Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/05/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  4 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  22

Today's Topics:
                  Adobe font Type 1 and Type Manager
                     America Online and this net
                 Casio/B.O.S.S. interface for the Mac
                                DE II
                       DFaultD 2.03 submission
               Differences between MAC-Plus and MAC-SE
                        Disk Express II 2.0.4
                           Fast Page Memory
                             Fontographer
               Help with stuffit... : The Final Answer
                              Immorality
                      Mac + at the Grocery Store
                         MacRecorder Pinouts
                      New NetTrek is Commercial
                       new systems/accelerators
                            printer paper
                       Printing Directory Path
         Problem w/printing large font size that is shadowed
                              Quick View
                         SuperPaint AutoTrace
                    Vacal-Radic Modem on 512E MAC
             Wanted: Voice Recognition Software/Hardware

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 23:09:39 EST
From: George <ST701640%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Adobe font Type 1 and Type Manager

I don't know what's been said about fonts and ATM, but I have a question.  When
 I purchased ATM, I expected many more fonts.  The 13 fonts I expected was only
 really 4 fonts.  I was, to summarize, kind of disappointed.  But I am highly
impressed ATM.  So, my question is this:
     Where can I get font Type 1 outlines and bitmapped fonts for ATM for free.
  I know they don't come easy.  I'm even willing to pay shareware costs.  But
the prices companies charge per font Type 1 is ridiculous, at least for a stude
nt.  I know Brown has Kathlita, but it doesn't seem to work.  So can anyone hel
p?

    Please send to my address (ST701640@BROWNVM), and I will try to summarize.

Thanks in advance...
George Lai, Brown University '92

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  1 Feb 90  16:11:22 EST
From: 3man%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: America Online and this net

Here's an idea:

  Since we all have macs on this net, I would guess that a good percentage
of us have America Online.  What do you guys think about having a little
conference on America Online so we can discuss the net.  We could talk about
problems, we could have a suggestion session, and then we could break in
to a genereal Mac question and answer session.  What do you guys think?  I
would be willing to host it, unless one of our moderators want to.  If
not as many people have America Online as I thought, get it!!  It's the
best service!!!  Call AOL at: 1-800-227-6364 (between after 12pm EST).  The
software is COMPLETELY free, so, if some friend of yours has an uninitial-
ized version, you can call them, get a password, and be online in 10 minutes!

  Send replies to me, and I will compile a list of responses to the net.  I
especially look forward to hearing from the moderators.

                                              -John
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------#
John S. Greene        : Bitnet ---------> 3Man@UMass
University of Mass.   : Internet -------> 3Man%UMass.Bitnet@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
Amherst, MA 01003     : America Online -> Tetrad
Voice: (413) 546-518  : CompuServe -----> 70406.1421
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------#

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 20:53 PST
From: netcom!ric@apple.com (Richard Bretscheider)
Subject: Casio/B.O.S.S. interface for the Mac

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Hello,

>I have recently purchased a Casio sf-7500 Business Organizer
>Scheduling System (B.O.S.S.) and have heard that there is a way
>of hooking it up to a Mac via some cable/hardware/software combination.

Well, you could use the CasioLink for Macintosh package.  It includes
the cable, the software, and export support for Hypercard and most
database packages.

>Has anyone had any experience with this.  If it is possible to make a
>cable and use a telecommunications program (like Red Ryder 10.3), I
>would rather do that then buy something for around $80.

Well, given that this bugger seems to have some kind of special handshaking
going on _all_ the time, that doesn't seem like a possibility in the
near future.  I don't think that Traveling Software is going to release
technical info on the data transfer (and thereby slit their own throats!)

If you really shop around the package will cost you between $90 and $100.
Given TS's previous history of good support and updates, this is probably
worth the money.  The current verison of the software actually gives
you all the functionalty of the BOSS in a Mac application (plus a bit
more!) and allows you to upload and download to the BOSS.

>Reply to me and I'll summarize for the net.

