Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/11/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 10 Oct 89       Volume 7 : Issue 177

Today's Topics:
[QUESTION]:  How to attain 'hard-cells' in MS-EXCEL...
                         ADB from QuickBASIC
                      Another Think C 4.0 rebel
                         BITNET mail follows
                          Chaining programs
                       Command Key Equivalents
                    converting ICON->ICN# and back
                DAs being locked out under Multifinder
                         Ethernet for the Mac
         Hiding Windows of Inactive Apps. Under MF (reprise)
                               hyercard
                          Is CAL 3.02 alive?
            Is there a Cambodian (Khmer?) Font out there?
                     Keyboard Diagnostic Program
                   Notificaton Manager and Word 4.0
                               Printers
      PROPOSED COMPUTER LEGISLATION-RESTRICTING EDUCATION SALES
                         re. Mac AI software
                                SoftPC
                            SUN-Mac users
                             Tape Drives
                        Unrecognized mouse-ups
                    Uploading binhex files to VMS
                         Word 4.0 on a 512KE

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 17:35:53 GMT
From: caeco!i-core!beezer@uunet.uu.net (Beezer)
Subject: [QUESTION]:  How to attain 'hard-cells' in MS-EXCEL...

Hello,

        I'm trying to do something that used to be quite simple
with other worksheets - but this one is a toughy.  The example
is:

        A       B       C       D       E

1       X       X       X       X       X

2

3       a1/a3   b1/b3   c1/c3   d1/d3   e1/e3

4       a1/a4   b1/b4   c1/c4   d1/d4   e1/e4

5       a1/a5   b1/b5   c1/c5   d1/d5   e1/e5

[I realize the formulas are bogus, but the point is to show
 you that while I continue making similar rows of formula down,
 that I still want to reference the X cells.]

        The catch is that when you 'copy' a set of cells and
move them elsewhere on the spreed sheet, they will still reference
the (#up,#down,#left,#right) that they where positioned in, like
in chess.  For example, the formula in position A4 would read
'a2/a4' if I had copied it from the formula just above it.

        So, what I'm looking for is the method that MS-EXCEL
wishes the user to notate to use a "HARD-CELL" vector.  Your
help will be most appreciated.

Cordially,

   A. DALRYMPLE		beezer@i-core.uucp
			uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!beezer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 11:47 CST
From: BUSBEY%TCUAVMS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: ADB from QuickBASIC

We are evaluating a digitizing tablet (GTCO) with an ADB interface.  I wrote
a QuickBASIC program several years ago that accepts input from a large GTCO
digitizing tablet over the serial interface but we would like to go to the
ADB version because it lets us use the tablet in drafting programs.  GTCO
provides Hypercard functions and commands for getting information from the
tablet and PASCAL code for finding the ADB index number of the tablet and
the way that their tablets use the ADB data record for digitizing tablets.
I, unfortunately, can't make enough out of their description to convert to
QuickBASIC ToolBox commands.  Has anyone out there "built" an ADB interface
for QuickBASIC (or ZBASIC)?  I would really appreciate hearing from you.

For background purposes my name is Art Busbey and I am an assistant professor
of Geology at Texas Christian University.  If you wish to reply by posted mail
my address is Dr. Arthur Busbey, Department of Geology, Box 30798, Texas Christi
   an
University, Fort Worth, Texas, 76129.  Phone is (817)-921-7270.  I would
appreciate any help.  I would really like to be able to convert my programs
to the ADB interface.  Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 15:59:06 EDT
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: Another Think C 4.0 rebel

I ran accross a problem with Think C 4.0 that I Think (pun intended) can only
be explained as a bug.  Consider the following piece of code (roughly
speaking):

	CGrafPort	my_port;
	CGrafPPtr	my_portPtr;
	char		*my_ptr;
	  .
	  .
	my_portPtr= &my_port;
	OpenCPort (my_portPtr);			/* initialize port */
	  .
	  .
	(**my_port.pixMapHandle).baseAddr= NewPtr (sizeof(....));

Using the Debugger, I discovered that baseAddr was not being changed at all,
even though memory -is- being allocated properly.  I had to do the following
to make it work:

	my_ptr= NewPtr (sizeof(....));
	(**my_port.pixMapHandle).baseAddr= my_ptr;

Am I missing the obvious or is it really a bug?  It doesn't make sense...

						Hisham.

