Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (01/20/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 19 Jan 90       Volume 8 : Issue  12

Today's Topics:
                   "Color Pict display source code"
                   A Few cdev Programming Questions
                   Anyone seen a HD backup to VCR?
                          Banner Maker 1.2.2
          HyperCard on AppleShare and NetWare for Macintosh
                        Inside mac text files
                 Language Systems FORTRAN Version 2.0
                         Large screen for SE
          Looking for information on "The Guernica Project"
                          MacDraw II Problem
                        Macintosh II Tour Disk
                          NEWHANDLE HANGS!!!
                           PIT file format
                        Printers on Ethertalk
                       Programming for the Mac.
                           Remote keyboard
                              RTF format
                   Security for individual folders?
                              United 2.0

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 10:05:40 EST
From: "Richard S. Crane" <CRANER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: "Color Pict display source code"

Can anyone point me to sample code, e.g, to PictViewer?  C pr Pascal is okay.
This is for someone not on the nets, so pls reply directly to me and I'll
forward.

Thanks,

Richard Crane
CRANER@YALEVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 16:23:46 PST
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: A Few cdev Programming Questions

I have a couple of cdev programming questions.

I have both a changable static text item and an editable text item in my DITL.
According to Inside Mac, I simply call GetDItem to turn the item number into a
handle and give that to SetIText which will change the text and draw the item.
Well, it appears that I can change the text but it won't redraw the item until
I force an update event (I'm using InvalRect to do that but I want the update
to happen immediately).  Also, I am interested in centering my static item,
and since TextEdit is supposedly being used, I should be able to except that I
don't have a TEHandle.  The Dialog Manager hides that somewhere if it is
created at all. As for the edit item, I am using SetIText to initialize it and
GetIText to read it, but I am unsure what I have to do in between.  My
understanding is that I shouldn't have to do anything special to manage the
edit item, however the behavior seems quite a bit different than the edit item
in the Map cdev, for example.  Finally, where is the font information about
these items stored?  ResEdit lets you set the font and size of text items in a
DITL but I don't see where they are stored or if they are global to all text
items in the DITl or what.  IM5 hints at some of this, but I think it is
unclear since I have no dctb or ictb resources.

Also, the Control Panel section of IM-V says that the 'mach' resource compares
the Softmask with the global ROM85 and the Hardmask with the global HwCfgFlgs.
Well, ROM85 is listed but only two bit patterns are defined in IM-IV.  I can't
find any definition of HwCfgFlgs anywhere; and I have looked.  If anyone knows
the definitions of these two bit packets, I would appreciate learning.

Finally, IM-V also says "you must find Quickdraw globals by means of thePort
if you need to reference them."  I want to use Random, so I need to have A5
set up properly to point at these, but I am unsure how to proceed.  Any clues?

Feel free to email me or the net as I'm sure there are lots of folks
interested.

Jon

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nmfecc.gov
    M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
     F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94550
        C                         (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 13:10 PST
From: MDIEHR@hmcvax.claremont.edu
Subject: Anyone seen a HD backup to VCR?

In several PC magazines I have seen advertised devices that connect your
computer to a standard home VCR and allow you to back up your hard disk on
standard VHS tape.  Cost is only around $199!.  Has anyone seen a similar
product for the MAC?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 90 09:46:19 PST
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Banner Maker 1.2.2

As usual, just as soon as you post something a new version comes
along.  Here is version 1.2.2 of Banner which prints awesome
banners on the Imagewriter (or whatever) with Adobe Type Manager.
Using ATM gives you excellent quality letters even at point
sizes of 240 and 480.  This version has a bunch of bug fixes.

Jon

[Archived as /info-mac/app/banner-maker-122.hqx; 100K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 17:18:30 EST
From: Andrew Gilmartin <ANDREW%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard on AppleShare and NetWare for Macintosh

HyperCard for Macintosh installation and sharing

Installation

Server requirements

Total disk spaced need to a minimum HyperCard environment is 1019K.
Required files are;

*   HyperCard 1.2.2 (392K)

*   Home (30K)

*   Help (597K)

For more information on workstation requirements see "Getting Ready" in
HyperCard User's Guide.

Workstation requirements

*   Macintosh Plus (or later)

*   Minimun of 1Mb of RAM

*   System 4.1 and Finder 5.5. CIS recommends that you use at least
    System 6.0.4 and Finder 6.1.4 where possible.

For more information on workstation requirements see "Getting Ready" in
HyperCard User's Guide.

Installing the application

HyperCard can be concurrently used. The HyperCard application does not,
however, come with the shared attribute set. To set the shared attribute
use the Macintosh application ResEdit. For information on using ResEdit
to set the shared bit see "Using ResEdit" in this guide. The group
Everyone should have Search, Open, and Read rights to the HyperCard
folder. Use the Novell's DOS command grant to set these attributes. For
example,

     grants s o r for <hypercard folder> to everyone

where <hypercard folder> is the name of the HyperCard folder.

The Home stack acts much like a configuration file, maintaining
information about the user, the level of expertise, and where HyperCard
should look for other stacks. As this information can change HyperCard
tries to write to this stack oblivious of access privileges. The file
server will not allow the write returning error code -5000 to HyperCard.
HyperCard does not know how to handle this error so presents the user
with an error dialog box with a Cancel button. Clicking the Cancel
button will either quit HyperCard or again present the same dialog box.
If the latter happens the only way back to the Finder is either to
restart the Macintosh or to enter the monitor and execute the command,

     G FINDER

Once returned to the Finder restart the Macintosh. Not restarting will
likely cause problems later on.

Preventing problems with the Home stack is simply a matter of checking
the Can't modify stack option in the Protect Stack... dialog box.
HyperCard will abide by internal protections but not always external
ones. As a general rule for all stacks that should not be modified by a
user check the Can't modify stack option.

Most users with not attempt to modify the Home stack's protection.
Should an attempt be made the user will be presented with the same error
dialog mentioned before. The Departmental Network Administrator can take
further precautions but this does require some familiarity with
HyperCard's scripting language HyperTalk.

Placing the HyperTalk message handler in the Home stack's script will
prevent the majority of users from causing themselves problems.

     on doMenu which
         if which is "Protect Stack..." and ~
              the sort name of this stack is "Home" then
              answer "Can't change the Home stack's protection."
         else
              pass doMenu
         end if
     end doMenu

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 90 22:13:56 GMT
From: eahill@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Edward Hill)
Subject: Inside mac text files

Hello,

   Does anyone know where I can get a detailed (semi-detailed, whatever...)
   text file that contains much of the information that is covered in
   the inside mac manuals.  I normal text file would be great, but I
   could deal with text that is used in association with another program
   such as the inside mac D.A.  I would like to find something like
   this on an archive somewhere so I can port it quickly to my machine.

-Ed Hill

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 90 10:04:00 EDT
From: "J. SCOTT WEAVER" <fweaver@bigvax.alfred.edu>
Subject: Language Systems FORTRAN Version 2.0

Language Systems has been advertising Version 2.0 of their FORTRAN compiler
for MPW.  Has anyone seen it?  Will there be an upgrade path from the
earlier versions?  It is a good product, but the price is getting a bit
steep.

J. Scott Weaver

Internet:  fweaver@bigvax.alfred.edu    [192.31.254.1]
Bitnet:    fweaver@ceramics

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 14:49:14 EST
From: Clare Durst <CCD%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Large screen for SE

I've been looking for a large screen monitor for an SE.  Radius, obviously.
Nutmeg, and then the new Ehman.  That one is lots cheaper than the others
- but has anyone tried it?  How good is it to stare at for hours?  I
mostly need it for desktop publishing - several hundred pages a year on
a 9 inch screen gets a little old!  But we do have to watch costs.
  If I later got an SE 30 or somesuch, could the monitor be used with
it or would I have to purchase another?  Do all monitors do as the
Radius do and allow you to have the internal monitor looking at a
different screen/application while the big one is being used?
Advice, please, and  - I'll summarize to the net.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 90 15:31:47 GMT
From: bals@hyster.dec.com (My name is Legion)
Subject: Looking for information on "The Guernica Project"

I'm looking for information about a SuperCard stack entitled
"The Guernica Project." I don't know whether it's free/shareware
or commercial, nor who produced it. It's noted as a reference/testimonial
in Silicon Beach's SuperCard MacUser ad (Feb. 1990 issue. "Buyer's Guide"
Page 52). Silicon Beach -- a company that could use some improvement in
handling telephone inquiries, btw -- wasn't able to give me any information
about it.

Can anybody help with any info, or a pointer to where I might find info
about it? Thanks.

			"The only thing technology does is
                         prolong hopelessness."

-- Fred Bals (DEC Merrimack, NH)

bals@hyster.dec.com

Alternate mail addresses:

bals@hyster.enet.dec.com

UUCP:	...!decwrl!hyster.enet.dec.com!bals

ARPA:	bals%hyster.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 06:50:58 +0000
From: J.Pearce@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: MacDraw II Problem

I have been using MacDraw II 1.1v1 to draw some very simple black & white
diagrams. There seems to be an erratic problem when I join 2 perpendicular
straight lines with the arc tool.  The picture will look and print OK in
MacDraw even if you zoom in 3200 %, but when you select and copy then paste
into any other application some of the lines and arcs are out of alignment.
This misalignment is visible even if you select show clipboard inside
MacDraw. I have had email from several other people who have also noticed
this problem.

I contacted Claris and they are aware of the problem - blaming it on
differences between Quickdraw and Postscript (as I understand it the
Clipboard cannot transfer the precision of MacDraw II drawings - a precison
which I wish you could switch off for compatability purposes).  However,
they were able to suggest a way to minimise the problem - by opening the
rulers dialog and setting the divisions per inch to 72.  Apparently this
does not cure the problem, but will minimise it.  But at 72 divisions per
inch it is now necessary to zoom in several times to align every object
properly (using set view speeds this up).

This has all come as rather a disappointment to me, as I believed one of the
strengths of the Macintosh was the ease by which graphics and text could
easily be moved between applications - this is apparently not so. I also
believed that MacDraw was a well established drawing program for the Mac
and therefore would be well integrated with the Macintosh environment.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has any ideas or
solutions to this problem. In the absence of any such solution I will
have to abandon MacDraw, so I am open to recommendations for a new
drawing program.

John R. Pearce.

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Computer Science Department,
University College London,
Gower Street,
London,
WC1E 6BT,
ENGLAND.

Disclaimer : These are my personal views, and are not representive of UCL.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 09:27:05 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Macintosh II Tour Disk

Does anyone have a Macintosh II (plain II, not x, cx, ci, etc.) Tour Disk
that they could send to me?  I'm persuing this through our dealer also, but
a bunch of the Macintosh II's on campus have recently changed departments
and the new department would like to run the tour disk, but the old
department can't locate any of them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce A. Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator    = Boise State University
"It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer"=  1910 University Drive
========================================================       Boise, ID  83725
InterNet/Domain: duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu              = Office: (208) 385-1250
CREN (BITNet): duscarte@idbsu [] CompuServe: 76666,511 =    Lab: (208) 385-1859

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 08:17:34 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@rice.edu>
Subject: NEWHANDLE HANGS!!!

Yesterday I encountered one of the strangest problems yet while programming
on the Mac.
A simple code segment I wrote in C displays in a Mac window a color picture.
Each time the update event occurs, the picture is loaded, the color table
recomputed, and the screen is CopyBitted.
Seems that after a certain number of times, NewHandle hung on me. I tried
a printf before the NewHandle and it works. I tried a printf just after
NewHandle and it bombs.

The NewHandle is used as:

myCTab = (CTabHandle) NewHandle (2056L);

I have to resort to using NewPtr as:

Ptr p;
p = NewPtr (2056L);
myCTab = &p;

This works fine, so far. At least the system didn't hang.

Please, can anyone help me???

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 19:35:42 PST
From: seand@cs.uoregon.edu
Subject: PIT file format

I have been FTP'ing files from info-mac archives, and on occasion when I use
binhex to uncompress them (hqx format of course) it returns a file in PIT
format.  An example of what I am talking about it the file icon.hqx in the
utilities directory.
Does anyone know just what a PIT file is?  Is it ready to be used, or is there
further uncompressing needed to prepare it for execution?

Sean Daly
seand@cs.uoregon.edu

[It is a PackIt II file. PackIt II is obsolete, though; you can use StuffIt
 to unpack PIT files. It's an option in one of the menus. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 10:55:09 -0500
From: crowston@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Printers on Ethertalk

We're doing this in two ways.

1)  We bought a GatorBox that does (among other things) LocalTalk to
    EtherNet AppleTalk routing (that is, it takes AppleTalk packets
    from LocalTalk and resends them on the EtherNet).  We have the
    LaserWriter on LocalTalk on one side of the GatorBox and a few
    Macs on EtherNet on the other side.  To the Macs, the printers
    appear in another zone but everything works as expected.

    Total cost:  approx. $2K for the GatorBox (order of magnitude
                 estimate, accurate +/- $500; I forget exactly what
                 we payed for it and we got the academic discount).

    Note that other people make equivalent routers.  Also, for your
    $2K you get a few other benefits, like being able to Telnet from
    LocalTalked macs through the router to an EtherNet host, being
    able to use a Unix machine as an AppleShare file server (with
    extra software, either CAP (see below) on the Unix machine or
    GatorShare on the GatorBox, etc.

2)  We hardwired one LaserWriter to a Unix box (a Mac II running
    AU/X as it turns out, but it certainly didn't have to be a
    Mac).  This allows Unix users to print using ordinary Unix
    commands.  On this Unix box we run CAP (a Unix Apple Talk
    package, available free from Columbia University).  CAP
    includes a laser writer spooler that makes it look like a
    LaserWriter (on EtherNet, of course, since the Unix box
    doesn't have a LocalTalk port).  Again, to the Macs on EtherNet,
    the printer appears to be in a different zone, but printing
    seems to work as usual.  (There may be some problems because
    the Postscript preamble (i.e., LaserWriter Prep) is handled a
    bit differently by CAP and I haven't tested it with many applications,
    but Word seems to print fine.)

    Total cost:  installation time, assuming you already have a Unix
                 machine somewhere that can drive a PostScript printer.

There certainly does seem to be a niche for PostScript printers that
understand AppleTalk and could be directly attached to EtherNet, but
the above two solutions work for us.

Kevin Crowston
MIT Sloan School of Management

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 15:39:24 CST
From: David Young <DYOUNG%TRINITY.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Programming for the Mac.

Hi all,
   I  am seriously  considering  buying a  Mac IIcx.  One  of the  major
reasons for  me considering the  Mac over the IBM  PC (or clone)  is its
graphics capabilities  and eas of use.  I know that  there are a  lot of
programming languages that can  be used on the PC but  I don't know much
about  what languages  and  compilers  are available  for  the Mac.  Can
anyone give  me some  idea as  to what's  available?  Also, I understand
that Apple  provides quite a  bit of support for programmers.  How  do I
go about looking into this?  Thanks in advance.

 - David

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 09:08:58 CST
From: kjeld@crdecf.csc.ti.com
Subject: Remote keyboard

I did an experiment about a year back with the software that came with
the old Oberon OCR scanners.  If instead of the scanner, you have a
remote terminal plugged in (I had a TIPC running VT100 emulation), you
can type into the Mac as if you were local.

The ramification is that (with two mac monitors & video 'T') you can
have the same mac in two different rooms (offices).  But then again,
if you have two macs, Faralon has software to make one look local to
the other.

Kurt Christensen
KJELD@CRDECF.csc.ti.com   - T-minus 5 days and counting

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 10:35:21 EST
From: rpk@goldhill.com
Subject: RTF format

   Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 12:41 EDT
   From: <SAPER%HUXTAL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Mark A. Saper)

   Can anyone direct me to a reference describing the RTF interchange text
   format?

It's somewhere in the archives, I'm sorry but I don't know what the file
name is, exactly.  Moderator ?

   Its syntax seems very similar to TeX.

This is pretty telling.  Has anybody written a TeX macro package that can
deal with RTF ?  I bet it would be pretty simple.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 13:44 EST
From: The Blue Adept <KSBOLDUAN%AMHERST.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Security for individual folders?

I know this is one of those questions that pops up every once in a while, but I
thougt it was time for another go at it.

What is avalible out there in the free/shareware/commercial realm that allows
one to put passwords on INDIVIDUAL files or folders on a hard disk. I'm running
a IIcx, without any sort of networking, and since it is semi-public, I'd like
to be able to make it so that certain folders are inaccessible wihtout a
password.

The kludge I came up with was to make the folder(s) invisible with ResEdit, but
that gets to be a real pain. If anyone uses this kind of security program, or
knows of one, please send me the information and I will summarize for the net.

Thanks,

Kevin Bolduan '91 Amherst College
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet Address

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 90 13:24:59 -0500
From: bills@xait.xerox.com (Bill Stackhouse)
Subject: United 2.0

This the newest version of United, a program for stripping mail header
and combining multipart BINHEX files. Help is available online under the
Apple menu of United.

The changes (by request) for this release are:
- changed the order of opening files from
     combined/segment 1/segment2/...
     segment 1/combined/segment 2/...
  If you have been using United in the past,
  please notice this one.
- the ability to save the mail headers in a separate file for later reference.
  there are options for first segment only or not; accumulate all headers or
  save each separately; and the creator/file type of the file.
- the default suffix for the combined file is now .Hqx
- fixed a bug that prevented being able to cancel the process unless the last
  segment was found.
- fixed a bug that caused the program to loop if there was no BINHEX material
  in the input file.
- fixed a bug that caused a multifinder context switch when clicking on the
  initial or about screen.

Bill Stackhouse

[Archived as /info-mac/util/united-20.hqx; 51K]

End of Info-Mac Digest