Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/25/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 24 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 226

Today's Topics:
                 6.0.4 not releasing memory properly
            Are Ehman monitors as good as they are cheap?
                    Control of Pioneer Laser Disk
                           Dayna's address
                     Devnagri script for the mac
                                fonts
                         IBM Supports Apple?
                    Mailing Label Templates Needed
                              MCI Telex
                         Mighty Nerd summary
                Need info: HyperHit (SoftStream Int'l)
                 New mailing list for Microsoft Word
PC's reading Mac disks, and Word (for PC) reading Word (for Mac) files
                              Physic(s)
                       Seasons Greetings * O *
               Sharing a SCSI Drive w/Mac & LaserWriter
                      Solution of Non-linear DEs
                           THINK C Question
        UNIX/VMS/PC ZModem Utility Package v3.03 (Part 1 of 4)
                 WDEF / Apology to Mainstay Software

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 21 Dec 89   16:36 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: 6.0.4 not releasing memory properly

Date: 21 December 1989, 16:27:51 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: 6.0.4 not releasing memory properly

Has anyone noticed a problem with System 6.0.4 not releasing memory properly
under MultiFinder?  My programmer has been complaining that when he quits an
application, the memory isn't being released for new applications unless he
quits ALL his applications.  Alternatively, sometimes it is released when he
quits just a few (but often not when he just quits one).  It doesn't seem to
be just a lack of proper window update for the GetInfo window--his applica-
tions are failing to run with "Not Enough Memory" type errors.

He's got a IIci, 5M (including 4M @ 70ns) RAM, and a TON of inits.

Thanks,  Ted
Theodore Allan Morris                         | 231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Medical Center       | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Medical Center Information and Communications | 513-558-6046 (W), 731-3451 (H)
Information Research and Development          | WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
==============================================| or AppleLink U1091
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'!         | (you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 89 02:51:41 GMT
From: Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: Are Ehman monitors as good as they are cheap?

Tom Rocklin <CEDROCPA@uiamvs.bitnet> writes:

>The subject line sums it up.  Are there any satisfied users of Ehman
>19 inch monochrome monitors out there?  A an advertised price of
>$899, it looks like a heck of a deal.

We are considering some for some DTP installations. We  ill order
at least one because there is a 30 day money-back guaranty. An
associate called Ehman and reported to me that they have been shipping
now for only one week. They have been in production for about 2 months.
There is about a 2 to 3 week backlog at this time.

I, like you, am interested in more info. Heck, I want to SEE one.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 11:34:50 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: Control of Pioneer Laser Disk

What is available for controling a Pioneer Laser Disk from a Mac?
A department here has purchased one and is looking for a way to use
it interactively via Mac.  I believe what they are looking for are
tools to build custom applications or Hypercard Stacks which would
interace with the Disk Player.
Acknowledge-To: <C4898@UMSLVMA>

-------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 23:51:59 CST
From: kc_yeo@sngsf1.sinet.slb.com (KC Yeo*Sedco Forex S'pore*Tel-65-345-9944*Fax-65-344-2655)
Subject: Dayna's address

Hi, does anyone know if the following company has an electronic address
somewhere in the nets ?
Dayna Communications, Inc.
50 South Main Street, Fifth Floor
Salt Lake City, Utah 84144
thank you,
Arthur,
Republic of Singapore

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Dec 89 14:57:11-PST
From: Prasanna Mulgaonkar <PRASANNA@robotx.sri.com>
Subject: Devnagri script for the mac

Does anybody have access to or knowledge of any public domin/commercial
	version of the Indian Devnagri script for the Mac. Bitmap (non-laser)
	fonts are acceptable. Please reply direct to me.

	Thanks. 		Prasanna Mulgaonkar
				prasanna@robotx.sri.com
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 14:16:49 +0100
From: HFPENAE%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: fonts

I'm looking for screen fonts in unusual sizes:

    8 10 12 14 18 24 25 30 35 45 60

Are there any fonts in the archives with these sizes? It would be
great if I could find the normal Apple fonts in these sizes, as my
Grappler uses a '2.5 times as large font'for scaling down for the printer .

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 16:09:26 CST
From: Paul Heroy <HEROY%LSUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: IBM Supports Apple?

I just have to comment on the latest issue of PC Week magazine. There's an
article about IBM's expanding multivendor support, which will now include
support for Apple software and hardware! This means tthat IBM has now made a
much larger commitment to supporting Macs than Apple ever has. Not only is
this a huge about-face for IBM, but also a tremendous embarrassment for
Apple, IMHO. So whatdya say, Mr. Sculley, is this REALLY gonna be the 'Year
of the Customer' for Apple, or for IBM?

Also, the other shoe finally dropped in Apple's suit against Microsoft and
HP. Xerox is now sueing Apple.... Opinion so far seems to be that this suit
has as much merit as Apple's (nearly none).

Where's Santa when you need him?

Paul Heroy      BITNET: HEROY@LSUVM     INTERNET: snhero@lsuvm.sncc.lsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 13:10:48 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mailing Label Templates Needed

I find that one of the most frustrating things I am frequently called
on to do is to print 1-inch high, three across labels using either
Word 4.0 or FileMaker II on a LaserWriter or DeskWriter.  Endless
messing around gives results that look good on the screen, but mess
up when printed (I tell word to give me 1" high rows in a table, for
instance, to create labels, but they print on the DeskWriter just a
little shy of an inch, causing my labels to creep up the page slightly
and throw off my layout toward the bottom).  Word doesn't cotton to
having the page setup set for no margins when you are printing on a
LaserWriter or DeskWriter either.  All four margin boxes in the
page setup window are set at zero; but a 1/4" or so margin is neverthe-
less clearly visible in page preview mode.  I know that the printers
won't print in the last quarter or half inch; but I want to use that
space for laying out my labels: I don't like the program to second-
guess me.

In FileMaker setting up three-across labels looks deceptively simple
but I've had difficulties with alignment there too.  Despite the fact
that the inch high, three across format is extremely common (its the
ONLY label format the local copyshops can handle), neither program
provides a template for it.

If anyone has successfully created labels with either of these programs
in this format, which print exactly centered on the label forms, you
would earn my gratitude and doubtless that of others by uploading
templates for them.  And while we're at it, it would be really useful
to start a collection of other templates for commonly-used Mac
programs.  How about it?

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Dec 89 11:53:49-MST
From: "Eric C. Kofoid" <BI.KOFOID@science.utah.edu>
Subject: MCI Telex

	How can I read MCI Telex mail from my Macintosh sitting on InterNet? I
have a number of relatives and friends worldwide with MCI accounts,
and I've heard it's possible for me to receive messages from them in
this way.

		Cheers,

			Hamid.
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 13:56:20 CST
From: Paul Heroy <HEROY%LSUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mighty Nerd summary

  A few weeks ago I asked about a game, Mighty Nerd, that I'd seen advertised.
Unfortunately, I only got 2 opinions. Fortunately, they were in agreement.
Unfortunately, they were very negative. Apparently the game's very buggy,
ill-implemented, and boring. Too bad.

Date: 21 Dec 89   16:27 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Need info: HyperHit (SoftStream Int'l)

Date: 21 December 1989, 16:23:31 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: Need info: HyperHit (SoftStream Int'l)

We're interested in HyperHit from what we've seen in a little blurb in the
Jan '90 MacUser (p. 62).  However, the phone number there (609-596-4373) is
NOT for the publisher (SoftStream International in New Jersey).  Anybody have
a good phone number for these folks?  There's an address that we'll try, but
I'd like to talk with somebody there myself.

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 11:06 EST
From: Jan <J_RICHARD%hvrford.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Haverford College has started two new lists for Microsoft Word users.

WORD-MAC is a list for users of Microsoft Word running on Macintosh
computers.  It is intended to serve as a forum in which all issues related
to MS Word for the Macintosh, technical and non-technical, may be discussed
in depth.  The list is not currently moderated, but may be at a later date.

Interested persons may subscribe by sending mail (NOT interactive messages)
with a blank subject line and the single command SUBSCRIBE WORD-MAC to
MAILSERV@HVRFORD.BITNET.  Unsubscribing is done in the same manner,
replacing the SUBSCRIBE command with an UNSUBSCRIBE command.  Submissions
for distribution should be mailed to WORD-MAC@HVRFORD.BITNET. The coordinator
for the list is Jan Richard, J_RICHARD@HVRFORD.BITNET.

We have also started a list for Microsoft Word for PC users. It is called
WORD-PC, and can be subscribed to in a similar manner.  The coordinator
for that list is Eric Davies, E_DAVIES@HVRFORD.BITNET.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 15:50:24 EST
From: chris@adms-rad.unisys.com (Chris Sterritt)
Subject: PC's reading Mac disks, and Word (for PC) reading Word (for Mac) files

Hello,

	I was recently asked a set of questions with respect to Macs and IBM
PC (clone) machines.  I don't know the FULL TRUTH, so any answers you can
donate would be appreciated greatly.  The questions are:

	1) Can PC-Class machines with 3 1/2" disk drives read/write Mac
		disks?  400k, 800k, or 1.4m Mac disks?

	2) Can Microsoft Word files, Created on the Mac, be read by
		Word on the PC without change?  How about PC-Created files,
		can they be read on the Mac?

	please reply directly to me, and I will summarize to the net(s).
	thanks very much in advance,
	chris sterritt
	chris@adms-rad.unisys.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1989 13:11:16 EST
From: RICH@suhep.phy.syr.edu   (Richard S. Holmes)
Subject: Physic(s)

"J.M.L.Martin" <LUCTHSCH%BDILUC11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:

>P.S.: did you know that "physics" is supposed to have laxative qualities?
>      At least, that's what the WordFinder thesaurus shipped with Word 4.0
>      says. This is even worse than equating "atheist" with "immoral" (which
>      it also does).

Besides the fact that physics has been known to bore the s*** out of some
people, there's the fact that "physics" is the plural of "physic", defined in
the Random House College Dictionary as

      n. 1. a medicine that purges; cathartic; laxative...

                                                   Rich Holmes

     Richard S. Holmes              Phone: (315)443-3891 or
     Physics Department                            -2701
     Syracuse University            Bitnet:   rich@suhep
     Syracuse, NY 13244             Internet: rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

DISCLAIMER: I have no opinions.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 23:42:55 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Seasons Greetings * O *

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
               From the January 1990 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

Computing in the 90's.
Even though most people aren't aware of it, 1990 is the last
year in the decade, not the first (birthdays occur at the
end of the year, and decades end in a number divisible by
10).  Nevertheless, NeXT chairman, Steve Jobs, has opined
that "The era of personal computing has ended.  The 1990's
will be the era of interpersonal computing."
- PC Week 11 December

Turn-of-the-Century Computing This Year.
Hewlett-Packard has announced plans for a new HP-PA (for
Precision Architecture) line of high performance, single
processor workstations.  By the end of the year, HP intends
to offer a line of RISC CPU's for desktop workstations which
will run in excess of 50 MIPS with a floating-point
performance of 12 to 16 megaflops.  Submicron fabrication
techniques already are in use making test chips which
operate at 60 to 90 MHz.  By 1993 HP expects the HP-PA
workstations to be processing at powers beyond 100 MIPS.
- InfoWorld 11 December

21st Century Computing.
Dreamers at Intel expect CPU speeds of 250 MHz and
performance in excess of 2,000 MIPS by 2,001.  The vision
includes software compatible with 80386 architecture.
- PC Week 4 December

PC on a Card.
Chips & Technologies has developed a complete XT-clone
on-a-card.  The motherboard with 8086 CPU, ROM, 512K RAM,
CGA-compatible graphics adapter, floppy disk controller,
hard disk controller, parallel and serial interfaces and I/O
connectors is only slightly larger than a bank credit card
and 1/4 inch thick.  The card makes an shirt pocket XT-clone
technically feasible.  An 80286-based device is under
development.  - InfoWorld 27 November

IBM Development Plans.
IBM has been telling large customers that a 386 version of
OS/2 that will run in 2 Mbytes (perhaps even with an
application in memory) by the end of the year.  Plans to
offer a low-end six page per minute laser printer to compete
with Hewlett-Packard's LaserJet IIP have been postponed
until sometime later this year.  The delayed RT-3 (see last
October's column) now is scheduled to be announced in
February (maybe March) with initial shipments in April.  The
next version of the PS/2 Model 80 (planned for later this
year) is a 20 MHz 80386 unit with eight 32-bit slots and a
SCSI interface which passed FCC Class B tests (under the
model designation of "85-90") last September.  A 25 MHz
version of the same machine may be along by year's end.  A
color laptop with display by Toshiba should be available by
mid-summer.  Big Blue also plans to phase out all 8088,
8086, and even 80286 systems by 1992.  The low-end systems
targeted for home use will have 80386SX processors.
- InfoWorld 11 & 18 December
  and PC Week 20 November and 11 & 18 December

i486 Delay (Continued).
Problems continue to plague Intel's i486 production line
(see September's column).  True volume production could be
delayed by as much as a year.  - InfoWorld 20 November

i586 (Continued).
Think of the forthcoming i586 CPU (see last August and
October columns) as three 386's, two 387's, and a 64K memory
cache (compared to 8K in the i486) with vector processing
(similar to the i960).  - PC Week 20 November

OS/2 RISC System.
Microsoft is working on an operating kernel for the Intel
i860 RISC chip (see last February, May, and December
columns) that will support either an OS/2 coprocessor (with
this operating system who needs an i486?) or an Unix
substitute.  - InfoWorld 20 November

"Standard" But Not Compatible.
Apparently key parts of the the Extended Industry Standard
Architecture (EISA) specifications are ambiguous enough that
expansion boards may not be compatible among vendors.  The
lack of an independent certification and testing
organization for EISA products is cited as a major reason
why third-party boards may not work with some EISA
computers.  - PC Week 4 December

Many Gigabyte Hard Drives.
IBM scientists have unveiled an experimental hard drive that
stores a gigabyte (1,000 Mbytes) per square inch of disk
surface.  The read-write heads operate at only
two-millionths of an inch above the disk surface (compared
to six to 15 millionths for current drives).  An IBM
spokesman said that "several years" of additional
development work will be needed before this technology can
be incorporated in commercial products.
- InfoWorld 18 December

New Toshiba Laptops.
Toshiba plans to market a 33 MHz 80386 laptop during the
first quarter.  An i486 model with a color display exists,
but a decision on introduction timing has not been reached.
- PC Week 4 December

Projecting Color.
Nview Corporation will soon ship a flat panel device that
uses an overhead projector to display screens in 16 colors
with a 640 by 480 pixel resolution.  The View Frame RGB
electronic transparency panel will list for $4,495.
- InfoWorld 18 December

VAX-Mac Link.
Dec is beta testing software for running Macintoshes
connected to a VAX host under its Personal Computing Systems
Architecture which until now has supported only MS-DOS PCs.
- PC Week 18 December

A LapMac Worth Having.
Dynamac has been authorized by Apple to incorporate the
Apple SE/30 logic board in a portable computer.  Dynamac is
awaiting FCC approval of the Dynamac SE/30 with a 180 Mbyte
hard disk, internal 2400 baud modem, and internal FAX
modem.  A first quarter introduction is planned.  Meanwhile,
Apple's next enhancement of the Mac II series is tentatively
labeled the IIxi.  - InfoWorld 4 December

LapLink Mac.
Traveling Software should begin shipping a new version of
LapLink Mac this month.  The $299.95 (specially reduced from
$300 in honor of the end of the decade) file transfer
program will support up to five users on an Appletalk
network and can transfer single and multiple files at up to
230 Kbits per second.  - InfoWorld 4 December

Mac Agenda.
February 1 is said to be the date for Mitch Kapor's On
Technology's first product introduction (a Macintosh
utility).  However, the company is pinning its future on its
second product (due in March) - a revamped Macintosh version
of Agenda.  - InfoWorld 27 November

Apple RISC Taking.
Sales figures indicate that Apple has purchased more
Motorola 88000 RISC processors than all other customers
combined.  Is Apple planning to build the "World-wide
Information System" for the "rest of us" as well as the
Defense Department (see last month's column)?
- InfoWorld 4 December

Apple Warranty.
Bill Coldrick, Apple's senior vice president for sales, says
that his company is reconsidering its 90 day warranty policy
for Macintoshes and peripherals.  Coldrick indicated that
Apple may announce a one year warranty program similar to
that of other manufacturers early in the next fiscal year.
- InfoWorld 20 November

High Speed Cellular Phone Modem.
Telebit may already be shipping its Cellblazer modem capable
of speeds of up to 16,800 bps over a cellular phone system.
The Cellblazer is backward compatible with Bell 103, Bell
212, V.22, and MNP 4 and 5.  The V.32 standard, however, is
not supported.  The Cellblazer lists for $1,295 and requires
an RJ-11 interface (a $350 cellular phone option).
- InfoWorld 18 December

Fableware.
IBM and other large firms now stage "technology
demonstrations" at trade shows such as Comdex.  The
demonstrations provide a glimpse of the potential of
technology under development, but the real purpose is to
establish "mind space" in the hearts (and hopefully budgets)
of corporate buyers and consumers.  Examples of
demonstrations that resulted in products are IBM's i860
Wizard Card (shown at Comdex a year ago and announced last
month) and the i486 Power Platform (shown last Spring and
announced three months later).  A demonstration does not
commit vendors to a time frame or price, and the product may
never be announced (hence, "fableware").  For example,
Lotus's "Notes" (touted for more than a year) and
Microsoft's "Windows 3.0" (now anticipated for March; stay
tuned) remain "unannounced." - InfoWorld 20 November

Prolog Update.
Prolog Development Center (PDC), an Atlanta company, is
assuming responsibility for development and sales of
Borland's Turbo Prolog.  DOS and PS/2 updates of PDC Prolog
are expected next month.  The price of the DOS version will
be up $100 to $249 and the OS/2 version will be $599.  A $79
upgrade will be offered to the estimated 100 to 200 thousand
users of Turbo Prolog (Borland will continue to support
Turbo Prolog).  - InfoWorld 18 December

1-2-3 for Windows.
Lotus has not made a final decision about releasing their
popular spreadsheet product for the Microsoft Windows
environment.  Design work is underway so that the company
can market a product quickly if they decide to do so.
- InfoWorld 18 December

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 21 Dec 1989 13:57:49 EST
From: m11472@mwvm.mitre.org (Craig M. DeRose)
Subject: Sharing a SCSI Drive w/Mac & LaserWriter

Hello Info-mac,  I want to partition a large SCSI Harddrive for use by both
my Mac and LaserWriter IIntx.  The SCSI bus can support more than one CPU
according to a SCSI hard drive manual I have.  I was wondering if
anyone has tried or seen a way to setup the SCSI bus so that we
could connect both a Mac and a Laserwriter to the same harddrive.
I can think of a one problem right away.  I don't know of a way to change
the SCSI ID # of the Mac or Laserwriter.
Thanks in advance,
As always, I'll summarize the responses.

*  Craig M. DeRose          TeleCo:     703-883-7229
*  The MITRE Corporation    Compuserve: 76247,3205
*  7525 Colshire Drive      ARPA:       cderose@mdf.mitre.org
*  McLean, VA 22102-3481    APPLELINK:  N0764

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 1989 08:44-EST
From: MENDELSOHN@a.isi.edu
Subject: Solution of Non-linear DEs

I am looking for a software package that will solve systems of
Non-Linear Differential Equations with graphics.  Any suggestions
will be appreciated.  Thanks

Jay Mendelsohn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 09:52 EST
From: JACKSON@mecan1.maine.edu
Subject: THINK C Question

I'm new to THINK C, and have a question concerning what I call
type coercion in THINK Pascal. In Object Pascal, if I have a longint
I can coerce it into an object. This is handy for associating windows
with other objects using SetWRefCon and GetWRefCon. Anyway, here's how
it might look:

   VAR myObject: TObject;
       l : longint;

   BEGIN
       myObject:= TObject(l);
   END;

Simple stuff.  In THINK C I need the same result, but can't seem to
figure it out. What am I missing? Please send any replies to me directly.
Thanks in advance.

Jax
jackson@mecan1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 89 12:54:20 -0500
From: hankin@osf.org
Subject: UNIX/VMS/PC ZModem Utility Package v3.03 (Part 1 of 4)

    There seems to be sufficient interest in the lastest version of
    Chuck Forsberg's ZModem utilities (sz, rz and others) to post the
    latest version (that I know of.)  Below is part 1 of 4 in shar
    format.

Scott Hankin  (hankin@osf.org)
Open Software Foundation

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/zmodem-part1.shar; 53K
             /info-mac/unix/zmodem-part2.shar; 42K
             /info-mac/unix/zmodem-part3.shar; 54K
             /info-mac/unix/zmodem-part4.shar; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 09:52:32 PST
From: jln@acns.nwu.edu
Subject: WDEF / Apology to Mainstay Software

I have a major public apology to make to 1st Aid Software.  I just learned
that their product Anti-Virus Kit is effective against the new WDEF virus, and
I have been saying that "none of the popular virus prevention tools were
effective against WDEF."  This was obviously a gross error on my part.  My
only excuse is that I don't have a copy of Anti-Virus Kit that I can use for
testing.  This is not a good excuse - I shouldn't have made the statement if I
couldn't back it up.

1st Aid Software deserves a great deal of credit for having the only virus
prevention tool that was capable of catching WDEF.  Everybody else failed,
including Symantec's SAM, HJC's Virex, Gatekeeper, and Vaccine.  I don't know
about MainStay's AntiToxin - I don't have a copy of that either (yet).

In the future I'll try very hard not to make claims that I can't back up with
solid evidence.

John Norstad         Northwestern University       jln@acns.nwu.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest