Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/12/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 11 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  25

Today's Topics:
       [Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca: More on serial line LaserWriter]
                       Adobe Type 1 Font Format
                         A mac-guru speaks...
                         BITNET mail follows
                        Cursors in System File
                           Dialog question
           Follow-up on request for "Guernica Project" info
                       Fortran-to-C conversion
                        Genealogy: HyperTree
                           Graf3d Questions
                   Info-Mac Digest V8 #21 (2 msgs)
                          LSP and MacinTalk
                           Menuselect FKEY
                     my poor 128K mac is dying...
                    Not SHUTting DOWN a Hard Disk
                             PowerDrives!
                        Printer Recommendation
                   Question about Ehman hard drives
           reading PICT files of larger depth than screen?
                            Startup Colors
                         toolbox programming
                    Vacal-Radic Modem on 512E MAC
         White Knight and Microphone terminal software choice

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 90 19:32:42 pst
From: meldal@anna.stanford.edu
Subject: [Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca: More on serial line LaserWriter]

Thanks for the LW 6.0 hack. Is there a general strategy that we
can use on future LW releases (i.e. how do I figure out which part of
the code to change, and to what)?

When you write, concerning the first change, making an automatic cmd-F:

>        (the hint on doing this part differently was to modify resource
>         DITL number -8191 to make the "Disk File" box visible. The
>         problem I had with this is that the box doesn't stay "ticked"
>         between uses of the driver, so you have to retick the box each
>         time. This didn't do me much good since I always want to send
>         the print job to the serial port. If I am missing something, I
>         hope someone will let me know.)

It is correct that you have to tick it every time. The advantage is
that you can use the background print feature under multifinder when
you tick the disk file box (remembering of the course to tick the
background print radio button in the Chooser). Instead of waiting for
an interminable time while the driver dumps postscript across a
(rather slow) serial line, you only wait for the printout to be dumped
to disk (fast), then the print monitor will take care of the slow
process of converting this file to postscript and sending the result
across the line, letting you do other work concurrently. It will also
queue printouts for you.

-- Sigurd Meldal

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 18:58 EDT
From: <RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Adobe Type 1 Font Format

Hello, Netlanders:

        I recently read in MacWEEK (Jan 30) that Adobe has made (or
rather, was forced to make) public the format of its Type 1 fonts.  Does
anyone know where I could get hold of this document?  Also, what are the
other available font types (i.e., are there Type 2 fonts, Type 3 fonts,
etc.?) and how do they differ from Type 1 fonts?  Please e-mail your
replies directly to me; I'll summarize.

        Thanks for your time.

                                Rahul Mangaldas.

                  BITNET:       rmangaldas@clarku
                Internet:       rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 16:22:54 CST
From: UC445252%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: A mac-guru speaks...

This is in response to a question i posted about posting events and
string/number conversions

>From: 6600pete@UCSBUXA.BITNET                         <== mac-guru
>PostEvent. OS utilities. Remind me to send you the blurb when I get home
>Don't use app4 events -- those are used by MultiFinder. In fact, don't
>post any events you yourself "define"; Apple says not to any more.
>
>StringToNum and NumToString. Look in the International Utilities package for
>floating point.

Thanks again... hope this helps others...

gre7g

             (this space intentionally left blank)

------------------------------

Date: 5 Feb 90   15:11 EDT
From: ATSDBL%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: BITNET mail follows

DATE: 05 FEB 90
>From: David B. Lutz <ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET>
SUBJECT: PROBLEMS ACCESSING PRINTERS ON LOCALTALK NETWORK

We have a lab of approx. 18 Macintosh SE HD 20s, 3 ImageWriters,
two ImageWriter lqs (all have the Appletalk option card) and two
LaserWriter printers. occasionally some of the macs display a strange
behavior when a user wishes to print to one of the imagewriters. The
user clicks on the Appletalk ImageWriter icon from the CHOOSER; selects a
printer from the list in the right-hand CHOOSER window; however, when the
user selects the PRINT command, the LaserWriter appears as the selected
printer rather than the ImageWriter. Printed output comes off
the laser rather than the ImageWriter. The only solution I have found
so far is to re-format the hard disk and reinstall the software; the
problem then goes away (i.e. output goes to the actual printer that
was selected under CHOOSER). My questions are:

1) What may be causing this problem to occur;

and more importantly,

2) Is there a simpler fix other than re-formatting the hard disk?

We are currently running System 6.0.4; applications available include
Word 4.0, SuperPaint 2.0, FoxBase+, PageMaker 3.02, Excel 2.2, HyperCard.
Any information will be of great assistance to the lab users and myself.

