Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/28/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 27 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 229

Today's Topics:
              ADBS virus-warning from Gatekeeper Aid 1.0
                   BinHex 5.0, BinHex 4.0, StuffIt
                         BITNET mail follows
                    I Did the Same Thing This Week
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #225
                    Lang/MPW-Simula-407-part1.hqx
                           macbinary needed
                      MAC LAN and RS-232 Devices
                   Macs and Toshiba 24 pin printer
                           MPW C Indent 1.1
                            SuperClock 3.8
                         System 7.0 Questions
                          Type coercion in C
                 Using 800K drives with an Older Mac
                       X windows on a Macintosh

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 89 20:42:35 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: ADBS virus-warning from Gatekeeper Aid 1.0

The "ADBS implied loader virus" isn't a virus.  Gatekeeper Aid 1.0 scans
the Desktop file for any resource-type which could contain executable code,
and removes all such resources.  Apple has defined the 'ADBS' resource class
for storing code which drives the Apple Desktop Bus and its peripherals...
the mouse and keyboard, for example.

Unfortunately, the Adobe Separator application uses 'ADBS' as its
signature-code.  When you install Adobe Separator on a disk, the Finder
adds an 'ADBS' resource to your Desktop file.  When Gatekeeper Aid 1.0 sees
this resource, it believes that it's an "implied loader" virus, and removes
it.

We're not sure why there are two users of this resource-type.  It seems
likely that somebody's left hand didn't know what somebody else's right
hand was doing, somewhere along the line.

In any case... Chris Johnson has added code to Gatekeeper Aid 1.0.1 so
that it won't complain about this resource (nor remove it).  I suggest
that you upgrade to this version as soon as you can... aside from this
fix, it also corrects a number of other problems which turned up after
version 1.0 was distributed.

As an alternative, you could try the Eradicat'Em INIT, which was just
posted to Info-Mac.  It won't get upset about the 'ADBS' signature
resource, either.

After installing Gatekeeper Aid 1.0.1, or switchin to Eradicat'Em, you
should rebuild the Desktop file on disk(s) which were subject to the
Gatekeeper Aid warning.  Otherwise, you might have trouble launching
Adobe Separator documents.

To answer your other question:  an "implied loader" virus is one which
hides in a file (Desktop, for example) which usually would not be used
to store executable code.  Due to the way the Resource Manager works,
there are situations in which a code resource in one of these files can
be loaded... usually via an implied action within the Toolbox (e.g. when
you open a new window, the appropriate window-definition code must be
loaded.).

WDEF is the first implied-loader virus identified on the Mac.  So far,
it's the only one... knock on wood!  Most of the antivirals released to
stop WDEF are equally effective against other viruses which try this
same trick.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1989 15:40:24 EST
From: Tom Young <XMU%CORNELLA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BinHex 5.0, BinHex 4.0, StuffIt

   The relationship between these three utilities confuses a lot of
people.  Here's my understanding of things.  Please feel free to
correct me where I fib badly.
   BinHex 5.0 encodes and decodes Mac files using a format known as
MacBinary.  MacBinary combines the data and resource forks of a Mac
file so that it can be transferred to another system.  It also preserves
such things as the Type and Creator attributes, creation and modifica-
tion dates, and the file's icon.  By default, BinHex 5.0 creates files
with an "extension" of .BIN.  Many terminal emulation packages support
automatic MacBinary encoding and decoding during file transfers.  Note
that a MacBinary file is still in a "binary" format, with high-order
ASCII characters and very long record lengths, and so often cannot be
used to transmit Mac files over long-haul networks (and cannot be used
to send a Mac file via e-mail).
   BinHex 4.0, despite the lower version number, goes a step further than
BinHex 5.0.  The encoded file contains only low-order (7-bit) ASCII char-
acters with a uniform record length of 65 (or something) characters.
This format can be used for sending Mac files over long-haul networks and
via e-mail.  BinHex 4.0 creates files with an extension of .HQX; so, for
want of a better term, one can refer to this encoding as the HQX format.
   When attempting to use BinHex 4.0 to decode an HQX file downloaded
>From a bulletin board or archive site, one frequently encounters a CRC
error.  While it is possible that the HQX file has been corrupted, the
problem is more likely due to the posting having been in the form of an
e-mail message with the HQX file attached.  BinHex 4.0 is not smart
enough to parse down through the plain text of the e-mail headers (and
any body text) to the encoded information.  The solution is to load the
file into a text editor or word processor and strip out all the text
above the "This file must be decoded using BinHex 4.0" line.  Once the
file with the plain text stripped out has been saved (make sure you save
it as "text only"), BinHex 4.0 should be able to decode it.  If the
material preceding the encoded file was of interest, you can cut-and-
paste it into a new file instead of simply deleting it.
   StuffIt is a utility for archiving files (so that multiple files
can be stored and transmitted as a single file) and compressing files
(so they take up less space on disk).  Most submissions to Info-Mac and
other archive sites are first encoded with StuffIt (which produces files
with an extension of .SIT) and then converted to the HQX format.  Some
people use the extension .SITHQX to make this two-step process explicit.
   Newer versions of StuffIt include a menu item for encoding and decoding
files in the HQX format as well.  This means that one doesn't need
BinHex 4.0, though one still must first decode the HQX file and then
extract the file(s) from the SIT archive.  What's nice about using the
StuffIt option instead of BinHex 4.0 is that it's smart enough to ignore
mail headers (and any other plain text) and just extract the actual HQX-
encoded information.  On the other hand, it simply discards any plain
text before the HQX encoding, so you might want to use a text editor or
word processor to look at the original file before decoding it with
StuffIt.
   People working on IBM mainframe systems will enjoy a CMS utility
called BINHEX developed at Brown University.  This allows one to verify
the integrity and check the contents of MacBinary (BIN, BinHex 5.0)
and HQX (BinHex 4.0) files before downloading to a Mac.  Plus, one
can convert files between the two formats.  This is particularly helpful
if one is short on Mac disk space; a MacBinary file is considerably
smaller than it's HQX equivalent.  The smaller MacBinary file will also
download faster.  I believe the Brown software is somewhere in the
Info-Mac archives.

Tom Young         Cornell Information Technologies, Workstation Resources
xmu@cornella.bitnet / xmu@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: 27 Dec 89   11:18 EDT
From: ATSDBL%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: BITNET mail follows

DATE: 27 DEC 89
>From: David B. Lutz <ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET>
Subject: Public Domain software for Mac on CD

I'm interested in getting info about any companies that sell public
domain software libraries for the Mac in CD format. We want to set up
a public domain software distribution service using an NEC CD-ROM drive
hooked to a Mac II. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Lutz
ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 13:46 CST
From: <JBOWYER%UNOMA1.BITNET@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: I Did the Same Thing This Week

Back in Volume 7, Issue #198, Jim Wirtanen <mn032773 at NDSUVM1> asked:
>I've been asked to locate and purchase one or more grammar analysis programs
>for analyzing existing word processing files, e.g. MacWrite, Work, Works,
>etc.  Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with these types of programs?

Doug Clapp's Word Tools(v.1.02) Aegis Development, Inc. $79.95 list price.
Although I've only seen this program mentioned briefly throughout reviews,
and mildly recommended by a few persons who've responded to my request for
information on grammar checkers, Word Tools seems to be a good utility for a
person with weak writing skills.  The best review I've read was published in
the April, 1989 issue of MacGuide, pp. 98-105.  I've posted a brief biblio-
graphy at the end of this summary listing some other useful reviews beyond the
MacGuide review.  My other  printed resources included a serial called, Soft-
ware Reveiws on File, the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature, and various
other library resources.  I have not attempted to promote any one program, nor
to shortchange another in my comments that follow, and for anyone wishing a
more complete review, please  consider reading at least the reviews I've cited.

If you are unable to get Doug Clapp's Word Tools, you might try one of the
following style checkers--all of which received fair-to-good reviews, given
the weaknesses shared by all style checkers:

2. MacProof(v. 3.11?) from Lexpertise, U.S.A. $195.00 list; A DA a rather than
an application.  It's greatest strength seems to be that it's both a spelling
checker and style checker--not all style checkers are spelling checkers.  It
is said to be easy to learn, but very slow.  Its major drawbacks seem to be its
dictionary's weak guessing ability, it's inability to return to review a pre-
vious error that's been corrected (in case you change your mind), and that its
written documentation is without an index.

3. Sensible Grammar (v. 1.1d?) from Sensible Software, Inc. $99.95 list.
This stand alone application's strenghth is its ability to identify and display
the widest range of problems (of these three programs) with text files.  It is
said to seem to be slower than MacProof, because it checks for more problems.

While none of these programs is quite what I've been looking for, and none will
soon replace a good proofreader, they seem to be worth considering.  I'm going
to purchase one or two of the above within the next few months.  However, I'd
recommend waiting a bit if you aren't sure yet.  I've read that two new style
checkers, Grammatik for the Mac (it seems to one of the best PC style checkers
available) and Working Software's Spellswell 2.2, are due to be released soon.
Finally, as noted  above, if anyone is still interested in seeing the complete
reviews that I used to get the above info, here is a partial bibliography
1. MacGuide, April 1989, pp.98-105 "Style before Substance." Ted Silveira
2. MacWorld, February 1989, pp.189-97 "Beyond Word Processing." Cheryl Spencer
3. MacUser, December 1988, p. 67 "Quick Clicks (reviews)" Daniel J. Rosenbaum

I'd like to send in  the online comments I received, but I only have hardcopy
now,  given that I accidently trashed the file I was creating to summarize to
Info-Mac and a few other interested parties.

I hope this helps. Thanks to all who contacted me with suggestions.
* JIM WIRTANEN                                            DISCLAIMER:  *
* MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY AV DEPT.              "DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS"*
* 500 UNIVERSITY AVE                                                   *
* MINOT, ND 58701  BITNET: <MN032773 AT NDSUVM1>                       *
* TELEPHONE:701-857-3094/FAX:701-839-6933; APPLELINK: U0650            *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 17:34:11 -0500
From: William C. DenBesten<denbeste@andy.bgsu.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #225

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> I AM TRYING TO LOCATE A DEVICE OR SCHEMATIC TO CONSTRUCT A DEVICE
> }iTHAT COULD REPLACE THE MOUSE AND SEND A 'MOUSE DOWN' COMMAND TO THE
> MAC. THIS DEVICE WOULD BE TRIGGERABLE BY A HALF-VOLT (OR LESS)
> SIGNAL FROM AN EXTERNAL TRIGGER SOURCE.

I would take an existing mouse, clip a relay to its mouse button, and
hook your trigger device to the mac.  If you need more trigger
devices, you could do a similar thing involving a keyboard.

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 14:08 MET
From: Jan Scheutjens <SCHEUTJENS%RCL.WAU.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lang/MPW-Simula-407-part1.hqx

Here is MPW Simula!

For who is new to Simula:
Simula is a general-purpose high-level object-oriented programming language,
comparable in power to ADA, SmallTalk, and C++. Simula has Algol 60 as
subset with the addition of pointer structures, classes, powerful
text string handling, event oriented simulation capabilities, and much more.
C++ is essentially a Simula-like extension of C.
There is a Simula discussion list on Bitnet (Listserv@BITNIC) and a
Simula Filelist with general information on Simula (Listserv@DEEARN).

The compiler supports the full Standard Simula (1988). Most Simula programs
developed on other computers should compile on the Mac without modification.
You will need the MPW shell and MPW assembler, both available from APDA.

Copyright: Lund Software House AB (1989).
This version (4.07) is public domain.
Interfaces to the Toolbox and to other languages are included.
The file is StuffIted and BinHexed.

Jan.
Disclaimer: I have no connections with Lund Software House.
I'm just a satisfied user of their compilers.

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/mpw-simula-part1.hqx; 159K
             /info-mac/lang/mpw-simula-part2.hqx; 159K
             /info-mac/lang/mpw-simula-part3.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/lang/mpw-simula-stack.hqx; 185K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 16:57 N
From: <ADEGROOT%HROEUR5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: macbinary needed

I'm writing an zmodem extension for the Mansion BBS, and for this I've
collected a lot of info on zmodem, as well as some sources (for the PC,
so that will need some porting...)

What I still lack is info on the Macbinary (and MacBinary II) format.

Anyone out there fot this info for me?

-John Sinteur
adegroot@hroeur5.bitnet
sinteur@uvabick.uucp
2:512/114@fidonet

------------------------------

Date: 27 Dec 89 19:19:35 GMT
From: gallo@zach.fit.edu ( Michael A. Gallo)
Subject: MAC LAN and RS-232 Devices

Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding connecting a RS-232
port to a MAC LAN.  Virtually all the respondents suggested that I consider
a Shiva NetSerial device.  If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of
the responses I received please mail me a message and I will oblige.

Mike Gallo
(gallo@zach.fit.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 13:28:52 PST
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macs and Toshiba 24 pin printer

Hi all,
   A friend has just acquired a Mac portable, that he would like to interface
to a Toshiba "3 in 1" 24 pin printer.  I would appreciate hearing comments and
opinions on the various commercial hardware/software solutions for this problem
.  My friend works in a Slavic languages dept., and will therefore need to use
various special fonts.  So I would appreciate hearing about how well the
various packages handle special fonts - what sizes are needed (ie do they
reduce from 2X like an imagewriter, or 3X like a imagewriterLQ, etc).  Please
reply directly to me, and I will summarize for the net.
Cheers,
Paul Romaniuk
University of Victoria    (Bitnet:  PROMAN@UVVM)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 15:21:54 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: MPW C Indent 1.1

Here is Indent 1.1. It's an MPW tool to prettyprint C code.
Includes source code plus the compiled tool.  Includes a commando
interface to help select among the numerous formatting options.

Ported from GNU indent program by Jeffrey Kowalski

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/mpw-c-indent-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/lang/mpw-c-indent-part2.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/lang/mpw-c-indent-part3.hqx; 65K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 15:47:40 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: SuperClock 3.8

Here is SuperClock version 3.8.  This version corrects a bug
introduced in version 3.7.  Note that version 3.7 fixed a bug
introduced in version 3.6.  I think I notice a trend here.  Oh
well, it's still the best clock I've seen and the price is right
(free)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/superclock-38.hqx; 23K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 89 10:35:58 CST
From: Michael Hanrahan <C09615MH%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 Questions

Hi,
   We've all read a great deal of speculation about System 7.0 and I'm
sure I'm not the only one the following questions:

   1) When will actual documentation (akin to Inside Mac) for 7.0 become
      available to programmers?  Is a completely revamped Inside
      Macintosh in the works?
   2) Given that much or all of the system has been rewritten in C++,
      will the new routines obey Pascal calling conventions or will the
      internals of the system dictate a C-oriented programming approach?
   3) The new System contains a Communications Toolbox which includes three
      managers: Connection Manager - used for configuring serial ports;
      Terminal Manager - used for supporting various terminal emulations;
      File Transfer Manager - provides support for file transfer protocols.
      As a programmer working on a communications-oriented project, this new
      toolbox sounds like a godsend.  But...

          How much of a blessing is the Connection Manager?  Setting up
          the serial ports is a "no brainer" for anyone who's capable
          of writing a stand-alone Mac application.

          What terminal emulations are provided?  I imagine VT100 is
          one of them, but does anyone have any concrete info?

          The File Transfer Manager supports different protocols by
          (evidently) providing hooks for "plug-in tools" which actually
          implement the desired protocol.  Does anyone know which (if
          any) protocols will be included with 7.0?

   4) As a USER of the Mac (not a programmer), the inclusion of some
      of the Communications Toolbox routines makes me wonder.  If I'm
      a student or a non-corporate user who has just dropped $1500 (at
      least) on a new Mac, chances are I don't have any free $$ to spend
      on "extras" like a modem or memory upgrades.  I'm lucky I could
      afford the Mac I have.  It seems kinda strange to have a word
      processing user pay $$ for more RAM simply so the System can fit
      in the machine and carry a great deal of software which has
      nothing to do with word processing and is of value only to a
      communications program.

Ah well.  If anyone has any info or thoughts on any of the above, I'd
love to hear them.  Thanks.

                              Michael Hanrahan
                              Educational Computing Services
                              Campus Box 1221
                              Washington University
                              St. Louis, MO  63130

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 89 09:54:46 CST
From: Michael Hanrahan <C09615MH%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Type coercion in C

Jax,
   The easiest way to explain type coercion in C is with an example.
Suppose you have a grafptr called Graffer and you need to coerce it to
the type WindowPeek so you can look at the window record.  If the
variable Peeker is of type WindowPeek, the following statement will do
the trick.

    Peeker = (WindowPeek) Graffer

Thus, in general terms, type coercion is accomplished with statements of
the form

    newtypevar = (newtype) oldtypevar

Hope this helps.

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 17:50 EST
From: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Using 800K drives with an Older Mac

I recently asked if you can use an 800K drive with an old 512K mac.
The answer is yes, but there are some technical points.
There certainly were enough replies to merit a summary.  I have
removed headers, and corrected obvious typeographical errors.

This was my original question:

	Will a 512K unenhanced work with an 800K external drive?  My mother
	has one and her old 400K external drive died.  The options seem
	to be to get a "new" 400K drive for $55 mail order, or an 800K for
	$150 or so, or to have it enhanced for $299 or both for about $450.

	Another possibility is to get a hard drive, but I think the Apple
	HD 20 with the floppy drive connector has been discontinued, and
	the 512K has no SCSI port.  Is there any source for 512K or 512KE
	compatible hard drives?

	Obviously price is a consideration.

Many people responded by saying that this will work.  It seems to work best
if you put the driver for the old Apple HD20 in your system folder (it can
be deleted after you start up).  This will probably let you use HFS as
well as the old MFS format.  Without the HD20 driver some people can only
use the 800K drive as a 400K drive.  Other people report being able to
use it as an 800K drive.

Since asking about this, I have thought of another solution and I would like
comments on that.  MacConnection is advertizing a Dove SCSI interface/Port
for $109.00.  I talked to them on the phone today, and they do not believe
that this will work with an unenhanced Mac 512K.  Furthermore, it is
impossible to get a service contract on the Mother board of a MAC 512KE
after the SCSI port has been added.

These are the replies I recieved, sans headers and some editing.
Thanks to all.

=========*======*=======
>From: James Goodwin <Goodwin@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

I've been doing this for some time, plus I have a 2 Meg memory expansion
of dubious reliability from a vanished supplier. The overall configuration
is sort of tolerable, but not better. I've had this since my GCC Hyperdrive
HyperCroaked and GCC HyperWelshed.

So yes, a totally unenhanced 512K will drive an 800K external floppy drive
BUT you have to have the right driver, which is the one labelled "HD20"
which was for driving the original 20 meg HD which ran off the serial port.
Evidently it's the driver for 800K floppies in that vintage of the system.
You can delete it after the system boots, to save space; this makes sense if
you're running the system out of RAM cache as I do, but without the extra
RAM I don't know if you can manage that trick.

Jim Goodwin
===*=====*=====*=====*===
>From: moy@itd.nrl.navy.MIL

You do need the new ROMs for the Mac 512K to use a 800K external drive.
However, you can use the 800K drive as a 400K drive without any mods.
This may seem somewhat expensive since you are only using part of the
drive.  This works with Apple's current versions of the drives, and
does NOT work with the early drives.  The new ones have a indicator light
on the left and a eject button on the right side of the slot.  I've
tried this with a 512K here at work.

Gene
===*=====*=====*=====*=====

>From: HENRY YEE <HENRY%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

I use a Chinon 800k drive with a Mac512, not enhanced, not plus.  The Mac
still has the 400k internal drive and the 64-k ROMs.  I understand the Chinon
can be used with the Mac128, but I can't confirm this.

The drive connects to the Mac in the same place as the old external drive and
steals power from the Mac in the same way also.  No system changes or software
changes were made, yet the finder shows the correct number of bytes used and
remaining....or double sided formatting.  (Or maybe with the 128k ROMS)

CAUTION: A disk formatted for 800k looks UNINITIALIZED to the 400k drive
         and you will be asked if you want to initialize it....

The info on the Chinon may not apply to the Ehman or the Magnum or other 800k
drives so be sure to check on the specific drive you choose.

The Chinon is available for $189 at M.A.C. just off the UC Berkeley campus
(800)BUY-A-MAC, (415)644-0516, or for groups and corporate (415)644-0546.
On the east coast it is available at MacCorner in Rockville, MD (301)948-1538
at a slightly higher price.  MacCorner also carries the Ehman.

   NOTE:  This message was prepared in 1987 and prices have fallen since.

Henry Yee
IN%"Henry%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET"
===*=====*=====*=====*====

>From: messingr@Kodak.COM

Eliot,
	You have probably got tons of replies by now, but here in
	my 2 cents worth.  I have a Cutting Edge 800K drive with
	my (my company's) Mac 512K.  It has worked great since I got
	it 8 months ago.

Rich Messinger
Eastman Kodak
===*=====*=====*=====

>From: Dan Dlugose <dlugose@uncecs.EDU>

Any Mac 128K or 512K with OLD ROMs can use an 800K drive if it has the file
"Hard Disk 20" in the System Folder.  I do it at home, and answer this question
once or twice a month.  You might find "Hard Disk 20" on an '85 or '86
startup disk.

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 15:13:35 pst
From: casey%jplmrs.span@witch.jpl.nasa.gov (Daren Casey 300-213 x9478)
Subject: X windows on a Macintosh

There was an article in the 12/11/89 issue of Digital Review on a program called
eXodus by White Pine.  It requires an Ethernet driver (such as Alisa Systems'
TSSnet for DECnet or Kinetic's TCport for TCP/IP).

>From the article:

Vendor:
White Pine Software
94 Route 101A, P.O. Box 1108
Amherst NH 03031
603/886-9050

Price: $495

Pros:
Slick, inexpensive X windows/DECwindows interface for existing Mac platforms.
Spped on Mac II and IIcx is sufficient for productive work.
Runs most DECwindows applications.

Cons:
Black and white only - color version due out soon.
Can crash Mac when too many windows are doing too much I/O.

Daren Casey
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Pasadena CA
818/354-9478