Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/28/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 27 Oct 89       Volume 7 : Issue 187

Today's Topics:
                        24 pin printer drivers
                          Adobe Type Manager
               Availability of Jasmine DriveWare 1.4 ?
                            Black Box 1.2
                              Boomerang
                      Boomerang and CMDR DIalog
 But I DON'T want the outline font defs. to be in my Postscript file!
        Changing file types in a Standard File dialog (2 msgs)
                      Ethernet-via-SCSI (cont'd)
                          gcc-1.35 for A/UX
                       Help with PRAM problems
                           HyperTalk answer
                      II in a Mac - IIe Emulator
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #184
                            Mac II TCP/IP
                MacRecorder vs. Think C  or Allegro CL
                            MacWelcome 1.4
                           Random numbers.
                         Searching for a font
                          SIMM size & speed
               Support for serial (daisy wheel) printer
                         Surge suppressors...
                          THINK Pascal Bug?
                         WindowShade Warning

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 12:54:12 MDT
From: tjf%alpha@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish)
Subject: 24 pin printer drivers

  I am runninf the AMAX Mac emulater from my amiga 2000.  I need
to find a decent 24-pin printer driver for Mac that will work with
Word 4.0.  The LQ24 driver compresses the output about 20% horizontally
and lengthens the document accordingly.  A call to the AMAX people produced
the reply "The Mac-supplied 24 pin drivers are lousy.  Get a third party
driver and you will get good results."  The name I got from them has
gone out of business.  Any help will be appreciated.  BTW I use a Mac II
at work and the LQ24 driver does not work from WORD 4.0 with a Panasonic 1124.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 16:14:23 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Adobe Type Manager

Someone recently blasted the Adobe Type Manager, so I felt obligated to
comment on it myself since I have been checking it out.

First of all, ATM is a control panel document that gives you outline fonts
pretty much invisibly in most applications.  You simply throw a mess of files
into the System folder, define a cache size, and reboot.

ATM costs $99 list and comes with only four fonts (in 13 faces).  These are
the familiar Times, Helvetica, Courier, and Symbol in bold, italic, and
bold-Italic. You can buy the rest of the Laserwriter Plus font family for
another $200 list.  In addition, any Adobe downloadable fonts that you are
currently using become outline screen and Imagewriter fonts.  All of a sudden
your Imagewriter output looks like more and more like a Laserwriter.

I've been using ATM on my II and SE/30 and it's definately slower so I suspect
that it might be intolerably slow on a Plus.  It is very useable here though
and I like the ability to display arbitrary sizes in ther proper resolution.
The best part is that it gives you real italics, real bold, and real
shadowing!  No more of that slanted text or bogus shadowing (except on
bitmapped fonts)!

Some simple tests indicate that it is still worthwhile to keep as many
typefaces lying around as you can afford because they reduce the rendering
delay and don't flush your cache.  Printing with MacWrite II on the
Imagewriter II produces very nice output.  Faster quality is still 72dpi
doubled but Best quality produces very clean 144dpi text.  Much better than I
have ever seen before on an imagewriter. MacDraw II also produces much better
text output, although the rotated text still sucks on anything besides a
Laserwriter.  I haven't tried very many other programs on the Imagewriter but
just about everything I use regularly uses the fonts fine on the screen.
Hypercard will probably use the outlines for fields but not for pictures (as
they will have been converted to bitmaps, but bitmaps of the proper screen
resolution).

All in all, Adobe Type Manager produces what it promised.  It never claimed to
handle fonts from other vendors.  It handles only Type 1 Adobe fonts.  It only
comes with the 13 faces of the original four fonts.  The full Laserwriter Plus
font set costs extra.  Anyone reading anything about it should have seen that.
All the Adobe downloadable fonts seem to work fine with ATM.  That's a great
bonus in my book.  The main advantage is the increased resolution for
non-postscript printers (Imagewriters, Laserwriter IISC, HP DeskWriter, etc).
If you are only using it for increased screen resolution then it is a quite
pricey and slow for the function.  It is definately a step in the right
direction and it is here now, unlike system 7.

Jon

N         L                  pugh@ccc.nmfecc.gov
 M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                    Livermore, California 94550
     C                         (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 1989 21:03:33 EST
From: Kurtis.MacFerrin@slsvax.harvard.edu
Subject: Availability of Jasmine DriveWare 1.4 ?

Date sent:  25-OCT-1989 21:02:23

I read recently that Jasmine DriveWare v. 1.4 was available on CompuServe--
could someone submit it to the sumex-aim archives please?
Thanks.
Kurtis MacFerrin  MACFERRIN@SLSVAX.HARVARD.EDU (Internet) or @HUCHE1 (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  7 Oct 89  22:19:01 MDT
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Black Box 1.2

Black Box 1.2 is an INIT that you put in your System Folder which gives
your Macintosh several much needed features.  First, it gives you a Task
Strip, (similar to the NeXT computer's Application Dock) to which you
can add the icons of your frequently used applications and DAs.  Then,
to launch an application, (whether in another program or not, with or
without MultiFinder) you just click on its icon on the strip.  Similar
to On Cue, but with a better interface.  Other features are a perpetual
analog/digital clock, a stars screen saver, smart quotes, screen
capture/printing any portion of the screen when menus are down and in
color, your Undo, Cut, Copy and Paste function keys on the Apple Extended
Keyboard will work, you can answer dialogs from the keyboard, etc.
Shareware (written by Andrew Welch of Mark /// Software).  Enjoy!

Eric L. Peters
Dept. of Radiology and Radiation Biology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[Archived as /info-mac/init/black-box-12.hqx; 71K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 09:12:31 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Boomerang

With the last posting of Bomerang, the documentation of this wonderfull init is
no more available from the archives. Can someone send me a copy, or send a copy
 of such to SUMEX. Thanks.

******************************************                     **
* JEAN BRUNET                            *    QQQ QQQ QQQ   --------
* DEPT. DES COMMUNICATIONS               *   QQQ QQQ QQQ    NETNORTH
* UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL (UQAM) *  QQQ QQQ QQQ      BITNET
* C.P. 8888, SUCC. 'A', MONTREAL, QC.    *         QQQ   --------------
* CANADA, H3C 3P8                        *        QQQ  R31631@UQAM.BITNET
* TEL: (514) 282-4897                    *       QQQ   ------------------
******************************************             ******************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 10:44:42 PDT
From: hayp04@csa3.lbl.gov
Subject: Boomerang and CMDR DIalog

John Louch posted a message about the incompatibility of Boomerang with
CMDR Dialog.  I have not tested the compatibility of Boomerang 2.0B7,
but Boomerang 2.0B82, which is in the archive, is compatible with
Cmdr Dialog 1.0.1.  I got a report that 2.0B82 did have a problem
with Cmdr Dialog 1.0, but that the problem disappeared after switching
to Cmdr Dialog 1.0.1 (or something like that).

Hiroaki Yamamoto (author of Boomerang)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 19:01 EDT
From: KSBOLDUAN%AMHERST.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: But I DON'T want the outline font defs. to be in my Postscript file!

I just recently got the new Adobe Type Manager from Adobe. Despite
an earlier review on this Net, I think it will work out great! For
"draft" quality output on an ImageWriter it can't be beat and being able
to see the fonts on the screen without the "jaggies" is incredible!
Admittedly there are some serious drawbacks including speed and the
limitation to Type 1 fonts. But I have another problem...

All my Postscript output is down on a PrintServer 40 hooked up to our Vax.
Consequently, I have to create the Postscript file, download it to the
Vax, and then dump it to the printer. The problem is the Type 1 fonts.
Because of the way they are encoded, you can't send a Postscript file
that contains them as an ASCII file (lines > 255 chars) and our printer
can be coerced to print from a binary file but it is a real pain. Our
solution was to have the fonts stored on the Vax and called up by the
printer when asked for them by the file. (Actually, you need to tell
the Vax and printer which fonts your file contains.) This allows me
to generate the Postscript file WITHOUT having the fonts in my System
folder so that they do not become part of my file. Not only does this
make the file smaller (because it doesn't have the Adobe defs) but
it eliminates the problem of downloading it to the Vax.

Enter ATM. I think this is great, but I have to have the fonts in my
system folder in order to get the nice screen output. But when I create
the Postscript file, I don't want the font definitions in there. Unfortunately,
the fonts can't be in and out of the system folder at the same time. Hence
the problem.

PageMaker allows you to get around this problem by allowing you to choose
whether or not the Postscript fonts should be put into the file. A very
nice feature, but PM seems to be unique in this respect. Does anybody
have any ideas? My only possible solution would be to somehow alter
the Laserwriter file (probably with ResEdit) to tell it NOT to include
the font definitions even though they're sitting in my system folder. However,
I have no idea where to look with ResEdit or even if this can be done.

I hope that I've been clear in my explanation of the problem. Basically: ATM
needs the outline font info in the system folder, but I don't want it there
when I'm creating the Postscript file. I'll be happy to summarize to
the Net any and all responses I get to my query. Thanks for reading this
rather long message.

Kevin Bolduan '91 Amherst College
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet address

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 02:43:45 PDT
From: oster%SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Changing file types in a Standard File dialog

The trick is to use a list that is the union of all the types you can
expect, but to filter out all the ones you don't want to show right now.
For example the following code fragment will show only TEXT files, or
only 'puAB' files dpeending on whether the variable importType == IMDOCI
or not:
OSType importTypes[] = { 'puAB', 'TEXT'};
short importType = IMDOCI;

/* ImportHook - return TRUE to exclude file
 */
pascal Boolean ImportHook(p)FileParam *p;{
	return (p->ioFlFndrInfo.fdType == 'TEXT') == (IMDOCI == importType);
}

	SFGetFile(&where,
		(StringPtr) "",
		(ProcPtr) ImportHook,
		sizeof(importTypes)/sizeof(OSType),
		(SFTypeList *) importTypes,
		(ProcPtr) ImportFilter,
		&reply);

where importFilter is a procedure that interprets the radio buttons,
and sets importType.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 07:03:10 PDT
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here.  I'm writing a program
>in Lightspeed C (3.02 -- haven't upgraded yet), and I'm trying to use
>a nonstandard Standard File Get box, actually I'm using the standard one
>but I've added some radio buttons because I want to be able to choose between
>opening several different file types.  Now, adding the radio buttons and
>making my program acknowledge they've been hit works fine; but the problem
>is I'm not sure how to change what file types the SFGet dialog displays
>while in the middle of having the dialog on the screen -- in other words,
>how do I change the filetypes the dialog will display (and then have it
>redisplay them) from my hook routine, the one that SFGetFile calls after
>it calls modal dialog.

Here is yet another example where the Tech Notes and DTS Sample Code are
needed at least as much as the information in IM.  SC18 covers examples of
Standard File in great detail.  Tech Note 47 also contains an example almost
identical to what you're requesting.
--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 89   11:38 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Ethernet-via-SCSI (cont'd)

Date: 25 October 1989, 11:32:11 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: Ethernet-via-SCSI (cont'd)

I forget who wanted this, but...

The 17 October 1989 issue of MacWEEK has a review of two products which connect
an SCSI-equipped Mac into Ethernet networks:  Nodem from Adaptec, and Ether+
>From Compatible Systems.  I don't know why they didn't bother to review the
Kinetics EtherSC along with the other two, except that it's been around for a
while.  The did do a few "benchmarks" against Kinetics' EtherPort NuBus adapter
card.

The review is on page 58.  Earlier poster was right; Adaptec's Nodem ads had
a DB25F on a banana as an attention-grabber.

Ted

Theodore A. Morris, U. of Cincinnati|W513-558-6046 H731-3451 AppleLink: U1091
Med Ctr Information & Communications|Bitnet: WMLBTAM @ UCCCVM1    NTS: WB8VNV
231 Bethesda Ave., Mail Location 574|=========================================
Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574          |"Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 11:28:05 +0100
From: Alan <gas%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: gcc-1.35 for A/UX

I've recently got the sources for this from the apple.com ftp server, but
I'm not able to compile it.  The first problem occurred in tm-aux.h since
cc doesn't recognise '#error'.  According to the makefile, cc is needed for
gnulib compilation and so it can't be changed to gcc.  This was fixed by
insrting a space at the beginning of the line.

The problem which I've not been able to fix is an assembly error compiling
gcc.  The output is as follows :

 make CC='gcc -v'
        gcc -v -g  -DAUX_ASM -I./config
          -DSTANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX=\"/usr/local/lib/\"
          -DSTANDARD_EXEC_PREFIX=\"/usr/local/lib/gcc-\" -c gcc.c
gcc version 1.35
 /usr/local/lib/gcc-cpp -v -DAUX_ASM -DSTANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX="/usr/local/lib
/" -DSTANDARD_EXEC_PREFIX="/usr/local/lib/gcc-" -I./config -undef -D__GNUC__ -Dm
c68k32 -Dunix -Dm68k -D__mc68k32__ -D__unix__ -D__m68k__ -D__HAVE_68881__ -D__AU
X_ASM__ gcc.c /tmp/cca00944.cpp
GNU CPP version 1.35
 /usr/local/lib/gcc-cc1 /tmp/cca00944.cpp -quiet -dumpbase gcc.c -g -version -o
/tmp/cca00944.s
GNU C version 1.35 (68k, SGS/A/UX syntax) compiled by GNU C version 1.35.
 /usr/local/lib/gcc-as -o gcc.o /tmp/cca00944.s
Assembler: /tmp/cca00944.s
        aline 381(cline 348): Unbalanced Symbol Table Entries-Too Many Scope Beg
innings
*** Error code 1

usr/local/lib/gcc-as is in reality a link to /usr/local/big/as.  Can you
offer any advice ?

Alan Shepherd (gas@uk.ac.nott.cs)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 14:39 EDT
From: John Chapman <KE2Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Help with PRAM problems

Hello,

     I'm wondering whether anyone out there has ever seen or heard of an INIT
that will load (force) the PRAM settings to a default to be specified in the
file on disk.  We are running off an AppleShare fileserver at the facility where
I work and lend out several boot disks for classes and public use.

     However, people frequently change the Control Panel settings to their own
preferences, which has caused many problems in the past for people booting off
of our network disks (e.g. RAM Cache set ON to 384K on 1-meg SEs or AppleTalk
turned off).

     If anyone has any suggestions, these are also welcome.  I am willing to
hack together an INIT if nothing has been written, but I need to know some info,
first - specifically, how Apple is storing the info in the PRAM these days and
if there are any conflicts loading the PRAM at startup might cause.  Hints on
programming INITs are also welcome as I am fairly new at that.
(I generally program in THINK Pascal 2.0)

     Please reply by e-mail, as I sometimes miss articles here.

Thanks in advance,

][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][
]     Internet:                 John T. Chapman                 Bitnet:        [
] ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu                              ke2y@crnlvax5.bitnet  [
]                                                        ke2y@cornella.bitnet  [
] ***DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed herein are exclusively my own and     [
]                 do not necessarily reflect those of the University.          [
][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 08:05:28 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: HyperTalk answer

To get the number of buttons on a card, simply use the expression:
(number of buttons) or (number of card buttons).  For background buttons, use:
(number of background buttons).  The same thing works for fields, except that
the default is background, so (number of fields) and (number of background
fields) would refer to background fields, and (number of card fields) would
refer to card fields.

I cut and pasted the script as you listed it into a button and it worked
fine.

I've only tested this with HyperCard 1.2.2.

* BRUCE A. CARTER                              OFFICE:  (208) 385-1250 *
** COURSEWARE DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR        MESSAGE:  (208) 385-1433 **
*** BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY, 1910 UNIVERSITY DRIVE, BOISE, ID   83725 ***
** BITNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU          INTERNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU **
* APPLELINK: U0919        CIS: 76666,511       PLATO: CARTER/IDAHO/PCA *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 13:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ross Ward Comer <rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: II in a Mac - IIe Emulator

Does anyone have any info on Apple II emulators for the Mac?
Specifically:

1.  How compatible are they with an Apple II?  Does everything work?

2.  What are the speed differences (specifically on an SE/30).

Thanks,

Ross Comer
rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 20:54:04 EDT
From: Mike Fessler <ST801723%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #184

As of last month, Jasmine was still shipping SUM II and 15 megs of shareware,
PD and Demoware with their larger hard drives (excluding the 20 meg, I believe)
.  I've been quite happy with their 40 meg DirectDrive, especially with the new
discount pricing! ($599 plus shipping).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 14:32:26 EDT
From: David Rubin <RUBIN@graf.poly.edu>
Subject: Mac II TCP/IP

I have a user who is interested in using his Mac II-cx for remote logon,
file transfer, and e-mail (i.e. TELNET, FTP, and SMTP).  The standard
TCP/IP package for the Mac II seems to be NCSA-Telnet.  I would like
to know if this software supports all these functions, or just some
subset.  If it does not support all functions, is there some alternate
software available that will support all of them?

The optimum situation for this user would be to have SMTP running
simultaneously with other applications, in the background.

Any information would be appreciated.  Please respond via E-mail.
--
David Rubin                        |     INTERNET: RUBIN@graf.poly.edu
Polytechnic University             |       BITNET: RUBIN@POLYGRAF

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 14:07:39 +0100
From: borton@fwi.uva.nl
Subject: MacRecorder vs. Think C  or Allegro CL

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I want to play a SND from MacRecorder using Allegro CL.  Has anyone
>done this, either with Allegro or Think C (or for that matter with
>MPW C)?  I typed in the example in the Sound Manager document but
>it crashed the Mac.  I called the MacRecorder people, but they have
>no software support below the applications level.  I succeeded in
>using the lower level Sound Driver, but Apple doesn't promise to
>support it and the Sound Manager interface is more complete than
>what I've put together.  Please reply to me by email -- I'll post
>a summary if there is any interest.

Well hey, I did this just last night:

mySndHndl = GetResource('snd ',SND_ID);
AssertHndl(mySndHndl);
PlaySnd(NIL,mySndHndl,FALSE);

That'll play it.  Doing it asynchronously is more complicated...

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton@fwi.uva.nl
Mac Developer & AppleTalk Network Administrator, University of Amsterdam CS

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  7 Oct 89  22:33:00 MDT
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MacWelcome 1.4

MacWelcome is a utility which allows you to display a message of up to
100 lines to the user.  Useful when many or inexperienced people are using
a Mac.  Version 1.4a now formats your messages automatically, so you can
use the same message file without worrying about screen sizes.  Freeware.

Eric L. Peters
Dept. of Radiology and Radiation Biology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[Archived as /info-mac/init/macwelcome-14.hqx; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 02:34:57 PDT
From: oster%SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Random numbers.

If you don't like Quickdraw's Random() function, SANE includes one that
returns a random number in the range 0.0 to 1.0. From THINK C, you say:
#include <sane.h>
	double	f;

	elems68k(&f, FORAND);

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 11:21:28 EDT
From: Dave Elbon <SYSDAVE@ukcc.uky.edu>
Subject: Searching for a font

NeoScribe International sells an International Phonetic Alphabet font
called LaserPerfect Phonetique.  I have the following address for them:

   NeoScribe International
   188 Cosey Beach av/PO Box 633
   East Haven, CT 06512
   Phone 203/467-9880

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 89   11:32 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SIMM size & speed

Date: 25 October 1989, 11:16:41 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: SIMM size & speed

I'm going to check the Digest from a few months ago about "best" 3rd party
sources for SIMMS, but

For a Mac IIx or IIcx, do I have any size or speed restrictions?  I think on
a IIci you have to be careful about the size, and need to get 80ns speed,
because of the amount of room in the 'ci and because of its higher processor
speed.  But for the IIcx and IIx, how fast is fast enough?  Are surface-
mounts required or only desirable?

Thanks for any replies direct...

Ted