Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/05/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  4 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 214

Today's Topics:
                        Abaton shrinking size
                  Answers to 2 programming questions
                   Anyone know of an Auditing Init
                          Apple Share PC II
                           Cross assemblers
                Defaults,ResEdit & BIG SCREENS for SE
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #211
              Info-Mac Digest V7 #212 [MacNFS (summary)
                           Low cost memory
                Mac applications for the blind request
                     Mathematical Word Processing
                  Microsoft Word or Hardware problem
                             Mighty Nerd
                      MS Word 4.0, Ready Set Go!
                           Network Plotter
              Page numbering, How do I get rid of the 1?
                    removable cartridge HD systems
                 reply 1st page numbering in Word 4.0
                               Systems

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 10:41:52 EST
From: Jim Kenyon <TGHVET%vm.utcs.utoronto.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Abaton shrinking size

I've just installed an Abaton 300FB on a 2.5meg SE under 6.02 and
using C-Scan 1.0.  The system has been working for about two weeks and
suddenly gives me an error....not enough memory on the drive.  This is
with 12 meg left on a LaCie 140.  It will allow me to scan an 8x10, but
not a letter size sheet.

Last night, after downloading a few things, the available space on the
LaCie is 9 meg...and I now can only scan a 5x7 sheet and the same error
comes up with the 8x10!

Is it checking for a percentage of free space rather than the actual free
space?  Any other theories?  At this rate, I'll be able to do postage
stamps by the weekend!

Any thoughts to tghvet@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca and I will summarize back
to the list.

Jim Kenyon                          NetNORTH:  tghvet@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca
Director, Veterinary Services       CONNECT:   MacVET
The Toronto Hospital
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1989 09:21:35 CST
From: Michael Hanrahan <C09615MH%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Answers to 2 programming questions

Hi,
   There were two programming questions in the last Info-Mac which
(for a change) I think I can answer.  The first one dealt with
using the serial port & writing out to a modem.  As one might expect,
the Mac deals with the ports as files.  In order to send characters
out the ports, you need to write to a "file reference number."  The
only difference is before doing so, instead of using Standard File
to point the reference number at a disk file, you use the following
routines:

  Routine Name               Description                     IM-page
  SerReset        resets & configures communication parms
                  for the specified port                      II-250
  SerSetBuf       tells the File Manager how big a buffer
                  you want to use for the port                II-251
  SerHShake       lets you set XON/XOFF type things           II-251

Once you've configured a port, you can read from it by using SerGetBuf
to find out how many characters are waiting in the buffer, then read
out those characters.

The second question dealt with drawing the "default" outline around
a button.  In short, there's no flag you can set to have the Control
Manager do this when it draws the button.  You have to do it yourself
by performing the following steps:

       1) get the rectangle for the "bare" button
       2) use InsetRect with negative numbers to "outset" that rectangle
       3) set the pen width to 3 pixels
       4) use FrameRoundRect to draw the round rectangle frame
       5) viola! - a default outline around the button

In a related question, has anyone figured out a way to insure their
default outline *stays* around the button?  If a screen saver kicks in,
once the screen is redrawn, if no special efforts are made, your outline
is gone (the controls & the dialog are redrawn 'cuz their managers take
care of the update event).  Does the main program's routine for
handling update events need to contain extra code for dialogs as well
or can one intercept that event conveniently in a dialog filter function?

Thanks...

Michael Hanrahan
ECS Computing Clinic
Washington University
St. Louis, MO 63130

------------------------------

Date: 29 Nov 89 18:38:19 GMT
From: usenet@paris.ics.uci.edu
Subject: Anyone know of an Auditing Init

ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@star.stanford.edu writes:

>I am looking for an auditing program.  A program that logs the amount of
>time selected applications are used.  Does anyone know of such a beast?
>(public domain or otherwise).

I have seen an INIT called Logger. It is shareware $10 from:

Ricardo Batista
3440 Lebon Drive #4307
San Diego, CA 92122
(619) 587-0623

It will not keep track of when a user went to lunch but still left
Microsoft Word running. It will log when the Mac is started, retarted,
when each program is launched (including the Finder), etc. It used
it long enough to see that, yes, it does work, but I have no need for
that kind of auditability so I don't use it regularly. I remember that
it is totally transparent in operation. In fact, you need to remember
to periodically purge the log file to keep it from bloating to gargantuan
proportions. I think a monthly archive makes sense.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 13:47:44 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: Apple Share PC II

I'm having problems with Apple Share PC II.  The setup is a PS2/50 attached
to a token ring network, a Mac II with an early release of the internet
router connecting the token ring with local talk.  After installing
the ASPC II the da runs but no services are visible.  Possibly I need
an updated version of the router?  Anyone have the same arrangement and
having success??
Acknowledge-To: <C4898@UMSLVMA>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 15:28 CST
From: SCHACHTER@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu
Subject: Cross assemblers

Has anyone out there heard of/seen/written any cross assemblers for the
Macintosh?  I am most interested in the Intel 8080 family of processors
(believe it or not), but would like to see any examples that anyone has.
Source code most appreciated!

Please respond to me directly.  If there is sufficient interest, I will
summarize.

                                                Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 08:49:47 PST
From: JMUELLER%PPC.MFENET@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Defaults,ResEdit & BIG SCREENS for SE

Ahoy the Net!
The engineer with 6.02E23 questions and few answers is on the line again!

My newest questions to the crew of the good ship Info-Mac are:
A)      Defaults, or AAARGH! Why wont you stay where I PUT you!
This is more for my wife, who it annoys more than it does me.
I know of some programs that let you set up your own default settings
so you dont have to click all the check boxes you normally use each
time you run it. But, is there some way to do the same thing to System
Stuff like the LaserWriter Page Setup dialog box, or to select a different
button to bear the heavy border/hit Return honor? I don't think I'm a neo
at ResEdit (I ain't afraid of no Icon...) but I havn't found a Resource
that explicitly says "Yo! This means select for default!" or maybe I'm just
lacking the right Template. (ResEdit 1.3d1)
By the way, ResEdit 1.3d1 DOES have a font editor, doesn't it? Every time
I try to open a font, "The aplication ResEdit 1.3d1 has unexpectedly quit."
Maybe it's just me.
B)      Have there been comprehensive reviews of disk-locking software
in the general press? I'm usually pretty thorough, but I may have missed
it. I am looking for a good, simple, reliable, non-intrusive, COMMERCIAL
disk locking software. The manager I am hunting this down for does not
need encription capability, just the ability to password lock his hard
disk so nobody messes around with it off hours (read: cleaning crew).
The Muzzler looks too cumbersome and a key lock disk scheme may get
misplaced too easily. I have shown him the shareware items LockDisk
and DriveLock, but it is not the Lab's policy to support "ShareWare"
nor do they trust any item without a package or purchase order. It's
hard enough getting anything without Microsoft or Apple on it.
oops.
C)      Awright, what's the poop on Tech Note 31? Was the item recently
posted as TN31 actually Apple's April Fool effort? Wether it was or not,
we enjoyed it very much. Moof!
D)      Can one rig Facade 1.0 so it will use a particular ICN# for any
volume bearing PART of a name?
ie:volumes named Comic Book File 09-89, Comic Book File 10-89 and
Comic Book File 11-89 all bear the icon of a comic book.
I tried the old * as wild-card trick to no success.
E)      A while ago (Info-Mac V7 #193) I had posted a question concerning
experience with the new crop of low-cost "two-page" monitors for the
Mac SE like the Ehman. Here is the summary of replies:

Nil, zippo, none, naught, see also:the null set.

I assume this means nobody has tried these cheapo screens. Oh well, someone
has to be first.
F)      I cannot recall if there actually was any replies to the person
who asked about converting ICONs to ICN#s & back. I just found out while
making ICN#s for Facade that ResEdit's MacPaint-like Cut & Paste will work,
but you don't select the ICON or ICN# in the box. You open the ICN# or ICON
and select the bitmap using the marquee (is that spelled right?). You get
THAT by holding down the Shift key. Once it's selected, you copy or cut,
close the editing window, go to the resource you want to paste it into,
choose New, and Paste it in. Presto! Going TO an ICN# means you have to
generate a mask, but that's in the menu under ICN#.
G)      AND FINALLY (Hooray, they cried!)
Has anyone heard if TOPS is going to change over to AFP now that PSN is
coming out already compatible with AFP? I know of several intrested
customers who have been shying away from TOPS since it is not
"AppleShare Compatible"(flourish of strumpets).

That's all, folks.
Awaiting replys with baited ...um...mail service.

Ad Astra!
Jim Mueller     JMUELLER@PPC.MFEnet                     via MFEnet
                JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@NMFECC.LLNL.GOV     via Internet
                JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@LBL.Bitnet          via Bitnet

Princeton Plasma Physics Lab
Where Fusion is a way of Life!

DICLAIMER:      Lies! All Lies!
                These are obviously the ravings of a deranged personality.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 11:25 PST
From: MDIEHR@hmcvax.claremont.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #211

Subj: Want to convert 500 slides to Laser Disk format.

Does anyone know of any companies that will take 35mm slides (about 500 of
them) and put them on a laserdisk (possibly with a short sound segment
with each slide)???  About how much would this cost?   Would it be sig-
nificantly cheaper if I put the slides on videotape and gave them the tape?
(This is not for a comercial project--just in-house training materials)
Thanks for your help.
Mike Diehr
Bitnet: Mdiehr@hmcvax
IN:  "mdiehr@hmcvax.claremont.edu"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 08:46:24 EST
From: Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #212 [MacNFS (summary)

> MacNFS has been developed by people from the University of
> Michigan, and APPLE itself was so interested in that product
> that it acquired the rights to MacNFS.

In fact, the work was done under contract to Apple so Apple was
involved from the beginning and didn't enter the game after the
fact.
---
Gavin Eadie, The University of Michigan Computing Center

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 11:13:23 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Low cost memory

A recent message in Info-mac asked for information on cheap RAM. The best
price that  have seen is from the Chip Merchant - they have been advertising
in MacWeek for $79 per meg. This is 80ns Fast Page ram, which should work
with everything, including the IIci. The Chip Merchant is located in San
Diego and the number is 800-426-6375. They offer a 5 year guarantee, but
I do not know how good the chips are or how good their support is.

Speaking of fast page RAM, does anyone know what that means? I have heard
that it is a requirement for RAM in a Mac IIci. Just another buzz word
or is this a special type of RAM?

Bob Bolt                   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre  CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta      AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 15:30 EST
From: MARK 'YANKIEKIWI' DODD <S71DDOD@toe.towson.edu>
Subject: Mac applications for the blind request

Hi all,
        I am requesting any public domain or demo programs that are
designed to assists the blind.  I know of the Apple Closeview that
enlarges the screen for those who are partially blind. I also
remember seeing a program that works in conjunction with Macintalk
so that when you choose a menu option it tells you what the choice was.

        Does anyone know where I could find this program or something
like it?

        Just for the background, I am doing a research paper for
my university class and I would like to demonstrate some programs
that aid the blind or partially blind in using a Macintosh.

Thank you in advance.
Mark.

P.S. I need this information as soon as possible.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 15:24:20 EST
From: IB031BU <IB031BU%TCUAMUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mathematical Word Processing

I am an academic mathematician/statistician.  For the past ten years,
I have used Waterloo Script on IBM mainframes for my wordprocessing
needs.  For the past three years, I have used the Waterloo Script
Formula Processor to handle complex mathematical notation for my
research writing and class notes.

Recently, I purchased a Mac IIcx for home and would like to know what
software is best for mathematical word processing.  The choice of word
processors seems to boil down to MS Word 4.0 and WordPerfect 1.0.3.
(My major reason for considering WordPerfect is that I have an IBM
compatible on my desk at work with WordPerfect 5.0 and it would be
nice to have the ability to transfer work between the two machines.)
>From what I know, it seems that I will also want to use a package
such as Expressionist, MathType, or Formulator along with the word
processor to handle mathematical formulas.

Are there any mathematician or statistician types (a.k.a. Quantoids)
out there with suggestions or recommendations?  I would also be
interested in your opinions about draw or draw/paint programs that
would be useful for mathematical word processing (e.g., diagrams).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian Gray                         Phone: (817) 921-7563
Texas Christian University         Bitnet: IB031BU.TCUAMUS
P. O. Box 32868
Fort Worth, Texas  76129

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 17:36:56 EST
From: "Mark A. Saper" <SAPER@xtal0.harvard.edu>
Subject: Microsoft Word or Hardware problem

I'm working with Tables in Microsoft Word 4.0 and am finding everything
extremely slow.  In fact things seem to freeze sometimes.  After
I select a column (using option Click), I can not access and command
in the menus until I unselect the column.  Anyone have a fix?
We have a Mac II with 2meg and a 40meg hard disk which is pretty full.

I'm losing my entusiasm for Mac's very quickly.

Thanks,

Mark A. Saper                                            Phone: (617) 495-5043
Harvard University                                   Facsimile: (617) 495-9613
7 Divinity Ave.                                BitNet: SAPER@HUXTAL.BITNET
Cambridge, MA 02138                          InterNet: saper@xtal0.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 14:42:39 CST
From: Paul Heroy <HEROY%LSUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mighty Nerd

Hi Macxperts,

It's that time of the year again - holidays, fun 'n' games during the
Christmas break, etc, and I remember seeing an ad in MacWeek a few months
ago for a game called Mighty Nerd. The game supposedly allows you to create
a superhero of some kind and fight villains, and also edit their respective
powers. Has anyone out there seen or played or heard anything about this
game? I've never seen it reviewed anywhere - although I haven't seen most
of this year's issues of MacWorld. Thanks for any info.

Paul Heroy     BITNET: SNHERO@LSUVM   INTERNET: snhero@lsuvm.sncc.lsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 15:09:23 EST
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MS Word 4.0, Ready Set Go!

     I have two questions, the first:

Thru educational discount at my university, I can get Microsoft Word 4.0 for $1
09. Sounds like a great deal but are there any limitations to the program? Do I
 get the same upgrade policies? And do I get the free programs like Auto Mac II
I and SuperPaint?

2nd question
On ready, set, go 4.5, There appears to be fonts under the font menu that aren'
t installed. I checked this out with Font/DA mover and there are no added fonts
 on RSG. How did the fonts get in there? How can I remove them?

Thanks Alot
Chris Khoury
Acknowledge-To: <3XMQGAA@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 11:02 CST
From: MONCRIEF%TCUAVMS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Network Plotter

Is there anyone out there that can give advice on sharing a plotter over an
AppleTalk network?  I have found two products, Shiva's NetSerial and DataSpace's
   Plotter NT but I need to know if anyone has tried either of these products an
the pros and cons. We are looking at using a Hewlett-Packard plotter. Also has
anyone tried to network Claris CAD or know of a comparable CAD package that is
networkable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                        Thanks, Karen
Karen Moncrief
Senior User Services Consultant
Texas Christian University
Fort Worth, Texas  76129
MONCRIEF@TCUAVMS
AppleLink: U1069

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 14:32 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Page numbering, How do I get rid of the 1?

Spencer 'the not' Zawasky wonders how to have page numbers on all pages except
page number 1.

Well, Spence, I hope you didn't buy Word 4.0 just to satisfy this need. Of
course 4.0 will do this, so will 3.0, so will 1.0, so will MacWrite.

Here's how:

MacWrite: 1) Open Footer [Format menu] (or header, I don't care) and drag the
page number icon where ever you want it below the ruler.  Now you have page
numbers on all pages.
          2) Position the insertion point anywhere on the first page and select
"title page" [Format menu]. This will surpress the foot with its page number.

Word 4.0: 1) Section [Format menu] check the "First Page Special" check box and
click "OK"
          2) Open Footer [Document menu] and position your page number where
ever you want it.
          3) Open First Footer [Document menu] and make sure it is empty, if
it's not, then delete the page number that is in there.

Word 3.0: Basically the same as 4.0

Hope this helps.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 17:21:45 HFH
From: Heiner Brinnel <BRINNEL%FRSUN12.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: removable cartridge HD systems

Hello Netlanders!
We are looking forward purchasing a removable 40-45 MO HD system
(cartridge-systems).
In France, such systems are available from SYQUEST, IOMEGA, and
CREX.
Has anybody an idea of their performances and reliability?
Thank you for your reply
H. Brinnel, M. D.
Head: Dept of Medicine and Dept of Pathophysiology
Hopital-Maternite
B. P. 0116
69593 L'Arbresle (near Lyons)
France
e-mail: brinnel@frsun12. bitnet
Acknowledge-To: <BRINNEL@FRSUN12>

------------------------------

Date: 29 Nov 89 08:49:00 EST
From: "ZZT" <zzt@stc10.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: reply 1st page numbering in Word 4.0

Reply: Page numbering, How do I get rid of the 1?

> The manuals, in general, have become better and better, but NOWHERE have
> I found how to number a document EXCEPT for the first page.  I am now
> using MSWord 4.0 on the mac

The simplest way is to first do the "Documnet..." command, and check the box
for "first page special".  Then when you go to edit the header (or footer)
you will find that there is a special header (or footer) for the first page.
So you just put your page number into the regular header (or footer) and make
sure that it is not in the special header (or footer)

        Jon Tischler

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 09:57:48 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Systems

A knowledgable dealer at our campus store sent me the following about
Mac systems.

According to Apple, the only reason to use 6.0.3 is if you have the FDHD drive
(1.4 meg). If not, stay with 6.0.2. The "fix" to 6.0.4 is only needed to
support the new Mac IIci and Macintosh Portable. Same story: don't bother if
you don't have one of these machines.

Good news.  Now if only I can locate my old copy of 6.0.2.  And why did
the new Plus I bought last week come with 6.0.3?

End of Info-Mac Digest