Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/18/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 17 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 222

Today's Topics:
                     800k drives on an older Mac
                 DAs, SF Get Dialog Box, and PROBLEMS
                     Desktop PICTs for Mac Pluses
   DISK PARAM for Atari ST and Commodore Amiga Macintosh emulators
                         ftp'ing directories
                     Gatekeeper Aid 1.0 released!
                   GRIPS CD-ROM from Meridian Data
                      Microsoft Rich Text Format
                Mixing memory chips of different speed
                Need a bulk formatter for HD floppies.
                  Opinions about Strategic Conquest?
                          OzTeX array sizes
                   Reaching AppleLink from InterNet
                   Request for Prototyper 2.1 Demo
                        Retouch V1.6.1, 1 of 6
               Scientific graphing package for the Mac
                       Stevie 3.69, a vi clone
                     SUN-2/50 Screen on a Mac ???
                      Take-A-Letter version 1.1
                         VirusDetective 3.1.1
                          Virus Encyclopedia
                   Z... the mark of Zorro or what?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 10:50 EST
From: HENRY YEE <HENRY@atc.bendix.com>
Subject: 800k drives on an older Mac

IN%"Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.EDU"
IN%"ELIOT@cs.umass.edu"

>   Will a 512K unenhanced work with an 800K external drive?  My mother
>   has one and her old 400K external drive died.  The options seem
>   to be to get a "new" 400K drive for $55 mail order, or an 800K for
>   $150 or so, or to have it enhanced for $299 or both for about $450.

I use a Chinon 800k drive with a Mac512, not enhanced, not plus.  The Mac
still has the 400k internal drive and the 64-k ROMs.  I understand the Chinon
can be used with the Mac128, but I can't confirm this.

The drive connects to the Mac in the same place as the old external drive and
steals power from the Mac in the same way also.  No system changes or software
changes were made, yet the finder shows the correct number of bytes used and
remaining.  It recognizes 400k disks and 800k disks and automatically reads
both correctly.  Unlike a Mac with an 800k drive, the Chinon does not format
400k, but you can do that with the internal drive.  You may be able to format
400k on the Chinon 800k drive with a newer SYSTEM that asks if you want single
or double sided formatting.  (Or maybe with the 128k ROMS)

CAUTION: A disk formatted for 800k looks UNINITIALIZED to the 400k drive
         and you will be asked if you want to initialize it.

If you want to change a 400k disk to an 800k disk, you may put the disk in the
Chinon and erase it.  (All info is lost, of course.)

The info on the Chinon may not apply to the Ehman or the Magnum or other 800k
drives so be sure to check on the specific drive you choose.

The Chinon is available for $189 at M.A.C. just off the UC Berkeley campus
(800)BUY-A-MAC, (415)644-0516, or for groups and corporate (415)644-0546.
On the east coast it is available at MacCorner in Rockville, MD (301)948-1538
at a slightly higher price.  MacCorner also carries the Ehman.

   NOTE:  This message was prepared in 1987 and prices have fallen since.

So much for fact, now for the fiction.  I am told that two 800k format
standards exist (MFS & HFS); and that I am getting MFS.  A change to the new
ROMs will get me the newer HFS; but the Chinon is compatible with both
800k standards.  The new ROMs format the new standard, but can read and write
both 800k standards as well as the 400k standard.

Mac software is usually supplied in HFS format.  You need to convert it using
a newer machine.  Simply format a disk on the older machine and use the newer
machine to copy the files from the HFS disk to the MFS disk.

Henry Yee
IN%"Henry%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 13:28 EST
From: KSBOLDUAN%AMHERST.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: DAs, SF Get Dialog Box, and PROBLEMS

The situation:
        SE/30, 5 megs, 6.0.3, and a mess o' inits.

The problem:
        None of my DAs that, when run, bring up the SF Get dialog box will
work. Under Multifinder, and yes I do have DA Handler in my System Folder, they
try to run and then as soon as it gets ready to display the dialog box for me
to select a file, the DA Handler quits (i.e. all open DAs quit) before I have a
chance to even see the dialog box. Under the Finder, when it gets to this
stage, I get a System Error Bomb Id #1. This happens for DAs like
SigmaEdit, UnStuffit, and Artisto+. And the Virus Detective DA works fine
unless I try and scan an individual file. As soon as I select that button, it
quits/bombs.
        Another observation: I figured that because Boomerang alters that
dialog box, it might be the culprit, but the problem still happens without it.
But, interestingly enough, the problem seems to disable Boomerang. That is, if
I try and run one of the culprit DAs, and then go into a legitimate SF Get
Dialog box (e.g. in Word) Boomerang is NOT running. (I can tell because it
doesn't present the HD icon). BUT, if I then select Boomerang from the Control
Panel (Just open it, I don't actually have to DO anything to it) then it starts
up again and works fine.

So the problem seems to come from a combination of DAs and the
SF Get Dialog Box. Has anyone run into the same problems? Any suggestions?

I tried turning off al my inits, using just the Finder, and none of it seemed
to work. I'd be happy to completely replace my System, but that would be a pain
and might not even solve the problem. If anyone out there has any ideas, or has
had a similar problem, let me know and I'll summarize for the net.

Kevin Bolduan '91 Amherst College
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet Address

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 10:26:06 CST
From: mka@teller.cray.com (Mark Anderson)
Subject: Desktop PICTs for Mac Pluses

A quick question--
  Does anyone know of an INIT or cdev or whatever to make a PICT file the
desktop pattern in the finder?  I have a Mac Plus and so can't do any fancy
GIFF or other gray-scale stuff.  Just 1-bit "color."  Thanks in advance.

				--Mark Anderson
				  Cray Research, Inc.
				  (mka@zoo2.cray.com)

------------------------------

Date: 13 DEC 89 21:09:19 CST
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DISK PARAM for Atari ST and Commodore Amiga Macintosh emulators

Hello all,

    A few weeks back, An Amiga Amax (the Amiga Macintosh emulator)
user asked what to do about his Control Panel settings, that is,
when he exited the emulator he would lose his settings.  I mentioned
a Mac program that the Atari ST uses for its Macintosh emulator, Spectre
GCR.  The program is Disk Param.
    If anyone needs this incredible program, please send a disk to
the address below with a suitable disk mailer and return postage.
Amiga owners, this will be in Spectre format.  Mac owners, it will
be in HFS format.  Spectre 128 owners, it will be in Spectre format.
Spectre GCR owners, hee hee, the program is included with your GCR
package on the Mac PD Disk.  Please specify which computer format
you need, either Macintosh or Spectre.
    Note, I would upload Disk Param to the List Server but our
Honeywell CP6 does stupid things to our transmissions.  We can
receive encoded and .HQX files but can't transmit them.  Anyway,
my address is:

Larry Rymal
Box 14127 -- Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, Texas  75962

    Below, is a copy of the "READ_ME" DiskParm DOC.  It explains, I
think, the history and workings of DiskParm far better than I can.

==================
...DOCUMENTATION FOR DISK PARAM....

        On the Macintosh, the Control Panel settings are saved to a battery
backed-up area of RAM called Parameter RAM.  Because of the obvious differences
between a "real" Mac and the ST, Spectre GCR doesn't offer a
way to "save" your Control Panel settings.

        Enter....DISK PARAM!!

        Disk Param was written (I am told) by a wonderful Mac user named Dan
Webb.  It seems that the Parameter RAM section on Mr. Webb's Mac got
fried, leaving him with no way to save his Control Panel settings (key
click speed, mouse speed, etc.).  Being a clever person, Mr. Webb wrote a
program to save his setting to DISK...rather than RAM!

        Mr. Webb uploaded his creation to a Mac BBS and, fortunately for us, a
Spectre GCR user found it and tried it.  IT WORKED!!!!

        Inside the STUFFIT file, in addition to this DOC file, you should have:

o Disk Param  --  The actual INIT program file
o Param File  --  File containing the "saved" Control Panel settings.

        Using Disk Param is VERY simple and totally automatic.  Simply place
both the "Disk Param" file and the "Param File" file in the SYSTEM
FOLDER.  Disk Param is an INIT and, as such, loads automatically at boot
up.  From that point, all changes you make to any of your Control Panel
settings will be automatically saved to the "Param File".  Just leave the
two files in your System Folder and each time you boot up, your Control
Panel settings will be set to YOUR personal choices!!!

        The "Time" and "Date" settings inside the Control Panel are NOT saved
by Disk Param (as they shouldn't be!).  Time and Date function as they normally
should with Spectre GCR, [i.e., whatever the time was when the
Atari ST was first given power].

        I would like to thank Mr. Dan Webb for writing this GREAT program!!!

        I would also like to thank Fred Beckman of Atari Base BBS for sharing
this with Gadgets by Small RoundTable/Spectre users!

Enjoy!

Mark (STace) Gadgets by Small RoundTable on GEnie!

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 20:00:21 EDT
From: "Evan Stark, CUNY Graduate School Computer Center"
Subject: ftp'ing directories

Does anyone know how to 'get' folders (and recursively any sub-folders)
>From a Mac or appletalk network to another Mac or remote machine using
ftp?  I've tried the 'mget' command from various ftp implementations on
IBM mainframes, an RT running BSD 4.3, and a VAX, and all respond with
variations on a message to the effect that they can't get the file list
>From the folder(s) on the Mac.  From a mac running the BYU NCSA Telnet,
'mput' was similarly useless in moving folders to a remote machine.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 16:09:18 -0600
From: chrisj@emx.utexas.edu (Chris Johnson)
Subject: Gatekeeper Aid 1.0 released!

Gatekeeper Aid 1.0 of 13-Dec-89
by Chris Johnson (c) 1989

Gatekeeper Aid is a supplement to version 1.1.1 of the Gatekeeper
Anti-Virus System.  Gatekeeper Aid is a new component designed to
locate and remove the WDEF viruses that have recently appeared
and which are not hindered by Gatekeeper's existing security
system.  Gatekeeper Aid also checks for possible future variants
of WDEF.

Gatekeeper Aid automatically checks files as they are used for
the presence of specific viruses and, if viruses are found, it
removes them.  Like Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid runs continuously
without the attention (and usually without the awareness) of the
user.

Unlike Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid requires no configuration by
the user -- it's objectives are specific enough that there's
simply no need for configuration at this point.

Although Gatekeeper Aid is designed to supplement Gatekeeper,
it does not require that Gatekeeper be present in order to
operate.

Cheers,
----Chris Johnson
----Author of Gatekeeper
----chrisj@emx.utexas.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/gatekeeper-aid-10.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1989 06:19:54 PDT
From: blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel)
Subject: GRIPS CD-ROM from Meridian Data

In article <8912130228.AA22626@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
DSPhillips%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Doug S. Phillips) writes:
> The December 1989 issue of BYTE, pages 18 and 22, mentions a CD from
> Meridien Data of Scotts Valley, CA, containing images from Voyager and
> Viking space probes.  The disk is entitled GRIPS, Government Raster-Image
> Processing Software and Data.  Does anyone have a full address for
Meridien
> Data or other comments about this disk and its contents?  Thanks.

Meridian Data, Inc.
5615 Scotts Valley Drive
Scotts Valley, California 95066
telephone: 408/438-3100

The cost is $9.00.  This CD is in ISO 9660 format, with software for both
MS-DOS and Macintosh machines included on disc.  The CD contains over 500
Megabytes of "stuff."

This is one of the first discs I know of to use the Apple Extensions to
ISO 9660 to allow applications to appear on an ISO 9660 formatted CD.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 13:16:19 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Microsoft Rich Text Format

Here is a copy of a file that explains Microsoft's Rich Text
Format for transferring formatted word processing information
between applications/operating systems.

Ken

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/microsoft-rich-text-format.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1989 10:42:58 PST
From: Samson Tu <tu@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mixing memory chips of different speed

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my query about mixing 1-meg memory
chips of different speeds on an SE/30.  Everyone said that as long as every
memory chip is 120 ns or faster, it doesn't matter that some are faster than
others.  Most also said that the SE/30 will use the chips as if all of them
are 120 ns chips (i.e. the slowest).

Samson
-------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 19:40:44 EST
From: Dave_Walker@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Need a bulk formatter for HD floppies.

Does anyone know of (or have) a bulk formatting program which will
initialize a slew of 1.44 Meg floppies all at once?  Using Apple
File Exchange for this purpose is a real pain -- there's got to
be a better way.  Thanks in advance.

 -Dave Walker

  Internet: marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu
    Bitnet: user6a2l@UMICHUB

 Disclaimer: Who am I kidding?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89  16:12:30 EST
From: Jurgenb%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Opinions about Strategic Conquest?

Is there anyone out there who owns or has played "Strategic Conquest?"
I'm a long time Mac user who "in the old days" has been a long time
Apple II user.  If there is one thing I miss about those "good old
days" it's the wealth of high quality games that used to be available
then.  Anyway, I'd like to find a challenging strategy game that won't
"wear out" in 3 days, as is the case for all but a rare few of Mac
games.  All replies appreciated... send private, I will summarize to
the net.

 Icon and      Jurgen Botz
 signature     Internet:    JurgenB@UMass.bitnet   (possibly temporary)
 should be     Compuserve:  70531,600   (70531.600@compuserve.com)
 here. Some    Voice:       US (413) 256-8610
 day! sigh.    Snail Mail:  11 S. Prospect St., Amherst, MA 01002, USA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 01:20:34 EST
From: Bob_Voelker@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: OzTeX array sizes

     Does anyone know how to increase the array sizes in the OzTeX
implementation of TeX?  I wrote a dissertation that had 168 references
in the bibliography, too many for OzTeX.  OzTeX complained that the hash
table overflowed.
     Also, is there a copy of the OzTeX *systems* manual (NOT the *users*
manual) available somewhere for ftp downloading?
     Thanks for any leads.
     Bob Voelker
     Solid-State Electronics Lab
     EECS Building
     Univ. of Michigan
     Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2122

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 09:02:02 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Reaching AppleLink from InterNet

Greetings,

AppleLink can be reached in a manner of speaking from InterNet.  You can
send mail to AppleLink addresses by sending to "username@applelink.apple.com".
Also, some of the tools available from Developer Technical Services are
available on InterNet via anonymous FTP from apple.com.

              Bruce A. Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator
        Boise State University, 1910 University Drive, Boise, ID  83725
                                (208) 385-1250
CREN (BITNet):  duscarte@idbsu                           CompuServe:  76666,511
InterNet:  duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu           PLATO: carter/idaho/pca
AppleLink:  U0919                                    bruce carter/visitors/cerl
UUCP:  sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Bruce_Alan_Carter  ( <-- I think)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 20:45:13 EST
From: Mohamad Daimon <daimon@hydra.bucknell.edu>
Subject: Request for Prototyper 2.1 Demo

Hi,
     I know there is a Prototyper 2.1 Demo somewhere. I saw it on American
OnLine but didn't download it because the file was big. Could someone who
has it please upload it to info-mac. I am sure other people would like to
try it too.

-Mo
daimon@hydra.bucknell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  2-Dec-89 18:16:56 PST
From: portal!cup.portal.com!pyxis_customer_support@sun.com
Subject: Retouch V1.6.1, 1 of 6

[Retouch V1.6.1 - part 1 of 6]
Retouch, an image-processing/retouching/special-effects program for the Mac
512KE, Plus, SE, and II.  With Retouch you can:

* Manipulate black-and-white (bitonal), 4-bit, and 8-bit gray-scale images.
* Open and save images in TIFF, compressed TIFF, and MacPaint formats.
* Convert images from one format to another, and convert PICTs to images.
* Print images on an ImageWriter or LaserWriter printer.
* Transfer images to or from other programs using the clipboard or TIFF files.
* Cut, copy, and paste selected areas.
* Blend multiple images with a large selection of special effects.
* Cut out selected areas, trim away unneeded background, or crop images to a
  given size.
* Enlarge or reduce images by percentage or to a given size.
* Rotate images to any angle.
* Flip images left-to-right or top-to-bottom.
* Fill selected areas with any of 63 shades of gray, as well as black and
  white.
* Change brightness and contrast of selected areas.
* Apply sophisticated image-processing techniques to enhance low-quality
  images.
* Smooth or sharpen selected areas.
* Trace edges.
* Magnify or shrink an image by any percentage.
* Choose from two levels of quality (fast or best).
* Choose from three halftoning methods.
* Change image resolution (dots per inch) to any value.
* Convert images from bitonal to gray-scale, or vice-versa.

This file contains the Retouch application and a sample image.  Documentation
in MacWrite format is posted separately.  Retouch is Shareware.

Requires StuffIt for decompression.

This posting is version 1.6.1.  It includes several bug-fixes and performance
improvements for reading and writing TIFF files.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/retouch-161.hqx; 160K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 15:52 CST
From: Bev <ACS_BEV%uwrf.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scientific graphing package for the Mac

We are in the process of setting up a small Macintosh lab (6 Mac SEs with 20 Mb
hard drives) for use with our Freshman Physics lab.  We are looking for some in-
expensive (around $100) software that does scientific graphing, and allows for
easy input (e.g. spreadsheet like).  Most of the spreadsheet software is orient-
ed towards business graphics, but we want x/y line graphs and true histograms.

Because of lack of funds we will be restricted to Macs with 1Mb of memory.

If anyone has found such a package, or has any suggestions I would appreciate
hearing about it.

Please reply directly to me via EMAIL as I do not subscribe to the mailing list.

Many thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 89 14:44:15 -0500
From: earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: Stevie 3.69, a vi clone

This is a Mac port of Stevie 3.69, a vi clone.  This version has
many more vi features implemented, including regular expression string
substitution.

This copy will handle non-ASCII characters, but it thinks about the
same of NULs as does the real vi.

Source included.

Earle R. Horton

[Archived as /info-mac/app/stevie-369-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/app/stevie-369-part2.hqx; 140K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 DEC 89 12:11 N
From: RONCHETTI%ITNVAX.CINECA.IT@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SUN-2/50 Screen on a Mac ???

We have an old SUN 2-50 which broke down, and might not be worth repairing.
So I'm trying to find uses for its working parts.
It's monitor is beautiful, and it could be a 2-pages screen for a Mac, if I
knew how to interface it. Anybody out there knows if it is possible, and how
to do it? Please answer to me, I'll summarize. (RONCHETT@ITNVAX.bitnet)
        Thanks!
                Marco Ronchetti

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 20:57:23 MST
From: t-jacobs%ced@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: Take-A-Letter version 1.1

Take-A-letter is an application to create stand alone documents.
Double click on the document and it opens itself up. Great for
creating documentation to send along with stuff you post.

Version 1.1 produces smaller letters.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/take-a-letter-11.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 07:37:17 CST
From: shulman@sdrvx2.sinet.slb.com (Jeffrey Shulman)
Subject: VirusDetective 3.1.1

VirusDetective is a DA for tracking down viruses (or any resources) in
files.  You specify the resource type and various attributes.  Once the
offending resource is found it can optionally be removed from the file
(use this feature with caution) or file deleted.  The user can update
the search list at any time.  Shareware.

Version 3.1.1 corrects a bug where it fails to indicate a match when
called from VirusBlockade II and no windows are open.

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/virus-detective-311.hqx; 85K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 08:00:30 PST
From: jln@acns.nwu.edu
Subject: Virus Encyclopedia

[I'm posting this to info-mac on behalf of the author, who is having problems
with his mailer]

Attached is a new version of the Virus Encyclopedia HyperCard stack.  I have
updated the stack to include the WDEF virus and all those variants of nVIR
that have appeared since its last release.  Which release you have can be
determined by the date modified listing on the Disclaimer card.  This latest
release is dated 12/12/89.

Henry C. Schmitt
Author of Virus Encyclopedia

  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/virus-encyclopedia.hqx; 76K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 09:56:59 PST
From: JMUELLER%PPC.MFENET@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Z... the mark of Zorro or what?

In my wanderings about the FTP countryside looking for
good graphics for StartUpScreens, DeskTops, etc, I have
encountered a file of the type:
tiger_lady:mp.z
I guessed z may be short for Zipper but it won't UnZip.
I did some minor filetype tinkering, again to no avail.
Is Z unusable in the Mac world?
Am I just not trying hard enough?
Is there a Z translator I haven't stumbled across yet?
Is my deodorant still working?
And what about Naomi?

If this is of general intrest, I will SUMARIZE on Info-Mac.

Ad Astra!
Jim Mueller
JMUELLER@PPC.MFEnet                     via MFEnet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@NMFECC.LLNL.GOV     via Internet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@LBL.Bitnet          via Bitnet
PS I an still receiving replys from my previous monster
quiz. I'll SUMARIZE when they quit.

End of Info-Mac Digest