Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/24/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 23 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 225

Today's Topics:
                     16Mhz 68000 in MacPlus/SE ??
                           Add/Strip 2.8.5
                   AppleShare Distribution List...
                    BinHex/StuffIt incompatibility
                        CONTROLLING HD ACCESS
                       DAMenuz on a Portable...
                 DAs, SF Get Dialog Box, and PROBLEMS
                       Don't order from Jasmine
                      FTP-ing Directly to HP9000
              How does one download GIF files (non-.hqx)
                How to determine hard drive interleave
                       Industrial/Rugged Macs?
                       Laserwriter cover pages
                    MACINTOSH MOUSE TRIGGER DEVICE
                           MicroEmacs 3.10a
                posting of CDEV to improve scroll bars
                             PrintServer
               Problem with Boomerang2.0b9 on a MAC IIx
                         Protection for HD's
                      Rotated Portrait Display?
     SysEnvirons vs. LSP 2.0X (was: Re: Info-Mac Digest V7 #219)
                      Trouble deleting a folder
                   Word Menus with Stepping Out II
                           Z-ats all folks.

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 19 DEC 89 22:54 CET
From: UG142BC%DM0LRZ01.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: 16Mhz 68000 in MacPlus/SE ??

Hi, recently an article appeared in a german computer
magazin, which suggested an exchange of the 8Mhz 68000
processor against an 16Mhz 68000. They reported no timing
problems. If anybody out there has made any experiences
or has comments on this issue, I would like to hear of them.
If there is sufficient interest, I will post a summary.

-- Markus.   Bitnet: ug142bc@DM0LRZ01

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 18:36:13 PST
From: Barrett P. Eynon <barry@playfair.stanford.edu>
Subject: Add/Strip 2.8.5

Add/Strip modifies TEXT files for easier reformatting in page layout & wp
programs. Blank line control, expand tabs, add/strip CRs/LFs, make
paragraphs, force line width, space runs to Tabs, WS to text, CSV to Tab
delim, Tab delim to fixed/variable, smart quotes, alter case, ligatures,
replace chars, etc. Vers 2.8.5; adds help text copy to clip, opt. invisible
character override when browsing & more. Shareware $25. >Author: Jon Wind -
70167,3444 (CIS)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/add-strip-285.hqx; 109K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 15:18:15 PST
From: shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: AppleShare Distribution List...

Hi all,

I am starting out a distribution list from my site <sutro.sfsu.edu> named
talk-apshare.  Basically it is an interest group on or about the AppleShare
LAN.  All request to be added will be accepted.

To join, please send e-mail to <talk-apshare-request@sutro.sfsu.edu>.  All
message should be send to <talk-apshare@sutro.sfsu.edu>.

Thank you very much,

Shahryar G. Hashemi--Moderator

<shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 09:34:22 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com
Subject: BinHex/StuffIt incompatibility

The problem you're seeing is probably due to an acknowledged bug in
the BinHex 4.0 decoder... it won't correctly decode files if the
name of the output file exceeds a certain number of characters (21
or so?).  This problem occurs with all BinHex-format files... whether
encoded with BinHex 4.0 or StuffIt.

StuffIt decodes these files correctly, regardless of their origin.

------------------------------

Date: 19 DEC 89 10:31:16 CST
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CONTROLLING HD ACCESS

Regarding numerous postings I see from overworked lab managers and
the like---who need to manage access to their computer's files, etc.
Cassidy and Greene company have begun announcing a program
called A.M.E  (Access Managed Enviornment) that may just
fill the requirements.  I understand it is in limited, gama
version release.

You can call 800-359-4920 to request a brochure.

If anyone actually sees a copy of this application, I'd like to
hear your comments-
Ron Rushing
Education Media Center
S.F.A  University
Nacogdoches, TX  755962
RRUSHING@SFAUSTIN.BITNET

RON RUSHING  <rrushing@sfaustin.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Dec 89 04:17:52-PDT
From: Elliot Bennett <ELLIOT@star3.stanford.edu>
Subject: DAMenuz on a Portable...

I just thought that I would mention that I can't seem to get DAMenuz to
work with the Control Panel on a Mac Portable (system 6.0.4).  No matter
what I select, it comes up with either General or init/cdev.  Anybody
else seen this?

Elliot Bennett
elliot@star.stanford.edu
-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 12:08:52 PST
From: hayp04@csa2.lbl.gov
Subject: DAs, SF Get Dialog Box, and PROBLEMS

Kevin Bolduan asks about the problem using SF Dialog in DAs.  I think
either DA Handler or System file is corrupted.  First, try to replace
DA Handler (this is easy).  If this does not help, start up from a floppy
with a fresh system with some of your DAs and see if it works.
Boomerang does not work after the crash, whatever it may be, and when
you open Control Panel, Boomerang tries to recover.

Hiro Yamamoto

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89  12:19:47 CST
From: Phys300%UNLCDC3.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Don't order from Jasmine

I like my Jasmine drive.  It has been reliable and it was cheap.
What more could I want. Right?  Well...
I recommended Jasmine to two people in the department who then
ordered drives in SEPTEMBER!!  They are still waiting and waiting.
And of course Jasmine's telephone manners are not so good either.
You are put on hold forever and if you leave a message for call
back, well, don't expect to hear anything.  I know the company
has had some trouble, but this is ridiculous.
   So, if you need a hard drive, say, within the next month or
4, do not, I repeat, do not order from Jasmine.

Glenn Sowell
Department of Physics
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0111

(402) 472-6279   or PHYS300@UNLCDC3.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 13:40:07 PST
From: LOUIE CASAGRANDE <casagrande%crcvax@nssdca.span.nasa.gov>
Subject: FTP-ing Directly to HP9000

Fellow Nethacks,
I have a problem which I have yet to see addressed on the network.  I have an
HP9000 Series 300 "Technical Computer" on which I collect massive amounts of
data.  Recently I received a software package which allows the computer to act
as an FTP server (and also to FTP and TELNET from it).  I'd like to be able to
set the HP up as the server and FTP into it from my Mac.  Unfortunately, NCSA
Telnet is inadequate because the software package on the HP does not accept
incoming Telnet requests, yet that is the only way to establish a connection
with NCSA.  Does anyone know of a Mac package which will directly establish an
FTP connection with a remote server?  Please reply directly, and if there is
sufficient interest, I can summarize to the net.  Thanks in advance.

Lou Casagrande                                      (516)346-6379
Grumman Corporate Research Center                Mail Stop A02-26
Bethpage, NY 11714-3580

"CRCVAX::CASAGRANDE"@NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV (BitNET)
CASAGRANDE%CRCVAX%NSSDCA@SDS.SDSC.EDU (ArpaNET)
NSSDCA::CRCVAX::CASAGRANDE (SPAN)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 22:52:26 EST
From: DOUG JOHNSON - GEOGRAPHY  <djohnson@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: How does one download GIF files (non-.hqx)

How does one download *.GIF files so that they are compatible with
programs such as VisionLab or GIFconvertor? (i.e., these are not
GIF files that have been BINHEXed).

e-mail answers and 'I'd like to know too', and if there are enough
of the latter, I'll summarise for the newsgroup.

DJ.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 09:26:01 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How to determine hard drive interleave

I am trying to find a utility that will determine what the interleave is
on a previously formatted drive. This would be a very handy utility in
an environment that has many different models of Mac and hard drives.

Also, does anyone know how Apple's HD Setup hard drive formatting software
works? Most formatting applications I have used allow the user to set
the interleave or at least lets you know what the interleave is set to.
HD Setup doesn't do either - it just formats.

Merry Christmas.

Bob Bolt                   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre  CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta      AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 07:47:03 CST
From: knight@swfmc1.sinet.slb.com (Francis Knight, EMUK Felixstowe, 0394 275842)
Subject: Industrial/Rugged Macs?

  Well, it's finally beginning to look as if I'll be getting a Mac for our
Department this side of New Year, so I don't feel such a fraud making my
first posting to Info-Mac now!
  Of course, having broken through the prejudice that "Anything a Mac can do,
a PC can do better", the next twist will be "Pretty pictures, but it's not
much use for anything else"!
  I'm sure Mac technology could assist greatly in our testing programs, but
we are faced with somewhat inhospitable conditions, so conventional
packaging is not ideal. So:

1 Does anyone 'Ruggedise' standard Macs?

2 Does anyone produce a Eurocard form factor Mac compatible or emulator?

     In the UK I can, for instance get a PC-AT (12 MHz 286, 1MB, standard
     console & disc interfaces) compatible, in IEEE1000 STEbus single eurocard
     format, for about 700 pounds sterling. These board-level products,
     software compatible with desktop machines seem to be quite a vigorous
     market, to judge from reading the 'trades'. VXIbus also seems set for
     take-off. It would be a pity if the Mac philosophy were to be
     unrepresented.

3 Are there any Arcnet boards for standard Macs?

In anticipation of a deluge of information, I promise I'll summarise any

  Francis H Knight                |        knight@swfmc1.sinet.slb.com
  SIEM                            |
  Felixstowe, UK                  |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 22:58:33 GMT
From: JDM16%PHOENIX.CAMBRIDGE.AC.UK@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Laserwriter cover pages

Hope this gets through

Does anyone know of a way to set up a standard Appletalk networked Laserwriter
so that a cover page is _automatically_ printed out with every document, from
any application, which shows the number of pages in that document (other
information might be useful too)? The situation is a public use Laserwriter for
which users are charged. Given the number of such instalations, I would be
amazed if someone has not done something about this yet. Solutions can be
software or hardware, but ought to be cheap (or even free) as we are an
educational establishment with a tight budget.

Please reply direct, if possible.

Yours, John McKinley (jdm16@phx.cam.ac.uk - a BITNET address)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 12:43:54 CST
From: GR2194%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MACINTOSH MOUSE TRIGGER DEVICE

I AM TRYING TO LOCATE A DEVICE OR SCHEMATIC TO CONSTRUCT A DEVICE
}iTHAT COULD REPLACE THE MOUSE AND SEND A 'MOUSE DOWN' COMMAND TO THE
MAC. THIS DEVICE WOULD BE TRIGGERABLE BY A HALF-VOLT (OR LESS)
SIGNAL FROM AN EXTERNAL TRIGGER SOURCE.  IT WOULD, IN ESSENCE, ALLOW
ONE TO TELL THE MAC TO DISPLAY, FOR EXAMPLE, A NEW HYPERCARD CAR}iD AS
A MEANS FOR PRESENTING A NEW DISPLAY TO A SUBJECT IN AN EXPERIMENT.
IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SUCH A DEVICE OR AN EASY WAY TO CONSTRUCT ONE, PLEASE
CONTACT RICHARD WELSER AT GR2194.SIUCVMB OR WRITE ME AT THE
PSYCHOLOGY DEPARTMENT, SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, CARBONDALE,IL
62901 (TEL:618-536-2301).  ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 23:59:20 -0500
From: earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: MicroEmacs 3.10a

MicroEmacs 3.10(alpha), Macintosh executable and partial documentation.
The Macintosh-specific code is a complete rewrite.  Support for
characters.  Status messages in your choice of six different languages:
Igpay Atinlay, Deutsch, American, Francais, Espanol, Dutch (sp?).

Dan Lawrence et. al. have really done a bang-up job on this one.  Searches
are much faster, mouse support is somewhat better, macro language is more
robust, new commands, etc., etc.

Earle R. Horton

[Archived as /info-mac/app/microemacs-310a.hqx; 180K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 01:43 EST
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK_E75@db1.cc.rochester.edu>
Subject: posting of CDEV to improve scroll bars

This is a CDEV that changes that standard scroll bar into a
"double-arrow" one, that is you can scroll up and down using arrows
at either end of the scroll bar.  Very handy.  It also has the features
listed below:

[taken from the documentation]
This is my version of the scroll bar's Control Definition (CDEF). This
CDEF has special "shift" and "option" key combinations during mouse-clicking
within the "page up" and "page down" regions of the scroll bars. The following
table shows all the combinations :

Page Region	Mouse-click & key combination		Action

Page Up		Mouse-click				page up
Page Up		Mouse-click + "option" key		page down
Page Up		Mouse-click + "shift" key		scroll up
Page Up		Mouse-click + "shift" + "option" key	scroll down

(AltCDEF was written by Alexander S. Colwell)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/alt-cdef.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 15:08:16 PST
From: shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: PrintServer

Hi all,

I am running an AppleShare LAN on a Mac SE/30 with 2MB RAM and a 40MB internal
HD and an external 66MB Rodime.  We recently purchased PrintServer from Apple
and since I have installed it on our server, it has gone down 5 times already.
I have only captured one ImageWriter and it seems to only bring problem
instead of solutions.

Can you please send any info you have for me regarding this to
<suggestions@sutro.sfsu.edu>

Shahryar

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1989 11:52:45 CST
From: FILLERS@snow.cmc.uab.edu
Subject: Problem with Boomerang2.0b9 on a MAC IIx

 Hi and Merry Christmas:

  I am having a problem with Boomerang2.0b9. I have been using this cdev
on my MAC II. We just bought a MAC IIx at work and I have been trying to
get Boomer to work on it. Whenever I try to open the cdev from the
control panel, I get the following error message:

	Sorry, the Control Panel cannot get a needed resource.

We are using Finder 6.1 and System 6.0.3. Is anybody using Boomerang on
a IIx or does anyone have a suggestion as to how to find out what resource
the control panel can't get? Thanks in advance.

Jim Fillers
Manager, Computing Facilities
University of Alabama

BITNET: fillers@uabcmc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 18:38:16 PST
From: shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: Protection for HD's

Hi all,

I am looking for a protection program for my HD where I can setup users to have
access to certain folders and be able or unable to create folders and/or files.

Please send all info on this matter to <suggestions@sutro.sfsu.edu>.

Shahryar

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 11:37:10 EST
From: Martin Ewing <ewing-martin@YALE.EDU>
Subject: Rotated Portrait Display?

Recently I acquired a IIci with a Portrait Display.  This is fine for most
text-oriented applications, but not so good for CAD.  For that, a landscape
aspect would be better.

Here's the question:  Does anyone have, or care to write, an application
that rotates the display 90 degrees? (Also 180, 270 -- why not?)  This should
be "easy" once you know how to trap all quickdraw to the screen -- like
Stepping Out, for example.

Another issue is whether the portrait display will run without overheating
on its side...

Hopefully,

Martin Ewing
Science and Engineering Computing Facility, Yale University
Ewing@Yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 15:18:06 PST
From: 6600pete%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu
Subject: SysEnvirons vs. LSP 2.0X (was: Re: Info-Mac Digest V7 #219)

> I am running THINK Pascal 2.02 on a IIcx, and it doesn't know about SysEnvirons
> or the SysEnvRecPtr data structure. I can't find these things in any library or
> interface unit either.

There's a good reason for that. Inside Mac is "wrong." Strange but true.

Try calling SysEnvirons as if it were declared thus:

   FUNCTION SysEnvirons ( sysEnvVersNum : INTEGER;
                          VAR theWorld : SysEnvRec ) : OSErr;

Good luck.

Pete Gontier   | InterNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu, BitNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa
Editor, Macker | Online Macintosh Programming Journal; mail for subscription
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 11:16 CST
From: John Barton <BARTON@lolita.biochem.nwu.edu>
Subject: Trouble deleting a folder

  Hello.
  I have created a folder which I seem to be unable to delete.
Dragging it to the trash and selecting "Empty Trash" causes the "The Trash
couldn't be emptied (a file was busy or a folder was not empty)" dialog
to appear.  I have seen this problem before, and normally rebooting will
clear it up.  It seems to be caused by saving a file in a folder, then
deleting the file from the Finder.
  Finder Info on the folder claims that it is using 0K for 0 files, but
DiskTop claims that there is one file in the folder, occupying 1K.  ResEdit
will not "cut" the folder, claiming that "That operation is invalid for non-
empty folders."
  I am using System 6.0.2, Finder 6.1, and a bunch of INITs/cdevs (I have tried
turning them all off, but the folder is still not deletable).

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Please send replies
directly to me (barton@lolita.biochem.nwu.edu).

--John Barton

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89  15:32:22 EST
From: 3man%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Word Menus with Stepping Out II

Howdy,

  When I use Stepping Out II with Microsoft Word 4.0, the long menus do not
display correctly (e.g. The FONT menu (which should scroll, does not)).  Has
anybody encountered this problem?  Or better yet, a solution???

                       Thanks in advance!                  -John
+-------------------------+-----------------------------+
! Bitnet:3Man@UMASS       ! 204 Pierpont                !
! CompuServe:70406,1421   ! University of Massachusetts !
! Phone: (413) 546-5181   ! Amherst, MA  01003          !
+-------------------------+-----------------------------+

P.S.  Please send replies to this message to 70406.1421@Compuserve.com,
      as I will be unable to read mail at UMass during the winter break.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 09:46:05 PST
From: JMUELLER%PPC.MFENET@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Z-ats all folks.

Thank you one and all who replied to my "Z" question.
For those of you like me who are Unix-illiterate (Unix? Aren't they the
guys with big fans and no... oh skip it.) the replies boil down to:
Z is the Unix file extention for Compressed files.
Sort of like .sit for StufIt files on the Mac.
They may be uncompressed on a Unix machine by using "uncompress", then
down loaded to your Mac in binary or MacBinary format.
Or they can be downloaded in binary and then uncompressed using
MacCompress 3.2 from the InfoMac archives (util/maccompress-32.hqx).
According to Anthony Graves of UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU, the file will then
be in MacBinary format which is then de-MacBinaried with Binhex 5.0.
I am unable to test this out as I foolishly deleted my test file, and
I can neither recall nor re-locate where I found it in the first place.

Once again, thank you and a Happy Yuletide to all!

Ad Astra!
Jim Mueller
JMUELLER@PPC.MFEnet                     via MFEnet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@NMFECC.LLNL.GOV     via Internet