Sorry, this was easier.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 19:02:19 -0900
From: "AB J KUENZLI"  <FTAJK%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DE II

    Recently a Quick-Keys/Crystal Quest interaction caused my hard drive to
shut-down while in the middle of a DE II optimization. Upon rebooting, the
DE II icon was blicking in the upper left corner (a small icon representation)
and I went to the Cdev. It informed me that Word was being optimized when
the disk shutdown, and I should check the file. I just put a new version in
and feel pretty good about the outcome. Granted, without a back-up one could
have a problem, but I feel pretty good about the notification and feel it is
well trapped. It was version 2.0.3 on a Mac II with Virtual and lots of inits.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1990 12:53-EST
From: Jon.Gotow@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: DFaultD 2.03 submission

Enclosed is DFaultD 2.03.  It is a bug fix for version 2.0 which I recently
released.  Version 2.03 remedies the crashes which occurred on some systems
when the "Options" button was clicked in the cdev, as well as fixing an
incompatibility with TOPS.  It also fixes a bug which overwrote a part of the
link record when you tried to re-link a DA.  Also, holding down the shift
key during boot-up now disables DFaultD entirely, and holding down the
Command key while launching a DA bypasses DFaultD's usual setting
of the default directory.

Please note that because of the way Suitcase II patches the OpenDeskAcc
call, the DFaultD INIT must be loaded _after_ Suitcase (ie. rename DFaultD
so that Suitcase precedes it alphabetically).  This is not my fault.

The documentation is packaged as a separate file, since it is almost
unchanged since version 2.0.

If you don't know about DFaultD, here is the original blurb:

Following is DFaultD 2.0, a cdev that lets you specify default
folders for applications and desk accessories.  DFaultD allows
you to:
    - Make any number of "link sets" which specify default folders for
      any number of applications and desk accessories.
    - Automatically switch to an application's default folder if it's
      launched without a file.
    - Manually switch to an application or DA's default folder at any
      time using a pop-up menu in your file dialogs.

DFaultD is shareware.  I've included the documentation as a separate binhexed
file - the cdev has enough on-line help that the docs aren't absolutely
necessary.

				Jon Gotow (jong@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/dfaultd-203.hqx; 47K
             /info-mac/cdev/dfaultd-docs-203.hqx; 67K]

------------------------------

Date: 1 Feb 90 06:19:11 EST
From: Garrett.Pelton@natasha.mach.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Differences between MAC-Plus and MAC-SE

A while ago I posted a problem with an application I am developing
in that it ran on a MAC Plus and MAC II but bombed on an SE.
I thought there might be some people that would be interested in
what the problems were.

Apparently (though I don't know why) calloc does not work on a
  Mac SE, while it does on the other platforms. A call to calloc
  using MPW 3.0.1 C with an argument of size 3 returns 0 indicating
  that memory allocation failed.

Second problem was I was compiling a SANE version of the software and
  had left the elems881 switch on. This caused the constant 0.0 to come
  from the 68881 which the SE and Plus didnot have. What I do not
  understand is why the Plus worked with this switch on. Could it
  have better illegal instruction traps?

Bye
Gary

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 08:53:24 EDT
From: Denis Beauchemin <IN10%UDESVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Disk Express II 2.0.4

Hi,

I finally received version 2.0.4 yesterday (it takes so much time to
reach us, here in Canada!).  It works great and doesn't give me the "Bad
Block" error while verifying my disk.

I don't know if AlSoft is ready to send version 2.0.4 to everyone who has
this problem (I didn't ask them but I'm pretty sure they are) but it sure
works great on my Mac.

If you have the "Bad Block" problem with your hard disk, don't hesitate to
contact them.  They've been very helpful for me.

    --> Denis Beauchemin, Analyste        --> IN10@UDESVM.BITNET
        Departement de mathematiques          (819) 821-7022
        et d'informatique
        Universite de Sherbrooke

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 08:47:51 -0800
From: sml@wdl1.fac.ford.com (Steve M Lazarus)
Subject: Fast Page Memory

The attached file, downloaded from Genie, explains the mystery of the IIci
and fast page memory.

Steve Lazarus                           ...sun!sgi!wdl1!sml (uucp)
Ford Aerospace  <--for sale by owner    sml@wdl1.fac.ford.com (internet)
MS X-20                                 408 473-4203
PO Box 49041
San Jose, CA  95161

[Archived as /info-mac/report/fast-page-memory.txt; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 11:11:58 -0900
From: "NetHack god"  <FTDKL%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Fontographer

Hi Everyone!
Recently I asked the net about Postscript font generating
programs and specifically about Fontographer.

I only received one reply but it confirmed what I had thought.

Here is the letter:

>From: UC445252 at UMCVMB
>To:   FTDKL at ALASKA
>Subject: fontographer

>i have had no problems using fontographer, it does take a little time to get
>used to, but it seems to work pretty well. It generates bitmaps in whatever
>sizes you request and comes with a bitmap editor to clean them (it does a
>mediocre job of generating the bitmaps, but i doubt there exists a better
>way of computerizing the process).
>hope this helps... gre7g

Thanks Greg,
Dan LaSota
FTDKL@ALASKA

------------------------------

Date: 29 JAN 90 10:49:58
From: P7DEA001%FRCIRP81.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Help with stuffit... : The Final Answer

 Two weeks ago, I asked for some help about Stuffit, because I couldn't
"unstuff" the programs I download from various file servers. I receive many
answer, and I thank all the people who spent some time trying to help me.
 Some suggested that it was a problem with the network : noise on the lines.
Although it can always be a problem, it wasn't that this time.
 Other suggested that the involved files were in MacBinary format : so I
downloaded (or uploaded? I don't know which word to use) MacBinary from
Info-mac. It works well, and now I can un-MacBinary and un-StuffIt with no
problems.
 MacBinary seems to be the format used by Kermit to transfert Mac files, but
it seems to be also recognized by MacLink. It adds an header of 128 bytes
to a file, and around 39 bytes at the end of the files (info provided by
Z3ALS@TTACS, thanks a lot!). I'll try to make a little utility a strip these
bytes some day...
 There is a last problem with all that :
   - StuffIt (and UnStuffIt, of course) uses the List Manager to display
     the archives. I've got an old 512k Mac, with old roms, so I cannot
     use Stuffit (and of course unstuffit). This makes me VERY angry, and
     I won't send R. Lau (author of stuffit) any money for a program I can't
     use. Why the List Manager is needed for a "little" compression program ??
     Why use something many people can't use ?? I must give the uploaded
     files to my girlfriend (she's got a Mac SE) to unstuff them... (maybe SHE
     will send money...)
   - MacBinary needs System 6.0 (or later!) to run, so I can't use it to!!!!
     I'm getting tired of all this... When I think my friends who have Amigas
     or PC never had problem to uncompress files they uploaded!!! Is the mac a
     so bad machine ????
   - Binhex4.0 WOKRS WELL, EVEN ON MY COMPUTER !! Its author has done a good
     job, so I'll send money (as soon as I'll know how to do that from France)

 Sorry to have taken that many place, and thanks to everyone...
                                                            Friendly,
                                                                  Martin.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 17:47:22 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Immorality

A while ago someone complained on the net that Word's thesaurus gives
"immoral" as a synonym for "atheist". FullWrite and MacWrite do the same -
they all use Microlytics Wordfinder. However, Microlytics has most amenably
agreed to fix this in the next update of their product.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  1 Feb 90 08:06:43 EST
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Mac + at the Grocery Store

Jeff Meredith <meredith@erl.mit.edu> writes:
>    They should
be giving MacPlusses away at grocery stores

I was amused to see this line, since I had just noticed in
yesterday's Boston Globe (1/31/90 P. 35) an advertisement for
Campbell's soup -- "Enter Campbell's Winter Storm Watch Sweepstakes
and Win an Apple Macintosh."  with a picture of the Campbells' soup
kids on the familiar Mac + screen! They're giving away 4 Mac +
'puters with imagewriters!

Once again, truth is stranger than fiction.

Russell Aminzade
Coordinator of Educational Computing
Northeastern University
r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 10:39:58 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: MacRecorder Pinouts

Hello Folks.
I recently broke one pin of the MacRecorder digitizer. Can anyone
give me the pinouts and the cabling so I can make a new plug?
Please mail directly to ISSTTH@NUSVM

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 19:46:41 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: New NetTrek is Commercial

Greetings,

In reference to the inquiry about NetTrek, the new version is a commercial
product.  I've purchased it, and it has a few nice improvements, but the
advertising leaves out one obnoxious "feature".  The advertising says there
is a limit of 6 players on the network at a time, which is fine.  What the
advertising doesn't tell you is that the disks are serialized and only two
stations can play using one disk.  I don't have a problem with this marketing
ploy, I do have a problem with it not being laid out in the advertising.  If
I knew how, I would bypass the "feature" because I'm not buying another copy
in protest of this kind of sneaky business.  Had this been specified in the
advertising, I would have either purchased two disks (we have 3 people who
like to play it in the lab) or not purchased it at all...

Bruce A. Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator    = Boise State University
"It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer"=  1910 University Drive
========================================================       Boise, ID  83725
InterNet/Domain: duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu              = Office: (208) 385-1250
CREN (BITNet): duscarte@idbsu [] CompuServe: 76666,511 =    Lab: (208) 385-1859

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 13:05:27 CST
From: Gregg Grosshans <AGME003%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: new systems/accelerators

  I'm on the verge of owning a mac (what one I'm not quite sure of yet) and
have two questions.  One, has anyone heard of possible prices and types of
macs that apple will announce in 1990, and possibly when?  Finally, does
anyone have/use the Railgun 68030 accelerator card on a mac+, if so, what
is the performance like?

Please reply directly to me as I'm not subscribed to this list.  Thanks

*                                                       *
* GREGG GROSSHANS    SR. METEOROLOGY / CLIMATOLOGY      *
*                    ___________________________________*
* AGME003@UNLVM      UNIV. OF NE-LINCOLN                 *
*                                                        *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 17:15:19 CST
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: printer paper

those who know: is there any harm in running paper through a laser-printer
twice? we need to print some unusual things, and this turns out to be the
only way to get what we want.

is the printer (or the paper, for that matter) going to suffer?

 -- clint

------------------------------

Date: Wed 31 Jan 90 15:09:09-CST
From: Walt Livingston <WLIVINGSTON@gunter-adam.af.mil>
Subject: Printing Directory Path

I am "very" new to UNIX, and have a question please.  I have a MAC IIX, running
A/UX and SecureWare.  I have followed some of the traffic concerning the
printing of the current directory path as a prompt (similiar to MS-DOS
Prompt $P $G).  I have tried almost all of the methods listed in this
forum and none seem to work.  The closest I can get is with this:

  chd() { cd $1 ; PS1="'pwd'> " ; }

This gives me something like /users/walt no matter what path I take.

Does someone out there have A/UX who can help me on this.  I would appreciate
any help I can get.

A struggling (but almost a convert) neophite in UNIX....

Walt Livingston
Honeywell Operating System Manager
Gunter Air Force Base, Alabama
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  1-Feb-1990 08:43:36.09 CST
From: <rcd2403%tamchem.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (R. C. Davis)
Subject: Problem w/printing large font size that is shadowed

MacFriends,

My wife presented me with a strange problem this evening.  She was
trying to print a cover page using the Helvetica font.  We have a
Mac Plus, MS Word 4.0 and Suitcase II.  The Helvetica suitcase has
all the font sizes up to 54 point.

So, my dearest starts up Word 4.0.  She types the text, centers it,
then selects the font size to 54.  Then, for the effect, she has the
text shadowed.  Everything looked nice in Word's Print Preview.

However, on printing (using an Imagewriter II w/version 2.7 driver)
all the letters were squished together and compressed.  The only fix
was to unshadow the text.  Why?  How can I get large fonts to print
correctly when shadowed?  Has anyone else encountered the same
dilemma?

Thanks for your help.

Ricardo Davis
Dept. of Chemistry                           THEnet:    CHEMVX::RCD2403
Texas A & M University                       BITnet:    RCD2403@TAMCHEM
College Station, TX  77843-3255  USA         Internet:  RCD2403@CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU
Telephone  (409) 845-0612                               (128.194.5.2)
FAX        (409) 845-4719
Wisdom for the day:

Whoever rewards evil for good, evil will not depart from his house.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jan 90 23:29:55 PST
From: Dan Crevier <dcrevier@jarthur.claremont.edu>
Subject: Quick View

Quick view is a desk accessory that allows you to view files in either hex
or text mode.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/quick-view.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 11:34:30 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SuperPaint AutoTrace

I need some help with SuperPaint's AutoTrace feature.  I work with a
small all-volunteer, tiny-budget organization called the Community
Free University.  We have a nice logo which we like to use in our
advertising, letterheads,  etc.  I paid a commercial service some
time ago to scan it with Thunderscan, then trace it with Illustrator.
The service has gone out of business, and besides, EPSF images don't
import well into all the kinds of documents we like to use.

I want to re-trace the scanned image using SuperPaint, which I own;
but I find the AutoTrace feature very hard to use.  The tutorial is
nice; but it doesn't explain enough.  It tells you to try different
settings of the "more & shorter lines vs. fewer & longer lines,"
"jagged vs smooth" and "all hinge points vs. all smooth points"
controls; but it doesn't really explain what each one does in detail

The problem is that any combination of settings I try seems to result
in too many lines or not enough.  Hours of labor, both by myself and
by a friend, have resulted in dozens of ugly tracings, none of them
usable.  This is obviously an art more than a science.

What I would like is 1) some advice on how to make practical use of
those controls or 2) even better, somebody skilled at this willing
to volunteer to trace two scanned images for us.

I would gladly reimburse you with a couple of disks full of
shareware from my large collection.

By the way, I can't figure out even whether I want beziers or
polygons.  This manual really isn't much help when it comes to
AutoTrace.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 16:25:58 EST
From: "CPT Steven M. Mahoney" <smmahone@crdec1.apgea.army.mil>
Subject: Vacal-Radic Modem on 512E MAC

Our office is almost exclusively IBM.  I have been given a Vacal-Radic PA
2400Baud modem and a copy of XTerm-Pro to use with my MAC 512E.  I've
linked all the hardware together and attempted to start.  The MAC seems to
be trying to send/receive information, but the characters are garbage.
Anything I try to type also shows on the screen as garbage.  I am
attempting to use this modem to link to our VAX for E-Mail.  I have tried
different settings with no luck.  I think the problem may be the cabling
>From modem to MAC.  They gave me a standard IBM type cable to go from 25 (i
think) pin down to the 9 pin port on my MAC.  The cable mismatched female
to female, so we used a straight gender bend to force the link.  I have
very little experience with modems.  I can get people to rewire the modem
link if that is what is required.  Anyone have any ideas, I'm forced to
continue using my IBM until this problem is fixed?????  Thanks ahead for
any advice!

By the way, does anyone have a point of contact at Microsoft
Engineering/Development?  I've got some questions I'd like to ask someone
about how they function.  Thanks again!

				Steve Mahoney

----- End of forwarded messages

------------------------------

Date: 1 Feb 90 18:55:47 GMT
From: gksmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Gary Smith)
Subject: Wanted: Voice Recognition Software/Hardware

A friend of mine at the Ontario Science Centre is interested in
voice recognition software/hardware for either the ibm, the mac
or the amiga.  Does anyone have experience in this field or
knowledge of companies who create such hardware/software ?

Any info ( names of sources etc.. ) would be greatly appreciated.

Gary.
gksmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest