Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/23/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 23 Sep 89       Volume 7 : Issue 167

Today's Topics:
                         Apple File Exchange
                 Calling Hypercard=>Excel=>Hypercard
                   Cmd key equivalents in Versaterm
            Converting AppleFAX files to something useful
                          DA/EZ-Mail120.hqx
                Data Acquisition Hardware (for Mac II)
                                doMenu
                         Gremlins in a Mac II
                             HD problems
                            Help Request
                  Hypercard Personal Affairs Records
                          Info-Mac Digest V7
                 Info-Mac V7 #165--Re:  UUCP for Mac
                       Japanese Word Processors
                              MacBibTex
                              MacMucking
                       MSDOS to Imagewriter I?
                         OxTeX hacker wanted
                             Panasonic...
                             Serial Print
                          SigmaEdit problem
                             unzip v1.01
                               windows

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 10:37:08 CET
From: Klaus Koehler <KOEHLER%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple File Exchange

Hello,

I have some problems transferring these server files to my Mac. The
first one is finally solved (converting Binhexed files to binaries or
Sit's which is done easily on the mainframe <.../cmsfiles-txt> in the
archives), but the rest isn't easy because I dont know the file format
on a Mac. After using Apples File Exchange all programs are converted
to Documents (which of course means they cannot be opened :-( ). So I
have to convert them "by hand" to the  appropriate format. The problem
is I dont know how these files should look like (header, data fork,
resource fork... but how?!). What I can do is: Convert Binhex files
on the mainframe... download these files to an IBM PC... Save these
files to 5 1/4" floppy disks... copy the files to the mac using Apple
File Exchange (Standard converter). The Files are ok on the IBM PC!
What I cannot do is: connect the apple directly to the mainframe.

Any help??

Klaus

|  Klaus Koehler                            Private: Steinweg 32       |
|  Fachbereich Chemie / AK Reetz                     D-3550 Marburg    |
|  Philipps-Universitaet Marburg              Phone: +49 (0)6421 66972 |
|  Hans-Meerwein Strasse                                               |
|  D-3550 Marburg / West-Germany        Earn/Bitnet: KOEHLER@DMRHRZ11  |

------------------------------

Date: 18 Sep 89   14:28 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Calling Hypercard=>Excel=>Hypercard

Date: 18 September 1989, 14:22:30 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: re: Calling Hypercard=>Excel=>Hypercard

This got bounced direct; hope the rest of the net is interested...

To:   MAJOR at SPCINK.BBN.COM.ARPA

John,

We had/have just the very problem:  we're trying to provide users with a
Hypercard shell around their permitted Mac activities, including hooking up

to multiple applications packages.  Unfortunately, the only way to go from
application to application in a Hypercard stack (at best) is to quit the
one application and go back to the stack then pick and launch another, etc.

We wanted to have a shell which would allow us to have multiple applications
open at one time (II environmetn, 4-5M RAM, etc.) like a terminal session or

two, and maybe a word processor or spreadsheet into/out of which to xfer
data across applications.

Our programming consultant came up with a program (init) called LAYERS, about

which I know very little at present, except that it apparently came out of
this year's MacHack confab and is freeware.  What LAYERS does is put up a 32bit
icon of the finder on your screen, which floats on top of all other layers on
the desktop.  No matter what windows you open, LAYERS floats on top.  As you
launch additional applications, their icons get added to the LAYERS display,

gradually building a longer or shorter bar (rectangle) as you launch and quit

applications (dynamically managed).  This way, you can click on the icon for
your hypercard stack and run it for a while; when you launch an application
>From within Hypercard its icon gets added to the LAYERS icon bar; and since the
icon bar is always uncovered, you can re-access Hypercard without exiting
your application.

  +-----------------------+
  |    +-------------------------+
  |    |                         |
  | +------+------+...           |       Even after opening two windows or
  | |      |      |              |       applications, the LAYERS icon bar
  | |Fndr's| 1st  |              |       stays on top.  It is relocatable
  | | icon |appl's|              |       like a tear-off menu and can go
  | |      | icon |              |       wherever on the desktop you want
  | |      |      |              |       (N.B.: have NOT tested it with
  | +------+------+...           |       desktops spanning multiple monitors!)
  +----|                         |
       +-------------------------+

Hope this helps, sorry I can't come up with the author's name right now.  I'll
look while you decide if you are interested--mail me back if you are and I'll
see how I can get you a copy.

Ted

Theodore A. Morris, U. of Cincinnati|W513-558-6046 H731-3451 AppleLink: U1091
Med Ctr Information & Communications|Bitnet: WMLBTAM @ UCCCVM1    NTS: WB8VNV
231 Bethesda Ave., Mail Location 574|=========================================
Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574          |"Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 89 20:03:00 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: Cmd key equivalents in Versaterm

David, pull down the apple menu and select the about dialog.  Over there you
will see that you have checked use cmd as control.  Uncheck it
and... voila, you will have all key equivalents available as you want them.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 09:25:51 edt
From: Keith D Gregory <keith@fstohp.lynn.ge.com>
Subject: Converting AppleFAX files to something useful

I recently purchased an AppleFAX modem, and am very impressed by its
sending facilities.  I'm not so happy about the receive facilities,
especially the "View FAX file" option.  Apparently, the 200 dpi image
is scaled to 72 dpi, which results in most text appearing as splotches.

Well, my hope is for a utility to convert AppleFAX files to TIFF files.
Barring that, a statement that "An AppleFAX file contains the Group 3
FAX image, without any translation whatsoever" would probably go a long
way to making me write such a utility.

Thanks in advance . . .
Please e-mail to me at "ketih%fstohp@crdgw1.crd.ge.com" . . .
I will summarize . . .

-kdg

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 89 00:03:50 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DA/EZ-Mail120.hqx

This is EZ-Mail 1.20, a great DA for keeping track of E-Mail addresses.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/ez-mail.hqx; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 15:26:43 PDT
From: trewitt@miasma.stanford.edu
Subject: Data Acquisition Hardware (for Mac II)

I'm looking for inexpensive data acquisition hardware for a Mac II.
I expect that this will be in the form of a NuBus board, but it might be
OK to connect it via the modem or printer port, or via AppleTalk.  I am
looking for hardware that will do the following:

1) Monitor temperatures in one or (preferrably) more locations.

2) Monitor one or more binary signals (switch closures or low voltage
	signals).  Hopefully with opto-isolation.

3) Provide a Mac-like interface for controlling the setup, setting
	sampling intervals and thresholds, etc.

4) Be able to export data in spreadsheet format.

5) Simple data interpretation facilities (plotting, printing) would be
	nice, but not essential, as that can be done via (4) plus a
	spreadsheet.

6) NOT REQUIRE a programming environment on the Mac to run the thing.

I'd like to do this on the cheap, but I have no idea what's available.
I'm not looking for ultra-precise or fast electronics, just something that
gets the job done.

	- Glenn Trewitt

P.S.  References to advertisements in magazines would be welcome,
	since I don't read any of the trade rags that might specialize
	in this stuff.

Glenn Trewitt, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
	{ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!amadeus.stanford.edu!trewitt	USENet
	trewitt@amadeus.stanford.edu				Internet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 02:09:40 +0200
From: Olle Furberg  <ollef@sics.se>
Subject: doMenu

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Does anybody know how (I guess IF should go first) it possible
>to pass parameters to "doMenu" in HyperTalk.  Specifically, I am
>interested in passing a "New Stack..." with the new filename so
>that the file dialog doesn't appear.  I have tried what seemed
>like the obvious:

Two different qustions:

1. Yes it's possible to pass parameters to domenu:

on domenu what
  if what is "Delete card" then
    answer "Sure about that?" with OK or Cancel
    if it is "Cancel" then exit domenu
  end if
  pass domenu
end domenu

2. No its not possible to get a new stack without the SFPutfile-dialog, but
you could make it in this way: Do a new empty stack "emptystack", then you
could get a new stack without interaction by calling the copyfile-XFCN:
copyfile("mydisk:HyperCard folder:emptystack","mydisk:NewStack") (or
something like that), then go to stack NewStack.

   /Olle

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 11:16:04 edt
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: Gremlins in a Mac II

Dear netters,

Here's a good one.

The setting is a Mac II with 19" SuperMac color monitor, 5 meg memory, 140 meg
hard disk, System 6.02, MultiFinder.  As I was using Microsoft Excel 1.5 with
a spreadsheet that spread accross the screen, I rolled the screen with my
fingers to make sure that what I was typing was going into the right row and
column.

Boom!!!  The Mac suddenly rebooted.  No warnings, no bombs, no nothin.  Just
rebooted.  I couldn't believe it was my fingers, so as it was rebooting, I
rolled my fingers on the screen again, and the hard disk light stayed on and
hang.  The reboot failed!

"Ok, ok" I said, let's try again.  So I pressed the restart button, and let it
reboot without me even getting close to it.  After reboot was complete, I
touched the screen.  Boom!!!!  The Mac rebooted again!!

Well, I then remembered that the SuperMac monitor has a "degausser" button.  I
pressed that, restarted, and it worked fine thereafter.

I sware I did not make this one up...

						Hisham.

Hisham A. Abboud
Computer Center/Academic Services
The Catholic University of America
Washington, D.C. 20064

Bitnet:    ABBOUD@CUA                           | "God bless thou pessimists,
Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU    |  for they taught us
    or     ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@192.31.193.2      |  backups."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 89 20:59 CDT
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HD problems

 Some of you may remember my posting about booting problems
with an external Quantum ProDrive 40. Well, the thing died
for good 2 days ago while writing some (unimportant) data.
A click, a grinding noise, kaputt. It sounded like the head
suddenly encountered a physical obstacle en route to its
sector of choice.
 Two comments: (a) BACK UP your hard drive when you're doing
something important, or it behaves inexplicably, or both.
I had complete confidence in mine, until I saw the "drive
failure imminent" message; if I hadn't been able to complete
the backup after all, I'd still be sitting here with FEdit
and foamy mouth.
(b) those of you who have experienced abnormal (even if non-
-fatal) behavior with their Quantum drives, should report
them to the company. The people who sold me my drive say
that Quantum knows about quite a few such episodes, and is
working on a fix (?). Also, we all read about problems with
Quantum internals; those were even acknowledged by Apple -
wonder of wonders. Apparently symptoms such as mine were
inexplicably limited to a few well-focused geographical
locations. It's true, the darned weather was extremely hot
and humid here lately, but I thought the drive mechanism was
hermetically sealed. Anyhow, they promised to let me know
if/when a cause has been found; I'll certainly pass it along.

My 480K RAM disk sends greetings. Arrgh...

Eric Behr (NBEHR@ECNCDC.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 11:36:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Brian CapouchSkK/cQI:8:8" <brianc@zeta.saintjoe.edu>
Subject: Help Request

I have a (I think) somewhat unusual request to make of this group.

I am teaching an introductory-level computer programming class.  As a
"real-world" based assignment, I am asking each of them to conduct an
interview, over the Internet, with a person who actually spends hisher time
doing programming-related things.

I am soliciting (begging for!) volunteers for this project.  It would consist
of a couple of email sessions wherein the student asks you questions about your
training, what you do, what you perceive to be frontiers, etc.

Could anyone so inclined please reply by email to:

realworld@saintjoe.edu

Thanks 1.000 * 10^6

Brian Capouch
Saint Joseph's College

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 89 23:52 EDT
From: Doug Hardie <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: Hypercard Personal Affairs Records

This is a Hypercard Stack that is designed to provide a convenient
record of a persons important information.  While the primary
purpose would be to assist a survivor to locate and properly
handle your affairs, it can be useful at other times.  While I have
checked a number of books that perform this function and tried to
ensure that all important items are covered, I suspect most people
would need to adapt it to their personnal situation.  I have tried
to build such adaptation mentods into the stack.  If you find any
significant ommisions or improvements, please let me know.

The stack does include information pertainent to military, or former
military.  If you are not, or were, ignore those cards.

-- Doug

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/personal-affairs.hqx; 75K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 22:06:49 EDT
From: PHILLIPS%PORTLAND.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Wm.A.Phillips)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7

166
Has anyone tried to backlight their Kodak DataShow, or any
other Mac LCD panel for that matter.  It would make a nifty
portable monitor for that luggable cx or ci!  Any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: 18 Sep 89 14:32:34 GMT
From: boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom)
Subject: Info-Mac V7 #165--Re:  UUCP for Mac

In article <8909170112.AA02209@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:
>Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 16 Sep 89       Volume 7 : Issue 165
>
>From: Sak Wathanasin <nan!sw@uunet.uu.net>
>Subject: UUPC Project for Macs
>
>I'm being inundated with mail on this subject, and it certainly looks as if
 [info about how to get uupc for Mac deleted]

>The uupc distribution has been around for a while, and I don't deserve any
>credit for it. All I did was to convert the srcs to Think C so that it could
>be built as a standalone application (the original had to be run under the
>Aztec C shell).

