Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/28/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 27 Sep 89       Volume 7 : Issue 172

Today's Topics:
                              Amiga Help
         A Slow/Non-Starting HD40 Caused By Large System File
   Bulletin Board Broadside for Applications Development Curriculum
     Can an old Tecmar Mac Drive recognize a bigger than 10MB HD?
                           CE Quickmail...
                    Distributing files to folders
        Ethernet Problems -- Any Common Experiences Out There?
                                GRAF3D
                        Info on AUC... URGENT!
                       Interantional Time Inits
                      laserjet and the Macintosh
                         Merging 'part' files
                          Microsoft FORTRAN
                      Newbury hard disk software
                    NeXT-like buttons in HyperCard
                            SUN-Mac users
                       XEROX 4020 Color Printer

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 03:49:57 GMT
From: caeco!i-core!pete@uunet.uu.net (Pete Ashdown)
Subject: Amiga Help

I don't know how many of you Mac owners would be willing to help the heathen
Amiga owners running A-Max, but I'll try anyway.

A-Max runs great, however, its main problem lies in the fact that there is no
battery backing up the PRAM area, thus settings a lost every time the emulator
is quit.  What would be incredibly nice is a CDEV/INIT that would allow you to
save the PRAM settings into its own resource via the control panel and it
would reload them via the INIT.  I'm experienced in 68000 assembler for the
Amiga, yet, I have no idea where to start to write something like this on the
Mac.  So if sosomeone would like some quick notoriety, PLEASE write this
utility!  Thanks.
--
(^\__/^)    pete@i-core.uucp  uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core
/ . .  \  <=== BEWARE!  The Snugglesoft Bear!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 02:12:33 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: A Slow/Non-Starting HD40 Caused By Large System File

I have a Mac II with internal HD 40.  What you describe with system
getting large I have observed a few weeks after I got the machine.
I started having problems booting up and discovered that my system
became 5 or 6 meg in size.  Replacing it cured the problem and it
has never repeated yet.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 15:31 MST
From: Frank Vernon <FVERNON%CUDNVR@vaxf.colorado.edu>
Subject: Bulletin Board Broadside for Applications Development Curriculum

Bulletin Board Broadside for Applications Development Curriculum

The Macademia Project at the University of Colorado at Denver is looking for
clues to other University programs offering courses in Macintosh Applications
Development (MPW, MacApp, C++, etc.)  We'd like to know who may be doing this
kind of thing, and what kinds of promises were made and lies told to get this
kind of curriculum implemented.
Please respond to PFOWLER@CUDENVER

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25-Sep-89 20:08:38 PDT
From: portal!cup.portal.com!Wiley_M_Sanders@sun.com
Subject: Can an old Tecmar Mac Drive recognize a bigger than 10MB HD?

Since my ancient Tecmar MacDrive seems to be always on its last
legs, just for grins I removed the Tandon TM252 and replaced it
with a DEC RD53 (70MB, ST506) drive we had been using as a door-
stop. Lo and behold, it works fine, except the MacDrive sees only
10 of the 70MB on the disk.
  If there is some MacDrive hacker out there who knows where the
"magic number" is that tells the MacDrive how big the drive is, I'd
appreciate knowing whether a patch can be made. I have a feeling
this is hopeless, but considering the MacDrive software worked all
the way up to System version 3.2, I still have some hope.
Thanks!, -wiley ("wiley_m_sanders@cup.portal.com")

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 89 16:10:12 EDT
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: CE Quickmail...

I suggest you investigate the QUE freeware Unix application, available off the
SUMEX-AIM archive.  We are looking to use this to connect my office LAN'
Quickmail system into one of our Sun Unix machines, and consequently into
Internet, through MITRE's gateway.  QUE is substantially less money than SMTP
(the only cost would be for CE's Direct Serial Bridge application if you need
it, and it is only $100.  StarNine's product is much more costly.)  We were
unable to get the QUE application to work for use because of some unique
configurations we run to do remote connections, but it should be very useful
to most everyone else!

Disclaimer:  This represents my opinion, and my opinion alone.

David Gursky
Member of the Technical Staff, W-143
Special Projects Department
The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 08:30:49 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Distributing files to folders

A fellow at our Mac lab here (50 SEs linked to file-serving IIs, running
TOPS), wants to know if there is a utility whereby he can create a
document and automatically send copies of it to each of a number of
folders (the folders of his students), without dragging copies one by
one from his folder to theirs.  Anybody got any ideas?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 16:21:41 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ethernet Problems -- Any Common Experiences Out There?

We are installing an Ethernet and having a (*&~ of a time with our Mac
SE's.  Here's our current description of the problem:

The EtherNet Problem

Our configuration is Macintosh SE(s) with Dove Computer Corporation
FastNet SE boards installed. Each MacSE has 2.5 Mbytes of memory. Systems
range from highly customized to bare-bones, totally stripped down. The
terminal emulation software is tn3270 from Brown University (we have
tried versions 2.0, 2.2b3, and 2.3d1). All versions of tn3270 show the same
symptoms, with version 2.0 seemingly producing more problems than the
two newer versions. We are connecting to an IBM 3090-300E mainframe
running IBM TCP/IP version 1.2.1.

The symptoms of the problem we are experiencing are:

1. the telnet connection from the tn3270 softwareon the MacSE to the 3090
mainframe is terminated. The tn3270 software does not appear to "know"
the connection has been terminated (i.e., according to the "Connection
Status" dialog box, the connection is still active and the status area of the
VM/SP CMS screen contineus to display an active connection symbol --
however, from another machine connected to another account on the 3090
mainframe, the MacSE is no longer "pingable"). The software continues to
operate with it's menus and dialog boxes functioning. However, once the
connection with the mainframe has been closed, it is not possible to connect
to the same, or another, host without first quitting the tn3270 software and
then re-launching the tn3270 software.

There appears to be no pattern to the tn3270-telnet connection loss. It has
occurred when an active dialog was in progress between the mainframe and
MacSE. It is seen commonly when the dialog between mainframe and MacSE
is idle for random periods of time ranging from less than 10 minutes to 1.5
hours.

Two machines sitting side-by-side running the same Mac System, same
software and same hardware shows that one machine will experience the
telnet connection loss while the other will not.

2.  the MacSE totally locks up and requires cold re-starts.

3.  reports of other Mac software (i.e., WORD ver. 4.0 and Hypercard)
randomly locking up the Mac (requiring cold re-starts) when the Dove
FastNet SE board and driver is installed in the machine.  Removing the
FastNet SE driver from the Mac System reportedly eliminates this symptom.

We would like to hear from people who have had similar difficulties, or
who have used similar configurations without similar difficulties, or
who have experience debugging similar problems, or ...?

Thanks in advance.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
Academic Computing Services           YEIDEL@WSUVM1.WSU.EDU
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1232
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 17:20:20 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GRAF3D

Hello folks.
Can anyone tell me what is Graf3D and where can I find documentation?
Has anyone use a 3D graphics library package with any compiler?
Thanks in advance.

[Moderator's Note: It's a simple 3D graphics package.  It provides lines only,
but it works and is easy to use.  Check out the MacTutor index to find their
issue that dealt with it.  I redid a college program by simply cutting out
all my graphics routines and replacing them with Graf3D.  Easy.  Runs pretty
quick on my SE30 too.  ;^)  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 08:56:56 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info on AUC... URGENT!

Info-apple is an APPLE 2 list.  The correct address is: info-apple@BRL.Mil

Your question, clearly, should be sent to the Macintosh list:
     Info-Mac@Sumex-Aim.Stanford.Edu (I've forwarded at copy of this reply).

On Tue, 26 Sep 89 22:33:00 EDT you said:
>Dear MacUsers,
>
>        I'm a freshman at the Ohio Wesleyan University in Ohio, USA. We're

Who's 'We'??

>looking out for some information on the Apple University Consortium (AUC),
>and we'd like your help in this matter.
>
>        I wish to have any information you can give on AUC preferably dealing
>with (but not be restricted to) the involvement of the university, the
>financial requirements, the advantages to the varsity and the students, the
>disadvantages, and so on. If anyone could give *actual price comparisons*,
>that would be greatly appreciated.
>
>        I'm sure some of you must be at varsities that subscribe to AUC (I can
>think of Reed, Dartmouth, Brown, Harvard, etc. offhand -- correct me if I'm
>wrong), so if you could tell me whatever you know about this system, and how
>it's benefited *YOU*, that would be just great!
>
>        There's one important thing -- I need this info BY 28 Sep. '89, i.e.,
>this Thursday. Therefore, I'm requesting you to take a few minutes off your
>(busy??!!) schedules and give me a reply.
>
>        In addition, if any of you know of any *other* such deals -- from
>makers such as IBM, Tandy, Commodore, etc. -- please let me know.
>
>        If you wish to, you can send the information directly to me at my
>bitnet address given below.
>
>        Come on and flood me with info, guys! Thanx a ton!!!
>
>        Sincerely,
>
>        Shriram Krishnamurthi / Bobby / SSKRISHN@OWUCOMCN
>
>Note: The above material does not in any way reflect the opinion of my
>      university, Ohio Wesleyan. I alone am to be held responsible for it.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

------------------------------

Date: 26 Sep 89 19:24:39 EDT
From: Drew Pritsker/AfterMath <71230.734@compuserve.com>
Subject: Interantional Time Inits

Attn: Info Mac
Date    9/26/89
Subject Interantional Time Inits
>From    Drew Pritsker
To  Info Mac

  After discussion with the guys at Apple, I have found out that
there are a series of Inits that replace the Gregorian calendar with
either the Arabic or Hebrew calendars. Does anyone have access to
this or know who wrote them?

Drew Pritsker                               Internet:
71230.734@compuserve.com
Power Up Software                        Applelink: D1282
2929 Campus #300                        Compuserve: 71230,734
San Mateo CA 94403                      Connect: D.Pritsker
415-345-5900                               Genie: D.Pritsker

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 00:13 EST
From: ROSKAR%JHUVMS <ROSKAR%JHUVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: laserjet and the Macintosh

We have been trying for some time now to use the LaserJet II printer
with the Macintosh.  The printer driver we are currently using is
Printworks, and it is not too good.  The only font we can use that matches the
sreen font is courier, all the others (Times, Helvetica) have different sizes
than the fonts in our printer.  We also have no way of using the symbol fonts
on the LJII since the mapping is different for the Mac and the LJII.
Our system (MAC 512k) also crashes very often.
    There is a new product called MacPrint.  They claim they can represent all
of}i the Laser printer's internal fonts on the screen, thus making true WYSIWYG
possible.

    If anyone out there has used this or any similar driver product, we would
appreciate the input.

                                            Veljko Roskar
                                            Dept. of Chemical Engineering
                                            Johns Hopkins U.

roskar@jhuvms.bitnet
roskar@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 12:28:56 edt
From: Bruce_Kahn@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: Merging 'part' files

CEO summary:
  Being relatively new to the Mac part of Internet I have a simple
question for everyone.  What do I use to merge .HQX files that have
been cut into several 'parts'?  I know that BINHEX wants one file and
apart from using WordPerfect and doing it all by hand, I know of no
other way to recreate the original file.  Is there a utility around
(perhaps in the archives) that will do it for me?  Thanks in advance.

                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

[Moderator's Note: Check out util/unity-311.hqx -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1989 21:44 CDT
From: Frank Wu <IFRA%UMINN1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Microsoft FORTRAN

Does anyone know if Microsoft still selling its FORTRAN compiler?
If so, what is the current version and cost of the upgrade?

I have version 2.1, which is terribly outdated.

Frank Wu
University of Minnesota
St. Paul Computing Services

  BITNET: IFRA@UMINN1
INTERNET: IFRA@VM1.SPCS.UMN.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 89 14:32 EDT
From: alan ruttenberg <alanr@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Newbury hard disk software

    Date: Sun, 24 Sep 89 23:00 CDT
    From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI%OSHKOSH.WISC.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu>

    I too purchased a 380 MB Newbury Data H.D., but was only able to format it
    with the software for a CMS drive we have here. I ended up with only 290 MB
    instead of the 320 MB formatted capacity promised in the documentation.
    Would I get better results using the Unimac software you mentioned ?
    Also, do you know of any sources for either 1) MacII brackets for full-
    height internal drives or 2) external enclosures with enough room and
    electrical juice for the same hefty drives ?

I got the enclosure and software from Marshall industries. The enclosure
supplies power and connectors for this drive. The product is Unimac Kit
20055. It costs $195. I am satisfied with it. I formatted the drive as
three roughly 100Meg volumes. The exact sizes (from the finder) are 2 x
100788K, and 113890K. I recommend the external enclosure as you can move
it away from where you work, decreasing the noise.

    BTW -- mine is the Newbury 3380S (the slower of the two models they were
    selling).

Same as mine.

Marshall's address is

Marshal Industries
9674 Telstar Avenue
El Monte, CA 91731

-alan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 10:56:28 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: NeXT-like buttons in HyperCard

I think the comment about NeXT-like buttons in HyperCard might be referring
to a feature in Plus that allows this.  I don't have Plus, but I have read
that it allows you to set some property to "gray" (or maybe "grey") which
gives the NeXT-like look.

* BRUCE A. CARTER                              OFFICE:  (208) 385-1250 *
** COURSEWARE DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR        MESSAGE:  (208) 385-1433 **
*** BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY, 1910 UNIVERSITY DRIVE, BOISE, ID   83725 ***
** BITNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU          INTERNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU **
* APPLELINK: U0919        CIS: 76666,511       PLATO: CARTER/IDAHO/PCA *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 11:22:00 EDT
From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physicsa.mcgill.ca>
Subject: SUN-Mac users

	I apologize if this is a repeat but I have been having some
trouble with mail lately.

	I have recently discovered this group and I am unsure of its
"mandate
", as it were.  I am interested in discussing Macs in general but,
more specifically, I am interested in Macs as they relate to SUNs.
If some kind soul would gently educate me in the usual direction of
the discussions here and how SUN-Mac fits in, I would be greatly
indebted.

	Please Email direct.

Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki@physicsa.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

          ||>>-- Speaking of heresy, who's Buddha? --<<||

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 89 15:11:07 EDT
From: "Sid B. Bernstein" (AED-EWD) <sidb@pica.army.mil>
Subject: XEROX 4020 Color Printer

We have a 4020 color printer attached to one of our PC boxes and would like to
use it with our MACs.  Does anybody know of a driver that will let us access
the 4020 with the MAC.  We have most flavors of the MAC available to try out
almost anything that is suggested.

Thanx,
Sid Bernstein
telephone 201-724-4776