Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/18/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 17 Nov 89       Volume 7 : Issue 204

Today's Topics:
                      ARE THERE PL/I COMPILER ?
  Bug in BlackBox prevents printing Word files under Multifinder on
                        Combining Binhex Files
                        Cricket Graph updates
                               GatorBox
                           Hardwire PC->Mac
                        Hear, hear, Jon Pugh!
                         Help my use Preview.
                             HP Think Jet
                     HyperCard reports and charts
                       imagewriter driver Bug?
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #200
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #201
                     Mac+ to modem cable results
                      Man Saves Choking Mac IIcx
                     Monitoring Laserwriter usage
                          PackIT/.PIT files
                          Shimmering Screens
                        Superpaint 2.0 problem
      telecomm program supporting meta key/mouse/window resize?
                         White Knight Crashes
       Why can't the Macintosh adopt a standard text output...

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: WED, 15 NOV 89 11:17:51 JST
From: "T.YOSHIDA" <CI9496%JPNSUT30.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ARE THERE PL/I COMPILER ?

 I'm a Japanese Mac'er.In Japan,there are a few Mac'ers,and I have no
Mac'er friends.I want many friends!

 I'm a colledge student.I'm now builting a program with PL/I compiler
on IBM-3090 in our colledge.But I want to built on my Macintosh Plus.
 Do you know the PL/I compiler which can run on Mac(Plus) ?
If you know about it,plese send me E-mails.

                                            THANK YOU!

Toshiaki Yoshida :CI9496 at JPNSUT30:BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 08:48:15 EST
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: Bug in BlackBox prevents printing Word files under Multifinder on

I, too, like BlackBox 1.5, but cannot print from Word 4.0 on an Appletalk-
shared LaserWriter.  The Word window becomes un-highlited (top border lines
disappear) and it sits there with pointer for mouse-cursor & does nothing.
Same thing when I try printing from Page Preview or when I try Page Setup...
Luckily I guessed that command-period would cancel me out of that hang-up,
which it did.

I *can* print from HyperCard to the AppleTalk-shared LaserWriter with BB1.5.
I was surprised and bewildered at that.

My system is 6.0.3, finder 6.1, MacSE, 4 meg Ram, 20 megHD, several inits...

Also note with BlackBox, the curly quotes aren't acceptable as quotes in
HyperTalk scripts, so must be turned off when scripting.

* Jim Henry                     * Chemical Engineering               *
* JHENRY at UTCVM  (BITNET)     * School of Engineering              *
* (615) 755-4398 (office)       * UTC                                *
* (615) 886-4398 (home)         * Chattanooga, Tennessee  37403      *
* (615) 755-4025 (FAX)          * U.S.A.                             *

    /  /  /| /|    /_/
 ^_/  /  / |/ |   / / etc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 20:40:13 EST
From: Alan Stein <STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Combining Binhex Files

  Can anyone point me to a utility for recombining Binhex (hqx) files
before decoding them.  I have some files (OzTeX) which are too large
to fit into memory but must be recombined before I can run Binhex
on them before unstuffing them.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 09:28 EST
From: <SAPER%HUXTAL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Mark A. Saper)
Subject: Cricket Graph updates

I'm not sure if this has been in here before:

Cricket Graph 1.3 seems to have some bugs in fitting a straight line
through a set of points.  Call 800-531-5236 for an update Version 1.3.1 .
You will need your registration number.

Dr. Mark A. Saper                                        Phone: (617) 495-5043
Harvard University                                   Facsimile: (617) 495-9613
7 Divinity Ave.                                BitNet: SAPER@HUXTAL.BITNET
Cambridge, MA 02138                          InterNet: saper@xtal0.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date: 14 Nov 89 13:43:00 PDT
From: bigos@curie.Stanford.EDU
Subject: GatorBox

I am interested in hearing about anyone's experience in using a GatorBox.
I am interested in it both as an AppleTalk <-> TCP/IP bridge and as a protcol
translator for NFS.

-Marty Bigos
Genetics
bigos@curie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89  13:18:47 EST
From: Damian%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Hardwire PC->Mac

Hi,
I'm interested in transfering les from a PC (Leading Edge) to the
Mac (SE/30) with just a cable.  The machines are sitting right next
to each other and transfering stuff this way would make like a lot
easier.  Anybody know any cheap (>$200) way of doing this?

Damian Roskill
Consultant
University of Mass., Amherst
damian@mars.ucc.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 10:42 CST
From: <KGUNN%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hear, hear, Jon Pugh!

I would like to add my heartfelt agreement to Jon Pugh's comments about
INITS and specific simplicity. I have had some problems with Black Box as
well, mostly frustrating crashes when I try to switch applications using
the task strip. I take this in stride, since I often have problems with
INIT compatibility. I run over 60 INITs and have three rows of icons now
and I switch things around daily. For a user like me the solution is to
do as Jon Pugh suggests and use simple, single task INITs to build a
system with just the things I want. I do not recommend this life to
everyone, though.
I feel that the concept of Black Box is a great one for certain users.
Andrew Welch is to be commended for hard work and patience over what I am
sure was many a late night session on his Macintosh. Black Box may be
best used _by itself_ as the all-purpose INIT it is intended to be. I am a
technology support person at the University of Tennessee, and most users
I meet are not running many inits at all, and in such a situation a reliable
version of Black box would be a very useful tool. It should be encouraging
to Andrew Welch that so many folks have taken Black Box out for a test
drive and driven it to its limits. I hope he can eradicate most of the
bugs thus discovered and release a new version which will be useful to
those who want to use it as it was intended.
This is not intended to be a negative comment on the power user who is
frustrated with programs like Black Box. I just felt a word needed to
be said in support of both simple INITs which can work with many others
and also quality products like Black Box which combine some of the best
features of the shareware world in one easy to use program for the user
who does not need any more complication than is absolutely necessary. I
think it is great to see more sophisticated programs coming out of the
shareware realm, and I feel that there is a place for both these grand
smorgasboard programs as well as the clear cut INITs. Perhaps not together
on the same system, though. Different strokes for different folks. Hear,
hear, Jon Pugh; Great work, Andrew Welch.

#     Wm. Knox Gunn                         #
#     Macintosh Technical Support           #  DISCLAIMER:
#     Apple Technical Coordinator           #  UT knows nothing of this!
#     University of Tennessee, Memphis      #  Nor does it care to.
#     KGunn@UTMEM1                          #
P.S. Could Mark 3/Andrew Welch perhaps cut Black Box features up into
simple bits for those of us who want parts of it but not the whole at once?
(e.g. Blackout as the screen saver part, Cmdr. Dialog as the fkeys part
only the other features like a task strip at the bottom of the screen?)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 00:49 EST
From: V131JTVH@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: Help my use Preview.

I just downloaded the Print Previewer to my Mac the other day, but have not
had any luck using it.  I put it in my system folder and selected it in the
chooser.  Once I try to print something in WriteNow I get nothing, I tried
using the finder and printing a catalog of my disk, that didn't work either.

Can anyone help me.

Thanks in advance

Rich (V131JTVH@UBVMS)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 11:31 EDT
From: LANCE WARE <WLW2286%RITVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HP Think Jet

What is the best way to interface an HP Think Jet to a Mac IIci?
I used to have a Compaq 386 Deskpro, but when I got rid of it I kept the printer
   and I would like to use it with my Mac until I can get a Laser Writer.
Lance

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 03:48:52 CST
From: jamal <JM24747%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard reports and charts

Are there, as I feel sure there must be, HyperCard utilities or
XCMDs for summary reports and chart generation??
muchos gracias in advance.
jamal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 13:34:28 EST
From: IO81129%MAINE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: imagewriter driver Bug?

