Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/12/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 11 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  26

Today's Topics:
                           Antonin Dvorak?
                        AppleTalk File Servers
                        casio to mac interface
                 Double-printing Laser-printed sheets
             DVI to Imagewriter - Looking for a Project?
                           DVORAK SWITCHER
                                Events
                        GNU Emacs on MacOS !?
                              HARD DISK
                             Mac+ speeds
                                memory
                     NewHandle hangs!! - replies
                       PageMaker and PostScript
                  Placing Inits on AppleShare Server
                      Poscript on a LaserJet!?!
                Printing Mac files on other machines.
             Printing out Scanned color images at 300dpi
                         Prototyper 2.1 Demo
                         Quill Desk accessory
               SID (Low cost ($20) Sound Input Device)
                               Subsets
                         Wingz won't Launch?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 07:41:49 GMT
From: elroy!grian!alex@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Pournelle)
Subject: Antonin Dvorak?
"Noel Cragg - Composer at large..." <SNC0243@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu> writes:

>Well, not quite, but he does share a last name.  This question, I'm sure, has
>been asked several times before:

>     "How do I turn my QWERTY keyboard into a DVORAK one?"

Remember that Dvorak the composer is pronounced differently than the
keyboard inventor and the columnist.  And, yes, John D. is August D.'s
grandson.

>Last:  I own a Tecmar MacDrive 10.  I'd like to sell it.  Here's the catch -
>the circuitry is just fine, but the physical disk has 4 errors.  The software
>won't let you use the drive with bad blocks.

You can prolly use someone else's hard-disk formatting software to
formattify and map out the bad blocks.

	Alex

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 17:01:05 CST
From: attctc!vitsun!jekyll!nathan@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Nathan Banks)
Subject: AppleTalk File Servers

I just recently purchased a 512e Mac which I upgraded to SCSI and 2.5M
of memory. I also purchased an EhMan 80M drive. The drive came with
AppleShare. I have an old "BabyMac (128k) which has 2M of memory.

I have old DB9 AppleTalk cables which appear to work as a friend brought over
NetTrek to test the wires. NetTrek probably only uses the LinkLayer facilities
that are in the SCC chip and does not rely upon the "transport/network"
software in AppleShare (?).

So how does one set up an AppleShare file server? Chooser "sees" AppleShare
but reports no available servers. Access Priviledges concurs that there are
no availble servers. I am under the impression that the solution is very
simple like creating a directory of some special name, right?

Help!

Addicted to antiquanted Macintoshes,

nathan
{attctc, convex}!vitsun!nathan

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6 Feb 90 16:26 CST
From: Alexander Rubli <RUBLI%UDLAPVMS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: casio to mac interface

>From:     "Kevin Siddons -- Campus Drug and Alcohol" <KS06@LEHIGH>
>Subject:  Casio 7500/Mac Interface
>To:       "Alexander Rubli" <rubli@udlapvms>

>I am interested.

>If you have read InfoMac 8-022, someone from Apple Computer is saying
>that there is 'some weird handshaking' going on between Casio and
>any other computer.  The basic message I got out of the response
>was to just buy the casio product.  The guantlet has been thrown!

>What can you tell me about the cable?  Is there any problem between
>the voltage levels of the Casio and the Mac?  I am all ears (or eyes
>as the case may be).  Again, I'll summarize for the net (I want to
>respond to the Apple Computer comment).

>Kevin Siddons

Indeed, the protocol is not straightforward.

first of all, the rs232 interface is inverted on the casio, you would need
an inverter on the input and the output.
Fortunately on the mac you have a inverted in and out at the ports.Usually when
you connect something to the mac you use rx- and tx-, these are the normal rs232
signals. with the casio you will be using the rx+ and Tx+ connections.
When you print from the casio, you can receive the information with any com-
unication program, perhaps you have to strip out those lf's if you will dump
it on a text processing program.
I conected a 1kOhm resistor between signals.
To receive info from mac to the casio, it's a bit more complicated. It receives
in Hex you have to calculate the checksum on each field.
There is a special comunication protocol, to diferenciate between memo, tel,
bussinescard and shedule formats and wheter the record is marked or unmarked.
I made an application based on hypercard. To receive and send cards of
inmformation. There is a special button that transaltes from excell sheets to
bussiness card or tel format. It is fully functional,though I hjave to work
on  documentation.

A friend of mine made another application for mac to casio comunication, it's
conception is a bit different, you can write him directly to JAIME@UDLAPVMS
his name is Jaime Iturbe.

I will prepare you my stack and send it to you this week, also the diagramm of
the interface.

I was thinking offering my program as shareware, I spend quite a long time and
work descifring the protocols, and constructing the stack with no help at all.

I'd like to hear your commentaries . . .

------------------------------

Date: 6 Feb 90   09:37 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Double-printing Laser-printed sheets

Date: 6 February 1990, 09:31:14 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: Double-printing Laser-printed sheets

Clint Hyde asked this in an earlier Digest:
>...is there any harm in running paper through a laser-printer twice?  We
>need to print some unusual things, and this turns out to be the only way to
>get what we want.
>
>Is the printer (or the paper, for that matter) going to suffer?

Hewlett-Packard, which uses the same Canon engines in their printers, says
that running a laser-printed page back through the engine to print ON THE SAME
SIDE again can damage the drum.  It's not meant to encounter fused toner at
that stage of the process, and the fused toner can come off the paper and
stick to the drum more or less permanently.  Of course, you can duplex your
paper (print on both sides) without problems.

H-P told me that putting the paper through twice and thereby damaging the
drum constituted abuse and voided the warranty (-WHEW!-).  They may not have
been right, but they were sure adamant.

Ted
|    |   |Theodore Allan Morris                  |231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
|    |   |University of Cincinnati Med. Ctr.     |Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
 |__|--- |Med. Ctr. Information & Communications |513-558-6046 W, 731-3451 H
   |     |Information Research and Development   |WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
Go  |___ |=======================================|or AppleLink U1091
Bearcats!| Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'! |(you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: 7 Feb 90 04:04:00 EST
From: "Jeffrey Templon" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: DVI to Imagewriter - Looking for a Project?

Hi,

	This is in response to Alan Stein's question earlier about
getting DVI material (e.g. from OzTex) printed out on the Imagewriter.
There is a gentleman named (Nelson?) Beebe, BEEBE@science.utah.edu,
who has a large package of DVI-to-<your favorite printer here>
translators or drivers, whatever you want to call them. One of the
printers listed is the Imagewriter. Unfortunately, the code just
converts and is written to be compiled on something like a DOS or
Unix system, NOT on the Mac. He indicated willingness to help someone
get started making an actual Mac program (he supplies the conversion,
someone else supplies the Mac shell.) Any takers? I am afraid that my
Mac programming skills are a long way away from this one (besides the
looming dissertation...)

				Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90  15:21:22 EST
From: ZAK@cu.nih.gov
Subject: DVORAK SWITCHER

>      "How do I turn my QWERTY keyboard into a DVORAK one?"

There are a number of freeware/shareware DAs that will toggle back and
forth between QWERTY and DVORAK with a click of the mouse.  I have one at
home.  Unfortunately, I work in an IBM mainframe shop, so I'm unable to use
my DA in work.  In any case, try your local users group; if that doesn't
work, try:

            Budgetbytes
            P. O. Box 2248
            Topeka, KS  66601

1-800-356-3551 to order by phone (M-F 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST)
1-913-266-2200 for software information and customer service
1-913-266-2288 for technical support (M-F, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST)

Ask them for their catalog, or ask them on which disk the Dvorak
switcher resides.

Of course, Info-Mac probably has one in the archives...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 90 16:00:34 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Events

Help. I am writing a program which has at least one tool window. On
double-clicking the tool window, another window comes on. The problem is,
the second window always get sent to the back of the tool window instead of
to the front. Something in my inContent handler must be wrong.
The following pseudocode illustrates:

case inContent:
     if (whichWindow != FrontWindow())
     {
        SelectWindow (whichWindow);
        SetPort (whichWindow);
     }
     else {
        if (DblClick()) {
           SetPort (whichWindow);
           HandleDblClick (whichWindow);
        }
        else {
           SetPort (whichWindow);
           HandleInContent (whichWindow);
        }
     break;

The second window is created inside HandleDblClick, which calls
ShowWindow and SetPort. But this second window always get sent to the back
after making a very brief appearance in front.
Please, can anyone tell me what's wrong???
Maybe my DblClick is wrong. Can anyone tell me how to write code to handle
doube clicking???? Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 23:04:43 est
From: cornell@umass-gw.cs.umass.edu (Matthew Cornell)
Subject: GNU Emacs on MacOS !?

Does anyone know of a version of the GNU Emacs program hacked and
compiled for the MacOS? I know it's for Unix but I thought it might be
possible to remove the Unix parts and still have a usable program
(maybe not but it's an excellent program for some jobs and you never
know until you ask).

Matthew Cornell
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01002
cornell@cs.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90 17:07:33 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: HARD DISK

I have a CMS Platinum 600 Meg harddisk which crashed once. It was repaired
and I was using it today when for apparent reason, three folders simply
disappeared!!!
A check with SUM II showed that the directory is corrupted. It can't be
viruses because I check it almost everyday with Disinfectant 1.6.
Either the hardware is bad or there is something wrong with the finder.
Can it because of the 2000 files limit? I don't understand that limitation as
I have more than 3000 files on it. So please, can anyone help me???

Please reply to ISSTTH@NUSVM.BITNET
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90 22:17:11 +0100
From: Pottie Karl <GHGAQBA%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac+ speeds

There seems to be nobody who can give an explanation why Amax is
so much faster than a mac+ and why some mac+ machines are faster
than others. Aren't there any tech-freaks reading this digest ???

By the way: someone posted some speed results of Atari-mac emulators.
            The speed differences there can simply be explained
            by the fact that the atari runs on a slightly higher
            clockspeed. But the amiga runs on a lower clockspeed
            but is considerably faster than both mac and atari.

    Who will tell what is going on ????????????????

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90 22:39:52 +0100
From: Pottie Karl <GUTEST4%BLEKUL10.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: memory

First of all I'd like to thank the people who reacted to
my query about disk-catalog software.(There were too many
reactions to reply personally.)

Now I'm looking for some cheap memory for my Mac+. I'd like to
hear some prices for a 2 Mb upgrade. I live in Belgium, Europe,
so only reactions from this area(Belgium, Netherlands, Germany...)
are of value to me.
Other questions are: who can install this memory for me ?
                     What are the experiences with the company concerned?
                     Is a fan / larger power supply needed ?

Thanks  ...  Karl Pottie GUTEST4@BLEKUL10.BITNET
                         GHGAXBA@BLEKUL10.BITNET
                         GHGAQBA@BLEKUL11.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 90 15:53:06 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: NewHandle hangs!! - replies

The following are replies to my question on why NewHandle hangs - sometimes.

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 90 19:35:32 PST
To: ISSTTH%NUSVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: NewHandle problem

This almost certainly indicates that your application heap has been corrupted
somehow... by a wild-store into memory, or by some other illegal action.

Please note... the technique you've used to work around the problem
(using NewPtr, and then taking the address of a variable containing the
pointer) is NOT safe or legal.  What you are ending up doing is creating
a "fake handle"... a memory cell which holds a pointer, but which is
_not_ located in a proper place in the application heap.  If you pass a
fake handle to the Memory Manager, or to any Toolbox routine which calls
the Memory Manager (e.g. via HLock, etc.), then you risk serious confusion
and will probably end up with a corrupted heap.  If you've used this
technique anywhere else in your program, it may be the cause of the
memory-manager lockup you've seen.

If you have MacsBug or TMON, I suggest that you run your program with
heap-checking turned on... you'll probably find that some fragment of
code is corrupting the heap well before the hang.

One thing to look for:  if you do something like:

        (**handle1).field = NewHandle(x);
or      (*newHandle)->field = NewPtr(y);

then you're risking disaster.  It's a common problem.  The reason is that
many compilers will dereference the handle _before_ calling NewPtr or
NewHandle.  If the memory-allocation call causes the heap to be compacted
or purged, the block referenced by the handle will probably move... and
the dereferenced address will be obsolete.  The result of the NewHandle
or NewPtr will be stored where the block _was_, not where it _is_, and
your program will probably fail messily some time thereafter.

The easy way to fix this is to lock the handle before calling the Memory
Manager.  The better way is to use two steps:

        h = NewHandle(x);
        (**handle1).field = h;

which is safe, and doesn't run the risk of causing heap fragmentation (as
is the case with the handle-locking approach).

Good hunting!
z coherent ames  1/22/90
' Dave Platt          ISSTTH%NUSVM.bitnet  1/20/90 NewHandle problem
 Jan 90 13:33:41 CST

>From: jimg@cs.uri.edu (Jim Gallgher)
To: ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@rice.edu
Subject: NEWHANDLE HANGS!!!

Could it be that you have run out of master pointers? This is a guess based
on my *limited* exposeure to NewHandle.

I would be very interested in hearing the replies you get to this question,
could you post a summary to the net or forward the best answers to me?

Thanks,
James Gallagher
jimg@cs.uri.edu
z jimg cs  1/23/90
' Jim Gallgher        ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET  1/22/90 NEWHANDLE HANGS!!!

>From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@rice.edu>
Subject: Re: NEWHANDLE HANGS!!!

If NewHandle is hanging, I suspect something may be either trashing
memory or the Memory Manager hasn't been initialized properly.  In a
NewHandle call, the free master pointer list is scanned to find the
first available block.  If that's hanging, the likely reason is because
the free master pointer linked list got trashed.

Also, make sure your prototype for NewHandle is correct, e.g., NewHandle
is supposed to get a longint, it's supposed to return a 4 byte handle.
Check if it's prototyped as a Pascal function so the parameter and
return value are pushed/popped on the stack correctly.

- Brian
z ba0k+ andrew  1/22/90
' Brian Patrick Arnol TNG TH               1/21/90*NEWHANDLE HANGS!!!

Thanks to these guys, I found out that I was doing unbalanced locking of
handles, which I think, must have trashed the heap. My program works fine
, at least for now.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 14:16:48 PST
From: shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: PageMaker and PostScript

Hi all,

I would like to know how to read a PostScript image into PageMaker
and then print it?  I have tried everything but it seems not to work.

Thanks,

Shahryar
<shahryar@sutro.sfsu.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90 12:17:03 CST
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Placing Inits on AppleShare Server

There is a method for placing inits/cdevs on an AppleShare'd server volume.
Using a CDEV called InitShare.  According to the instructions, you place
your INITs&CDEVs into a folder and set everything to a read only state.
Then after booting up with InitShare,you can go to the Control Panel and
select the path to the the INITs via a Standard File Dialog. When you reboot,
InitShare will redirect the startup routines to look for the INITS out on the
Server volume.

There are 3 things to note:

  1) Since the author(s) recommend that you lock all the inits in the 'shared'
     folder, you cannot place any init or cdev that writes information back to
     itself.  Suitcase and Master Juggler are 2 such examples.

  2) The Docs state that using it in association with Broadcast will cause a
     crash.

  3) Depending on the size of your LAN, it might increase the startup time for
     the individual users due to the Server having to do some of the startup
     stuff that was originally delegated to the boot disk.  Also, network load
     and slowdowns might become just that much more noticible.

InitShare is archived as /info-mac/init/init-share.hqx

And now for a question I have on InitShare:

Using a IIx (4/80) with the usual smattering of inits & System 6.0.4, Every
time I try to set the path via the Control Panel, I experience a halt.  Not
a crash, just a stoppage.  I looked and there was no activity on the server
drive and no net traffic from the IIx.

Has anyone else seen this?? Or does anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Thanks in advance.

-=-Michael Farlow          X098MF @ TAMVM1.BITNET
   Micro Specialist (Mac)  X098MF @ TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU
   Computer Services Center
   Texas A&M Univeristy

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6 Feb 90 19:39:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Scott Hunter Morgan <sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Poscript on a LaserJet!?!

There is a company out there that sells software that will turn
any non-postscript laserprinter into a postscript printer(supposedly).
A friend of mine managed to get a copy for roughly 295.  Unfortunately
I have no idea what the name of the company is, but maybe someone out
in network land might know.

-Scott Morgan
sm5g@andrew.cmu.edu.HELL.NO.SLEEP.AHHHHHH!!!

------------------------------

Date: 6 Feb 1990 23:42:45 EST
From: Akshay.K..Deshpande@cracs.arl.utexas.edu
Subject: Printing Mac files on other machines.

Thanks for every one's response to my query about printing Mac files on other
machines.

Thanks to Russ Evans for sending me "macps-shar" files, which is also available
>From sumex-aim.stanford.edu via anonymous ftp.

For those who have asked me to summarize the process:

1) Get macps-shar from sumex. It available under: info-mac/unix/macps-22.shar.
2) Unarchive it and read the Installation file. It will tell you about what you
   need to do in order to tell the config where the necessary files reside.
3) Run the make & your executables are ready.
4) On the Mac select the LaserWriter from your chooser.
5) For an empty file, choose the print menu & select OK. IMMEDIATELY press and
   hold COMMAND-K key until you see a box informing the Postscript file is
   being created. (I hold the COMMAND key as I select the OK & immediately
   press K key to make sure the there is minimum time lag).
6) The file created will usually be in the same folder as the Application you
   are using. (I was using Word & the postscript file was created in the same
   folder).
7) For the file you want to print, select OK from the print menu, press & hold
   the COMMAND-F key IMMEDIATELY after the selection until you get the box
   indicating that a postscript file is being generated.
   (Note: The files created are named PostScriptx, where x is from 0 to 9. It
    start with 0 and increments by 1 if a file already exists)
8) Tranfer these files to the machine which has the laser printer.
9) On the other machine Check to see if there is any crap from the transfer &
   remove it.
10) Run the prepfix (one of the two executables created by the make) as follows
    prepfix "filename" > LaserWriterx.y, where the "filename" refers to the
    file transferred from the Mac which was created by the COMMAND-K method,
    x.y refers to the Version of the LaserPrep file.
11) Now print the necessary file as follows:
    macps "filename" | lpr.

(This process is also explained clearly in the documentation you get with the
 macps-22.shar file).

Lastly, the setup: we have Sun 3 running SunOS 3.4 connected to Laser Writer
Plus. We also have Sun 3 running SunOS 4.x connected to LaserWriter SC which
I have'nt tried. Generally, there should be no problems on Unix systems.

-akshay

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90 11:16:47 EDT
From: AAT%VTMSL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Printing out Scanned color images at 300dpi

Date: 06 February 1990, 11:15:59 EDT
>From: Asif Taiyabi              (703) 231-3501       AAT      at VTMSL
      Management Systems Lab.
To:   info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

My problem : Trying to print out scanned color files at 300 dpi.

Hardware : A Mac IIcx, Microtek MSF-300Z, Tektronix 4693DX color printer

Software : PhotoMac 1.1, Pixelpaint, Digital Darkroom.

I am scanning the image at 300 dpi, 100 % scaling in TIFF 24 bit  color
format, but when i open the scanned image in PhotoMac it displays it at
about  4 times the actual size as the monitor resolution
is around 75 dpi.When I try to print the image out to the printer i get
the same 4X size which i don't want, scaling it with the software puts
bands in the picture which is not desireable.

When i try and scale the image while scanning (ie. at 25 %) the file size
does not relate to what one might expect from a 300 dpi image and I
suspect that it is scanning it at a lower resolution. The printer output
reinforces this doubt.

So has anyone out there encountered this problem before ? How does one
print out scanned images at 300 dpi ? The printer claims that it can
print out at 300dpi, but I don't think I am getting 300dpi, more like
75 dpi.

Any help will be appreciated and I will summarize to the net.

Asif Taiyabi  AAT@VTMSL
Management System Lab.
Blacksburg, VA 24060

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 13:16:50 EST
From: Mohamad Daimon <daimon@hydra.bucknell.edu>
Subject: Prototyper 2.1 Demo

This is a demo version of Prototyper 2.1 from Smethers-Barnes.  The code
generators are not included in the demo version.

-Mo
daimon@hydra.bucknell.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/prototyper-21-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/demo/prototyper-21-part2.hqx; 100K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 09:54 EST
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Quill Desk accessory

Attached is a DA called Quill. It allows one to read
MacWrite 5.0, Word 3.0+, and Text files. I have found
it indispensible.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/quill.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 16:50 PST
From: MDIEHR@hmcvax.claremont.edu
Subject: SID (Low cost ($20) Sound Input Device)

>From MacWeek, 6-Feb-90

There is now an alternative to commercial sound digitizers for the Macintosh:
SID (Sound Input Device).  From Eric Gould, Jeffrey Siegel and Dave Fleck
[...] comes a schematic for building your own digitizer with less than $20
worth of electronic parts.  A sample application is included in the kit, along
with software source code [...] The kit is available free from on-line
services and users groups. [...]

Has anyone seen this?  If so, please post to the net.
Thanks
M. Diehr
IN%"mdiehr@hmcvax.edu"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 13:55:48 EST
From: JQUIGGIN%UMDD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Subsets

Thanks to those who replied to my message on subsets.

I received the following info in reply to my message

Option-n Shift-A   proper subset
Option-n Shift-O   subset
Option-` Shift-A   not a subset
Option-;           proper superset
Option Spacebar    superset

Best wishes

John Quiggin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 11:48 EST
From: Doug Hardie <Hardie@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>
Subject: Wingz won't Launch?

Wings Version 1.0 has a bug for the Mac+ running Multifinder.  It won't
launch properly.  This bug has been fixed in version 1.1 which is
available.

I found that Informix will send you a set of upgrade disks, but they
won't send you the new manuals that go with th.  they recommend you go
back through whoever you bought it from and get them to upgrade it.
They are supposed to do it for free and you will get the new manuals.
The new manuals are much better than the old.

In the mean time, you can make Wingz work by comming up with finder.
launch Wingz and create a file and save it.  Doesn't matter what you put
in that file.  Then you can run from multi-finder.  You must
double-click on the file to start Wingz.  Do not start from the Wingz
application, it will still bomb.  Starting from a file works fine.

-- Doug

End of Info-Mac Digest