Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/25/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 25 Oct 89       Volume 7 : Issue 185

Today's Topics:
    Another OPTION for DAs locked out under Multifinder partition.
                          Aztec C Not buggy
                      Be Wary of Kermit 0.98(62)
                       Boomeerang vs CMD Dialog
                       Cal 3.02 Clarifications
            Changing file types in a Standard File dialog
                   Daylight Savings CDev/Init v1.1
                Developing Mac Applications Under AUX
        Dumping PostScript files to a LaserWriter IINT (how?)
                        Educational discounts
                 Font Editor-HyperTalk- Needed/Wanted
                           FullWrite fonts
                             HD problems
                         Imagewriter spooler?
                           Locking Scripts
                       Looking for an archive.
              low cost, high resolution HP B/W printers
                MacRecorder vs. Think C  or Allegro CL
              More on DAs being locked under Multifinder
                 Mouse problem with 6.0.1 and MacPlus
                         Searching for a font
                       spurious update EVENTS??
                        Update vs null events
                             WindowShade

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 15:37:29 CDT
From: kjeld@crdecf.csc.ti.com
Subject: Another OPTION for DAs locked out under Multifinder partition.

Seems to me that holding the optionKey (or shift or cmd or something like
that) when selecting a DA (have to wait till the Apple menu is visible
before holding the optionKey) causes the DA to launch into the heap space
of the current application, and does not cause the DA Handler to launch.
So all you have to do is find an application that has a lot of free
space (you can "About Finder" for this), go to that applications partition,
and then launch your DA with the optionKey down.

The down side of this is that when you quit that application, the DA also
goes away.

Regards,
Kurt Christensen
KJELD@CRDECF.csc.ti.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 09:14:59 EDT
From: IO81129%MAINE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Aztec C Not buggy

    I sent a letter last week saying that I thought that I had found a bug with
 the Aztec C compilers random function,  Well  it seems the bug is not in the p
rogram but rather in the user ( me).  I was misusing the library function by no
t telling the compiler what type the random function returns.
    My sincerest appologies to Aztec for what I said.

     Mark ' foot in the mouth' Rousseau  IO81129 at Maine

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 10:06 CST
From: <RL9721S%DRAKE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Be Wary of Kermit 0.98(62)

The following is a note I sent to the Info-Kermit list.  One should be
very careful regarding the new TEST Version of MacKermit 0.98(62).

                              *********

In testing the new 'test' version of MacKermit I have observed the
following about MacBinary transfers (of great interest here).  When I
upload a program file to our VAX using MacBinary and then download it
using MacBinary mode, I recover a working program again.  Everything
seems wonderful.

When I try to upload a Microsoft Word 4.0 document or an Excel 2.2
document using MacBinary mode, the following EVIL happenings occur.
At the end of the transfer, MacKermit 0.98(62) pops up an alert box
and tells me "Data Fork size mismatch..should be 10240 is 0".  The
Word document has some text and a MacPaint type picture in it.  Of
course, the document does NOT have a resource fork.

When I leave MacKermit and go back to Multifinder, the Word document
is still on the desktop.  If I double-click the Word document, Word
4.0 tries to open it, but then puts up an alert box which says, "File
does not match file type; will be read as text".  Word then continues
and displays an EMPTY page.  Quitting Word, I go back to Multifinder
and Get Info about the Word document.  The Multifinder Info Box says
the file size is 0.

Looking at the file with FEdit 3.21, brings up an alert box which
says, " This file cannot be displayed because neither the data fork or
resource fork have disk sectors allocatted."

In other words, MacKermit 0.98(62) has destroyed the Word document.

Apparently, the implementation of MacBinary transfers MUST have both a
data fork and a resource fork or it gets confused.  I have not tried
putting a phoney resource fork into a Word document to see if this
makes everything o.k.  Obviously, one would want to be able to upload
such Word documents without having to go through a kludge.

I am running System Software 6.0.2 on a Mac II (4 Mb) under
Multifinder.

Hope this is helpful in discovering the source of the problem.

-bob-

Robert W. Lutz  [BITNET: RL9721S@DRAKE]  [Telephone: 515-271-3919]
Director of Computing and Telecommunications
Drake University
Des Moines, IA 50311

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 06:42 PST
From: JOHN LOUCH <LOUCHA%CLARGRAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Boomeerang vs CMD Dialog

Boomerang (version Beat 7) seems to have difficulty with cmdr dialog. When these
two inits are used together sometimes buttons on dialogs do not operate.  I
find this a great difficulty since I use both of these frequently.  Is the
problem corrected in the new boomerang or ither something I can do!!!
        Please reply,  John Louch [Loucha@clargrad]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 12:26:22 PDT
From: oster%SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Cal 3.02 Clarifications

Here is some more information about common problems with Cal,
my network calendar.

1.) I intended Cal to be in three .hqx parts, so each part would
be short short enough to get by all the funky mailers people have.
Many sites are archiving it in two parts. You may have to go through
it with a text editor looking for the extra file header before you
de-binhex it.

2.) The year 2000 is a leap year. The year 1900 was not. The software
is correct, my initial posting's cover letter had a vagrant "not."

3.) Many people have had trouble connecting Cal to a folder. On
Cal's open dialog, look at the name in the pull down menu at the
top of the dialog box. This is the name Cal is using.

Many people look at the selected folder in the list of files and
folders. This is not the name Cal attaches to.

I wrote it this way, because some people (like me) use an entire
shared volume solely for Cal data. Volume names never appear in the
list of files and folders so you couldn't select a volume name if
Cal looked there. Volume names do appear in the pull down menu at
the top of the dialog box, which is where Cal looks.

> The mac is a detour in the inevitable march of mediocre computers.
> drs@bnlux0.bnl.gov (David R. Stampf)
--- David Phillip Oster          -master of the ad hoc odd hack.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 09:39:26 EDT
From: 89sgm@cs.williams.edu (Scott G.McGuire)
Subject: Changing file types in a Standard File dialog

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here.  I'm writing a program
in Lightspeed C (3.02 -- haven't upgraded yet), and I'm trying to use
a nonstandard Standard File Get box, actually I'm using the standard one
but I've added some radio buttons because I want to be able to choose between
opening several different file types.  Now, adding the radio buttons and
making my program acknowledge they've been hit works fine; but the problem
is I'm not sure how to change what file types the SFGet dialog displays
while in the middle of having the dialog on the screen -- in other words,
how do I change the filetypes the dialog will display (and then have it
redisplay them) from my hook routine, the one that SFGetFile calls after
it calls modal dialog.

The closest Inside Macintosh comes to helping is on p.IV-75 where it says
"to redisplay the file list in GetFile (which you might do if your dialog
box contains radio buttons that let you choose different file types to be
displayed), change item number 100 [the item modal dialog passes] into
item number 101 (which means redisplay the list) from within the dialog
hook."

However, it doesn't go about telling you how you might change what file
types GetFile is looking for from you dialog hook (you can't exactly
recall SFGetFile with a new typlist or filter procedure, can you?)
Thanks very much for any help,
					--Scott McGuire
					  Williams College
				internet: 89sgm@cs.williams.edu
				  bitnet: SMCGUIRE@WILLIAMS

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 15:09 EDT
From: Greg Smith <SMITH%BKNLVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Daylight Savings CDev/Init v1.1

This is Daylight Savings CDev/Init v1.1.  The major new feature in
this version is greater ease in configuration.  The CDev also supports
adjusting the time that the Mac's clock will be changed, basing the
date for the adjustment on any day of any week of any month or season,
as well as just plain picking a specific day of the month.  The new
configuration dialog should handle just about anybody's method of
Daylight Savings Time.  If it doesn't, write to me and I'll find a way
to handle your method.  A short MacWrite document is included, along
with a TeachText version of the same document.  Daylight Savings has
been tested using a Macintosh SE/30, Macintosh II, and Macintosh SE
on System 6.0.3.

+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Greg Smith                 | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet       |
| Systems Analyst            |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet        |
| Bucknell Computer Services | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu          |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@amethyst.bucknell.edu |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801              |
+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/daylight-savings-11.hqx; 37K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 11:16:21 edt
From: whg@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (William H. Greene)
Subject: Developing Mac Applications Under AUX

     I am disapointed that Apple provides a mechanism to "launch"
an application under AUX but no mechanism to CREATE a launchable
application under AUX. Yes, I know it is possible to build an
application in an AppleDouble file with a COFF data fork and then
run this under AUX. But is there any reason why one can't convert
the COFF binary to a CODE resource and build a launchable application ?
Has anyone developed a tool to do this ? Does Apple have any plans to
do this ? I'd be much obliged for any and all information on this
subject. Please email any replys since I don't subscribe to this newsgroup.
Thanks in advance.

                            Bill Greene

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 11:44:35 -0400
From: gwollman%jhuvms.dnet@ipgate.hcf.jhu.edu
Subject: Dumping PostScript files to a LaserWriter IINT (how?)

I would like to find a program, either shareware or PD, which can
take a raw PostScript file (probably with its own dictionarry) and dump
it to a netwoked (LocalTalk) LaserWriter.

Please send mail, as I am only a casual MacUser, and don't subscribe to
this list.  For the same reasons, please don't tell me about commercial
software, as I have neither the time, nor the funds, to put into this
enterprise.

-GAWollman
gwollman@{jhuvms,jhunix,jhuvm}.{bitnet,hcf.jhu.edu}
gwollman%jhuvms.dnet@ipgate.hcf.jhu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 09:31 CDT
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Educational discounts

I'm following up on Ron Rushing's article (a week or so ago).
In addition to Mr. Jacob's mail address, which Ron gave us:
  Chuck Jacob
  Apple Computer
  1550 M Street, NW  Suite 1000
  Washington, DC  20005
you may want to know his AppleLink address: JACOB2. I understand
that he is coordinating the efforts to oppose the planned bill.
According to a notice from Apple,
"[...] The following Congressmen in
the House of Representatives are the most active on the subject:

   J.J. Pickle (D-Tx)                  Richard T. Schulze (R-PA)
   Beryl F. Anthony, Jr. (D-AR)        Raymond J. McGrath (R-NY)
   Ronnie G. Flippo (D-Al)             Rod Chandler (R-WA)
   Byron L. Dorgan (D-ND)              E. Clay Shaw, Jr. (R-Fl)
   Harold E. Ford (D-TN)
   Charles B. Rangel (D-NY)
   Andrew Jacobs, Jr. (D-IN) [...]"

I guess Apple has a big stake in all this, because many students
and poor academic departments can afford Macs only thanks to the
discounts; without them, they would be forced to buy el-cheapo
PC clones, I guess. Let's not allow this to happen, people! I
have no illusions as to Apple's altruistic motivations, but I
think especially education should remain the "front-line" proving
ground where relative advantages of different new ideas are being
validated without overriding influence of other (monetary) factors.
         Eric [NBEHR@ECNCDC.BITNET]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 13:52:05 EST
From: Lee Brannon <CCREBEL%INDST.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Font Editor-HyperTalk- Needed/Wanted

Does anyone know of a good PD/Shareware Font editing package.  I want to
create my own fonts, but don't know where to start.  Short of a good
program... can you do it with resedit?

While I am at it.  Does anyone know of a good source for HyperTalk
scripting tips?  I have five books, but they are mostly used as
references.  I have looked at a couple of magazines, but they are mostly
HyuperTalk product reviews....not much scripting in them?

Please reply to             CCREBEL AT INDST     or    CCREBEL@INDVAX1

Thanks in advance and Happy Macing....

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 17:42:19 CDT
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: FullWrite fonts

Does anyone know how to make FullWrite handle older third-party fonts
properly? I use customized versions of Charles Maurer's Boston II but
when I first tried to compose in FullWrite the letters came out about
half an inch apart. I ran BostonII through Fontastic Plus's NFNT conversion
procedure and then changed the name to Boston and added the various sizes
to my system, keeping the old BostonII as well (so that older MacWrite
and WriteNow files wouldn't get confused - the NFNT conversion changes
the fond id number). This fixes most problems, but I still can't get
boldface mixed with plain or other styles to appear properly on the screen
or on the page.

Also, does anyone know a clever way - i.e. not the obvious brute force method -
of changing all footnotes in a FullWrite document to endnotes? Footnotes are
good for one's own printouts of early drafts to be shown to colleagues, but
journal editors want endnotes. Ann Arbor/Ashton Tate should have put automatic
conversion into their program (are you listening, designers of release 2?) but
didn't.

Graeme Forbes
Bitnet: pl0balf at tcsvm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 09:30 CDT
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HD problems

  My drive has been "cured" with the Quantum upgrade; I quote from the
technician's report: "...this firmware upgrade is designed to overcome
intermittent booting problems resulting from the buildup of moisture
in the actuator bearing lubricant." The drive now has no problem booting,
but there are other problems: at random intervals (about every 5 hours
on average) the heads start making very fast and quite loud clicking
sound (like a mini machine gun); this happens not only during idleness,
but also during diagnostic testing etc., and can last a minute or two
(it sometimes goes away when I, say, quit an application, making the
heads move, sometimes it doesn't). At the same time DiskTimer II figures
are way up from the usual values. I'm having trouble convincing the
people who sold me the drive that something is awry.

  Besides, I can't understand how a simple ROM change can help anything?
If the original problem was occurring at startup, i.e. after the drive
has been turned off, how can "exercising" the heads on Friday have much
of an effect at boot time on Monday? I mean the amount of extra activity
artificially introduced by the upgrade shouldn't be that significant
compared to ordinary head activity as to make a lot of difference over
a longer period of idleness? I don't get it. Moreover, aside from that
abnormal "chattering" which sometimes never happens during a single
session, I can't hear *any* effect of the upgrade - there's only the
very soft click of heads being parked now and then, something that was
always there...
                    Eric Behr [ NBEHR@ECNCDC.BITNET ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 17:35:36 +0100
From: sjt%ukc.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: Imagewriter spooler?

I am looking for a spooler for an Image Writer II used
with an SE/30 with 2 meg RA and a 40 meg internal disk.
Can anyone help with either proprietary software, shareware
or public-domain systems?

Thanks very much

Simon Thompson

Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, UK

sjt@ukc.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 14:12:40 EDT
From: jake@leah.albany.edu (Jake)
Subject: Locking Scripts

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but...

Is it possible to lock a script so that it can't be accessed?  For
instance, can you prevent someone from raising the userlevel to 5?  And,
once this has been successfully done, how can you then modify the
script.

Please e-mail replies directly to me, as I am not always able to read
the news.  Thank you in advance.

-Steve Jacobson				|
 - internet - 		- BITNET - 	| USnail:
jake@leah.albany.edu			|	171 N. Allen St. Apt 1
jake@rachel.albany.edu	JAKE@ALBNYVMS	|	Albany, N.Y. 12206
jake@uacsc2.albany.edu	JAKE@ALBNYVM1	|

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 17:00:12 PDT
From: Francois Felix INGRAND <felix@ai.sri.com>
Subject: Looking for an archive.

A long time ago, I remember playing with a "game" in which one was
able to illustrate the assist effect which is used to speed up a
satellite (Slingshot effect).

I am almost sure this game was coming from sumex... But archive, but I cannot
remember the name and I lost my copy. Any pointer?

Felix

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 12:32:03 PDT
From: luigi%homer.Berkeley.EDU@ginger.berkeley.edu (Luigi Semenzato)
Subject: low cost, high resolution HP B/W printers

I have some questions about low-cost, high quality output printers for
the Mac.  The most aggressive competitors seem to be the HP Deskjet,
which has a Macintosh-specific version (the DeskWriter) and sells
discounted for about $800 (M.A.C. in Berkeley), and the new HP
Laserjet II ($1495 list, $1200 discounted).

The DeskWriter is based on inkjet technology, it prints about 2 pages
a minute, it has a resolution of 300dpi (!), it requires special paper
for optimal results but results on regular paper are quite acceptable.
I think it has a few built-in fonts, basically those that were
available on the original Apple Laserwriter (Courier, Helvetica, Times
and Symbol).

The HP Laserjet II has a laser engine, and that's all I know.  I also
heard a rumor that HP will soon market a Macintosh version of the
Laserjet II.  Ah, I am also positive that neither of them understands
Postscript.

Does anybody have any experience with either printer?  I am more
interested in compatibility than quality/reliability, which I assume
should be quite good.  Why do they have these ``Macintosh-specific''
models?  Can the Mac use the non-Mac models? Can fonts other than the
built-in ones be downloaded?  (The most recent model of the Deskjet
has a slot for cartridges for additional fonts: the Deskwriter
doesn't).

Thanks for any help.
Luigi Semenzato (luigi@ernie.berkeley.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 20 Oct 89 12:47:23 EDT
From: Roger.Dannenberg@bartok.music.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: MacRecorder vs. Think C  or Allegro CL

I want to play a SND from MacRecorder using Allegro CL.  Has anyone
done this, either with Allegro or Think C (or for that matter with
MPW C)?  I typed in the example in the Sound Manager document but
it crashed the Mac.  I called the MacRecorder people, but they have
no software support below the applications level.  I succeeded in
using the lower level Sound Driver, but Apple doesn't promise to
support it and the Sound Manager interface is more complete than
what I've put together.  Please reply to me by email -- I'll post
a summary if there is any interest.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 14:07 N
From: NIKE%IMICLVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: More on DAs being locked under Multifinder

        I happenede to have my DAs locked with plenty of free memory
The problem turned out to be that the DA Handler had changed size, being
increased of about 150% its original size.  Re-installing the DA
Handler from the distribution disks cured the problem, and it
never happened again.
I wonder if this could be related to the enlarged system file
problems some people have been talking about lately.  Anybody has
any technical comment on this?

        Matteo Vaccari, NIKE@IMICLVX.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 14:02:21 EST
From: Lee Brannon <CCREBEL%INDST.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mouse problem with 6.0.1 and MacPlus

I am a Computing Consultant for Indiana State University and have so far
seen a bug on three different Mac Plus machines... The bug occurs when
System 6.0.1? is put on a MacPlus.  Although the Control Panel will act
normally when you change the mouse tracking it stays in its original
setting.  This can be a problem if it is set on slow/tablet and you
are using a mouse.  The only way that I have been able to fix these
settings is to copy a mouse file from another system and reinstall. This
puts the setting where I want it, but does not allow changes.

I figure someone else has probably already written about this, but I haven't
seen anything in back issues of the digest.

Help will greatly be appreciated.... Thank you

CCREBEL@INDST
Lee Brannon                       Mac enthusiast/evangelist/user

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 09:45:43 EDT
From: Denis Beauchemin <IN10%UDESVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Searching for a font

Hi everybody,

Someone here (that doesn't have access to the net) is looking for a font
that represents the phonetics alphabet.  Please let me know if such a font
does exist.  I looked through the MacServe font list without success, but
maybe the font doesn't have a very descriptive name.

          --> Denis Beauchemin, Analyste
              Departement de mathematiques
              et d'informatique
              Universite de Sherbrooke

          --> IN10@UDESVM.BITNET
              (819) 821-7022

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 89 11:02:37 PDT
From: oster%SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: spurious update EVENTS??

The macintosh keeps on reposting update events until you specifically
tell it that you've handled the event. Unlike other events, GetNextEvent()
doesn't do it. If you get an update event, you need something like:
if(GetNextEvent(everyEvent, &myEvent)){
	switch(myEvent.what){
	case updateEvt:
		GetPort(&savePort);
		SetPort((GrafPtr) myEvent.message);
		BeginUpdate(thePort);/* must call this to get rid of update */
		mydrawprocedure(thePort);
		EndUpdate(thePort);
		SetPort(savePort);
		break;

Many programs that use dialogs have the following error: you are looking
at a dialog. You type something incorrect, such as "three" where "3" was
expected. You get an error message. The error message extends past the
border of the dialog, so the application window underneath is partially
obscured. You dismiss the error message. The application's window will
keep sending updateEvts, and never any nullEvents. This can make text
cursors stop blinking and mouse cursors stop changing state. The solution
is to always keep your error dialogs over the dialog they refer to
(SFPutFile/SFGetfile and the printer drivers use this technique) or to
provide a filter function to modal dialog that can update application
windows if necessary.

	I prefer the latter, but it does mean that you have
to keep the segments that handle application updates around, so your
application's minimal working set is larger than it might be, and if you
use in-memory data, the limits on what you can work with are smaller than
they might be.

Date: Sat 21 Oct 89 00:44:31-PDT
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@hamlet.stanford.edu>
Subject: Update vs null events

I ca't mail direct to isstth%nusm.bitnet@forsythe.Stanford.EDU, so I'm
posting this here:

It sounds like you're writing "update" when you get an update event.
Depending on how you're doing this, it might be causing another update
event, which writes "update," causes another update event, and so on,
forever.  Try another way of indicating update events, like SysBeep.

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 89 09:18:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert George Johnston, Jr." <rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: WindowShade

    Until now I haven't heard of Dragger. WindowShade 1.1 is holding for
some
of my testers to let me know that it works right. If somebody could tell
me
where to get Dragger (by Oliver Steele), I could look into the
incompatibility.

    Rob Johnston.

End of Info-Mac Digest