Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/06/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  5 Oct 89       Volume 7 : Issue 176

Today's Topics:
                          32-bit color icon
                            AppleShare PC
           Conversion of HP Downloadable Fonts to Mac Fonts
                 DATA ACQUISITION on MACINTOSH (more)
                      Finder icon creation order
                          Games on AppleTalk
                             GRAF3D AGAIN
                    Help with Multi-Colored Icons
                      IPT Pesonal Sever Network
                         LaTeX for Macintosh
                        MacKermit just posted
                     Multi-launchifying software
                       Multifinder Information
                               PASSWORD
                       RastorOps Colorboard 264
                      Russian Font in Hypercard
       Shutdown and Restart Keyboard Equivalents (Cmd-R, Cmd-Q)
                    Slides from Adobe Illustrator
         Using Macs for the Spectrographic Analysis of Speech
                Writing to data fork of my application

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 09:04:14 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: 32-bit color icon

Regarding the question about the multi-color icon that 32-bit quickdraw
shows, Apple shoehorned in a special patch to display just that specific
icon in color.

* BRUCE A. CARTER                              OFFICE:  (208) 385-1250 *
** COURSEWARE DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR        MESSAGE:  (208) 385-1433 **
*** BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY, 1910 UNIVERSITY DRIVE, BOISE, ID   83725 ***
** BITNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU          INTERNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU **
* APPLELINK: U0919        CIS: 76666,511       PLATO: CARTER/IDAHO/PCA *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 09:16:44 CDT
From: umbaugh@evax.arl.utexas.edu (David Umbaugh)
Subject: AppleShare PC

jam asks about a PC as an AppleShare client and/or server.  Here at
UTA we run the 3COM 3+Share on a Tandy 4000.  The Macintosh client
software is an extra cost product (In the neighborhood of $400 if
memory serves.)  which makes directories on the 3+Share server look
(and act) like AppleShare volumes on the desktop.  The same
directories (folders) are visible to PCs connected to them.  The
server can be administered from the Mac.  The 3COM server, our
Macintoshes, our PCs and our genuine AppleShare server (SE) are all on
Thinnet Ethernet.  The server is visible on other floors of the
building through the Bridge bridges connecting each floor to the
building backbone thick Ethernet.  Speed seems just fine, but our
system is far from heavily loaded.
Dave Umbaugh <umbaugh@evax.arl.utexas.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Wed 04 10 89 09:50 EDT
From: U009%CCIW.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Conversion of HP Downloadable Fonts to Mac Fonts

Does anyone have a utility to convert a file containing a down-loadable
font for a HP Laserjet+ into a Macintosh font file. I have scanned the
library but I haven't seen anything yet. If I missed it, kindly point
it out. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Stu Beal, VE3MWM, (U009@CCIW.BITNET),
National Water Research Institute,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 08:35:52 EDT
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: DATA ACQUISITION on MACINTOSH (more)

Refer to previous summary of data acquisition responses in v7, issue 169

I got two more responses to my request for experiences with data acquisition
on Macs.
They follow here:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 14:05:17 EDT
>From: mckee@flora50d.ccs.northeastern.edu
Subject: analog data acquisition using Macintosh
To: jhenry@UTCVM.BITNET

If all you need to do is acquire analog data, can live with audio
sampling rates, and are on a *really* tight budget, you shouldn't
overlook sound boxes like MacRecorder.  I've still got some old
electroencephalographic data that was recorded with an FM tape recorder
that I had to leave behind when I graduated, but is still worth analyzing;
Farallon supplies a HyperCard XCMD interface that can get sampled data
into an arbitrary write-it-yourself program, so I can now complete the
work without re-collecting the data.  I know of other researchers who
record nerve impulses directly into the MacRecorder's line input.
        - George McKee
          College of Computer Science
          Northeastern University
          360 Huntington Avenue
          Boston, MA 02115
          USA
Internet: mckee@Corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU
Phone:    (617) 437-5204
uucp:     ...purdue!iuvax!corwin!mckee          (don't ask why)
Subject: Macintosh Data Acquisition
To: jhenry@utcvm.BITNET
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 10:15:06 EDT
Cc: zook (Brian J. Zook)

Mr. Henry,
   I saw your query for Macintosh data acquistion on Usenet a couple weeks
ago.  As I have some experience, I thought I would give you my $0.02 worth.
   I am a grad student working for Clifford Pollock here at Cornell.  For the
past 3 years or so, we have been using Macintoshes for data acquitision and
analysis.  I will to summarize the products:
   GPIB-Mac, from National Instruments.  We have had this for about 3 years.
It is a box that connects to the MacPlus modem port and allows it to be a
GPIB bus controller.  The product seems fine.  But I have not been impressed
with the company and product support.  The manual is AWFUL.  For example, you
can buy the GPIB-Mac with various sizes of memory buffers - ours is 32K.  But
nowhere in the manual does it mention the buffer - AT ALL!  And when I have
called the company for technical or programming support, I have known more
than the person I am talking to.  It is fairly easy to program - just send
textual commands to it, kind of like HPGL for HP plotters.  They also sell
their Labview software, for making "virtual devices," but it seems outrageously
expensive.
   MacADIOS Model 411, from GW Instruments.  Our model is 2-3 years old.  This
product is a box that connects to the MacPlus modem port.  It allows D/A and
A/D conversion.  I seem to remember is has capabilities for: 16-bit digital
input, 16-bit digital output, 4 analog outputs, 8 analog inputs, triggering,
and a timer.  It can be programmed with C or Microsoft QuickBASIC - I have
used BASIC for all of our stuff.  We have used it to acquire data, as well as
control a spectrometer we have.  I have been very pleased with it.  It is a
well engineered product.  The company is in Cambridge, Mass., and I think it
was formed by a group of MIT EE's.  Their technical support has been
knowledgeable and outstanding.
   MacADIOS II, from GW Instruments.  This is a NuBus board for the MacII, and
we have had ours for about 1.5 years.  It is basically a MacII upgrade of
their Model 411 - once you learn one, it is easier to program the other.  I
have a few complaints, but they are minor.  The biggest is that only one of
the two connectors is available at the outside of the MacII; this is partly the
limitation of the board, however.  They have a wealth of "daughterboards" that
can be attached to the NuBus board for added.  These can significantly expand
the capabilities.  But our needs have been simple, so we have not needed them.
They also sell packaged software, but I find it just about as simple to program
it ourselves for our specific application.
   They have started a program recently for users to write "application
stories" about how they use MacADIOS products.  We have written two, one for
each product we have; they are under Dr. Pollock's name.
   I hope this info is helpful.  Let me know if you have more questions.  My
lab number is 607/255-0630, and my e-mail address is zook@msc2.tn.cornell.edu.
Dr. Pollock has 2 addresses (cpollock@msc2 and cpollock@tesla.ee.cornell.edu)
but he does not check his mail as often as I do.
                                                Brian Zook

I also can give suppliers' addresses for anyone interested:

National Instruments   12109 Technology Blvd.,  Austin TX 78727-9825
   phones (512) 794-0100 or (800) IEEE-488
   They have (3) demo disks for LabVIEW
   Hardware & software for Macs and IBM PCs
   Software drivers are accessible from HyperCard in addition to languages.

Strawberry Tree Computers  160 Wolfe Rd., Sunnyvale, CA 94086
   phone (408) 736-3083
   They have demo disks of Analog Connection Workbench and
                               Parameter Manager Plus
   Hardware & software for Macs and IBM PCs

GW Instruments   35 Medford St., Somerville, MA  02143
  phone  (617) 625-4096
  Hardware for variety of Macs and software, can use LabVIEW

SPARROW    Box 6102   Mississippi State, MS 39762-6102
  phone (601) 324-0982
  They have a demo disk for "Kmax" (software)

================ end of information ======================
 Jim Henry
 School of Engineering
 University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
 Chattanooga, TN  37403
 phones (615) 886-6425 or 755-4398

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 10:43 CDT
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Finder icon creation order

Is there a means to tell the Finder to place new icons vertically within a
window rather than horizonitally.  The default is that a new icon is placed on
the upper right horizonitally.  I rather the default be vertically so that I do
not have to re-size the window to see the new icon (I rather use the scroll bar
instead and leave the window size alone).  I hope the following illustrates the
above better.

This is way it is done now:

icon1       icon2       icon3      newicon

icon4       icon5       .....

this is the way I would prefer:

icon1       icon2       icon3

icon4       icon5       .....

newicon

Ideally it would be nice if the Finder would "fill-in-the-blanks" in the
visible portion of the window (i.e. where the ..... is)

Bill Bryson
User Consultant
Southwest Texas State University
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 14:52:16 PDT
From: shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: Games on AppleTalk

Does anyone out there know of any games for that run over the
AppleTalk network {like NetTrek}.  Please send me any info on
this to:

Shahryar G. Hashemi
<shahryar@sutro.SFSU.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 11:44:39 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GRAF3D AGAIN

A few days I inquired about Graf3D. It turns out that this simple 3D package
is not in ROM and is implemented in MPW PASCAL. Has anyone got the source to
this package? I need to reimplement it in Think C. Has anyone use any 3D
package that is callable from within Think C?
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 08:03:06 PDT
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Help with Multi-Colored Icons

The way that they did this was particularly obnoxious.  They have code in
32-bit QD which looks specifically for their icon and branches to special
code to draw the cicn.  It is an ugly and vile patch 1/2 :^}

There is (on CompuServe, at least) source code in assembler to an INIT
called Icon CZ, which is the functional equivalent of Chris Derossi's
ColorFinder INIT.  I will BinHex it and send it to the moderator after
I finish reading the news.
--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

------------------------------

Date: Tue Oct 03 14:45:59 1989
From: microsoft!t-jims@uunet.uu.net
Subject: IPT Pesonal Sever Network

Please post, this might be of interest to some folks.

It just ain't true.  You might of thought that the pricing that was mentioned
in (MacWorld or MacUser I can't remember which) for the IPT Pesonal Server
Network (PSN) was too good to be true.	Well It was.  I spoke to a sales
representative from IPT this morning and the pricing is totally different
along with the fact that you pay per node.  The most attractive thing about
PSN is that supposedly you pay for your servers and you get your clients for
free. Nope, this is wrong you pay per node regardless of whether it is a
server or a client.  The pricing was somewhere along the lines of

 2 Nodes      $250.00
 4 Nodes      $500.00
10 Nodes     $1000.00

$99.00 per/node there after.

Those figures aren't exactly on but are close in my disappointment I forgot
to write down the exact figures.  Mac (World | User  ) can't remember which
had it priced at $249 for four servers with all the clients free.

What I don't understand is that the person I spoke to said you use a standard
AppleShare installation for the clients??  Then how can they charge for them?
How could servers limit the number of Clients if this is the case?

If anyone has any information or experiences that can help clear this up for
me please email me at:
			uw-beaver!microsoft!t-jims

Severely Disappointed
Not to Mention Confused

Jim Sather

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 12:29 N
From: <PURSCHKE%DMSWWU5P.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LaTeX for Macintosh

 In Info-Mac Digest V7 #174 Bruce A. Carter writes:

>A version of LaTeX for the Macintosh that runs with Textures is available
>from:

>Blue Sky Research

Why pay money for LaTeX if the sources are free? All you need is to download
them and create the format file with TexTures ( which you must have, of
course). It requires a Mac with 4MB to build the file, and at least 2MB to run
LaTeX. The sources can normally be found on your mainframe if it runs TeX, or
can be downloaded from LISTSERV@TAMVM1 or via ftp from score.stanford.edu.
Ask our local TeX guru what you need and how to build the format file.

        Martin

Bitnet: Purschke@dmswwu5p

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  4 Oct 89 10:37 EST
From: Thomas R. Blake <TBLAKE%BINGVAXA.BITNET@bingvmc.cc.binghamton.edu>
Subject: MacKermit just posted

Mac-Landers,

    About that MacKermit that was just posted, When it was still labeled a
"test-version", I experienced a number of problems, and reported them to
Info-Kermit.  I notice that at least some of these problems remain.  I have
posted the following message to Info-Kermit, but thought I better warn you
folks.

                                                Tom Blake

Folks,

    I reported a number of problems with test MacKermit back during the summer.
Now today I find a MacKermit has been released to Info-Mac at least which still
exibits at least some of the behaviours I had reported.

    Was the author made aware of these problems?  I find it hard to believe
that MacKermit would have been released with them still intact, and yet the
date listed in the about box would tend to indicate that this is still the same
MacKermit.

TBLAKE@BINGVAXA.BITNET                                  Thomas R. Blake
                                                        Lead Programmer/Analyst
                                                        Academic Support
                                                        SUNY-Binghamton

Problems that I recall:

1. Mouse arrow keys feature doesn't appear to work at all.
2. When Mouse Arrow Keys feature is used, and a send/file is initiated using
   Command-S, no cursor is shown for the dialog box.
3. When MacKermit receives an <ESC>)0, it switches into line-drawing character
   set.
4. When a scrolling region has been set, (smaller than the screen), and the
   cursor has been explicitly placed outside of the scrolling region, MacKermit
   appears to ignore <LF>'s.

------------------------------

Date: 03 Oct 89 22:02 CST
From: ANDREW TREMBLEY <@rice.edu:S703975%UWEC.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Multi-launchifying software

Housing has just purchased SuperPaint 2.0 and XPress 2.1 for our labs, and
I need to know if there is a way to make either or both multi-launching for
our servers.  We do have site licenses for both.  The programs are running
on an appleshare server.  I had heard once that it is possible through
ResEdit to do this, but I have no idea what to change.

advTHANKSance

Andrew T Trembley
S703975 @ UWEC .BITNET
Student Researcher/Consultant
Housing Department Computer Centers
University of Wisconsin Eau Claire

Disclaimer:  I don't not speak for my employer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 02:13 EDT
From: Doug Hardie <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: Multifinder Information

Where (hopefully in the archives) is the latest information on the
various event codes etc.  that were added with Multifinder?  In
particular, I am trying to figure out how to properly hide windows when
a program is switched out so that they don't cover the screen.  I have
been able to make them go away and come back by carefully observing the
various event codes that are issued and looking for commonalities.  But
that is not complete.  I would like the windows to stay when a DA is
initiated, but go away when the mini-icon or the switching entries at
the bottom of the apple menu are selected.  I have not been able to
figure out the difference between a DA and the switching entries yet.

Also, I am frequently encountering a error message about the program
being locked or busy when I try to start it up from a document.  Usually
trying it again works.  However, ResEdit never works that way unless I
first start it up from itself, then quit it.  Then it starts properly
>From the documents until I run another program.  Is there any way to fix
this?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  3 Oct 89  11:01:16 TST
From: SUREK%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: PASSWORD

HELLO!
I HAVE A PROBLEM I HAVE FORGETTEN THE PASSWORD OF
MY HYPERCARDPROGRAMM .I'VE TRIED A DEPROTECT PROGRAM
BUT IT WAS NOT oSUCCESSFUL. IF ANYONE HAS AN IDEA
ABOUT IT PLEASE WRITE ME THE NECESSARY STEPS I HAVE TO TAKE.
THANKS
Afife Surek
Bogazici University
Istanbul

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Oct 89 10:23:59 MDT
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: RastorOps Colorboard 264

RastorOps recently introduced a 24 bit video board called the Colorboard
264. It lists at an amazing $995 while other manufacturers are flogging
24 bit boards for $3000+. I am thinking of buying one of these new boards,
but would like to hear if anyone has had any experience with them. Do they
work, how fast are they, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help. Please respond to me directly and I will
summarize for the net.

Bob Bolt                   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre  CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta      AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#
B117 Education North       Voice: (403) 492-3926
Edmonton, AB  Canada       T6G 2G5

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 3 October 1989 1:39pm CST
From: SVAF524@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Russian Font in Hypercard

     I have run across a sticky problem in a HyperCard stack which I
am writing.
     The stack calls for me to put Russian characters into a text field;
I am currently using a font called "Russian".  With this font, several of
the characters are combination key strokes involving the option key.
The problem comes in that HyperCard is consistently splitting words at these
characters when the end of a line is reached, even if the character is
in the middle of the word.  This is a problem unique to HyperCard and does
not occur when I use this font with any of the standard word processors.
None of the Cyrillic fonts which I've tried are immune to this problem, in
one form or another.  The nature of the stack (wordgame) makes it impossible
for me to simply put carriage returns in manually.
     Has anyone run into this complication before?  Any quick fixes??

Pete Smith, at the Dept. of Slavic Languages,
UT-Austin   (SVAF524@UTXVM.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 10:00:28 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Shutdown and Restart Keyboard Equivalents (Cmd-R, Cmd-Q)

>I am running a Macc IIcx and System 6.0.3 and noticed something very strange
>the other day. Under the Special menu in both the Finder and Multifinder
>keyboard equivalents appeared next to both Restart and Shutdown. I tried
>restarting from my original system floppy, and they weren't there. None
>of the inits that I use are supposed to contribute these to the menu, but
>nonetheless they are there. Does anyone know where they came from?
>
>In a way, it could be useful, but a repeated cmd-Q from an application
>shuts down my machine. On the Mac IIcx that means powerdown. Has anyone
>ever seen these before? I can't seem to isolate the responsible program.
>
>Any ideas?

Use ResEdit and open the MENU resource in the Finder. Menu ID=5 contains the
menu entries for the Special menu. The 'R' & 'Q' values will be with the
Restart and Shutdown items. I'd suggest simply changing the 'Q' to an 'S',
and be done with it. You can also use this method to change the keyboard
equivalents in many (altho not all) applications. One caveat - if you run
multifinder, reboot into the Finder. Otherwise ResEdit will not let you
open the Finder (file already open).

>Kevin Bolduan, Amherst College
>KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

tom c

                       Electric Armaments Division
      US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
                    Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
                        ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil
  UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora  BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Oct 89 10:05:23 EDT
From: Jeff Meredith <meredith@erl.mit.edu>
Subject: Slides from Adobe Illustrator

We're working on projects with both Adobe Illustrator and Raw
PostScript. We're aware of service bureaus which can output to
Linotronic or other high resolution devices. What we'd like to
know is if there's a service which will output Illustrator
documents to 35mm slides for presentation.
Thanks,
Jeff Meredith
meredith@erl.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: 03 Oct 89 11:45 -0330
From: jblack%kean.ucs.mun.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Using Macs for the Spectrographic Analysis of Speech

If you know of appropriate hardware - software combinations allowing
the use of Macs for the analysis of speech waveforms, creating
on-screen and printable spectrograms of amplitude, Frequency and Time,
please pass on this information to: Jim BLACK, Linguistics Department,
Memorial University of Newfoundland, ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland, Canada,
A1B 3X9.  Phone: (709) 737-7632 / 8134.  Fax: (709) 737-4000. E-Mail:
bitnet%"jblack@mun", or on the network.  Many Thanks.

                                        Jim Black
                                        Linguistics
                                        M.U.N.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 14:35 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Writing to data fork of my application

Greetings,

There must be an easy way to open an access path to the data fork of an
application, from within that application.  We can't assume the application's
name, because the user may have changed it.  We can get a refNum to the
Resource Fork of the application (by calling CurResFile when we first start up)
but that doesn't point at our Data fork.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist