Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/17/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 16 Oct 89       Volume 7 : Issue 181

Today's Topics:
           (Hypercard & audio CDs) Info-Mac Digest V7 #177
                      Another Think C 4.0 rebel
                        Aztec C compiler bug?
          Cancerous System File is taking up all my memory!
                    converting ICON->ICN# and back
                         Ethernet for the Mac
                   Hiding Windows of Inactive Apps.
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #177
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #178
                              JMP ships!
                     Microsoft Excel "Hard Cells"
                        Multi-lingual software
                             NCSA-TELNET
                      Parking Super Drive Heads
              Postscript files from Mac to PrintServer40
      PROPOSED COMPUTER LEGISLATION-RESTRICTING EDUCATION SALES
                               Que 1.2
                       Software for the Blind?
                 TeXtures and Apple Imagewriter LQ
                          THINK C 4.0 "bug"
                    TN3270 emulation for the mac??
                           WindChooser 1.12

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 11 Oct 89 14:14:03 GMT
From: ames!apple!apple.com!blob%pasteur.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Brian Bechtel)
Subject: (Hypercard & audio CDs) Info-Mac Digest V7 #177

In article <8910110502.AA22962@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> damian@umass.bitnet
writes:
> A professor of mine here at UMass Amherst is interested in using
> Hypercard as a tool for teaching music.  What we need is a way to
> control a CD player or Tape Player from Hypercard.  I realize this
> is sort of off the wall...but has anyone heard of anything like this?
> I need something other than the Mac CD Rom Drive.

The Hypercard CD Audio Toolkit available from APDA lets you control audio
tracks of a CD down to approximately 1/75th of a second.  It's got a
pretty complete set of functions (as complete as I could think of,
anyway).  This package was written for the AppleCD SC drive.  Optical
Media International, (408) 395-4332, sells a CD-ROM driver which supports
many different drives and gives close enough emulation to the AppleCD SC
driver that you can use the audio toolkit with another drive.  I know that
some models of Toshiba CD-ROM players are supported.

If you're looking for support for a consumer audio-only CD player, I don't
know of anything, mostly because there doesn't seem to be a standard
command set for these beasts.  Email me back the exact hardware, and I'll
guess if my abovementioned scheme will work...

Professor Robert Winter at UCLA has been using the Hypercard CD Audio
toolkit to teach the art of listening, using Beethoven's 9th as the piece.
This is now available from the Voyager Company, (213) 451-1383.  Voyager
have also created some tools designed to make creation of such stacks
much easier.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 13:00:56 EDT
From: ehorvath@attmail.att.com (Ned Horvath)
Subject: Another Think C 4.0 rebel

abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham) writes:
> I ran accross a problem with Think C 4.0 that...can only be explained as
> a bug.  Consider the following piece of code (roughly speaking):

> 	(**my_port.pixMapHandle).baseAddr= NewPtr (sizeof(....));

> Using the Debugger, I discovered that baseAddr was not being changed at all,
> even though memory -is- being allocated properly.  I had to do the following
> to make it work:

> 	my_ptr= NewPtr (sizeof(....));
> 	(**my_port.pixMapHandle).baseAddr= my_ptr;

> Am I missing the obvious or is it really a bug?  It doesn't make sense...

You're missing something inobvious: Think C will dereference your
pixMapHandle BEFORE it invokes NewPtr; when the NewPtr causes memory to
be moved, your precalculated left-hand-side becomes bogus.  The result
of NewPtr is being assigned to where the baseAddr USED to be...

This was a common complaint about earlier Think C versions; apparently they
haven't chosen to change.  Notice that the order of execution is not
restricted by any C standards -- Think is within compliance here.  Perhaps
they made a bad choice.

You've shown one workaround: capture NewXXX results in a temporary.  The
alternative is to HLock()/HUnlock() the pixMapHandle.

=Ned Horvath=
ech@pegasus.att.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 10:14:25 EDT
From: IO81129%MAINE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Aztec C compiler bug?

     I have been using the aztec c compiler on my mac recently and for the firs
t time started using the ran() function.  The manual says that it returns a dou
ble type number between 0.0 and 1.0 .
    Well, I wrote a short routine that uses printf( "%g",ran() ) and it returns
all sorts of double precision numbers both positive and negative big and small.
   HAs anyone else had experience with this function and the compiler in genera
l.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't really want to write and ran
dom number generator.
          Thanks  Mark Rousseau IO81129@MAINE
                  Physics gradual student
                  Umaine

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 11:14 CDT
From: <BWA6067%TAMVENUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Cancerous System File is taking up all my memory!

I need some help desperately.  I have a Mac Plus, upgraded to 2.5M,
running system 6.0.3.

My problem is this:  even with 2.5M, I can only open one application at
a time under Multifinder or else I get an "out of application memory"
error.  Even when I just open up Microsoft Word 4.0 (668 K), the machine
claims that there's not enough memory available and opens the
application with only the available memory...needless to say, this
causes me a lot of problems.

I opened up the "About the Finder" DA under the special menu, and the
System file is taking up 1934 K!  Its suggested application size is only
about 450 K.  Does anyone know how I might recover the superfluous disk
space that System is claiming?

Thanks for your help.

Brent W. Auvermann

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 11:50:44 GMT
From: Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: converting ICON->ICN# and back

mdm@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Michael D. McDaniel) writes:

>I am trying to convert ICON resources to ICN# resources and back again.  Is
>there any way to do this?  ResEdit doesn't seem to be much help...

The only way I know how to do this is with ResEdit. If you hold down
the Shift key, you can drag a selection. In this case you want to drag
the entire square.

Cut and Paste as usual.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 12:25 EDT
From: V141GXZN@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: Ethernet for the Mac

> We have a user who is interested in hooking up his Mac Plus to the
> Ethernet.  The only interfaces I have seen require the bus slots
> of either the Mac SE or Mac II.  Does anyone know of an interface
> that can be connected directly to a Mac plus, providing a tranceiver
> interface for Ethernet?

A few months a go I saw an advertisement in MacUser for an SCSI Ethernet
connector.  I can not find the name of the company right now, but I will look
for it.  Your best bet would be to find the May or June issue and look for it.
The ad was distinctive, a mac connected to a banana.  If anyone else saw this
ad you help and see if you can find their name and address.

   --- Alex W Lynn		Bitnet: v141gxzn@ubvms
				Internet: v141gxzn@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 14:25:02 EDT
From: Joel B Levin <levin@bbn.com>
Subject: Hiding Windows of Inactive Apps.

>From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nist.gov>
>
>Thanks to all who responded about hiding windows of inactive applications
>under MF. I am now running MF 6.1b7 (comes with SADE distribution discs) and
>it does work. However, to reverse, "setting aside" an application, one must
>select the DIMMED application names under the Apple menu. Dimmed selections
>are not supposed to do anything! It is curious that, time and again, apple is
>one of the worst violators of its own human interface guidelines.

Only the SICN (small icon) is dimmed (to show that it is set aside).
The menu item itself, the name of the application, is NOT dimmed!  I
think Apple did OK here.

	/JBL

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 12:18:21 CDT
From: "Mark R. Williamson" <MARK@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #177

Here are some answers to questions in V7 #177 by users to whom I could
not respond directly:

>Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 17:35:53 GMT
>From: caeco!i-core!beezer@uunet.uu.net (Beezer)
>Subject: [QUESTION]:  How to attain 'hard-cells' in MS-EXCEL...

>Hello,
>
>        I'm trying to do something that used to be quite simple
>with other worksheets - but this one is a toughy.  The example
>is:
>
>        A       B       C       D       E
>
>1       X       X       X       X       X
>
>2
>
>3       a1/a3   b1/b3   c1/c3   d1/d3   e1/e3
>
>4       a1/a4   b1/b4   c1/c4   d1/d4   e1/e4
>
>5       a1/a5   b1/b5   c1/c5   d1/d5   e1/e5
>

>[I realize the formulas are bogus, but the point is to show
> you that while I continue making similar rows of formula down,
> that I still want to reference the X cells.]