     I have just noticed some strange output on dot matrix printers that use th
e imagewriter driver.  Every once in a while, i.e. about every other page, a
 whole line of text tends to get squished in the vertical direction.  It's fine
 horizontally but vertically it's kinda kooky.  I've observed this behaviour on
 a friends imagewriter and my epson+ patcher.  Both were running system 6. what
erever.
     Has anyone else had this happen?   Does anyone have a suggestion, patch or
 whatever?

     Thanks for any help,
     Mark Rousseau IO81129 at MAINE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 00:28:30 EST
From: JAYMS%CUNYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #200

Does anyone know where I can get a list of application, init, & any
other incompatabilities with the Mac IIci? I have several programs that
crash ( Macterminal for one ) and wonder what other problems to expect.
Thanks. I'd appreciate a direct email response.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 12:01:50 EST
From: jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #201

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 14:53:01 EST
>From: Clare Durst <CCD%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject: System 7 and 2-floppy macs
>
>In May of 87 we installed an Appleshare network in the deans' office;
>it's grown to about 25 macs. Preponderance is 2-floppy SEs but there
>are some Pluses as well.  80 meg server.  Works great.  It's the nature
>of our office that a) assignments of deans to various projects changes
>frequently; and b) most deans (or their secretaries) aren't interested
>in the "finer points" of how things work.  All work is kept on the server
>and backed up frequently. However, apparently we won't be able to use
>System 7 (and the outline fonts, in particular) because the word is that
>it won't fit on a single floppy.  More memory I don't mind buying but
>hard disks for everyone I don't WANT to buy - it will encourage the
>"exclusive" ownership of files I *WANT* to have shared.
>   Has any guru thought of this?  Any possibility of having a shared
>folder ON THE SERVER (or the 2nd floppy drive) of inits and cdevs?
>I'd welcome thoughts on this.

  First off, if the absolute bare minimum System 7.0 won't fit on a single
floppy (at least 800k ones, the 1.4M ones might be a different story), you're
already nothing you can do.  I haven't heard anything definite yet, but I
know I have difficulty putting a decent 6.0.3 System on 1 disk, and with all
they are supposed to be adding, it really wouldn't surprise me if a hard disk
and 2 Megs of RAM was the new minimum configuration.  Speaking of fonts
specifically, again, at least I have no idea of how large they will be.  Will
they be small, because all those large bitmaps don't have to be stored, or
will they be large, because a single font file has to have the information
to be able to generate any point size?
  On the prospects of sharing inits. cdevs, da's, etc., from what I read
about System 7.0, i think it should be possible.  7.0 has two
changes/improvements.  First, inits, cdevs, etc. are located in specific
folders in the System Folder.  A deks accessory is supposed to be to be
dropped in a DA folder and be accessible immediately (I think it could
also be double clicked).  Second, 7.0 supports alias file, ie. unix
links.  So, theoretically, what you could do is create an alias from
a CDEV folder on your floppy to one on an AppleShare volume.  Also do
this for inits, da's, fonts, etc.  Then make sure AppleShare is the first
init that is run at boot time.  When it goes to your INIT folder to find
ones to run, it should see the ones on the AS volume.
  Of course, it's also possible that this may not work, or specifically
be prevented from working.  I believe they already prevented (or at least
discourage) system switching to AppleShare volumes, so they may not want
something liek this doable either.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 18:56 EST
From: CORNELL@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Mac+ to modem cable results

Here is the result (i.e. what worked for *me*) of my request
for help with wiring a Mac+ to modem (special thanks to Ben
Cranston):

Macintosh Plus to modem (or other DCE device):

  DIN 8 Male                            DB25 MALE

       GROUND 4 O--+--------------------O 7  GROUND
  RECV DATA + 8 O--+
  XMIT DATA - 3 O-----------------------O 2  TD
HANDSHAKE OUT 1 O--+                 +--0 6  DSR
HANDSHAKE  IN 2 O--+-----------------+--O 20 DTR
  RECV DATA - 5 O-----------------------O 3  RD

The '+' characters each other mean connect the signals/pins
together.

