Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/04/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  3 Oct 89       Volume 7 : Issue 174

Today's Topics:
                    32-bit QuickDraw availability
                        AI software for macs?
                Another report of bloated system file.
                   CD-ROM (Info-Mac Digest V7 #173)
                             COLOR OUTPUT
             Dove Ethernet Boards -- Not A General Recall
                              File Bloat
                         grade level checker
                       Help with Multifinder...
                  Hiding windows under multi-finder
              Hiding Windows Under Multi-Finder (query)
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #173
            Information Center Management Software Search
           Is anyone working on C++ for MAC under MAC O/S?
                         LaTeX for Macintosh
                  Lightspeed 4.0 (i'm such a rebel)
                      MAC-DIGEST stack question
                         Macintosh Passwords
                            MacWrite woes
                   Notificaton Manager and Word 4.0
                            Startup screen
                            SUN-Mac users

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 11:33:05 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: 32-bit QuickDraw availability

Regarding the availability of 32-bit quickdraw, the "Apple Color Disk" and
the associated material should be available at dealers by now.  It is
definitely available on AppleLink (Apple edition, not personal edition) to
dealers, developers, universities, etc.  All dealers have access to AppleLink,
so if you have a good relationship with one he should be able to download it
for you if he doesn't already have it.  Be patient, though, as it is a LONG
download to get it all (several hours including the new LaserWriter drivers
at 1200 baud).

* BRUCE A. CARTER                              OFFICE:  (208) 385-1250 *
** COURSEWARE DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR        MESSAGE:  (208) 385-1433 **
*** BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY, 1910 UNIVERSITY DRIVE, BOISE, ID   83725 ***
** BITNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU          INTERNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU **
* APPLELINK: U0919        CIS: 76666,511       PLATO: CARTER/IDAHO/PCA *

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 09:17:36 EDT
From: reg@lti2.lti.com (Rick Genter x18)
Subject: AI software for macs?

I can heartily recommend LPA MacProlog, now being distributed by Quintus
Computer Systems of Mountain View, CA.  It's a complete implementation,
plus a reasonable interface to the Mac toolbox.  Supports Edinburgh syntax
as well as something they call "Standard" syntax (very Lisp-like; personally
I wouldn't mind seeing "Standard" syntax go away).

Quintus Computer Systems can be reached at 415-965-7700.
					- reg
--
Rick Genter					...!{buita,bbn}!lti!reg
Language Technology, Inc.			reg%lti.uucp@bu-it.bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 11:50:46 EDT
From: "Jason D. Harry" <JHARRY%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Another report of bloated system file.

I would never have thought to mention it had I not seen all these
reports over the wire of similar occurrences.  My System file recently
grew to be many meg's and I had to replace it.  At the time, I
associated it with trying to remove a bad copy of the DeskZap DA
>From the System.  But maybe that wasn't it at all.  Hmmmmmmm.....

Jason D. Harry
Division of Engineering
Brown University
Providence, RI
JHARRY@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 29 Sep 89 14:29:34 GMT
From: blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel)
Subject: CD-ROM (Info-Mac Digest V7 #173)

In article <8909290541.AA27230@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
<patel@mitre.mitre.org> (Anup Patel) writes:
> Has anyone tried to use the Apple CD-ROM player under high-sierra format?
>
> I just installed the drive on my SE/30, and in the package, there was an
> offer from Apple for users of the drive to receive a "ISO/High Sierra
> System software" free.  (This offer valid until 9/15/88)
>
> I would like to be able to access info on a Apple CD-ROM while under
> SoftPC.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ignore the time limit and send in the card.  You will get a package
consisting of new software that supports both High Sierra and ISO 9660
formats, plus a sampler CD-ROM called Apple CD-ROM Explorer.  If you've
lost the card, your authorized Apple dealer can get you a form from
Applelink (in the software updates section).