Dave Lutz
ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 08:00:50 PST
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Cursors in System File

Version 6.1.x system files all seem to have four cursors 'CURS' that
are the spinning ball.  However, the ID numbers don't appear to be
consistent between various systems.  They are all large negative numbers
that are in 1-up sequence.  How do I find those cursors in a program
that is intended to be used on multiple machines?  There is no name
attached to any of them.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Mon Feb 05 09:31:00 1990
From: microsoft!jonn@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Dialog question

I have a dialog in which two of the EditText items apply only if a
certain box is selected.  I want to get rid of these two EditText
items when the box is cleared, and reinstate them when it is checked.
At present, I am doing this by using SetDItem to replace the EditText
items with StatText items -- but this is a crude hack!  Does anyone have
any better ideas?

Jon Newman

p.s.  This is for a personal project, a Core War development system for
the Mac -- Microsoft has nothing to do with this.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Feb 90 12:57:45 GMT
From: bals@lilac.dec.com (My name is Legion)
Subject: Follow-up on request for "Guernica Project" info

My thanks to those who responded to my request for information
on the so-called "Guernica Project" SuperCard application. One
person even went to the extent of contacting Silicon Beach on
my behalf, and I should note -- especially given my earlier
complaint about Silicon Beach's poor responsiveness -- that
SB went above and beyond the call of customer service :-) in
getting the information to me. In fact, their marketing director
found my home phone number through directory information and called
me Friday evening specifically to apologize for the problems I had
run into when I had called the week before. Would that my own company
was that responsive.

And thus, behold the power of the Net. :-)

			"The only thing technology does is
                         prolong hopelessness."

-- Fred Bals (DEC Merrimack, NH)

Mail addresses:

bals@hyster.dec.com			bals@hyster.enet.dec.com

UUCP:	...!decwrl!hyster.enet.dec.com!bals

ARPA:	bals%hyster.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 10:15:57 PST
From: Jonathan Eisenhamer <jon@astro.ucla.edu>
Subject: Fortran-to-C conversion

 To All,
 	I am looking for a Fortan-to-C source conversion program that
 runs on Macintosh.  Pointers to archives, etc., welcome.

 	Please respond to me; I don't subscibed to this list.  I'll
 post a summary if appropriate.

 Thank you for your time,

 Jonathan Eisenhamer
 jon@astro.ucla.edu
 jon@uclastro.bitnet
 bonnie::jon (span 5.708)
 (213)206-8596

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1990 18:11:38 PST
From: Adam Galper <galper@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Genealogy: HyperTree

Several weeks ago, I posted a request for information on genealogy
stacks.  From the responses I've received, the one product out there
that purports to generate graphical family trees is HyperTree, which
is available from BudgetBytes as one of several HyperCard Productivity
Aids that come on a single disk ($5.99 and $4.00 S/H).  Before I shell
out big bucks and get all excited as I wait weeks for delivery, is
there anybody out there who has used HyperTree and can comment on its
usefulness (and its display of trees)?  If it's lousy, I might just
hack something together myself.

--Adam

P.S.  Several people referred me to Personal Ancestral File V2.1, an
application put out by the Mormon Church ($35).  But it doesn't do
trees.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 09:27:46 EST
From: John.Pane@cat.cmu.edu
Subject: Graf3d Questions

What is the best source of documentation for the Graf3d library?  I found
an appendix in the MPW 2.0 Pascal manual (not in 3.0), but this is sketchy
and has at least one error.

Does Graf3D work with a color grafport?  If not, is it worthwhile to try
to use this library to figure out coordinate transformations for plotting
in a different view.  Is this what the Transform procedure does?

Does anybody have a working example of how to use this library?

Thank you.
--
John Pane						pane@cs.cmu.edu
School of Computer Science

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 14:24:41 EST
From: Mike Silva <EOO102%URIACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #21

J. Henry,

I think what you are looking for is Telnet software that will allow you
to log on to the Vax providing that the software on the Vax supports
Telnet. Telnet runs on the TCP/IP protocol and will allow remote login and
file transfer through ethernet. I believe the University of Illinois can
provide that software for your Macs...as for the Vax you will have to ask
Digitial.

                     Mike Silva   (eoo102@uriacc)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 18:14:04 EST
From: joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph)

The new CE software Product In/Out might work for you.  It is a
package designed to be networked and might allow messages to be sent
and retrieved by multiple persons on the same network.

Seymour

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 22:08:36 EST
From: Bob Rahe <CES00661%UDACSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LSP and MacinTalk

  Someone recently asked for info/samples for using MacinTalk
with LSP.  Here's some stuff I got from somewhere back in the
LSP 1.x days.  Includes the LSP library file, interface file, a
short doc with a sample program.  You supply the project and
MacinTalk.  (Works under LSP 2.0x altho the doc refers to some
older 1.x naming conventions.)

    Enjoy,
      Bob

[Archived as /info-mac/source/pascal/think-pascal-macintalk-example.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 09:55 EST
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Menuselect FKEY

with menus pulled down, I am submitting MenuSelect 2.5, an
FKEY that does exactly that. Install it using Resedit (or
use a FONT/DA utility like MasterJuggler or Suitcase). The
documentation appears in a dialog box each time the FKEY
is invoked.

I am not sure whether or not this is freeware or shareware, it's
by John Holder.

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/menuselect-25.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 14:23:50 PST
From: kent@wsl.dec.com
Subject: my poor 128K mac is dying...

I have a 128K mac with extra floppy drive, both dating from 1984. A few
years back, I upgraded to 512K, but I haven't done anything else. (That
is, it has old ROMs, and 400K drives.) Both disk drives have about had
it -- the eject spring has given up, and the nylon cam that holds the
disk 'tray' up after ejecting usually doesn't hold, so moving disks in
and out is a Royal Pain.

The question is what to do about it? Is there an upgrade path that
makes (economic) sense, or should I just buy a new MacPlus? Is there
any market for old, unupgraded Macs? I'm sentimentally attached to the
machine (and it *does* have the signatures of all the designers molded
into the case), but I'm not silly.

Please reply by mail, and I'll send a summary to the digest after a while.

chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 11:05:04 EST
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Not SHUTting DOWN a Hard Disk

We have a Mac Lab with a number of machines with hard disks.  We would like
to be able to control after hours access *EASILY*.  One option would be to
use a password utility, however lab personnel would have to unlock a Mac
everytime a user SHUT DOWN a machine (For some reason we have a number of users
who do not drag the disk to the trash can to eject disks.).

Is there a way to remove the SHUT DOWN option so users *CANNOT* SHUT DOWN
even if they want to?  Thanks much.

                                                Greg.

Postal address: Gregory E. Gilbert
                Computer Services Division
                University of South Carolina
                Columbia, South Carolina   USA   29208
                (803) 777-6015

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 15:20:19 EST
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PowerDrives!

     I was reading in the latest MacUser, and advertisment from a company calle
d MacLand. I could get an 80 megabyte external hard disk for $588! The company
that makes the drives is called PowerDrive. It comes with bare-bones software b
ut I don't really care about that part. Has anybody had any luck with powerdriv
es? Thats and incredible price for an 80 meg.

Chris Khoury
3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET
Acknowledge-To: <3XMQGAA@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 16:33:55 PST
From: tony@sutro.sfsu.edu (Tony Lee)
Subject: Printer Recommendation

Hi Mac Society:
	I am a owner of a Mac SE and a PC-XT clone.  At the mean time, I would like to
purchase a printer for both my mac and my pc clone. I read about a lot of discussion on
installing HP's inkjet on mac and would greatly appreciated any help or pointer on how it
can be done.  I would also like to consider some cheaper solution ( that inkjet printer will
cause $600-$700).

	Thanks for you help and I would summarize the result on the net.

My Internet is

	Tony@sutro.sfsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 90 14:47 EDT
From: <RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Question about Ehman hard drives

Hello, netlanders:

        I am in the market for a hard drive, and I have more or less
settled on the Ehman 45MB removable.  At $749, it seems to be good value
for money, and their saleswoman was courteous, friendly and (most
important) knew what she was talking about (as opposed to the one at
MacWarehouse: she thought "removable" meant "separable from the Mac",
i.e., external).  Their drive is pleasing to look at, too, and goes well
with the platinum white of the Mac.

        I would like to hear from people who have purchased Ehman
products: are you satisfied with their service, do the products perform
as advertised, etc.  Any comments, good and (especially) bad, are
welcome, but *please* don't use a page if a line will do -- my disk
quota is very small.

        As an aside, while researching the market, I found a few other
(apparent) good values-for-money: Canyon Technologies, which is offering
hard drives from 20MB all the way to 200MB at introductory prices until
February 28; Mirror Technologies, which is offering a 15" (or was it
19"...?) portrait monitor for under $700; Products Plus, which has bulk
Sony diskettes at $0.53 each DS/DD, $1.50 each DS/HD; DPI (Direct
Peripherals, Inc.) which has the 45MB removable for $739 (I didn't go
with them because their casing and their logo were too clunky -- are you
listening, DPI?).  All of these companies are in the January 30 issue of
MacWEEK.

        I should add, furthermore, that I have no connection to any of
these companies, or to MacWEEK, and my opinions are based solely on the
advertisements of the manufacturers and/or articles in MacWEEK.  Check
them out more thoroughly before committing yourself.  Moral: caveat
emptor, or "buyer beware" for all you non-Latin majors. :-)

        These companies seemed to be offering a good deal, unlike a
certain company in Cupertino, and I thought I'd bring them to the
attention of the INFO-MAC community.

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 14:37 EDT
From: JACKSON@mecan1.maine.edu
Subject: reading PICT files of larger depth than screen?

Another question...

I'm working on an application for image processing on the Mac.
I'm reading PICT files into an offscreen color graf port, and then
displaying them. What I want to do is be able to deal with an eight
bit image offscreen even if the screen depth is lower at the time.
(For example, increasing the contrast of an eight bit image for
  desktop publishing even if you've only got a black and white display)

Anyway, it seems that when I set up an eight bit cGrafPort everythings
cool until I read in the PICT file. Then for some reason the pixMap stored
in the PICT get reduced to one bit depth (0s and 1s). If the screen
depth is set to 8 bits everything works good, but if its set at 1,
the 8 bit image data is lost. It's as if the PICT spooling process ignores
the depth of the current portPixMap and looks at the actual screen depth.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Jax

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 00:49 -0300
From: "JOAO C. PORTINARI" <PUCRJPP%BRFAPESP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Startup Colors

Espen Vestre, from Norway, wrote:
>After being upgraded to IIX, two machines in our department now display
>black and white startup screens...

Try renaming the file "Monitors" as "1Monitors" so that it loads
first.
Joao

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 23:36 EST
From: AKAPILAN <"AKAPILAN@BECHTEL%Bechtel"@mcimail.com>
Subject: toolbox programming

To: INFOMAC --MCI

>From: Akilan V. Kapilan
Hi,

I am currently developing an application on the macintosh using Think's C. I
am at a dead end trying to figure out how regions are associated with the
mouse click ? How does the mouse pointer recognize the region that is clicked
and there upon execute the event?

I would also like to know how to launch a dialog box when I double click on a
given region, for example an oval region?

Please send me any information on how to solve this problem

Thank you :-)

akilan V.K.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 10:51 EST
From: HENRY YEE <HENRY@atc.bendix.com>
Subject: Vacal-Radic Modem on 512E MAC

IN%"smmahone@crdec1.apgea.army.mil"
IN%"info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu"

CPT Steven M. Mahoney,

  You're right, the problem is the cable.  The IBM serial cable is not
compatible with the modem cable for the old Mac (later Mac's use a different
connector).  Get the pinouts for the original Mac modem port and wire up
a cable for the modem, remembering to use the (-)polarity instead of the
(+)polarity for the transmit and receive signals.

  By the way, I think it's Racal-Vadic, not Vacal-Radic.

Henry Yee
IN%"Henry%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET"

------------------------------

Date: 04 FEB 90 22:03:01 CST
From: Z4610891 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: White Knight and Microphone terminal software choice

Jurgen Botz writes:

"...I'll be only too glad to make a few quick comments - the program
stinks, has always stunk, and by all indication always will stink."
[in reference to his opinion of Red Ryder]

      How so?  I use Red Ryder 10.3 and love it.  Instead of slamming
the product and claiming that it 'stinks', perhaps it would be better
to make a list of bugs and how it 'stinks'.

"To conclude: get Microphone or Versaterm Pro, both of which are very good
programs with decent user interfaces, and which are well maintained and
relatively bug free."

      Microphone is an excellent program but EXPEN$$$IVE.  Red Ryder 10.3
and commercial versions upwards are less expensive and packed with powerful
features.
      I think the reason that I'm taking up net space with my comment
on Jurgen's letter is that personally I am reacting to the expense of
operating a Mac.  Although some areas are quite affordable, most are
too rich for a hobbiest and non-business user, unless his income can
support the overall Mac platform.  Microphone is ridiculously
expensive.
      Red Ryder/White Knight keeps the pricing in perspective.  Surely
it is unfair to slam the product unless qualifiers are listed.  Sorry
about the soap box, folks.

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

End of Info-Mac Digest