Hisham A. Abboud
Post Office Box 29375
Washington, D.C. 20017

Bitnet:    ABBOUD@CUA                           |
Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU    |
    or     ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@192.31.193.2      |

------------------------------

Date: 5 Oct 89   09:19 EDT
From: ATSDBL%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: BITNET mail follows

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89
>From: atsdbl@uoft01.bitnet (Dave Lutz)
Subject: Postscript commands to reset defaults on laserwriter?

I have a problem with a faculty member who has a LaserWriter IINT
connected to an IBM PC via the 25-pin port.apparently he sent some
postscript code to the printer which changes the communications
protocols from XON/XOFF to DTR - now he can't communicate to the
printer anymore. Does anyone out there know the necessary postscript
commands to either:

- set the protocol back to XON/XOFF   or
- reset the persistent ROM in the printer back to its defaults
  (if possible)

I will then transmit the postscript code to the laserwriter using
SENDPS from a Mac. Any help in getting this printer unstuck would be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David B. Lutz
The University of Toledo

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 89 16:07:28 CST
From: Michael Hanrahan <C09615MH%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Chaining programs

Hi,
    My department is working on developing a QuickMail bridge
to our CMS mainframe.  A "bridge" is a separate code resource which
responds to calls from the actual QM program.  We would like to
be able to call Red Ryder from within our bridge so it can handle
the "dirty work" of signing on CMS and transferring files with
some relatively easy-to-write scripts.

   The Problem: In order for this to work, the bridge needs to
"call" Red Ryder as if it were a subroutine.  I've heard of one
method of launching one application from within another (I'm not clear
on the specifics of how this is done) but I've also heard Apple
doesn't like developers using this trick, MultiFinder may not like
it, and this mechanism will be "broken" as they say when System 7.0
comes out.  The biggest problem I see with this (even if I could
get it to work) is I need to have Red Ryder return control to a
code resource, not an application.  (Red Ryder's script language DOES
have a call which allows another application to be launched.)

   The Question: Does anyone have familiarity with 1) what can and
cannot be done from within a code resource, and 2) are there reliable
ways of switching from one program to another reliably and in a way
that won't break come System 7.0?

                                Thanks much...

                                 Michael Hanrahan
                                 Educational Computing Services
                                 Washington University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 19:40 EDT
From: KSBOLDUAN%AMHERST.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Command Key Equivalents

Last week I posted a question about the "sudden" appearance of command
key equivalents for Shutdown and Restart in the Special menu. Many thanks
to those who responded and here is a summary:

With ResEdit, you can very easily alter the design of the Finder menus.
In the MENU resource of the FINDER, MENU ID=5 contains all the names of
the items within the menus, how they should look (bold etc.) and, if any,
they command key equivalents. It's very easy to just type in a letter into
the apporpraite box and Voila! you have a key command for any of the
items in the FINDER menus.

Also, if you don't want to go mucking around with ResEdit, you can download
a program called MENUEDIT from the Info-Mac archives. Though I've not seen
it, I've been told that it does essentially the same things as ResEdit CAN do,
but in an easier and more intuitive manner. It's archived as
info-mac/util/menuedit-11.hqx.

Thanks again to everyone who responded and I hope that this information is
useful to the Net.

Kevin Bolduan '91 Amherst College
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet Address

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 17:56:07 EDT
From: mdm@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Michael D. McDaniel)
Subject: converting ICON->ICN# and back

Hello everyone!
I am trying to convert ICON resources to ICN# resources and back again.  Is
there any way to do this?  ResEdit doesn't seem to be much help...

--
| Michael McDaniel              Dartmouth Class of 1991  |Snail Mail :-) |
| Usenet (UUCP):   ...!{harvard,linus,inhp4}!dartvax!mdm | HB 2285       |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 16:20:04 EDT
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: DAs being locked out under Multifinder

Greetings from sunny Chattanooga!
Why are my DAs locked up?
I'm running MultiFinder 6.0.3
            System 6.0.3
            Finder 6.1
            RAM = 2560 k
When I try to use a DA, I get a beep.  If I trun off Multifinder & restart,
they all work OK.  I think this happened before & somehow
the problem disappeared.  How can I make the problem disappear again?

JIM HENRY

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 14:11:20 EDT
From: David Rubin <RUBIN@graf.poly.edu>
Subject: Ethernet for the Mac

We have a user who is interested in hooking up his Mac Plus to the
Ethernet.  The only interfaces I have seen require the bus slots
of either the Mac SE or Mac II.  Does anyone know of an interface
that can be connected directly to a Mac plus, providing a tranceiver
interface for Ethernet?

Also, this user is under the impression that his Mac, when connected
to the Ethernet, can run SMTP in the background to receive E-mail
while he is running other applications.  Since the Mac is not a true
multi-tasking machine I am doubtful that this situation is possible.
Is there any TCP/IP package that allows for background mail transfer?

--
Dave Rubin
Polytechnic University

------------------------------

Date: 4 Oct 89 14:45:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
Subject: Hiding Windows of Inactive Apps. Under MF (reprise)

Thanks to all who responded about hiding windows of inactive applications
under MF. I am now running MF 6.1b7 (comes with SADE distribution discs) and
it does work. However, to reverse, "setting aside" an application, one must
select the DIMMED application names under the Apple menu. Dimmed selections
are not supposed to do anything! It is curious that, time and again, apple is
one of the worst violators of its own human interface guidelines.

I hope that when there is an MF 6.1 non-beta that this mechanism is revised to
conform with the interface guidelines.

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  4 Oct 89  14:01:56 EDT
From: Damian%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: hyercard

Hello,
A professor of mine here at UMass Amherst is interested in using
Hypercard as a tool for teaching music.  What we need is a way to
control a CD player or Tape Player from Hypercard.  I realize this
is sort of off the wall...but has anyone heard of anything like this?
I need something other than the Mac CD Rom Drive.

Thanks in advance,
Damian Roskill
damian@mars.ucc.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 21:34 EDT
From: Leo Geoffrion <MANAGER@ben.skidmore.edu>
Subject: Is CAL 3.02 alive?

I dowloaded the CAL-3.02 DA what was recently posted.  Using Stuffit the
file was BINHEXed and unstuffed with no apparent problems.  The resulting
files all looked fine, and the documentation was readable.  Double-clicking
on the DA file icon launched the FONT/DA MOVER, but the mover cannot find
any DA in the file.  Likewise, RESEDIT fails to find any recognizable
resources in the file.

Have others installed this new DA without problem? or is the posted file
defective?

(P.S.  I'm using standard system 6.0.2 with no exceptional INITs or other
       modifications).

Leo Geoffrion
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 15:40 EDT
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Is there a Cambodian (Khmer?) Font out there?

I'm involved in a small buisiness that is starting to write multilingual
science tutorials for non-english speaking students (in the grade range from
6-8)  on the mac.  One of the languages we are going to be using is Cambodian.
I beleive the alphabet is known as Khmer.

Does anyone out there have this font?  Does anyone know where I can get it?

We are also planning to use HyperDA to run the Hypercard lessons that we
produce.  Has anyone had any experience with this apparently very helpful
DA?

Please send your responses directly to me.

Thank you ever so much,

Spencer Zawasky
Computer Graphics Consultant

SZawasky@WheatnMA.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 16:13:19 EDT
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: Keyboard Diagnostic Program

Dear Network Colleagues:
4 or 5 of the keys on my keyboard are sending the wrong code.  I find this
by trying to set key-macros in Kermit.  For example, when I hit Keypad-= I get
"shift = (328)" code from Kermit.  I should only get that if I have held
"shift" while hitting Keypad-=.

I have 2 questions:
1.  Is there a keyboard diagnostic program in the archives?
2.  How should I fix the problem?  (I tried "cleaner-lubricator-spray with
     no results.)

Thanks for your help

JIM

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  5 Oct 89 11:12:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Edward John Sabol <es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Notificaton Manager and Word 4.0

The strange problem with MS Word 4.0's Chicago font changing to helvetica
also happens when Broadcast 1.2 receives a message. I thought the problem
was with the new Broadcast since the old version 1.1 never did this to my
knowledge. The font usually changes back to Chicago eventually (usually
after selecting a menu item).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 89 11:59:56 ADT
From: Jamie Murray <I8DR%UNB.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printers

  I was wondering about the pros/cons of using a non-apple printer on
my MAC, ie: Are the fonts as good, is extra software required, etc.

Thanx in advance.
J. Murray   I8DR@UNB.CA

------------------------------

Date: 04 OCT 89 10:44:17 CST
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PROPOSED COMPUTER LEGISLATION-RESTRICTING EDUCATION SALES

Dear  Fellow Educators,
As you may be aware, many computer manufacturers offer
substantial discounts on their computers to university students, faculty, and
staff.  Certainly, there is some marketing behind their offers.
However, their efforts also spread computer technology, encouraging
the use of computers in the education process.
I feel, and I hope that you do also, that computers are the
teaching tool of the T90s.  Students must have access to
computers as an integral part of their education.  Faculty
and staff must have access to computers to be able to teach
 the students through them.
Congress is in the process of developing legislation
that will restrict the sale of computers on university campuses.
Many feel that these restrictions will effectively stop campus
computer sales altogether.  This legislation is a portion
of the proposed Unrelated Business Income Tax Changes (UBIT),
 coming from the House Ways and Means Committee.
The current proposals being considered would  (l) prevent
students from buying computers at education prices from your
 campus reseller unless they get a permission slip from a
professor which states that the computer is required for a particular class;
and
(2) prevent college faculty and staff from purchasing
computers through the campus resale program at education
prices altogether.
Technically, Congress is not banning the sale of computers
on the campus.   Rather they are putting into place various
restrictions which  universities must comply with in order
to avoid a special tax ( the Unrelated Business Income Tax)
for non-proffit organizations.  Many universities are
commenting that if the administrative rules get too complex,
 they will just discontinue sales of computers on campus altogether.
Congress has been hearing from many businessmen, who complain
 that the discount offered on university campuses are hurting
 their retail sales.  Congress is listening to this group;
they have not heard from the education community.
Our legislators need to know that computers are an important
part of studentsU education.  They must be made aware that
students and educators require access to computers.
They must be told that computers are not just RtoysS or
luxuries for students.  They are used as an integral part
of the learning process.
As educators, we cannot let this proposed legislation be enacted.
Restrictions on the sales of computers on university campus
 are ridiculous.  Students need computers, just as they
need calculators, textbooks, and paper.  Yet no legislation
 has been proposed to restrict sales of these items on university campuses.
Write your legislators.  Talk with your colleagues and
students; encourage them to write also.  DonUt sit by
and let yet another piece of legislation adversely
affect the education process.
We in Texas are fortunate.  There are three members of
Congress from our state who are directly involved in this
proposed legislation.
Bill Archer--	Ranking Minority Member of the House Ways
and Means Committee
Mike Andrews--	Member of the House Ways and Means Committee
J.J PICKLE--	CHAIRMAN OF THE OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE,
WHICH AUTHORED THE DRAFT REPORT ON UBIT CHANGES.
Their address is:
U.S House of Representatives
Washington, DC  20515
If you would like more information, please feel free to
contact me.  I will continue to monitor this proposed
legislation.  If you would like to receive any updated information
, let me know via E-Mail.
When you send letters to these congressmen,
please send a copy to
Chuck Jacob
Apple Computer
1550 M Street, NW  Suite 1000
Washington, DC  20005
Mr. Jacob asked for copies of your letters, especially
>From educators in Texas.
Thank you--
Ron Rushing
 PO Box 5767
Nacogdoches, TX  75962
rrushing@sfaustin.BITNET
NOTE:  It's just me talking--not my employeer-- (there, I said it).

Ron Rushing    <rrushing@sfaustin.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 17:12:59 EDT
From: James Gallagher <TJP101%URIACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: re. Mac AI software

Someone asked about AI software for the mac several days ago. I have
been using Allegro CL for about 7 months now and found it to be quite
complete. It, however, does require more memory than LPA or MacScheme
(I really like MacScheme+ToolSmith too).
James

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 89 07:40:49 LCL
From: Gene Smith <ESMITH%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SoftPC

   I just found out yesterday that there is a product called SoftPC
which allows a Macintosh to operate as an IBM compatible machine. I
have a need for both environments in my work and this seems like a
cost effective approach since I already have a Macintosh IIcx
with 8meg memory. A few questions for the list:

   1. Does anyone have any experience with SoftPC they could share?
      Pros and Cons would be greatly appreciated.

   2. If in the PC mode, how is a laserwriter used by IBM applications?

   3. Is there IBM software that cannot be supported in this environment?

   4. Does emulation of the IBM environment drastically reduce program
      execution speed?

   Please contact me directly with responses and I will summarize the
information for the list. Thanks.

Lead Programmer Analyst
Administrative Information Systems
Syracuse University

              ______    BITNET:    ESMITH@SUVM
             /      |   INTERNET:  N/A
  _________/        |   UUCP:      N/A
  >         *       |   COMPUSERV: N/A
 /                  |   AT&TNET:   1-315-443-9282
|______________     |   SNAILNET:  P.O. Box 821
               `_   |              Syracuse, New York
                 `__|              13205-0821
                        PADNET:    Somewhere between here and there
                        ICBMNET:   43 03 04 N, 76 09 14 W, ALT 400

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 09:02:58 EDT
From: vita@disney.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita)
Subject: SUN-Mac users

>What software product must be used on the SUN4 to allow it to be an AppleShare
>server?
>Garry E. Elliott, gwe@aplvax.jhuapl.edu

If you use a Cayman GatorBox with GatorShare, none.  The GatorShare
software runs on the GatorBox itself and does NFS-AFP conversion.  This
means that any NFS server on the network can serve as an AppleShare server.

If you use a Kinetics Fastpath, or a GatorBox without GatorShare, there are
(at least) two choices: Columbia's CAP (public domain), and IPT's uShare
(commercial product).  You must install a copy of the software on each host
that you wish to be able to serve files.

Note: I'm not sure if CAP and uShare are running on Sparc-based machines
yet.

Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita
Schenectady, NY

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 10:06 CDT
From: Michael Califf <CALIFFM%BAYLOR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Tape Drives

I am in the process of evaluating Macintosh tape drives for my
University and am looking for pointers to articles (especially
comparisons of multiple units) as well as personal recommendations.

Please send all replies to me, I will summarize for the net.

Mike Califf                    (POSTMAST[ER])
Communications Software Coord  Internet: califfm@baylor.ccis.baylor.edu
Baylor University C.C.I.S.     Bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR
B.U. Box 7268                  THEnet:   BAYLOR::CALIFFM
Waco, TX 76798-7268            Phone:    (817) 755-2711

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 18:31:28 EDT
From: Jonathan_Maybaum@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Unrecognized mouse-ups

Can anyone diagnose a problem (just an annoyance, really) that I have had with my Mac II?  The symptom is that, for the first 10-15 minutes after a cold start, mouse-ups appear not to be recognized until I move the mouse.
For example, if I pull down a menu and release the mouse button while on a selection, nothing happens.  That is, the menu stays down, the selected menu item is inverted and I can walk away and come back a couple of minutes later and
 still s
ee the same scene.  Any relocation of the mouse, however, will complete the emnu selection.
I have a Mac II with 5 Mb, Rodime 1400RX (140 Mb), Apple Color monitor; System 6.02 and usualy the following INITs :
Pyro, Suitcase II, Vaccine, TOPS, QuickMail, HD Partition, Guardian, QuicKeys

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 11:11 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Uploading binhex files to VMS

Greetings,

I have been having a problem that possibly has plagued you, so I thought I'd
tell you the solution.

Problem:

Uploading a binhexed file to VMS using Kermit32 on the VAX and
Mac Kermit 0.9(40) resulted in corrupted files.  Downloading worked
consistantly OK.

Solution:

Set your terminal to eight-bit.

The Reason:

If I knew the reason I would be a wealthy man!  It seems to have to do with the
ampersand character being occassionally processed by Kermit on the VAX as an
eight-bit quoting character.

I hope this helps someone out there overcome the same problem that had almost
driven me crazy.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 14:45:14 EDT
From: cperry@starbase.mitre.org (Chris Perry)
Subject: Word 4.0 on a 512KE

I recently upgraded from Word 3.02 to Word 4.0 on my 512KE only
to find that 4.0 performs like a Galapagos Island sea tortoise
on its way to a barnacle scrape.  That is to say, 4.0 scrolls
slowly, does Find/Change slowly, etc.  After several days of
frustration came the Last Straw:  Word took 12 minutes to spell-
check a one-page letter!

Word 4.0 works great on my IIcx at the office, and I really like
it, but if I can't get better performance out of 4.0 than I'm
getting, it's time to reload 3.02.  The Microsoft technical
support people are sympathetic but can't help.

I'm running System 3.2 and Finder 5.3, since 5.5/4.1 won't quite
work in 512K, with an Olde HyperDrive 20.

Any suggestions that would make Word 4.0 work faster?  Replies to
cperry@gateway.mitre.org.

Many thanks.

Chris Perry

End of Info-Mac Digest