Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/30/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 29 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 153

Today's Topics:
                        Communications program
                            Dialoger Stack
                             Envelope 1.0
                        Hard disk partitioning
                           Internal Modems
                    laserwriter questions replied
                         Lost Hard Disk Space
                              Networking
                        Networking:  EtherNet
                          Quickmail Bridges
      Request for info:  LCD panels for overhead projection use
                   Resend Mac II Video Card utility
                              SuperSpool
                   Turning PostScript test page off
                      VT220 Emulator for the Mac
                            Z88 experience

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 10:52 EST
From: <DANNY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Lassaiz les bon temps rouler!)
Subject: Communications program

In re: Robert_Slade@cc.sfu.ca 's request of 8/25 for a communications program
that "has scripting capabilities to automate complicated signons...", there is
such a program - I use it regularly on our VAX, IBM and my Mac.  It is called
BLAST, from Communications Research Group. Their number is 1-800-24-BLAST.

Good luck...

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 89 08:54 -0330
From: dgraham%kean.mun.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Dialoger Stack

I recently heard of stack called Dialoger which was seen at MacWorld
and which apparently allows you to create your own modeless dialogs
for HyperCard applications. Has anyone heard of this? Any information
on where you can get it, cost etc.?  It sounds like just what I need.

David Graham
Department of French and Spanish
Memorial University of Newfoundland
709-754-0443

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 12:15:36 CDT
From: palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic)
Subject: Envelope 1.0

This is a repeat of a request I made in infomacv7-141:

>> The September 1989 Macworld mentions Envelope 1.0, a freeware
>> Hypercard stack which allows one to print addresses from the address
>> stack onto envelopes.  The author is David Eilers.  Would someone
>> please upload this to the archives?

The where-to-find section of Macworld is not very helpful.  It only
gives the authors name, David Eilers.  Does anyone know what his
address or phone # is?  Please reply to me and I will summarize for
the net.  Thanks.

John Palkovic
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dept. of Physics
and
Fermilab, Batavia, IL
bitnet:         palkovic@fnalad
decnet:		ALMOND::PALKOVIC
internet:	palkovic@linac.fnal.gov
phonenet:       (312) 840-2374

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 89 23:56 EDT
From: alan ruttenberg <alanr@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Hard disk partitioning

A few issues ago someone wrote about partitioning software for seagate
drives. They might want to enquire about Unimac Storeware which is a
universal scsi drive partitioner/formatter/driver installer that I used
a while back.  I was pleased with it's operation. I used it with a
newberry 300 meg drive I bought a few months ago after seeing the
closeout sale mentioned here.  This is from the about box.

Unimac Storware
Universal Mac Products Inc.
942 Calle Amanecer, Suite A
San Clemente, CA 92672
Telephone 714-498-7945

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 09:24:31 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Internal Modems

I have a demo internal modem card in my Mac II from a friend (I don't recall
the company he was writing it for though).  It works just dandy although it is
a kludge.  He replaces the SERD resource and can rename himself to any port
>From A through F.  Needless to say, most programs expect to talk only to A and
B so I usually take over A for use with VersaTerm PRO.  I seem to recall
Lonnie telling me that VT PRO could talk to other ports, but I forgot the
details.  Perhaps someone else could fill that in.  I think it involved some
custom resource addition.

At any rate, it works fine.  It is a lot better than plugging wires because I
was able to write a QuickKeys macro to switch back and forth with just a
function key.  Of course, doing it by hand, er, mouse isn't all that tough
either.

The big trick is the system limitations.  Apple needs to release their
communications manager for multiple serial ports.  It would seem logical to
simply define A-Z but we'll have to see what Apple does before any terminal
programs will fall in line.

Of course, now that I have this working, the Lab is going to an ISDN telephone
system that doesn't use modems so I can't use it and have to go back to
plugging and unplugging my serial port.  Damn!

Jon

N         L                  pugh@ccc.nmfecc.gov
 M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                    Livermore, California 94550
     C                         (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 89 23:17:00 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: laserwriter questions replied

abbound%cuavax.duet asks how to turn off printing the test page:

Send to the printer the following PostScript code:

  000000
  serverdict begin exitserver
  statusdict begin
  false setdostartpage

Change false to true to turn it on again.  I got this info from
this group discussion earlier this year and it works for me.

wood@erevax asks about flag pages for laserwriter:

if the flag pages he refers to are the cover pages which allow
to separate numerous output files, he should look carefully at
the standard print job dialog for the laserwriter.  It allows
to choose no cover page, print it before or after the document.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 89 23:10:51 EDT
From: Pete Harrison <MERCURY@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: Lost Hard Disk Space

Hello all.
Recently I noticed that a large part (>10Meg) of my hard disk has
become full without my adding anything of that size to it.  The only
thing I can figure is that a program that crashed the other day took
the space with it.  I have SUM and have checked the disk to see what
file is taking up the space, but cannot find the name anywhere, visible
or invisible.  I can see the sectors that were filled with the disk
map, however, I do not want to mess with the disk that way and take
a chance on really screwing things up.  Does anyone know how to clear
up this space without rebuilding the disk.  Its a Quantum 40 formatted
using Unimac StorWare if that is important.

P.S.  Its not 90 days old yet, but I am already having power up boot
problems.  Fortunately, by buying aftermarket, I have a 2 year warranty
on it.

P.P.S.  Does anyone know the address and or phone number of Quantum
so that I can find out if they even care about these problems with their
drives.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 10:21:36 EDT
From: Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Networking

Here are a few letters relating to my posting about networking.  Hopefully
this will stimulate more responses.

 Message: 3428105, 15 lines
 To: Michael Webb
 From: Abraham_Vanderspek@um.cc.umich.edu

 Hallo Michael,
 Regarding your Mathematica-IIcx-SE questions in Info-Mac:
 I don't know whether or not you can serve the Mat kernel that way
 but one can try that out by setting it up in for example the
 Advanced Workstation Lab (AWL). The networking should not be
 a major problem however but may require a repeater. Your actual
 needs are better discussed by phone or person in AA.
 We run a sizable AppleTalk network  we have some experience there
 If you want to talk about that then call me at my office
 after laborday.
 Abraham Vanderspek
 Dept Anesthesiology
 Mott Hosp, C4139 box 0800
 ph (76)3-2436
 Good luck.

 Message: 3429146, 52 lines
 Subject: AppleTalk
 To: Michael Webb
 From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu

 Michael,

 I dont know much about networks myself, but we just connected a Mac II to an
 AppleTalk network that already existed.  The problem is that the Mac II was
 distant.  A couple of calls to Apple dealers got me the following
 information:

     o The theoretical limit on the distance between any two nodes on
       the network is 200 feet.

       [A node is defined (loosely) as any device on the net, thus a Mac
       is a node, so is a LaserWriter or an ImageWriter II equipped with
       AppleTalk card].

     o The practical limit is more like 150-175 feet.

 We connected the Mac II to AppleTalk with a 100 feet cable, and it worked
 like a charm.  For longer distances, you will need a "repeater", a device
 that receives a signal that is getting weak, enhances it and retransmits it.
 Also, some third party products allow AppleTalk to go 2-3 thousand feet, but
 I dont know much about them.  But then again, is it worth the trouble for
 only two Macs?

 By the way, maybe you can even convert your "pro-IBM" professor!  There is a
 product from Apple called "LocalTalk PC Card."  It sells for about $220, and
 lets a PC connect to AppleTalk, which means you could make your professor
 happy/happier by letting him use the LaserWriter too.

 Confused by the terms LocalTalk and AppleTalk?  I used to be too.  First,
 life was easy, there was no such a thing called LocalTalk.  Only AppleTalk.
 And every Mac (even the original 128k Mac) came equipped with it.  Then
 Apple introduced AppleTalk Phase 2, which can now handle EtherNet, Token Ring
 networks, etc.  The term LocalTalk was introduced to refer to the original
 AppleTalk, i.e. the hardware built into Macs and LaserWriters, and AppleTalk
 is now (I think) the larger software umbrella that supports all these
 different kinds of protocols.

 I hope this helped, rather than confuse you some more.  Ask if you have any
 questions.

                                               Hisham.

 Hisham A. Abboud
 Computer Center/Academic Services
 The Catholic University of America
 Washington, D.C. 20064

 Bitnet:          ABBOUD@CUA                           |
 Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU    |
     or     ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@192.31.193.2      |

 Message: 3437083, 89 lines
 Imported: 2:57pm EDT, Mon Aug 28/89
 Subject: your Info-Mac queries
 To: Michael Webb
 From: mmcintos@sirius.UVic.ca

    I saw your queries in Info-Mac:

 > We want to buy two Macs. that we want to link over several hundred feet.
 > Ideally, one would be a IIcx, the other an SE.  If it is possible, one
 > would run the kernal of Mathematica, the other would connect to it and
 > run the kernel (Mathematica does this doesn't it?) remotely.  The IIcx would
 > also have a laserwriter NT hooked up to it, and it would be nice to be able
 > to print on it from the SE (which would have an imagewriter or deskwriter
 > or something hooked to it).  We don't know much about networking, and
 > want to know if this is possible, and how to do it.  The hitch is the macs
 > will be in separate offices, hundreds (up to a thousand) of feet apart.
 >
 > A good reliable system (I don't want my pro-IBM thesis advisor to
 > hassle me if it doesn't work!) would be great.  It doesn't have to do
 > much more than I said.  Please, if you reply, start from the beginning.  I
 > know a little about using and programming macs, but nothing about networks.
 > (Got a chance to learn, though).

         I don't know about Mathematica's capabilities, but we do have
         our Macs on a network here.  We use PhoneNET by Farallon
         Computing Inc.  The built-in Macintosh physical network is
         accessed through the printer port on the back of your Mac.  It
         supports a data transfer rate of 240.3 kilobits per second.
         PhoneNET is just the wiring which interconnects the network
         nodes.  The Apple supplied cabling is called Localtalk.
         PhoneNET is cheaper and we have it running on regular modular
         phone cord as well as the serial (RS232) lines which were
         installed in the buildings originally.

       PhoneNET can run distances of up to 6000ft, but that large of
         a distance requires careful layout.  1000ft shouldn't be much
         of a problem, though.  Like I said, you can use previously
         installed serial lines to do this, or just run a new cable
         (like modular phone cord).

       You can definitely use a remote printer once Macs are
         interconnected.   There are programs called print spoolers
         available which can do this.  Some people use one by TOPS
         here, but I don't have any idea how good it is - look around.
       If you are using any kind of Laserwriter, it can be hooked
         directly to the network.  There is a PhoneNET connector for
         that, too.  That way, any machine on the network can print to
         it directly.  If you have an Imagewriter, you can do the same
         thing by getting an Appletalk card for it.  Looks like you may
         not need a print spoller after all!  Just hook everything to
         the network if you trust everyone who has access to it (we do
         this here in general).

       I think that this will make a reliable system for you.  It's
         relatively easy to set up and we haven't had any problems with
         it.

 Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.uvic.ca>
 University of Victoria, ECE Dept. | "...the mystery of life isn't a problem to
 Box 1700, Victoria, BC, CANADA    |     solve but a reality to experience."
 V8W 2Y2            (604) 721-7211 |                       from Dune
 UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sirius!mmcintos

  |   Michael Webb                   University of Michigan Physics Dept. |
  |                                  1038 Randall Laboratory              |
  |   Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu   Ann Arbor, MI  48109                 |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 11:49:42 EDT
From: Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Networking:  EtherNet

Recently, I requested info on networking Macs over a thousand feet or so.
I got some good info back, which should have been posted here recently
(maybe even with this message).  I need more info, so will ask a
more specific question.

It turns out that there is (will be) an Ethernet set up in our dept.
here, and it may be possible for us to hook into it.  My questions:

What is the best 'box' to do this?
What are the limitations to these boxes?
What are the benefits, drawbacks to being on a 'public' as opposed to
    'private' network?
Is is possible to protect the laserwriter from unauthorized users?
Do you need one of your Macs to be a server?  (i.e. how does this all
    work?).
How good, compatible, etc. are the packages that allow a Vax to act
    as a server for the Macs?
What obvious question have I missed?

Any pointers to simple tutorial explanations of all this would be greatly
appreciated, as well as product reviews.

Thanks in advance.  I will post any useful responses.

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 10:46:13 EDT
From: dmg@cornea.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Quickmail Bridges

I have a problem with the current bridging solutions for Quickmail
that hopefully someone in Net-land can help me with.

My office is located outside of one of MITRE's two main facilities
(Bedford, MA and McLean, VA).  In order to gain access to these
facilities by dial-in lines (including Telenet), one needs to pass
through a security check called a SecurID.  Basically, the SecurID
system assigns each of its users a random password every sixty seconds;
the user is kept informed of their current password with a small,
credit-card size device that displays the user's current password.

In order for Quickmail to dial in to MITRE, it would have to pass
through the SecurID check, but Quickmail has no facility to allow a
user to supply an ad-hoc password, so it can clear the SecurID check.

Does anyone know of a third-party product that will either (1) allow
Quickmail to query a user for a password, and thus pass this check or
(2) allow the user to set up the link manually, and then pass control
of the link to Quickmail?

Alternatively, CE Software has a bridge development package that can
be used with MPW Pascal.  Conceivably I could buy this and write my
own bridge.  Does anyone have experience with this toolkit?  Will I
be able to write a customized bridge that does what I need?

David Gursky
Member of the Technical Staff, W-143
Special Projects Department
The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 89 10:53:00 EDT
From: "Greg Hamm, MBCL" <hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Request for info:  LCD panels for overhead projection use

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has purchased, used, or seen
one of the many models of Mac-compatible LCD panels which can project
Mac screen images using an overhead projector.  We bought one early model
a couple of years ago;  we would like to get an improved model now.  (One
brand we're considering is PC VIEWER (tm), made by In Focus Systems, which
comes in various degrees of luxury -- any specific experience here would
be especially appreciated.)

Issues seem to be:

	- image quality
	- refresh rate
	- resolution
	- grey levels
	- ease of connection/disconnection (can I move it to another Mac?)
	- use with other systems (such as PCs)
	- "extra" features, such as frame memory, remote control, etc.
	- price

If there is enough response, I'll summarize to INFO-MAC.

Thanks,

Greg
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gregory H. Hamm                           || Phone:  (201)932-4864
Director, Molecular Biology Computing Lab ||
Waksman Institute/CABM                    || BITNET:   hamm@biovax
P.O. Box 759, Rutgers University          || Internet: hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855 * USA                ||
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------

Date: Tue 29 Aug 89 06:29:09-PST
From: ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@star.stanford.edu
Subject: Resend Mac II Video Card utility

I recentally asked if anyone had "the Apple Macintosh II Video Card
Utility".  Someone responded and sent me a copy, but in my overeagerness
to unbinhex it I forgot to save the message header.  And after running
binhex4 I knoticed that our local message router had clipped the tail
end of the file.

So would the kind sole who sent me a copy, please send a copy to the
archive.

Thanks, in advance,
Rick Rohan

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 89 08:51 -0330
From: dgraham%kean.mun.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SuperSpool

spooling and it works just fine.  As I recall, the version in the
archives may be specific to DataFrame drives.  It comes with a very
nice DA which lets you reshuffle the print queue, delete items,
preview them, etc.

Sorry if a bunch of people have already answered this!

David Graham
Department of French & Spanish

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 89 23:10:30 CDT
From: Farrell Gerbode <@rice.edu:farrell@brazos.rice.edu>
Subject: Turning PostScript test page off

In Info-Mac Digest V7 #150, there was a request for the PostScript command
that turns off the test page on the LaserWriter.  The following program
illustrates the way to suppress the "startpage".  As I recall, it is from
the "PostScript Reference Manual" section on the LaserWriter (by Adobe
Systems, Inc.; published by Addison-Wesley about 1986).

------begin-------
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
  false setdostartpage
end
-------end--------

NOTE: you are changing the persistent state of the LaserWriter with this
program.  Be very careful what you do.  For more information see the above
reference or "LaserWriter Reference" (Apple Computer; Addison-Wesley
1988), pp. 90-102.

Farrell Gerbode <farrell@rice.edu>
Rice University Networking and Computing Systems

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 89 20:57:04 EDT
From: Bob Fletcher <BOBF%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: VT220 Emulator for the Mac

Does anyone know of a terminal emulation program that will do VT220
emulation? I have a friend who is using a Macintosh SE and is looking
for such an emulator.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob Fletcher
BOBF@BROWNVM.BITNET
BOBF@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 09:50:04 DNT
From: Jakob Nielsen  Tech Univ of Denmark <DATJN%NEUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Z88 experience

I do have a Cambridge Z88 and can report the following:

The hardware is extremely good: Small, light (= actually portable),
and quiet when you type (important when using the machine for notetaking
in meetings).

The software is bad: Not consistent with the Mac interface at all.
Not only is it a text-only system, but they do not even follow the
standard Macintosh command-key assignments.
Only buy this machine if you are not scared of learning cryptic command
sets (but since the person asking the question also worked with Unix, this
may be no problem).
I can only say that none of my British colleagues will admit to having
been the user interface consultant for the Z88 (and I sure wouldn't admit
it if I had been respponsible for its user interface).

File transfer to/from the Mac works well - I have no experience with
connecting the Z88 to other machines, but it should certainly be possible.

End of Info-Mac Digest