Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/05/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  4 Sep 89       Volume 7 : Issue 157

Today's Topics:
                          Almanac Stack 1.52
                          A Simple Question
                          autosave in Word 4
                           Deskjet Drivers
                       DeskTop Refresh Problem
                          hierDA INIT 0.9984
              HP Deskwriter and System-7 incompatablity?
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #155
                Laser printer toner cartridge hazards
                             Megalomania
                    Modeless Dialogs in HyperCard
                               monitors
                        More on ShowDialogXCMD
                            MW II launcher
                              RayTracer
             searching/indexing/browsing software for mac
                              SendPS 2.0
                             SetNode cdev
                           tappytype-12.hqx
              Telephone operator system on a Mac network
                            UnScrolly 1.0
                        UUCP for the Macintosh

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 14 May 89 23:00:29 GMT
From: kaz@nanovx.UUCP (Mike Kazmierczak)
Subject: Almanac Stack 1.52

This is a shareware hypercard stack used for astronomy calculations.
Chebyshev polynomials are used to calculate planetary positions.  Solar
coordinates, as well as, rising and setting times are also calculated.
Also included are predictions for eclipses of Jupiter's Galilean
satellites.  $5 is the shareware fee.

Mike Kazmierczak     --  kaz@nanovx.uucp

[Archived /info-mac/hypercard/astronomical-almanac.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 89 17:29:13 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: A Simple Question

Somewhere along the way, I managed to set my project name and resource file in
THINK Pascal 2.0 to some default.  Going over the manual isn't helping.  Does
anyone know what the magic combo is to set default attributes for new
projects?  I hate being senile!

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Sep 89 00:07:58 EDT
From: "Dr. A.Bykat" <BYKAT%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: autosave in Word 4

Is there a way to make Word 4 automatically save every so many minutes?
I cannot find any mention of auto-save in the manual.
With thanks,
Alex Bykat
Acknowledge-To: <BYKAT@UTCVM>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 89 14:45:08 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Deskjet Drivers

>Are there other printer drivers besides Grappler LQ to use with the
>Mac and HP DeskJet?

Yes...

- Grappler makes a better product than the LQ, called Grappler LS.
(the LQ is meant for hooking up parallel 24 pin printers, whereas the
LS is for hooking up deskjets and laserjets via their serial ports)

- Printer Interface III (for the Deskjet) and IV (for the laserjet)
are good basic drivers from Datapak software.

- MacPrint is an excellent driver, especially if you want to use
the deskjet's internal fonts or font cartridges (it has the unique
feature of creating screen fonts that match the spacing character-
istics of the internal or cartridge fonts).  MacPrint is from
Insight Development.

- Jetlink Express from GDT Softworks provides the same capability
as the HP DeskWriter.  That is, fully scaleable Times, Helvetica,
Courier, and Symbol fonts with the basic system and the full set of
fonts found in most laser printers available as an option.  This
means you can print type from very tiny to very large (at least
127 points) in one point increments all at full 300 dpi resolution.
This is the most hassle free way to go, because your documents will
print the same on both the Deskjet and a Postscript printer and you
have a large selection of fonts to choose from that print well.

- MacJet is a driver from Laser Connection (a QMS comapny) that
is intended mainly for Laserjets but also works with the Deskjet.
The product supports Laserjet font cartridges.

Most of the above products benefit from, but do not require, more
than a 1MB machine, but I reccommend having at least 2MB memory.
Most also work with SuperLaserSpool from SuperMac Technology, which
is a must.  I hope to one day finish testing all of these, but my
first impressions are that MacPrint and JetLink Express are the
leaders, with JetLink having the edge because of the scaleable fonts.

Please do not send mail asking for more info.  I'll try to post a
complete report in the future.  Check a recent issue of MacGuide
magazine for company addresses and phone numbers.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Sep 89 13:10:03 EDT
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DeskTop Refresh Problem

I just read a message from Howard Ramagli who had encountered a problem
with Cmdr. Dialog: The Finder doesn't refresh the desktop any more, when
Cmdr. Dialog ist installed.

I'm not using Cmdr. Dialog, since it did not work on my Mac, so I discarded it
without examining it further.

However, I have come across exactly the same problem in an INIT I wrote myself.
This INIT is supposed to do something particular when the user clicks in the
top left corner of the screen. In order to catch those clicks, my INIT patches
GetNextEvent (i.e. redirects it to a procedure of my own). My own procedure now
first calls the original GetNextEvent and then checks whether the returned
event was a click at position (0,0). I have experienced the very same problem
as Howard: The INIT works fine, but the Finder does not redraw the icons on
the desktop (e.g. the trash and disk icons) when they are uncovered by a
window. However, this is only the case when two conditions are satisfied:
a) MultiFinder is running
b) The Finder is running in the foreground. The icons are properly refreshed
   when a window of the frontmost application is closed or moved!

I have tried several things to make the thing work. I even tried to remove
everything from the INIT except the patching and redirecting stuff. All that
remained was something like the following:

function OldGNE(mask:INTEGER; evt:EventRecord): BOOLEAN;
inline $4EB9, $1234, $5678; (*JSR <address of original GetNextEvent>*)

function MyGNE(mask:INTEGER; evt:EventRecord):BOOLEAN;
begin
  MyGNE:=OldGNE(mask,evt)
end;

The INIT code does nothing but install MyGNE with SetTrapAddress as the new
procedure responsible for handling GetNextEvent and replacing the address
"$12345678" with the real address of the original GetNextEvent (which was
returned by a previous call to GetTrapAddress). Of course the INIT code also
detaches the INIT resource and leaves it installed (and locked) in the System
heap.

I believe that my problem is the same as that of the author of Cmdr. Dialog.
If anybody who already has successfully patched GetNextEvent could tell what's
wrong with the above piece of code, he would a) help me fixing that nasty bug
in my INIT and b) probably also solve the problem with Cmdr. Dialog.

Any help is appreciated. Please send hints/pointers/handles directly to me;
I will summarize the responses for the net.
    e                           Guenther Blaschek
   gu                    EMail: <K331671@AEARN>
                         SNail: University of Linz / Austria
                                Institute of Computer Science / Software
                                Altenbergerstr. 69
                                A-4040 Linz
                         Tel.:  +43 (732) 2468 / 447

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jul 89 00:00:47 GMT
From: bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long)
Subject: hierDA INIT 0.9984

Here's the latest version of hierDA, a cdev/INIT which allows hierachical
menus to appear within the apple menu.  It now loads in system heap space
so there are fewer problems with MultiFinder.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/hier-da-09984.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Sep 89 18:13:09 EDT
From: horan@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Frederick Horan)
Subject: HP Deskwriter and System-7 incompatablity?

Several people in the department I work for are interested in the HP Deskwriter
(also the GCC Personal Laser Printer).  The printer produces great text and
graphics at slow but acceptable speeds.  Also, the printer is cheap ($730 with
discount) and the operating cost is roughly equivalent to that of a
laserprinter (less then a $.05/page).

I am concerned that this and other Quickdraw based printers may be (at least
initially) incompatable with the Outline fonts used with System-7.

The HP Deskwriter comes with screen and printer (AGFA Compugraphic) fonts.
These screen and printer fonts are similar to each other (WYSI almost WYG).
What happens when the underlying software used to produced the screen fonts is
changed to support outline fonts instead?  Will the old (bitmapped) screen
fonts continue to be supported?  Will we require drivers for bitmapped printers
that are different from what we now get from HP (or GCC or other companies)?

I may be worrying needlessly but I do not want to throw thousands of dollars
away on 'good' printers only to be stuck in the ugly amorphous muck of
incompatablity down the road.  WSYI Fuzzy.

	Thanks in advance
	Fred (horan@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Sep 89 14:46:14 EDT
From: Leora Druckman <21765LD%MSU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #155

Subject: Hypercard 2.0

Does anyone know what we will be seeing in Hypercard 2.0?

Color? Communications? Debugging? etc., etc.

I keep hearing various rumors (some that contradict others).

Is there someone from Apple that might be able to sort things out?

with anticipation,

Leora Druckman
21765LD@IBM.CL.MSU.EDU

P.S.  Does anyone know of other good Bitnet forums on Hypercard?
Acknowledge-To: <21765LD@MSU>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 89 08:14:36 PDT
From: aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts)
Subject: Laser printer toner cartridge hazards

Responding to a posting to this effect some time ago, we asked our
Environmental Health & Safety office to investigate the possibility
that laser printer toner cartridges, of the type used in Canon CX
and SX engines (e.g. all models of Apple LaserWriter and HP LaserJet)
might contain hazardous materials.  Their analysis of the materials
list for these cartridges provided to them by Canon indicated that
none of the constituent materials, singly or in combination, should
constitute a hazard to humans.

Aron Roberts

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 89 15:33:25 CDT
From: Eric Huffman <eric@music.nwu.edu>
Subject: Megalomania

Megalomania 0.32

 Real time processing of MIDI data
 ---------------------------------

The application allows the user to design "effects" that process MIDI data
in real-time.  The user designs an effect by connecting together icons.  An
icon represents a simple computation (delay, transposition, etc...) and the
connections represent the flow of MIDI data.

MIDI files can be read and processed along with serial input.  The resultant
MIDI data stream can then be recorded and stored as a MIDI file and/or be
sent as serial output.

- Compatible with System 4.2 and up.
- Must be run on a Mac Plus or a later model.
- Needs at least 1 Meg.
- Does not behave with MultFinder.

This package includes the application, documentation, and example files.

Written by Eric Huffman (eric@music.nwu.edu)
Comments and suggestions are welcome.

- Eric Huffman

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/megalomania.hqx; 146K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Sep 89 17:26:31 PDT
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Modeless Dialogs in HyperCard

What follows is version 2.0 of a stack containing XCMDs for
using modeless dialogs in HyperCard (I *knew* that I had this
somewhere).  Knowledge of how modeless dialogs work, and how
to use resedit to create DLOG and DITL resources required.
Author is Antoine Latour.

Paul Romaniuk,
University of Victoria

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/xcmd/modeless-dialogs.hqx; 42K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 89 13:47 CDT
From: <JJM3383%TAMSIGMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: monitors

Howdy,
     I am currently adding a 24 bit color board to my system.  In connection
with this I have two problems:
     1.  How do I handle graphics? I am familiar with the palette manager
         routines.  Do you just ignore palettes and use rgbforcolor to draw
         in a pariticular color.  Also, is there a 24 bit pd draw program
         out there, and what format can I save a 24 bit picture in? (PICT or
         GIF would be nice if possible).
     2.  I now have my old video card freed up.  I would like to add another
         monitor to help in debugging.  What is my cheapest route.  What
         monochrome monitors are compatible with a mac card.  I don't necess-
         arily want my eight bit video capability.

     thanks everyone.  The programming info is for a raytrace program I am
working on in school this semester.
                                            bye...

                                                   jeph

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Sep 89 14:25:50 PDT
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: More on ShowDialogXCMD

Two corrections to the note accompanying the posting of the
ShowDialogXCMD stack, pointed out to me by David Graham.

A)  This thing puts up *modal* dialogs, not modeless (SORRY about that!)
B)  The author's name is Jay Hodgdon, not Jay Hodgson - my sincere
apologies to Jay.  By the way, I think that Jay now works for Apple.

Hope I haven't inconvenienced anyone!

Paul Romaniuk,
University of Victoria
PROMAN@UVVM.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 27 Aug 89 10:01:00 GMT
From: sw@uklino.UUCP (Sak Wathanasin)
Subject: MW II launcher

Having taken up Claris' upgrade offer and installed MacWrite II and
MacDraw II on my HD, I then trashed the old versions of same.  All was
well until I downloaded the latest and greatest from the net,
double-clicked on the documentation file and arrrgh!  "Application is
busy or not found". Oh well, I got a bit fed up of this after a while,
so here's a simple launcher program. Just stick it into the same folder
as MacWrite II, and it'll let you double-click launch MacWrite [45].x
documents. Also included are instructions on how to hack it to launch
other applications with a MacDraw II launcher as an example.

Free and includes sources (such as they are), with thanks to the
authors of Apple Tech Note 126.

Here's hoping that "aliases" in System 7.0 will do the job in a more
general way (pretty please, Apple :-).

Sak Wathanasin

uucp:   ...!ukc!uklino!sw
JANET:  sw%uklino@uk.ac.ukc
BITNET: sw%uklino%ukc.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet
other:  sw%uklino.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
phone:  (+44) 242 222333 x206
snail:  Linotype Ltd, R & D Dept, Bath Road, Cheltenham, Glos. GL53 7LR, UK

[Archived as /info-mac/util/macwrite-ii-launcher.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jun 89 04:40:40 GMT
From: jkjl@munnari.oz (John Lim)
Subject: RayTracer

This ray tracer was originally posted in comp.sources.misc or unix.
Ported to the Mac by John Lim and Jason Castan.  Includes an LSC
project and source.

Compiled using LSC and needs colour QD to run.  The current project
also uses the 68881. Enjoy.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/raytracer.hqx; 187K]

------------------------------

Date: 4 Sep 89 12:33 EDT
From: science@NEMS.DT.NAVY.MIL (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: searching/indexing/browsing software for mac

re the msg from ZAK in INFO-MAC v7n147, which I just got a chance to read,
I've got some programs that you're welcome to try for free-text indexing and
browsing through extremely large files ... they are in the INFO-MAC archives
someplace, as well as on CompuServe and elsewhere, under names 'TEXAS' and
'TEX' (hypercard interfaces) and 'qndxr.c' and 'brwsr.c' (generic UNIX
command-line interfaces) ... they build machine-readable index files very fast
(about 15 MB/hour on a Mac II) and, once you've indexed a file, let you
scroll around in an 'index window' showing all the words and their number
of occurrences; click on a word and a 'context window' shows you every
instance with half a line of context on each side, for rapid scanning; click
on a line of context and a 'text window' gives you copy/paste access to the
full text in the area you've selected ... simple proximity search also is
easy to do ... I find the system useful for browsing through big collections
of disorganized information (tech manuals, my archive of online correspondence,
literary works, etc.) ... completely free software (though I charge an
exorbitant distribution fee to keep people from bothering me and to encourage
public redistribution) .... there's also a background index-builder,
MultiFinder-tolerant program ('MultIndexer') if you want to work while
building big index files....

If anybody has taken my source code and improved upon it, please let me
know .... tnx .... ^z
-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 89 10:46:04 EDT
From: paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike)
Subject: SendPS 2.0

Slightly newer version of Adobe's SendPS utility.  Useful for sending pure
PostScript files to PostScript printers such as the LaserWriter, etc.
Improved handling of printing of text files.  Now at version 2.0, but I don't
really see major changes in program capabilities.

Michael J. Paisley			PAISLEY@MTE.NCSU.EDU
Materials Science & Engineering		PAISLEY%MTE@NCSUVX.NCSU.EDU
229 Riddick Laboratories		PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET
Campus Box 7907				Office: (919) 737-7083
North Carolina State University		Messages: (919) 737-2377
Raleigh, NC 27695-7907			FAX: (919) 737-3419

[Archived as /info-mac/util/sendps-20.hqx; 53K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 89 08:19:35 EDT
From: paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike)
Subject: SetNode cdev

This is a little CDEV (control panel device) that I picked off of CompuServe
that allows you to set the node number that the Mac uses as a first attempt
when booting on an AppleTalk network.  If it matches an existing machine, it
will automatically be changed, but otherwise you can set your node number to
what you want.

Michael J. Paisley			PAISLEY@MTE.NCSU.EDU
Materials Science & Engineering		PAISLEY%MTE@NCSUVX.NCSU.EDU
229 Riddick Laboratories		PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET
Campus Box 7907				Office: (919) 737-7083
North Carolina State University		Messages: (919) 737-2377
Raleigh, NC 27695-7907			FAX: (919) 737-3419

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/setnode.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 89 01:13:50 -0400
From: Guest <foo@astsun.astro.virginia.edu>
Subject: tappytype-12.hqx

This is version 1.2 of TappyType, a not-especially-serious
Control Panel device.  This version supercedes all previous
versions, and is ESPECIALLY improved over the first-released
version: 0.94.  Also included in this BinHex file is a text
file containing documentation.

TappyType, when installed and active, makes your Mac play
typewriter noises in response to your keypresses.

Colin Klipsch
Univeristy of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/tappytype-12.hqx; 28K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 89 19:55:47 edt
From: research@NEMS.DT.NAVY.MIL (Leavitt)
Subject: Telephone operator system on a Mac network

Anybody know anything about any systems (products, in house efforts, class
projects, etc.) that let you run a telephone "information" service on a
network of Macintoshes?  The concept is that the operators would be in front of
a reasonably large screen and be able to scroll alphabetically, through an
organization chart, or by physical location.  Database would be in the
server.  Please respond directly to me--if there is any interest, I'll respond
to the list.

Many thanks.

Mike Leavitt

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 89 22:40:43 +0200
From: audoire@inria.inria.fr (Louis Audoire)
Subject: UnScrolly 1.0

Tired of scrolling through the control panel list ?

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/unscrolly.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Sep 89 19:23:37 GMT
From: decwrl!pro-oz.cts.com!hplabs!bevans@labrea.stanford.edu (Brian Evans)
Subject: UUCP for the Macintosh

Gidday Fellow Netters,
                        No doubt that this question has been asked before but I
am unable to get an answer and would appreciate any help forthcoming regarding
this topic.  I would like to know if there is a UUCP program available for the
Macintosh.  If there is either Public Domain OR Commercial any details on how
or where i could get such a program would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Evans                    Fax  +61 3 387-0158
P.O Box 232                    Compuserve:  72500,1355
Avondale Heights 3034          "That's not a knife, This is a Knife!"
Victoria, Australia.             - Crocodile Dundee

Internet:       bevans@pro-oz.cts.com     Proline:        bevans@pro-oz
 Arpanet:       crash!pnet01!pro-party!pro-oz!bevans@nosc.mil
    uucp:       crash!pnet01!pro-party!pro-oz!bevans

End of Info-Mac Digest