John Labovitz is also working on UUCP for the Mac.  He is basing his work
in part on GNU sources.  My understanding is that he intends to put a mac
interface on the whole thing, whereas Sak's project refered to above is just
a straight port of UUPC, without any Mac interface.  Contact him for more
information at:

jsl@cup.portal.com

Rich Akerboom    Internet:  boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
                 UUCP:      decvax!dartmouth!eleazar!boomer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 89 15:50:59 CDT
From: Paul Fons <FONS@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Japanese Word Processors

  The Japanese word processor that I use the most is EGWord 3.01 (I think -
it was updated in summer this year).  This requires KanjiTalk (I am using
6.0.2)  There was an earlier version EGWord 2.0 that runs under the English
OS.  I am not sure if this was ever updated (I do not use it).  There are
also alternative kanji entry schemes besides the standard KanjiTalk interface
namely EGBridge (which makes the claim in its get info box "Best Entry system
for Macintosh" - they dropped the articles not me!).  The latest version of
this I believe is EGBridge 4.0.
  There is also a free editor called ASLEdit+ that is on sumex and the other
archives.  This is strictly an editor, but it works well within those confines.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 89 17:02:57 CDT
From: Michael G. Kahn  <kahn@wuibc3.wustl.edu>
Subject: MacBibTex

Infrequently there have been requests for a version of BibTex that runs
on the Mac and is compatable with Textures or MacTex.  Enclosed is a
binhexed/stuffit file consisting of an application called MacBibTex
V1.1 and a Readme file that I have been distributing free for over a
year.  Blue Sky (the Textures people) have been giving the same program
away for free -- our terms for giving them the program -- to any
Textures owners ONLY IF YOU EXPLICITLY ASKED FOR IT!!

The info-mac submission does not include sources or bst (bibtex style
files).  Also, the application is derived from BibTex 0.99c so 0.98i
style files will not work.  I also give away the sources via one of
three mechanisms:
(1) If you have Internet FTP access, a much larger binhex, stuffit
file is located on SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU in the directory
aps:<tex.bibtex.mac>.
(2) If you mail me a diskette, I will load the software onto your
diskette and return it to you.
(3) If you mail me $10.00, I will buy cookies for the lab and load the
software onto my diskettes and return it to you.

Michael Kahn
Department of Internal Medicine Box 8121
660 S Euclid Avenue
St. Louis MO 63110

(kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/app/macbibtex.hqx; 100K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 89 21:06:59 -0700
From: jwk@scripps.edu ("Two Sheds" Kupec)
Subject: MacMucking

To Whom it may concern:

I had a very pleasant experience mucking around in my SE/30.  I bought
a $10 Torx tool and scrounged a 2" x 4" x thin" piece of metal to open
the case.  With ground strap in place and on a big piece of cardboard:
Remove 4 screws, crack the case, (I also grounded the Mac's chassis to
the same ground as my wrist strap), remove EMI/RFI shield, disconnect
3 connectors, and gently remove the logic board.

I popped in 4 more Mb, and also installed the Kinetics EtherPort SE/30.
The only problem I experienced was some difficulty in getting NCSA Telnet
to work over the EtherPort.  It turned out the problem had to do
with IP address conflicts with a block of dynamic IP addresses reserved
by my FastPath.  A guy at Kinetics was very helpful and figured that one
out for me in about 30 minutes.

All in all- kinda fun.

jwk	jwk@scripps.edu	 	Scripps Clinic & Research Foundation
				Department of Molecular Biology
				Research Computing

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 10:14:20 PDT
From: digiorgi%jplmad@ipl.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: MSDOS to Imagewriter I?

MSDOS to ImageWriter I?

please no hiss and boo -- i needed/wanted a portable and didn't have
much money to spend and apple is evidently going to want more than my
personal computer budget for the next two years for theirs (gripe gripe
gripe) :( -- so i recently acquired a DataVue Spark laptop which is
adequate for my needs.

mostly, i just move files to the mac with LapLink Mac, format, style and
print from there, but occasionally it would be convenient to just print to
my trusty ImageWriter I (1984 and still going strong!:)).  so in addition
to learning the MSDOG gyrations to install a printer/port direction etc.,
i need the correct cable and DIP switch settings.

anyone done this and knows of a simple available cable to do the job?
or can guide me in construction of same? pinouts as follows:
Spark: 9-pin 'AT style' RS232C port, female connector
	1	CD 	carrier detect
	2	RXD 	receive data
	3	TXD 	transmit data
	4	DTR 	data terminal ready
	5	ground
	6	DSR 	data set ready
	7	RTS 	request to send
	8	CTS 	clear to send
	9	RI 	ring indicator

IW I: 25-pin serial RS232C port, male connector
	1	FG 	frame ground
	2	SD 	send data - output
	3	RD 	receive data - input
	4	RTS 	request to send - output
	7	SG 	signal ground
	14	FAULT 	fault - output
	20	DTR 	data terminal ready - output

and if someone has done this, what DIP switch settings on the printer
and/or MODE commands in MSDOG will enable me to swap the cabling from
Mac to Spark and back with no further changes (ie: just swap cables)?

many thanks to all who reply

godfrey digiorgi
digiorgi%madvax@ipl.jpl.nasa.gov
18sep89

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 89 19:10 N
From: <PURSCHKE%DMSWWU5P.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: OxTeX hacker wanted

I wanted to generate the german LaTeX version with OzTeX, which is somewhat
different from the U.S. version. However, OzTeX is tailored too small to
do this, since the space reserved for the hyphenation patterns is only 8000
words. Is there any OzTeX user with a MPW Modula compiler who could create
an extended version for me?
In our mainframe version of TeX the trie_size parameter had to be increased
>From 8000 to 12000 to work with the german version. This parameter is in the
TEXlines.def file.

Any volunteers? I have MPW but no modula compiler.

Thanks in advance,

        Martin

BITNET: purschke@dmswwu5p

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 89 17:12:39 EDT
From: jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III])
Subject: Panasonic...

...rumor had it that Panasonic was planning on releasing into the
commercial market, an 11Meg floppy drive that was SCSI accessible,
and very affordable. The scheduled release date was the month of
July, and I have heard nothing since. Anybody have any info on
this particular piece of hardware?

			Thanx in advance!  Ace

--
| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 18:16 CDT
From: #CARLS9%ccm.UManitoba.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Serial Print

Tacked on to the end here is Serial Print.  Its a DA that will
allow you to print out any TEXT document to any serial printer
connected to the Mac.  You can set baud rate, flow control,
page size, etc.
I use it with the Grappler/Mac interface connected to a Star
SG-15 to print out text documents in draft mode because even
when you select DRAFT, the Grappler still puts the printer
into unidirectional mode greatly decreasing the speed of the
printer.

Charles

[Archived as /info-mac/da/serial-print.hqx; 26K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 89 21:00 CDT
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SigmaEdit problem

 Hello, it's your prophet of doom again. If the hard drive
death weren't enough, the gods decided to punish me some
more. Here's a word of caution.
 I write a lot of TeX documents, and using the editor in
TeXtures is quite unwieldy when you are forced to live with
a RAM disk and one (internal) floppy. In such situations I
almost always use the nifty (even though unpolished) Sigma-
-Edit DA. It never displayed major bugs, until yesterday.
I was working on something located in a folder on an HFS
floppy disk; in a hurry, I pulled down the File menu (which
is enabled in SigmaEdit), and selected "Eject", before
getting out of the DA. The file had been saved before with
the SigmaEdit "Save" sub-menu. The Mac returned to the
Finder, the ejected disk showing up normally as a grayed
ison on the desktop. I dragged it to trash to eject it
>From memory altogether.
 When I tried to use the floppy again, several folders could
not be opened; the error message was either "Disk error", or
"There is not enough memory to open this folder". Since all
files that became inaccessible were text files, I recovered
them quite easily with FEdit, but I hate to think of what
would happen if I had some heavily fragmented EPS files of
Vanessa Williams there.
 Moral: if you're using SigmaEdit, don't use other menus!

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 13:11:56 EDT
From: djd@ziebmef.mef.org
Subject: unzip v1.01

Here's a new version of unzip for the Mac, source code and
executables contained in the following two messages..

David..

[Archived as /info-mac/util/unzip-101.hqx; 55K
             /info-mac/source/c/unzip-101.hqx; 48K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 12:27:27 -0700
From: jwk@scripps.edu ("Two Sheds" Kupec)
Subject: windows

I've got an SE/30 with 5Mb of RAM.  Why can't I have more
than 12 windows open at once?  I can't believe this is actually
hard-coded somewhere so could someone tell me how to increase the
number of windows the Finder will let me have open simultaneously?

TIA

jwk@scripps.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest