld 14 August and Random Access 19 August

Apple's "MCA."
Apple has announced plans to set standards for connecting
media devices such as videodisc, videotape, and CD audio
players to the Mac.  Currently, developers have to write
custom drivers for each device.  In December, Apple will
ship sample device drivers, specifications, and user
interface guidelines for the Media Control Architecture
(MCA) standard.  - PC Week 14 August and MacWeek 15 August

32-bit OS/2.
Microsoft plans to release the first version of OS/2 able to
run 32-bit applications early next year.  OS/2 version 2.0
will require an 80386 or i486 CPU, but only selected potions
of the initial release will take advantage of the faster
32-bit data path.  Conversion to a full 32-bit
implementation will be done in stages permitting release of
portions of the operating system months sooner than
otherwise.  - PC Week 31 July

Outline Fonts for PM.
In an effort to keep up with the Macintosh, Agfa
Compugraphic's Intellifont "outline" font technology will be
added to OS/2's Presentation Manager.  When OS/2 2.0 is
released next year, PM's present two fonts will be replaced
by 12 outline typefaces embedded in the system.  Microsoft
plans to increase the number to 50 fonts within three months
of the initial release.  - PC Week 7 August

Color LaserWriter.
Motorola is putting the finishing touches on a new digital
signal processor called the 96002 intended for a forthcoming
Apple color laser printer.  - PC Week 14 August

Mac Word Perfect 1.0.3.
Word Perfect has announced an upgrade for their Macintosh
product which makes it compatible with MS-DOS Word Perfect
5.0 files and supports their graphics and text formats.  The
new release will ship in the next couple of months.
Upgrades for owners of the current version will be available
for $10.  - InfoWorld 14 August

SPSS-X on a Desktop.
The Presentation Manager version of SPSS is scheduled to
ship later this month with the SPSS-Mac expected in October
or November (see last February's column).  4 Mbytes of RAM
and a math coprocessor are recommended.
- PC Week 31 July and InfoWorld 7 and 14 August

Too Heavy, Too Slow, and Too Expensive.
Rumors about the demise of the LapMac (last month's column)
are greatly exaggerated (to paraphrase Mark Twain).  It's
scheduled for introduction on September 20 along with the 25
MHz Macintosh IIci (described in July's column).  The 17
pound SE compatible laptop will retail for $6,500 with 2
Mbytes of RAM and a 40 Mbyte hard disk.
- MacWeek 25 July and 1 and 8 August

Claris to Issue PC Software?
Rumor has it that Claris, Apple's software spinoff, has been
developing a program for the IBM PC.  No information is yet
available about the program's purpose (PCWorks?).
- PC Week 14 August

Microsoft Office.
In late September, Microsoft will offer a $949 CD-ROM disk
for the Macintosh which will include Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Mail, online tutorials, documentation, and a
HyperCard interface.  The disk will also contain some third
party clipart and template libraries, Silicon Beach
Software's SuperPaint 1.1, 350 Adobe screen fonts, and
numerous other tools and utilities.  In addition to the CD
player, Microsoft Office will require a hard disk, System
6.02 or higher, HyperCard 1.2.2 and at least 2 Mbytes of RAM
(4 Mbytes recommended).  - MacWeek 8 August

Word Bug Fix.
Microsoft is planning to issue a maintenance release by
early Fall of the latest version of Word (5.0 shipped last
April).  The update will resolve some idiosyncrasies between
5.0 and previous versions as well as a number of reported
problems with the new version.  - PC Week 14 August

HyperCard Update.
HyperCard 1.2.2 is not compatible with the LapMac of the 25
MHz Mac IIci.  Both will ship with version 1.2.3 which will
merely add support for the new Mac models and will not
include any major enhancements.  - MacWeek 8 August

2 Mbyte Data Card.
Canon has unveiled new optical credit card data storage
technology that will permit up to 2 Mbytes of information
including pictures, X-rays, and fingerprints to be stored
along with alphanumeric data.  Unlike today's magnetic card
strips, which are affected by magnets, and integrated
circuit cards, which can be erased by static electricity,
the Write Once, Read Many times (WORM) optical cards are not
susceptible to environmental electro-magnetism.  Canon plans
to ship models of the Optical Card System by next January
with volume production slated by 1991.  The Reader/Writer
drive will sell for between $1,500 and $2,000 and the cards
themselves will be about $5.00 each.  - PC Week 24 July
>From: "David K. Ely" <dely@NRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: Looking for admin contact for mcimail.com

The Internet<->MCI Mail Gateway is an experimental mail system being
developed by the Corporation for National Research Initiatives (NRI),
a non-profit research organization.  NRI is currently researching
interconnecting various mail services.

Currently, there is no charge for sending mail from the Internet to MCI Mail.
In order to send mail to users on MCI Mail, use one of the following addresses:

    accountname@mcimail.com
         -or-
    mci_id@mcimail.com
         -or-
    full_user_name@mcimail.com

For instance, I have a mailbox on MCI Mail.  You could send mail to me
via either dely@mcimail.com or 379-3286@mcimail.com or David_Ely@mcimail.com.

Users on MCI Mail can also send messages to the Internet.  At the "Command:"
prompt, type "create <carriage return>.  Then the user performs the following:
(NOTE  the "TO:", "EMS:" and "MBX:" strings are prompts provided by MCI Mail.

    Command:  create <return>
        TO:   David K. Ely (EMS)
         EMS:  INTERNET
         MBX:  dely@NRI.Reston.VA.US

This address is translated to:
    "David K. Ely" <dely@NRI.Reston.VA.US> by the Gateway.

Mail sent from MCI Mail to the Internet is charged by MCI Mail.

One final note:  Feel free to use the gateway as often as you'd like, but
          be forewarned:  The gateway is still not considered fully
          operational; sometimes mail will be delayed (usually less
          than 24 hours.)

If you have any more questions, or if I can be of further assistance, please
feel free to email me.

David K. Ely
Manager, EMS Systems
Corporation for National Research Initiatives (NRI)
Phone: US:  (703) 620-8990
Internet Mail:  dely@NRI.Reston.VA.US
MCI Mail:  dely

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 89 10:29:52 PDT
From: cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke)
Subject: Password Protecting the Macintosh

Earl Nall of Martin Marietta Energy Systems <ejn@stc10.ctd.ornl.gov> asks:
>When powering up a Macintosh, is there any way to password protect the
>system so that a password will need to be provided before the system
>can be used?

I beta tested a product called DiskLock, and it seemed like a pretty neat
product - on bootup it would ask you for a password for each drive that was
protected, before it would be "unlocked".  If you don't know the password,
then the system will ignore that drive.  It will only boot from an unlocked
drive.  This is done by doing something to the SCSI driver, I believe, so
botting a floppy will still not give you access to the locked drive.  You
can obtain more information (and a special introductory price) from Fifth
Generation Systems at (800) 873-4384.  Also, you'll find an ad for it in
the latest MacWeek magazine.

----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE
----- Or try:   apple!cpdaux!steve               CompuServe:  73627,570
----- Quote:    "What'd I go to college for?"   "You had fun, didn't you?"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 89 16:47:22 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Souped-Up GS

>As a person with some good sources myself, and a rumor collector like
>you, may I suggest that you do a little double checking about the
>status of the Mac IIci....... Yes, it was to be announced at the  9/20
>thing at Universal theater, but from what I am getting, it has now been
>placed on a back burner, Apple possibly yeilding to the Wall Street
>pressure NOT to do it this year, where the experts fear it will KILL the
>market for the IIcx before Apple gets back it's R&D money etc..

Anything's possible, I suppose.  After all, IBM delayed announcing the
portable Model 70 for a few weeks after pictures and reviews of it had
appeared in the trade press.  However, I don't think delaying the IIci
for financial or market reasons at this juncture would make much sense.
First, the machine (including its performance characteristics and price)
is no secret.  Those who are going to wait for the IIci in preference to
the IIcx will wait anyway.  The IIci has some features besides greater
speed that the IIcx doesn't, but the machines are similar enough that
I doubt it's really possible to divide R&D investments among the two,
besides Wall Streeters generally are more sophisticated about 'sunk costs.'
Holding up the IIci will simply delay realizing a return on the investment
developing the 25 MHz Mac.

Another reason I expect to see the IIci this Fall is Apple plans to introduce
a whole new line of Mac II's after January First (the principal difference will
be a 20 MHz NuBus).  Delaying the IIci will simply push back the whole
schedule.  From here, that doesn't appear condusive to maximizing the
cash flow (which is what recovering R&D is all about).

There may be technical reasons for delaying the IIci (FCC certification,
production line glitches, etc.) but if Wall Street is given as an excuse,
I'll suspect a "smoke screen."

>Will you be at the user group breakfeast at Applefest???

No, but you may see our Club's giant economy size cherub (and Apple
Ambassador -- or whatever title they've given him) George Carbonell there.

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89  16:15:20 EDT
From: ZAK%NIHCU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: TURNING OFF LASERWRITER TEST PAGE

 ABBOUD@CUA writes:
> Does anyone know what's the PostScript command that prevents the LaserWriter
> From printing a test page everytime it's turned on?  I looked into "My Page
> Setup v1.2", but it doesn't do it.

You can write a little PostScript to do it, but pulling out the
paper tray a little before you power up should do it.  Then
push the tray back in after the LaserWriter is warmed up, and
you're ready to print.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Aug 89 20:36 -0700
From: mmcintos@sirius.uvic.ca
Subject: Wavemetrics Applelink address

   The correct Applelink address for Wavemetrics, the makers of Igor,
is WAVEMETRICS (imagine that! oops, that's another company :-).  I
sent them a message in the evening and received a reply back the next
day...good response time.  Thanks to Gary M. Palter and Michael D.
Prange, who replied so quickly to my query about the address.

Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.uvic.ca>
University of Victoria, ECE Dept. | "...the mystery of life isn't a problem to
Box 1700, Victoria, BC, CANADA    |     solve but a reality to experience."
V8W 2Y2            (604) 721-7211 |                       from Dune
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sirius!mmcintos

------------------------------

Date: Fri 25 Aug 89 17:37:34-MDT
From: "Eric C. Kofoid" <BI.KOFOID@science.utah.edu>
Subject: where are the mouse coordinates in memory?

	Where in memory are the mouse coordinates stored? Is there a
global variable or constant which points to this location?  "getMouse"
and the "where" field of the event record don't help, as I actually
want to *modify* the mouse position, rather than read it. Thus, I must
know their primary location as referenced globally by the operating
system. If they are accessible by a standard system call then the code
will run on any Mac. Unfortunately, IM is of little help, at least
under obvious topics such as "mouse", "cursor", etc.

	Please, >>>no flames!<<< I know this is a violation of the
user interface, a concept which I revere and respect. My reasons for
wanting to do this are highly specific, and will not affect the user's
perception of the metaphor underlying a good Mac program.

	Eric.

   ][  Eric Kofoid              ][    Internet:                    ][
   ][  Department of Biology    ][    BI.KOFOID%SCIENCE@UTAHCCA    ][
   ][  University of Utah       ][    BitNet:                      ][
   ][  S.L.C., Utah 84112       ][    BI.KOFOID@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU   ][
-------

End of Info-Mac Digest