Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/06/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  5 Sep 89       Volume 7 : Issue 158

Today's Topics:
             "I feel the need...  The Need... FOR SPEED!"
                          Astrology Software
                             Auto-saver?
         Canvas 2.0 Color Palette for use with PowerPoint 2.0
                             Crystal Cave
              DeskWriter incompatibility with System 7.0
                   Hard Disk Partitioning Software
                    Icon creation order on Desktop
                   Mac Graphics Package Info Needed
                              MacHumaine
                            Mac Moria Bugs
                     Mac Tech Notes, 8/89 edition
                      MPW hacking part-time job
                      NCSA Image and NIMH Image
                         NIMH vs. NCSA Image
                        Note about DialogXCMD
                            SafeEject INIT

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 31 Aug 89 01:01:44 GMT
From: moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer)
Subject: "I feel the need...  The Need... FOR SPEED!"
Yup, it's the sound from TOP GUN.  Have fun...

                           "It's hard to be the Diva..."
--
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/need-for-speed.hqx; 57K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 09:16:22 PDT
From: balamut@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Morris Balamut)
Subject: Astrology Software

Hi,

I am interested in software for generating astrological forcasts.
My preference is for PD or shareware, but I would welcome any referals
for commercial products.

Thanks.

Morris Balamut

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 14:42:23 -0400
From: grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil (William (Liam) Grant)
Subject: Auto-saver?

I am looking for some sort of method for automatically saving a document
every 10-20 minutes.  I have heard that there are utilities which would
this, but I don't remember which.

BTW, First priority would be for a CDEV/INIT that would take care of this
for the presently active application and top document.  Best program would
allow for saving any and all open documents under Multifinder.

Thanks.  Write directly to me and I'll summarize.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

William (Leprechaun Liam) Grant		Grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Code 5541				(202) 767-2392
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, D.C. 20375

------------------------------

Date: 1 Sep 89 05:00:33 GMT
From: dfh@granjon.UUCP (DF Hoerl)
Subject: Canvas 2.0 Color Palette for use with PowerPoint 2.0

This file contains a Canvas 2.0 color palette appropriate for use with
PowerPoint II's color schemes.  Thus, color objects drawn in Canvas can
be placed into PowerPoint without the need to use PowerPoint's "Recolor"
function.

Canvas's color palette is 16 wide and 8 deep - the colors are arranged
thusly :

whi bla yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc yrc
whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi whi
GY8 GY7 GY6 GY5 GY4 GY3 GY2 GY1 RD8 RD7 RD6 RD5 RD4 RD3 RD2 RD1
OR8 OR7 OR6 OR5 OR4 OR3 OR2 OR1 YO8 YO7 YO6 YO5 YO4 YO3 YO2 YO1
YW8 YW7 YW6 YW5 YW4 YW3 YW2 YW1 YG8 YG7 YG6 YG5 YG4 YG3 YG2 YG1
GN8 GN7 GN6 GN5 GN4 GN3 GN2 GN1 BG8 BG7 BG6 BG5 BG4 BG3 BG2 BG1
BU8 BU7 BU6 BU5 BU4 BU3 BU2 BU1 VT8 VT7 VT6 VT5 VT4 VT3 VT2 VT1
RV8 RV7 RV6 RV5 RV4 RV3 RV2 RV1 RV8 whi whi whi whi whi whi bla

bla == Black
whi == White
YRC == You Choose - ie, paste in your current/favorite PowerPoint
Other colors == PowerPoint's (Genigraphic's?) numbering scheme
(see manual page 256).

BTW, I recently produced a fairly large and complex color transparency
presentation using PowerPoint and Canvas through Genigraphics, with
excellent results.

David Hoerl
AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!garage!dfh

[Archived as /info-mac/util/canvas-palette-for-powerpoint.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jul 89 01:00:59 GMT
From: kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman)
Subject: Crystal Cave

This is part one of a text adventure.  It is in the style of the original
Adventure, and uses a very similar input parser.

As explained in the INFO command and the about box, I am not the original
author.  That inventive soul chose to stay anonymous.  I have, however,
had this thing for a number of years now, and have not seen it elsewhere,
and in the absense of coypright notices on the original FORTRAN sources,
which I still have, and in view of the open (albeit clandestine)
distribution it originally had I take it to be in the public domain.  I
assert no ownership whatsoever, although I do request credit where credit
is due.

I have ported this to several languages, most recently Lightspeed C, and
have previously posted sources to the unix-pc groups.  They are available
>From me in several machine-readable forms, if you pay the freight plus a
bit.

The game itself is a sort of sequel to the original Adventure.  The
command parser is similar, but has been adapted to be smarter in several
ways.  It reads whole words, so only a few abbreviations (N, E, S, W, for
instance) are recognized.  It recognizes periods and commas for stringing
commands and objects together on a line: if you have just started, and
are standing outside the barn, "in. get keys, lamp. out" is a reasonable
thing to do.

There are new ways to travel, though they will seem unreliable until you
get the hang of them.  There is a sort of "outer" game, and a monster
whose job is to make it hard for you to find the inner or true game.

Once you find the inner game, there are at least one each of dragon,
kobold, djinni, bugbear, unicorn, orc, and so on.  Of course, there are
the familiar dwarves and a pirate.  These creatures may or may not act
quite the way you'd expect...

As a matter of fact, you can expect that NONE of the tricks that were so
much fun to find in Adventure will do what you expect here.  It's kind of
a running gag.  Even picking things up can be the wrong thing to do, as
you will very quickly find.

I think the tricks you find that do work are just as much fun.  Enjoy.

--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman, {pyramid,csun}!srhqla!kosman!kevin )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

[Archived as /info-mac/game/crystal-cave.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 89 21:45:14 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: DeskWriter incompatibility with System 7.0

I don't believe that you need worry, for several reasons.  For one, HP
is almost certainly (99.5% probable, in my guesstimation) going to
release an updated driver when System 7.0 comes out... or, in fact, may
be able to say that the existing driver works just fine with System 7.0
(I've heard a report that it's already been tested, and works OK... I
have no details, though).

The Apple-supported outline-font technology will almost certainly work
just fine with the HP driver... I understand that it's implemented via
changes in the Font Manager which make the presence of outline fonts
essentially invisible to applications and printer-drivers.  Its presence
in the system should not interfere with the CompuGraphics-style
outline-font support contained within the HP driver.

It's true that printer drivers will need to be updated to make use of
System 7.0's extended Print Manager functions (spooling and background
printing, etc.).  From what I've read in Apple's preliminary disclosure
re System 7.0, they very definitely intend to provide high-quality
support for QuickDraw-based printers... they've said that they'll be
making available a "generic" QuickDraw-imaging driver kernel, which can
be licensed and used as the basis for commercial printer-drivers.

According to some Apple engineers I spoke with a few weeks ago, Apple
will be "seeding" pre-release copies of System 7.0 to its Partners well
in advance of the general release of 7.0, so that third-party hardware
and software developers will have plenty of time to update their
products and have new 7.0-compatible versions ready when 7.0 hits the
street.

HP released the DeskWriter _after_ the System 7.0 disclosure by Apple.
I doubt that they would have done so (and, in effect, taken the step of
declaring that HP now takes the Mac quite seriously) without having
already made the decision to support the printer once System 7.0 becomes
available.

If I didn't already own a DeskJet and a decent third-party driver, I'd
buy a DeskWriter in a minute!  I've said it before and I'll say it
again... HP's engineers are to be commended for doing a fine job with
this family of printers.  I've rarely been so impressed with a
peripheral of any nature... the DeskJet family is a real gem!

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 89 12:29:14 EDT
From: "Ghassan N. Alkhoja" <ALKHOJA%GWUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Partitioning Software

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with any HD partitioning software that will allow me
to write-protect partitions?  I am interested in something that would work
on an SE/30.  I have Symantec HD Partition, but I don't think it will let
me write-protect partitions.  Thanks in advance.

Ghassan N. Alkhoja
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Computer Information and Resource Center
The George Washington University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 17:14 CDT
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Icon creation order on Desktop

Is there a means to tell the Finder to place new icons vertically within a
window rather than horizonitally.  The default is that a new icon is placed on
the upper right horizonitally.  I rather the default be vertically so that I do
not have to re-size the window to see the new icon (I rather use the scroll bar
instead and leave the window size alone).  I hope the following illustrates the
above better.

This is way it is done now:

icon1       icon2       icon3      newicon

icon4       icon5       .....

this is the way I would prefer:

icon1       icon2       icon3

icon4       icon5       .....

newicon

Ideally it would be nice if the Finder would "fill-in-the-blanks" in the
visible portion of the window (i.e. where the ..... is)

Bill Bryson
User Consultant
Southwest Texas State University
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 89 10:41:04 EDT
From: Akshay.Gupta@me.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: Mac Graphics Package Info Needed

i am interested in using some macintosh graphics package that has
the following characteristics:

	* it can allow the development of MacDraw-like Icon libraries
	* it allows 2--way communication between it and some other
	   application, i.e., allows another application to instruct
	   it to draw something (as in macros), as well as has the ability
	   to tell another application what it has drawn (even if it means
	   interpreting the datafile it saves)
	* has 3-D solid manipulation

i know that sounds like a tall order!!  if you know of any Mac package that
allows one to do the above things, or even parts of it, please let me know...

akshay gupta
x3820,x3835,521-5765, akshay@me.ri.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 16:53:36 CDT
From: bobs@saintjoe.edu (Bob Schenk)
Subject: MacHumaine

>If you're looking for QUALITY manuscript fonts, you'll have to expand
>your budget. Public-domain calligraphic fonts are worth their prices,
> but not much more.  (from issue 147)

I am sending as a separate document MacHumaine, the best calligraphic laser font I have found in the public domain.
The author (Bill Horton) not only gives away his finished product, but includes
his Fontographer file so others can alter it to their tastes. I found it on the
latest issue of the Club Mac cd, which has the best collection of pd and shareware laser fonts I know of.
You can judge for yourself if it is worth more than the price.

The typeface selections I have found on the net work are disappointing. Are there any sites with some variety?

The next issue of Publish magazine (October) is supposed to have an article
telling what is now available in PostScript typefaces.

Another good source of info on what is happening in typefaces is Personal
Publishing magazine. They have a monthly column called "Type Drawer" which
illustrates six new typefaces. In their last issue thy showed an Adobe font
called "Cheq" which the column said was freeware. Has anyone seen it? I have not found it yet.

bobs@saintjoe.edu
Robert Schenk
Box 901
Rensselaer, IN 47978

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 15:03:54 -0700
From: wilson@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (James E. Wilson)
Subject: Mac Moria Bugs

>Now for the not so good news.  I think that I have encountered a bug in the
>program.  Playing a level 5 warrior, I seem to be encountering a lot of
>things that all of a sudden transport me to another part of the level, kinda

I seriously doubt that this is a bug.  Most likely, you are wearing a cursed
item of Teleportation as someone else mentioned.  The problem will go away
when you take off this item.

Incidentally, there better places to discuss problems with Mac Moria.  If you
are on BITNET, you can subscribe to the MD47 Moria mailing list.  Send
subscription requests to LISTSERV@CMUCCVMA, and email messages to
MD47@CMUCCVMA.  If you are on Usenet, you can read the newsgroup
rec.games.moria.  I read both of these, and will respond to bug reports sent
to either of these places.

Jim Wilson
wilson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU           ...!ucbvax!ucbernie!wilson
Vila: I've got this shocking pain right behind the eyes.
Avon: Have you considered amputation?                    -- Blake's 7

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1989 21:01:21 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac Tech Notes, 8/89 edition

I have put the latest set of tech notes in the archives. Look at
/help/recent-files.txt to see the exact numbers. Apple doesn't seem to have
updated the tech note stack yet, so I guess we'll wait on that.

Bill

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 89 10:30:49 EDT
From: Akshay.Gupta@me.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: MPW hacking part-time job

05-Sep-89 10:25    Akshay.Gupta@ME.RI.CMU.EDU   MPW hacking part-time job

I am looking for someone, work-study or otherwise to help with some
programming on the Macintosh using MPW, the Macintosh Programmer's
Workshop.  The purpose is to write a MacDraw-like application as part
of the development of an expert system.

The hours are flexible, and the pay scale depends on your expertise.

Please contact Akshay Gupta at x3820 or x3835 during the day, or at
521-5765 in the evenings.  Send me e-mail at akshay@me.ri.cmu.edu
if you have trouble findind me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 11:33 MDT
From: DSPhillips%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: NCSA Image and NIMH Image

Thanks to Herb Barad and Gregg Cohen for pointing out that the NCSA
Image program to which I referred is not the same as the Image program
mentioned by Wayne Rashband.  The latter program was developed for
medical image processing at the National Institute for Mental Health.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 89 09:40 CDT
From: Gregg Cohen <CMDGROPG%UIAMVS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: NIMH vs. NCSA Image

I think that you have confused the two different programs called "Image".
Wayne works at the National Institute for (Mental) Health and has written a
program that is useful on the Macintosh II systmeems for medical image analysis.
The imagetools or Image program that is available from the NCSA is useful
for manipulating images also, however, does not provide the same functionality.
I hope that this helps clear up some of the misunderstanding.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 89 10:03:03 PDT
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Note about DialogXCMD

Alright, already!  I *know* I should have read Macintosh Revealed to be
absolutely sure I knew the difference between modal and modeless dialogs.
The Dialog XCMD stack I uploaded the other day does *everything* for dialogs
*except* handle modeless ones (i.e. the ones with a draggable window, that
allow the user to access other windows while activated, etc.).  I suspect that
 HyperCard won't easily handle modeless dialogs, since you can't leave DAs
active and go back to HyperCard's window.  But maybe I'm *wrong* about this
(it sure wouldn't be the first time!)?  Anybody have something to add on this.

Paul Romaniuk,
University of Victoria

Disclaimer -- I probably don't know what I'm talking about

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 10:49:41 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: SafeEject INIT

This is SafeEject, a little INIT by Jay Riley.  It's intended to avoid a
situation that can lead to hardware damage in your Mac's floppy disk drives.

Owners of Mac Plus and later machines occasionally find that their
floppy-disk drives have become damaged somehow.  From what I've read in
Info-Mac and comp.sys.mac, the commonest form of damage seems to be that
the upper head's support has become bent, or the head has been torn
loose from the support itself.  The only Apple-sanctioned remedy for
this problem is to replace the di$k drive $ubunit.

According to John Sawyer and Chuck Meyer of CJS Systems, this problem is
most likely to occur if the floppy-disk heads are near the outer edge of
the diskette (track 0) when the disk is ejected;  the heads can catch on
the diskette shutter.  The problem is (I gather) rather less likely to
occur if the heads are near the center of the disk.

SafeEject automatically "parks" 400k and 800k disk drives near the
center of the disk just before the disk is ejected.  This is similar, in
spirit, to "parking" a hard disk's head(s) in an otherwise-unused
"landing zone" before powering the disk off.

Details of SafeEject's implementation are available in the documentation
file.  SafeEject is free for noncommercial distribution;  the author
reserves all copyrights.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

[Archived as /info-mac/init/safe-eject.hqx; 6K]

End of Info-Mac Digest