Accessing information from a AppleCD SC drive under SoftPC works fine in
most cases.  The only times I've seen any problems is when an application
tries to make direct calls to the MS-DOS extensions driver.  This driver
doesn't exist under SoftPC;  instead, the Apple software lets you access
High Sierra/ISO 9660 just like Mac files, and SoftPC lets you access the
supposedly Mac files just like IBM files.  If you don't have an
application that tries to bypass DOS i/o, then reading or executing from a
CD-ROM works just fine.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 89 21:36:29 CDT
From: kc_yeo@sngsf1.sinet.slb.com (KC Yeo*Sedco Forex S'pore*Tel-65-345-9944*Fax-65-344-2655)
Subject: COLOR OUTPUT

Thanks Hisham (Internet : ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU) for his advice on
Cricket Graph plots.

>According to Rich Norling (co-author), Cricket Graph does not take any extra
>steps to support plotters.  In other words, it will not do clipping of
>overlapping regions, font substitution, etc.  It only supports a plotter to
>the extent of the plotter's own intelligence and built-in fonts.
>
>For decent output from Cricket Graph, you are better off using the LaserWriter
>or ImageWriter II (for color).

It's bad !

I really need color output on TRANSPARENCY for graph and chart (Cricket graph,
Excel) and PageMaker publication if it's possible.  The quantity is quite
little, few pages per day.  I would like to seek further help from you.  When
low cost is top priority, what's the best solution for my need.  Thank you for
any suggestions you may have.

Arthur
SINet : KC_YEO@SNGSF1.SINET.SLB.COM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 16:47:48 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Dove Ethernet Boards -- Not A General Recall

Dove Computer, Inc. called to say they were NOT issuing a general recall
of FastNet/SE boards -- they just want the boards they shipped to US
(Washington State University) back to make an "engineering update".

If anyone got the wrong impression from my previous message, I regret it.
However, if anyone has inexplicable intermittent failures on a FastNet-
equipped SE, I personally would suggest they contact Dove.  It MAY BE
that the engineering update would be relevant.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
ACADEMIC COMPUTING SERVICES           YEIDEL@WSUVM1.WSU.EDU
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1232
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 12:36:01 EDT
From: Joe McMahon <XRJDM@scfvm.bitnet>
Subject: File Bloat

A damaged resource map can cause files to think that they are very
large, even though they actually are not.

 --- Joe M.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 09:36:24 EDT
From: Sylvia Jacyno <SJACYNO@uga.bitnet>
Subject: grade level checker

   I am trying to locate a program that provides a text comprehension
level for a given document.  They usually give the grade level.. "this
text is written at a 10th grade level" or highlight words above a given
grade level.
   Does anybody know of such packages, stand-alone or add-on??  For the
Mac or otherwise??

Sylvia Jacyno
UCNS User Services
The University of Georgia
BITNET:  SJACYNO@UGA
Acknowledge-To: <SJACYNO@UGA>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 14:10:19 EDT
From: dahbura@hamal.gsfc.nasa.gov (Anton Dahbura)
Subject: Help with Multifinder...

Hi all:
I am writing to get some help with Multifinder.  I would like to know if
there is a way that a DA which to the best of my knowledge runs in the
heap of the DA handler (under multifinder) can get access to the
information multifinder maintains on any applications that happen to
be running (have windows open etc) under multifinder.  I would like to be
able to get the names of the apps as well as any other info about them such
as where their heaps beginand anything else that I could find out.  Is there
a list maintained in memory somewhere about current apps under multifinder?

I have found that my availability of multifinder info is rather limited-is there
a book or info somewhere that covers the ins/outs of MF?  Thanks ahead of
time for any help.

-Tony

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 11:49:28 CET
From: "Guenther Sawitzki, StatLab Heidelberg" <J40%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hiding windows under multi-finder

Charles Boulding asked for hiding windows of inactive applications
under multifinder. Multifinder 6.1, distributed with SADE, has this
feature. Hold down the option key while switching context.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Sep 89 21:29:42 GMT
From: rock@sun.com (Bill Petro)
Subject: Hiding Windows Under Multi-Finder (query)

"Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov> writes:

>I have heard that a future release of MF will automatically hide the windows
>of inactive applications when you do a context switch. Is there a PD Init or
>some other bolt on that will do this now. I like MF, now that I have my
>4 megs, but all those windows get distracting. Plus, I can never get to the
>trash can.

MasterJuggler, from ALsoft does this very nicely.  There is a hotkey
combination that allows you to jump to either already open
applications, or a menu of user-configured applications.  There is an
option that allows you to do the normal switch, with the other windows
open, or hide the other windows.  This alone is almost :-) worth the
price of the product.  It has many other fine features as well -
ability to put more than the system standard limit of DA's under the
Apple, same with Fonts, FKeys, etc.  Ability to have limited
QuickKey-esque "hotkeys" for its features, binding sounds to
applications and system events, and many more.  And no, I don't work
for them, but they are a nice group of people.

     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 11:15:50 EDT
From: gwe@stda.jhuapl.edu (Garry Elliott)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #173

In article <8909290541.AA27230@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> you write:
>Subject: SUN-Mac users
>
>In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:
>
>>", as it were.  I am interested in discussing Macs in general but,
>>more specifically, I am interested in Macs as they relate to SUNs.
>>If some kind soul would gently educate me in the usual direction of
>>the discussions here and how SUN-Mac fits in, I would be greatly
>>indebted.
>
>What relationship between the Sun and Mac are you interested in discussing?
>For example, I have a Sun 4 here that also runs as an AppleShare file server
>over a Kinetics FastPath box.  There are other types of application possible;
>what are you looking for?

What software product must be used on the SUN4 to allow it to be an AppleShare
server?
Garry E. Elliott, gwe@aplvax.jhuapl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 15:58:00 EST
From: Peter_Gifford.CAC.CAC@a.darpa.mil
Subject: Information Center Management Software Search

To:            Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU
Date:          09/29/89

I am looking for Information Center management software. We support about
200 users and about 300 micros, plus peripherals, in a heavily networked
environment. Almost all users have Macs, and there are also some PCs, HPs,
Suns, NeXTs, etc.

The ideal package would run on the network, and provide:

-  hardware and software inventory management,
-  individual user configuration control,
-  user assistance, training, and support tracking,
-  user help call status monitoring, and
-  Information Center staff task tracking and activity logging.

We do _NOT_ need extensive capabilities for financial management, cost
allocation, depreciation tracking, etc.

Lastly, the perfect system would be Mac-based or Mac-compatible.

I have already identified three PC-based systems:

-  Computer Assets Tracking System (CATS), by Legent,
-  PC Tracker, by RG Software, and
-  Micro Resource Manager (MRM), by Computer Associates.

Does anyone know of anything else?

Thanks very much,

Peter Gifford
Computing Analysis Corporation
PGifford@A.DARPA.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 09:16:42 PDT
From: kleckner@cadence.com (Jim Kleckner)
Subject: Is anyone working on C++ for MAC under MAC O/S?

Is either Think or Aztec working on C++ for the MAC O/S?
Anyone else?  Yes, I know about the Think object-oriented
extensions and the macro package that lets your C++ source
sort of work for both environments.  I am more interested
in a directly supported product.

Thanks, Jim

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 12:08:29 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: LaTeX for Macintosh

A version of LaTeX for the Macintosh that runs with Textures is available
from:

Blue Sky Research
534 SW Third Avenue
Portland, OR  97204
(800) 622-8398 or (503) 222-9571

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 15:54 CDT
From: <JJM3383%TAMSIGMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lightspeed 4.0 (i'm such a rebel)

  I'm working with lightspeed 4.0.  I also experienced some conversion problems,
but considering that this version better conforms to ansi standards, it is worth
it.
     However in addition to the bug fix mentioned some weeks ago, there is yet
another error in scanf.c which is apparent when loading in float values with
ansi-881.  Once again the fixes are easy but I don't have them with me.
     If you are having problems, call think.  I will try to post the fixes
this week.
     I was a little upset that this bug was know and that I wasn't notified.
Not being a paranoid person, I incorrectly assumed my program - not their code -
was at fault.  Now I am a little indignant, becouse of all of the work they
could have saved me.
                         oh well....

                                  ...jeph

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 07:32:55 IST
From: "Jonathan B. Owen" <GDAU100%BGUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MAC-DIGEST stack question

I have downloaded Peter Jorgensen's MAC-DIGEST stack from the archives.
It seems to be a very nice stack for maintaining INFO-MAC digests.
My only problem is that this stack sometimes refrences a stack called
"Archives" which I do not have.   Does anyone know where to find this
stack?

                                Thank you,
                                          Jonathan

  (--)    /--)     /-(\                 Email: gdau100@bguvm (bitnet)
  \ /    /--K      | \|/\   /\/) /|-\   Snail: 55 Hovevei Zion
  _/_/o /L__)_/o \/\__/  \X/  \_/ | |_/        Tel-Aviv, 63346  ISRAEL
 (/        Jonathan B. Owen             Voice: (03) 281-422

 Point of view:  A chicken is the means by which an egg reproduces an egg.
Acknowledge-To: <GDAU100@BGUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 08:06:15 EDT
From: dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Macintosh Passwords

Check out a new application from 5th Generation called "DiskLock".  I have only
seen the literature, but it has an impressive list of features.  Given the
success of their other two packages (Fastback and Suitcase), I suspect that
Disklock is pretty solid for a first release.

Regarding anti-virus software, Gatekeeper is an INIT.  It is always in operation
unless you specifically disable it.  It will not scan disks though as you mount
them.  For that, check out Jeff Shulman's Virus Detective DA (available here on
the Sumex-AIM Info-MAC archive), or Symantec Anti-Virus Tools for the Macintosh.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 08:21:34 EST
From: Joe Simpson <JS05STAF@miamiu.bitnet>
Subject: MacWrite woes

We had the MacWrite expansion problem at Miami U.  It was restricted
to a single machine.  I looked at the application with resedit and
found nothing particularly suspicious.

The space is caused by a large string resource that continues to
replicate itself.

I decided that in the abscence of contagion it was probably an
anomaly in the program.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 89 02:57 CDT
From: Scott Hutinger <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Notificaton Manager and Word 4.0

Tonight I was making a program that would use the notification manager to let
a user know if his/her job in our office was starting to print on an
Appleshare print spooler.  Seems they like to time out the manual feed too
often, and can't handle not knowing where the stuff went to, or when to
go look for it.  Strange fetish eh? I decided that the notification
manager would probably be better than patching the the print trap
with an init, and besides, I have never used the notification manager.
Anyway, everything was working fine till the dreaded beast
Microsoft Word 4.0 was tested with it! (not again...)

If a notification dialog is used when Word 4.0 is active, then the font
in the dialog changes to some strange helvetica or something like it.  It
should be in chicago font.  Then Word's menus all change to the helvetica, as
well as other parts of their pop ups etc. (who cares right?)

The reason I liked the dialog box is that I can beep once a second the
first 3 seconds, beep once at 15 seconds, then beep forever at 30 seconds.
The dialog box also should GRAB their attention, as it has a description
of whats going on.  Of course we always have those that are perfectly 'normal'
people that can not seem to read a word in front of them.

Anyone know of any fixes to this other than confusing the users even more with
the strange menus? (They do return to normal if you pick a DA, or another
application).  I really dont think a single sound, and a flashing SICN would
catch their attention.

I was going all backgroundonly, but came across this...

How about I trash Word, and get something else?   Oh, I am using 6.0.4-SE/30

scott hutinger   mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 16:29:58 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Startup screen

I have scan images in PICT format with 16 tones of gray. What software (free,
share or commercial softwares can I use in order to prepare startup screens
with 16 tones of gray. Thanks for the help. You can reply to me directly if you
wish. Thanks again. Jean.

******************************************                     **
* JEAN BRUNET                            *    QQQ QQQ QQQ   --------
* DEPT. DES COMMUNICATIONS               *   QQQ QQQ QQQ    NETNORTH
* UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL (UQAM) *  QQQ QQQ QQQ      BITNET
* C.P. 8888, SUCC. 'A', MONTREAL, QC.    *         QQQ   --------------
* CANADA, H3C 3P8                        *        QQQ  R31631@UQAM.BITNET
* TEL: (514) 282-4897                    *       QQQ   ------------------
******************************************             ******************

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 13:07:08 EDT
From: rpk@goldhill.com
Subject: SUN-Mac users

Actually, what would be *really* cool for the Mac and Sun is a package
that acted like the Lisp Machine ZMAIL system -- use a Sun as
AppleShare server (with the NFS/AppleShare bridging sofware of your
choice) to read mail (using your RMAIL file, and maybe even the mh
system).

End of Info-Mac Digest