Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/09/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  8 Jan 90       Volume 8 : Issue   4

Today's Topics:
                            6.0.4 bashing
            _Launch 1.2 grows without bound on my machine
                        Alternative for Tops?
clearing hypercard mouseclick buffer, Grappler with a Panasonic and...
                   Clipboard graphics and Word 4.0
                  Finding LONG Torx T-15 ScrewDriver
                        Hard drive interleaves
             How to write an 4th D External in Think C ?
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #1
                         Inside Mac Updates ?
                              JCRemote
                        Mac II boot problems.
                           PrintReport XCMD
               Sonic Finder for System 6.0.4  (v1.0.2)
                          Sound Mover 1.51r
              Suggestions for good non-proportional font
                                telnet
                         Where is SuperCard?
                         Xwindows application

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 18:13 PST
From: Ron Webster                          <IC6JRHW@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: 6.0.4 bashing

Re: the following two messages, posted in v8 #2, January 3rd (and
apparently several more like them):

>From: "PAUL R. POTTS" <PPOTTS%WATSON.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>In regard to another suspected case of System 6.0.4 poisoning:
>
>Once again, will people please be more cautious before blaming Apple's
>new system software release for their problems?  System 6.0.4 is a very
>clean release, and I have had no problems with it.

>From: C277839%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
>Subject: System 6.0.4 bombs
>
>Last week I was helping a friend with her new SE with 6.0.4 installed
>by the Campus reseller here at MU. With no inits installed, it was
>bombing on file transfers, and when we got info on a file.
>
>Just another story in the 6.0.4 saga...
>

>        Ian k. Sights

I don't take responsibility for this verbal thrashing of 6.0.4, but I do
acknowledge being among the first to post complaints, and in very
critical language.  Mr. Sights related experiences quite similar to mine.
I got my first "hate" e-mail in response to my 6.0.4 criticisms (to most
of which I responded directly).

I was accused of forming hasty judgments, advised to use the Installer
rather than drag-copying the system (it being assumed I had done the
latter), and so on.  What my critics overlooked was that I had system
crashes in response to Get Info commands after doing simple disk-to-disk
copying, even though I had booted from an unmodified, locked-disk copy of
the Apple System Software Tools disk.  I'm no Scott Knaster, but no one was
going to convince me that those Get Info crashes were due to left overs
>From poorly designed third-party applications or my failure to employ
proper procedures.

As it turned out, the disks that had come with my computer (all new,
sealed in the package) somehow contained bad copies of the system software.
I have subsequently installed 6.0.4 on my Macs (with copies from a
different set of Apple system software disks), and none of the problems
I originally encountered have recurred (and I made a token effort to
replicate some of them).

Based on the evidence I had when I posted my complaints, my inferences
were inductively valid (and I included appropriate disclaimers).  I
believe I did the right thing and used appropriate language.  As I
struggled to get my computer back up and running, I couldn't just go
out and grab another set of 6.0.4 disks.  And given the horrendous
experience I went through, and the wasted hourse and lost files (well,
not lost--they were backed up--but what a pain, anyway), I think it would
have been irresponsible of me not to warn the Mac community of the
potential danger.  The message I tried to convey was PROCEED WITH GREAT
CAUTION.

System 6.0.4 may be clean--indeed, it seems to be fine.  But something
else may be going on (perhaps Apple has distributed a bunch of bad
copies).  So, whereas I now agree with Mr. Potts, I remind him (and
others of his creed) that he was fortunate in his first encounter
with 6.0.4.  In this situation, it is better that users incorrectly
blame 6.0.4 for their problems than say nothing at all (although the
ideal would be, as Mr. Potts pointed out, to post the problems and
avoid placing blame).  When I posted my complaints, the evidence
against 6.0.4 was very strong (and there was no reasonably probable
alternative suspect).  Now that we know that something highly
improbable may be at work, future "victims" of 6.0.4 can be duly
conservative in their accusations.

In sum, I feel "exhonerated" in this matter (at one point I was
beginning to believe I had hallucinated the whole episode).  Hind-
sight has given me a different perspective, but has not convinced
me that my course of action should have been different.  I regret
only that my posted complaint wasn't taken more to heart by those
about to enter the world of 6.0.4--I wish someone had warned me,
then I could have either waited (selfishly letting others take the
knocks and do the testing), or tested the software from the floppies
for awhile before installing it on a hard drive (a wise approach, in
any case, with new system versions).

Ron Webster
-------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 90 01:27:05 EST
From: ngo%tammy@harvard.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo)
Subject: _Launch 1.2 grows without bound on my machine

Lunarmobiscuit, I've lost your e-mail address!

    My copy of _Launch 1.2 has grown to a size of 7,388,247 bytes.
Further symptoms are described in the P.S.

    While I'm at it, I would also suggest the following as more or
less mandatory in any launcher I'm willing to depend upon:

    *   Documents ought to be installable
    *   I should not have to unlock applications to install them (I
        guess I've mentioned this before)
    *   The window should be freely resizable and reshapable.

    Although I find fault with _Launch 1.2, I do like the overall Luni
programming philosophy:  small, fast and stable.  Keep up the good
work!

--Tom Ngo
  ngo@harvard.harvard.edu

SYMPTOMS:

    On investigation with ResEdit I have found that most of this can
be accounted for in the 67 fNam resources that it has amassed.  The ID
number of these resources go: 16, 6,5,4,3,2,1,0, 19,18,17,...,2,1,0,
19,18,...,0, and so on.  A random sampling of these resources reveals
that a couple of them are as large as 1,845,371 bytes.  There are also
60 drID resources, but the ones I looked at were only 4 bytes.  If it
helps, you can look at an abridged MacEnvy report of my system, below.
Also, I do not keep _Launch 1.2 locked.

MacEnvy System Environment Report (2.0)
Machine:          Macintosh II

Memory:           5120K  (5 megabytes)
Processor:        Motorola 68020
Coprocessor:      MC68881 installed
PMMU Chip:        Not installed
Clock Chip:       New clock chip (256 bytes)
ROM Version:      256K (Version 120), rev. 1
ROM C7 Info:      $97851DB6 (old II ROM)

System:           Version 6.0.2  (324K)
Finder:           Version 6.1
MultiFinder*:     Version 6.0.1  (active)
File System:      HFS (Hierarchical)
Debugger:         Installed at $0000E80A
RAM Cache:        128K, cache enabled
Current App:      "DA Handler"
Printing To:      DeskWriter (A.01.00)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 90 02:44:08 CST
From: C277839%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Alternative for Tops?

I'm setting up a database for our college radio staton, KCOU with a Mac
Plus and 4th Dimension. We will need to log on to the database periodicly
to add albums and print reports and such from our office SE.

My question is what should I use for networking the two together?
While Tops 3.0 is supposed to support AFP,(apple file protocol-
specificly, record locking) I don't know if it's shipping yet, and
of so, if the price has gone up. There was an alternative to TOPS
advertized a little while ago but the exact name eludes me. PSN?
I believe it was advertized as being less expensive than TOPS as
well as supporting AFP, but I seem to remember someone pointing
out that in small numbers it was more expensive than TOPS.

We would be interested in other alternatives too, we are on a
bit of a budget.
If someone with the skinny on this could shoot it to me I, and my
station would be most grateful.

Ian Sights------------------c277839@umcvmb.missouri.edu----------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 90 16:36 EDT
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: clearing hypercard mouseclick buffer, Grappler with a Panasonic and...

Hello all, I have three seemingly (probably) unrelated questions:

1.  How do I get HyperCard to clear the mouse buffer?  I have a videodisc
player connected to my Mac SE (4mb) running under sytem 6.0.3.  I have a
video driver known as voyager video xcmd.  My hypercard is 1.2.2.  The problem
is I have to wait a coulpe of seconds for the video disc to search and play the
propper section.  Meanwhile the use gets impatient and clicks a couple of more
times.  The computer stores these clicks, and acts each of them out just as
the video disc finally reaches the sectors.  I want to avoid this if I can.
_Please_ help me! :-(

2.  At my home I have a MacSE fdhd running off of 6.0.4.  I have a modem, but
no printer.  I have a couple of former IBM printers, an MX-80 (by epson) and
a Panasonic 1090.  I would prefer to use the 1090.  Has anyone connected this
to a grappler and used it with the mac? How has it worked?  Please let me know
how well this works or doesn't work, and anything else you think I should know.

3.  I am taking Russian at Wheaton College, and I was thinking about using my
Mac to do some word processing in Russian.  Does anyone know if there is a
standard (de facto or otherwise) for Cyrillic keyboards?  If it is possible, I
would like to use the "actual" keys (I know that real russian keyboards are
very different but I mean the setup that "real" Russians would prefer, not a
transliterated version).  Once again, please feel free to give me as much info
as possible.

Please respond directly to me at SZawasky@WheatnMA.bitnet and I will summarize
to infomac.

Thank you all very much.

                                                        Spencer Zawasky

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 90 15:53 EDT
From: "Peter D.M. Macdonald" <PDMMAC%McMaster.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Clipboard graphics and Word 4.0

Can anyone help me with this one?  I define a rectangle 0,0,512,342
equal to or inside the current clipping region, open a picture
in the rectangle, make a picture, close it, then load scrap.  This
works OK; the picture shows on the clipboard and I can paste it into
MacDraw, Superpaint or Word 4.0, for example.

If I try to paste it into MacWrite 4.6, I get a blank graphics box.
In word 4.0, the picture is there in Galley View but it doesn't
show in Print Preview and it doesn't print unless I re-size it smaller.
The problem doesn't happen if I first paste it into  MacDraw or
Superpaint, then 'Select All' and 'Copy' to the clipboard before I paste
into Word.

Is there something I must to do when I make the picture to ensure
that it is Word and MacWrite compatible?  Please reply directly to
"pdmmac@sscvax.mcmaster.ca" or "pdmmac@mcmaster.bitnet".

Thanks,
Peter Macdonald
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 90 03:51 CST
From: Richard <Tilley%ccm.UManitoba.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Finding LONG Torx T-15 ScrewDriver

El cheepo T-15's are just a half inch too short. You can remove that
much plastic from the handle with a hacksaw. The procedure is more
interesting if you chose one with an opaque handle ;-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 11:09:23 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard drive interleaves

I recently posted a message requesting information on how to determine
the interleave value on a hard drive. There does not seem to be any public
domain or commercially available utilities that can look at a formatted
drive and report the interleave value. One response that I received
suggested SilverLining Utilities from LaCie might report this value, but
I think you have to but a LaCie hard drive to get the software. The other
information I got was that Apple's HDSetup will allow you to set the
interleave if you enter a Command-I. After experimenting with this
feature, I determined that it tells you what the interleave will be
after the drive is formatted, not what it is currently set to. In addition
I discovered that no matter what type of Mac you are using, HDSetup
sets the interleave to 1.

Now I am really confused. My understanding of interleaves was tha a
Mac Plus needed an interleave of 3:, and SE uses 2:1 and a Mac II uses
1:1 to realize optimum drive performance. I also have a MicroNet drive
and its software wants to set the Plus to 6:1, the SE to 3:1 and the
Mac II to 1:1!

Does anyone know what the interleave really should set to? Please
respond to me and I will summerize for the net. Thanks.

Bob Bolt                   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre  CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta      AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 90 15:18:36 GMT
From: Peter Beerli <K494510%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How to write an 4th D External in Think C ?

hi folks,

I'm looking for some examples of external routines for 4th Dimension
written in THINK C 4.0. For our growing DB of natural objects
(conservation, land use, inventory of animals and plants), I need to write
some externals using resources like PICT, STR ,ALRT ....
Can anybody help ?

please send answers to:

K494510 at CZHRZU1A.bitnet

Peter Beerli, Zoologisches Museum UZI, Winterthurerstr. 190,
8057 Zurich, Switzerland

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 90 14:39 CST
From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #1

Some folk over at the library are looking for a system level driver for
either the Canon BJ130e (BubbleJet) printer or the IBM ProPrinter XL24E
printer.

One of the people involved is also curious whether anyone has a free
driver-builder available.

Please send answers directly to:

CBWIERDA@UALR (BITNET)

or send written replies to:
Albert Everett
Academic Computing Services
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Little Rock, AR  72204
(501) 569-8720

"I want to thank you in advance." -- Mose Allison

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 90 09:20 CDT
From: David Swanger <SWANGER@ducvax.auburn.edu>
Subject: Inside Mac Updates ?

Does anyone know if Apple is ever planning on releasing updated versions of the
Inside Macintosh document set?

Just curious.

David Swanger

swanger@auducvax		<-- Bitnet
swanger@ducvax.auburn.edu	<-- Internet

------------------------------

Date: 18 Dec 89 01:35:12 GMT
From: d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg)
Subject: JCRemote

This CDEV helps you move files and folders between Macs by using
AppleTalk. If you like Public Folder you might like this. This is
a very early version so there are known bugs and probably unknown
too. If you find bugs or have any comments please reply to me.
Drop it in the system folder and use the Chooser to get more info.

Have fun
  Martin Carlberg

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/jcremote.hqx; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jan 90 13:01:00 EST
From: "NRL::MASUMURA" <masumura%nrl.decnet@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Mac II boot problems.

Help!

We are having problems with Mac II's (not Pluses, not IIcx's, not IIx's)
which will occasionally not find the internal hard disk on booting.
The problem is intermittent, on ten or so different machines, bought
at different times, with different hard drives.  Apple dealers have
blamed the problems on:

  a. unsuitable hard disks (although we've had the problem with Rodime,
     Quantum, Seagate, CMS drives),

  b. incompatible system versions (we've seen the problem on LocalTalk
     networks using only System 6.02, but the problems were there with
     System 4.3 and 6.01 always being sure that all machines on the network
     have the same System and Finder),

  c. viruses (we've looked at the systems using Virex, Vaccine and other
     virus detectors and never found an infection.)

Our feeble and occasionally successful attempts at correcting the
problem include:

  1.  Boot from a floppy disk, Zap the Prams, repeatedly if necessary,
followed by a shut down, wait 10 seconds and then try to boot again.

  2.  Open the case, remove and re-insert boards and connectors.

  3.  As a last resort, a complete re-formatting of the hard disk.

One solution is to NEVER turn the system off to avoid rebooting.
There must be a BETTER way!

                  Bob Masumura, Naval Research Laboratory
                  masumura@ccf.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 14:46:28 -0600
From: willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com (David A Willcox)
Subject: PrintReport XCMD

Here is version 1.0 of PrintReport, an XCMD that lets you print a
report of selected cards in a HyperCard stack.  It doesn't give
as wide range of formats as the HyperCard builtin "Print Report...",
but it does:

 1) Let you specify font and style information for each column,
 2) Let you specify a HyperTalk expression which determines
    which cards to print, and
 3) Print the value of an arbitrary HyperTalk expression in each
    column, not just the content of a field.

This posting contains a demonstration stack and documentation.
Use ResCopier or ResEdit to copy PrintReport into your own stack.

PrintReport is shareware.

David A. Willcox
Motorola Urbana Design Center	UUCP: ...!uiucuxc!udc!willcox
1101 E. University Ave.		INET: willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com
Urbana, IL 61801		FONE: 217-384-8534

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/xcmd/printreport.hqx; 39K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 09:47 EST
From: Greg Smith <SMITH%BKNLVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Sonic Finder for System 6.0.4  (v1.0.2)

Since the Macintosh System Software version 6.0.4 came out, the
Finder has had the undocumented ability to play sounds corresponding
to various events.  Such events include opening and closing windows,
creating and deleting files, and even modifying windows.  All you
really need to take advantage of this feature is a piece of code.
Drag Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config to your system folder
and reboot.  You will then have a sonic Finder!

This is version 1.0.2 of the package.  The original version 1.0 that
some of you may have seen had an incompatibility with some systems
running UniFinder.  This problem has been fixed.  Please send any bug
reports to one of the addresses below.

Finder Sounds is FreeWare.  You are encouraged to redistribute this
package to your heart's content, but you must include the document,
Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config in any redistribution.  You
are also not allowed to charge any money for the Finder Sounds
package.  While Finder Sounds is FreeWare, it is not public domain,
and I retain the copyright.  You must be running System 6.0.4 to use
the Finder Sounds package.  Enjoy!

+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Greg Smith                 | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet       |
| Systems Analyst            |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet        |
| Bucknell Computer Services | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu          |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@amethyst.bucknell.edu |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801              |
+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/sonic-finder-102.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 7:47:54 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Sound Mover 1.51r

Sound Mover is one of the BEST public domain sound moving utilities!
Here are some of the features found in this release:

NEW FEATURES:

Now includes four radio buttons for playback speed variance and a
new sliding scroll bar for volume levels.

New enhanced memory management and bug fixes.

STANDARD FEATURES:

    1.  It will read and automatically notice 'SND ' sounds
(HyperCard types 1 & 2),  ASMD (WorldBuilder format),   SMSD
(Crystal Quest format), as well as SoundCap, SoundWave, and
SoundEdit.

    2.  It performs all sound moving using a Font/DA Mover-type
interface.

    3.  Allows you to edit the sounds graphically and move your
editted material to the proper location.

    4.  Will read compressed SoundEdit files.

    5.  Online help.

    6.  TONS MORE!!

Docs included!

Shareware

This file also include Sound->snd 1.2e for changing sounds to snd
format, StartupSndInit 1.3d for playing a startup sound, and
IBeep2

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/sound-mover-151.hqx; 109K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 90 15:23:39 EST
From: cherry@mgh-coffee.harvard.edu (Mike Cherry)
Subject: Suggestions for good non-proportional font

I am in need of a non-proportional font which can be downloaded to our
laserwriters.  We would like something like the Monaco font and point
sizes of 7, 8, 9, and 10 would be nice.  Our application is to produce
tables of DNA sequence for publication.  I mentioned the monaco font
because it is better than the courier font which we are not pleased
with basically we are interested in a sans serif font.

Thanks to any one with information, commercial suggestions are welcome.

J. Michael Cherry				Director of Computing
Massachusetts General Hospital			Department of Molecular Biology
Boston, MA 02114				617-726-5955
cherry@mgh-coffee.harvard.edu			cherry@harvunxu.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 05.01.90.13:43:46
From: nve%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: telnet

Dear coordinator,

Do you know of the existance of an AZERTY version (in comparison to a QWERTY
keyboard) for the NCSA Telnet package for the MAC?
Is the package also available for the Mac II big screen instead of the Mac SE
kind of screen?

Thanks in advance,

Marc Thoelen
Limburg University Centre
Belgium

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 90 13:27 -0300
From: "JOAO C. PORTINARI" <PUCRJPP%BRFAPESP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Where is SuperCard?

Am I missing something or is it true that there is no SuperCard stuff
in Info-Mac's archives? Is anyone using SuperCard with Macromind's Director
or even to produce "enhanced" HC stacks?
I would appreciate any info on SuperCard related material.
Joao

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 11:46:25 EST
From: adriene <ADRIENE%YALEADS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Xwindows application

I saw posting in the info mac about x windows.

I have no experience with anything having to do with x windows but can
tell you this:

eXodus from White Pine software.

I just got the product information saying its the first xwindows app for the
macintosh.

I also want to mention MacX from Apple themselves.  I have the product sheet fo
r the product ... havent seen the product released.

When  I asked my friendly
informative Apple contact he said "Its worth it to wait for Apple's MacX,
they are NON Rooted windows ... eXodus runs as Rooted windows... I cant tell
you when it will be released but you may only want a 90 day evaluation copy
of eXodus"

P.S.  Please interpret this info as is... I wouldnt know a "rooted window"
if I stepped on it.  Hope this gave you a lead or two.

End of Info-Mac Digest