Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/31/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 30 Oct 89       Volume 7 : Issue 189

Today's Topics:
                           'copyfile' xcmd
                       3D graphing applications
                            Black Box 1.2
                             Boyer-Moore
                      Finder Icons and Excel 2.2
                          FTP for macintosh
                            HyperAppleTalk
                              Image 1.19
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #186
                  Info-Mac Digest Volume 7 Issue 186
                            Inside Mac DA
              low cost, high resolution HP B/W printers
                            macintosh logo
                                MacIP
              New programmer problems with Think Pascal
                  ODA translators (WP <-> ODA/ODIF)
                Problem: static data and Lightspeed C
                       Roland 1012 and Grappler
        We Be Ill-ing to Slides (Illustrator--> Film Recorder)

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 06:35:54 EDT
From: David_Detlefsen@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: 'copyfile' xcmd

I have recently got a hold of the 'copyfile' xcmd but didn't
get any information on usage syntax.  Could somebody point
me in the right direction.  Also, I am looking for an external
that would delete a file (stack) that would not require user
intervention.

Thanks
David Detlefsen
Department of Chemistry
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor  48109

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 19:57:56 EDT
From: Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: 3D graphing applications

I am still having trouble finding an application that will print 3D graphs
(publication quality).  We need hidden line capabilities as well as the
ability to overlay a grid on top of the data.  Surely there is such a
beast for the Macintosh!  (Isn't there?).  We aren't interested in callable
routines but in a polished, finished, professional product.  Please, help
us!  Respond to me directly or to info-mac, whichever is more convenient.
I will summarize if I get some good information.

  |   Michael Webb                   University of Michigan Physics Dept. |
  |                                  1038 Randall Laboratory              |
  |   Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu   Ann Arbor, MI  48109                 |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 21:15 EDT
From: alan ruttenberg <alanr@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Black Box 1.2

    Date: Sat,  7 Oct 89  22:19:01 MDT
    From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu

    Black Box 1.2 is an INIT that you put in your System Folder which gives
    your Macintosh several much needed features.  ... smart quotes

Constructive suggestion. When packaging together a buck of utilities
like this, it is useful to have a control panel device which enables
stuff to be turned on and off.  For instance, I would really like this
INIT, except that I program in lisp and the smartquotes messes me up
(' and " are more than textual characters in lisp, and can't be substituted
with something else. Isn't the same thing true in C. Or do the C
compilers recognize all versions as the same?

This comment is relevent for CMDR dialog as well, which does the same thing.

-alan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 20:34 MDT
From: Reitman%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Boyer-Moore

I am looking for a C version of the Boyer-Moore search algorithm.  I saw
one that was associated with NASA and being passed around a few years
ago.  Any help would be appreciated.  Mark Reitman

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 15:24 EDT
From: John Payne <PAYNE%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Finder Icons and Excel 2.2

Hello-

When I installed Excel 2.2, the icons displayed by the Finder
for old Excel 1.5 worksheets, help file, etc turned into the
vanilla "document" icons.  I reloaded Excel 1.5 as a test and
the 1.5 icons returned to familiar form but the 2.2-related icons
turned into vanilla "document" icons.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  I know the Finder keeps
track of icons and applications in the desktop file, but I'm
still confused.  Is there a way of having the Finder display
Excel 1.5 files with meaningful icons after you upgrade to
Excel 2.2?  Am I missing something?  Thanks for any hints.

John Payne

Academic Systems Coordinator       payne@ithaca.bitnet
Academic Computing Services        payne%ithaca.bitnet@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY 14850

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 13:17:34 CDT
From: "Bob B. Funchess" <S090726@umrvma.umr.edu>
Subject: FTP for macintosh

We will in the near future be linking some Macs to our campus ethernet
backbone through a Cayman Gatorbox.  We do NOT want to use A/UX, since
that defeats the whole reason for using Macintoshes (we'd get Suns if we
wanted to deal with Unix).  However, FTP access to the internet would be nice.
NSCA Telnet provides for FTP access of a kind, but apparently one has to be
logged in to the remote machine.  Is there a program that allows me to do
ANONYMOUS FTP by launching an application from the Finder?  Probably I should
rephrase that: is there a cheap/free program etc., possibly even in the
info-mac archives?

                             < Bob : S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU : Funchess >

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 11:34:29 EST
From: bkgoodman@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: HyperAppleTalk

   I just got got started fooling around with the HyperAppleTalk
   toolkit.  I would  like to develop something useful  with it,
   that would  be compatable with  existing  AppleTalk protocals
   and standards for doing thing. (For  lack of  a better way to
   phrase it, be compatable with current Appleshare  Server, and
   network printer protocals.) Does anyone have any  idea  how I
   could find out how these communicate? I would like to open up
   a HyperCard  /  HyperAppleTalk  program  to be  able to  do a
   little more than to just deal with other Hypercard  programs,
   like to  write  a  printer  spooler,  or  a  file  server  or
   something like that with it. Can  anyone offer  me any  help?
   I hope I am making sense.

					Thanx

					Brad Goodman
					bkgoodman@lynx.northeastern.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 12:33:15 -0400
From: wayne@alw.nih.gov (wayne rasband)
Subject: Image 1.19

Image 1.19 is a public domain program for the Macintosh II for
doing digital image processing and analysis. It can acquire,
enhance, measure, edit, animate, print and pseudocolor images.  It
reads and writes TIFF and PICT files and supports many standard
image processing functions, including histogram equalization,
contrast enhancement, density profiling, smoothing, sharpening,
edge detection, and noise reduction.

It can be used to measure lengths and x-y coordinates, and compute
the mean density and area of user defined regions of interest.
Length and area measurements results can be calibrated to provide
real world values.

It provides MacPaint-like editing of color and grayscale images,
including the ability to draw lines, rectangles, ovals and text.
It can flip, rotate, invert and scale selections. It supports
multiple windows and 8 levels of magnification. All editing,
filtering, and measurement functions operate at any level of
magnification and are undoable. It uses digital halftoning to
print images on PostScript printers.

It supports either the Data Translation QuickCapture card or Scion
Image Capture 2 card for digitizing images using a TV camera.
Acquired images can be shading corrected and frame averaged.

For full operation, Image requires a Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIcx
with at least 2 megabytes of memory, but 4 megabytes, or more, is
recommended for doing animation, for simultaneously displaying
more than a handful of pictures, or for running under MultiFinder.
Image also requires an 8-bit video card capable of displaying 256
colors or shades of gray.

A 44 page manual in MacWrite format, a HyperCard reference stack,
and Lightspeed Pascal source code are available.

Version 1.19 feature 32-bit QuickDraw(and IIci) compatibility and
Tile/Stack Windows, Open All, and Skeletonize commands.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/image-119.hqx; 168K
             /info-mac/app/image-119-docs.hqx; 180K
             /info-mac/source/pascal/image-119-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/source/pascal/image-119-part2.hqx; 124K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 14:35:37 EDT
From: joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #186

Kevin,

Could you possibly have more than one system file on your Hard disk?
You might be making changes to one, while the other one is being run.
That might explain your problem.   Use the Find File desk accessory to
look for all occurances of SYSTEM.   There should be only one file
named system on your hard disk.

Seymour

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 19:22:01 BST
From: CYK10%PHOENIX.CAMBRIDGE.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest Volume 7 Issue 186

In Vol 87 Issue 186, Kevin Bolduan wrote:
>  Is there a way to convert FONT resources to the new NFNT resource, or
>  do they have to be created that way?

Yes, you *can* convert FONTs into NFNTs!  As far as I know, there's Font
Harmony, which comes with Suitcase II (itself an indispensible "utility"), and
N-Font 1.01, which is from Olduvai (them of Read-It! fame).  The latter is
free, and basically promotes some of their other products.  From my experience,
both of these work fine, except that the way of choosing which suitcase you
want to convert using Font Harmony is rather convoluted.

Hope this helps!

Chong Yee Khoo
Queens College
University of Cambridge
CYK10@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
(JANET)

Disclaimer:  I'm a zoologist, so am not of sound mind.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 16:30:21 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Inside Mac DA

You may remember that I recently lost my hard disk.  Then again, you may not.
Regardless, being a true backup bozo, I had no recent image of my HD.
However, I did have all the data in a pile of floppies and some 45 Meg
cartriges and even on a friend's disk. The scariest part is that this sort of
backup system works!  I lost no files.

Well, to make a short story shorter, I tried to recover the Inside Mac DA from
Sumex only to find that it wasn't what I had been using.  So, after finding
all the pieces (which were scattered farther than any Galilean plutonium ever
will be) I have bundled them all here as an update.  Included is the most
recent DA (version 1.2), the most comprehensive manual (including some
additions and corrections I have made) and its index, a miniature manual for
floppy users, and all the tools necessary to modify the manuals and index
yourself. There is even documentation.

It's pretty simple to use, just toss the files Manual and MMIndex into your
System Folder and use your favorite technique to install the DA.  You will be
in business.   If you want to use the small manual, rename it to Manual, use
the enclosed index program to build a new MMIndex and toss these in your
System Folder.  Modifications to the manuals are handled accordingly.  The
Manuals are straight TEXT files.

This posting replaces all parts of da/macman.hqx, fkey/inside-mac-da.hqx, and
da/inside-mac-manual.hqx.

Share and enjoy...

Jon

N         L                  pugh@ccc.nmfecc.gov
 M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                    Livermore, California 94550
     C                         (415) 423-4239

[Archived as /info-mac/da/inside-mac-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/da/inside-mac-part2.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/da/inside-mac-part3.hqx; 124K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 13:06:26 PDT
From: khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw)
Subject: low cost, high resolution HP B/W printers

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I have some questions about low-cost, high quality output printers for
>the Mac.  The most aggressive competitors seem to be the HP Deskjet,
>which has a Macintosh-specific version (the DeskWriter) and sells
>discounted for about $800 (M.A.C. in Berkeley), and the new HP
>Laserjet II ($1495 list, $1200 discounted).

You can use the DeskJet or DeskJet Plus with a Mac if you get a 3rd
party printer driver (Orange Micro Grappler LS, DataPak Printer Driver
III, mumble MacPrint, GDT Softworks JetLink).  The Deskwriter is
similar to the DeskJet Plus, but comes with a printer driver that HP
OEMs from mumble, and is supposedly optimized for printing graphics
(which is what it gets from the Mac's printer driver).  The DeskJet
and DeskJet Plus either need 4x oversized versions of fonts that you
want to be able to print, or if you use Adobe Type Manager or Jetlink,
you can use outline fonts (rather than bitmap fonts).  MacPrint lets
you use fonts from HP font cartridges:  it has some way of "uploading"
these fonts and generating screen bitmap versions.

I use a DeskJet + Grappler LS with my SE.  Grappler LS comes with a
print spooler and 3 sets of fonts:  Courier, Dutch (Times workalike)
and Swiss (Helvetica workalike).  I print documents all the time with
Dutch font on plain copier paper and get excellent results.

The DeskJet is a little slow, but for the price it beats just about
any dot-matrix printer that you could use with a Mac.  Previous postings
on the net indicate that the DeskWriter is the fastest of the 3 on
a Mac, but that printing is CPU-limited on Pluses and SEs, and only
just begins to be limited by printer speed on II-series machines, and
only on very simple documents (ones with almost no black?).

Mike Khaw
--
ParcPlace Systems, 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043	415/691-6749
Domain=khaw@parcplace.com, UUCP={uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!khaw

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 19:03:58 pdt
From: burke%pepvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: macintosh logo

Dear InfoMac Peoples,

I am interested in finding out information about any Logo
intepreters for the Macintosh.  I am currently taking a
class and we use are using LCSI Logo II on the Apple IIe.
I would like to be able to use my Mac at home to work on
the class projects and then be able to transfer the Logo
code to the Apple and use it in class.  I have transfer
capibility at work so that is not a problem, what is
important is compatible code.  Please send me any info
directly and if there is a significant response, I will
post a summary on Info-Mac Digest.

Thanks,

Todd A. Burke
Pepperdine University
Culver City, CA 90230

Phone: 213.568.5687
Bitnet: burke@pepvax.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 16:42 CST
From: <HRAMAGLI%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacIP

We are currently using a version of a program called MacIP which allows one
to go directly from a Mac onto the internet.  The version is 2.01 and dated
1987.  Does anyone know if there is a newer version of this or if the source
files are available?  MacIP only works through the AppleTalk port.  It will
not use an ethernet connection which is why we are looking for a new version.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Howard

 *  Dr. Howard J. Ramagli, Director             BITNET Info Representative  *
 *  Technology Support Services, BIT Center                                 *
 *  University of Tennessee, Memphis, 877 Madison, Memphis, TN 38163        *
 *  (901) 528-5848                    Internet:  HRAMAGLI@UTMEM1.UTMEM.EDU  *
 *  BITNET:  HRAMAGLI@UTMEM1.BITNET                      AppleLink:  U0282  *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 17:17:12 edt
From: Rocky_Olive@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: New programmer problems with Think Pascal

CEO file contents:
Greetings!  I've been using Macs for a while, and I've programmed on other
machines, and I'm now learning to program a mac.  I've typed in the MiniEdit
program from Inside Mac #2 (I haven't bought the newer books yet), and I've got
a couple of questions:

   1) When I resize one of my windows, the vertical control area becomes an
      oval instead of a rectangle.  Why?  What should my resource look like?

   2) After the program ends, I can no longer double-click anything under the
      Finder.  Why?

I'm just understanding the concept of events, so please pardon my ignorance!
Oh.  Almost forgot.  My system is a IIcx running MonoFinder, and I'm
programming in Lightspeed Pascal.  I sort of understand ResEdit, although there
are many resource types that I don't know.

While I'm composing, does anyone know of a (cheap/free) terminal emulator that
will transfer using checksum Xmodem?  There are some pc-clone based BBS's
around here that I would like to download stuff from using my Mac, but V-Term
only supports Text and MacBinary Xmodem, and I couldn't get either of them to
work.

Please respond directly to me since the digest gets forwarded to me.  Thanks!
.Rockford L. Olive......         <rocky_olive@dgc.mceo.dg.com>
..Data General Corp.....
...Technology  Drive....         #define PS2 NULL
....Apex,  NC   27502...         #define OS2 NULL
.....919/362-4800x5392..         #define MSWINDOWS NULL
......919/362-4914 home.         #define DISCLAIMER "It just slipped out."

------------------------------

Date: 27 Oct 89 05:08:22 GMT
From: munnari!ditmela.oz.au!Brian.May@uunet.uu.net (Brian May)
Subject: ODA translators (WP <-> ODA/ODIF)

Hello all,

I am trying to find out the degree of usage for the ODA part of
Carnegie Mellon University's Andrew toolkit throughout the world.

The area I am most interested in is that of the development for
WP & text formatter translators to and from ODA/ODIF using the
toolkit (*Mac* & Unix especially).
          ^^^

I would be most grateful to receive *any* information in these
areas from the ATK users community.

Regards,
Brian May.

--
Brian May, DIT, CSIRO, |Mathematicians are like frenchmen: whenever you say      |
55 Barry st, Carlton,  |something to them, they translate it into their own      |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 14:24 EDT
From: Roberta Russell <PRUSSELL@ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu>
Subject: Problem: static data and Lightspeed C

        I am building a screen saver for the Macintosh SE.  I am using
Lightspeed C.  The screen saver contains a routine which is called by the
vertical retrace manager periodically.   I am having a problem accessing
my static data.
        Because Lightspeed C puts the static data after the program code
but does not prepare the base register A4 for a code resource, this register
needs to be manually loaded with the address of the static variable space.
This is quite possible when the code resource (type INIT) is executed during
startup, but somewhat more difficult when the screen saver routine is called
by the vertical retrace manager periodically throughout the execution of
other applications. The screen saver routine needs to access the global
data to do important things like count vertical retrace cyles, reset the
vertical retrace queue count, etc.
        Does anybody know a clean way to let my re-entrant screen saver
code know about the address of the static data space, so it can load A4
properly and access my program's static data?   Failing that, is there a
better mechanism than this for accessing my static data?  Failing that,
can anyone reccommend a fairly safe kludge?

Thank you.

David Hersey
**********************************

bhersey@oberlin                          (bitnet)
bhersey%oberlin@cunyvm.cuny.edu          (arpanet or csnet)
bhersey@ocvaxa.oberlin.edu               (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 19:28:06 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Roland 1012 and Grappler

A friend of mine is getting some garbage characters at the beginning
of printouts when using his Roland printer with a Grappler on a Mac
Plus.

If you are using a Roland 1012 (or Panasonic 1080i) with a Grappler
C/Mac/GS, I would like to know what dip switch settings you are
using on the printer and on the Grappler and any other information
that may be relevant.

Internet: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Bitnet:   userLSF@UBCMTSG

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 12:17:14 CDT
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: We Be Ill-ing to Slides (Illustrator--> Film Recorder)

>Subject:      We Be Ill-ing to slides
>To: Jeff Meredith <Meredith@ERL.MIT.EDU>

<Great subject title, no?>

Jeff Meredith had asked about sending Illustrator files and other PS
stuff to a Film recorder.  Below is a copy of what I sent to him

--Michael Farlow