Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/15/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 14 Nov 89       Volume 7 : Issue 201

Today's Topics:
                 About INITs, BlackBox in particular
                         Custom WDEF example
                          HaikuMaster stack
                          Hi-Low Laser Font
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #194
                             Need a XFCN
                  Official THINK C  scanf() patches
                 Printing PostScript files from a Mac
        Readable "Read Me" FIles/Standard Text Documentation
                             ResMaster DA
                            serial driver
                STANDARD TEXT OUTPUT FOR README FILES
                     SuperPaint Plug-in Problems
                      System 7 and 2-floppy macs
            Think C 4.0 + OOPs + Code Resource -- Why not.
                           Weird Mac Crash
                  Yet another Black Box problem area

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 11:28:47 PST
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: About INITs, BlackBox in particular

Concerning Black Box and FreshStart:

Both of these INITs fail in most of our environments due to one simple rule
that the authors failed to follow.  Define your single goal and stick to it.
Both programs try to do everything!  Most of us already have a plethora of
INITs running.  I am reaching the end of my second row on my Mac II screen.

As examples of INITs that are well scoped and interfere with nothing, I
present Facade and ColorFinder, both of which can be found in the archive.
They do similar things and work together without knowing anything about the
other because they are SIMPLE and CONCISE.  They do the task defined and
nothing else.

Both Black Box and FreshStart are attempts to be the definative INIT and as
such they fail for the same reason that Jazz failed.  Macintosh users can do
better by combining a couple of programs that do the tasks better than any of
these integrated programs.  I learned this lesson with Randomizer, an INIT I
wrote.  I started out simply replacing the functionality of Backdrop's
randomization by adding sounds to the files changed.  I actually incorporated
the Backdrop screen functionality into Randomizer also and that was my
greatest mistake.  Randomizer now changes files and that is it.  It does it's
single simple task and quits.  If you authors are listening, please take note.
There is a reason that MacWrite lasted as long as it did.  Simplicity.

My suggestions for Black Box are four:  1) Simply create and manage the task
strip.  Don't do anything else.  2) Don't change the screen size.  Instead, do
what NeXT did, allow the task strip to slide to the bottom of the screen so
that only the top icon is showing.  NeXT allows you to use that portion of the
screen and users want it.  There is no reason to amputate the display.  3) See
the MultiFinder that comes with SADE and figure out the trick of removing an
application's windows from the screen when it is swapped out.  NeXT does this
and so does MultiFinder.  You should too, compatibly I might add.  4) If you
want all the other features you incorporated into Black Box, make seperate
INITs for them.  That way things are more manageable and in the standard
Macintosh fashion, people can use the pieces they want and nothing more.

Otherwise you may find yourself the only user of the program you worked so
hard on and that doesn't do much for the piddly shareware fees you might have
gotten.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 89 01:57:21 -0500
From: earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: Custom WDEF example

This application demonstrates a custom 'WDEF' which allows for dynamic
resizing of the GrowIcon and Grow Image of the window.  This supports
scroll bars in other than the standard width of 16.  The 'WDEF' is
intended as a drop-in replacement for 'WDEF' 0 in the ROM and system
file.  The new features are implemented using an extension of the
WStateData record, and interfaces in C, Pascal, and Assembler are
included for use in programming for it.

Source code is available.

Earle R. Horton

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/custom-wdef-example.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 89 22:19:39 EST
From: chris@adms-rad.unisys.com (Chris Sterritt)
Subject: HaikuMaster stack

Hello,
	This is a fairly unusual, but fun hypercard stack.  It generates
'haiku' (fairly loose rules) randomly from words in its own dictionary.
	Must be Unstuff'd.  Enjoy!
	-- chris sterritt
	chris@adms-rad.unisys.com

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/haiku-master.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Nov 89 19:10:51 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hi-Low Laser Font

This is Hi-Low, a laser font which generates subscripted and
superscripted Times and Symbol characters.

I created the font primarily out of need, because most draw programs
do not allow superscripted or subscripted text (Cricket Draw is a
rare exception, but it is showing its age).  Equation processors
such as MathType, Expressionist, etc., could be used, but I wanted
a way to label points on a math drawing, such as x sub 1, without
resorting to an equation processor for each point.  Hi-Low can also
be used with a word processor.  A handy macro could be made (using
MacroMaker, QuicKeys, etc.) to switch to Hi-Low and another macro
could switch back to Times.

All Times Roman alphabetic characters and numbers can be
superscripted just by typing the normal character or shift-character
using the Hi-Low font.  They can be subscripted by including the
option key.  (So type "a" to have a superscripted "a", and type
"option"-"a" to have a subscripted "a".)  This means that the
characters normally available with the option key are not available.
Some of them have been shifted elsewhere, as well as most of the greek
letters and some symbols from the Symbol font.  I was guided by a
purely selfish motive--to include only those characters I myself have
had (or probably will have) cause to subscript or superscript,
particularly in math drawings.  Included with the screen and laser
fonts is a keyboard map (in Word 3 format), but I suggest you ignore
it and use the great PopChar INIT for entering the greek letters and
math symbols when they are needed.  I have only included screen fonts
for sizes 9 and 10 (I normally use size 9 for subscripts and
superscripts).  In order to use Hi-Low you will need to have Times and
Symbol fonts also available to your System.

This font was created with ParaFont.  I made Hi-Low primarily for my
own use, and am passing it along as freeware so that others
(particularly those working in Mathematics and related  fields) can
also use it.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-1804           ICBAL@ASUACAD.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/font/hi-low.hqx; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: 9 Nov 89 22:56:39 GMT
From: adobe!!bezanson@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Bezanson)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #194

>Date: Fri, 03 Nov 89 13:10:59 +0100
>From: HFPENAK%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
>Subject: adobe type manager
>
>Could anybody tell me if the adobe type manager is compatible with
>a grappler LQ interface ? Is it compatible with any software printer
>drivers for an Epson LQ printer ?Does the type manager work
>satisfactory on a 1 Meg machine ?
ATM does work with the Grappler LQ using the ImageWriter LQ driver. It is
also compatible with MacPrint and the other 3rd party <-> Epson drivers.
Adobe didn't directly do a lot of testing with these drivers, but the
driver vendors were BETA sites and reported no problems. ATM works on a
1 meg machine. How you use the word 'satisfactory' is dependant on how you
use the machine. ATM will need about 128K of RAM plus cache space (64K minimum).
After that your system and application can run. If they can run fine in these
limits, ATM will work fairly transparently. You'll see a slight delay as the
outline is loaded from disk and the characters are first created, but that
should be the 'worst' of the performance.

--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 16:45:46 PST
From: GPR001Y%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Need a XFCN

I am looking for a external function that will look at a stack and return a
value. The value would tell if the stack itself is locked (by the user on the
desktop, in the Get info box), if it is on a locked disk (floppy or otherwise)
and, if possible, the ammount of freespace on the disk where the target stack
is currently.
     If you know of an XFCN that will do this, please send me a message. Or,
if you would be willing to write one that will do the above, send me a message.
Thank you.
Mark R. Elpers
GPR001Y@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 89 09:54:28 EST
From: siegel@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: Official THINK C  scanf() patches

The attached binhex contains patches to fix bugs in the THINK C
ANSI library and a program to apply them.

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/think-c-scanf-patches.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 12:32:10 PST
From: trewitt@miasma.stanford.edu
Subject: Printing PostScript files from a Mac

Use the utility SendPS, archived on Sumex as info-mac/util/sendps-20.hqx.
This will also let you print text files, I beleive.  SendPS is provided
as a public service by Adobe Systems.
	- Glenn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 12:15:16 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Readable "Read Me" FIles/Standard Text Documentation

"Take a Letter" is indeed a neat application.  My copy says it was
written by Joel McNamara, Version 1.0, February 27, 1987, Copyright
1987, Watercourse Software, with address

     Watercourse Software
     P.O. Box 511273
     Salt Lake City, Utah  84151-1273

and is shareware with a $10 fee.

However, while a program like TeachText or Take A Letter is handy for
making a self-clickable file to introduce a novice user to some new
program, I don't see why the standard format for program
documentation, especially for anyone sophisticated enough to be
downloading or routinely acquiring new software, shouldn't be just
straight TEXT files, unless illustrations are essential in the
documentation.

Sure, it would be nice if Apple provided a simple text editor built
into the Mac System, but there are a dozen good DA editors routinely
available (MockWrite, miniWriter, JoliWrite, MicroEditor, Vantage,
McSink, SigmaEdit), and surely any regular Mac user has one of more of
these on his or her system.

Incidentally, one disadvantage of Take A Letter is that the resulting
self-clickable application files are quite a bit longer than the text
files they encapsulate -- a factor of 3 times in some cases.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 89 22:20:15 EST
From: chris@adms-rad.unisys.com (Chris Sterritt)
Subject: ResMaster DA

Hello,
	This is a desk accessory called ResMaster.  It allows viewing
and editing of a few resources directly, and the rest on a hex-or
char level.  Nice to have around when you don't want to dive into
ResEdit.
	Must be Unstuff'd.
	-- chris sterritt
	chris@adms-rad.unisys.com	(on Internet)

[Archived as /info-mac/da/res-master.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 12:38:04 PST
From: nardi@cs.nps.navy.mil (Peter Nardi)
Subject: Responses to WORD 4.0 pagination problem

  Not long ago I sent the following posting to info-mac looking for help
with a WORD 4.0 problem:

>Subject: Word 4.0 Pagination problem
>
>Here's the trouble:
>
>   I'm working, with an SE, on a document in Word 4.0.  When I use the style
>sheets I've created I can print the document on an ImageWriter with no
>problem.  When I take the document to school and open it on a IICX connected
>to a laserwriter, despite the fact that I use the same style sheets, the
>pagination of the document is completely different.  My 5 page document at
>home turns into just over 6 pages at school. One of the local experts tells me
>that the default number of lines per page on an ImageWriter is 66 and on a
>laserwriter it's 60 (unchangeable) and this is the cause of the problem.
>        If this is the case, how can I change the number of lines per page for
>my ImageWriter so that what I see at home will be what I get at school?  If
>this is not the problem, then what is?  I've tried the page setup menu with
>no luck. Thanks in advance

  The response I got was just terrific!  Thanks to everyone who helped.
Here is a partial list of some answers to the problem:

The deal is that the laser printer uses a different ruler than the
imagewriter...your margins become bigger and thus your document becomes
longer.  Fortunately, someone had the bright idea to alleviate this
problem...when you set up for printing on the imagewriter, check the
"tall adjusted" box (I think it is in the page setup box or maybe it is
called print setup...anyway, it is under the file menu and is in one of
those near the print command).  To change the setup of a file that has
already been written, you must actually start the print sequence to
change the settings for that file...take a file that you have, choose
"tall adjusted", then choose "print".  Let the process start, and then
hit command and period to stop the print...you should see the file
reformat before your eyes.  Then you can work on it in this correct
format, and it should be the same when you go to a machine hooked up to
a laser printer.

Try using the "Tall Adjusted" style in the ImageWriter setup box... this
format is, under most circumstances, compatible with the default LaserWriter
page setup.  You could also try using the "Larger print area" option in the
LaserWriter options dialog.

Well, your expert is a little bit right, but not really...  Here's the scoop.
The problem isn't in the number of *lines* the printer supports, but in the
spacing it uses.  Actually, the LW and IW don't even know what a line of text
is -- both are graphics oriented printers, they print bitmaps, not lines.
Think about it -- how meaningful is "60 lines" if those lines might be in 10
point or in 24 point, depending on the user?  But I digress...
  Your problem is in the way the IW and LW drivers handle spacing.  The LW
spacing is a bit tighter, and to make things more interesting, an "inch" to a
LW is a bit smalller than an "inch" to an IW!  The drivers for the IW and the
LW don't handle the different resolutions (72 dpi vs. 300 dpi) and imaging
models (QuickDraw vs. PostScript) in a completely transparent way.  Thus,
your problem is actually a "feature"!
  Rumor is that this inconsistency will be fixed in System 7.0, and all
printers will work alike.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Until then, your
solution is to put a LaserWriter driver on your system at home, and select
that, EVEN THOUGH YOU WON'T BE PRINTING TO A LW with that machine, when you
compose documents destined for an LW.  If you print drafts on your IW, the sad
truth is that the spacing will be just plain wrong, though.

What you need to do on you SE at home is drag a copy of the
Laserwriter driver and Prep files into your system folder and
then use the chooser to select Laserwriter which will fool
the Macintosh into thinking you really have a Laser printer.
You must also execute Page Setup and then your document will
be formated just like you're going to print from the CX.
Format it the way you want it and resave the file.  It should
be exactly the same when you open it back up with the CX.
Try to get the same version of the Laser files that you use
with your CX.

I had the same difficulty between an SE/Imagewriter and a II/Laserwriter.
The fix:
	1. Put a Laserwriter driver in your system folder on the SE.
	   The necessary drivers (I think there are two) are included
	   with MS Word.
	2. Open the chooser on the SE.  You will see both Imagewriter and
	   Laserwriter printer icons.  Select the Laserwriter printer icon.
	   Don't worry about the dialog that accompanies this choice (e.g.,
	   Appleshare must be active, etc.) because you really won't have
	   a Laserwriter attached, but MS Word will THINK you do.  Just
	   answer the questions as if you had a Laserwriter attached.
	3. Open your Word document.  Notice that in the Page Preview view
	   you will see more pages than before (like when you printed from
	   the IIcx).
	4. Adjust your Style sheets as necessary.
	5. Save your document either in normal form or as a Postscript dump.
	6. Take your document to the IIcx and you should be able to print
	   without difficulty.

The above steps allow you to save documents in a format that is WYSIWYG for
the Laserwriter on a machine (SE) that DOESN'T have a Laserwriter attached.
What you may not realize when you create your documents is that the application
knows what kind of printer the document will be output to by the choice made
in the Chooser, and the application makes formatting decisions based on the
printer chosen.  This subtlety can create alot of frustration since there are
cases (yours) when you may want to output to a different kind of printer.
You just have to fool the machine into thinking it will be outputing to that
printer.  Don't forget that you will have to re-select the Imagewriter icon in
the Chooser before you can print again from your home machine.

The problem is not different default number of lines, since macs are not line-
based systems, but character-based systems. You have run into a hardware
conflict: the laserwriter can't print the full width of the paper, and as a
result you have about 1/2 inch less width to print on than the imagewriter.
This explains why you have more pages when you print with the laserwriter than
with the image writer, since the laser writer will fit less characters per page
than the imagewriter will.

In addition, if the fonts you are using at home are not laserwriter fonts,
and you have font substitution checked, you may get a different number of
pages.

I keep my chooser set to laserwriter, even though I have an imagewriter
connected.  This allows me to see on screen the formatting and pagination which
will result when I print on the laserwriter. If I need imagewriter hard copy,
I temporarily set the chooser to imagewriter, print the document, and not
worry about pagination since I use the imagewriter to produce only drafts.

Besides, unless you install fonts into your system that are twice the size of
the fonts you use in your document, your imagewriter output, even at the best
setting, produces quite ugly copy.

the fix is VERY simple. Select the TALL ADJUSTED box in
the printer dialog box when you are working on the Imagewriter version.
This will make the Imagewriter-formatted paper have the same line breaks as
the Laserwriter formatted version. There is a bit of a problem with this.
The Imagewriter version will tend to run the words on a long line together.
In other words, as Word 4 modifies the spaces between words for justification,
the minimum size used is too small and will make the words look concatenated.
This is only a problem on the Imagewriter.

Expert?  EXPERT?  Ha!  HA!  [Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is
cluelessness masquerading as expertise.]

The problem is that Mac screen pixels are square (72dpi) but ImageWriter
pixels are not (72x80, if I remember correctly, slightly tall).  Setting
the "Tall Adjusted" box in Page Setup will result in the same spacing being
used for the Imagewriter (72x72) and will then translate to the square
aspect ratio of the 300x300 LW.

It is possible that the paper size is different, either in length (as you
were told), or width.  In any case, Word specifies the size of the margins
(which is based on paper width/length), and specifies paragraph indents
>From those margins.

If paper size differences are indeed the source of your problems, then you
can use Page Setup to adjust the margin size.  Unfortunately, you will have
to do this whenever you want to print on a different printer.  However, you
should be able to determine the differences once, and apply these to any
document that you want to print.

There is a simple fix that I and my local student Apple rep have come up with
that works in most of the cases.  As you ave found out, when you try to
edit/print a MS Word document (3.0x or 4.0) that was originally formatted for
a Imagewriter, they will do not look alike.  The solution for this is
to delve into the LaserWriter Page Setup command under the File menu and
click on the Options button.  Then click the check box for '4% reduction' on.
This should fix everything.  The reason explained to me by Mike Jordon (the
aforementioned rep) is that the imagewriter can be set up to print to a zero
margin, while the Laser can only go as close as a 3/8 in. margin (at least that
is as close as I have gotten with Word).  Word keeps the tab positions and
all of the other formatting codes in the same relative place, but the added
margins will cause your document to be cast all askew.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 23:45:58 SET
From: "Vincenzo G. Capuano" <CAPUANO%ICNUCEVM.CNUCE.CNR.IT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: serial driver

Hi,
I'm writing a driver that will replace the serial driver. It checks the
csCode and if it is a standard csCode it will pass it to the original
serial driver, if the csCode is a new (created by me) one, then it does
its own processing. My problem is that when the driver that replaces the
.AIn driver gets a csCode = 1 then it crashes. I haven't found any
reference to csCode = 1 in Inside Macintosh.

Would please someone how to resolve this ?

Thanks in advance.
Vincenzo G. Capuano
-----
capuano@icnucevm.cnuce.cnr.it

------------------------------

Date: 10 NOV 89 14:43:18 CST
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: STANDARD TEXT OUTPUT FOR README FILES

    A few weeks ago, I posted a message about the lack of standard
text output on the Macintosh for README files.  I compared how the
Mac reads these files and how the IBM, Atari ST, and Commodore
Amiga approaches the feat.  The latter systems do not go through
any program for such reads and handle the files rapidly.  In
comparison, the Mac requires a program to handle the reading, slowing
things down incredibly.  Secondly, many developers who at least
have the courtesy to include decent documentation, seem to use
whatever text processor that they have on hand, whether it be
Word, WriteNow, MacWrite, FullWrite, or TeachText.
    There is just no standard, amazing on a machine that is as
popular as the Macintosh.
    The lack of text standards is causing increasing problems as
the Mac integrates itself more and more into other computer world
environments.  An office worker who works in a multi-computer
environment is going to be in any mood other than trying to locate
the appropriate word processor to read a README file for the new
program that the office just purchased.  Admittedly, the problem
is becoming even worse since MacWrite is no longer bundled with
the Mac.  NOT EVERYBODY HAS MACWRITE.
    I received several letters from many who have Macs and many
who have the Mac emulators.  Obviously, those having the emulators
are the ones most frustrated since their systems, the Commodore
Amigas and the Atari STs have direct access to README files under
a standard text outputter.  When the users of these machines use
a real Mac or a Mac emulator, it is frustating to them to have to
use or dig up a text processor to read a simple README file when
normally, their computers can read these files directly.
    A universal reaction from all, those on emulators and those on
real Macs concerned the lack of a standard.  One new Macintosher
does not have MacWrite and has several files that she can't read.
She was given a list of PD/SHAREWARE text processors that can
read these: MockWrite, SigmaEdit, MiniWriter.
    Sounds like a real mess...
    For what it is worth, here is a track toward a solution:

1) Do what Apple says, use TeachText. It comes bundled with the Mac.
2) Or, use stand alone text.  An excellent utility that can create
   such a README file is DOCter v2.35.  Painless, quick and it can
   mix graphics with the text body.  Also, it has an option allowing
   the user to print the body to the printer or the disk.  The
   options don't get in the way, either.  It is shareware.
3) Someone in the 'know' suggest to the Macintosh system developers
   to burn TeachText into the OS so that a user can merely click
   on a README file.  An option alert box immediately asks the user
   if he wants to view the file on the screen or if he wants it
   dumped to the printer.  No document processor acts as a go-between
   at all.

    I really appreciate the Mac interface and environment.  Admittedly,
I run an Atari ST with the Spectre GCR Macintosh emulator and enjoy
the Mac world.  My only regret is that, as an Amigan friend wrote me:

"And I thought that I was the only person to notice the rather glaring
flaw.  I run an amiga with mac emulation, and yes, amiga documentation
can be read without any program."

    My only other regret is that I can't afford a real Mac, the Mac IIci
is my dream....!  Many thanks for allowing me to post this and I regret
any waste of bandwidth space.

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 14:17:51 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SuperPaint Plug-in Problems

I am having a serious problem with SuperPaint 2.0 that I hope someone can
help me with. We purchased an educational site license for our Macintosh
Appleshare file server. The problem is that the plug-in tools don't work.
When they are placed in the SP Pouch folder in the application's folder,
launching Superpaint causes a new SP Pouch to be created in the boot disk's
System Folder. Because of the limited amount of space on the floppy boot
disks, we cannot install the plug-ins in the System Folder - they MUST be
on the file server for use to take advantage of them.

The documentation indicates that the SP Pouch can be anywhere on the disk
and SuperPaint will find it. With SuperPaint and the plug-ins installed
on a local hard disk, everything works perfectly, but the copy on the
network ignores its SP Pouch completely. Silicons Beach's tech support
was not very much help - their only suggestion was to put the plug-ins
into the System Folder.

Does anyone have a possible solution to this problem? I'd hate to give up
on the plug-in tools - they have a lot of potential.

Bob Bolt                   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre  CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta      AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 14:53:01 EST
From: Clare Durst <CCD%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 and 2-floppy macs

In May of 87 we installed an Appleshare network in the deans' office;
it's grown to about 25 macs. Preponderance is 2-floppy SEs but there
are some Pluses as well.  80 meg server.  Works great.  It's the nature
of our office that a) assignments of deans to various projects changes
frequently; and b) most deans (or their secretaries) aren't interested
in the "finer points" of how things work.  All work is kept on the server
and backed up frequently. However, apparently we won't be able to use
System 7 (and the outline fonts, in particular) because the word is that
it won't fit on a single floppy.  More memory I don't mind buying but
hard disks for everyone I don't WANT to buy - it will encourage the
"exclusive" ownership of files I *WANT* to have shared.
   Has any guru thought of this?  Any possibility of having a shared
folder ON THE SERVER (or the 2nd floppy drive) of inits and cdevs?
I'd welcome thoughts on this.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 14:43 EST
From: WATTS@urhep
Subject: Think C 4.0 + OOPs + Code Resource -- Why not.

Hi y'all,
  Tell me, why can't you use oops style programming in a code resource in
Think C 4.0?  If I am writing a code resource, the compile sais that object
definitions are illegal.  Does Think C install some special sort of start-up
routine, or what?

	Gordon.

BITNET: WATTS@UORHEP
ARPANET: gwatts@ruthep.rutgers.edu
USMAIL:	Gordon Watts
	Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
	University of Rochester
	Rochester, NY
	14627-0011

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89  12:29:40 EST
From: 3puppy%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Weird Mac Crash

Greetings:

  About 10 minutes ago, I was typing a message to someone using my modem
on the UMass mainframe (as I am doing now).  All of a sudden, my screen
flipped out!  I looked at the modem, and the connection had been lost.  I
pressed the programmer's interupt switch on my Mac Plus.....nothing......
Then I pressed the reboot switch, and NOTHING......I reached around the
the back of the mac.... turned it off... waited 5 seconds, turned it back
on, and it didn't beep like it should!!  The screen was still screwed up,
and the hard drive started making crazy sounds.  I repeated the process of
turning it off, waiting, and turning it on several time with no success!
Just for fun, I turned it off, lightly tapped my mac on all sides, turned
it on and BEEP!  Everything worked fine!  I haven't turned it off, since
then, and I don't know if I want to...  Anybody experience this before??

                                                                        -John

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 12:58:33 EST
From: zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston)
Subject: Yet another Black Box problem area

We've found an interesting bug here.  BB does not seem to clear the low-core
"finder arguments" cell before doing the launch.  So, if you launch an
application manually from the desktop by double-clicking one of its documents,
then launch a second application from the BB icon strip, the second app gets
the same arguments as the first!  Many apps ignore arguments that do not
apply to them so the problem is often masked.  If you're trying to duplicate
this problem, make the second app ResEdit which can open ANY kind of file.

End of Info-Mac Digest