Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (12/31/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 30 Dec 89       Volume 7 : Issue 230

Today's Topics:
                  16 MHz 68000 in Mac Plus/SE, again
          Advice needed in picking out Mac IIcx Accessories
                 Appletalk-to-Internet Mail programs
                           Bad Hard Drives
                         Batch un-binhexing?
                        Bulletin Board Systems
         Can an internal HD be used as an ***external*** HD?
                       Disk Cataloging Software
                         HyperCard Questions
                          INITShare Problems
                   McSink problem/Floptical Drives
                         Microphone Upgrades
                           MPW C Indent 1.1
                 Public Domain software for Mac on CD
                     Results of the Iron-on hunt
                SF&I with (old) Xebec 1410 Controller
              STACKS WANTED-SOCIAL SCIENCES & HUMANITIES
            SuperPaint vs. UltraPaint:  Comments please...
       WANTED: Mac Intro or Primer for Programming / Resources
                       X windows and Mac client

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 30 DEC 89 19:19 CET
From: UG142BC%DM0LRZ01.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: 16 MHz 68000 in Mac Plus/SE, again

In V7 Issue 225 I wrote:

>Hi, recently an article appeared in a german computer
>magazine, which suggested an exchange of the 8Mhz 68000
>processor against an 16Mhz 68000. They reported no timing
>problems.

Thanks to all who replied. Most of them pointed out that
a 16 MHz 68000 running at 8 MHz is in no way faster than
a 8 MHz 68000. Sorry for wasting your time, as I see now
I should have been more precise: What I want is a 16 MHz CPU
running at 16 MHz.

Here are the instructions from the cited article (c't 1/90):

 -------- start of instructions --------

Cut Pins 11, 12, 13, 20 of the old (8 MHz) CPU.
Connect Pins 11, 12 and 13 of the old CPU to ground.
Solder the new (16 MHz) CPU *upon* the old CPU (it's not
necessary to remove the old CPU), except Pins 11, 12, 13 and 20,
which are directly connected to the motherboard, and except Pin 15,
which receives the clock rate (16 MHz) from Pin 19 GLU (Mac SE) or
Pin 8 of the quartz oszillator (Mac Plus) via 3 inverters 74LS04.
You will have to experiment with the exact number of inverters needed.

 -------- end of instructions --------

As you might see from the above translation, I am really no expert
in this area (what the hell is an inverter?). But the whole
procedure seems to be simple enough, so I would like to ask
again:

Has anybody tried this? Are there any experiences or
comments? Hardware gurus: What do you think, will it work?
Will it be as fast as a Portable? If not, why not?....

Once again, if you reply to me, I will summarize to the net.

Thanks in advance.

-- Markus. Bitnet: ug142bc@DM0LRZ01

Markus Fest
Fachbereich Mathematik
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 21:20:26 EST
From: "Eric W. Tilenius" <EWTILENI@pucc.princeton.edu>
Subject: Advice needed in picking out Mac IIcx Accessories

I have decided to purchase a Mac IIcx computer but I need advice on what
brands of peripherals to buy with it.  Please help if you can!!

Here's the scoop...

1) I'd like 4 meg ram.  Should I order that installed from Apple or should
   I get the 1M model and install the extra RAM from 3rd party suppliers?

2) I'm looking for a full page portrait monitor -- what brands of monitors
   and video cards are good?  Which have grey scale?  Where is a good place
   to buy a non-Apple monitor?

3) I'm looking to buy about an 80 Meg hard drive -- am I best off with
   an internal or external?  Apple or non-apple?  How hard is it to
   install a third party internal drive?  What are good brands of drives
   and is 80 Meg a good size to get?  What should I look for?

4) Any suggestions on keyboards or mice?

THANKS VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!  I hope to purchase the system soon, and need
to know what I'm ordering from Apple and what I'm not, since the Apple stuff
will take longer to ship.

EMAIL replies preferred:  ewtileni@pucc.BITNET  // ewtileni@pucc.Princeton.EDU

- ERIC -

         (__)         Eric W. Tilenius
         (oo)
  /-------\/          President, Princeton Planetary Society
 / |     ||
*  ||----||           609-734-7677  //  ewtileni@pucc.Princeton.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 21:36:38 EDT
From: "Evan Stark, CUNY Graduate School Computer Center"
Subject: Appletalk-to-Internet Mail programs

We are interested in implementing mail service for the Macs on our
Appletalk network.  We are using a Kinetics Fastpath, administered by
Stanford's KIP running on an IBM RT with BSD Unix, and we'd like to
have mail to and from any Internet host. Any information would be
appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 89 12:55:37 -0500
From: grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Liam Grant)
Subject: Bad Hard Drives

Could some kind soul please let me know which drives Apple is willing to
replace/upgrade/fix/etc.  I misplaced my collection of these notices and
I'd like to go back and check the machines here.  We have a dozen from
512's through IIcx's so any partial listing would include something
relevant.

I'll summarize and condense all the answers into a report for the archives.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Whatever you say, say nothing, when you talk about you know what...

Leprechaun Liam					Grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Code 5541, NRL, Wash. DC 20375    (202)767-2392 W    (301)552-9216 H

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 22:47:39 EST
From: jjw7384@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko)
Subject: Batch un-binhexing?

Is there a program that will do batch Un-BinHexing and Un-Stuffing?

I'm in the process of getting the Adobe Screen Fonts from sumex-aim, and
am not looking forward to baby-sitting my computer while it does its
work on a single file at a time...

Thanks,

Jeff

jjw7384@ritvax.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 89 00:16 EST
From: <23184116%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bulletin Board Systems

Hi.
        What I am looking for is a bulletin board system.  But, what I am trying
to do is to set up a bulletin board system on my network.  We are running off
of a Novell server and also use an Appleshare server.  I need this biulletin
board program to be multi-user accessible, multi-user updtanble program which
can be accessed from each node of the networj as if it were a modem.
        I have tried using Red Ryder Host BBS v2.0 but it sdoes not recognize
nodes on a network, only modem lines.
        I am lost and I need help soon.  This will be used at a university and w
can pay fees.  I can use any help you can give.

Sorry about the typos, I can't get my delete button to work.

Thanx
Bill Cockayne
(703) 569-4949
231841168@VUVAXCOM.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 89 16:39 -0300
From: Joao Candido Portinari <PUCRJPP%BRFAPESP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Can an internal HD be used as an ***external*** HD?

Hi Mackers
I use a MacIIcx with an internal Quantum80 HD. Having a spare ***internal***
Quantum80 HD, I would appreciate advice on how to use it as an ***external***
HD, connecting it to the Mac's SCSI port.
In particular, what kind of cabling should be used, if it is at all possible
to connect it in this way?
Thanks for your help.
Joao

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 13:38 EST
From: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Disk Cataloging Software

I am running out of space on my hard disk and I can't afford $600
to get another one.  So I have decided to keep my less used (some
almost never used) things on floppy disks, reserving my HD for the
important things.  (like lots of beep sounds).

This would be much easier if I had software to maintain catalogs of my
floppy disks.  Ideally I would be able to maintain a "directory" of
my floppies on the hard disk, and be able to search the directory like
a library index to find the right one.  A program that prints nice labels
for the disks would also help.

Has anyone heard of or used such software?  Any advice would be much
appreciated.  Please send me E-Mail and I will summarize for the net.

Chris Eliot
Umass/Amherst

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 89 09:11 CST
From: "Paul Kleeberg, AT&T: 507-931-6721" <PAUL%GACVAX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard Questions

Dear Netlanders:

I have a text in a HyperCard stack that I am trying to send to the PC
environment.  All works well until I try and convert "e-acute" on the Mac
(NumToChar(142)) to an "e-acute" on the PC environment (NumToChar(130)).  The
problem occurs when I search and replace using HyperCard, the Mac replaces ALL
the "e's" (uppercase, lowercase e-acute, e-umlaut, etc.) with NumToChar(130)
so that when it is transferred to the PC ALL e's are "e-acute".  Does anyone
know a way around this?

My second question:  Is there someplace that I can pose simplistic questions
about HyperTalk besides this Digest that I can reach on Bitnet?

Thanks!

Paul
Internet:  MA.YPK@Forsythe.Stanford.Edu
           K.Kleeberg@Macbeth.Stanford.Edu
BITNET:    PAUL@GACVAX1.BITNET
AT&T:      (507) 931-6721
USSnail:   217 West Swift Street
           Saint Peter, MN 56082-2440

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 89 16:52:45 EST
From: cory%aaec1.UUCP@dspvax.mit.edu (Cory Myers)
Subject: INITShare Problems

I have been trying unsucessfully to use INITShare in our environment.
Particularly, I have system 6.0.2, Finder 6.1, MultiFinder 6.0.1,
Suitcase II 1.2.5, and TOPS 2.1.  I think the problem is an
incompatability with TOPS.  Particularly:

1. INITShare finds the inits and cdevs if I move them to another
folder on the same startup disk.

2. INITShare does not find them if I put them on a TOPS volume.

Has anyone else had this problem, or, better yet, anyone solved this
problem?

BTW, has anyone thought about extending the idea of INITShare to
include almost all of the system (System, Finder, MultiFinder,
Backgrounder, DaHandler, etc.), i.e. make the netboot init?

Thanks,

		Cory Myers
		Atlantic Aerospace Electronics Corporation

		cory%aaec1.uucp@dspvax.mit.edu
		uunet!dspvax.mit.edu!aaec1!cory

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 89  12:07:31 EST
From: Jurgenb%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: McSink problem/Floptical Drives

I recently downloaded McSink from the archives (version 6 point something)
and was unable to get it to work.  I have a 2Meg Mac+, running System 6.0.3,
but I also tried it under System 5.0 with no INITs whatsoever, and got the
same type of crash.  Basically, when it comes up Quickdraw gets all confused,
and when quitting it crashes with various fatal system errors.  Anybody have
any idea what's going on here?  I had downloaded it once before (same ver-
sion, I believe) and it had worked fine.  I didn't end up using it, so I
ditched it then, but now I have a need for some of its capabilities. I be-
lief that I was running System 5.0 then.

On another note, a couple of weeks back I got some literature from a company
(possibly "Insite Peripherals") announcing a 20 Meg floptical 3.5" drive for
OEMs.  This drive had been mentioned in the September Vaporware column.  What
the Vaporware column didn't say is that this drive can also read and write
standart 3.5" disks.  The 20 Meg disks are nearly identical to regular 3.5"
disks, except that they have optically encoded servo tracks, apparently mak-
ing it possible to pack the magnetic tracks more tightly (I think they are
also using vertical encoding).  The best part was that the drive OEM'ed at
a price between $300-$400 in quantities of 5,000.  This could mean that this
thing will retail well below $1000.  Given all this, and the fact that real
optical, erasable media will probably remain quite a bit more expensive for
a couple of years, I think this drive could be the hit of 1990.  I sure
would like to have one... with a 20 Meg floppy (which can be your only
floppy since it also reads and writes standart ones) you can do serious
work even if your using storage intensive stuff like 24-bit graphics.  It's
even viable to back up your 300 Meg hard disk (:-) onto floppies, since it
is unlikely that more than 20 Meg will change between incremental backups.

The drive is apprently set up for SCSI connection, which should make it
possible to put it directly into your Mac, replacing your internal floppy
drive (which you won't need anymore - you can resell it for about $150 to
$200).  I want one now!!!!  If anyone out there has more information re-
garding availability on the retail level, please pass it on.

And, oh yeah, the drive should olso work with - grimace - IBMs.

 Icon and      Jurgen Botz
 signature     Internet:    JurgenB@UMass.bitnet   (possibly temporary)
 should be     Compuserve:  70531,600   (70531.600@compuserve.com)
 here. Some    Voice:       US (413) 256-8610
 day! sigh.    Snail Mail:  11 S. Prospect St., Amherst, MA 01002, USA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 89 21:22:49 EST
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Microphone Upgrades

     I just received my letter allowing me to upgrade from Microphone 1.5 to Mi
crophone II 3.0. For the people who already upgraded or have MP II: How do you
like it? Was it worth the $85? Do you think the scripting feature is important?
 Overall how you think about it? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly a
ppreciated. Thanks.

                   Chris Khoury
                   3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET
Acknowledge-To: <3XMQGAA@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 11:17:58 -0600
From: willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com (David A Willcox)
Subject: MPW C Indent 1.1

> Here is Indent 1.1. It's an MPW tool to prettyprint C code.
> Includes source code plus the compiled tool.  Includes a commando
> interface to help select among the numerous formatting options.
>
> Ported from GNU indent program by Jeffrey Kowalski

Just to give credit (blame?) where it is due - Jeffrey Kowalski did not
write GNU indent, he ported (and enhanced?) it.  Indent was written at
the University of Illinois in 1976, and has since been modified at least
by UC Berkeley and Sun Microsystems.  Those three have copyright notices
in the code.  I believe that others have had their fingers in it over
the ages.

David A. Willcox
Motorola Urbana Design Center	UUCP: ...!uiucuxc!udc!willcox
1101 E. University Ave.		INET: willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com
Urbana, IL 61801		FONE: 217-384-8534

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 18:32:40 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com
Subject: Public Domain software for Mac on CD

	I'm interested in getting info about any companies that sell public
	domain software libraries for the Mac in CD format. We want to set up
	a public domain software distribution service using an NEC CD-ROM drive
	hooked to a Mac II. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The catalog from ComputerWare, in Palo Alto CA, lists about a dozen
CD-ROMs... of which, at least four would seem to be in the category
you're looking for.

Two Mac user-groups distribute their PD/shareware libraries on CD-ROM:
BMUG (the Berkeley Mac User Group; $99 list, $82 ComputerWare),
and the Boston Computer Society ($125 list, $89 ComputerWare... special
order only).

EduCorp has one ($199 list, $199 ComputerWare... hmmm... I guess
EduCorp doesn't offer much of a discount to its retailers?).

QL Tech has one called "The Right Stuffed"... it's a bunch of shareware
and PD stuff which has been compressed and archived using StuffIt.
When I spoke with one of the QL Tech people at last January's MacWorld,
he explained that "The Right Stuffed" is designed for the convenience
of sysops who are operating bulletin-board systems... the files are
ready to be downloaded.  $99 list, $85 ComputerWare.

I haven't used any of these CD-ROMs myself... although I may in the not
too distant future, as my CD-ROM drive is scheduled to arrive this
week.

My personal bias would be towards the BMUG CD-ROM... based on the fact
that BMUG is a well-run operation, isn't out to make a big profit, and
seems to be charging a very reasonable price for their CD-ROM.  The
same is true of the Boston Computer Society, from what I've heard... I
haven't dealt with them.

Unless the EduCorp CD-ROM is far superior to the BMUG/BCS product, I'd
steer clear of it based on price alone.

The QL Tech pre-stuffed disk might be a good choice if you want to ensure
that people download _all_ of a package when they fetch it from your
server, and want to minimize network traffic.

Note: as far as I know, none of these CD-ROMs is strictly limited to
public-domain software.  I expect that all of them have a substantial
amount of shareware stuff.  You should be certain to educate your users
in the appropriate shareware protocols ("If you use it, send in your
bucks!").

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 16:45 EST
From: FRIEDMAN@anchor.rutgers.edu
Subject: Results of the Iron-on hunt

Well folks, it's been a while, however, I hope the results will be viewed as
worth waiting for.  Basically there are two means for generating iron-on
transfers using the Macintosh.

If you have an imagewriter printer you can purchase a ribbon known as the
"Underware Ribbon.  Joao Candido Portinari reports that the following vendor is
a source or can lead you to a source of this product:

			Underware Ribbon
			Diversions, Inc.
			505 W. Olive Ave. # 520
			Sunnyvale, CA 94086
			Tel. 408-245-7575

I received a letter both praising and complaining about the Underware Ribbon.
The main complaint was that:
	"it gums up in the IW and sticks, and even if you do manage to get a
	  complete printout, not much color transfers to the T-shirt
	  and it doesn't last".

I do not have any idea as to the price of the ribbon, but, I imagine you can
get this info from the above.

The other alternative was recently seen by Shannon V. Spires in MacWeek (Dec 5,
1989 pg 87).  The company BlackLightning:
			BlackLightning, Inc.
			RR 1-87, Depot Rd
			Hartland, Vt 05048
			1-800-BLACK99 (I hate it when they expect you to be
					able to spell in order to call them)
ran a very, very, small ad in which they mention (in very small print (hope
you guys are reading this!!)) that they sell a laserwriter cartridge which makes
iron-on transfers.  The cartridges come in Black, Blue, Red, Green and Brown and
sell for $113 ($99 if you send them an exhausted cartridge) or all 5 for $420
($350 with trade-ins).  The cartridge is supposed to be good for 500-1000
printouts with each sheet good for 3-4 transfers.

Shannon reported on some concerns:
"The toner causes no damage to Laserwriter. It is no more "harmful" to
the machine than regular toner. The sublimation dye in the toner
requires a 400 degree temperature for 15 seconds in order to vaporize;
Laserwriter only produces a max temp of about 270 degrees and that is
only for a fraction of a second.

  In order to stand up to repeated washings, the best fabric to use must
contain at least 50% polyester, and be tightly-knit. Double-knit is also
good. Tight knit is essential to make the vaporizing dye go onto the cloth
rather than through the cloth and onto whatever's underneath it. A
T-shirt press is also the best way to apply the transfer, but a standard
home iron can also be used if that's all you have available. You can
reuse the same transfer as many as 6 different times, but by the fourth
time it begins to look a bit faded. If you must transfer onto 100%
cotton, Black Lightning sells something called a "prep sheet" which is a
transfer that applies a coating of polyester onto the fabric. You iron
on the prep sheet, then iron on your design."

It also should be reported that BlackLightning claims that their customers
use the transfers to transfer on to practically anything, including ceramics
(mugs) baseball caps, leather, metal, etc.

BlackLightning will send you a sample package which includes a transfer to try
and a cloth on which the transfer was already made if you call them.  If you
do call or order, I think we should give Shannon mention/credit for referring
us to them as they give a $5 credit voucher for referrals.

In conclusion, I'd like to thank all those who responded to by two requests for
info and wish all of you good luck with your printing.
- Rich Friedman
Friedman@biovax

------------------------------

Date: Thu 28 12 89 19:07 Z
From: U009%CCIW.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SF&I with (old) Xebec 1410 Controller

Has anyone built up a hard drive system for a Mac using the old Xebec
S1410 SASI controllers? (I had to add the 220/330 pull up/downs to the
5 unterminated lines, of course.) Using SF&I, the Mac appears to be
able to set up the proper "Mode" command and format the drive (once)
but the controller doesn't have anywhere to save the drive
characteristics. Now the system always boots up (from the floppy now)
saying the hard drive needs initializing but after selecting
"Initialize", and getting the dialogs that the directory is being
init'd, etc. there is still no drive icon. I assume the driver has to
be customized for the drive it is running off in this case but being a
novice Mac user, I know nothing about the problem. Any pointers would
be appreciated.

Regards, Stu Beal, VE3MWM, (U009@CCIW.BITNET),
National Water Research Institute,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

The future lies ahead... and behind us lies...   lies...   lies.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 01:30 EDT
From: GORDON DOHLE <DOHLE%Vax2.Concordia.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: STACKS WANTED-SOCIAL SCIENCES & HUMANITIES

HYPERCARD STACKS WANTED

A Special Plea to Instructional Development Specialists.

I'm looking for TEACHING STACKS in the Social Sciences and Humanities.
If you know of hypercard stacks in your institutions which are being used for
undergraduate pedagogy, either as primary or secondary teaching materials,
I would really like to hear from you or the authors/owners of the stacks.
If you know of a source where these might be available on the nets,
please also let me know. I'm interested in Political Science, Sociology,
Economics and History stacks but am also interested in other disciplines.
Freeware is of course preferable to Shareware and the latter to Commercial,
but at this stage I am primarily interested in their existence and
POSSIBLE availability.
Thanks for your help.

Gordon Dohle
Political Science and Humanities
Champlain Regional College
St. Lambert, Quebec
DOHLE@VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28-Dec-1989 11:39:22.26 CST
From: <rcd2403%tamchem.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (R. C. Davis)
Subject: SuperPaint vs. UltraPaint:  Comments please...

Season's Greetings!

In the Jan. '90 issue of MacUser, Deneba Systems (makers of Canvas) made an
incredible offer.  Their UltraPaint program is available for $50 with a
SuperPaint 1.1 Master disk.  To upgrade to SuperPaint 2.0, Silicon Beach
Software requires $50 plus v1.1 master disk.  Looking at information in the ad
for UltraPaint, I'm very tempted to buy it.

But before I jump into this purchase, I thought it would be good to get some
critical comments from users.  If there has been discussion on this software
package, please direct me to the appropriate issues of the digest.  If not, I
would appreciate if you would send your comments to me, and I'll post a
summary to the list.  The main issues of concern to me are compatibility (I
have a Mac Plus with a switchable 68020 accelerator board and an ImageWriter
II with color ribbon), memory requirements, customer support, and
bugs/incompatibility with other software (apps, DAs, "print" drivers).  Thanks
for your help.

Ricardo Davis
Dept. of Chemistry                           THEnet:    CHEMVX::RCD2403
Texas A & M University                       BITnet:    RCD2403@TAMCHEM
College Station, TX  77843-3255  USA         Internet:  RCD2403@CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU
Telephone  (409) 845-0612                               (128.194.5.2)
FAX        (409) 845-4719

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 09:47:57 EST
From: KESLER%OUACCVMA.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: WANTED: Mac Intro or Primer for Programming / Resources

Date: 28 December 1989, 09:37:26 EST
>From: KESLER   at OUACCVMA
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

GREETINGS NETLANDERS!

My curiosity has gotten the best of me and, like an increasing number of
you, I want to do more than just *use* applications on my MAC -- I want to
take them apart, make changes, and maybe even write a few myself!  What I
need is some sort of primer or introduction to a lot of the terminology
that I see posted here.  Where does someone familiar with programing in the
IBM world begin a trek into MacLand?  Here are a few questions for starters:

1)  What are *resources* in Macintosh terminology?  What do they do?  How
    are they used and manipulated?

2)  In reference to many postings to the archives I see the acronym MPW
    quite a bit.  I know it has something to do with programing and
    languages (is it a language?) but I'm not sure.

3)  There are many references to a utility program called ResEdit and
    other similar programs.  Where can I get this program?  How much
    does it cost?  Who sells it?

4)  In short, where is a good place to begin learning how it all works?
    I'm especially interested in introductory or beginning level
    materials.

Thank you all for your patience, and thanks in advance for any info
you can supply.

     ___         _____________________________________________
   /XXXXX      |  University Computing and Learning Services |
  |X|  |XX|     |              INFORMATION CENTER             |
      /XX/      |        Ohio University, Athens, Ohio        |
     |XX|       |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
      __        |          BITNET: kesler@ouaccvma            |
     |XX|       |_____________________________________________|
                THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE MINE, NOT MY EMPLOYER'S.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 16:38 CST
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: X windows and Mac client

Following request in info-mac 7.224...

Are you sure you want X *client* software? In X-speak, servers are "display
servers" -- thus they run on the user's workstation. The client is the
application running -- typically -- on a larger machine.

In case you want X *server* software -- then, to my knowledge, the only
product currently available for the Mac OS (as opposed to the one you get
with the A/UX distribution) is eXodus, by:

White Pine Software, Inc.
94 Route 101A
P.O.Box 1108
Amherst, NH 03031
(603) 886-9050

Please understand I have no direct experience of this item. For a recent
review of the program, turn to the Dec.11,1989 issue of "Digital Review",
pp. 33-34.

Sandro Corsi // Dept. of Art // Univ.of Wisconsin-Oshkosh // Osh.,WI 54901
              <corsi@oshkoshw> // <corsi@oshkosh.wisc.edu>

End of Info-Mac Digest