Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/13/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 12 Nov 89       Volume 7 : Issue 200

Today's Topics:
                               32BIT QD
[alexis:  Work processes which are done faster by hand than by machine]
                          Adobe Type Manager
                              Background
                 BLUELYNX Terminal emulation for Mac
                          Circuit Simulators
                            DITL Question?
               Experiences with Nuvotech "TurboStar" ?
                            Icon Animation
                       Installing Icon Problem
                      MacPlot HP plotter driver?
                           MultiXfer v0.3a2
                      New Macintosh One-Liners
                 Point to help with VAX/Kermit/Mac ??
                    POPCHAR/AutoMac III collision
     Printing Word formatted for an ImageWriter on a LaserWriter
                           RAM Disk 1.1.Hqx
       Request for info on Non Apple laser printers for the Mac
                      What's AppleTalk Phase 2?
       Why can't the Macintosh adopt a standard text output...

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 09:34:28 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 32BIT QD

Hello folks. I have the patch for 32 bit Quickdraw. My question is:
must I know any programming detail to program with it? Are there
any special data structures, routines, etc that a programmer must
know? Or can I simply access its powers by setting the depth field
to 24 or 32 (don't know which)?

Please help me.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 89 10:08:11 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [alexis:  Work processes which are done faster by hand than by machine]

This was posted to the risks-digest today. An interesting evaluation of what
it takes to make system of this kind work, and an outstanding look at what
can be done with Macs, if one takes the time to pull it all together
properly...

tom c

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 89 04:03:27 EST
>From: alexis@panix.UUCP (Alexis Rosen)

I'm a newcomer to risks (not the net) but I've followed the discussion of
slow computer vs. fast manual systems.  This is a subject which I've some
familiarity with, and right now I'm just finishing the installation of a
very high-volume POS (point of sale) system implemented on (can you believe
it?) a network of Macintoshes, with receipt printers, cash drawers, and
bar-code scanners.

I have done other systems before which demanded speed, but this job was the
most interesting and difficult I have faced.  From it I have learned a
number of things about the speed that can be achieved with computer systems
in the face of real-world problems.

Problem #1: Careless and unintelligent employees.
Many employees, especially in the kinds of positions that wind up being
automated (cashiers, tellers, etc.) are somewhat less than brilliant. If they
were smarter they'd be rocket scientists, right? :-)  There are many who are
not dumb, and they can be worse, because boredom can make them incredibly
careless.

Solution: Management has to be involved in maintaining a decent workplace,
but there are still many things you can do to keep new technology from adding
to the trouble (which would exist no matter what).  I followed the "spirit"
of the Mac interface, which really just means being aware of human factors-
I could not use a mouse *at all*, so goodbye menus and icons. In general,
_everything_ has to be 100% bulletproofed and idiotproofed. These are not the
same thing at all- one protects against illegal values completely, while the
other warns against (but usually doesn't forbid) stupid values.

Example: After a couple of days, employees become aware of the general flow
of events in the program, so they stopped looking at the messages for them
on the screen- in fact they often didn't look at all. They were often unaware
of conditions that required immediate action (bad price entered, for example).
One solution to this particular problem was to create three distinct sounds
that notified users of acknowledgement, notification, and error conditions.

Problem #2: Forgotten Features (and other training issues)
If the system can do so much, how come it's used for so little? Because nobody
remembers how to do this, that, and the other thing. So they all do _this_
instead of _that_ and simply keep paper notes, or figure out some other way
to do less work and screw up the system. Don't fight it, because you'll lose.

Solution: Make sure everything is accessible. Write software that requires
a minimum of training. You want specifics? Start with the Apple Human Interface
Guidelines, and then there's _lots_ of other literature. But to begin with,
don't hide features, don't use cryptic codes when simple english will do, and
don't expect your users to know what they're doing- literally. Either tell
them where they are at all times (unobtrusively, of course) or failing that,
allow them to back out gracefully.   *** BE CONSISTENT ***  and don't expect
users to be the same.

Example: My POS system replaces standard cash registers. It does much much more
and yet takes one-quarter the time to learn. And the features aren't forgotten.
One Mac-ish thing it does is use title bars on all of the windows which aren't
instant-response windows (modal dialogs). The title bars say who is logged in
and what they're doing at all times.

Problem #3: Slow and/or increased data entry
Many computer systems require the tracking of much more information than the
old manual systems.  This can create the illusion of lethargic system speed
even if the hardware is quite fast. Users can be frustrated by the extra
load, which may well feel like makework to them.  The speed of entry itself
may be slow if data is validated on-the-fly as it's entered.

Solution: First, tune the software. You can acheive remarkable things by
using (or, unhappily more often, faking) multi-threading -- do the validation,
but _don't_ stop data entry while you're validating. Overlap various hard
delays- print while you're writing to disk, or calculate while verifying a
credit number with a remote machine.
   After all this helps, but isn't good enough, start buying hardware. This
may well be the best part of the system to invest in. Special data-entry
hardware can make a _huge_ difference.

Example: After tuning the POS software, there was still an inevitable slowdown
since the cashiers were entering price and item information instead of just
the price (as on the old registers). This was costing up to fifteen seconds
_per item_, which was completely intolerable. The solution was to buy bar-code
scanners, which could enter both item # and price (both of which are typically
on the item to begin with). This dramatically improves the performance of the
item-entry process.

Problem #4: Lazy programming.
Yes, I am as lazy as the next guy. Often, I'd like the real world to fit a
neat conceptual model I have developed for it. When a case comes up that I
can't handle, I'd rather contort it to fit my code rather than the other way
around. Sometimes this is feasible, and once in a while, it can lead to
marked improvements- but if so, it just identifies an improvement that should
have been realized earlier in the design process. Most of the time, shoehorning
real procedures into flowcharts is a recipe for disaster.

Solution: In that case, recode.  It's as simple and as painful as that.
Sometimes you'll wind up with pages and pages of code to deal with a handful
of exceptions that won't come up but once a year. Tough luck- that's what
being a good programmer is all about.

Example: I designed the POS system so that every item sold would already be
in the database. I went to great lengths to insure this, since it would make
life much easier for both myself and all of the users.  Unfortunately this
can't always work- at times items may be checked in with faulty item codes,
for example.  Modifying the system to deal with unexpected item codes was
one of the most annoying and inelegant things I have ever had to do, but now
it works, and people no longer complain about having to work around a system
which is supposed to make their work easier, not harder.

There is more, but I think that this is more than enough for my first risks
posting.  The point of this is that the system I built is not only more
capable and useful than the old, but is considerably more efficient up front,
as well.  I think that this achievement could easily be duplicated elsewheres
if programmers were more aware of the real-life processes they are trying to
model, and the real-life problems their systems will have to deal with.

Alexis Rosen, President, Arete Corp.  (Hat #1)
Sysadmin/Owner, PANIX public access Unix  (Hat #2)
cmcl2!panix!alexis  -or-  alexis@panix.uucp

----- End of forwarded messages

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 16:49:16 PST
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Adobe Type Manager

Well, I just have to flame for a moment, so please bear with me.

MacWEEK blasted the Adobe Type Manager on the front page of this week's issue.
Without even talking about their mispelling my name in the article, I really
don't think this ariticle is giving ATM a fair shake.  Maybe I'm the only one
who has a clue, but people on Compu$erve seem to be a bit upset about the fact
that ATM doesn't make a difference for their 10 and 12 point output on their
Imagewriter.  Of course, anyone who pays money to complain about being ripped
off can't be too bright to begin with.

The Adobe Type Manager gives us now what Apple has promised in the future.  It
has the same essential problems that Apple's outline fonts will have.  The
font rasterization is slow and takes up lots of disk space and memory. Outline
fonts need to be tweaked for low resolution and small sizes.  Note that this
is what has been done for the Apple supplied Adobe fonts and why the manual
tells you to keep them installed.  I have found that it actually behooves you
to keep all sizes installed so as to keep the performance delay to a minimum.

