Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/27/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 26 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 228

Today's Topics:
             AddResource Programming Problem -*-Grrrr-*-
                        Alaskan Mammals stack
                        Announcing SwitchBeep!
                        Boomerang 2.0 uploaded
                  CacheControl for '030, '882, Excel
                     Cassette Labeler Stack v1.0
                              DigSim 2.2
                    Eradicat'Em INIT, version 1.0
                   GCC Tech's Business LaserPrinter
                  Here's the 1.3 version of WordRef
                How to determine hard drive interleave
                           HyperFTP-10.hqx
                   Info-Mac Digest V7 #224 (2 msgs)
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #225
                    Installing memory in an SE/30
                             MacPuke Init
                        Multifinder RearWindow
                             SwapMap FKEY
                         WDEF virus...or not?
                              Xlisp 2.0

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 89 07:37 EST
From: WATTS@urhep
Subject: AddResource Programming Problem -*-Grrrr-*-

Hi y'all,
  I gotta simple programming question here.  I have written a program that
copies selected resources from one file to another (the target file is a newly
created resource file).  No matter what I do -- the darned thing won't work.
  Basically, I get the resource handle, create a new handle, copy the data
over, and then add that resource to the new file (using AddResource routine).
I even make sure that the new ID is different to avoid ID conflicts.
  Now the the problem.  In once case I copy only a 30 byte resource in the to
target file.  The program produces a target file of 1K. I try to ResEdit the
file -- I get an error -108 when I try to open resource (not enough space on
heap). Hmm.  I wrote a program that looks at the size of a resource without
  Since the resource file is less that 1K long, I have managed to corrupt the
resource map when creating it.  I don't know how (since SizeResource returns
the correct size during creation).  I must be missing something obvious.  Any
help would be much appr!

	Merry Christmass (amy all your stockings be filled with 4Mb SIMMS!)
		Gordon.

BITNET:   WATTS@UORHEP
INTERNET: gwatts@ruthep.rutgers.edu
USMAIL:	  Gordon Watts
	  Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
	  University of Rochester
	  Rochester, NY
	  14627-0011

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 89 16:22:26 -0900
From: "AB J KUENZLI"  <FTAJK%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Alaskan Mammals stack

   I hope this is done correctly. This is version 1.4a of my Alaskan Mammals
stack. It requires a hard drive and suffit for decompression.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/alaskan-mammals.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 11:16:52 PST
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Announcing SwitchBeep!

Here is SwitchBeep, the beep randomizer for the Sound cdev.

The Sound cdev uses snd resources in the System or Suitcase to replace the
normal dull beep with a piece of digitized sound.  Many cool people have many
cool sounds available in their Sound cdev.  Truly cool people have edited item
11 of the DITL in the Sound cdev to have dimensions like  22,158,253,313 so
that they can see more than five sounds at a time.

Well, picking your own beep is nice, but since I have a large selection of
beeps, I want a different one each day.  BeepShuffle, an INIT recently posted,
changes the beep at EVERY beep which is a bit too often for me.  In addition,
this provided no way to eliminate beeps which were inappropriate or too long.
It also involved another patch to SysBeep, which could crash.

SwitchBeep has none of these problems.  It simply reads the location where the
current beep is stored (it's in the extended PRAM of the Plus and later
machines) and changes it to a different snd id number.  It reads the disk for
all the snd ids, but it patches nothing and allocates no memory.  It must run
after Suitcase, but the way it is named it will.

SwitchBeep will not work with SoundMaster or Master Juggler or BeepINIT.  It
only works if you are using snd resources and the Sound cdev.  If you want to
randomize sounds in the others INITs, use my Randomizer INIT which is
available in fine archives everywhere.  SwitchBeep will not run on a 512E, as
Sound and Map won't, due to the lack of extended PRAM.

SwitchBeep is a Startup Document, also known as an INIT, so it has no
interface whatsoever.  It just works.  It does have one adjustable feature,
and that is a resource of type LONG that contains the maximum size of a beep
SwitchBeep will use.  It is currently set to 100,000 bytes.  Any sounds longer
than this will not be selected.  You can adjust this number with ResEdit.
There is a template for it in SwitchBeep and  any ResEdit higher than 1.2 will
automatically use it.  You should adjust it only if you have a specific sound
you wish to exclude.  Keep in mind that you will exclude all sounds larger
than that.  I plan on changing this to be a time related length instead of a
size thing since a sound at 7.5 KHz can be longer and smaller than a sound at
22 KHz, but currently I don't even look at the speed of the sound.

This was all very difficult to do since the Sound cdev is completely
undocumented.  I ended up disassembling it to find the proper calls to make
and came up with these two crucial definitions:

FUNCTION GetBeep: Integer; INLINE $204F, $203C, $0002, $007C, $A051;

PROCEDURE SetBeep (theBeep: Integer); INLINE $204F, $203C, $0002, $007C,
$A052;

These are essentially the heart of the INIT and can be used in any program to
control the beep as modified by the Sound cdev.  Of course, these are reserved
for Apple use and subject to change without notice, but I don't expect them to
change real soon, if at all.

Feel free to send money, praise, comments, and complaints to me.

Jon Pugh
PO Box 5509 L561
Livermore, CA 94550
(415) 423-4239
pugh@ccc.nmfecc.gov

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/switchbeep.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 03:30:11 PST
From: hayp04@csa4.lbl.gov
Subject: Boomerang 2.0 uploaded

Boomerang 2.0 is an INIT/cdev utility, which makes it easy to use
the SF Dialog (Open,SaveAs) by automatically recording the files
and folders used with the SF Dialog.  You can move back to these
folders or open files by using popup menus in the SF Dialog or
command keys.  Boomerang has FindFile, NewFolder and some other
features.  Boomerang 2.0 is an ShareWare, $30/user.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/boomerang-20.hqx; 84K
             /info-mac/cdev/boomerang-20-docs.hqx; 75K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 20:53:25 PST
From: 6600pete%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu
Subject: CacheControl for '030, '882, Excel

Here's a cdev that controls the instruction and data cache for 68030 and 68020
Macs. It also takes care of a bug in the way Excel checks for coprocessor and
comes up with a 68881 instead of a 68882.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/cache-control.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 15:16:33 EST
From: lee@liberty.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee)
Subject: Cassette Labeler Stack v1.0

Attached is a HyperCard stack I designed to keep track of my cassette library.
It allows you to make labels for standard audio cassettes that can be printed
on your favorite printer, cut out, and inserted in a cassette box.  You can
change the font, size, and other attributes of the text independently for the
title and contents of each side of each tape.  It also interfaces flexibly with
the music library stack which I will release one of these days that allows you
to keep track of your record (and/or CD) collection.

There is (some) on-line help.  It is Freeware.  Enjoy!

							-Peter E. Lee
lee@cs.umass.edu or fuligin@umass.bitnet

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/cassette-labeler.hqx; 30K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 89 18:02:37 -0500
From: sclindhu@phoenix.princeton.edu (Scott Charles Lindhurst)
Subject: DigSim 2.2

This is DigSim 2.2, a shareware digital circuit simulator.
This is a newer version than that already in the archives, called
app/circuit-simulator.hqx

[Archived as /info-mac/app/digsim-22.hqx; 48K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 17:22:08 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com
Subject: Eradicat'Em INIT, version 1.0

This is version 1.0 of Eradicat'Em, an INIT designed to find and
eliminate the WDEF virus.  When installed in your system, it will
automatically scan the Desktop files on your disks, and will safely
remove the virus before it can infect your machine.

Eradicat'Em is an alternative to the Gatekeeper Aid INIT.  It is
somewhat smaller and somewhat more selective than Gatekeeper Aid, and
is slightly less intrusive when it finds the WDEF virus (it beeps,
rather than putting up a Notification Manager dialog box).

Eradicat'Em is based in part on the Eradicat'Em INIT written and
distributed a couple of weeks ago by Guy Fiems, Riccardo Ettore, and Luc
Wets.  I've reworked the detector/sanitizer code in order to eliminate
the compatibility problems in the initial releases of Eradicator!.

Eradicat'Em 1.0 runs on the Mac Plus, SE, SE/030, Mac II, IIx, and IIcx.
I believe that it should work correctly on the 512ke, IIci, and
Portable, but I've not had the opportunity to test it on those machines.
It is not compatible with the "classic" Mac 128 and the unenhanced 512k
"Fat Mac", and will not install itself on those machines.

In the tests I've run, Eradicat'Em has been completely effective in
preventing the WDEF virus from gaining a foothold.  It will remove the
WDEF infection from your boot-disk, if present, and from any other disk
you insert or mount.   If Eradicat'Em is unable to remove the WDEF virus
(from a locked disk, for example) it will deny access to the Desktop
file, and thus prevent the Finder from inadvertently invoking the virus.

Eradicat'Em is free... feel free to use it and pass it around.

More information on Eradicat'Em is included in a TeachText file in the
following StuffIt archive.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/eradicatem.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 89 14:55:03 CST
From: dwelliver@pro-abyss.cts.com (David Welliver)
Subject: GCC Tech's Business LaserPrinter

Does anyone own a Business LaserPrinter and can tell me how it stacks up to
the Apple LaserWriter IINXT?  The price sounds good, it's only about 3/4 of
the LaserWriter IINT.  It includes a SCSI connector for a hard drive, true
Adobe PostScript capability, 39 fonts, and some other good features.  Please
respond by mail.

                                                Dave

ProLine : dwelliver@pro-abyss
UUCP    : {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-abyss!dwelliver
Arpanet : {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-abyss!dwelliver@nosc.mil
Internet: dwelliver@pro-abyss.cts.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 89 23:33:16 EST
From: man@cs.brown.edu
Subject: Here's the 1.3 version of WordRef

The 1.3 version of WordRef is now ready for release.  Here's what's different:

Desk Accessory Improvements:
   o There was no desk accessory before, so the whole thing's an improvement!

Application Improvements:
   o Bugs fixed
   o Searches bibliographies much faster if they were written by stack 1.3 (or
     later

Stack Improvements:
   o Find duplicate keys now finds all duplicates in a single pass
   o Support for "strings".  The icon with the hand with a string around it
     brings up the strings window.  You type things of the form
        name = "expansion"
     for example, jan = "January".  Then, you can refer to a string in any
     field (for example, the Month field for an article) by putting a full-stop
     before the string name (e.g., ".jan").  When the stack is written out for
     WordRef, all the strings are looked up and replaced with their expansions.
   o Ability to read/write collections of strings (from the head card).  This
     makes it easy to customize for differing journal styles and conventions.
   o The Comments and Other Fields buttons now highlight differently if the
     fields have text in them.
   o The buttons with pop-up menus have a disabled item at the top which say
     what the operation to be performed is.  Note that for the Add Card button,
     the text is different if any of the modifier (command, option, shift) keys
     are held down when the button is pushed.
   o There is now a button to convert a card typed as one bibliographic style
     into another bibliographic style.  Suppose, for instance, you typed
     something in as an article, but decide later that it should have been an
     InProceedings.  Go to the card, choose the button with the four arrows
     going out of it, and pick InProceedings on the pop-up menu.  Voila.
   o Does not put up modal dialogs for missing fields or items read into
     Other Fields during Read BibTeX
   o Does not put up modal dialogs for missing fields on Write BibTeX
   o Any character but "=" can occur in a string name
   o @conference now reads into an InProceedings card
   o Better handling of BibTeX control sequences
   o Ignores extraneous material in a BibTeX file (gives modal error message)
   o Continues processing after a syntax error (after modal error message)
   o Ignores unknown styles (e.g., @unknown{...}) and continues processing
     (after modal error message)
   o Better aesthetics

For those of you who are unfamiliar with WordRef, this is what it's all about:

Here is an application and HyperCard stack I developed for producing cross-
references and bibliographies using Word 3/4.  It is yet another facility
which uses the Print Merge facility of Word, but I have tried to do it in
a way which is more general than any of the systems which preceded me, so
that it should be able to handle virtually any cross-referencing and
bibliography needs.  It is a ShareWare package and may be distributed
not-for-profit as long as the application, stack, and document are all
kept together.

Some of the features are:

        o No limit on the number of counters (variables) used for cross-
references
        o Variables can be combined in general arithmetic expressions
        o Increment operators are included for convenience
        o Variables can have strings interspersed with numbers
        o Can scan Word files directly (if Fast Save is off)
        o There can be any number of Word files or bibliography files in a
single manuscript
        o The bibliography files are kept in the ever popular BibTeX format
        o A HyperCard stack is provided for maintaining the bibliography
files
	o You can keep comments/keywords with the bibliographic references
	o String definitions allow easy customization for different journals
        o Several different citations styles are provided to go at the point
of reference
        o A user-definable style sheet is used for formatting the
bibliography entries.
	o A desk accessory makes accessing the bibliography easy

Enjoy!

        --Mark

[Archived as /info-mac/app/wordref-13-part1.hqx; 148K
             /info-mac/app/wordref-13-part2.hqx; 115K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 89 12:55:33 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com
Subject: How to determine hard drive interleave

	Also, does anyone know how Apple's HD Setup hard drive
	formatting software works? Most formatting applications I have
	used allow the user to set the interleave or at least lets you
	know what the interleave is set to.  HD Setup doesn't do either -
	it just formats.

HD SC Setup chooses an appropriate interleave for the device based on
the drive model and the type of machine you're formatting it on.

You can display the interleave it has chosen by hitting command-I;  this
sequence brings up a dialog box which displays, and will permit you to
change the interleave that HD SC Setup has selected.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 15:58:45 EST
From: Douglas Hornig <dug@vax1.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: HyperFTP-10.hqx

The following is an FTP client HyperCard stack.  You must have MacTCP
installed in order to use it.  Comments and/or suggestions are welcome.
It is public domain.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/hyperftp.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 89 00:47 EST
From: gosselin@zoom.clik.qc.ca (Pascal Gosselin)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #224

Hi there,
   The solution to your problem is VERY simple. Simply attach a SHIVA NETSERIAL
device to the LocalTalk network. Then, each station on the Macintosh network
would use a program like MAC 240 from White Pines Software to talk to the VAX.
A CHOOSER-level driver is included with the NetSerial that enables ANY program
that runs on the Mac's serial port to work thru the network. The NetSerial
is a device the size of a modem that includes 3 plugs, an AC outlet, a LocalTalk DIN-8 port and a SERIAL port. Baud rates up to 56.7Kbps are supported.  The driver software is intelligent and will let users know that someone else is using the NetSerial if that is the case....

                Glad to help
  :wq

--
Pascal Gosselin					  gosselin@clik.qc.ca
SIMCO, Inc. - A division of Computer Connection	- uunet!clik.qc.ca!gosselin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 89 21:21:21 -0500
From: Walter Maner<maner@andy.bgsu.edu>

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> Hello all; I need advice about free/shareware gradebook programs.
> We are looking for something easy to use; it doesn't have to be
> sophisticated, even though certain features (like dropping lowest
> scores, printing histograms etc.) would be welcome. I'm pretty
> sure something like that is out there - I even wrote one myself,
> but the final product "will be shipping real soon now" :-) I'll
> be grateful for pointers, experiences and opinions. Thanks - Eric
> Please reply by mail to NBEHR @ ECNCDC.BITNET

If you are like me, you won't be happy with a grading program which
you can't customize to your own grading preferences.  I've used a
number of commercial and free/shareware programs and find all of them
disappointing in their ability to adapt to my special requirements.
I would suggest you get someone's EXCEL template and adapt it for
your own purposes.  There's an ethical issue here too:  Shouldn't
a teacher be in full control of the formulae that crunch the grades?
Good luck.
WALT

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 89 10:28:10 EST
From: jd@cartan.math.nd.edu (John Derwent)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #225

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

>  Hi and Merry Christmas:
>
>   I am having a problem with Boomerang2.0b9. I have been using this cdev
> on my MAC II. We just bought a MAC IIx at work and I have been trying to
> get Boomer to work on it. Whenever I try to open the cdev from the
> control panel, I get the following error message:
>
> 	Sorry, the Control Panel cannot get a needed resource.
>
> We are using Finder 6.1 and System 6.0.3. Is anybody using Boomerang on
> a IIx or does anyone have a suggestion as to how to find out what resource
> the control panel can't get? Thanks in advance.

Boomerang requires a file "Boomerang prefs" in the System Folder. If you
don't have it, that could be your problem. It's only been required since v.
2.0b7 or thereabouts.
John Derwent jd@cartan.math.nd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 89 20:28:04 EST
From: daap10@uchcx
Subject: Installing memory in an SE/30

HiHo:

A friend has an SE/30 and inherited some 120ns 256k SIMMs and would like me
to install them.  I have installed memory on a MacIIx.  Would it be the same?
I know on the SE there are things to be cut to let the thing know it has a
diffrent chip or more chips.  I am assuming that memory management on the
SE/30 is the same as on the IIx.

Would this be a mistake?

   Dislaimer: My opinion does not necessarily represent that of my employer
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
David Charles Todd|***Computer Graphics***|University of Cincinati, College of
daap10@uchcx.san.uc.edu|****Center****|Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
	 if it bounces, try me at peterson@ucunix.san.uc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 15:39:06 EST
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacPuke Init

     This is an init that makes a realistic "puking" sound when you eject disks
Enjoy.
Chris K.
3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/macpuke.hqx; 26K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 19:28:19 EST
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Multifinder RearWindow

Hello,

  This is the Multifinder version of RearWindow, an init which allows you do
drag files from lowered Finder windows to higher ones (since clicking in a
lower window raises it, and obscures the ones on top otherwise).  To use:
put the init in your System Folder and reboot.  Then, hold down Cmd-Tab while
selecting and dragging, and the lower windows will stay low.

(I fear that I don't know who made the patches, since I've received it third-
hand...  The original was written by Allen Foster.)

--Mike

[Archived as /info-mac/init/multifinder-rearwindow.hqx; 2K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 11:24:09 MET DST
From: magnus@cs.umu.se
Subject: SwapMap FKEY

SwapMap is an FKEY written for users with national keyboards who wants to swap
between different ASCII mappings of the keyboard, without having to go through
the time-consuming process of opening the Control Panel.
An irritating "feature" of Telnet, the initial setting of the keyboard mapping
to "US-CTRL/OPTION", was really what made me write this FKEY. I wanted the to
be able to switch rapidly between the Swedish layout and a special home-cooked
one.

SwapMap is an FKEY, which means it has to be installed along with the other
FKEYS in the system file with ResEdit (unless you are using SuitCase).
It has resource ID 0, so when installed, it is invoked by
typing Shift-Command-0.

SwapMap has been used without problems on a Mac+, Mac SE, Mac II, Mac IIci
running all (?) versions of system 6.0 (and some earlier versions too).

Feel free to contact me via e-mail if you have problems or suggestions.

---
Magnus Astrom, Dept. of Info. Proc., Univ. of Umea, S-90187 Umea, Sweden
Internet: magnus@cs.umu.se                         Phone: +46 90 166794
(Bitnet:  mast@seumdc51)                           Fax:   +46 90 166126
                   "Hela v{rlden talar svenska!"

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/swapmap.hqx; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 89 10:04:25 -0500
From: stroup@itd.nrl.navy.mil (janet l stroup)
Subject: WDEF virus...or not?

I just opened my brand new Adobe Illustrator package yesterday
afternoon and began copying the files from the floppies to my hard
disk.  When I inserted the "Tutorial and Utilities" disk, the
following message appeared on my screen:

	GateKeeper Aid found an "Implied Loader 'ADBS'" virus
	in the "Desktop" file on the "Tutorial and Utilities"
	disk.  The virus could not be removed because the disk
	was locked.

After clicking the OK box--twice before it would go away--the
"disk needs minor repairs" message popped up (actually, it popped
up first but the GateKeeper Aid message immediately overlaid it)
I clicked Cancel, then called Adobe.  The technician I spoke with
was unaware of the new WDEF virus but said she had heard no reports
of other suspicious, possibly virus-related problems with the software.
However, she did say that a number of the Tutorial and Utilities disks
had problems and I could get a replacement if I sent the bad disk back
to her (Adobe would also check it for viral infections).

I wanted to do a quick check myself before sending it back so I took
it to a Mac without GK Aid installed and copied it to another floppy.
I scanned the copy with Disinfectant 1.5 and what do you know, no
virus infection was detected.  Hmmmm.  Then I installed GK Aid on
this Mac and reinserted the copy:  "Implied Loader 'ADBS'" virus
was found, and removed this time because the disk was unlocked.

I'm guessing here but could it be that this was not a virus but
instead a damaged desktop file with symptoms that mimicked WDEF
and that triggered the warning from GateKeeper Aid?  And just what
is an "Implied Loader 'ADBS'" [virus]?

-Janet

Janet L. Stroup          		Naval Research Laboratory
stroup@tsb.nrl.navy.mil      		HCI Lab, Code 5533
(202) 767-3930				Washington, DC 20375-5000

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 89 18:09:08 -0500
From: sclindhu@phoenix.princeton.edu (Scott Charles Lindhurst)
Subject: Xlisp 2.0

This is Xlisp version 2.0, an partial implementation of Lisp for the Mac,
including several object-oriented extensions.

This is a newer version than the lang/xlisp17.hqx that is currently in the
archives.

Scott Lindhurst
sclindhu@phoenix.princeton.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/xlisp-20.hqx; 177K]

End of Info-Mac Digest