Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/11/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 10 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 217

Today's Topics:
                       AppleShare via Ethernet?
                     Circuit schematic programs?
                            HP DeskWriter
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #213
                  INSTALLING VERTICAL RETRACE TASKS
                          Iron-ons from Mac
                            label printer?
                  Mac 512K with 800K External Drive
                          Mac II 800K Floppy
                           Mac text editors
                             memory chips
                     Mixing memory chips on SE/30
                              Mouse Feet
                             MS Word 4.0
             need advice on disk mgmt./security software
                           Network Plotter
                        Print Spoolers summary
                Problems writing code to drive a modem
                        Request for source...
                       Stepping Out II problem
                   Transfering Apple II CPM to MAC
                   Wanted: Quilting layout program

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 18:38:29 PST
From: shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: AppleShare via Ethernet?

Dear fellow Info-Mac receipients:

I would like to know if we can run our AppleShare network
{on an SE/30 with a EtherLink card} on EtherNet instead of
AppleTalk?

How do I have to do?

Shahryar G. Hashemi

P.S.--Could you please send all E-Mail to <suggestions@sutro.sfsu.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 13:47 CST
From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Circuit schematic programs?

An electonics person on campus is looking for a public domain program for
drawing analog circuit schematic diagrams.  I have scanned the server files
for something obvious, but had no luck.  He is mainly interested in cutting
and pasting schematic graphics into paint and wp programs.

Thanks for any replies.

Albert Everett
Academic Computing Services
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Little Rock, AR  72204

BITNET:  AEEVERETT@UALR

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 08:17:42 CDT
From: <AEZRAYS%UICVMC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HP DeskWriter

 From: Keith Pollok (aezrays@uicvmc.bitnet)

 A friend of mine who owns a Mac+ with an external floppy recently initiated
 the purchase of a HP DeskWriter. When she got it home, the first thing she
 saw in the manual was that you had to have a hard disk to run this printer,
 so she returned it without trying it.

 None of the reviews or articles that I have read about this printer mentioned
 the necessity of having a hard disk. Is this a fact? Can this printer be used
 with a 2 floppy system?

 Thanks,
 Keith Pollok
 Bitnet: UICVMC(AEZRAYS)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 08:16:08 CST
From: Bill Hayes <IANR012%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #213

RE: networking CD-ROM Drives

We're sucessfully using CD-ROM drives on a NETBIOS-based PC network, using
Opti-Net CD-ROM LAN software.  Good Stuff! Supports up to 100 simultaneous
users, 32 databases (a database can be any number of CD-ROM drives you want
to daisy chain together), and 9 CD-ROM servers.  I too would like to find
out if anyone is working with CD-ROM drives on mixed networks.  Opti-Net is
made by Online Computer Systems, Inc., (800) 922-9204.

Most CD-ROM text retrieval software is MS-DOS based and requires the use of
MicroSoft Extensions, which extends the DOS logical volume partition to
600 megabytes. CD-ROM disks would have to be shipped with two sets of
text retrieval software.  I know of at least one shareware disk with MS-DOS
and Mac software.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 10:28 EST
From: Assistant Postmaster <BHERSEY@ocvaxa.oberlin.edu>
Subject: INSTALLING VERTICAL RETRACE TASKS

        I am writing a VBL task as part of a screen saver program.  I have
been having a good deal of trouble adding my code to the VBL task queue.
Can anyone who has successfully written VBL tasks tell me why the following
code fragment does not work?  It causes a system error id 02 when I run
it on my mac.  I am confident that this occurs when the VBL mechanism attempts
to call my routine after its parent INIT has terminated.  The code is loaded
into the system heap, the resource is detached and locked.  It should
stay around between application launches, but it is not executing correctly.
I'm working in Think C 4.0 on a Mac SE.

        If anyone has a sample fragment from a working VBL, I would be very
interested in looking at it.  Thank you.

/**** Code fragment follows ****/

#include <SetUpA4.h>
#include <VRetraceMgr.h>

struct VBLTask q_entry;
int count = 0;

pascal VBLmain();

main()
{

        Handle me;
        int myAttrs;
        OSErr err;

        RememberA0();

        asm{
                movem.l A0-A5,-(A7)
                move.l  A0,A4
                _RecoverHandle
                move.l A0,me
        }

        myAttrs = GetResAttrs(me);

        if (!(myAttrs & resSysHeap) || !(myAttrs & resLocked)) {
                SysBeep(10);
                return;
        }

        DetachResource(me);
        HLock(me);

        q_entry.qType = vType;
        q_entry.vblAddr = VBLmain;
        q_entry.vblCount = 30;
        q_entry.vblPhase = 1;
        err = VInstall(&q_entry);
        if (err!= noErr) {
                SysBeep(10);
        }

        asm {
                movem.l (A7)+,A0-A5
        }

}

pascal VBLmain()
{

        SetUpA4();

        if (count < 10)
                q_entry.vblCount = 30;

        count++;

        RestoreA4();
}
===================================

David Hersey
Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH 44074
bhersey@oberlin        (Bitnet)
bhersey@ocvaxa.oberlin.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 14:19 EST
From: FRIEDMAN@anchor.rutgers.edu
Subject: Iron-ons from Mac

I recently posted a notice requesting information on the source of an iron-on
transfer that could be made using the laserwriter.  I have received requests
as to results of my request.  To date, the closest was something known as the
"Underware Ribbon" which could be used to make iron-ons from the imagewriter.
This item appears to have been discontinued by most retail distributers and I
can not find a source for this product.  I am still hoping to receive
information on my original request, however, if anyone knows of a source for the
"Underware Ribbon" I would appreciate a response.
Rich Friedman
Friedman@biovax

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 89 14:20:35 EST
From: Josh Hayes <JAHAYES%MIAMIU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: label printer?

Here's one that the secretaries in my department's office would
like an answer to.  We're looking for software to print labels.
It need not be Laser-compatible, but that would be nice.  It could
be shareware, freeware, even (gasp!) commercial! (What the hey,
it's their money).  Any suggestions?  Post to the digest or to
me directly; if there's much interest I'll summarize.  Thanks!

Josh Hayes, Zoology Dept, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet

I don't need no stinking disclaimer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 15:30 EST
From: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Mac 512K with 800K External Drive

    Will a 512K unenhanced work with an 800K external drive?  My mother
    has one and her old 400K external drive died.  The options seem
    to be to get a "new" 400K drive for $55 mail order, or an 800K for
    $150 or so, or to have it enhanced for $299 or both for about $450.

    Another possibility is to get a hard drive, but I think the Apple
    HD 20 with the floppy drive connector has been discontinued, and
    the 512K has no SCSI port.  Is there any source for 512K or 512KE
    compatible hard drives?

    Obviously price is a consideration.

    Chris Eliot
    Umass/Amherst

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 08:49 CST
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309-298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac II 800K Floppy

Does anyone know if there is documented trouble with the original 800K Floppy
drive on the Mac II?  We have two of these machines and if people take a floppy
>From the Mac II to a Plus or SE and then back again, after a few times, the
floppy becomes damaged (ie, read errors).  I haven't looked to see if it's
always in the same position on the floppy, though.

My boss has a Lisa that had a 400K floppy and is now upgraded to the 800K and
sometimes the Mac II can read the Lisa disks, but if it writes on them, the
Lisa will NEVER read the floppy unless it re-formats it.

But what distresses me the most, is that disks from a Plus or SE are frequently
becoming unreadable.

SUN Micro-Systems (who sold us the 800K for the Lisa) said that Mac II's were
known to have a problem with their 800K disks, but they had no documented
evidence.

Does anyone else out there have these problems?  Any suggestions?  Should I
replace my 800K floppy with a new one?  WIll I get the same problems again?

Or, should I upgrade my 800K floppy to the FDHD (which also requires some
changes on my motherboard).  Has anyone done this?  Any comments?

PLEASE HELP US! ...

Fred Seaton
Academic Computing
Western Illinois University
mucm000@ecncdc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 4 Dec 1989 14:07:31 EST
From: Thomas.Ivers@cuplvx.apne.columbia.edu
Subject: Mac text editors

Hello MacPeople:
	Could someone please direct me to a good Mac text editor for use
with OzTeX?  I've been a VMS EVE user for years and would like to configure
an editor similiarly on my new Mac.  Any help would be appreciated.

					Tom Ivers
					C.U. Plasma Physics Laboratory
			      Internet:	ivers@cuplvx.apne.columbia.edu
                                MFEnet: ivers@cmr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 89 09:59:24 EST
From: Bob Rahe <CES00661%UDACSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: memory chips

  Someone requested info on memory uprgrades and someone else suggested
Chip Merchant in CA.  I've noticed they are the cheapest around, and have
purchased from them twice.  First, for myself (2 meg when they were $220
per meg 8-((  ) and again for work at about $150 per meg. 8-(

  In both cases they were 1) speedy, essentially UPS turnaround on a phone
order, and 2) they worked.  Given the prices were the lowest (at the time)
what more could u ask?  Well, they didn't take credit cards so it was UPS
collect but that wasn't a problem for me.

Disclaimer: just a satisfied customer.  If I needed memory they'd get my
            order again.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1989 20:05:01 PST
From: Samson Tu <tu@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mixing memory chips on SE/30

I am considering upgrading my 2.5 meg SE to an SE/30.  I was informed that on
an SE/30, memory chips must installed in banks of 4s.  So a possible
configuration is a 5 meg machine with 4 256-K chips and 4 1-Mb chips.  This
question is: can I take the 2 120-ns 1-Mb memory chips on my SE, add 2 80-ns
1-Mb chips from a mail-order store and still make an SE/30 happy?  That is,
does it matter that the 1-Mb chips in an SE/30 have different speeds?

I called a local Mac dealer and they don't know the answer.  Another person at
a campus consulting service said, "I don't think it matters, since they don't
ask about memory speed when you order memory chips.  I'll call back if I find
out otherwise."

Thanks for any reply.

Samson

-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 09:33:20 PST
From: Mike_Dustan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Mouse Feet

Here's what I did when my mouse's feet wore out. I went to a
local ski repair shop and bought a small piece of self-adhesive
Teflon. Apparently they use it for repairing sensor plates (is
that what they're called? I'm not a skier). Anyway, this stuff is
about 1/16" thick and is really hard. I cut it with a utility
knife by scoring and breaking it, then filed off the rough edges.
I cut a small rectangle about 1"x1/4", and two 45-degree
right-angled triangles about 3/8" on the short sides. You could
make them smaller; I found really small pieces didn't stick well
and were rather hard to manage. I stuck the rectangle on near the
cable exit, so it just cleared the barcode for the serial number.
The triangles went on the opposite two corners with the
right-angles pointing into the corners. You might have to
experiment with the dimensions a little so the long edge clears
the circular rim around the retaining ring.

I've used one set for the last two years with almost no trace of
wear. The scrap of Teflon I bought cost about $4 and was
sufficient for at least eight sets.

Voila! Stocking-stuffers for your Mac friends!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1989 10:05:02 EST
From: RICH@suhep.phy.syr.edu   (Richard S. Holmes)
Subject: MS Word 4.0

"Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET> writes:

>Thru educational discount at my university, I can get Microsoft Word 4.0 for $1
>09. Sounds like a great deal but are there any limitations to the program? Do I
> get the same upgrade policies? And do I get the free programs like Auto Mac II
>I and SuperPaint?

I bought Word 3.0x last January through our bookstore for $112.  It was the
same program as the regular edition; had the same reference manual; didn't come
with the tutorial manual (but you could order that for $25.  I didn't).

Microsoft sent me an update info/order package for 4.0 that said at the bottom
in fine print, "This offer does not apply to academic purchasers..." I
screamed, swore, and wrote a nasty letter to Microsoft.  They sent the update
info/order package for academic users along with a semi-apologetic note.

I held the two update descriptions together up to the light and noted the
following differences: Academic purchasers got NO new documentation; they got
AutoMac but NOT SuperPaint 1.0 (big deal; I'd already bought 2.0); the cutoff
date for getting the update "free" (i.e. for $5) instead of for $50 was
somewhat later (big deal; I qualified anyway).

I got the update, which came with an order form for the reference manual: $35.
So altogether I paid $152 for Word 4.0.  If the trends continue I expect future
major upgrades will cost me about $85 if I want the manual versus about $50
for regular purchasers.  At some point the academic discount will have been
eaten up.  I leave it to you to figure out when.

                                                   Rich Holmes

     Richard S. Holmes              Phone: (315)443-3891 or
     Physics Department                            -2701
     Syracuse University            Bitnet:   rich@suhep
     Syracuse, NY 13244             Internet: rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

DISCLAIMER: I have no opinions.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 14:48 EST
From: TTHOMAS@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Subject: need advice on disk mgmt./security software

	We have recently set up a lab of about 30 SE/30 machines here at
S.U.N.Y, Stony Brook.  And in the first two weeks we have had students
trash documents, folders and everything in between; move documents into folders
that they don't belong in; leave their own/illegal copies of software;etc,etc...

	At this point we have our student assistants reloading/cleaning up
these machines every day. What are other universities doing with their (public)
mac labs. Could anyone let me know of any pd/shareware/other program(s) that
they have used to combat this problem, and what was their degree of success.

	Thanks in advance.
Thomas B.Thomas
Micro Systems/Analyst
Instructional Computing			BITNET: TTHOMAS@SBCCMAIL
State University of New York            INTERNET: TTHOMAS@CCMAIL.SUNYSB.EDU
Stony Brook, NY 11794-2400		VOICE: (516) 632-8031

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 89 14:25 EST
From: rrenfro@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Richard Renfro)
Subject: Network Plotter

>    Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 11:02 CST
>    From: MONCRIEF%TCUAVMS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
>    Subject: Network Plotter
>
>    Is there anyone out there that can give advice on
>    sharing a plotter over an AppleTalk network?  I have found ...

We have a Shiva NetSerial and Shiva NetModem connected to
an AppleTalk network, and are using them for access
to other computers.  Both products appear to be reasonably
well-made and reliable, with no problems at all since installation
8 months ago.  Installation was very easy, consisting of running
the Apple Installer program to put some resources on the system
and attaching the boxes to an AppleTalk connector (8-pin).

In order to use either product, it must be selected from the
Chooser.  When a properly written application is started,
it will try to 'connect' to the Shiva device, just as though
the device was plugged into a Mac serial port.  Operation
is transparent from this point on.

The terminal emulator applications used here include
SmartComII, Mac240, Mac241, MacTerminal, and
VersaTerm Pro, all of which work properly with
the NetSerial and NetModem.  We have not used a
plotter driver.

Hope this helps

Rick Renfro
David Taylor Research Center
Bethesda,  MD   20084-5000
rrenfro@dtrc.arpa

-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 13:57:16 -0500
From: stngiam@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Print Spoolers summary

   Thanks to all the people who responded to my post concerning
imagewriter print spoolers.  All of them should be getting thank-you
notes directly via e-mail.

   Basically, all replies pointed me to SuperSpool from SuperMac
Technologies. Essentially it consists of an init that spools output from
a directly-connected imagewriter to a spool file on disk.  This file is
then printed unattended. You can thus get control of your Mac back
before the printer has finished printing.  There is also a DA that
allows you to manipulate the PrintQueue.
   I received no negative reviews.  There were no reported
incompatibilities between version 5.0 and MacPlus/SE, IW I/II,
MultiFinder.  Other posts on info-mac have alluded to incompatibilities
with some screensavers (but not AfterDark).
   SuperSpool of course consumes memory (70-100 K according to one
source).  No one reported serious problems with this even on a 1 Mb
machine under 'normal' usage.

Shih Tung Ngiam
MIT chem e
(That small technical school in Cambridge)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 15:59 EST
From: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Problems writing code to drive a modem

    I am writing a game program and would like to make it possible for
    two people to play against each other via modem and phone lines.
    I modified the Think C "miniedit" demo to try to understand how
    to do this, wit very strange results.  The mainline initialized
    and closed the serial port, around the semi-infinite main event
    loop.  I modified the main event handler in two ways.  The call
    to TEKey in response to key down events was changed to an FSWrite
    to send the character to the serial port and out the modem.
    The mainline also started an asynchronous PBRead call, using
    a globally visible ParamBlockRec.  The end of the main event handler
    checks the ioResult field and calls TEKey on the character in the
    buffer when the asynchronous read is complete.  It then issues a
    new asynchronous read (requesting one more character.)

    It almost worked.  Characters typed on the terminal were echoed
    back, presumably by the modem.  However, the modem would not recognize
    any control codes.  The"ATL" (self test) command was ignored, the
    "ATDT" sequence didn't dial the phone and the "+++" escape didn't
    do anything.  I tried reseting the modem and changing the stop bits
    and data bytes on the serial connection with the same results.

    Now for the really weird part.  When I used MacTerminal to place
    a call, and then started my program everything works fine.  I could
    talk to the VAX at school and everything looked fine.  I could even
    get the modem to recognize control sequences.  I could hang up the
    phone, and issue self test "ATL" or dial "ATDT" commands and was
    able to call up the VAX again with MacTerminal.  I tried everything
    I could think of and nothing works, unless I start by initializing
    the modem with MacTerminal.  It seems there is some initialization
    step that I don't understand.

        Any help I can get would be appreciated.  Probably the best
    help
        would be (Think) C sources to a terminal emulator demo program.
    Can anyone send me such a critter?

    Chris Eliot
    Umass/Amherst

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 12:43 EST
From: "Composer-at-large..." <SNC0243@ocvaxa.oberlin.edu>
Subject: Request for source...

Hello.  I'm interested in writing a screen saver on the mac and I don't quite
know where to start.  I was wondering if anyone had any source that they would
be willing to share with me.  Thanks.

-Noel Cragg  ( SNC0243 @ Oberlin )

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  4 Dec 89  19:42:56 EST
From: 3man%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Stepping Out II problem

Hi:

  I had my MacPlus configured to a 20" workstation monitor using Stepping
Out II today and had some problems.  I was using Excel 2.2 and CricketGraph
1.something.... anyway, here's the problem:  sometimes when I would click
on a Cricketgraph window and start entering data, Stepping Out II would
(for no reason) show me an excel window.  (i.e., it would display some other
part of the screen, as opposed to the one I was working in).  I lived with
it, and moved my windows so that it didn't seem to happen too much.  I do
realize that Excel will show you the top part of the window when entering
data or text, but this is not the problem.  Any ideas?

                                                            -John

+-------------------------+-----------------------------+
! Bitnet:3Man@UMASS       ! 204 Pierpont                !
! CompuServe:70406,1421   ! University of Massachusetts !
! Phone: (413) 546-5181   ! Amherst, MA  01003          !
+-------------------------+-----------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  5 Dec 89 12:29 EDT
From: <PHJB9105%WOOSTER.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Transfering Apple II CPM to MAC

A friend of mine has some files stored in word perfect on the Apple II, using a
CPM card.  He would like to transfer them to a Macintosh.  CPM is not one of
the formats that the apple file exchange handles (unless there are paramater
files for it which I don't have)  Any ideas?

                 Joseph Philip
                 PHJB9105@WOOSTER

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 12:51:06 CST
From: das@once.cray.com (David Swierczek)
Subject: Wanted: Quilting layout program

I'm looking for a quilting layout editor/program that would allow
one to select standard and customized quilting squares to create
quilts of various types.

Any and all leads would be appreciated.

 ^  Dave Swierczek  :~)              ^^   Internet: das@cray.com       ^
 ^                                   ^^  UUCP: uunet!cray!once!das     ^

End of Info-Mac Digest