So here is my recommendation:

If you do only what your Imagewriter already does then ATM is wasted on you.
But, if you want access to larger font sizes without jaggies, different fonts
limited only by disk space and your budget, real italics, bold, and shadows,
and the same image on your screen as on your printer, then ATM is your
software.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 1989 12:43 PST
From: GORR <MYSTMAN%UWACDC.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU@uwavm.acs.washington.edu>
Subject: Background

I have heard of something (probably an INIT) that will allow you to place
a picture, etc.. into the background.  I was wondering if this could be
found in one of the archives or if anyone had it and could send it to me
if it was shareware, etc...

Thanx...

Please send to:

Mystman@uwacdc.acs.washington.edu
   or
MysteryMan@Max.acs.washington.edu

Thanx...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 10:09 EST
From: V076GZHB@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: BLUELYNX Terminal emulation for Mac

I am interested in obtaining software which will allow a Mac Plus/SE to connect
to a remote IBM PS/2 over Appletalk.  This would give the Mac a window into the
MS-DOS world and into a 3270 running BLUELYNX.  I already have a product called
MacChuck by Vano & Associates.  However, they are not sure that this software
can provide me with all of the function key functionality that I need.
Any ideas are solicited.  Please advise--Don Watkins
BITNET ID#-V076GZHB@UBVMS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 13:12:56 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Circuit Simulators

Does anyone know of a source for circuit simulation software for the Mac?
I've been told that there's a version of PCAP? or something like that
available. I know that PSpice is available, but it needs a Mac II to run,
and we don't want to do that if we can help it. Email to me and I'll
summarize.

tom c

                       Electric Armaments Division
      US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
                    Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
                        ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil
  UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora  BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 15:41:09 EST
From: bkirsch@nadc.arpa (B. Kirsch)
Subject: DITL Question?

Dear Mac Programmers,

	What would cause a User Item in a dialog box to only respond
when it is clicked in a certain area of the User Item?  I have a
User Item overlapping a Picture Item.  The User Item is in front, (according
to Resedit 1.2) of the picture like this:
                      +--------------------------+
                      | User Item in front of picture.
                      |                          |
                      | When clicked in this     |
            +---------|- - - - - - - - + area,   |
            |         | User Item does : User    |
            |         | Not respond    : Item    |
            |         | When clicked   : responds|
            |         | in this        :         |
            |         | region.        :         |
            |         |                :         |
            +---------|- - - - - - - - +         |
                      +--------------------------+

	Is it illegal to have items overlap in a DITL?  Isn't this the method
that is used to put the RoundRect over (or under) the OK button?
	If its of any importance, I am using Think C 4.0 on a Mac IIx with
8 Megs of RAM.

	Thanks in advance,
	Barry Kirsch
MAIL:	Naval Air Development Center
	Code 5051
	Warminster PA, 18974-5000
PHONE:	(215) 441-1886
ARPA:	bkirsch@nadc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 22:22:12 EST
From: Jonathan_Maybaum@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Experiences with Nuvotech "TurboStar" ?

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has any experience with the
relatively new active star product from Nuvotech.  Is this indeed superior to the Farallon StarController?  How about other Nuvotech products ?
Also, I would appreciate recommendations for repeaters.  We would like to linkan existing LocalTalk-wired net (about 30 devices, 2000 ft., with 2 TOPS
repeaters on already) with an active star in another building, using closet
connections which would probably run about 1000-2000 ft.  I presume that we
will also need a bridge at our end.
-
Thanks in advance for any help.
Please reply directly, if possible, to:
maybaum@ub.cc.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 20:14 CST
From: Hard On The Beaver <JABUSSEY%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Icon Animation

  Does anyone have any notes or Utils that can help me install Animated
Icons? Ie. Having a folder open when it is Clicked on. I had a doc that
explained how to do it but it is now in RE-FORMAT land! I think you have
to do some xor and mask tricks when creating the icon. Any help will be
appreciated!

Thanks in Advance
Jacque Andre' Bussey
Apple Student Representative
University of Arkansas Little Rock

------------------------------

Date: 10 NOV 89 12:55:11
From: P7DEA001%FRCIRP81.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Installing Icon Problem

After installing an icon for the application in the application's resoource
file, (as explained in Inside Mac), you must rebuild the "Desktop File",
because the finder doesn't automatically recognize that the application has
an icon. (In fact it is automatic when the application is first created, but
if it is the result of a new compilation of the application, for instance,
then the finder doesn't know that it's new, so it doesn't look in the
application resource file to get the icon (I suppose)).
 The desktop file is invisible on the desktop, so you can't just "Throw it in
the garbage can" under the Finder. But you can still destroy it from ResEdit.
IIn that case next time the finder is launched, the desktop file will be rebuis
-d.  An other way (usually better) is to press the command key (or option,
I don't remember) while the finder is being launched. After setting up the
menu bar, the finder opens up a dialog box asking: "Do you reaaly want to
rebuild the desktop?", answer OK and it should be all right.
 Well, it's a classical problem and I suppose someone has already answered.
If so, just throw away this message.   And forgive me if my english is bad,
cause I'm french....
                           Friendly yours,
                                     Martin
( P7DEA001@FRCIRP81.BITNET or something like that, this NOS/VE is such a mess)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 08:38 CST
From: Fred Schulz <CHEE77@uhvax1.uh.edu>
Subject: MacPlot HP plotter driver?

I am considering ordering Microspot's MacPlot Standard, which provides a
chooser level driver for various plotters, including HP's.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What kind of quality can be expected.
How does it handle bitmap fonts?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 16:12:48 EST
From: Martin Dubuc <dubuc@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: MultiXfer v0.3a2
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

This is the latest version of MultiXfer (V0.3a2).

MultiXfer is a telecommunication application in which I implemented
a protocol based on X.25 allowing someone to make simultaneous
upload/download/chat (this is the kind of protocol used in MCS).
While in simultaneous upload/download, protocol efficiency is
at his best being as good as 3 times faster than XModem and
50% better than ZModem (which is considered the fastest protocol
available).

MultiXfer is a Mac-to-Mac serial-to-serial file transfer utility.
This means it can transfer files between two Macintosh linked by
modems or a null cable.

One of the major feature of MultiXfer beside its protocol is its
ability to turn your Macintosh into a host computer letting other
peoples under MultiXfer call your Mac, receive, send, catalog files
and navigate through the directories of your disk without any
human intervention.

There is also a VT-52 terminal implemented into the application
and it is MultiFinder friendly (can be used in background).

Most of the changes to V0.2 are related to the terminal emulator.
The VT-52 terminal emulator has been designed to be functionnal
for baud rates ranging from 1200 to 9600 bauds.

   Martin Dubuc
   Universite de Montreal

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/multixfer-03a2.hqx; 55K]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Oct 89 19:46:55 GMT
From: pepke@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke)
Subject: New Macintosh One-Liners

Here is the latest version of the Macintosh One-Liners.

The Macintosh One-Liners are intended to condense onto a single sheet of paper
information about some of the most common Macintosh problems and programming
pitfalls.  Each one-liner is a single line of text, shorter than 80 characters,
which informs about one aspect of Macintosh use or programming.

The one-liners are brief and do not give complete information about their
topics.  This is intentional.  Detailed documentation exists elsewhere, mostly
in Inside Macintosh and in the Technical Notes.  If you need more information
than is provided in a one-liner, you should be able to determine it by a little
experimentation or by looking it up using the words in the one-liner as hints.
The one-liners are short so that they can be consulted quickly and easily.

One-liners give either facts or advice.  The facts may be obvious to some
people and obscure to others, but are important for all.  The advice is
intended to help keep people from running into the most common nontrivial
problems.  Like proverbs, the advice may not be absolute and may sometimes be
more conservative than is strictly neccessary.  However, I have found that a
little constructive paranoia can go a long way toward avoiding problems, and
more than once I have taken a precaution which seemed extreme at the time but
which saved my skin later on.

The one-liners started off as a list I made for myself of things to remember
while writing programs.  I have augmented them with my condensed records of
several years of Info-Mac, Usenet, and Delphi digests and one year of Usenet
reading.  People who have contributed to the list since its first release are
mentioned at the end.  The result is very much a gestalt of the Macintosh lore
I have seen and depends on the wisdom and efforts of many people.  If I have
forgotten to include your name, I apologize.

I would be gratified if every Macintosh user and programmer kept a copy of
this list and consulted it before asking questions of the network at large.
Many of the most commonly asked questions are addressed in the list.

Send suggestions for additional one-liners to pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu on the
Internet, or PEPKE@FSU on BITNET.  Have fun.

[Archived as /info-mac/tips/one-liners.txt; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 23:35 CST
From: Jost <JRSTREMIKIS@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: Point to help with VAX/Kermit/Mac ??

Gentlemen/women...

	Excuse my ignorance, please, I am quite new to
all of this...
	Can you suggest someone, or some publication,
that can help with this situation?

	I can successfully use my VAX e-mail, and FTP,
and Telnet to retrieve files from remote machines on
this network... e.g., from Dec.WRL, White Sands M R,
Sweden, and even Sumex-aim.stanford...
	I can even use Kermit to move BinHex'ed
files onto my Mac disks... and HexBin them, and
UnStuff them...

	But the problem is, when I move a Binary
file... or my network friends send me a binary
file... and I ask Kermit to send it... and I
ask my VersaTerm Pro to receive it... the process
is interrupted very quickly... and is always
unsuccessful. I set VersaTerm to Text Kermit,
Binary Kermit, and MacBinary Kermit.  Sometimes,
I am able to move the file into the Mac disk,
with Binary Kermit... but
	StuffIt 1.5.1 quickly returns an error
(unexpected EOF) when I try to UnHex.

	Any suggestions ? I'll be very grateful.

		Regards,
		John Stremikis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 09:48:11 GMT
From: "J.M.L.Martin" <LUCTHSCH%BDILUC11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: POPCHAR/AutoMac III collision

Dear fellow-MacIsts,

Those of you who have downloaded the POPCHAR INIT will agree with me that it
is both a very useful thing (actually indispensable when you do scientific word
processing and just need all these weird special characters all the time) and
a very clever hack. Upon receiving Word 4.0 (which includes Automac III), we di
scovered an incompatibility between AutoMac III and PopChar: when you click in
the upper left hand corner of the screen to activate PopChar, an instance of th
e AutoMac main dialog is invoked too, which is most undesirable. Does anyone
have a clue on how to avoid this?

                       Happy Mack-ing,

                       J.M.L.Martin
                       Quantum Chemistry, Department SBM
                       Limburgs Universitair Centrum
                       Universitaire Campus
                       B-3610 Diepenbeek, Belgium

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 89 19:00:33 CST
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing Word formatted for an ImageWriter on a LaserWriter

     Peter,

There is a simple fix that I and my local student Apple rep have come up with
that works in most of the cases.  As you ave found out, when you try to
edit/print a MS Word document (3.0x or 4.0) that was originally formatted for
a Imagewriter, they will do not look alike.  The solution for this is
to delve into the LaserWriter Page Setup command under the File menu and
click on the Options button.  Then click the check box for '4% reduction' on.
This should fix everything.  The reason explained to me by Mike Jordon (the
aforementioned rep) is that the imagewriter can be set up to print to a zero
margin, while the Laser can only go as close as a 3/8 in. margin (at least that
is as close as I have gotten with Word).  Word keeps the tab positions and
all of the other formatting codes in the same relative place, but the added
margins will cause your document to be cast all askew.

I hope this has helped and if I can do more, just let me know.

-=-Michael Farlow
   Graphics Lab, Texas A&M U.
   'It is a galactic law of physics that no mater how high you drop it, your
    open faced peanut butter sandwich will land face down on your shag carpet.'

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 10:33:39 EST
From: tsilva%aaec1.UUCP@dspvax.mit.edu (Tony Silva)
Subject: RAM Disk 1.1.Hqx

Here's the latest version of Takayuki Karahashi's RAM disk, a simple,
elegant, fully functional CDEV/INIT for creating a RAM disk. Its great
for all you poor souls out there who, like me, have plenty of memory
but still only two floppies and no hard drive.  You just put a copy of
it in your system folder, open the control panel, select the name and
size of the RAM disk, close the control panel, and reboot.  The RAM
disk is installed automatically at startup. I have been using it with
both Finder 6.1 and Multifinder 6.0.1 on a 2.5 Mb Mac Plus running
System 6.0.2.

N.B. - If you have RAM Disk 1.0 still around, replace it ASAP with the
new version (1.1). Version 1.0 has a bug that can reformat anything in
your external drive if you boot without a hard disk.  Please spread
the word about the upgrade to anyone else you know who uses RAM disk.

The author can be reached at [75165,656] on Compuserve, or
75165.656@compuserve.com on the Internet.

Tony Silva

Atlantic Aerospace Electronics Corp.	ARPA: tsilva%aaec1.UUCP@dspvax.MIT.EDU
470 Totten Pond Road			UUCP: ...!seismo!dspvax!aaec1!tsilva
Waltham, MA 02154
(617)890-4200

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/ramdisk-11.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 09:18:20 CST
From: karti@hcvdl.csc.ti.com
Subject: Request for info on Non Apple laser printers for the Mac

I wanted to buy the new HP laserjet IIP printer for my Mac+. It seems
to be a good deal for a laser printer, the only problem is that i am
not sure how well it works with the Mac. As i understand i need to get
some interface software (such as the program MacPrint (which HP told me
about)) or hardware such as the grappler. Could anyone who has more
information on printers help me with this problem. My main concern
is as to how well the IIP would work with the Mac. I'd appreciate
any comments or suggestions.

I am aware of the HP Deskwriter. The only problem there is that it is
an inkjet printer and the ink is water soluble, so I would really prefer
the HP IIP if it works fine with the Mac.

Thanks for any info.

karti

email:      karti@hcvdl.vdl.ti.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 11:46
From: <KARRER%DM0MPB51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: What's AppleTalk Phase 2?

hi all,

we recently got a set of new kinetics fastpath 4 boxes with documentation
dated 20-sep-89. in the manual, they talk _a lot_ about their support for
AppleTalk Phase 2 without actually saying what it is.

now what is AppleTalk Phase 2? just some fixes? something totally new?
any faster?

hmm - "Phase 2" reminds me of DEC's nomenclature for DECnet versions - DECnet
too comes in Phases. Anything to do with DEC's licensing of LAT to Apple?

any clarification welcome.

- andi karrer - max-planck-institute for biochemistry - martinsried, FRG -
- karrer@dm0mpb51.bitnet -
- "i used to think i was indecisive, but now i'm not so sure" -
- disclaimer: ambrose bierce: lawyer: one skilled in circumvention of the law -

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1989 13:33:41 PDT
From: lsr@apple.com (Larry Rosenstein)
Subject: Why can't the Macintosh adopt a standard text output...

In article <8911070535.AA27709@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) writes:

> TeachText can actually have graphics included in the file.  I have seen
this
> in documentation of several programs, although those were always very
simple
> pictures.  I have no idea how it is done but it seems to be possible.
There
> is also a trick to make TeachText files as read-only documents.

To add pictures to a TeachText file you need to put a non-breaking space
(option-space) character into the text.  Each time TeachText sees this
character it displays a PICT resource.  The IDs for the PICT resource
begin at 1000 and go up from there.  You have to insert enough blank lines
to leave space for the picture.

To make a TeachText file read-only, change its creator to 'ttro'.

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.
Object Specialist

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1

End of Info-Mac Digest

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/13/89)

[ The preceding digest has been locally divided into its component articles. ]