Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/15/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 14 Jan 90       Volume 8 : Issue   7

Today's Topics:
         ---------------- RED RIDER VER10.3 ----------------
                          3270 and Macintosh
            Answers to 2 Telnet Qs, and frenchified tn3270
        Apple MacPLus upgrade kit or MacRescue (if same price)
                          BenchMark Labs???
                        Faulty Mac Hard Drives
                             Hard Drives
                  Help with StuffIt please ! SOS !!
                              Hermes BBS
            How do you beat Broderbund's copy protection?
        IBM DisplayWrite 3.0 convert to Word 4.0 (Help Anyone)
                      MacInHebrew Desk Accessory
                         MacIPv4.0 for MacTCP
                      Mac Typewriter Software?
                          MiniWriter DA 1.6
                         Mouse Event Problems
                         Networking question
                       PostScript/Word Question
            Readme for uupc v2.0 (unofficial) for LSC v4.0
                            RRH extensions
                         ThinkC malloc limit
             Which hard drive would you buy for your Mac?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 16:24:05 EST
From: Montcalm%CMR001.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: ---------------- RED RIDER VER10.3 ----------------

I have tryed to DOWNLOAD a file from Genie services without much
success. I have used XMODEM and XMODEM 1K protocols - both did not
work.

I am sure there are some important details to setup before
starting a transfer and I hope somebody could specify for me
exactly those that are required for doing a file transfer
other than text file.

I sent my request to MACINFO on the Genie network but the reply
sounded as if it were from a salesman for upgrading to "White Knight"...

I simply want to extract to documentation about STUFFIT which is
used for compacting files...

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jan 90 08:52:08 GMT
From: dnater@ads.com
Subject: 3270 and Macintosh

I am looking for some way to hook up a Mac to an IBM AS-400 3270 machine.
I want to do this with a SE/30 and thus I do not want to use a card because
of the fact that there is a 2 page monitor hooked up to it.....

I have the NCSA 3270 software for the mac already I just need to know
how to physically hook the 2 things together so they can talk.....

If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate it....

thanks

dnater@verity

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 90 09:13:27 GMT
From: PMI%FRPOLY11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Answers to 2 Telnet Qs, and frenchified tn3270

> From: nve@BDILUC01.BITNET   /   Date: 05.01.90.13:43:46
> Marc Thoelen / Limburg University Centre / Belgium

> Do you know of the existance of an AZERTY version (in comparison to a QWERTY
> keyboard) for the NCSA Telnet package for the MAC?

The current version of NCSA Telnet 2.3 works just fine with AZERTY keyboards,
but you have to tell it you are using a non-American keyboard mapping.
Presumably a bug has crept in, this wasn't true for version 2.2.  (For non-
francophones, AZERTY is the French translation of QWERTY--I presume the
same problem occurs for other national keyboards.)

A work-around for the problem:  After you launch Telnet 2.3, select the
Control Panel/Tableau de Bord desk accessory WITH THE OPTION KEY DEPRESSED
if you are using multifinder  (which causes the desk accessory to be loaded
into the Telnet memory partition, so you will need to give Telnet a little
more memory than the usual multifinder minimum).  When you then bring up the
keyboard panel, neither keyboard will be selected.  Select the french
keyboard (which has a neat Eiffel tower icon in the latest French systems),
and voila!, Telnet works with the AZERTY keyboard.  This doesn't happen
under multifinder if you bring up the desk accesory in the usual way
(i.e., without the option key).  I don't know about non-multifinder operation.
An FKEY was recently posted which more quickly switches between keyboards--I
haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if Telnet catches its selections.

> Is the package also available for the Mac II big screen instead of the Mac SE
> kind of screen?

If you mean defining vt100 windows bigger than 24x80, Telnet 2.3 does this,
windows longer then 24 lines being a new feature of 2.3, the documentation
explains how.  Of course, the host computer must know about the bigger
window and be able to use it (see "stty" on (some) unix systems).  If you
mean 24x80 but with bigger characters, I think you can use Font/DA Mover
and replace Telnet's screen font with whatever you want.

ALSO,
       While on the subject of le clavier francais, I have a slightly
modified version of tn3270 2.3 which is a better Mac emulation of French IBM
3270 terminals.  It consists of 2 alternative keyboard mappings for all the
control sequences corresponding to me original mappings, some modified
fonts to match the wierd IBM mapping used where I am (braces {} becoming
accented e's, at sign @ becoming accented a, etc.), and documentation (in
English, though!).  It is far from perfect:  no escaped entries such as
umlaut'ed and caret'ed letters; Copy doesn't correctly translate accented
characters; etc. And you have to know how to use ResEdit to install it.
But if anyone wants what I've done, send me a message.

Darrell Skinner / PMIDS@FRPOLY11.BITNET / Ecole Polytechnique / France

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 17:13 CST
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple MacPLus upgrade kit or MacRescue (if same price)

I was wondering if someone could clarify whether there is an advantage to
having the MacPlus logic board over the 512Ke board.  As far as I am aware the
512Ke (upgrade to 800K internal and new ROMs) has the same ROMs as a MacPlus.
So what is major difference between the logic boards - the connections to SIMM
memory as opposed to standard RAM memory,the new type connections (8-pin
circular), and most importantly the SCSI connection.  If I were to get the
MacRescue kit which piggybacks SIMM memory and provides a SCSI connector would
it be functionally the same as a MacPlus?  The ROMs are the most important
factor, right?

Bill Bryson
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1990 20:42:59 CST
From: "John B. Geis" <GEISJBJ%UREGINA1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BenchMark Labs???

     I received an offer today from BenchMark Labs, Inc. in Fort Lauderdale
Florida.  They are offering 80ns 1MegByte SIMMS for the Mac Plus through IIci
for $84.95/Meg.  So far, this is the best deal I have yet come across for
expanding my SE to 4 Megs.  However, I thought it would be best to get the
opinion of the public first.  Anybody used this company before? If you have
used them, did they do?  Were the chips reliable, and everything that they
should have been?  Please mail me any information that you might have on
this.
     Also, as I am in Canada, does anyone have any advice or warnings about
ordering through the mail from the U.S.  BenchMark uses UPS to ship, and I
already checked with them to ensure that their insurance covers orders to
Canada.  Is there anything else I should be aware of?
     For those who are interested, the address for BenchMark is:
6278 N. Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33308 / (305)771-9759
                                                           (800)628-4RAM

                                       John B. Geis<GEISJBJ@UREGINA1>
                                       Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Acknowledge-To: <GEISJBJ@UREGINA1>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 10:05:59 PST
From: GLEN%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu  (Glen Shiery)
Subject: Faulty Mac Hard Drives

MacWeek 5 December 1989 has an article about how the Australian's
plan to make Apple replace it's faulty hard drives.  Apple has
released a free utility program called "About HD" that can tell
the user if he has a problem drive or not.  Unfortunately that
utility is available only to technicians and authorized apple
dealers in the U.S..  Is it possible for someone (like John
Rotenstein in Australia :) to make "About HD" available in our
archives or to send a copy of it to someone that can make it
available on the internet?

Glen Shiery
Glen@Calstate.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 12:41:00 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Hard Drives

We are setting up an Appletalk network here and we're looking for a large
(80+) hard drive to attach to a file server. It has to be cheap and quiet
(speed is less important). Does anyone have any experience with any of the
following? (1) Atasi Technology 128meg MacServer ($799). (2) Hard Drives
International's PowerDrive 80 ($599). (3) Mirror M80 ($727).

The Atasi price looks remarkable. Their ad is in the Feb MacUser, p.45 of
the Buyer's Guide Hard Disk survey article. They say they've been "a leader
in PC compatible hard drives for years".

Thanks in advance for any responses (pl0balf @ tcsvm). I'll summarize.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: 11 JAN 90 11:01:41
From: P7DEA001%FRCIRP81.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Help with StuffIt please ! SOS !!

I've found many stuffit-compressed files on some ListServ servers and
I have got some of them, like nethack23e.sit for instance. But when
I run StuffIt (or unStuffIt) on these, it displays an alert box saying
that "headers are not valid", "the file may be corrupted", and I can't
uncompressed the files. I looked on the files whith Fedit, and compared
with an archive I created with Stuffit, and It seems like there's 128
bytes at the begining of the files I got from ListServ that are not on
the archive I created with StuffIt. I stripped these 128 bytes with a
little C program , and runned agian StuffIt. It worked better : Stuffit
opened a window with the list of the files compressed in the archive.
 But It wasn't yet the solution : when I tried to extract files, each of
them produced a CRC error, or even crashed the mac!!
 This is extremely strange. Why can't I recover these files ? As someone
got the same problem, or am I so stupid I forgotten something ???
 Something more : I have BinHex4.0, and on the ".HQX" files I got through
the net it works perfectly (I got UnstuffIt this way!)
                                          Desperatly,
                                               Martin.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 89 22:09:41 +0800 (PST)
From: root <caladan!root@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Hermes BBS

Here is Hermes, a new BBS from Frank Price of AOC software (author of
Dawn(tm)).

Hermes has pretty good sysop admin facilities, ansi graphics etc.  All
in all it's a richly functional BBS (much Much MUCH easier to maintain
than RR Host!!).

For more info and how to contact the author refer to the docs.

--
Stuart Burden
root@caladan.uucp

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/hermes-bbs-part1.hqx; 155K
             /info-mac/comm/hermes-bbs-part2.hqx; 155K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 10:54 EST
From: <COLEMAN%UMBSKY.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How do you beat Broderbund's copy protection?

Hi,

     Does anyone know of a cheap and easy way to circumvent the copy
protection scheme that Broderbund employs for its software? (please
direct flames to your favorite null device) I received something for
Christmas which doesn't work on my IIci. I took it to work one day
and it works fine on every other Mac II family machine.

     I called Broderbund and after a lengthy discussion and some checking
with "the guys", I was told that it's a problem that they're aware of and
isn't likely to be fixed in the forseeable future (0 - 4 months). The
program itself is fine, it's the copy protection scheme which refuses to
work correctly on the IIci. When I insert the master disk (after it asks
for it) it ejects the disk and then repeats the request for the master
disk to be inserted. This process can be repeated forever...

     I've heard that Hard Disk Util V3 from FWB Software Inc can remedy
this problem by applying a patch to the program but to be perfectly honest,
I don't feel like spending $150 for a utility to patch something I got for
free. If I had several programs which could make use of the utility (it can
patch over 200 different programs), I'd consider it. But one? No way!

     Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Steve Coleman
Computing Services
University of Massachusetts at Boston
Harbor Campus
Boston Mass 02125
Phone: (617) 929-7837  (until 12-JAN-1990 18:00:00)
       (617) 287-5223  (after 12-JAN-1990 22:00:00)
Bitnet: COLEMAN@UMBSKY.BITNET  (preferred)
Inet:   coleman%umbsky.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
        coleman%hub.umb.edu@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jan 90 08:13:00 EDT
From: "MCLELLAN, MARK R" <mclellan@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
Subject: IBM DisplayWrite 3.0 convert to Word 4.0 (Help Anyone)

I'm installing a Mac network in an IBM shop and need to convert
displaywrite3 documents to something reasonable in Word.
Can anyone give me suggestions! (Please hurry!)

Many Thanks.
Mark McLellan
Internet:   McLellan@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 10:07:48 EST
From: Ellen_Lorang@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: MacInHebrew Desk Accessory

I use the MacInHebrew Desk Accessory, version 2 on my Mac Plus with no
problems.  My friend with her SE can't seem to get it to work properly.
Specifically, on the Plus you put capslock down and it types with the
Hebrew fonts, but on the SE you have to hold down Option to get the
characters to appear.  Has anybody experienced this?  Has anyone heard
of a more recent version that works on the SE?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 10:48:26 PST
From: SUNDAR_PRASAD@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: MacIPv4.0 for MacTCP

Hello all,
We just installed MacTCP on our MacIIx running 6.0.3. When we use Stanford's
MacIP (the MacTCP version) for file transfers, we get a peculiar problem.
If say 4 files are FTPed from a remote host, the first 3 files come in ok, but
the last file does not show up on the Hard Disk window. Instead there is a file
called FTP3.TMP sitting there and Get Info says that it is 0K long. However
when FTP3.TMP is dragged to trash, the Hard Disk window closed and then opened
again, the last file's icon shows up. This has happened on 2 other MacIIs and
one of them has only 2 INITs (Public Folder and Pyro). Have other MacIP v4.0
users noticed the same thing ?
Also, I am hoping to get some info on a DA called Smart Art which sends a
PostScript file to the LaserWriter and returns the corresponding PICT file to
the Mac. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sundar_Prasad@mtsg.ubc.ca
userffa3@ubcmtsg.BITNET
Civil Engineering, UBC
Vancouver, CANADA.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 13:51:54 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Mac Typewriter Software?

Does anyone know of software which will make the combination of a Mac
and an Imagewriter I or II act like an old-fashioned electronic
typewriter, for use in filling out preprinted forms and other
old-fashioned typewriter-style applications?

A. E. Siegman, Stanford University
Internet:  Siegman@sierra.stanford.edu
Bitnet:    rw.aap@forsythe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 15:34:46 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: MiniWriter DA 1.6

Here is the latest version of the miniWriter DA.

miniWRITER is a text-editing desk accessory with the following
features:

o You can use all standard Macintosh features, including Undo.
o You can choose the font the text is displayed and printed in.
o miniWRITER can print your document on an ImageWriter exactly as
it appears on the screen  even at draft speed.
o miniWRITER can send a file to a LaserWriter as PostScript
commands.
o miniWRITER can automatically use the smart quotes used by
typographers.
o miniWRITER tells you how many lines, words, and characters are
in your document.
o Opens and saves TEXT files compatible with any word processor.

miniWRITER* is a shareware product ($12) by David Dunham of
Maitreya Design

[Archived as /info-mac/da/miniwriter-16.hqx; 91K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 12:31:39 CST
From: Michael Hanrahan <C09615MH%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mouse Event Problems

Hi there,
    I'm curious to see whether other SE/30 users or 6.03/6.04 users
have the following problems.  It seems that there is a bug in the
system routines which detect and/or process mouse-related events.
I've seen all of the following symptoms:

   Click (once) on the arrow in a scroll bar and the Mac continues
     scrolling (as if you were holding the mouse button down on the
     arrow) until you move the mouse.

   Select an item from a menu (a mouse down event and a mouse up event)
     and the Mac freezes with the menu down and the item still hilighted
     until you move the mouse.

   Click (once) on a button and nothing happens until the mouse is
     moved.

Anyone see a pattern here?  :-)    We have some inits for Pyro!, TOPS,
TOPS Spool, and Beep Shuffle run at startup but they aren't involved
at a level which should distort the processing of mouse events.

Please no flames about sending "bug reports" off the top of my head.
We've seen this problem since the day we got the SE/30 last summer.
I have an SE at home with 6.03 and haven't seen this phenomena.

                                Michael Hanrahan
                                Educational Computing Services
                                Campus Box 1221
                                Washington University
                                St. Louis, MO  63130

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 14:00:58 EST
From: RGRE%MTUS5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Networking question

I am looking for some suggestions or insights for a networking project I'm
working on.  Our Publications/Photo Services department would like to have
their various hardware communicate with each other, mostly for file transfers.

The type of equipment involved includes: three Mac SEs, a Zenith PC, two
IBM PS2/70s, two okidata printers, a laser printer, and a Compugraphic
Intergrator which serves as a front-end to a MCS 8400 Typsetter.

Currently, these machines (excluding the Macs) are on-line with a UNISYS
mainframe and communication is acheived through upoloading and downloading
files through the mainframe.

My goal is to network these various machines together directly and eliminate
the requirement of going through the mainframe.  Can anyone give me any
helpful suggestions of what hardware and/or software might work best in this
type of configuration?  Any insight on systems that I should avoid would also
be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 09:12:00 EST
From: Matthew Quagliana <QUAG%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PostScript/Word Question

I've been playing with using PostScript in MS Word 4.0 and
have run into a snag.

>From reading in MacUser (September 1989, p245) I've found
that:

             .para. .9 setgray wp$box fill

Will place a grey screen behind the next paragraph. (These PS
command should first be set in the PostScript style).

My problem is that when the paragraph in question falls on
a pagebreak, the continuation on the next page is not
screened.

Does anyone know how to make this PS command "flow" onto
the next page?

(Yes, I realize that I could format the paragraph as
 "Keep Lines Together" but I would like to find a more
 elegant solution.)

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Quagliana

BITNET:     quag@brownvm
INTERNET:   quag@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat Dec 30 10:14:13 1989
From: hplabs!alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro)
Subject: Readme for uupc v2.0 (unofficial) for LSC v4.0

As requested here is my unofficial version of uupc for Mac-OS (v2.0).

The distribution is made in the form of a configured hierarchy, it
will run from this hierarchy from floppy or hard disk. To run from
floppy, you might like to backup and remove the sources in :usr:src.

MOTE:
 The distribution is done in 2 parts, binary and source. The source
 is distributed as a stuffit heirarchy rooted in :usr:src.
 The binary is a heirarchy rooted in :usr (minus :usr:src).

You will need to change 2 files to configure this release
1) :usr:bin:profile
2) :usr:lib:uucp:config:systems

The profile file may be edited with resedit, it contains STR resources
that are used to override the defaults in the code. The profile comes set up
for username "user" and hostname "host". After changing the username you
will want to rename the folder :usr:home:user to reflect that change.
You will probably also want to edit the "signature" file in your new home
directory to remove the "smart-alec" message contained there (wonder if I'll
catch anyone!!). The fields within profile that you'll want to change are;

	NODENAME (put in the name of your machine - be inventive)
	MAILSERVICE (the name of the host that will be your backbone)
	HOME (the name of your home directory)
	DOMAIN (your nodename.uucp (probably))
	NAME (your full name for outgoing mail)
	MAILBOX (what you would like your mailbox to called)

the systems file is a text editable file that contains instructions
for uupc to login to the remote host that you will need to dial for
mail/file transfers etc. I have included some examples that you might
like to edit for your requirements (change the hostname, phone number,
login name etc.).

If you want to run uupc and/or pcmail from the LSC project
(say for debugging) be sure to copy the profile file into the same
folder as the project files since the application's home is the folder that
it is started from and profile will not be found otherwise.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/uupc-20.hqx; 113K
             /info-mac/comm/uupc-20-source.hqx; 172K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 19:46:48 EST
From: ffdixon@aries5.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Dixon)
Subject: RRH extensions

This post is for a friend whose mail system won't reach Info-Mac.

   ----
   I am looking for extensions to Red Ryder Host.  I know there are
   extensions available on the GEnie Freesoft Roundtable, but
   the long distance charges to Canada are prohibitively expensive.
   My question is are these extensions available elsewhere?

   Trevor Sawler
   University of New Brunswick
   ----

Fred Dixon ( ffdixon@aries5.UWaterloo.ca )    <-- Send replies here

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 12:13:59 EST
From: IO81129%MAINE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: ThinkC malloc limit

  I have recently writen a short ANSI C program using ThinkC 4.0 on my SE/30
  in which I use the Malloc function to dynamically allocate some hefty chunks
  of memory to use for array storage.  By large I mean 2d arrays in the range
  300X300 to 1000X1000.   The program compiles fine and I create my application
  and then run it.  Any time I try to allocate more than (181 by 181 ) i.e. 32k
  of integer storage, I get the error return code which won't let me get the m
  memory.   Have I encontered  a limitation of THINKC or the OS or my technique
.
  Are there any ways to get around this?   I do not know how to use the Mac Too
lbox so I am currently stuck!

  Thanks for any help,
  Mark Rousseau
  Dept of Physics  University of Maine Orono

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 14:46 CST
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Which hard drive would you buy for your Mac?

I am trying to determine what would be a good hard drive to buy for use with my
Mac512Ke that I plan to buy the MacRescue upgrade for?  I want the drive to
have an excellent performance so that it will perform optimally for any newer
Mac that I might purchase in the future.  Also info on MacRescue would be
appreciated as well.

These are the drives that seem to be the contenders based on info from MacUser.
I would like to be leaning to Jasmine but have heard some bad stuff about their
service.  Mirror and Microtech would seem to be almost identical in
performance.  The Ultradrive "S" series seems to be the latest "techno" stuff.
I would appreciate any comments on these drives based on personal experience or
otherwise.  It would be best to direct lengthy replies back to me at my bitnet
address: CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.  I will summarize any findings back to INFO-MAC at
a later date.

Company                 Price           Speed           Mechanism

GCC UltraDrive 40s      $799.00         19ms/??         Quantum Prodrive 40S
GCC UltraDrive 45       $699.00         28ms/39.9sec    Seagate ST138N-1
Jasmine DirectDrive40   $599.00         19ms/30.1sec    Quantum Prodrive 40S
MicroTech Nova40        $649.00         19ms/30.7sec    Quantum Prodrive 40S
Mirror MP40             $597.00         19ms/30.7sec    Quantum Prodrive 40S

Jasmine DirectDrive80   $849.00         19ms/29.2sec    Quantum Prodrive 80S
MicroTech Nova80        $1019.00        19ms/29.8sec    Quantum Prodrive 80S
Mirror MP80             $897.00         19ms/29.7sec    Quantum Prodrive 80S
MacLand Quantum80       $849.00         19ms/29.6sec    Quantum Prodrive 40S

Here is what each company has to offer:

GCC Ultradrive "S" series uses a disk cache and an interleave of 1:1 regardless
of the type of Mac used.  Their drives come with GCC software (GCC Disk
manager, QuickSpool) and SUM II.  The S series seems to be intriguing but is
worth the cost?  The non-"S" series seems rather ordinary.

Jasmine seems to provide the best drive, at the best price and with the most
software.  But how?   Why does Microtech's 80 megabyte drive "jump" in price as
compared to Jasmine's DirectDrive80 when they are essentially the same?  So
what is the negative?  Well, I have heard some pretty bad "tales" from users
that Jasmine service is pretty bad.  Is this true?  Does it matter?  Are
Jasmine drives so well built that bad service is not a major factor?  Is the
supposedly bad service because Jasmine is having difficulty meeting the demand
for their drives?

Microtech offers very similar drives to Jasmine with a 5-year warranty but with
less software and a higher price (especially for the 80MB).

MacLand Quantum80 is the same price as the Jasmine DirectDrive 80 without
half the software.  Comes in a "generic" case.

Final observation/question:

Does anyone have experience with the ATASI 128MB Server advertised in MacUser
for $799?  Looks kinda of fat so it is definitely not an under-the-Mac drive.
What kind of Mechanism does it have?  It seems to mean that the Quantum nnS
mechanisms are being used in the best drives?

Bill Bryson
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.BITNET

End of Info-Mac Digest