[ont.events] U of Toronto computer science activities, April 10-14

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (03/29/89)

        ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEK COMMENCING APRIL 10, 1989
    (SF = Sandford Fleming Building, 10 King's College Road)
         (GB = Galbraith Building, 35 St. George Street)

SUMMARY:

LECTURES ON GRAPH MINORS -- Neil Robertson
   Mon., Apr. 10, 11 a.m., GB119: "An Overview of Graph Minors"

   Wed., Apr. 12, 11 a.m., GB119: "An Outline of a Disjoint Paths Algorithm"

   Thurs., Apr. 13, 10 a.m., GB119: "A Survey of Algorithmic Problems"

COLLOQUIUM - Tuesday, April 11, 11 a.m., SF 1105 -- Gordon Bell
     "New Directions in Supercomputing"

AI SEMINAR - Thursday, April 13, 11 a.m., SF 1105 -- Daniel Huttenlocher
     "Recognizing Solid Objects from a Two-Dimensional Image"

                         Neil Robertson
                      Ohio State University

            Monday, April 10,  11 a.m. in Room GB 119

                  "An Overview of Graph Minors"

          Wednesday, April 12,  11 a.m. in Room GB 119

           "An Outline of a Disjoint Paths Algorithm"

           Thursday, April 13,  10 a.m. in Room GB 119

       "A Survey of Algorithmic Problems in Graph Minors"

COLLOQUIUM - Tuesday, April 11,  11 a.m. in Room SF 1105

                           Gordon Bell
                         Ardent Computer

               "New Directions in Supercomputing"

                      (Abstract to follow)

AI  SEMINAR - Thursday, April 13,  11 a.m.  in  Room SF 1105

                       Daniel Huttenlocher
                       Cornell University

    "Recognizing Solid Objects from a Two-Dimensional Image"

Model-based recognition, in which stored object models are
matched against an unknown image, is an important paradigm in
machine vision.  Particular difficulties are encountered when
matching solid objects against a two-dimensional image of a
three-dimensional scene.  This talk will describe a method for
computing a transformation from a three-dimensional model
coordinate frame to a two-dimensional image coordinate frame.
What distinguishes the method is that three noncolinear model
points and three corresponding image points always define a
transformation that is unique up to a reflective ambiguity.  The
solution method is closed-form and involves only second order
equations.

We have developed a recognition system that uses this
transformation method to determine possible alignments of a model
with an image.  Pairs of local edge features in the model and the
image are used to hypothesize transformations that may align the
model with the image.  Each hypothesis is then verified by
comparing the entire edge contour of the transformed model
against the edges in the image.  This approach will be contrasted
with two common matching methods: parameter hashing and
interpretation tree search.  The alignment method has been
implemented on both a serial processor and on the Connection
Machine, and these implementations have been successfully tested
on occluded objects in highly cluttered scenes.
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (04/10/89)

In article <8903282248.AA08833@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu>
clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) writes:

> COLLOQUIUM - Tuesday, April 11,  11 a.m. in Room SF 1105
>
>                            Gordon Bell
>                          Ardent Computer
>
>                "New Directions in Supercomputing"
>
>                       (Abstract to follow)

Thus far, I haven't seen a followup with the promised abstract.  Was it
posted but (for whatever reason) never made it here, or was the abstract
never received (and therefore never posted)?

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (04/10/89)

In article <148@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>In article <8903282248.AA08833@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu>
>clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) writes:
>
>> COLLOQUIUM - Tuesday, April 11,  11 a.m. in Room SF 1105
>>
>>                            Gordon Bell
>>                          Ardent Computer
>>
>>                "New Directions in Supercomputing"
>>
>>                       (Abstract to follow)
>
>Thus far, I haven't seen a followup with the promised abstract....

I haven't received an abstract to post; sorry.  What happens with these
notices is that the secretary who makes the printed notices mails me the
troff input.  I nroff it and jump up and down on it manually, and post the
version you see.

Bell is also giving a "Lecture" on "The architecture of Ardent supercomputers"
in the same room at 2 p.m. the same day.  Our printed notice looks as if it
has an abstract for that, but closer inspection shows it to be a brief
biography.

Personally, I'd have reversed the classifications of the colloquium and the
lecture.  However, I guess I'd be likely to go on the strength of the speaker's
name, regardless of the title or the classification.