Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/13/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 12 Sep 89       Volume 7 : Issue 162

Today's Topics:
               "FLEX 3.0" messing with my KERMIT screen
          Address correction: Request for Astrology software
                 Calling Hypercard=>Excel=>Hypercard
                    Communications programs (III)
                 Duplicate-file-finder utility needed
          Ending the confusion between AppleLink PE and CE?
                  File sharing between Macs and Suns
                          Gatorbox/Fastpath
                          I need help Bad!!!
                  International keyboard differences
          I would like to have a FILCOM program for the MAC.
                       Japanese Word Processor
                               Macsbug
                            mcsink problem
                       Picture to (x,y) points
                         Problems with psfig
                       SC40 Hard Drive Problems
                         VersaTerm-Pro & MIDI
                        Voice Stress Analysis

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 09:54:15 EDT
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: "FLEX 3.0" messing with my KERMIT screen

Ladies and Gentlemen:
I talk with my IBM mainframe using KERMIT 0.9(40) and it works fine.
Sometimes, I walk away to take a rest for a while and FLEX 3.0 has saved
my screen but ruined my KERMIT screen format.  For example, the characters
KERMIT displays are larger that ordinary, the menubar has become invisible
(although the menus still work), etc.
Even when I position the mouse in the "never save" corner, FLEX seems to do
this.
If you can tell me how to prevent this happening, I'd appreciate it.
Of course I can always turn off FLEX for these periods, but that seems
inelegant.  I'd like an elegant solution.

Your co-networker,  Jim Henry BITNET: jhenry at utcvm
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 09:23:07 PDT
From: balamut@hac2arpa.hac.com (Morris Balamut)
Subject: Address correction: Request for Astrology software

In Info-Mac Digest V7 #158 somehow the mailer came up with a new return
address for me. Unfortunately it is not correct and probably will
confuse anyone trying to reach me. I was listed as having the
following address:   balamut@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

I have nothing to do with stanford. My correct address is:

   balamut@hac2arpa.hac.com

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Morris Balamut

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 12:59:44 EDT
From: John Major <major@bbn.com>
Subject: Calling Hypercard=>Excel=>Hypercard

I know that I can transfer to other applications from within
Hypercard, but I need something a little more intelligent.
>From within Hypercard (or Supercard, if necessary), running
under MultiFinder, I need to escape to Excel to do some
sophisticated graphing, passing along a macro to run, or if
need be, the name of a document with an auto_open macro
attached. THEN, I need to get back to Hypercard from within
the Excel macro! Now, System 7 is just what I need here,
with AppleEvents 'n' all, but it is lurking down the road
aways, and or course I need this *now* -- sigh.

How about posting an event to Tempo? I recall some XCMD
along those lines. How about using the CALL statement inside
Excel? The doc is purposefully obscure about CALL, etc.,
because they don't want us to shoot a toe off, but I'm
willing to learn... Any other ideas?

I have never written anything in C or Pascal for the mac, so
I don't feel quite up to building something as sophiscated
as this from scratch.

Thanks in advance,
John Major
major@spcink.bbn.com.ARPA
(617)873-8165

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 08:20:24 PDT
From: Robert_Slade@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Communications programs (III)

Further to my earlier request for information on communications (terminal
emulation) programs:

I have not, as yet, been able to find any programs that cover all the ca
capabilities requested ("background" operation, "scripting", Kermit protocol
and VT240 emulation).  From information received so far, the two closest
(with background, scripting and Kermit but no VT240) are Versaterm 4.0 by
Synergy and Microphone II by Software Ventures.  I would like to hear
>From anyone who has used these packages and can give me a review of
them (I haven't been able to obtain them for testing yet.)

I am also still interested in any other suggestions you may have.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 11:35:28 PDT
From: steveh@abbott (Stephen C. Hill)
Subject: Duplicate-file-finder utility needed

I have inherited a Mac at work that has two external drives.  During
my first couple of days, I noticed that there seem to be many similar
files on each of them.

On my messy-DOS system at home, I have a program called QDUPES that
reads an (or several) entire disk, putting the file names in order
without regard to their folder (sub-directory they call it) and prints
the file name, sub-directory, size and date/time on a prompt screen.
It also allows you to selectively delete the duped files.

Is there a utility similar to this for the Mac?  I've tried Disktop,
Xtree(Mac) and Find File, but none of them seem to offer the same
utility and ease of use.

Steve

--
Stephen C. Hill, CDP
{ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!steveh  or  steveh@mips.com

Time is Nature's method of keeping us from bumping into ourselves.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 89 20:58:08 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ending the confusion between AppleLink PE and CE?

Interesting reading in the 11 September 1989 InfoWorld (page 38).  The
following is a paraphrase of an article by Yvonne Lee

                     America Online?

Apple is withdrawing its name and perhaps some of its support from the
services Quantum Computer has been developing as "AppleLink Personal
Edition."  When the Macintosh product, currently in beta test, is
released next month, the Apple 2 and Macintosh services will be merged.

Sources close to Quantum say the company also intends to merge the
Apple-related services with its Q-Link service for Commodore computers
and PC-Link for IBM compatibles.  Macintosh beta testers already have
noticed that in recent releases the Apple forum "Apple Headquarters" is
just another listing under "Computering and Software."  Nancy Beckman,
a Quantum spokeswoman said that the new integrated service will be
known as "America Online."

The relationship between Apple and Quantum is still in flux, but
spokeswoman Beckman confirmed that Apple is no longer a "full partner."
Paul Gernhardt, Quantum's manager of on-line computing services,
recently sent a memo to Apple forum leaders saying "As part of the new
agreement, we've taken a step away from Apple to gain some advantages
-- the most important is having more flexibility in marketing our
products."

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>

      I bought the latest computer;
      it came fully loaded.
      It was guaranteed for 90 days,
      but in 30 was outmoded!
        - The Wall Street Journal passed along by Big Red Computer's SCARLETT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Sep 89 16:19 CDT
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: File sharing between Macs and Suns

>From infomac 7/161:
> My understanding is that the GatorBox (LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge) when
> outfitted with GatorShare software will do exactly what you want.
> The GatorBox translates AppleShare protocol to Network File System
> protocol, so that your Macs will think that the Suns are AppleShare
> servers, and your Suns will think your Macs are NFS clients, *with
> no additional software on Macs or Suns*.
>
> We don't have a GatorBox yet, so I can't offer the voice of experience
> just yet.

We do have a GatorBox -- in fact, we've had it for about a year now. Part 1
of the above is correct (Sun appears as AppleShare server to Macs), but
part 2 is not (the Sun only knows about the GatorBox -- it has no notion of
any Macs being out there).

The GatorBox has been performing on spec and for our needs it's OK. But I
sure started drooling over the other message on the subject:

>From vita@disney.crd.ge.com (Mark F. Vita)
> By the way, IPT's uShare performs much the same function as CAP; i.e.
> provides a AFP-compliant server on a UNIX box.  It isn't free, of course,
> (I believe it retails for $1195); however, going with a commercial product
> has some advantages in terms of support and so forth (I hear it can take a
> fair amount of effort to get CAP up and running).  IPT also offers e-mail,
> terminal emulation, print spooling, and "virtual disk" software, which
> allows a "diskless" Mac to use a UNIX file server as a boot drive.  They
> also have a product called the "Personal Server Network", which is
> "distributed" AppleShare server software for a Mac (i.e., it lets any Mac
> function as a non-dedicated server, like TOPS, but is fully AFP-compliant,
> unlike TOPS).

Just imagine -- distributed AppleShare *and* diskless booting (absolute
firsts, if I'm not mistaken)! With Timbuktu and A-Share Client thrown in, I
can't even fit the entire System 5.0 (let alone 6.0.3, or 7.0...) on the
800K boot floppies in our computer lab. The price is kinda stiffish, but it
sure beats upgrading fifteen Macs to FDHD's (not to mention that the
storage gains would probably be eaten up within a couple of new system
releases).
Can anyone out there report on performance/reliability for uShare-booted
Macintosh networks?

                        Sandro Corsi
                        Art Dept.
                        Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
                        Oshkosh, WI 54901

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 89 23:51 CST
From: <SPCLAR%MACALSTR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Gatorbox/Fastpath

        Can anyone give me some recommendations as to what I should be
recommending between a fastpath and a Gatorbox? Almost all of what it'll
be used for is filesharing (keeping mac files on a 660Meg NeXT hard drive),
and I'm leaning towards the Cayman box, since it'll do the AFP-NFS gating
w/o extra software on the individual machines.

        A related question is- what's CAP, and how do I get it, and how
do I get it running on a NeXT? Is there a commercial product that's similar,
or should I stick with CAP? How about mac-to-unix mail?

                        Thanks,
                                Pete Clark
                                SPCLAR@MACALSTR.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat Sep 09 19:59:12 1989
From: microsoft!t-jims@uunet.uu.net
Subject: I need help Bad!!!

Please post for me.

I have run into a problem with my home machines.  It seems I have made a
terrible mistake.  I have two Mac II's one with a seagate drive that is
formatted with UniMac and the other has a CMS Drive formated with the
CMS utility software provided.	I wanted to change my hard disk icons so
I updated the driver on my CMS drive.  Unfortunately I made a mistake and
updated the CMS drive with the Uni-Mac software.  The Uni-Mac did no signature
checking or anything and went right ahead and installed it's driver.  My
machine would boot ok but anytime I would try to move or delete files or mount
a volume I would get sytem error ID=1.	Booting from a floppy would cause
ID=1 as soon as soon as the hard drive would try to mount.  At this
point I figured no big deal I'll boot from the hard drive and reinstall
the correct CMS driver.  Since the Driver software was on one of the
unaccessable volumes I went to find my master.	I found it with a lable
wrapped around it marked "Excel Doc's". Apparently someone in my household
figured I'd never need that disk again.  Well I figured I would wait till
monday call CMS and have them send me a new Utilities Disk, but I thought
I would try one last thing just for the heck of it.  This is where I made
a major f*ck up.  I decided to try rebuilding the desktop for the hard
disk.  Well it gave an ID=1 error in the middle as I should have been able
to predict, and now it is impossible to mount because I get the "This disk
needs minor repairs <OK> <Cancel> " message but when I say OK it system
errors ID=1 again.  Being that it is still impossible to boot from floppy and
have the drive mount without ID=1, I am stuck.	When I recieve my new driver
software from CMS I will need some way to load the driver onto the hard
drive without ever mounting it or I need someway to tell it to mount even
though the Desktop is corrupt.	This way I can load the new Driver and then
eliminate my catch 22?

Please Send replies to

uw-beaver!microsoft!t-jims

Thanks for any and all help you can Give,
					    Jim

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 13:10:02 CDT
From: C277839%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: International keyboard differences

My brother is doing some development of a terminal emulator for the
mac to IBM system 3X and he was wondering if there is a collection of
keyboard resources for the different countries. While he can get the
information he needs by purchasing the different systems from Apple,
that adds up to a fair pile of money just for the little bit of information
he needs, and they are a rather small outfit at the moment.  I believe
that all he really needs is a keycaps map and to know if any of the scan codes
change.Perhaps some international users could send a screen dump of their
key caps DA? Oh, yes, he is primarially interested in Roman languages for now.
Thanks for any help.
Ian SightsPreston Sights
c277839 @ UMCVMBSynapse Communications
401 N. 9th St. 1516A Business Loop 70
Columbia MO 65201Columbia MO 65201
314 449-7579314 443-8000

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 16:52:10 -0400
From: jensen@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Larry Jensen)
Subject: I would like to have a FILCOM program for the MAC.

I wrote this and sent it almost a year and a half ago but somehow
it did not get posted. And I did not try again, but I still need
this program and I did see some postings that were along this line
about a month ago or so. Having just located this file I'll try
again to post it in hope that now with ALL the Mac Gurus around now,
one will pick up the challenge.

I have long wished that someone would write a file comparison program
for the Macintosh like the one called FILCOM that runs under TOPS-10
on a DECSystem 10  (PDP-10). (Does this date me????) I do not have the
time, especially the time, or the required skill to write
such a program, BUT I hope that this message will inspire some one to do
it. It seems to me that the program should something like Fedit, BUT
I feel that such a program SHOULD be in the public domain.

As I remember, FILCOM had two modes, one for text and one for code or
binary. With the Macintosh file sturcture having resource AND data
components, several modes probably should be available;
	1. RAW binary  - this would compare EVERY bit of two files from
		the VERY BEGINING to the ABSOLUTE END  - with and without
		sector tags might be options for this mode
	2. Resource Fork  - this would compare resource types and other
		entries in the resource fork that you can see with Resedit
	3. Data Fork  - this would compare just the data forks of two
		files, handy when you have several copies of the "same"
		file and cannot remember what the latest revisions did
		- this mode could have a "text only" option which would
		allow comparision of say a MacWrite file and a Word file
		that were susposed to be the same document  - graphics
		and drawings might also be options if some good way can
		be designed to relate the different formats

There are probably other modes and options to consider that I have not
thought of, perhaps others can add to the list, or they will become
evident when the program is being written.

The most difficult problem will be how to handle differences, especially
those that have characters or instructions inserted in the middle of what
are otherwise identical files. The program has to either know or be told
(option?) to slide one file against the other until a match is found again.
The form in which the differences are shown needs to be carefully thought
out so as to give the most information in the least space and time WITHOUT
being confusing to the user. A choice of display forms might be necessary,
especially setting hexidecimal or octal for executable code and ASCII for
text. Printing of the differences would be desirable.

Well, I hope someone can pick up the ball from here and try to write this
utility. I guess my best contribution to such an effort would be as Alpha
tester ( or guinea pig, :-) ).  OH YES, it should run on a Mac 512! (What's
that????) I still have AND use my original Mac (bought 4/4/84 - a 128k -
upgraded to a 512k when I had to have it fixed) - so I can test it for
512-old ROMs compatability. I have an SE here at work and can get to a IICX.

If anyone does start to write a FILCOM for the Mac please let me know.
If more than one person is intrested in this as a project (for college?) a
group effort might be faster and yeld better results. I could help to
coordinate such an effort. I'm not to good at doing email, so if anyone
tries to contact me please be patient while I try to respond.

Larry Jensen
Naval Research Lab
JENSEN@ITD.NRL.NAVY.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 13:18 CDT
From: <SOSMA%UNO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Japanese Word Processor

I am looking for a Japanese language word processor for the Mac. Does
one exist? If there is more than one, any comments on which ones are
best? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean O Sperry
University of New Orleans
SOSLL@UNO.BITNET

P.S. I would be interested in info on Chinese word processors also.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Sep 89 11:35:54 -0700
From: jwk@scripps.edu ("Two Sheds" Kupec)
Subject: Macsbug

I've got an SE/030 and no debugger!  Can anyone tell me where I can get a
version of Macsbug that works with an 030? (Until I get my TMON update).

TIA,

jwk (jwk@scripps.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 10:11 EDT
From: <UN107065%WVNVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: mcsink problem

I downloaded McSink from the info-mac archives and it
seems to work fine except when I try and print a document
to the LaserWriter IINT. The document ALWAYS gets printed in
Courier 10 pts. even though it shows up on the screen
as the font I want (usually Times 12). I have tried other
fonts but the same problem always shows up when printed
to the NT. Printing on the ImageWriter II is without any
problems and I have had no problems printing from any
other application on my hard disk.

I think McSink is a great DA with all its features and
I would like to continue using it if this problem can
be solved.

I am using a Mac SE w/20HD, System 6.0.3, Laserwriter 5.1,
Laser Prep 5.1,

Please reply to:

Neil Hazari
un107065@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Sep 89 16:40 CDT
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: Picture to (x,y) points

> I have several absorbance spectra (abs. vs. wavelength) that were scanned and
> saved as Macpaint formatted files.
> Does anyone know of a program that will read the file and translate
> the PICTURE to a set of x,y data points?

There is a program called DataScan which, according to the ads, should do what
you need. Write or call:

BrainPower, Inc.
24009 Ventura Blvd., Ste.250
Calabasas, CA 91302
(800) 367-5600
(818) 884-6911

                        Sandro Corsi
                        Art Dept.
                        Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  9 SEP 89 12:58:26 PDT
From: "Micro Mauler"  <MICRO2.SCHWER@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Problems with psfig

In Info-Mac Digest V7 #160 (8 Sep 89 00:10:01 GMT)
Steve Bradtke <BRADTKE@cs.umass.edu> writes about
problems with psfig:

Z I notice that the examples Trevor gives of Mac-generated
Z PostScript include the line
Z 	%%IncludeProcSet: "(AppleDict md)" 68 0
Z while all of mine include the line
Z 	%%IncludeProcSet: "(AppleDict md)" 65 0
Z It seems likely that we don't have the right system software on our
Z Macs.  Perhaps we've got an old system or laserprep file.

        Good guess Steve. The psfig macros include a specially
modified version of LaserPrep V5.2 (a.k.a. AppleDict 68). The
LaserWriter software installed on your system contains AppleDict
65 (which I think corresponds to LaserPrep V5.0). The best thing
to do is get LaserPrep V5.2, but you might just try editing your
PostScript files and changing the
                %%IncludeProcSet AppleDict md 65
to include 68 instead (this is an untried suggestion) :-)
NOTE: The current version of LaserPrep is 6.0 (AppleDict 69 ?) so
don't upgrade too far!

Z If so, where do we get the current versions?

An Apple dealer will sell you the new software, a *good* Apple
dealer or user group will let you copy the stuff if you show them
your original system software disks. After you get the right
LaserPrep installed you shouldn't have any problems with psfig; a
*great* set of macros by Trevor Darrell.     --Len Schwer
                                   micro2.schwer@crvax.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 10:57 EDT
From: Gordon Watts <GWATTS@ruthep.rutgers.edu>
Subject: SC40 Hard Drive Problems

Hi,
  I too have been having problems with my hard drive.  I got a brand new
SE/30 in May.  I used it fairly frequently until June (turning it off
whenever it was not in use -- like at night).  It slept until August, when
I started using it again.
  Because of the programming I would do, the SE would often bomb.  Some times
the HD was unbootable.  I didn't think much of it.  I have SUM, so I could
recover -- though the Gardian files were *always* unusable.
  The crashes got worse with time.  Eventually, SUM couldn't even find any
files to recover (I do have a backup, thank God).  Further, I couldn't even
reinit the dern disk!
  At this point I took my 5-month old machine into tech service.  They said
"Oh, your hard drive may be covered by an extended warrenty"...! It seems
that Apple got a bunch of deffective HD40s (only the small 3 1/2 slot ones.
They stopped selling them about April-June, or so.  If you got an Apple
with an HD40 around then, you may want it checked out.
  Unfortunately, that was not the problem with my SE/30.  They are now
replacing my Logic board -- to the tune of 350 bucks or so.  I am not
pleased: I spent 3000 bucks on it 5 months ago.

Please send any comments to the address below or to this board.

	Gordon Watts

Gordon Watts
University of Rochester (Physics Dept.) Rochester NY, 14627-0011
BITNET: WATTS@URHEP
ARPANET: gwatts@ruthep.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  9 Sep 89 11:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ross Ward Comer <rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: VersaTerm-Pro & MIDI

I just set up a friend with a Plus and Yamaha DX-11 keyboard.  We were suckered
into getting Finale before the real reviews were out, but it's pretty
incredible just the same.

Even on a Plus, playing the keyboard and having the notes appear in the proper
positions on a music staff is something that must be seen to be believed.  The
Plus tends to drag behind in screen updates, but all the notes are there. Your
Se/30 should fly through them.

Finale is huge.  It can do almost anything you would ever want, but it's not
easy finding out exactly how to do it.  Hopefully the Version 2.0 upgrade will
remedy some of these problems. Also, the manuals are supposedly going to be
much better (they need it).  We purchased Finale for $800 from Future Music
(I think) when the list was $1000.  I just saw an ad in MacUser or MacWorld
that the new list price is now around $500 or so.

If your main interest is transcribing music played in real-time, Finale is
the best thing I've seen.  Integrating everything into one program greatly
reduces the flipping back and forth between sequencing and transcribing.
Unfortunately, the difficulty of using Version 1 makes it really hard to
recommend.  But like I've said, hopefully in version 2.0 ...

The opinion expressed herein are possibly someone elses entirely.

Ross Comer                  Bitnet: rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu
PO Box 262
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, Pa 15213        Phonenet: (412) 687-6149

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Sep 89 12:25:08 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Voice Stress Analysis

I have been hearing that Voice Stress Analyzers are now supposed to be
very accurate in determining if a person is lying or not.  I was
wondering if there is any Mac software capable of analyzing MacRecorder
or SoundWave files in this manner.  If so it would be fun to videotape
certain news programs (or talk shows), digitize certain statements, and
do a voice stress analysis to see if the person is telling the truth or
not.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University            BITNET:  ICBAL@ASUACAD