Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/12/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 11 Nov 89       Volume 7 : Issue 198

Today's Topics:
                   3.9uf Caps & Plus Power Supplies
                            Aesthete INIT
                              Black Box
                             CMDR DIALOG
                         ehman 19 in monitor
                           Electronic parts
                      Grammar analysis resources
                        Help..Virus Attack!!!
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #192
             Is there a procedure type in LS Pascal 1.1?
          Just When you Thought you had your System Tamed...
                   Looking for good OCR software...
                            MAC TV WINDOW
                          pagination problem
                       Personal Server Network
                           PSI 1.0 (1 of 6)
                   RamDisk+ doesn't like MacroMaker
                               UNIX od
                      VirusBlockade II Ltd. 1.0
                          VirusDetective 3.1
                 Word 4, ImageWriter and LaserWriter
                     Word 4.0 Pagination problem
                         WRITENOW SUMMARY....

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wednesday, 8 November 1989 8:26am CST
From: CHAA013@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: 3.9uf Caps & Plus Power Supplies

   The Oct. 31 issue of MacWEEK contains an ad for Flybacks, 3.9uf
capacitors, power supplies and power supply upgrades for Plus/SE.
I have no idea as to their reliability but they are
                           Soft Solutions
                           907 River Rd. #98
                           Eugene, OR 97404
                           (503) 461-1136

Steve Swinnea    CHAA013@UTA3081.cc.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 89 09:00:35 EST
From: GIBBSM@ll.ll.mit.edu
Subject: Aesthete INIT

(posted to you by Norm Gall)
My brother, David Dunham, wrote this little init.  He tells me that it
is not in the public domain, but it is freeware.  There's no documentation
that  I know of, either--he gave me the init sometime last February, tho it
was a beta version at that time.  He wrote it because he didn't like the small
icon Apple used for the Finder.

      Margaret Gibbs
      gibbsm@ll.ll.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 10:00 EST
From: KWALDMAN@wash-vax.bbn.com
Subject: Black Box

	I agree with <JJM3383%TAMSIGMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>, Black
Box seems to have the potential to be a great piece of software.  EXCEPT, it
for some reason bombs sometimes (?!?!?) when I use Excel 2.2, and it does not
allow the page setup window and print windows to be shown in MS WORD, EXCEL and
MacDraw.
	I, personally will try another version in a few months (after my
patience returns, and if that one works, will send in my shareware fee.)
	For the record I was using Black Box 1.2, Finder 6.1 System 6.02 on
a MacSE with 1Meg memory.
	Karl
The above opinions are mine, and not BBN's

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  8 Nov 89 13:36 PST
From: JOHN LOUCH <LOUCHA%CLARGRAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: CMDR DIALOG

Dear Netters,
        I have found a problem with commander dialog, being that if you use Free
hand text tools you cannot type a "O", "o", "C", "c", "a", "A".  Since all text
is done through a dialog box cmdr dialog causes the previos letters to activat
the involved buttons ("OK", "Cancel", "Apply").  I find this very limiting since
I often used the involved letters.  I'm usinf FreeHand 2.02!!!!
                                John Louch [Loucha@clargrad]

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  7 Nov 89 23:37:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Braddock John Hathaway <bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: ehman 19 in monitor

Has anyone tried out the new, INEXPENSIVE 19 inch monitor
>From ehman? (there is an ad for it on the back cover of the
December 1989 issue of MacUser)

The price seems pretty reasonable ($899), but I'd like
more information before I go out and drop that much cash.
I'm currently waiting for a brochure from ehman, but
does anybody have any experience with this piece of
equipment?  Can anyone throw out some ideas for comparably
priced alternatives?

I'll post a summary to the net.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 89 20:00 CST
From: Richard <Tilley%ccm.UManitoba.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Electronic parts

>Info-Mac Digest V7 #191
>I am looking for a 3.9 microFarad 25 Volt
>-Theo Kelessoglou
>theo@ic.Berkeley.EDU

Even if you find the *exact* replacement, its not worth the bother to install.
Also not worth the bother to replace analog board, warranty or otherwise.
C1 runs so hot it fails in a year if you leave the machine on.
The heat stress also causes other problems in that corner of the board.
This is the sole reason for the 3 month warranty, not greed or other sillyness.

Best solution I have found is 4 parallel 1uF mil spec ceramics.
They are about the size of a finger nail and not much thicker.
4 soldered to a piece of Vero board make a package about suger cube size.
Leave 1 pair of leads uncut and, voila! a cool 3.9 non-polarized cap.
Got them from Active Electronics (a self-serve and mail order place).
Not cheep.

There must be some other ideas out there. Lets hear them!

-- Richard <Tilley@ccm.UManitoba.CA>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 89 10:14:42 CST
From: Jim Wirtanen <MN032773@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: Grammar analysis resources

I've received requests from faculty asking me to identify and purchase
one or more grammar analysis programs that can be used to check word
processing documents that have been done in MacWrite, MS Works or MS Word.
Question: Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with specific
programs (e.g., Doug Clapp's Word Tools, Sensible Software's Sensible
Grammar, etc.)? Any recommendations or names of other programs to consider
would be very helpful.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 09:57 EST
From: <FELDMAN_%CTSTATEU.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Help..Virus Attack!!!

Please help!!

I work in an Apple computer lab at Central Connecticut State University, and
lately we've been having an outbreak of viruses (nVir A).  I figured it out by
using Disinfectant Ver. 1.1.

What should I do??  It is a public lab, so people are in and out all the time
some with their own disks.  We have all Mac SE's with 20 meg HD hooked up
through appletalk.  I tried using gatekeeper, but programs such as Excel would
not work.  I tried initializing all the hard drives, and replacing them with
the original software, but the viruses keep coming back.  Also some of the
people come in with their own software that could be infected.

Any information on how I can control this problem would be greatly appreciated.
You can contact me at: FELDMAN_GAL@CTSTATEU

Thanks,

Garry Feldman
Supervisor, CCSU Apple Computer Lab

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 89 18:27:51 GMT
From: stevem@hpvcfs1 (Steve Miller)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #192
> Paul Brians writes:
>
>The recent comments by  Norm Gall, William DenBesten, and Z. Reuveni
>about their lack of problems with the DeskWriter illustrate my point:
>they all have at least 2.5 megs of RAM.  My complaint is that although
>Apple still markets most of its machines with 1 meg, more and more you
>need extra RAM for minimal functioning...

I worked on the DeskWriter driver and would like to comment on the problems
that Paul is having.  I too have a Mac 512KE upgraded to 1 Meg RAM.  But,
unlike Paul, I haven't had any problems with my DeskWriter.

Why haven't I had problems?  Because I know that with only 1 Meg of RAM, I
can't have all of the bells and whistles installed (INITS), run
large applications, and use a DeskWriter all at the same time without running
into a RAM shortage.

One Meg of RAM used to be enough for the "Dream System", but it isn't anymore.
You can blame the DeskWriter, you can blame the INITs, you can blame Apple's
growing system requirements, and you can blame the application writers.  The
fact remains that in order to do more and fancier stuff with your Mac, like
use the latest version of applications (after all, Word went from 350K to
670K when it went from 3.0X to version 4.0) and use a 300 DPI QuickDraw based
printer with outline fonts and use memory hungary INIT's, you may need to
add more RAM.

If you're unlucky, like me (a 512KE upgraded to 1 Meg), it isn't cheap to
add more RAM.  But, even with 1 Meg, I am still running Word 4.0 which is
a GIANT application, with no problems.  Printing is still slower since Word
leaves precious little RAM left for the DeskWriter driver but I still have
reasonable performance (barely) on my 17 page document.  However,
Word 4.0 is starting to stretch the limits of what will work on a DeskWriter
in 1 Meg of RAM.  It's fairly well known that PageMaker, FullWrite,
Full Impact, and some other large applications can have problems running in
only 1 Meg (especially if you want you're INIT's); unfortnately, I think that
Word 4.0 has entered the realm of the BIG application.

DeskWriter requires about 250K of RAM while printing using the outline fonts
(less is required if not using "high quality" outline fonts).
Even Word 4.0 at 670K wouldn't have any problems if it purged
more of it's code resources during printing as recomended by Apple.

You're comment about the DeskWriter manual not suggesting how to conserve
RAM isn't true.  In Chapter 5 "Maximizing Printer Performance" you are
instructed on ways to save RAM (setting RAM cache, removing INITs etc..)
among other things.  It doesn't have all the answers, but it has a lot
of useful information.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 10:47:09 CST
From: "Lovely Angels Fanatic Cult" <UC528665%UMCVMB.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Is there a procedure type in LS Pascal 1.1?

I've seen the procPtr type, but so far that's only been useful for
passing procedure addresses to system routines.  What I really
need is the ability to "late-bind" a procedure call, so that I can
change the actual procedure called on the fly.  Does LightSpeed
Pascal 1.1 support this feature, or should I go looking elsewhere?
(I suppose I could hack it together in assembly language, but that's
not a desired option at this time.)

Thanks in advance,

craig s. cottingham
  -- "Remember to be wary of wizards,
      for to them, thou art crispy,
      and go well with strawberry jam...."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 13:35:57 CST
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Just When you Thought you had your System Tamed...

Greetings!

I got a question that would like to put to the net to see if there is an
an answer/explanation to what happened.

When I came into work this morning (8 Nov) my boss brought to my
attention that all was not right with our IIx.  When asked, he said that
when the IIx was restarted, it would show the Happy Mac, then recycle
back to the screen with the 'question mark disk.'  He also told me that
he had performed a work-around by booting off of a floppy, moved the
system and finder out of the System folder, the restored from these
files from our back-ups (thank goodness we did that recently! *whew*
<grin>).  I checked and everything was ok as far as the operation of the
Mac goes, but, when I looked at the copy of the corrupted System File,
it had grown to over 1.5Meg!!!  This is more than double of the usual
600+ kilobytes!  So feeling confident that I had nothing to loose by
poking an prodding it, I whipped out my copy of ResEdit 1.2 andattempted
to open the culprit.  But alas, ResEdit made a valient effort but said
that it could not open the file and offered a -39 as an excuse.  I
checked out the System Error Table DA v1.3 by Bill Steinberg and -39 is
supposed to be an End Of File error.

Now, my questions are this....Wha Happend??? <mystified look>  All was
fine when I left at 2am the nite before and interrogating my boss and
the other employees who were here this morning resulted in much
shrugging of shoulders and blank stares.  I dont think its viral related
(Disinfectant says that the system file is damaged  **sarcastic -duh-**
:->  )  If anyone would like to see a copy of this file and tell me what
went wrong, I would appreciate any input.

BTW: I'm running under 6.0.3, and the usual myriad of Inits/Cdevs and
can provide a list of these if needed.

-=-Michael Farlow                     X098MF@TAMVM1.BITNET                  -=-
-=-CSC Graphics Lab, Texas A&M U.     X098MF@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU                -=-
-=-         Albatros!                                                       -=-
-=-InfoMacMods: I made it under 4 lines! Aren't you proud of me?? <grin>    -=-

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 89 19:20:26 EDT
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Looking for good OCR software...

Greetings,

Since our department has recently upgraded a Mac II to 5MB and acquired
an Apple Scanner, it seems useful to buy a good Optical Character
Recognition package to go with it. However, there seems to be quite a
few options.

Does anybody have recommendations as to which is best ? Good and bad
reviews would be very helpful.

Please respond directly to me, and I'll summarize for the list.

Thanks,

Juan M. Courcoul
Academic Services
Monterrey Tech.
Monterrey, N. L., Mexico

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 12:10:27 SST
From: TNG Tai Hou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MAC TV WINDOW

Has anyone any experience with

1. controlling videodisc player from hypercard
2. getting the output from the player to a window on the hypercard
   screen

Please share your experiences and the hardware and software involved.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 14:43:27 EST
From: "Mark P. Hanusz" <MH2LOPER%MIAMIU.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: pagination problem

Peter-
I've also come across the same problem.  What you have to do (or what works for
 me) is to get a LaserWriter driver in your system folder. Just ask around,
they aren't too hard to find.  Then when you begin your Word document, go to
the Apple menu and select Chooser.  Then click on the LaserWriter icon. Got it?
This should set up your page to the laserwriter specifications. You won't be
able to print it out on the ImageWriter, but you shouldn't have any problem
printing it out from the IIcx.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 15:11:00 EST
From: Adriene NAzaretian <ADRIENE%YALEADS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Personal Server Network

We recently had a copy of Information Presentation Technology's
distributed networking software called Personal Server Network for evaluation
purposes.

Here is some general information:
No distributors , order direct from the company.
The phone number is (818) 347-7791
(The back page of the manual has the phone # listed incorrectly as 7792
 although inside the front cover has the correct one)

If you are an educational institution you get 35% off the list price and
can call direct (ask for Russ Guzzo who handles educational discounts)

Pricing is as follows:
PSN for 2 nodes: $289.00
        4 nodes: $529.00
       10 nodes: $999.00
     + 10 nodes: $ 99.00 per node

They define a node as either a server or client.

If you were to buy the PSN 10, you could have 1 server and 9 clients or
2 servers and 8 clients .... or 10 servers.

--Adriene Nazaretian
  Office Automation Services / LAN Support
  Yale University

Disclaimer:  Did I say that?

------------------------------

Date: 26 Oct 89 11:09:31+0100
From: Markus P.J. Fromherz <fromherz@ifi.unizh.ch>
Subject: PSI 1.0 (1 of 6)

  PSI     1.0/10-25-1989

  Personal System for Information Management and Retrieval

OVERVIEW

  PSI helps with the management and retrieval of information, which
  may be bibliographic references, addresses, software, CD collec-
  tions etc. Information is saved in records, in the following
  called cards; a simple card description language allows to define
  fields and layout.
  Descriptors help to annotate the cards and, above all, to quickly
  retrieve the information. The information of the cards may be
  exported (listed or printed) in any format.
  Information may also be imported from data bases (fixed format) or
  files where the information is ordered by keywords (like Refer).

! PSI is intended to be an application for your personal data. It
  should be easy to set up and to use. It is comparably small,
  versatile and useful for a broad range of data. The search by
  descriptors makes retrieval fast and handy, and the export and
  import capabilities are quite powerful.

! Documentation with introductions and sample sessions as well as
  on-line help are available. If you use PSI for the first time, it
  may be a good idea to load "PSI Help" in PSI (or start PSI by
  double-clicking on the file "PSI Help") and try the sample
  sessions while reading this text. Several examples accompany the
  application to give you an idea about the possibilities of PSI.

DISTRIBUTION POLICY

  Please feel free to copy PSI and give it to other Macintosh users
  for their evaluation. I retain all rights to this software and its
  documentation, which may not be sold, either separately or as part
  of another product, without my written approval.

! PSI is free for personal use. If you decide to use PSI, please send
  me a post card of your home town. This way, you may even get a free
  update (only by e-mail or if you pay the transportation, i.e. disk
  and stamps).

! If you intend to use PSI for commercial business or just want to
  become a registered user, with the advantage of getting updates and
  the right to ask for additional functionality, send whatever you
  think you should pay (the equivalent of about sFr. 20 or $20), just
  to make sure I don't pay the price for the additional effort (time,
  postage etc.). PSI is not free for commercial use!

  Don't forget the post card!

  If you have questions: I will scan USENET comp.sys.mac
  for PSI-related messages. You may also send me e- or
  p-mail. I will not answer to phone calls.

  (C) 1989  Markus P.J. Fromherz
  p-mail: Institut fuer Informatik der Universitaet Zuerich
          Winterthurerstr. 190
          CH-8057 Zuerich
  e-mail: fromherz@ifi.unizh.ch

[Archived as /info-mac/app/psi-part1.hqx; 180K
             /info-mac/app/psi-part2.hqx; 176K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 11:56:25 EST
From: Zhen Jie Lin <munnari!diemen.cc.utas.oz.au!lin@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: RamDisk+ doesn't like MacroMaker

Recently, I am trying the RamDisk+ 2.08.  Now, I am wondering  any people over t
here can help me with the following questions.

First, the backUp facility with RamDisk+:

Even though I copy the files which I don't intend to change them in most cases
into the RAM disk, I still have to change some of them occasionally, or the syst
em automatically create some files in the startup disk(now is in the RAM disk!).
  My question is:  are there any later version of RamDisk+ or other similar soft
wares, which, upon shutdown or restart, will automatically check the RAM disk (l
ike quitting from most application softwares) to see whether
        any file has been modified since copied from the real disk;
        Or any newly created files which has not been saved to the real disk.
If any, the system will ask whether you want to save the file to your disk.  Wit
h such option, I will double my confidence to use the RAM disk.

The second question is:  the RAM disk seems not compatible with MacroMaker.

To illustrate this clearly, the details are described as follows:
1) I am using Mac+ with 2.5 M memory; system v Z-6.0.2; finder v Z-6.0.2;
2) I set the RAM disk size as 1304 K;
3) Without putting the MacroMaker files (MacroMaker, MacroMaker Help and Macros)
 into the system folder, the startUp process goes successfully.  That is, after
startUp, the RAM disk (1304 K) has been created with all files in the system fol
ders;  the startUp disk has been changed to the RAM disk and the floppy disk has
 been ejected;
4) With the MacroMaker files (as same as above) in the system, the startUp proce
ss still goes smoothly and the results are exactly same as those without MacroMa
ker files in the system folder.  Notice: No any MacroMaker Menu appears in the m
enu bar in the whole process.  The system starts up just like no any MacroMaker
INIT in the system folder;
5) Repeat 4) now.  While files in the system folders  are being copied into the
RAM disk, click the mouse to get the control of RamDisk+.  The MacroMaker menu n
ow appears in the menu bar!  Click Button "Continue" to continue.  When file "Ma
cros" is being copied, a message comes out: "Sorry, a read error occurred,  file
 skipped".  After clicking "OK", the copy process is continued.  When you think
all files except "Macros" have been copied into the RAM disk and the startup pro
cess will finish soon, a system bomb appears:  "Sorry, a system error occur.  ID
=03"
6) Repeat 5) now.  However, when you get a RamDisk+ control window, change the d
isk size to 0 and then click at the button "remove".  Click "OK" when you are as
ked "About to erase the contents in the disk".  The startup process is continued
 and finished successfully.  The results (as expected) now are:  The RAM disk ha
sn't been created; the launching disk hasn't been ejected, and the MacroMaker me
nu appears in the menu bar.  All of them are expected as if no RamDisk+ in the s
tartup disk.

My third question is about the relationship between RAM disk and memory cache.
After creating a RAM disk, I hope I can use it to store the unchanging system fi
les and application, while using the cache to store the data dynamically.  In su
ch case, I believe the processing speed will be increased again.  But the RAM di
sk 2.08 recommended disabling the cache.  Why?

Any people  can give me a help?  Thanks in advance.

My email address: lin@diemen.cc.utas.oz

I will summarize the responses and post it to the net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 01:28:01 -0500
From: earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: UNIX od

>Date: Sat, 4 Nov 89 11:12:46 EST
>From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physicsa.mcgill.ca>
>Subject: UNIX od
>
>	Does anyone have source for a UNIX-like "od" (octal dump),
>written in C, which would be installable under AztecC?  More generically,
>are there a collection of unix command look-alikes for extending the
>pitiful capacities of the AztecC environment?

There is something called "Unitools" which operates under the Aztec
Shell and contains some UNIX command lookalikes.  This is available
>From Manx, the company responsible for Aztec C.

I have found that the MPW Shell offers much more power than the Aztec
Shell, and it can run the Aztec compiler, too.  I think the number of
people using MPW is much greater, also.  There is a hex file dump
utility available for MPW, although that might not be exactly what you
want.

Earle R. Horton

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 89 10:05:08 CDT
From: shulman@sdrvx2.sinet.slb.com (Jeffrey Shulman)
Subject: VirusBlockade II Ltd. 1.0

VirusBlockade II is an INIT/cdev that locks your hard disk or floppy
preventing its contents from being modified, files deleted or contents
erased, either by accident or virus attack.  Features fully configurable
options, automatic/manual operation (with manual override), floppy eject,
password settings protection and automatic floppy virus scanning on
insertion when used with VirusDetective 3.1 (or later).  This DEMO version
will not save settings to disk.  StuffIt packed with MacWrite documentation.

                                                        Jeff

uucp:      ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:     SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM
AppleLink: KILROY
Delphi:    JEFFS
GEnie:     KILROY
CIS:       76136,667

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/virus-blockade-ii.hqx; 63K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 21:27:28 CDT
From: shulman@sdrvx2.sinet.slb.com (Jeffrey Shulman)
Subject: VirusDetective 3.1

VirusDetective is a DA for tracking down viruses (or any resources) in
files. You specify the resource type and various attributes. Version 3.1
supports background floppy scanning when used with VirusBlockade II;
checks resource fork for validity before scan; and date/time included in log.
Shareware.

                                                        Jeff

uucp:      ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:     SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM
AppleLink: KILROY
Delphi:    JEFFS
GEnie:     KILROY
CIS:       76136,667

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/virus-detective-31.hqx; 83K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 08:15:06 CST
From: CB Lih <CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Word 4, ImageWriter and LaserWriter

There is a difference in output of the same file using an ImageWriter
or LaserWriter (other than the obvious quality difference.  I don't
know whether it has to do with the lines per page, but it does affect
the spacing of letters.  I ususally advise my users to use Chooser to
select the LaserWriter driver, if they know they plan to make their
final print on one.  LaserWriter can be chosen even if one is not
connected -- but the driver must be in the System Folder.  The screen
display will then conform to the printed output.  I also advise choosing
the ImageWriter driver before leaving the machine so the next guy can
get WYSIWYG for the attached ImageWriter.

=-->   CB Lih   <--=
Macintosh Support / Handicap Computer Support
BITNET: CL06076@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
Acknowledge-To: <CL06076@UAFSYSB>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 18:48:01 EST
From: ckd%bu-pub.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis)
Subject: Word 4.0 Pagination problem

Peter> Here's the trouble:
Peter> [description of 5pp IW doc -> 6 pp LW doc deleted]

Peter> One of the local experts tells me that the default number of lines
Peter> per page on an ImageWriter is 66 and on a laserwriter it's 60
Peter> (unchangeable) and this is the cause of the problem.

Expert?  EXPERT?  Ha!  HA!  [Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is
cluelessness masquerading as expertise.]

The problem is that Mac screen pixels are square (72dpi) but ImageWriter
pixels are not (72x80, if I remember correctly, slightly tall).  Setting
the "Tall Adjusted" box in Page Setup will result in the same spacing being
used for the Imagewriter (72x72) and will then translate to the square
aspect ratio of the 300x300 LW.
--
 Christopher Davis, BU SMG '90  <ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu> <smghy6c@buacca.bitnet>
 "Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand."

------------------------------

Date: 07 NOV 89 22:13:16 CST
From: Z4610891 <Z4610891%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: WRITENOW SUMMARY....

This letter is in regards to all of you out there who sent a reply
to the HP DeskJet Manual problem.

To: NAGAMINE at SLACVM,

    Thanks for letting me know that the article can be translated
with WRITENOW-TRANSLATOR-161 to Macwrite format.

To: DANIEL BRASHLER

    Thanks for the offer to translate this article for me.  I will get
the Writenow-translator-161 and translate it to Macwrite format.

To: Graeme Forbes, Michael Kazlow, and Hisham,

    As I said above, I will get the translator and translate it to
Macwrite format.  Thanks for the offer anyway.

To: Dan Henderson and Kees de Ridder,

   Thanks for identifying the file for me.

Finally, thanks to S. Ssujarittanonta, for telling me that I can use
another word processor such as Macwrite II to convert this file so that
it can be read.  I just wish that this file written by Dave Platt at
HP had saved this file as a stand-alone document or as a TeachText
document(s).  Thanks again.

Anthony F Gaudiano <Z4610891@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

End of Info-Mac Digest