You want to use the "Reference" item on the "Formula" menu (cmd-T) to
change (e.g.) A1 to A$1, meaning "same column, absolute row 1".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 12:24:18 EDT
From: Mike Fessler <ST801723%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #178

I've heard excellent things about Ehman Engineering's 20-meg hard drive, which
I believe sells for $399.00.  They also have a 32-meg drive for around 50-70
dollars more.  Their prices are really amazing--I believe they even have a 60
meg drive for $579.00. (These are all external SCSI drives)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 09:53 EDT
From: Al MacBest <BEST@ruby.vcu.edu>
Subject: JMP ships!

Yesterday I received my copy of JMP.  SAS institute's mac product
that does statistical graphics.  It comes with a peach and teal
colored manual (not the pages, just the cover) and looks good.
As you perhaps recall, there was some discussion that SAS was going
to charge lots of bucks for site licences -- no shrink wrap.
Not so.  List price is $595 (still no bargain but who pays retail anyway)
and you buy it shrink wrap (Mac Connenction should have it soon).
There are also educational and quantity discounts and a fully functional
version called JMP-In which is crippled in the number of cells you can read
in or save that is $59-89 -- cheap!!!
Call Bill Gjertsen at SAS for more info  (919) 467-8000.
Al Best

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 20:30 PDT
From: IC6JRHW@oac.ucla.edu
Subject: Microsoft Excel "Hard Cells"

A. Dalrymple requested assistance specifying "hard cell" identifiers
in formulas using Microsoft's Excel (Info-Mac Digest, Tuesday,
10 Oct 89, Volume 7, Issue 177).  I have sent him a direct response,
but am forwarding it to Info-Mac Digest for other interested users:

Dear A. Dalrymple:

Your message in Info-Mac Digest v. 7 #177 was not very clear, but
I think the following is an appropriate response.  On page 76 of
the Microsoft Excel (version 1.5) manual appears the following:

     Relative and Absolute References  When you build a formula,
     you can refer to cells using relative references or absolute
     references.

     A relative reference is like giving someone directions--"go up
     two blocks and over one."  An absolute reference is like an
     address--"3812 Atlantic."

     .
     .
     .

     An absolute reference is unique to each cell.  For example, $C$3
     is the cell in column C, row 3.  No other cell has this reference.
     The dollar signs mean that $C$3 is an absolute reference.

If cell A1 contains the numeric value 10, and cell A2 contains the
formula "35/A1," and you copy the contents of cell A2 to cell A3,
cell A3 will then contain the formula "35/A2."  If, however, cell A2
contains the formula "35/$A$1" and you copy the contents of cell A2
to cell A3, then A3 will also contain the formula "35/$A$1."

I hope that answers the question you were asking.

Ron Webster  (IC6JRHW@UCLAMVS or IC6JRHW@OAC.UCLA.EDU)
-------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 13:35:09 EDT
From: "Geoffrey W. Bilder" <GBILDER%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Multi-lingual software

I too was recently enticed by the promise of "multi-lingual" word
processing and page layout capabilities.  Davka Corp. has been
advertising their AllScript and AllPage packages in MacWeek for the
past month or so.   Davka claims that its products will allow one to
word process in "Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese" and "Japanese".

  I was intrigued by this ad,  and called the company to find out
what kind of input method they used for entering Chinese characters.
Specifically, I wanted to know whether their products supported
both full and simplified Chinese characters.   I was informed by the
person answering Davka's phone, that he didn't know what kind of
Chinese characters their packages supported, but that he could
describe the method used  for entering the characters.  The interface
that he described to me sounded suspiciously familiar, and upon
further inquiry, I discovered that what he was describing to me was
the interface of Apple's Hanzi system software.  The man at Davka
went on to tell me that in order to use their product for typing in
Arabic, Hebrew, or Japanese, one had to use Apple's Arabic, Hebrew,
or Japanese system software!

To be fair to Davka, their advertisement does state that their
software is "compatible with Apple's script language systems".
Unfortunately, they fail to mention that their software is entirely
dependent on Apple's foreign language system software and that
there is nothing intrinsically "multi-lingual" about Davka's products.

 Even more unfortunate is that Davka cobbled together a picture of a
screen showing a window of Arabic text,  a window of Japanese text,
and a window of "English text" (sic)  next to each other.  A picture of
a font menu next to the windows includes Arabic, Japanese, Chinese,
and Hebrew character sets as font choices.  This picture implies
(although the copy contradicts this) that one can work with all of
these languages at the same time.  This is not the case.   Anybody
who has used Apple's foreign system software knows that one can
use both the "local" method of character entry and the standard left-
to-right character entry method at the same time.  One can not,
however, use two "local" methods (Chinese & Arabic, for instance) for
entering characters at the same time.

In short, it seems that Davka is marketing a normal word processor
that just happens to not violate any of Apple's programming
guidelines for using the system script manager.  This in itself could
be considered a laudable enterprise if the programs were not
advertised in such a misleading manner.  Many Macintosh word
processors and text editors don't work well with Apple's foreign
system software (presumably because the programs in question
violate Apple's script manager guidelines).  There are, however, some
text editors and word processors that will work under a foreign
system.  MacWrite is one of them.  If you get hold of a copy of one of
Apple's foreign system packages (you can get them from A.P.D.A),
and  use MacWrite, you may find that you don't need to shell out
$300+ dollars for "multi-lingual software".

Geoffrey W. Bilder

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1989 17:06:38 CDT
From: MSS@fusion.utexas.edu
Subject: NCSA-TELNET

I am useing NCSA Telnet version 2.2.3 (FTP improved at BYU (Dec 1988)) to
access Info-Mac.  The first time I make a connection I get the line:

255   253

rather than the normal greeting and nothing works but the QUIT command.
If I reconnect without quiting Telnet things work fine.  Does anyone know
What is going on here?

Does anyone have a NCSA Telnet version 2.3 with the BYU improvements to FTP?
The BYU improvements allow me to transfer files directly to my MAC from
Info-Mac or any other machine running FTP and saves a lot of time.

Michael Sternberg

Internet: MSS@FUSION.UTEXAS.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 17:10 EST
From: HENRY YEE <HENRY@atc.bendix.com>
Subject: Parking Super Drive Heads

W A R N I N G:
 W A R N I N G:

I don't have an Apple Super Drive, but it was said at our user group
meeting that the heads are parked when the disk is removed.  It would be
potentially harmful to leave either the disk or the plastic "fake" disk
in the drive when transporting the machine.  Does anyone confirm this?
What does it say in the manual?

Henry Yee
IN%"Henry%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 17:50 CDT
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Postscript files from Mac to PrintServer40

I am trying to print a Postscript file generated using Microsoft Word on a
PrintServer40 on a VAX.  I am getting an error concerning MD being an offending
command.  I am guessing that there may be a great deal of Apple LaserWriter
specific code embedded in the file.  Is there a way to print a postscript file
captured on the MAC (I use MyPageSetUp to create a Disk File choice on the
Print Dialog and chose the Apple LaserWriter driver) to print on the
PrintServer40.  I realize there are better alternatives with great network
software but it may take us awhile if at all to get that software (AlisaTalk,
etc...)  Is there a "generic" postscript printer driver (i.e. another icon in
the Chooser)?  Is there a way to "include" the Apple laserwriter prep info into
the file?

Bill Bryson
SWTSU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 09:27:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael J. McInerny" <mcinerny+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: PROPOSED COMPUTER LEGISLATION-RESTRICTING EDUCATION SALES

Maybe this is a good idea.

For instance:  let's say I want to choose between a Mac and an Amiga.
On the street, it's no contest, since Amigas are so much cheaper than
Macs.  However, at universities such as CMU, the discount on Macs is so
great, that the price disparity is practically nil.  This doesn't sound
very fair to Commodore Amiga, because while I would've choosen an Amiga
in the outside world, a Mac is the only reasonable choice on campus.

The situtation is worse:  because the Mac is so attractive to the campus
community, everyone buys one and people start supporting it with campus
AppleTalks and routers and laser printers and Mac clusters and software
like MacMail, not to mention site license software like ACL.  All
because Macs are discounted here on campus.

So, even if I did get an Amiga, I would have no support.

Even if Commodore did lower the price, the damage has been done:  the
Mac is firmly entrenched here on campus.  And all the students here will
graduate and go out into the real world and pay real-world prices for
the Macs they know and love.

However, if Macs were sold on-campus at the prices they command in the
real world, very few students could afford them.  Then people would look
at more reasonably priced, and more capable systems, like the Amiga, and
start supporting that.  This is the way markets are supposed to work:
survival of the fittest, not survival of those who make concessions to
the right people to gain unfair market advantages....

-Michael

P.S.  Feel free to substitute your favorite computer for the word Amiga
above....

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 11:15 EDT
From: Rob Kassel <rob@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Que 1.2

Here is Que 1.2, an update to Que.

Que is a simple system for transferring mail messages between QuickMail
and a UNIX host.  It's free!

ROB

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/que-12.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 17:43:24 EDT
From: atkinson%UNCAEDU.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject: Software for the Blind?

Software for the Visually Handicapped??

Hi all!  Does anyone know if there is any software which
reads (auditorily) text as it is entered into the mac...a MA.ac
text processor.  I am working with a visually impared
masters student and such a program would be a great time
saver.  Tah..hanks  Mark   (Atkinson@UNCAEDU)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 21:59:59 CDT
From: kc_yeo@sngsf1.sinet.slb.com (KC Yeo*Sedco Forex S'pore*Tel-65-345-9944*Fax-65-344-2655)
Subject: Summary : Cricket Graph color output problem

Below is the summary of my problem with Cricket Graph color output.  Thanks for
those who have help though I have not got any solution for it.
Arthur
SINET : KC_YEO@SNGSF1.SINET.SLB.COM

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>From:	SNGSF1::KC_YEO       "KC Yeo*Sedco Forex S'pore*Tel-65-345-9944*Fax-65-344-2655" 13-SEP-1989 13:44:42.03
Subj:	Cricket Graph with HP plotter problem

I run Cricket Graph ver 1.2 on Mac II with HP7475A plotter as the output
device.  There are some problems with the output : fancy text like bold face
and outline are all plotted as plain-thin text; shading of bar or pie are also
plotted plain.  Can anyone help me ?  Thank you very much.
Arthur
KC_YEO@SNGSF1.SINET.SLB.COM

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>From:	PSI%SNDRTR::PSI%ASCSU1::eleazar.dartmouth.edu::boomer "Rich Akerboom" 15-SEP-1989 21:11:04.74

try getting version 1.3.  i don't know if that helps, but can't hurt.  call
cricket for their upgrade policy .

] I TESTED VERSION 1.3.  NO HELP.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>From : Internet : ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU)

According to Rich Norling (co-author), Cricket Graph does not take any extra
steps to support plotters.  In other words, it will not do clipping of
overlapping regions, font substitution, etc.  It only supports a plotter to
the extent of the plotter's own intelligence and built-in fonts.

For decent output from Cricket Graph, you are better off using the LaserWriter
or ImageWriter II (for color).

] I REALLY NEED TO OUTPUT ON TRANSPARENCY IN COLOR.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>From:	PSI%SNDRTR::PSI%ASCSU1::silver.bacs.indiana.edu::harlanp "Peter Harlan"  4-OCT-1989 14:44:50.69

I can't help but suggest going over b&w graphs with transparency
felt-pens.  Not overly automated, but you did say low volume, and this
is REALLY low cost...

It is also the solution I have most commonly seen when someone is
using transparencies in a lecture, including 'important' people.  In
fact, the only time I *ever* saw someone present a multi-color
transparency was a guy who was giving a lecture on user-friendliness
-- he was really into clarity of presentation and had this neat
acid-pen trick that revealed and highlighted sections of the
transparency as needed.  But the transparencies weren't reusable, and
they weren't multicolor in the usual sense.

The suggestion very likely isn't appropriate for your application, but
it was all I could come up with.

Pete Harlan
<harlanp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>From:	PSI%SNDRTR::PSI%ASCSU1::att.att.com::ihlpm.UUCP::dcn  4-OCT-1989 22:37:10.17

The HP PaintJet prints in color on paper or transparencies.  It has 180 dpi
resolution and a reasonable color range for its price: $1000.  I use one
at home, and with a little attention to the colors used, you get very nice
output.  It's also quiet and fast enough for your purposes.

				Dave Newkirk, att!ihlpm!dcn

] CONTACTED LOCAL DEALER, WAITING FOR THE DEMO.  WILL LET YOU KNOW THE RESULT.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>From:	PSI%PRSRTR::PSI%ASCSU1::netcon.cua.edu::cuavax.dnet::abboud "Hisham"  5-OCT-1989 04:11:01.95
Subj:	More on Circket graph

Regarding Cricket Graph again, you do have a couple of solutions:

    1-	Through the Clipboard, copy the graph to MacDraw II and then use
	the plotter driver that comes with it.  You get the added benefit
	of being able to edit the graph some more before plotting.

] I DON'T HAVE ANY PLOTTER DRIVER FOR MACDRAW II.  WHERE CAN I FIND IT ?

    2-	Use a third-party specialized plotter drivers.  I don't remember
	any names right now, but usually price range is $150-$350.  Even
	then, don't expect too much!

] DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH ?? WHERE CAN I FIND IT ?

What kind of equipment do you want to plot on?

] HP7475A, 6 PENS PLOTTER, SERIAL INTERFACE.

						Hisham.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

------------------------------

Date: 11 Oct 89  1555 PDT
From: Arthur Keller <ARK@sail.stanford.edu>
Subject: TeXtures and Apple Imagewriter LQ

I have TeXtures on a Mac IIx and am printing my output on an Imagewriter
LQ.  Unfortunately, the fonts supplied with TeXtures (and LaTeX) are too
low resolution, so the results on the LQ printer are not much better than
they would be on an ordinary Apple Imagewriter.  How do I get larger sizes
of the Plain and LaTeX fonts?  Also, how I get an ordinary Metafont font
into TeXtures font format?  Thanks.

Arthur

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 09:40:38 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: THINK C 4.0 "bug"

	(**my_port.pixMapHandle).baseAddr= NewPtr (sizeof(....));

Kabong!

Welcome to the club, Hisham.  This characteristic of C has bitten many
people programming on the Mac.

It's not a bug.  It's an artifact of a very simple rule in C:  the
order in which subexpressions are evaluated is frequently _not_
specified by the language... it's up to the compiler-writer to do
it.  If the order isn't what you expect, and if some of the operations
that you perform have side-effects, then you can (and do!) see unexpected
results.

In your statement, the following sequence of events occurs.

1) The handle at my_port.pixMapHandle is dereferenced once, resulting
   in the address of the PixMap being held in a register.

2) NewPtr is called to allocate a block.  As a result of this call, the
   application heap is compacted or scrambled... an expected and
   documented side-effect of most memory-allocating functions.

   During the heap compaction, the relocatable block containing your
   PixMap moves!

3) On return from the NewPtr call, the newly-allocated pointer is stored
   into where the code _thinks_ the PixMap is, using the register
   value from step (1).  However, because the PixMap was moved during
   step (2), the register is no longer valid... your newly-allocated
   block's pointer is stored where the PixMap *was*, not where it *is*.

I'd be ashamed to admit the number of times this syndrome has bitten me
while programming on the Mac... it's a very easy mistake to make.  The
code _looks_ correct, but doesn't take into account a side-effect of
the NewPtr call (heap compaction).

There are two ways around the tarpit:

-  Execute the NewPtr first, storing its result in a temporary variable.
   Then, store the temp where you really want it.  This approach ensures
   that the heap-compaction can't invalidate a handle-dereferencing
   operation.

-  Use a single assignment statement, but make certain that you've
   locked all of the handles that you may be dereferencing.

The former approach is arguably better... there's less chance that
your NewPtr() call will fail due to heap fragmentation.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date: 11 Oct 89 15:40:00 EDT
From: "MCLELLAN, MARK R" <mclellan@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
Subject: TN3270 emulation for the mac??

Does anyone know of public domain or commercial TN3270 software
which would allow the mac to log directly on to an IBM mainframe?

Any help appreciated.

Send comments, assistance, etc.  to:

Mark McLellan                            *

mclellan@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu  [128.227.128.170

                                         *

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 08:56:58 EDT
From: gall@nexus.yorku.ca (Norman R. Gall)
Subject: WindChooser 1.12

cdev/INIT to install alternate WDEFs--there are 4 included.  Quite
attractive.

The cdev installs a WDEF, so you'll have to acknowledge it with
Vaccine or over-ride Gatekeeper when you change WDEFs.

nrg

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/windchooser-112.hqx; 33K]

End of Info-Mac Digest