Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/02/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  1 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  20

Today's Topics:
                        Cad Program wanted...
                 Casio/B.O.S.S. interface for the Mac
                     Creating S-hat with MS-Word
                      DIRectory Package 4.0 Demo
                    Ehman 19" monitor test RESULT
                    GIF picts as Desktop pictures
                   HP LaserJet IIP and network Macs
                       Kermit 3.0 under SoftPC?
                  Laser Fonts - Adobe and otherwise
                    Password(sic) for InitInfo 4.0
                        Printing from Keycaps
                       Serial line LaserWriter
                            sound formats
                               subsets
                      Suitcase II 1.2.6 updater
                        SuperCard X-refference
               System 6.0.x on HumanTouch accel board.
                           System Errors DA
                  UltraPaint:  And the verdict is...
                         Wanted: BiPlane Docs
                Yet Another Terminal Emulator Question

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 07:39:55 PST
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Cad Program wanted...

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Dear Mac Community,

>   Does anybody out there know of a good CAD program?  It doesn't matter
>whether it is Freeware/Shareware/Commercial.  Any suggestions would be
>helpful.  Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>I will summarize to the net.

I'm slightly prejudiced since it is one of our products; however, Claris
CAD has, in its first year on the market, won a number of awards for both
the software and the documentation at trade shows and conferences.  The
user interface is an extension of the MacDraw II UI and has proven both
simple to use and powerful.  It is a 2-D CAD package.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

------------------------------

Date: MON JAN 29, 1990 13.55.26 EST
From: "uni" <KS06%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu>
Subject: Casio/B.O.S.S. interface for the Mac

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Casio sf-7500 Business Organizer
Scheduling System (B.O.S.S.) and have heard that there is a way
of hooking it up to a Mac via some cable/hardware/software combination.

Has anyone had any experience with this.  If it is possible to make a
cable and use a telecommunications program (like Red Ryder 10.3), I
would rather do that then buy something for around $80.

The unit came with a same cable that looks like a stereo microjack.  It
is used to hook one unit to another to transfer data.  The unit has
data transfer software built in.

Reply to me and I'll summarize for the net.

Kevin Siddons
ks06@lehigh

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 11:13:20 CST
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Creating S-hat with MS-Word

Greg,

To make the S-hat (as well as other such caracters) you use the formula
typsetting feature of MS-WORD.

(*NOTE* In the following description, the characters ".\" are the formula
        character that is generated by pressing Cmd-Opt-Backslash and
        "/\" is the carat, since I don't have one on my terminal keyboard)

Do the following to get S-hat:

                          s.\O(.\S.\UP2(/\))

Explanation:

  .\O  is overstrike, it places the next character on top of the previous one.
  .\S  is the Super-/Subscript, this will raise/lower the argument a specific
       number of points.
  .\UP is a qualifyer for the superscript command, if the carat is not in the
       proper place, vary the value until it fits.

For more information, I refer you to pages 98-105 of the MS-Word 4.0 User's
Guide.

  "Success lies in achieving the top of the food chain."
                                         --Jubal Harshaw, 1906-

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Michael Farlow              %%%%     X098MF@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU (InterNet) %
% CSC Graphics Lab Consultant  %%%%               X098MF@TAMVM1 (BitNet) %
% Texas A&M University          %%%%                       (409)845-1365 %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 90 15:00:14 -0100
From: chb@tde.lth.se (Kristian Bjork)
Subject: DIRectory Package 4.0 Demo

DIRectory Package 4.0 Demo - an icon based disk cataloging program

Distribution of DIRectory Package 4.0 Demo is allowed on
electronic services and on disk only by non-profit macintosh
user groups. The DIRectory Package 4.0 Demo consisting of
DIRectory Demo, DIReader DA Demo, DIReader and this note
should remain "ASIS".

DIRectory Package 4.0 Demo includes

DIRectory Demo 4.0 - Demo version of the application DIRectory.
DIRectory, the main program of the package, creates and displays
catalogs, searches for files/folders/disks/disk space, prints
selective reports using icon based filter, shows standard Get Info
windows and much more.

DIReader DA Demo 4.0 - Demo version of the desk accessory
DIReader DA. Replaces Apple's original Find File with
new functions and DIRectory catalog search capability.

DIReader 4.0 - Reads DIRectory catalogs. DIReader is intended
for distribution along with DIRectory documents.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/directory-package-40-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/demo/directory-package-40-part2.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 08:08:34 PST
From: JMUELLER%PPC.MFENET@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Ehman 19" monitor test RESULT

After substantial testing of the Ehman 19" monitor for the MacII series,
it seems it is a decent monitor, especially for the price. This is the the
informal review of the gentleman who tested it. This is NOT the official
legal or political opinion of PPPL, and likewise does not present a long
term or large sample:
        I have done an evaluation of an Ehman 19" monochrome monitor. Since the
evaluation is based on only one unit, my opinions cannot be considered entirely
accurate for all Ehman 19" monochrome monitors.
        First, The unit was connected to a Mac IIcx. The installation in a IIcx
is very simple. The display didn't function when first turned on. After contact-
ing the company, they advised me there was a problem with the interface cable.
After following their instructions, the cable was connected and the display did
work.
        The display is sharp, clear and appears to be a reasonable unit for the
advertised price. There is only one adjustable control and that is for bright-
ness.The display was left on and used for a period of one week (around the
clock). There were no malfunctions.
        The only "glitch" I have noted is that it doesn't function properly
with the Moire screen saver CDEV. Instead of darkening the screen after
drawing a specified number of lines, all drawn lines remain on the display.
        Comparing the Ehman display to the Radius and Apple displays, I can
state that state that the Ehman display is not an unreasonable choice for a
substitute of the FPD's of either of the other named brands. At this point
I would not state that it is a good choice for replacing the TPDs' of Apple
or Radius without further testing and some history of reliability. We have
a good reliability record for the Apple and Radius TPDs, however only the
Radius TPD can be installed on the Mac+, SE and SE-30. The Apple TPD is only
capable of being used with the Mac II family of CPUs'.

Hmmm. I appear to be having trouble with VersatermPRO garbling the screen
printing. Hope this transmits OK.

Sincerely,
Jim Mueller
alias:
JMUELLER@PPC.MFEnet                     via MFEnet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@NMFECC.LLNL.GOV     via Internet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@LBL.Bitnet          via Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 90 09:33:00 EDT
From: "LEE, CRAIG R" <crl@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
Subject: GIF picts as Desktop pictures

Greetings and salutations,
     Is there any incantation that can be performed to prevent a GIF
picture from losing it's colors when it is saved in PICT format from
Giffer so that we may use PixelPaint and DeskPict to have it displayed
as the desktop in it's true colors?
     Thanks much,
Craig
crl@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
crl@ifasgnv

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90  15:23:47 EST
From: GPFRN@gnos.nist.gov
Subject: HP LaserJet IIP and network Macs

> From: horan@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Frederick Horan)
> Subject: Query: GCC PLP II vs HP Laserjet IIP

> I am after cheap "laser pretty" output.  The HP DeskWriter
sounded good until I
> found out that the ink is water soluble (I know they are working
on it...)
         .
         .
         .
> My questions are:
> 1. are there problems I do not know about with either printer?
> 2. are there features in one machine that shines over the other?

>  Thanks,
>  Fred Horan (horan@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu)

I have experience with the HP LaserJet IIP in a Mac environment.
So my comments will be directed to this printer.

1.You can spool output using a third part product,
SuperLaserSpool by SuperMac.  The spooling works pretty
good.

2.The IIP is a quick draw not a postscript printer.

3.The IIP and the vanilla Apple ImageWriter are not network
printers, they do not claim to be.  The IIP, however, cannot
even be used with a Mac that is attached to a network
(without re-setting the Mac's network CDEV and re-
booting).

We have a MacII attached via ethernet cabling to a 3-com
server.  We wish to use both the printer and the server at the
same time without re-booting the Mac.  Liaison by
Infosphere allowed us to do this with an Apple Laserwriter
IInt.  But it wouldn't work with the HP LaserJet IIP,
because it is not an apple talk printer.  So naturally it
wouldn't work with Liaison since Liaison is designed to
bridge two apple talk networks together.  Unfortunately the
IIP uses some apple talk protocols, so ethertalk, the protocol
used to talk to our 3-com server, could not be loaded at the
same time.

So if you have a Mac isolated from any type of network and
you are satisfied with QuickDraw printer graphics then I
suppose that the IIP would be acceptable.  Otherwise spend
the extra money and get a real printer.  You get what you pay
for.

glenn forney
NIST/CFR

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 90   13:22 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Kermit 3.0 under SoftPC?

Date: 29 January 1990, 13:17:01 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
subj: Kermit 3.0 under SoftPC?

This is driving me crazy.  We're able to get Kermit 3.0 (the new one) to run
under SoftPC--ALMOST.

The OUTGOING characters are sent fine (we've even connected to another Compaq,
just to watch the keystrokes come out).  We can see from the blinky-blinkies
on our PBX's digital data interface "where we are" in the dialing stream, so
as to make sure we're answering the prompts at the correct time...

BECAUSE WE CAN"T SEE ANYTHING ON THE SCREEN!

No incoming characters are being displayed on the screen.  Any ideas what
I've got set wrong?  We have SET DISPLAY REGULAR, etc., set TERMINAL
SCREEN-BACKGROUND NORMAL, etc. and every combination else we can think of.
This is not just a "local-echo" problem; it's the incoming characters that
aren't displayed, from sources which DO do the echoing to everything else.

The kicker is that this runs fine on our Compaq.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Ted

|    |   |Theodore Allan Morris                  |231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
|    |   |University of Cincinnati Med. Ctr.     |Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
 |__|--- |Med. Ctr. Information & Communications |513-558-6046 W, 731-3451 H
   |     |Information Research and Development   |WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
Go  |___ |=======================================|or AppleLink U1091
Bearcats!| Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'! |(you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 14:43:47 PST
From: gelphman@adobe.com (David Gelphman)
Subject: Laser Fonts - Adobe and otherwise

The original question was about why not all Laser fonts the user
has don't work with Adobe Type Manager. The answer is that only
Type 1 PostScript fonts work with ATM. The fonts the user was looking
at (which had two POST resources and the font data in the data fork
of the file) were Type 3 fonts, most likely generated with a program
like Fontographer).

Until recently, the only source of Type 1 PostScript fonts was from Adobe
Systems and Linotype. Last Spring Adobe Systems announced agreements with
Agfa-Compugraphic, Monotype, Varityper, Morisawa, and Autologic to license
our BuildFont(tm) technology which generates Type 1 fonts which work with
both Adobe Type Manager and printers with PostScript interpreters licensed
>From Adobe Systems. Other 3rd parties now ship Type 1 fonts, namely
Bitstream and the Font Company. I believe the Font Company Type 1
fonts now work with ATM and Bitstream fonts will work with the newly
announced upgrade to ATM (upgrade announcements go out this week I
believe and the upgrade will be available the first week of Feb.).

I hope this helps,
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 14:04:35 EST
From: Peter Galko <PTRPB%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Password(sic) for InitInfo 4.0

Recently I uploaded a Stuffit archive containing InitInfo 4.0 which has
appeared to some to require a password to allow for "dearchiving".  First
my apologies for uploading an archive in this format.  I had forgotten the
archive was in this form when I uploaded it; I know how iritating this sort
of thing can be. Secondly, all is not lost because there is in fact no
password.  Simply hit the return key when you are prompted for the password.

To eliminate the apparent problem without having to send another 100kbyte
file across the network, could I request the genial moderators of InfoMac
to unstuff and stuff the file without the password option apparently in effect.

By the way, this is not the only archive that has this "problem" to my
knowledge. I would strongly suggest that all of us posting these things check
that my oversight is not repeated.

Prof. Peter Galko                         E-mail: PTRPB@UOTTAWA.BITNET
Department of Electrical Engineering
Room A-509, Colonel By Hall               Telephone: (613)-564-7097
770 King Edward Avenue                    FAX:       (613)-564-6882
University of Ottawa
OTTAWA, Ontario,   CANADA
K1N 6N5

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 3:16:18 CST
From: MINICH ROBERT JOHN <minich@d.cs.okstate.edu>
Subject: Printing from Keycaps

  To get a printout of the keycaps DA screen for permanent reference, you have
to do a little trick. Get the DA looking exactly like you want to print it (with
the shift/option keys down, etc), click and hold on the title bar of the window.
Now let up on the keyboard and type the screen capture sequence (I can't
remember which is which to do (window|screen)&(printer|disk) ) while holding
the mouse button down. Now let up on the mouse button and voilla! Before the
screen can change, you have captured it.
  A neat little hack for a weird problem. Maybe Apple will fix that DA someday
and put a menu item "Lock display" or better yet "Print Keycaps..."

NOTE: This is not my trick. I can't remember the source, though, so I give no
      credit, not even my own!

DISCLAIMER: I can't afford a job so I don't offend!

		Robert Minich
		Oklahoma State University
		minich@d.cs.okstate.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 13:47:40 PST
From: Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Serial line LaserWriter

Awhile ago someone had a request for information on connecting a LaserWriter
to the serial port through a switch box. I had a similar need. I have a Mac
and a Unix box and wanted to use the printer on the Unix box from the Mac.
I didn't want to spend the money for a Kinetics box for just one Mac so I
went the route of using command-F to create a file, moving the file to Unix
and using macps to print the file. This was rather tedious.

I modified the LaserWriter driver as outlined below. The changes I made
were specifically designed to print over a serial connection from the Mac
to the Unix box, but may be useful to print to a serial connected LaserWriter.

Changes to the LaserWriter driver (version 5.2)

  1) Duplicate the file and give it a useful name.
  2) Use ResEdit (or something similar) to make the following changes:
     - to simulate the pressing of command-F
          resource PDEF number 125

             location   from      to
             --------   ----      --
              B96       '57C0'   '51C0'
              B9A       '56C0'   '50C0'
              BA2       '57C0'   '50C0'
              BAA       '57C1'   '51C1'
              BB8       '57C1'   '50C1'
       if you need the Laser Prep file (as for a serial connected printer)
       then you must simulate command-K (note: I haven't tried this). Do
       the changes above except:
              BA2       '57C0'   '51C0'
              BAA       '57C1'   '50C1'

     - the following two changes prevent the creating of a file and the
       subsequent call to _SetEOF to empty it:
          resource PDEF number 125

             location   from       to
             --------   ----       --
              D96       '554F'   '6038'
             142C       '660C'   '600C'

     - change the string in resource STR number -8159 to something more
       useful than "Creating PostScript File" (e.g. I used "Sending print
       job to NeXT").

     - set resource STR number -8191 to the name of the serial port you
       will use. ".BOut" for the printer port or ".AOut" for the modem port.

  A couple of notes: the default settings for the serial ports are 9600 baud
  no parity. So far this has worked fine but I may try changing the speed.
  When you choose the driver with the Chooser, it will turn on AppleTalk. If
  you are using the printer port then you *must* turn AppleTalk back off
  before using the modified driver.

  On the Unix end: I modified macps to "break" instead of "continue" when
  it finds the string "%%EOF" and then the command
       macps < /dev/ttyb | lpr
  can be installed in a deamon that loops forever (modify /dev/ttyb to use
  whatever serial port on your Unix box you connected the Mac to).

I hope someone finds this useful.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 17:25:26 EST
From: russo@pitbull.nrl.navy.mil (Kevin Russo)
Subject: sound formats

What is the format of the sound files in the info-mac archives?
I'd like to write some sound editing/processing applications for other
computers that have D/A capabilities (mac already has several nice ones).

Are the samples signed char?  Is the sampling rate stored in some kind
of header?  Please send more details and I'll summarize.

Thanks, Kevin Russo

	russo@pitbull.nrl.navy.mil
	Naval Research Laboratory
	Washington, DC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 14:30:04 EST
From: JQUIGGIN%UMDD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: subsets

Can anybody tell me how to get subset symbols in the Symbol font (or some other
LW font).  Using Key Caps you can only get the superset symbol, but  I've seen

references to a way of doing subsets.  Ideally I'd like both the subset and

proper subset symbols

Best wishes

JOHN Q

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 90 11:57:14 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez)
Subject: Suitcase II 1.2.6 updater

This is the latest updater program for Suitcase II.  It will update
versions 1.2 through 1.2.5 to 1.2.6.  Fixes include:  problems when
over 624 fonts are installed, programs that call GetMenu multiple
times on a font menu, internal change so that it will be compatible
with any new system software from Apple and difficulties with the
Inside Mac DA.  Changes to 1.2.5 include problems with the apple menu
and the modifier key, and supposedly fixed problems with Adobe Type
Manager.  1.2.3 fixed problems with sound files and with TOPS networks.
1.2.2 fixed problems with PostScript fonts. 1.2.1 fixed problems with
Multifinder.  Downloaded from GEnie.  Use Stuffit 1.5.1 to Decode the
BinHex-ed material and to UnstuffIt (decompress).  Enjoy...  Willi

[Archived as /info-mac/util/suitcase-ii-126-updater.hqx; 51K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 21:23 EST
From: V131JTVH@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: SuperCard X-refference

I have taken on the responsibility of creating internal documentation for a
very large SuperCard project.  I need a utility that would cross-refference
the Handlers with Variable names and vise versa.  Maybe even Variable names,
Handlers and Project Objects all in one.

If anyone has any idea about this type of program, please drop me a line asap.
Any information would be helpfull.  It would save me countless hours of work.

Thanks in advance,

Richard L. Casale
SUNY at Buffalo
BITNET: v131jtvh@ubvmsa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 14:39 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: System 6.0.x on HumanTouch accel board.

Greetings,

Some of you may remember about a year ago, whenever System 6.0 came out, I
wrote concerning a problem I was having getting System 6.0.x to boot on my Mac.
I have a Mac 512 with the 800K drive upgrade, and a Human Touch RAM/accelerator
card (2MB total RAM).

Well, I never have been able to boot 6.0.x but i've continued to play around
with it.  One BIG problem is that although MacsBugs loads and works, the boot
process stops before the keyboard driver is loaded (I guess) because when I go
into Macsbugs I can't type any commands.  Using the handy "FirstTime" macro
feature of macsbugs, I have been able to determine that the mac is getting
stuck in a loop at the same spot everytime.  A memory dump and subsequent
hunting with ResEdit through the INITs, ptchs and PTCHs of the new system
reveal that I am getting stuck in PTCH 117.

[The actual behavior is the Mac starts to boot.  Welcome to Macintosh. Macsbugs
loaded. The boot disk stops spinning, and nothing else happens.  Upon hitting
the interrupt switch I find the program looping around AD70 (address may be
wrong, I left the paper home.)  What's happening here is $30 is being put into
D0, then a DBF $0000,D0 is looping until D0 is 0, then it RTSs somewhere and
comes right back to here.]

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know what PTCH 117 does? Does a MacPlus need it?

2) Does anyone know a work around?

3) Does anyone know what the jumpers on the Human Touch board do?

4) Does anyone want to buy a nice, used Accelerator Card.  It is faster than a
Plus, and it's nice to have 2MB, but I really need 6.0.x with Plus and Excel
(and other apps?) expecting it.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.  Please respond directly, so as not to
clog up the mailboxes of the hundreds of subscribers who could care less about
this problem.

Thanks again.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 90 12:30:59 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez)
Subject: System Errors DA

This is the latest version of the System Errors Desk Accessory 2.5.
Want to know what that ID=# really means when you get a system bomb??
Downloaded from GEnie, use Stuffit 1.5.1 to decode the BinHex-ed
material and to Unstuff (decompress).  Install with Font/DA Mover 3.8
or with alternatives (Suitcase II, Juggler).  Enjoy!  Willi

[Archived as /info-mac/da/system-errors-25.hqx; 25K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29-Jan-1990 12:20:21.11 CST
From: <rcd2403%tamchem.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (R. C. Davis)
Subject: UltraPaint:  And the verdict is...

>>Date:      Thu, 28-Dec-1989 11:39:24.57 CST
>>From:      <rcd2403@tamchem.bitnet> (R. C. Davis)
>>Subject:   SuperPaint vs. UltraPaint:  Comments please...
>>X-also to: info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
>>
>>Season's Greetings!
>>
>>In the Jan. '90 issue of MacUser, Deneba Systems (makers of Canvas) made an
>>incredible offer.  Their UltraPaint program is available for $50 with a
>>SuperPaint 1.1 Master disk.  To upgrade to SuperPaint 2.0, Silicon Beach
>>Software requires $50 plus v1.1 master disk.  Looking at information in the ad
>>for UltraPaint, I'm very tempted to buy it.
>>
>>But before I jump into this purchase, I thought it would be good to get some
>>critical comments from users.  If there has been discussion on this software
>>package, please direct me to the appropriate issues of the digest.  If not, I
>>would appreciate if you would send your comments to me, and I'll post a
>>summary to the list.  The main issues of concern to me are compatibility (I
>>have a Mac Plus with a switchable 68020 accelerator board and an ImageWriter
>>II with color ribbon), memory requirements, customer support, and
>>bugs/incompatibility with other software (apps, DAs, "print" drivers).  Thanks
>>for your help.
>>

>>Ricardo Davis

>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 10:24 EST
>From: YOUNG%RCSDY%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET
>Subject: ultrapaint
>To: RCD2403%chemvx.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
>
>what did you find out?
>YOUNG@GMR.COM

No one has responded to me directly as of yet, unfortunately.  I haven't kept
up with the Digest diligently since I'm currently in the throes of thesis
shock.

I resending this request to the IM Digest ... maybe everybody was gone over
the holidays and didn't see it.  As usual, please reply directly and I'll
summarize the responses and send them to the Digest.

Ricardo Davis

P.S.  If there have been any reviews on the two software packages in the Mac
trade mags, please point them out to me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 11:17:18 EST
From: traveler@think.com
Subject: Wanted: BiPlane Docs

Can anyone point me towards a copy of the docs for
the shareware spreadsheet program BiPlane? Or, better
yet, does anyone know the new address of the author
of the program (he seems to have moved), so I can
send in the fee and get the docs that way?

A day-care center for the elderly needs a cheap
spreadsheet solution, and I can probably convince
them that Macs are the way to go if I can find the
documentation for this program. Any advice or pointers
would be greatly appreciated, both by me and by them.

         "The Traveller"         \ | /
________William R. Swanson________\|/_
       Traveler @ Think.COM       /|\
      (617)  876-1111  x2065     / | \

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 10:24:10 EST
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Yet Another Terminal Emulator Question

Does anyone know which terminal emulator packages would do a decent job of
emulating an ATT 4410 terminal.  Even better, has somebody got a Kermit
configuration file that maps all the FKeys so I could just use Kermit to
do the job?  We have a UNIX-Based database application that is all nicely
set up for a 4410, and we'd have to fudge around with stuff to make it
work with a VT100 emulator.

End of Info-Mac Digest