Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/11/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 10 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 216

Today's Topics:
                             _Launch 1.2
                           Color of a pixel
                    Color of Pixel (ColorPix.hqx)
                            CopyEdit 1.32
                            Cricket Graph
            Exchanging mail between Internet and MCI Mail
                           Finder slowdown
                                 FTP.
                   Hebrew Word Processors (summary)
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #210
               looking for lab instrumentation software
           Mac <--> Vax : AlisaShare vs PacerShare : which?
                             Mac network
                          Max Headroom sound
              Mea culpa - I'm behind schedule this month
                         Quickdraw weirdness
        Running Allegro Lisp in more than 8M with Virtual 2.0
                   SND files ---> Soundmaster files
                       Where to get Macintalk.
          Word 4 Patch for Fractional Widths on ImageWriter

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 89 19:16:36 -0500 (EST)
From: "Michael A. Libes" <ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: _Launch 1.2

_Launch is a small, 48K, "Multifinder Aware" utility which like OnCue
and PowerStation, let you start and switch to applications under
Multifinder.
_Launch sets up an "icon dock" similar to NeXT Step and BlackBox.  The
main difference being that _Launch is an application, NOT an INIT!!!  I
have yet to find a program or INIT which will cause problems with
_Launch.

After the first four days of distribution, there were enough requests
for certain features that I had to update _Launch.  The following is a
binhex encoded Stuffit archive including the application and
documentation (in a MacWrite file).
The new features include:
    a title bar for the window
    the ability the rotate the window to be vertical or horizontal
    the choice of single or double clicks for launching

_Launch is Shareware, so give it to your friends and try it out yourself.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/launch-12.hqx; 28K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 06:24:52 PST
From: LOUIE CASAGRANDE <casagrande%crcvax@nssdca.span.nasa.gov>
Subject: Color of a pixel

Darryl Marsee wanted to know if there was any way to find the
color information for a pixel on the screen.  This is a DA called
Clutter.  It will put up a window up to 16x16 (for 256 colors)
containing all the colors in the current clut.  Pointing to a
pixel on the screen highlights its color in the DA window.
Double-clicking on the color in the window opens up the color
editor with the HSB and RGB information (and allows you to edit
it).  Teach Text documentation is enclosed.  The author is Don
Leeper.  This is free but not public domain.

Lou Casagrande                                      (516)346-6379
Grumman Corporate Research Center                Mail Stop A02-26
Bethpage, NY 11714-3580

[Archived as /info-mac/da/clutter.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 10:16 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Color of Pixel (ColorPix.hqx)

Subject: RE: Color of Pixel (ColorPix.hqx)

Here is the answer to Darryl Marsee's question about getting the color of a
pixel.  This is my ColorPix FKEY, written yesterday after reading Darryl's
message.  This binhexed StuffIt file contains the FKEY and its resources in one
file, ready to be installed, and all the source code in THINK Pascal.

Rather than go overboard with features, I've Kept It Simple.  I do plan to add
a button that will convert the RGB values to Hex, for those who just can't
count in decimal.

If anyone can enlighten me as to why this FKEY temporarily screws up the Color
Picker pallette in the Color CDEV I'd be happy to fix it.

The incredibly creative and unique source code for this FKEY is copyrighted
by me.  The FKEY itself is distributed as beggarware [got a dime
for a cup of coffee? ;-)].

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/colorpix.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 15:44 EDT
From: <HGOULD%CLARKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CopyEdit 1.32

Dear Net:

I have enclosed in binary format a copy of CopyEdit 1.32 by Ju-xing Yang of
Clark University. CopyEdit is a convenient DA which I use to copy data so that
it can be pasted into Cricket Graph (like the Copy Table command in VersaTerm
and MacTerminal). Initially it was written to transfer data from Basic and
Fortran programs to Cricket Graph. We also now use it to remove non-Ascii
characters, save phone numbers, flip case, etc. I think of it as an editable
scrapbook with many pages for text. CopyEdit is shareware. Use Stuffit to
decode and decompress the file.

Harvey Gould, bitnet: hgould@clarku

[Archived as /info-mac/da/copy-edit-132.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 15:39 EST
From: KWALDMAN@wash-vax.bbn.com
Subject: Cricket Graph

 Can someone tell me why, Cricket Graph 1.3.1 and 1.3 do not work with
a Mac II ci?  I'm running Finder 6.1.4 and System 6.04.  The same set up
works with a Mac SE.
	Thanks
	Karl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 08:56:13 EST
From: Jeff Solof <JSOLOF%MITVMC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Exchanging mail between Internet and MCI Mail

I've had some luck passing mail back and forth between Internet and MCI Mail.

>From the MCI Mail side, set up the "envelope" as follows:

TO:     Jeff Solof (EMS)                  EMS = Electronic Mail Service option
EMS:    INTERNET
MBX:    JSOLOF@MITVMC.MIT.EDU             MBX = Mailbox (Internet address)

>From the Internet side, address the mail to:

username@mcimail.com                      username is the MCI Mail address in
                                          one of two forms: either the full
                                          username (like MIT Alumni Fund) or
                                          the "box number", unhyphenated, and
                                          preceded by three 0's.

To illustrate, I sent mail to my Internet address from MCI Mail, and it arrived
with the following header: From:  MIT Alumni Fund <0003033904@mcimail.com>.
My "box number", as it appears within MCI Mail, is 303-3904.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Solof
JSOLOF@MITVMC.MIT.EDU
JSOLOF@MITVMC.BITNET

(Don't send me anything via MCI Mail -- I rarely check it.)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 89 17:52:59 EDT
From: Dave Elbon <SYSDAVE@ukcc.uky.edu>
Subject: Finder slowdown

I reported a case of Finder slowdown recently that seemed to be
related to a moved and renamed Desktop file.  Well, apparently that
wasn't the problem or at least not all of it.

To restate the problem, on a Mac in my office the Finder has become
sporadically very slow.  It often takes as much as 15 seconds to open a
folder that should open instantly.  Once launched, programs seem to run
at normal speed.  I found that the Desktop file had been renamed DeskTop,
become visible, and moved to the System folder.  Correcting that seemed
to help at the time.  Disinfectant 1.2 found no sign of viruses.

Well, it's still happening.  But I've noticed that the AppleTalk arrows
in the upper left corner of the screen are on during the slowdowns and
dismounting AppleShare volumes apparently prevents the slowdowns
completely.

This is happening on a Mac II, 5 meg, Multifinder, System 6.0.2.  Any
suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Dec 89 14:34:48 EDT
From: "Evan Stark, CUNY Graduate School Computer Center."
Subject: FTP.

We at the CUNY Graduate School are running an AppleShare network,
connected to a Kinetics fastpath to give us access to the Internet
world.  We use NCSA Telnet to get out.  Is there: 1) a program
that does ONLY ftp without Telnet, and 2) a program that allows
incoming access to the mac host and the network it's connected to,
using something analogous to anonymous ftp, i.e., with limited
privs at the point of entry.  As it stands now, the ftp in telnet
provides for either access to anyone (no account and password to get
in) or access through an account, and thereafter, the privs available
to the appleshare login concurrently running on that Mac apply to the
user ftp'd in.  Any info would be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 89 16:44:01 GMT
From: YS100%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: Hebrew Word Processors (summary)

Thanks to all those who sent information to me about word processing in Hebrew.
The best summary of the information I received is a message from Rafi
Brunner, shown here. The general consensus is that Rav-Ktav from Davka Corp.
is the best program to use:

There is one WP produced in Israel by Micro-Macro Corp, it is a script
manager based wp, that works under the Hebrew system only. It's called
Rav-Ktav but goes under different names in different countries. I know it's
been distriburted by Davka in the US. The same company is shipping a page
layout program by the name Rav-Daf.
RSG has a script manager version that works with hebrew system, it's proteced
and is very buggy.
Apple Europe is supporting a French company that distributes another wp that
goes by the name of WinText, also script manager supported. The same company
has a page layout prog. and a SM based presentation prog as well.
WinText has a lot of features but is slow.. can work at a reasonable speed
on a Mac II and up.
Rav-Ktav is much faster but is missing some very important features, and deals
badly with picts and does not support EPS in cut and paste.
I currently work with both WinText and Rav ktav, depending on the work at hand.
Letters with Rav ktav, papers and long manuscripts with WinText.
<END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE>

Davka's addresss is:
Davka Corporation
 845 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 843
 Chicago, IL 60611 USA
 (312)944-4070

Yoram
ys100@phx.cam.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 14:07:32 PST
From: ogccse!mntgfx!pdx.mentor.com!leikenberry@decwrl.dec.com (Larry Eikenberry)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #210

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> One of our profs has been asking me about printers for her new Mac.
> For some reason, she doesnt like the ImageWriter II.  But--she doesn't
> want to spend the $$ for a laser, either.
>
> I'm looking for comments-suggestions on 3rd party printers for the Mac.

I can only speak for my personal experiences with the HP DeskWriter.
It is an excellent printer for the price.  I see nothing that can
match it.  Don't believe the review in the recent MacWorld.  They made
a big mistake.  Somehow their tests came out at low resolution (72 DPI).
The printer is capable of 300 DPI.  I don't know how they botched the
benchmark.  I have had no problem getting the laser quality results
that have been described on the network.  Everything that has been
written on the network regarding this printer has been very
complimentary.

Good luck.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 13:35 EST
From: "Leo Geoffrion, Skidmore College" <LDG@amy.skidmore.edu>
Subject: looking for lab instrumentation software

One of our Psychology faculty members is engaged in rat experiments where he
needs to record the activity of the animals (12 different cages) on an exercise
wheel.  He'd like to feed the data into a Mac for automated collection and
analysis.

We've found some boards that accept signals from exteral lab devices and look
like they'll facilitate the actual collection of the wheel rotations, but we
can't find a device to attach to each wheel.  Ideally, the switch would trip
once with each rotation, but since there are 12 cages, it would need to
identify to the Mac which one has been triggered.  (Attaching one Mac to each
cage is hardly feasible economically.)

Can you recommend places to check for such an item, or better yet, is someone
out there already doing such stuff and can recommend a configuration?

Thank you,

Leo D. Geoffrion
Associate Director for             NYNEX:  (518) 584-5000 Ext. 2628
Academic Computing
Skidmore College                NYSERNET (Internet): LDG@AMY.SKIDMORE.EDU
Saratoga Springs, NY  12866                  BITNET: LDG@SKIDMORE

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1989 10:54:55 CST
From: "GERGA::DAVE"@neptun.tamu.edu   (Dave Martin)
Subject: Mac <--> Vax : AlisaShare vs PacerShare : which?

Greetings.

	We are expanding our computer network here, adding another Mac
LocalTalk network in an adjacent building, and need to be able to keep
all the Macs connected to the printers and our MicroVax.  We have
already purchased the Kinetics FastPath to link our LocalTalks, and
are attempting to decide between AlisaShare and PacerShare software
for connectivity to our Vax.  We do not currently have a file server
such as AppleShare - I am aware that Alisa is better suited of the two
if AppleShare is used, so that is not a major factor.  Is anyone using
Alisa or Pacer who could give me a bit more info from experience.  It
is useful to know what kinds of problems/complaints others have had
with the two systems.  Any responses would be appreciated.

	Thanks,

.	Dave Martin
.	Geochemical & Environmental Research Group
.	Dept. of Oceanography - Texas A&M University
.	BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET     BROOKS@NEPTUN.TAMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 13:56 EST
From: <R_LEHMAN%FANDM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (RICHARD S. LEHMAN)
Subject: Mac network

In a COmputers in Psychology user group meeting, someone mentioned hearing
about a commercial (?) service called (again, we think) MacNet. Does anyone
know anything about it? If so, where can I find more? I'd like to include
the info in the report of the user meeting.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 08:14:39 -0800
From: <miner@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Max Headroom sound

Someone on comp.sys.mac recently asked for Max Headroom sounds.  Since
I didn't see any in the INFO-MAC archives, I thought I would pass this
one along.  It came off the net some time ago.  I'm sorry, I don't
know who originally posted it.

"This is Max Headroom."

Enjoy,
Steve

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/max-headroom.hqx; 61K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Dec 89 17:58:46 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mea culpa - I'm behind schedule this month

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
              From the December 1989 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

Macintosh Inc?
The wildest recent rumor is that Apple will split into two
separate companies (modeled after the successful spinoff of
software developer Claris).  The Apple IIgs is so closely
identified with the name "Apple" that the Macintosh producer
will need a new name (if not "Macintosh," maybe "Grove?").
- Thanks to MacUser reader Mark Munz

Monster Mac.
Apple submitted a bid on a Defense Department contract for a
"Worldwide Information System" which requires delivery of
25-MIP workstations within 60 days (early January 1990).
The prototype behind the bid is said to be a Mac built
around a 33 MHz Motorola 88000 RISC chip.
- InfoWorld 6 November

PM Lite.
IBM is working on a smaller (than 2.5 Mbytes) PC-DOS based
Presentation Manager now known as "PM-Lite."  As with
Windows 3.0 (still forthcoming - see last month's column),
PM-Lite will permit applications of greater than 640K and
offer 286 and 386 "protected mode."  The advantage to
developers would be that applications could be ported
directly to OS/2 (not so with Windows applications).
Current plans are for a summer (if at all) 1990 release.
Many developers have expressed the opinion that PM-Lite will
be too little, too late, and have already committed to
developing applications for Windows.  In a related
development, IBM officials say that a future version of OS/2
(1.2) will permit users to disable the DOS compatibility box
and other functions such as the print spooler so that the
Presentation Manager (and a single application) will run in
only 2 Mbytes.
- PC Week 30 October and InfoWorld 30 October and 6 November

IIgs HyperCard.
The rumored IIgs HyperCard (see last August's column)
currently is scheduled for delivery by March.  The plan is
for compatibility with HyperCard 2.0 stacks.  Could the long
awaited Macintosh FST (File System Translator) be part of
the package?  Will this product be momentous enough to
warrant the planned "splashy announcement" (see last month's
column)?  - MacWeek 31 October

Pocket Encyclopedia.
Selectronics, makers of handheld dictionaries and spell
checkers, has announced plans for a six ounce, handheld
electronic Random House encyclopedia containing 10 Mbytes of
information.  Selectronics expects to ship during the first
quarter of 1990.  - Random Access 4 November

Unified Unix?
AT&T and the rest of the Unix International group have
resumed discussions with the rival Open Software
Foundation.  AT&T which recently introduced Unix System V
release 4.0 has expressed an interest in selling its Unix
Software Operation.  The Open Software Foundation's proposed
version, called OSF1, is at least a year away (see last
month's column).  Common ground between the two groups
include the Motif user interface and method for handling
multiprocessing.  Analysts expect the negotiations to lead
to a "Super Unix" with System V.4 as the base operating
system and Motif as the user interface.
- InfoWorld 6 November and PC Week 13 November

NeXTware.
Now that the operating system is a reality (see October's
column), WordPerfect, Lotus, and Informix have announced
plans to develop software for Steve Job's Black Box.
Borland, Microsoft, and SAS International are "officially
considering" investing in NeXT software.
- PC Week 6 November

i486 Bugs.
By now Intel should be shipping i486 chips without the
floating point glitches (problems with some trigonometry
routines and zero divide error handling).  Although data
errors occur only in rare circumstances, users would not
necessarily know they had taken place.  Mike Swavely of
Compaq says he expects everyone's shipments of i486 systems
to be delayed until after Christmas.  - InfoWorld 30 October

i860 Bugs.
Unresolved problems with the memory-management unit of
Intel's i860 RISC chip may delay workstations (such as
Olivetti's) designed around the chip until the second half
of 1990.  - PC Week 6 November

Portable i486.
A company named Dolch has announced the first i486-based
portable.  The unit will have a 100 Mbyte hard disk and
three AT type expansion slots.  The proposed price is
$13,000.  - Random Access 11 November

Well-Rounded Word Processing.
Emerald City Software will soon deliver a $99.95 companion
product for the Adobe Type Manager (ATM).  Emerald City's
Type Align is a desk accessory that permits users to draw an
arc or freehand curve to be used as a baseline onto which
characters can be directly typed.  Type Align can create
type that is skewed, has the appearance of being in
perspective, along with many other special effects.  The
program works with all Postscript fonts including Adobe's
complete type library.  - InfoWorld 6 November

Darn Computer.
Some observers think that laptop computers look like small
sewing machines.  According to the Financial Post in
Toronto, International Sentinel of Canada has purchased the
rights to the Singer name for use on a forthcoming laptop
computer.  Price and performance are expected to be sew
sew.  - Random Access 4 November

Getting in Edge-wise.
Leading Edge returns from Chapter 11 (bankruptcy) with an
MCA 80386SX (Model 55 clone), an i486 EISA system, and three
laptops (8086, 80286, 80386SX).  The computers will be
manufactured by Korean-based Daewoo Telcom for delivery in
early 1990.  - InfoWorld 30 October

New Versions of Ventura Publisher.
Xerox will follow its announcement of Ventura Publisher for
OS/2 with a Windows version as well as an upgrade to the
existing GEM DOS product.  - PC Week 13 November

1-2-3/G (Continued).
The Presentation Manager version of 1-2-3 (see last month's
and August's columns) is in beta test.  The good news is
that it's packed with features that even version 3.0 doesn't
have (3-D stacks in as many as five windows, 702 rows by
32,000 columns by 702 sheets, and a utility called the
Solver for sophisticated financial modeling).  The bad news
is the minimum memory requirement is 5 Mbytes!
- PC Week 13 November

R.I.P.
Apple recently buried 2,700 unsold Lisa computers in a Utah
landfill.  Sun Remarketing purchased nearly 5,000 Lisa's for
resale several years ago and continues to support the
product, but Apple got a better taxbreak by destroying the
one time breakthrough technology computers than by giving
them away to schools or third-world countries.
- InfoWorld 23 October

QuakeWare!
Hardware engineers have noted that hard disks are not
designed for magnitude seven earthquakes.  They warn that
Silicon Valley users can expect an unusually large number of
hard drive failures in the coming months.  Of wider interest
is the condition of component drives stored in Northern
California warehouses.  Thorough testing on delivery and
serious attention to disk backup is recommended for any hard
drive purchased during the next year that may have been in
The Bay area for game three.  - PC Week 30 October

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89  23:04:55 EST
From: Jurgenb%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Quickdraw weirdness

      First off, thanx to people who answered my question about  Datadesk  101
  compatibility with  QuicKeys.  I  will  order  QuicKeys  from  MacConnection
  tomorrow. :)

      Over the last  week  I  wrote  a  small  program  to  process  PICTs  in
  scrapbook files. We are working  on  some  animations  with  Swivel  3D  and
  Director, and Swivel 3D outputs scrapbook files containing a PICT  for  each
  frame of a tween. Basically I needed to do some simple image  processing  on
  these PICTs before importing them into Director.

      My idea was to draw the PICT into an offscreen bitmap (pixmap) and  then
  iterate over all pixels, process them, and store  the  result  in  a  second
  bitmap (pixmap). To do this and use Quickdraw calls I would have  to  switch
  either ports, or portbits, once for each pixel. When I did this the  program
  ran, but as processing went on the  cursor  was  flickering  like  mad,  and
  jumping all over the screen. As far as I know,  the  only  reason  why  that
  might happen  is  because  interrupts  are  being  disabled  somewhere.  The
  strange thing is that it's not in the  SetPort  or  SetPortBits  calls,  but
  rather seems to happen when actually drawing into the new
  port/bitmap/pixmap. It also  happens  when  only  the  bit  image  is  being
  changed (by setting baseAddr).

      I ended up writing my own routines  to  get  and  put  bits/pixels  into
  bit/pixel images. It wasn't that difficult, but I'm only moving  pixels  and
  filling Rects. If my image processing had to  do  more  complicated  things,
  like filling regions, I'd really  be  peeved  at  having  to  duplicate  the
  functionality of Quickdraw...

      Anyone have any insights into this? What's going on, and are  there  any
  work arounds?

      -Jurgen Botz.

      jurgenb@umass. bitnet

      p. s.: I can receive private mail now. Reply either to the  net,  or  to
  me, and I will summarize.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 18:00:33 EST
From: jimg@cs.uri.edu (Jim Gallgher)
Subject: Running Allegro Lisp in more than 8M with Virtual 2.0

We recently got Virtual 2.0, which allows one to have up to 14M virtual memory.
However, Allegro Lisp 1.2.2 crashes when run in anymore than 8M. Does anyone
know if Allegro Lisp 1.2.3 fixes this problem (which, from what I can see is do to
Allegro's need for contiguous memory -- The 14M that virtual provides is broken
into at least two sections).

Other than this, Virtual has proved to be very good, esp. w/MultiFinder.

James Gallagher
Univ. of Rhode Island
jimg@cs.uri.edu

P.S. System configuration:
Mac II, 8M RAM, 300M Wren drive, OS 6.0.2, Finder 6.1

------------------------------

Date: 03 DEC 89 23:37:52 CST
From: Z4610891 <Z4610891%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SND files ---> Soundmaster files

Hello all,

    I am writing this in hopes that somebody out there can help me find
a PD program which will allow me to convert a SND to a Soundmaster file.
I am aware of Soundmaster to SND file programs, but have not encountered
any SND to Soundmaster programs. Please respond to me directly, I
will post a summary to the net.

Anthony F Gaudiano <Z4610891@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 09:50 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Where to get Macintalk.

This is the reply that I got when I asked Mac Software licensing group on
AppleLink about the availablity of Macintalk.  You'll notice that the reply
was forwarded from Mac Developer Technical Services, by SW.LICENSE who
apparently didn't know how to answer it.

The net result is that you have to get Macintalk from APDA.
I therefore will NOT be uploading Macintalk to the Archives.

>Item forwarded  by  SW.LICENSE   to U0523
>
>Item    1631359                         20-Nov-89        16:51
>
>From:   MACDTS                          Macintosh Developer Tech. Supt.
>
>To:     SW.LICENSE                      Apple Software License
>
>Sub:    MACINTALK QUESTIONS
>
>The following are the answers to Paul Jorgensen's questions:
>
>-Yes! It is the version that Paul patched.
>-Yes!  It does work on Mac II's.
>-(You) must order it through APDA.
>-It is not supported by MacDTS in any way, and we recommend that Paul not use
>it.  Chances are it will break in the future!
>
>If you there is further information needed, please contact us again!
>
>Regards,
>
>Tracy McGee
>Macintosh Developer Technical Support

Sorry this took so long to resolve.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 11:49:57 PST
From: bezanson@adobe.com (Brian Bezanson)
Subject: Word 4 Patch for Fractional Widths on ImageWriter

Here's the patch to make MS Word 4.0 use Fractional Widths on an Image-
writer:

* Use FEDIT to open the resource fork of MS Word, or use ResEdit to open
the resource PCOD 0.

* Search for the string 0C6C 0001 370C 6722 302E 0014 4EAC. This string
occurs at about EFDA hex in PCOD 0.

* Change the 6722 to a 4E71.

What does this do? Changing the 6722 (BEQ.S *+22) to 4E71 (NOP)
eliminates the branch in the MS Word code that skips the Fractional
Width feature if the device is an Imagewriter.

Now, choose Commands from the Edit menu, and use the dialog to add
the Fractional Widths command to the File menu. Then check off
Fractional Widths. Ta-Da.
----

The above message was originally posted on CompuServe by a different user.

End of Info-Mac Digest