Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/03/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  2 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  21

Today's Topics:
                          Banner Maker 1.2.2
                Canvas 2.1 upgrade has INIT conflicts
                   External hard disk won't boot?!?
                    GRIPS CD-ROM with NASA photos.
              How can I determine the total memory size?
                       Info-mac Question (fwd)
                        Listserv-Punch format
                           LOCALTALK PUZZLE
                     LOCALTALK TO VAX CONNECTION
                        Math Equation Editors
                           MultiXfer 0.4a1
                              NeXT woes?
                        Office Software Needed
                          Printer Driver...
                        Remapping the keyboard
                        Resource Fork Troubles
                            Retouch Docs.
                Serial Communications Controller (SCC)
                            Startup Colors
                           Virus Rx - v1.6
                             White Knight

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 09:30:14 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Banner Maker 1.2.2

I recently downloaded Banner Maker 1.2.2 and am enthusiastic about it--
generally.  It works with Adobe Type Manager to produce large-size
smoothed letters.  However I can't get the largest size (480 points)
to work right on my Macs.  On one plus connected to an ImageWriter I
I get smoothed lower-case letters but jagged upper-case ones.  The
caps are smoothed on the screen by ATM, no problem--but when printed
they come out jagged.

On my other Plus, connected to a Hewlett-Packard DeskWriter, all the
letters come out jagged in 480 points, even though they are all
smoothed on the screen.  The 120 point and 240 point options work the
way they are supposed to.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?  I've tried to contact
Jeffrey Backes via his CompuServe E-Mail account (he's the author of
the program), but so far no reply.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 JAN 90 11:24:10 PDT
From: <MICRO2.KLOPP@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Canvas 2.1 upgrade has INIT conflicts

Greetings

I just received my Deneba Canvas 2.1 upgrade.  It's not quite ready for prime
time.  It has problems with Claris' Public Folder 1.0 and Symantec's LaserSpeed
1.7 INITs on my 1Mb Mac +.  You can't even get to the dialog box for entering
your serial number without bombing (No ID #).  These problems would be enough
to scare away most casual Mac users.  I got around the Public Folder conflict
by renaming Public Folder to load first.  Loading the LaserSpeed spooler first,
last, or in the middle didn't help.  I LIKE MY SPOOLER!

Deneba suggested that public domain init conflicts aren't their problem.
LaserSpeed isn't public domain, and Public Folder is public domain in the legal
sense only.  Surely one of their beta testers had Public Folder??!!

Must I retire my faithful spooler?

Rich Klopp
 Research Engineer, SRI International
  micro2.klopp@crvax.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 90 18:06:23 EST
From: "LT Peter A. Nardi" (CompSci) <nardi@cad.usna.mil>
Subject: External hard disk won't boot?!?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this,

  My father received a 20MEG Segate external hard drive for his MAC
Plus.  After running the HD prepare program that came on floppy with
the drive, he saw the HD icon appear on the desktop.  The drive runs
fine, except that the computer will not boot from it.  Only after booting
>From a floppy does the HD ICON appear.
  Additionaly, the set-start-up CDEV (the floppy icon with a question
mark in it) does not appear in the control panel when it is opened.
I hooked his drive to my SE, booted from the floppy that came with it
and had no problem selecting his drive as the start-up using the CDEV.
(The system software that came with the drive is 6.0.4.)  I tried giving
him a copy of my system software (6.0.3) but still no luck
  Additional attempts to correct the problem include:

      1.) Rebuilding the desk top.
      2.) Zapping the PRAM, and restarting.
      3.) Re-formatting the drive.

Items which may be important:

      1.) The SCSI id of the drive is 6.  There are no other SCSI devices
          connected to the MAC.
      2.) There are no DIP switches on the drive to set the id.  The
          HD initialize program shows the id, but won't let me change it.
      3.) The drive is marketed by a company called "CAi" in
          Silver Spring Md.
      4.) The MAC is a vintage 1986 Plus. (would this be a problem with
          running system 6.X.X ?)
      5.) There are no INITs installed in the system.

  Any kind words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
in advance.

Pete Nardi
nardi@cad.usna.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 10:47:18 CST
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: GRIPS CD-ROM with NASA photos.

this disk is available for $9 from Meridian Data, 408/438-3100. it contains
stuff in both Mac and IBM formats, and a program for each machine to display
a bunch of the files.

many of the photos are from NASA archives, or recent Voyager pix. some of them
are classic scanned photos (the green frog, the porsche, mona lisa...).

when you call, ask for either Jamie Evans or Monica Meyer.

GRIPS stands for Gov't Raster Image Processing Seminar.

 -- clint

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 16:52 EST
From: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu
Subject: How can I determine the total memory size?

I want to determine the total amount of RAM on the current machine.  Under
multiFinder the old memTop variable now points to the end of the
current applications memory segment.  Does anyone know how to do this
(I am using Think C) so that it will work on *any* mac (incl. XL).

Please Reply directly to me:
Chris Eliot
Umass/Amherts

ELIOT@cs.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 10:14:37 EDT
From: tom@osf.org
Subject: Info-mac Question (fwd)

I forwarded a few question recently on info-mac to Paul Mercer
and below is his reply.  Note that all recent versions of SCSI tools
have the UNICEF address on the control panel, the person asking
about where to send his $5 should update!

Date: TUE, 30 Jan 90 16:09:18 EST
From: "Marc Dionne" <TRRMICR%UQTR.UQuebec.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Listserv-Punch format

I receive some file in LISTSERV-Punch format. I have no problem with that
on my PC because I use a pascal program written by Eric Thomas who can
convert it. I try to use this program in my Mac with Turbo-Pascal for
Macintosh but I have to rewrite all I/O function, it may take for me a lot
of time.

Does anyone have already do that or somebody have a program who can convert
 LISTSERV-Punch format file in a TEXT file format on a Mac.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc Dionne
Service de l'informatique
Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres
3351 Boul. Des Forges
Trois-Rivieres,Quebec,Canada
G9A 5H7

TRRMICR@UQUEBEC.ca
(819) 376-5100

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 20:15:51 EST
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: LOCALTALK PUZZLE

The LocalTalk Network in our department is acting starngely.
One Mac SE on the network cannot contact the LaserWriter, its name
doesn't come up on the Public Folder list, BUT it can get the names
of the other Public Folder users on the network.

I've tried restarting, turning off-then-on the AppleTalk and neither
cured the problem.  I've had all the connections checked.

What's happening?

Thanks for your help.

Jim Henry
* JHENRY at UTCVM  (BITNET)     * School of Engineering              *
* (615) 755-4398 (office)       * UTC     (Univ. of Tenn. at Chatt.) *
* (615) 886-4398 (home)         * Chattanooga, Tennessee  37403      *
* (615) 755-4025 (FAX)          * U.S.A.                             *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 20:00:14 EST
From: "Jim Henry in Chattanooga (615) 755-4398 or 886-6425"
Subject: LOCALTALK TO VAX CONNECTION

Dear MacWorkers:
In my department we have a LocalTalk network with Macs, a LW "+" and
a bridge to a VAX 785.  How can I connect to the VAX from my Mac over
the LocalTalk and log on wiht my VAX account.  Do I need ApplweTlak for
VMS?  Are there any alternatives?

    The network is this:

    LocalTalk Apple network connects to Kinetics Fastpath 4 Bridge
    Fastpath Bridge connects to a thinwire Ethernet cable
    DEC DESTA Thinwire Ethernet Adapter/Transceiver also connects to Ethernet
    DESTA connects to transceiver cable
    Transceiver cable connects to DEUNA Ethernet board on the VAX-11/785

APPLETALK for VMS Version 2.0 is the software that runs on the VAX to
connect the VAX to the MAC's using the Ethernet network.
                                                    The APPLETALK for VMS
was distributed by ODESTA in order to use their VAX software, HELIX VMX
Release 5.1.

The APPLETALK for VMS creates a virtual network and bridge on the VAX
which allows you to send data packets between the MAC network and the
VAX virtual network.  That's about all I know about it.

Thanks,

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 10:40:14 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Math Equation Editors

anyone wanting to do mathematical equations in papers, and especially
in a thesis or dissertation, to learn TeX and acquire Textures for the
Mac.  It's not that hard to learn (doing simple things can be very
easy, doing more complex things is not that much more difficult).
It's a joy to use, and you have the power to do anything you want --
for example, pulling the equations out of a paper or thesis and
printing enlarged copies to use in overhead projection transparencies,
or a poster paper display. It's widely available for nearly every
machine, source files are easily prepared with any ASCII editor and
can be transferred to and from any machine, and it's becoming a
standard for many professional society journals.  [Textures will run
fine and process large documents on a 1 MB Mac Plus, though a hard
disk is nice and you have to be a little careful about memory.]

And, you get to get some insight into a whole new way of thinking (a
programming language driven by rewards and penaltys rather than
explicit instructions).

If you don't want to do this, Expressionist is certainly a very good
program, though I haven't actually tried it out in direct competition
with MathType or Formulator.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 90 15:32:01 EST
From: Martin Dubuc <dubuc@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: MultiXfer 0.4a1

MultiXfer is a telecommunication application in which I implemented
a protocol based on X.25 allowing someone to make simultaneous
upload/download/chat (this is the kind of protocol used in MCS).
While in simultaneous upload/download, protocol efficiency is
at his best being as good as 3 times faster than XModem and
50% better than ZModem (which is considered the fastest protocol
available).

MultiXfer is a Mac-to-Mac serial-to-serial file transfer utility.
This means it can transfer files between two Macintosh linked by
modems or a null cable.

One of the major feature of MultiXfer beside its protocol is its
ability to turn your Macintosh into a host computer letting other
peoples under MultiXfer call your Mac, receive, send, catalog files
and navigate through the directories of your disk without any
human intervention.

The main enhancement in V0.4 is the File Transfer Interface which is now
much more convenient.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/multixfer-04a1.hqx; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 09:37:17 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: NeXT woes?

At our university computer service center I noticed a NeXT drive sitting
on the repair shelf; so I asked the clerk about it.  She said "We've
had a lot of NeXTs in here, and they've only been on campus a few
months."

Of course Apple needn't feel smug.  I was in there to have BOTH of our
Macs repaired, one of them for about the sixth or seventh time (the
3rd time for the same problem).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 13:39 CST
From: RINEWALT%TCUAVMS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Office Software Needed

I am looking for software to solve the following problem:

An office has three secretaries each with a Mac taking
messages for staff who are off-site. The secretaries need
to record messages and retrieve messages when staff call
in. The messages pool must be accessible by any or all
secretaries at all times since some may be taking
messages while others are retrieving.

Please reply directly to me
RINEWALT@TCUAVMS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 15:19 CST
From: There's no business like SHOW/BUSINESS <PROFESSOR%BSU.DECNET%MSUS1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Printer Driver...

Hi ho folks... I need a printer driver...  I'm looking for one
for an Epson FX-86e...  I suppose any generic Epson driver will do..

I can handle BinHex, Stuffit, Packit... so... Email me a response
if you've go one... I'd really appreciate it..  thanx in advance...

                                        PROFESSOR%BSU.DECNET@MSUS1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 90 18:30:42
From: Wolfgang Naegeli <Wolfgang_Naegeli.ED_TSRS@qm01.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: Remapping the keyboard

REGARDING                Remapping the keyboard
In Info-Mac 8/16 Josh Smith <JBS92@swat.swarthmore.edu>
responds to an earlier question about Dvorak keyboard layout:

>  The most effective solution is probably CE Software's QuicKeys.

This is certainly a possibility, but somewhat tedious and neither elegant nor
efficient.
I love QuicKeys, but for keyboard customization, I find MacKeymeleon II
>From Avenue Software much easier to use and much more flexible.
It is an application that comes bundled with two varieties of Dvorak layouts
and numerous foreign language layouts. A graphic user interface makes it very
easy to modify these or build your own from scratch. You can install any number
of them in your system and switch among them using the standard Keyboard CDEV.
For those who need to switch very often, it even comes with a DA that puts a
keyboard selection menu into your menu bar and a miniature status window on the
desktop that shows the presently selected keyboard layout.

If you have difficulties getting it in the U.S., here is the address:
Avenue Software is at 2162 ouest, boul. Charest
Sainte-Foy (Quebec)
Canada G1N 2G3
418-682-6968

I have no relationship with either CE or Avenue, other than beeing a satisfied
customer and beta-tester of some of their products.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-3895

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 10:04 EDT
From: <BMEDIRAT%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Resource Fork Troubles

Hello out there in NetLand.  I have a small programming problem that
perhaps somebody out there can help me with.  I am writing a CDEV that
modifies resources in the Finder.  I assumed that in order to open the
current Finder (without using SFGetFile) I would have to build some sort
of file tree including the volume name, system folder name, and finder
name, but I found that all I had to do was open the file pointed to by
the global FinderName.  Now FinderName points to a 7 byte string which
consists of the word "Finder" only.  So how the heck does the program
know which Finder to open?  Well, I'm not complaining too much because it
works and it's not my major problem.  The problem occurs when I run my
cdev WHEN I AM IN THE FINDER ITSELF.  Apparently, at that point, the Finder
is "already open with write permission" and I cannot access it's resources
and I cannot open it's resource fork.  This is extremely irritating.
Does anybody know of a way around this without putting up a "Don't use
>From the Finder" notice?  Thanks in advance
                                                -Bharat

BMEDIRATTA@COLGATEU (BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 17:17:26 EST
From: Pete Harrison <MERCURY@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: Retouch Docs.

In a posting of Retouch v.1.6.1 in December of last year, it was
stated that documentation for the application was posted separately.
I've searched the archive and have not found it.  Could someone
please let me know where it is, or if it was not posted, could
the person who posted the application please post the documentation.
Thanks.
                                        Pete

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 14:06:36 EST
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Serial Communications Controller (SCC)

If anyone had information regarding the workings of the SCC I would sure
appreciate a copy.  I am attempting to create some generic communications
documentation and I would like to explain (on a very esoteric level) what
exactly the SCC does.  I have the info regarding the SCC from Inside Mac,
but that doesn't talk in any detail about the SCC.  (Or possibly a better
sentence would be:  It talks about the SCC on too high a level for me.)

If anyone needs a further clarification, please contact me.  Thanks!

                                                Greg.

Postal address: Gregory E. Gilbert
                Computer Services Division
                University of South Carolina
                Columbia, South Carolina   USA   29208
                (803) 777-6015
Acknowledge-To: <C0195@UNIVSCVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 14:54:09 +0100
From: espen%ikaros@ifi.uio.no (Espen Jarle Vestre)
Subject: Startup Colors

After being upgraded to IIX, two machines in our department now display
black and white startup screens (one of them has a StartupScreen file, the
other one shows the standard screen in black and white).  The man who
did the upgrading has no idea what this could be.  It is of course a minor
problem, but, it makes me curious.
  The story is even more complicated:  There is also a third mac II which
also "lost its color" at the same time.  This one wasn't upgraded, but it
got, together with the two upgraded machines, a fan regulator mounted in.
But this machine suddenly one day got its startup colors back again!
And one of the upgraded machine also had colors for a while, but it had
to be returned because of a hardware error in the new IIX logic board.  With
the fresh board mounted, the colors were gone again.....

Does anyone have any idea what this can be?
And does anyone know of a cure to it?

Espen Vestre
Dep. of math., University of Oslo, Norway

espen@ikaros.uio.no

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 90 12:42:09 EDT
From: "BEN FERNANDEZ" <EA8@nysaes.cornell.edu>
Subject: Virus Rx - v1.6

Also-to: BEN FERNANDEZ

I downloaded the latest version (1.6) of Virus Rx.  When I ran
it I got this output:

      Volume:    Hard Disk
      Sunday, January 28, 1990   3:33 PM
      User: Ben
      Virus Rx - v1.6
      Your desktop file has naughty code in it.
      Rebuild all of your desktop files by holding,
      down the command and option keys while booting
      and when inserting diskettes.

      The infected file is Hard Disk:Desktop
      SUMMARY:
      ***** INFECTED FILES: 1

      !!!!! You appear to have a virus !!!!
      !!!!! Clean this volume          !!!!
      !!!!! See Virus Rx README        !!!!

I rebuilt the desktop file various times but still get the same
results (!).  I then downloaded and ran Disinfectant 1.5 and it
did not find any viruses in that file nor anywhere else in the
disk.  I also copied the desktop file to a floppy, changing its
name and making it visible, and when I ran Virus Rx on it this
time it failed to detect any infection.   Could this be simply
a bug in the Virus Rx program?  Any clues anybody?  I use a
IIcx with system 6.0.3.

Thanks.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ben Fernandez
Internet: ea8@nysaes.cornell.edu
IPM Building, NYSAES
Geneva, NY 14456
315-787-2209
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90  12:54:09 EST
From: Jurgenb%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: White Knight

Rich Holmes askes for comments on White Knight (formerly Red Ryder) in Info-
Mac v8 #16.  I'll be only too glad to make a few quick comments - the program
stinks, has always stunk, and by all indication always will stink.  To put it
simply, the author, Scott Watson, doesn't know what he's doing.

The first time I used Red Ryder was when it was still at version 6 point some-
thing.  It had a lot of neat features (compared to MacTerminal, the only real
alternative at the time), but it was buggy and had an ugly user interface.
This was in 1985.  It is now 1990, and the program is still buggy and it still
has an ugly user interface, despite the fact that went through innumerable
version increases since then.

Red Ryder/White Knight has alway had a lot of good features.  And with each
version Scott Watson added more features - and new bugs.  Also, it took this
guy years to comply with user interface guidelines in even the most rudi-
mentary ways (such as a movable resizable window, which it didn't get till
version 10.x when it went commercial).

To conclude: get Microphone or Versaterm Pro, both of which are very good
programs with decent user interfaces, and which are well maintained and
relatively bug free.

 Icon and      Jurgen Botz
 signature     Internet:    JurgenB@UMass.bitnet   (possibly temporary)
 should be     Compuserve:  70531,600   (70531.600@compuserve.com)
 here. Some    Voice:       US (413) 256-8610
 day! sigh.    Snail Mail:  11 S. Prospect St., Amherst, MA 01002, USA

End of Info-Mac Digest