Other configurations may be needed for different modems (I'm
using a Practical Peripherals PM2400SA).

Note: By trial and error I found some modems, even though
they support the same protocols (BELL 212A, etc) couldn't
connect to certain other brands of modems, probably due to
variations in component qualities and tolerances. (Not to
knock Zoom but their 2400 modem couldn't connect to about
30% of the modems at our site. My advice is make sure you
can get a refund and test thoroughly when you buy one.)

Thanks for all the responses!

matthew cornell

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 13:00:50 est
From: Rocky_Olive@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: Man Saves Choking Mac IIcx

CEO file contents:
      For the past 3 months I've been running this program, and it finally
   ended.  (running on a 1 Mb Mac IIcx)
         do while (lowest_one_meg_simm_cost > 100)
            {
            for (i = 0; i < max_simm_sellers; i++)
               {
               phone_call(simm_seller[i]);
               one_meg_simm_cost[i] = get_simm_price(simm_seller[i]);

               if (one_meg_simm_cost[i] < lowest_one_meg_simm_cost)
                  {
                  lowest_one_meg_simm_cost = one_meg_simm_cost[i];
                  dealer = i;
                  }
               }
            wait(two_weeks);
            }

         phone_call(simm_seller[dealer]);
         order(4, one_meg_simm);

      Anyway, I bought 4 1-Meg SMD, 80ns SIMMs at $97 each.  I get a 30 day
   MBG, and a lifetime warranty.  They were real helpful when they accidently
   shipped short 2 SIMMs; they sent the other 2 to me next day air, even though
   I originally paid for UPS ground shipment!  The company?  SOUTH COAST
   ELECTRONICS, 1-800-289-8801, in L.A., CA.  (If you do call them, ask for
   Mark Pringle, the Mac man).  I don't have any connection to SCE, I'm just
   very happy that my Mac is taking nice DEEP breaths!  Bring on System 7.0!!!
.Rockford L. Olive......         INTERNET: <rocky_olive@dgc.mceo.dg.com>
..Data General Corp.....         AMERICA ONLINE: Rocky O
...Technology  Drive....         COMPUSERVE: 72500,2345
....Apex,  NC   27502...
.....919/362-4800x5392..         #define OS2 NULL
......919/362-4914 home.         #define DISCLAIMER "It just slipped out."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 89 16:06:10 EST
From: David_S._Allan@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Monitoring Laserwriter usage

We are in the process of expanding our departmental PhoneNet network.
We currently have five laserwriters and about 35 nodes connected.
Our major network traffic is printing.  We do not currently support
file sharing or mail, though we hope to add that in the future.

We are concerned with a possible increase in frivolous laserwriter usage
when we expand the network access to the rest of the department.  We
would like to find some kind of utility that will:

   o  Allow us to restrict access (password or other means) to the
      laserwriters.

   o  Allow us to monitor laserwriter usage on a node-by-node basis,
      for recharging or to generate statistics on laserwriter usage.

Surely many are facing this problem.  What kinds of utilities are
available?  Any public domain solutions?  You can respond directly
to me and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks for your help.

David_Allan@ub.cc.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 14:28:32 est
From: Bruce_Kahn@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: PackIT/.PIT files

CEO summary:
  I have what is probably an easy question to answer but Im at an
impass.  Ive retrieved some files from SUMEX-AIM and unBinHex'd them
to find that they are .PIT (or PackIT) files.  I cant seem to find
this program anywhere in the archives.  Am I missing it or can
someone tell me more about .PIT files and where I can get a un/packer
for them?  Thanks in advance.

                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

[You can use StuffIt 1.5.1 to unpack PIT files. There's a menu command under
 Other to do this. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 14:44:15 -0500
From: DXANDY%widener.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Shimmering Screens

  Does anyone know what is making my Mac+ screen shimmer?!?  When I turn the
computer on, the screen experiences some horizontal instability.  For example,
if I had a vertical line on the screen, it would appear "ragged" and make
rapid "shimmering" motions, of about one pixel in either direction.  A vertical
line however, would not have any noticiable distortion.
  When the computer has been on for about five minutes, the problem seems to
resolve itsself.  I had the power supply replaced about seven or eight months
ago.  I would take back to the store, but the technicians there are about as
much use as a lead life jacket.
  Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew J. Greenshields [dxandy@widener.BITNET]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89  13:24:23 EST
From: Damian%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Superpaint 2.0 problem

I think I have found a rather bad bug in Superpaint 2.0.

After scanning a picture using the Apple Scanner, and saving the file
as a PICT, I load it into Superpaint.  The picture was scanned as a
Halftone.  I can load it into Superpaint perfectly the first time, but
when I do ANY editing on it and quit the program, Superpaint refuses
to reopen the file.  It claims it is running out of memory (unlikely in
my case with a 5meg Mac II, in Finder).  The files can be of just about
any size, from 120K to 600K.  Anybody else experienced this bug and
maybe know a fix?  If I scan the picture as LineArt, it works fine, but
Halftone stuff is so much nicer.....

Thanks in advance,
Damian Roskill
Consultant
Univserity of Mass., Amherst
damian@mars.ucc.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 19:20 EST
From: CORNELL@cs.umass.edu
Subject: telecomm program supporting meta key/mouse/window resize?

Hi.

I've been doing much remote programming at home on my mac+ using
NinjaTerm 0.962 for VT100 terminal emulation. I'm connecting to an
Ultrix (UNIX) machine running the (excellent) GNU programs gnumacs,
gcc, bison, etc. My problem is Ninjaterm, in spite of its great value
(it's free) lacks some very desirable features. I would appreciate
anyone telling me of programs that suport (with the host's knowledge):

- the 'meta'/option key
- resizable windows
- the mouse

(Is that ALL!?) I don't know whether the VT100 specification allows
these but I've yet to find a program that supports them AND can tell
the host about it.  Kermit has a menu for Meta and Option but I don't
know how to get UNIX to realize it. Ditto for resizing windows.

Since I also work at school with MacII's connected via Ethernet, and
since the UNIX machines have XWindow, one possibility would be (I
think) getting an XWindow terminal program for the MacOS, if one
exists.

I'd be very glad to get any advise on this matter.
Thanks in advance.

matthew cornell

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 01:50:52 EST
From: Michael Kazlow <KAZLOWF%PACEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: White Knight Crashes

I have been having a problem with White Knight (the Red Ryder upgrade).
When connected to my university's IBM 4300 series mainframe running CMS,
I have been have repeated crashes of White Knight.  They occur when listing
the Info-Mac digests (Horrors) in the Mail program.  It also occurs
when the digests are listed using the Type command.  The crashes always
occur on the same line of the digest.  The crashes do not occur when
using Microphone II.  The author of the White Knight is trying to track
down the problem for me, but so far no luck.  Has anyone on the net
experienced a similar problem?  If so please let me know the particulars.
It may help in trying to track down the problem.

My email address is Michael Kazlow
                    KAZLOWF@PACEVM (Bitnet)
 From the computer of: Michael Kazlow (Bitnet: KAZLOWF@PACEVM)

------------------------------

Date: Tue 14 Nov 89 21:52:51-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@hamlet.stanford.edu>
Subject: Why can't the Macintosh adopt a standard text output...

>Is there a reason why developers of user-friendly software should not be
>user-friendly otherwise?

Of course not.  Anyone who includes a README file that can't be displayed
by the app itself, and that isn't plain text or a TeachText document, hasn't
thought about what he or she is doing.  In fact, applications shouldn't have
README files at all, if possible, but documentation that can be displayed
>From within the app.  This isn't always possible, but it's much more
convenient.

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU