Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/03/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  2 Jan 90       Volume 8 : Issue   1

Today's Topics:
                            6.0.4 problems
       Apple vs 3rd party RAM and Internal vs. external drives
                          Batch un-binhexing
              Booting a Plus from SCSI with HD20 present
         Can an internal HD be used as an ***external*** HD?
                            Clocks & Fonts
                       Disk Cataloging Software
                  E-Mail address for HD manufacturer
                           HC Compact help
               Hypercard date problem (happy new year?)
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #230
                       InitShare Problem Fixed
                        K2 expert system demo
                            laser printing
                                 QD32
                          removable drives.
                using internal HDs as external (Reply)
                              WDEF virus

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 01 Jan 90 13:08:35 EST
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 6.0.4 problems

     I upgraded my system to 6.0.4 recently. When I select the Finder Icon and
choose get Info, funny vertical lines come on my screen and the mouse locks up.
 I have GateKeeper Aid, GateKeeper, Warning, Suitcase 1.2, SFVol INIT in my sys
tem folder. Any suggestions, answers?

Chris Khoury
Acknowledge-To: <3XMQGAA@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1989 13:18:50 EST
From: RICH@suhep.phy.syr.edu   (Richard S. Holmes)
Subject: Apple vs 3rd party RAM and Internal vs. external drives

"Eric W. Tilenius" <EWTILENI@pucc.princeton.edu> writes:

>1) I'd like 4 meg ram.  Should I order that installed from Apple or should
>   I get the 1M model and install the extra RAM from 3rd party suppliers?
>.
>.
>.
>3) I'm looking to buy about an 80 Meg hard drive -- am I best off with
>   an internal or external?  Apple or non-apple?  How hard is it to
>   install a third party internal drive?  What are good brands of drives
>   and is 80 Meg a good size to get?  What should I look for?

1) You'll save a bundle getting RAM from a 3rd party, especially if you install
it yourself.  You'll need to know which end of a screwdriver to hold but not a
lot more... follow the directions carefully, especially with regard to
anti-static procedures.  (Otherwise, the Apple RAM will turn out to be much
cheaper :-))  I got my RAM from Newer Technologies (look for the ad in the back
of MacUser) and was satisfied with price and service, though other places may
be cheaper.

3) Advantages to internal: (1) Saves space; (2) Cheaper.  Advantages to
external: (1) Can be moved to another Mac, as one way to transport a bunch of
data; (2) Another Mac can be moved to it, so you can use your data and software
while your Mac is in the shop if it dies, or if you buy a Mac IIIcccxxx next
year; (3) And if it's the drive that dies, you can send it to the shop and
still use your mac; (4) Trivial to install.  Apple vs. non-Apple: Non-Apple is
cheaper, usually better, better warrantee.  I like my Jasmine 40 Mb.  80Mb is a
good size to get if 80 Mb is the size you will need.  Otherwise, it isn't.
Stupid, but true.  You just have to add up the sizes of all the stuff you could
ever under any conceivable circumstances want to put on your disk.  Multiply by
two and get that much disk: with any luck, it won't be full for about a year.
Or multiply by four and be happy for a couple years.

                                                   Rich Holmes

     Richard S. Holmes              Phone: (315)443-3891 or
     Physics Department                            -2701
     Syracuse University            Bitnet:   rich@suhep
     Syracuse, NY 13244             Internet: rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

DISCLAIMER: I have no opinions.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 90 10:45:59 PST
From: trewitt@miasma.stanford.edu
Subject: Batch un-binhexing

I use a unix (C) program called "mcvert" that I got from the info-mac
archives at sumex.stanford.edu.  It's in info-mac/unix/mcvert, complete
with manual page.  It converts to/from MacBinary format and several
others, most notably BinHex4 (.hqx).  It will also unpack PackIt files
if you want, but does not understand StuffIt files (sigh).

So, what I do is something like:
	mcvert -Dx *.hqx
        rm *.hqx
	Transfer *.bin files to Mac in MacBinary format.
		(I use either Kermit or NCSA Telnet.)
	Usually, end up with a bunch of SIT! files, complete with icons.

I hear that Raymond Lau's commercial verion of StuffIt will do batch
unstuffing.  (Is it out yet?)  mcvert saves me a good portion of the
conversion that I would otherwise do on the Mac, and reduces the size
of the file to transfer.

	- Glenn Trewitt

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jan 90 18:51:00 MDT
From: "5268 Spires, Shannon V." <svspire@sandia.gov>
Subject: Booting a Plus from SCSI with HD20 present

How do you boot a Mac Plus from a SCSI drive when it also has a
non-SCSI old-fashioned Apple HD20 attached? I have a Mac Plus
with an HD20 that I've been using for a long time, but I
recently added a bigger SCSI drive to the system. I'd like to
move the system files to the SCSI drive and boot from it, since
it's faster, but I cannot tell the system to look at the SCSI
drive "before" the HD20, presumably because the HD20 is for
all practical purposes a floppy, and the Mac always looks at
floppies first when booting. The Startup Device CDEV, of course, is
no help because it doesn't run on a Plus.

What happens is this: the Mac sees the HD20 and the "Happy Mac"
icon appears, but then it immediately disappears because there are
no system files on the HD20. Then it sees the SCSI drive and another
Happy Mac appears, the SCSI boots, and everything's ok, EXCEPT that
the HD20 then goes through the entire "check disk" routine which takes
several minutes. Apparently, the initial "happy mac" when the HD20 is
seen screws up the message on disk that says "disk intact" and the HD20
has to be completely rescanned. Is there any way to boot from a SCSI
and avoid rescanning the HD20 every time? (I know I could just take the
HD20 off the Mac and throw it in the creek where it belongs, but I really
need the combined capacity of both drives.)

Any help would be much appreciated. If anyone writes to me having similar
problems, I'll summarize responses to the net.

Shannon Spires
svspire@sandia.gov

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 89 12:59:59 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com
Subject: Can an internal HD be used as an ***external*** HD?

	I use a MacIIcx with an internal Quantum80 HD. Having a spare
	***internal*** Quantum80 HD, I would appreciate advice on how
	to use it as an ***external*** HD, connecting it to the Mac's
	SCSI port.  In particular, what kind of cabling should be used,
	if it is at all possible to connect it in this way?

It's entirely possible, and not all that difficult.  Here's what you'll
need:

1) A case, mounting bracket, and power supply.  You can buy a suitable case
   from quite a few vendors... I believe that Tulin has then with both
   35-watt and 60-watt power supplies.

2) A power-cable to run from the power supply to the drive.  Most SCSI
   disks require +5 and +12 volts, via a 4-pin Molex connector.
   The power supply you buy will almost certainly come equipped with the
   correct cable... it's a standard type.

3) On the case, you'll want to mount a 50-pin Centronics-style female
   jack, of the sort that's designed to clamp onto a 50-conductor
   ribbon cable ("solderless", "insulation displacement", or
   "vampire").  Cases made for mounting Mac disks will probably have
   this connector and its ribbon-cable already installed;  if not, you
   can buy 'em at any good electronics-supply store.

4) You'll need several inches of 50-conductor ribbon cable... buy a foot or
   so (it's cheap).

5) You'll need a 50-pin female insulation-displacement IDS connector... the
   sort which plugs into the 50-pin header mounted on the drive's PC
   board.  This connector goes on the other end of the ribbon cable.
   IDS connectors are usually "keyed"... they have some small plastic
   protrustions which fit into slots on the 50-pin header, so that you
   cannot plug them in backwards.

6) You'll need a "Mac to disk" shielded cable... which has a male DB-25
   connector on one end (plugs into the Mac's SCSI port), and a male
   50-pin Centronics plug on the other (plugs into the jack on the disk-
   drive cabinet).  Don't try to wire up one of these yourself... they're
   tricky.

Then, wire 'em together.

The only tricky part is wiring the ribbon cable which runs from the
Centronics-style connector to the IDS connector.  You must be careful to
ensure that the "vampire" fangs on the connectors each pierce one, and
only one wire in the ribbon cable... otherwise you'll short the SCSI bus.
You must also be certain that you wire the cable's polarity correctly,
so that pin 1 on the Centronics connector goes to pin 1 on the SCSI disk.

The easiest way to ensure that you do this correctly is to open up an
existing SCSI hard disk cabinet... one which uses the 50-pin Centronics
connector on its chassis... and mimic the cable construction you
see there.

If you can buy a case/power-supply/cable-and-connector-set package which
is already properly wired for SCSI disks, you'll save yourself a large
amount of heartburn.  I've been hacking homebrew SCSI configurations for
several months, and almost _all_ of the problems I've had came from
miswired or defective cables.

You may also need to move some jumpers or flip some switches on the drive's
controller board, to set its SCSI address.  You can't use address 7,
which the Mac reserves... and by convention you should not use 0, which
is the standard address for internal hard disks.

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 90 12:27 CST
From: Hard On The Beaver <JABUSSEY%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Clocks & Fonts

  Does anyone know of an Application, init or Cdev that will turn the MAC
into an Alarm Clock??? (Like keep Beeping or playing a sound untill you either
Wake up or kinck it off the desk).
  Also I'm looking for a Utility that will allow me to change the system fonts
or fonts that an application uses. If someone knows how to do this with resedit
I could do it that way also. (I knew how to do it once upon a time but it has
slipped my mind)

Thanks In Advance
Jacque Andre' Bussey
Apple Student Representative
University of Arkansas Little Rock
(Please send responses directly to me)
BITNET: JABUSSEY@UALR
INTERNET: JABUSSEY%UALR@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 90 14:23:42 PST
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Disk Cataloging Software

Although I don't personally use any of the floppy labelling software and wrote
my own cataloger, there is a commercial package (inexpensive) from MainStay
that seemed to be what you want -- it's called "Disk Ranger".  I've also heard
good things about a package from Williams & Macias called "My Disk Labeller",
but have not actually seen this one in action.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 12:19 -0300
From: "JOAO C. PORTINARI" <PUCRJPP%BRFAPESP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: E-Mail address for HD manufacturer

I would appreciate receiving info on the e-mail address for:
Universal Mac Products, Inc.
942 Calle Amanecer, Suite A
San Clemente, CA 92672
714-498-7945 or
FAX: 714-498-7560
They make the internal Quantum 80 HD, and I need to get in touch
with them but, from Rio, telephone and FAX are too costly.
Thanx in advance!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Jan 90 20:30:15 PST
From: GPR001Y%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: HC Compact help

        Hello All! I have two quick questions. First, how much disk space
is needed to compact a HyperCard stack? Example, if a stack is 100k with a
freesize of 50k, do you need 50k of free k on the disk or do you need 100k?
        Secondly, I am finishing a new version of my Quick Compacter stack. The
first couple of versions I sent out were buggy and I have vowed not to do
that again. If you have the time to beta-test my latest version, please
contact me via E-Mail. By the way, Quick Compacter is a stack that compacts
other stack. It is very fast and very easy to use. The latest version allows
for compaction of an entire volume and all mounted volumes, and much more.
        So, If you have an answer to the first question and/or wish to help me
test Quick Compacter, please contact me via E-Mail. Thank you very much!

Mark Elpers
Bitnet: GPR001Y@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 09:59 EST
From: <FILLMORE%EMRCAN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypercard date problem (happy new year?)

Has anybody noticed a date problem in their DateBook Hypercard stack?
Today I extended my six-monthly calendar and now I cannot display my
weekly calendar.  If you click on the icon to display the weekly calendar
it displays the six-monthly calendar instead.
If anybody has found the solution please post it!
________________________
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 89 23:37:47 CST
From: james968@mickey.cc.utexas.edu (James Hammett)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #230

My father has recently gotten a Radius accelerator and seems to have found a bug
If he uses MacIntax(sp???) when he tries to save his work his mac freezes up and
he needs to restart it to get it to do anything.

Any help will be apreciated.

				Thanks,
				jame968@sleepy.cc.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 10:32:30 EST
From: cory%aaec1.UUCP@dspvax.mit.edu (Cory Myers)
Subject: InitShare Problem Fixed

My problem with InitShare and TOPS has been fixed.  Thanks to
Allen.Wessels@UTXVM.CC.UTEXAS.EDU for his suggestion.  The cure was to
use ForceMount.  My system folder now looks like:

	1. Softtalk - for TOPS
	2. TOPS
	3. ZZZ ForceMount - run after TOPS
	4. ZZZ InitShare - run last

and everything works.

		Cory Myers
		cory%aaec1.uucp@dspvax.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 10:07:35 +0100
From: Guillaume Doumenc <Guillaume.Doumenc@mirsa.inria.fr>
Subject: K2 expert system demo

K2 is an expert system generator dedicated to MacIntosh. It uses lot of
the Mac facilities and allows to generate real applications without
expert environment. This version is a demonstration version which
accepts no more than 20 rules. Here are the main features of K2 :

- propositional logic with global variables
- compilation of the rules
- fuzzy logic and special behaviour
- modularity of the knowledge base
- interface with C and use external variables (EXCEL,...)
- internal specialized dictionnary
- trace mode
- generation of stand-alone applications or desk accesories

More (saling) information from
internet:       gdo@mirsa.inria.fr
mail:           SOFT MOUNTAIN
		62 Chemin Notre Dame
		06 220 VALLAURIS - FRANCE

This package contains :

- the editor (it needs a formatted floppy to work)
- the desk accessory
- the on-line help file
- 2 small examples

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/k2-part1.hqx; 170K
             /info-mac/demo/k2-part2.hqx; 167K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 12:58:34 CST
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: laser printing

has anyone ever tried printing to vellum? I have a bunch, and might (finally)
use it if this would work. I'd have to cut it to the right size, natch, but I
don't know if the toner-heat-bonding process would work properly.

 -- clint

disclaimer: so sue me! sue me!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 90 11:17:51 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: QD32

Hello Folks.
  I need to program in 32-bit Quickdraw with a RasterOps 224 card on
a IIci. I have a couple of questions which I hope somebody can help
me answer:

1. The C interface in the Apple Color Disk is for MPW. I want to run
   it in Think C but has encountered numerous problems such as
   illegal function prototypes etc. Also, which of the includes must
   I not use? I keep getting pmExplicit already defined and my solution
   to this was to edit the original color.h and comment it off. Please
   enlighten me.

2. I need to copybits on multiple devices. One of the first things I
   notice was that copybits do not update the window when its not in
   the main device. And I don't understand the documentation in IM V.
   Please advice on how best to write programs that will work on multiple
   gDevices.

Please, any example source code in C or Pascal will be even better.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 12:54:44 CST
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: removable drives.

any opinions on the Hard Drives Int'l removable? it's a syquest drive. does
it come with appropriate formatting, etc., software?

I'm getting enough tax refund this year to afford a removable, but no one wants
to spend more than is necessary, and I have no special urge to buy brand names.

 -- clint

disclaimer: so sue me!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 89 00:07:48 HFH
From: Heiner Brinnel <BRINNEL%FRSUN12.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Summary: removable HD systems

*i
A month ago I sent a request for information on removable 40-45 MO HD
cartridge-systems.
I received 7 replies, and here is the summary. Thanks to Dave Platt,
Robert J. Brenstein, Dr A. W. Hewat, Declan A. Rieb, Chuck Bigham, Chris
Pepper, and Boris Ulysses for their contribution.
The overall recommendation goes to Syquest mechanisms which are
commercialized by several companies. The differences reside in
software/drivers, - in respect to this, nobody is perfect, but it seems
as if Mass Micro and MicroTech had the "less worse" software. Nobody said
to be deceived by the Syquest drive, and many even intend to buy a second
drive for backups. Indeed, although these drives are conceived to be used
for backups, many use them just like regular HD's, without significant
problems. We'll see if this remains true in the long run...
Iomega mechanisms are much more expensive than Syquest, and have failed
one some occasions. Their software doesn't even reach the level of the
weak reliability of Microtech. Jasmine is even worse, skip it.
Trice of the Syquest-based drives are around $800-$1000, and $80-$100
for a cardtidge. Looks like an excellent solution for those, like me, who
need cheap and readily accessible storage facilities!
Once more, thanks to the contributors, and to the list-managers of Info-
Mac.
.
Heiner Brinnel, MD
Dept of Pathophysiology
Hopital-Maternite
B.P. 0116, F-69593 L'Arbresle Cedex
France
e-mail: brinnel@frsun12. bitnet
Acknowledge-To: <BRINNEL@FRSUN12>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 90 15:45:13 CET
From: "Guenther Sawitzki, StatLab Heidelberg" <J40%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: using internal HDs as external (Reply)

The internal disks come with a build-in terminator. In most types,
this is a small (yellow) bank plugged in on the disk controller board,
located near the LED. You have to remove this resitor (?) if you want
to use an internal disk as an external.
Unscrew the bottom cover and just compare both boards.
 Guenther

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 16:30:53 CST
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: WDEF virus

could someone explain how this thing propagates itself? I haven't been able to
figure out how it could work, unless it is taking advantage of something like
the gnu mail virus that clobbered machines across the country a year ago.

if it DOES work that way (i.e., there's a way to get the uni-finder to execute
a piece of code in the desktop file) that means there's a SERIOUS flaw in the
finder that needs IMMEDIATE fixing, because darn-near ANYTHING could happen at
that point, including completely wiping a disk (not irrecoverably, mind you,
but suppose it could cause a background program to get started, something like
an screen-saver init which waited for inactivity and then started reformatting
your drives?). scary.

 -- clint

End of Info-Mac Digest