Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/31/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 30 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 154

Today's Topics:
                 030 Direct Slot vs. Nubus Questions.
            [shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
                   Buying a Mac - any suggestions?
                             Color Globe
                       Communications packages.
                        Compact your stacks!!!
                 Electric Field Computation Packages?
               HP Deskjet, Imagewriter LQ, Grappler LQ
                          Info-Mac Digest V7
              LCD projection system/nView ViewFrame II+2
                      MAC II, IIX ACCELERATORS.
                         Modula-2 on the Mac
                               Monitors
                     Object-Oriented Programming
               Princeton Graphics Display with MacIIcx?
                 Software for Course Scheduling Query

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 89 14:29:46 EDT
From: "Stephen M. Wall" (PM-CAWS) <smwall@pica.army.mil>
Subject: 030 Direct Slot vs. Nubus Questions.

I am considering the purchase of a MAC in the near future, and have pretty
well narrowed my options to either an SE/30 or IIcx.  In order to make a final
decision I need information on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the
SE/30's 030 Direct Slot vs the IIcx's Nubuses.  What I have been able to
gather by reading magazines and talking to salesmen is as follows:

	030 slot			Nubus

Pros	- 32 bit capable		- 32 bit capable
	- Probably all I need		- 2 slots open (after video card is
					  installed)
					- Large and growing application card
					  market means high probability of
					  continued Apple and third party
					  developer support for bus architecture

Cons	- Only one slot.
	- Uncertain market for card
	  developers may limit
	  choices in future.

There remain a few questions that I haven't been able to get answered by local
sources:

What is the throughput capability of the 030 slot?  I gather it will support a
pretty complex video card.  I've heard very sketchy descriptions of a Nubus
expansion chassis that will plug into the 030 slot, but need more details.
Does this expansion chassis incorporate 6 fully operational 10Mhz Nubus slots,
or are they slower?  Could the SE/30 support this expansion chassis at 20Mhz
through the 030 slot?

Speaking of 20Mhz Nubus slots, vaporware salesmen say that Apple will soon
upgrade the MAC II* Nubus to 20 Mhz.  If and when this happens, will upgrading
an existing MAC II* be:

		a.  Easy (new System version)
		b.  Messy (new ROM)
		c.  Godawful (new mother board or new everything)

What will a 20 Mhz Nubus do that a 10 Mhz Nubus can't?

		Steve Wall

Internet	smwall@pica.army.mil

US Mail		Office Of The Product Manager
		Howitzer Improvement Program, ATTN: AMCPM-HIP-SY
		Picatinny Arsenal, NJ  07806-5000

Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's, and are
subject to change whenever I feel like it.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 09:37:29 PDT
From: shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: [shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)

I am the AppleShare Network Manager here at Academic Computing
at San Francisco State University.  Tonight something strange
happened to our Mac IIcx:

	I received a call at home indicating that the Mac IIcx was not
booting up.  I was informed that after loading our INIT files, it poped
up with a BOMB screen with ERROR=1.  I found out {after some
struggle}, that the problem was in the Virus & VirusDetect INIT files.
When they existed in the System folder, this error was produced.
When they were taken out, the error went away and the computer
booted correctly.

	I have since removed the files {Virus & VirusDetect INIT
temporarily} and placed the file GateKeeper to keep  {I hope} any
more {future} viruses from getting in.

My question is why did I continue to have this BOMB even after
I replaced the system files on the Mac IIcx?  I am using 6.03 and the
IIcx had not had any problems before tonight.  Also could one of you
send me {directly via E-MAIL} a list of SYSTEM Bombs and their
meanings.

Thank you,

Shahryar Ghazneini Hashemi

<shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 20:50:28 EDT
From: Leora <21765LD%MSU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Buying a Mac - any suggestions?

Any suggestions for a Mac User about to buy her very first Mac?

So far the plan is to buy an SE with two HD floppies from the University (at a
educational discount).  Since money is quite tight, would it be worth my while
to forgo the SE, live without a printer and buy a plus? (A savings of 1200).
I am interested in hearing from Plus owners on the joy and pain of
plus ownership.  (Also from those who have expanded and modified the plus).

Storage:  Ehman's 45 meg external sounded good, and the right price.  Any
testimonials for low cost/meg drives?  A friend  suggested forgoing the
hard drive and buying 4 meg of SIMMS instead.  Essentially he feels that with
a RAM disk and the 1.4 meg drives, a hard drive is an unnecessary expense.
(I do a lot of Hypercard development, Mainframe downloading, and your
normal word processing etc.).  Having used hard drives at work, I forget
the frustration of not having one.  Is there anyone who has tried this
configuration?

Keyboard:  The U. sells the Mac extended keyboard for $142.  Know of any good
imitators for < $?.

Modems:  Once again, any testimonials for a inexpensive modem (approx. $150)
-this will get heavy usage.

Words from the wise, stories from the experienced, etc... all will be
gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance,

Leora Druckman
21765ld@ibm.cl.msu.edu
Acknowledge-To: <21765LD@MSU>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 16:46:02 CDT
From: pwp@shamash.cdc.com (Pete Poorman - HOUFAC)
Subject: Color Globe

Following is a binhexed Stuffit archive of "Color Globe", authored by
Paul Mercer.

This progam draws a spinning color globe in a small window.  Interesting
to run in the background under Multifinder.  Includes menu options to control
speed, display of drawing rate and to align the window.

Try experimenting with overlapping other windows.  Makes very obvious how
the shape of the clip region and the alignment of the PortRect affect the
performance of CopyBits!

Original source unknown (I found it on a BBS in Houston).
--
Peter W. Poorman
pwp@shamash.cdc.com

[Archived as /info-mac/app/color-globe.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 10:26:10 EDT
From: Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Communications packages.

Here are a few letters relating to my posting about communications packages.
Maybe I'll get more responses.  Sounds like a lot of people use Zterm.

 Message: 3432395, 9 lines
 Imported: 7:38pm EDT, Sat Aug 26/89
 Subject: Communications program
 To: Michael Webb
 From: newman@Portia.stanford.edu

 hi again!  About comm--
 I use Red Ryder 10.3.  I like it, but have limited experience with other
 packages -- have been using it since it was ShareWare.  What I like most about
 RedRyder is its EXCELLENT VT100 EMULATION -- I have used some other packages
 which are just a bit off, which makes remote VI very annoying.
 I will send you an old ShareWare version if you want, I think it is 9.?
 By the way, I have never gotten XMODEM to work, although it is faster than KERMIT
 (which is what I use).  I do a lot of file transfer, KERMIT is slow but reliable.
 Jon Newman

 Message: 3433323, 27 lines
 Subject: Info-Mac postings
 To: Michael Webb
 From: williams@cbl.umd.edu

 Secondly, you asked about communications programs.  I've been just using
 Kermit, but recently I decided I needed a little more functionality
 without having to spend a lot of money.  So, I downloaded Red Ryder from
 the Info-Mac archives (I forget just where it is, but using FTP to mess
 around in the directories will find it for you in about fifteen
 seconds).  I don't think it can do VT240, but it works brilliantly in
 VT100 mode, it has a very nice, fairly idiot-proof scripting facility,
 and (here's the punch line) IT COSTS ONLY $40.00!

 So, I'm sold.  I sent in my $40.00 just a couple of days ago, and I have
 yet to hear from the FreeSoft people, but I notice that MacConnection is
 still selling the product (for $50.00), so there must still be some
 support (I understand the guy who wrote it went on to write Microphone,
 which is supposed to be extremely good comm. software.).

 Hope this has been some help, and please do keep me posted on your
 network developments.

               -Bill Williams
                St. Mary's College of Maryland

 Message: 3435028, 20 lines
 Subject: Mac comm stuff
 To: Michael Webb
 From: eek@pecok.mitre.org

 While I was at UM, we used Red Ryder (avail. from the pc2: directory on ub)
 and were very happy with it.  If you're interested in some Mac help, the person
 who actually owned the Mac I was working with is still there, and I'm sure
 she would be happy to help you out.  She's had a lot of experience with the
 Mac and is familiar with using it in the context of UM's computing systems.
 Her name is Marie Williams (undergrad.-electrical engineering).  Her e-mail
 address is Marie_Williams@ub (or spockette@ub).  I don't know her exact address
 or phone number right now, but I know she'll be living at Baits this fall
 semester (probably Cross house) so you could call and get her phone number.

 Have fun, and don't let the IBMers get you down!

 As a final note from someone homesick for A2, have a Zingerman's and a fragel
 for me--I can't believe I have to wait a whole year and do real work until
 I can get back up there!  :-}

 Ericka Kammerer
 eek@pecok.mitre.org
 MITRE, Corp.
 McLean, VA

 Message: 3435560, 22 lines
 Subject: RE: Modems
 To: Michael Webb
 From: hallett@shoreland.med.ge.com

 I use Zterm v. 0.8.  Despite the pre-release version number, it is
 EXCELLENT.  It handles all the current transfer protocols with the
 added feature that it automatically detects Zmodem.  This means that
 if you start sending a file from your host using Zmodem, Zterm detects
 it and automatically begins a receive.  It also switches between text
 and MacBinary(II) automatically.

 I've found that Kermit is less likely to screw up than the
 {X,Y,Y/G,Z}modem protocols, but Zmodem is very reliable, adjusts
 packet sizes to get maxmimal throughput and has the ability to restart
 a transfer where it was left off if the transfer is interrupted.
 Since I've started using Zterm, over very noisy phone lines at 2400 baud,
 I've had only 2 CRC errors, no files were corrupted upon receipt and
 I've been getting about 93-97% throughput.

 Hope this helps.

                 Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                     GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414
                             Milwaukee, WI  53201
           (414) 548-5173 : EMAIL -  hallett@positron.gemed.ge.com

 Message: 3437083, 89 lines
 Imported: 2:57pm EDT, Mon Aug 28/89
 Subject: your Info-Mac queries
 To: Michael Webb
 From: mmcintos@sirius.UVic.ca

 >I am getting a modem soon, and want to know about some good pd, shareware
 >and maybe commercial communications packages.  Most of what I do is connect
 >(emulate vt100 usually) to remote hosts (e.g. host ub here at Univ.
 >of Mich) for mail, etc.  (I am currently doing that with terminals).
 >I also like to do file transfers (using Kermit) from these hosts.
 >When using Univ. computers here, I have used VersaTerm, which I like, but
 >I'm not sure I need to spend the $$; maybe there is a good shareware or
 >freeware program out there.  I have two programs that I have never run yet
 >(no modem!) called QVT, and ZTerm.  How do these rate?
 >
 >On a related note, what are the relative merits of doing file transfer with
 >Kermit vs. Xmodem, Ymodem and Zmodem?

       I use Zterm almost everyday.  It seems to have a very good
         vt100 emulator and the Zmodem transfers are very fast (my SE
         can use almost all the 9600 baud bandwidth).  If you are using
         a UNIX machine, I would recommend looking at 'uw' also.
         Standing for Unix Windows, it allow you to have up to 7
         windows open to your UNIX machine from your Mac at the same
         time.  It does this by having a server running on the UNIX
         machine which talk to the uw application on your Mac (each
         window can be running any UNIX program you wish).  All this
         happens through a normal serial line!  uw does not do file
         transfer, however.  Zterm is shareware, uw is free.

       I would definitely recommend you use Zmodem for data transfer.
         It is certainly faster than Kermit and probably faster than
         XorYModem (but I can't say for sure).

 Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.uvic.ca>
 University of Victoria, ECE Dept. | "...the mystery of life isn't a problem to
 Box 1700, Victoria, BC, CANADA    |     solve but a reality to experience."
 V8W 2Y2            (604) 721-7211 |                       from Dune
 UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sirius!mmcintos

 Message: 3437244, 18 lines
 Subject: Scripts and VT240
 To: Michael Webb
 From: CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

 Micheal,

         Zmodem is by far the fastest and cleanest file transfer protocol I have
 seen (it even allows you to recover from broken transfers).  Kermit and Xmodem
 are sluggish in comparison.  Zterm is an excellent shareware program that
 supports Xmodem, Ymodem, and Zmodem.  But your mainframe computer must also
 have a program that supports these protocols as well.  We have a Vax computer
 here and are using VMS.  I have SZ and RZ programs that support Zmodem
 transfers running on our VAX.  The sources are in C.  Unfortunately they are
 Unix ports and have user interface problems (unless you like alphabet soup).
 But even with some its minor annoyances, I use Zmodem exclusively.

 Bill Bryson
 User Services

  |   Michael Webb                   University of Michigan Physics Dept. |
  |                                  1038 Randall Laboratory              |
  |   Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu   Ann Arbor, MI  48109                 |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 89 15:09:19 PDT
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Compact your stacks!!!

A brief suggestion to those donating stackware to the archives - please
be sure to "compact" your stacks before stuffing and binhexing.  I just
downloaded a >150K archive file of four stacks, only to discover that the
stacks had not been compacted before submission.  Compacting the stacks
reduced the file size by 66%!!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 AUG 89 09:47:48 BST
From: CNAS17%vaxa.strathclyde.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: Electric Field Computation Packages?

%
I need to do some electric field computations in three-dimensions. Does
anyone know of any Mac software which can do the job?
Please mail me direct.
Thanx .......Rod. Shelton
(Dept. of Elec. Eng., Strathclyde University, Glasgow, UK.)
|         Internet:cnas17%vaxe.strath.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk     |
|      EARN/BITNet: cnas17%vaxe.strath.ac.uk@ukacrl                |
|            JANet: cnas17@uk.ac.strath.vaxe                       |
|   BTGold/Dialcom:10079:gow178                                    |
|            Telex: 9312131896 (ok g)                              |
|    Voice 'phone : +44(41)333-9334 (24hrs)                        |
|       Snail Mail: 274a, St. George's Rd., Glasgow G3 6JR, UK.    |
%

------------------------------

Date: Wed Aug 30 12:40 MSZ 1989
From: unido!gmbh!madg!raith@uunet.uu.net
Subject: HP Deskjet, Imagewriter LQ, Grappler LQ

I use Orange Micro's Grappler LQ printer interface to connect a Mac SE
(System 6.0.3, Finder 5.5) to an HP DeskJet printer. This interface
requires the use of an Apple Imagewriter LQ driver. This driver came
with the Grappler in version 1.0, whereas the current version is 2.0
as delivered by Apple.

Question 1:

What does version 2.0 that version 1.0 could not (in my case 1.0 works
quite fine)?

Question 2:

Version 2.0 works equally well if version 1.0 is booted and version
2.0 is subsequently selected by chooser, but produces garbage when
version 2.0 is booted. Maybe 1.0 is active although 2.0 is choosen and
2.0 doesn't work with Grappler LQ?

Question 3:

Are there other printer drivers besides Grappler LQ to use with the
Mac and HP DeskJet?

I would appreciate information from anyone who encountered similar
problems or knows answers to above problems.

Thanks in advance.

Rudolf Raith
MAD Intelligent Systems GmbH
Database Reasoning Group
8000 Munich
Federal Republic of Germany
Kronstadterstrasse 9

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 89 15:42:38 EDT
From: PHILLIPS%PORTLAND.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Wm.A.Phillips)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7

153
I moved my Kodak DataShow video card from my old SE to my new SE30.
Required a call to Kodak for new attachment point on SE30, but no
problem, works fine.  Kodak seems to offer best resolution, refresh,
contrast, etc.  I saw a new panel of theirs at MacWorld - gives a
larger screen, same quality.  Good luck.  P.S. wait a couple of
months and the LCD panel you buy to make your IIci portable will
capable of being placed on your overhead projector.  P.P.S.  The
Kodak/
Elmo overhead projector also appears superior to the competition.
Bill Phillips. Economics Department. University of Somewhere Maine

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 89 10:43:29 EDT
From: gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: LCD projection system/nView ViewFrame II+2

Greg Hamm asks about LCD panels for the Mac.  I had to research this topic
last Jan., and here is what I discovered:

The most recent review I have seen was in the Jan '89 MacUser.  It has a
good explanation of the technology.

At that time the preferred units seemed to be the Kodak DataShow and the
Sharp QA-50.  vNiew was just releasing their new ViewFrame II+2.  We
purchased the vNiew product, and are now in the process of purchasing a
second unit.  We are very pleased with its performance and integrity.
In general, look for the following in an LCD display:

>       - image quality : DTN technology (Double Twist Nematic) provides
        true black and white display.  Don't buy the older supertwist.  DTN
        also seems much more resilient to contrast problems generated by
        projector heat.

>       - refresh rate : if you want to do interactive work, you need at
        least 10 frames/sec, and more is better.

>       - resolution : unless you are doing something special, the standard
        640x480 is sufficient

>       - grey levels : at least four, eight is better, especially if working
        with a color machine.

>       - ease of connection/disconnection (can I move it to another Mac?)
>       - use with other systems (such as PCs)
        Some need cards/adaptors for each machine, others will only work
        with either Macs or PC's.  The ViewFrame comes Mac II/PS 2/PC
        compatible (no cards, all cables included); often Mac SE's need a
        video adaptor ($100-$150 ea, needs to be installed by someone
        comfortable with high CRT voltages).

>       - "extra" features, such as frame memory, remote control, etc.
        You get what you pay for.  If you need a highly portable system,
        frame memory is nice, but expensive (+>$1000).  In my experience,
        the remote is a luxury, since in most cases you set up the unit
        at the beginning of the presentation and more or less leave it,
        except perhaps to adjust constrast.  One item/feature I would
        *strongly* recommend is some some form cooling system - this
        greatly increases the screen's ability to hold its contrast ratio
        over time.  Also check for carrying cases - some are included, some
        are extra, some are hard and some are soft.

>       - price : the three popular models I mentioned at the top are all
        in the same price rang: $1300 - $1700.

The ViewFrame is a DTN screen, comes in somewhere around 14 frames/sec, has
standard resolution, 8 levels of grey, built-in fan, and comes with a very
nice _hard shell_ case, no extra charge.  The slightly older model tested
by MacUser was the only model to not lose any contrast over a 4 hour test
period (my experience has been that there is some loss of contrast, but very
little).

nView Corporation
11835 Canon Boulevard, Suite C-101
Newport News, VA  23606
(804) 873-1354      FAX: 804/873/2153

One last item - the performance of all these units will increase
*significantly* when used with a low-wattage overhead projector.  Normal
projectors are usually in the 600 watt range, and the heat they generate
will seriously degrade the contrast of even the better machines in as
little as 20-30 minutes.  A 200-300 watt projector will allow most of the
panels to operate effectively for much longer periods of time.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Gregg TeHennepe                        | Academic Computing and User Services
Minicomputer Specialist                | Box 5482
BITNET:  gateh@conncoll                | Connecticut College
Phone:   (203) 447-7681                | New London, CT   06320

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 89 08:41:56 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MAC II, IIX ACCELERATORS.

Here I go again...

Has anyone on this list used any acclerators for the Mac II or IIx?
So far, I have heard of 4, but only fleeting references and no extensive
reviews...

1. Dove Computer 030 - $995
2. Daystar 33 30/030 - $5995
   Daystar 50 30/030 - ???
3. SiClone - $4995
4. Mac IIcix - Huh, where did that come from ???

Please, can anyone share any information?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 89 11:30:21 +0100
From: G. J. Baker <gge%CXA.DARESBURY.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Modula-2 on the Mac

Hi Folks,
         Does anybody know of a commercial/PD Modula-2 system that will run
on a Mac SE. The PD one in the info-mac archives does not work on my system
(6.0.3). Any help gratefully received as my software distributer is having
problems.
Regards

G.J.Baker

JANET:gge@uk.ac.dl.cxa                     |  Post:    S.E.R.C.,
Internet:gge%cxa.dl.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu  |           Daresbury Laboratories,
EARN/BITNET:gge%cxa.dl.ac.uk@UKACRL        |           Warrington, WA4 4AD,
UUCP:gge%cxa.dl.ac.uk@ukc.uucp             |           U.K.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 22:17 EDT
From: <LGREEN%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Monitors

I have recently had a request by a faculty member here at the college who
wanted to know whether there was any way to use a non Macintosh monitor, for
instance a Sony monitor with the Macintosh.  So I guess basically I need to know
whether I can get video output of the Macintosh and put it through to a color
Sony monitor.  Any ideas?  They want to use the monitor for students so they
can see the screen while work is done on it. Thanks in advance..
c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!/
Lyman Green                             Oh Mr. Jones, your legs are so swollen!
User Services Consultant                Lemon Curry?                          /
Wheaton College Norton,MA               They stamp them when they're young!   /
Bitnet:  LGREEN@WHEATNMA                Hello Brian!                          /
******************************************************************************/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1989 22:29:15 PDT
From: lsr@apple.com (Larry Rosenstein)
Subject: Object-Oriented Programming

In article <8908022311.AA12187@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) writes:

> makes sense.  Soooooo.... why, although MacApp fits this model and has
been
> around for years, haven't we seen libraries of public domain and
commercial
> objects springing up all over the place?  There are a bunch of
commercial and
> shareware apps that have been written using MacApp, but still there is
not
> so much as a single source code object in the Info-Mac archives.

There are some object libraries available from the MacApp Developers
Association.  For example, I contributed a class to create custom menus
and implement stationery pads in MacApp.   (These were for MacApp 1.x, and
I haven't had time to update them to 2.0.)  Developer Technical Support
distributes some sample code disks, which include some object-oriented
examples.

The MacApp 2.0 beta manuals include a cookbook section that contains a
description of how to do some "uncommon" things in MacApp, and the
Developers Association is going to make that code available on a disk, I
think.

One problem is that the people using MacApp the most are the ones
producing products; not necessarily expensive commercial products, but
they are not writing programs just for the fun of hacking.  This may be
because the cost of getting MPW and MacApp means that only people working
on products use MacApp.

I know from experience that if you are busy putting together a product, it
is hard to find the time to make various classes available.  (I have
several things myself.)  Creating a reusable module is much harder than
creating an application or a simple subroutine library.  You have to
anticipate how people might want to customize the objects, what methods
they might need to override, and document everything.

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.
Object Specialist

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 89 16:29 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen - Micro Specialist)
Subject: Princeton Graphics Display with MacIIcx?

Greetings,

Anyone have any experience connecting a Princeton Graphics multisync analog
monitor to a MacIIcx?

Anyone know of a way to use a Seagate harddrive which is currently in an AT
clone in a MacIIcx?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 89 15:58:33 EDT
From: williams@cbl.umd.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Software for Course Scheduling Query

I am looking for Mac (or any other) software to do class scheduling.
Nothing sophisticated is wanted, just a program to take X classes, Y
time-slots, and Z rooms, add some constraints (Professor X won't teach
before 11:00 AM on Thursdays), and come up with a fit.  We have a fancy
program for the VAX that does student scheduling, but that's much more
complex than I need (it's also very costly).  Any ideas?

			-Bill Williams
			-St. Mary's College of Maryland

End of Info-Mac Digest