Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/13/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 12 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  27

Today's Topics:
                         Cellular Automata ?
                            Eradicatem 1.0
                       Escaped Lisas for Sale.
                        Flash-It INIT V.1.1b2
         HARD DRIVE BACKUPS ON SPECTRE GCR MACINTOSH EMULATOR
                                Help!
                            Hypercard 2.0
                      Hypercard Developer Stack?
                           Kermit downloads
                      Mac C Development Options?
                  MacMach, Scheme and David's Sling
                Monaco Font sizes and Russian Software
                                OzTex
                        Pascal matrix routines
                                  PC
                             please post
                      searching laserNTX utility
                               sid.sit
                          SignalEditor v1.21
                              TrashMover
                       why Johnny can't write?
                   Writing on Macs vs PCs (2 msgs)

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 22:53 EST
From: "Harry E. Bates" <E7P2BAT@toe.towson.edu>
Subject: Cellular Automata ?

Hello net,

In the January 1990 issue of Scientific American I read an article on cellular
automata.  I was quite intrigued by Brian Silverman's Phantom Fish Tank
and its Wire World.  I wonder if anyone knows if such a program is available
for the Mac.  Also, I wonder if anyone can suggest references to similar
articles or perhaps a discussion list that would be likely to include cellular
automata as a topic.

Thanks in advance for any help?

Harry E. Bates
Department of Physics
Towson State University
Baltimore, MD 21204
(301) 830 - 2441
Bitnet: HBATES@TOWSONVX

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 Feb 90 17:45:07 -0500 (EST)
From: "H. Matthews" <hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Eradicatem 1.0

   Has anyone else out there had problems with eradicat'em under multifinder?

    I keep getting sys err 01 on booting...

Post here or e-mail

to hm0i@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6-Feb-90 15:25:42 PST
From: ws@cup.portal.com
Subject: Escaped Lisas for Sale.

A recent story bemoaned the destruction of unsold Lisas at the hand
of a cold cruel Apple Computer which found it cheaper to dump them in
a landfill than get rid of them some other way. Well, i received a
catalog from "Comb Liquidators" ($19 gold chains, 300-baud modems and
such) this week that offers a Lisa 2/Mac XL package with 1MB RAM,
a 10MB hard drive, and MacWrite and MacPaint for $999. Looks like at
least some Lisas escaped their fate.
-wiley
"ws@cup.portal.com"

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 90   18:23 PST
From: TOGE%SLACVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Flash-It INIT V.1.1b2

Flash-It is an INIT which allows you to use COMMAND-SHIFT-C to copy the
screen image to the clipboard, and COMMAND-SHIFT-S to save the clipboard
picture to a PICT file.  The screen-saving works whether Color QuickDraw
is being used, and whether a menu is pulled-down/popped up.  The cross-
cursor lets the user to select the screen area to be saved. See attached
TeachText note for details.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/flash-it-11b2.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: 07 FEB 90 14:02:37 CST
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HARD DRIVE BACKUPS ON SPECTRE GCR MACINTOSH EMULATOR

Hello all,

    Does anyone have access to DiskFit, a hard drive backup program?
I ask this in hopes of finding a suitable hard drive backup utility
for the Spectre GCR, the ATari Macintosh emulator.
    Though Spectre's hard drive access and use is fast and solid, it
is lacking in backup abilities, with the exception of David Small's
MegaMinute Image Backup program.  Though solid and fast, the program is
primitive.
    David Small recommends a program and gives the reason for
the problem below:

"As for HD Backup, the only name I've heard is DiskFit. Many do not
work because we don't use Apple's SCSI dispatcher... which would be, err,
entertaining."

    Obviously, the Atari ST doesn't have the same SCSI hardware as
the Mac.  Most Mac backup programs need the SCSI hardware which the
Atari ST does not have.  Apparently, DiskFit does not access this
hardware.
    Question.  Is it available?  Commercial?  Shareware?  Freeware?
    I appreciate the courtesy extended by the net in allowing me
to request for informative help regarding "a Mac clone".

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 Feb 90  18:20:36 EST
From: Damian%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Help!

Well, after months of trying different programs I need some
help!  I need an integrated Word processor/Database.  Does
anyone know about such a beast?  I'm desparate.  I've tried:
Hypercard, Supercard, Double Helix, and looked at Foxbase,
and 4D without any luck.  I've also examined Fullwrite, Word,
and Nisus.  Any ideas out there?

Damian Roskill
damian@mars.ucc.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90 15:17:05 GMT
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL%liverpool.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Hypercard 2.0

Anybody care to speculate what will be in Hypercard 2.0?

What would you like to see?

Send details to me and I'll summarise it for the net.

Kevin 'fractal' Purcell          "The people who make the changes are the
kpurcell @ liverpool.ac.uk        people who have the knowledge"
Surface Science                              James Burke, "Connections"
Liverpool University

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 Feb 90 08:27:40 PST
From: AEIC0456%VAX1.CENTRE.QUEENS-BELFAST.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Hypercard Developer Stack?

Anyone know where I can get the latest Hypercard Developer Stack
(not in archives) or even the current whereabouts of Steve Drazga.

George Munroe, Queens University Belfast

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 90 16:00:27 CST
From: Marc Cooper <MAC566F%SMSVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermit downloads

I have a Mac SE/30 running system 6.04 attached to 9600 baud data switch (ISN)
giving me access to an IBM mainframe. There are only a few Macs on campus, and
mine is one of the very few on the data switch. The Mac and Kermit 9.4 make a
nice terminal combination. However, downloads run consistently very slowly.
MacKermit reports that the real data transfer rate is only about 1800 baud.
I have the packet length set at 90 bytes, timeouts at 7 seconds, etc.
I have tried Red Ryder with even poorer results, and Kermit 9.8 produces NAKs
and no data transfer at all.
The systems gurus here are not familiar with Mac in/out, and
while they are sympathetic, they have not been helpful. Any ideas from netland
will be appreciated.
Acknowledge-To: <MAC566F@SMSVMA>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 07:17:30 PST
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Mac C Development Options?

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I have a pile of C source that was developed under my Megamax compiler a
>few years ago.  Megamax is amongst the dear departed now and the compiler
>does not run under Sys 6.0.2 which I am now using.  I would like to
>recompile some of the old C applications.  You've all heard this question
>ebfore - no doubt ... Do I spend the money on yet another  3rd-party C
>compiler (which seems to mean THINK-C these days) or move over to (the more
>expensive, but Apple supported) MPW (assuming C is available there)???

>Any other suggestions are welcomed.  Also whatever happened to Aztec-C??

>My current configuration is: Mac+/1MB RAM/40MB Quantum HD.

Well, your current configuration precludes MPW unless you're going to spring
for more memory.  Additionally, you won't be able to use THINK's source-level
debugger in 1MB.  Aztec C is still around (SmartForms Designer and Assistant
were written with it, for example), although they don't advertise much --
Manx is on a large number of platforms and it figures to be around for a
while (they make Aztec C).
--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 90 15:01:14 GMT
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL%liverpool.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: MacMach, Scheme and David's Sling

Hi folks,

1. Whatever happened to MacMach: a Mach like unix run as an application?
   Is it avalible from anywhere?

2. Is there a public domain Scheme interpreter or compiler for the Mac?

3. The SF book "David's Sling" has an ad for a HyperCard stack of the book.
   I tried the 800 number last year but it was dead. Anybody have a copy
   that they can pass on (if legal) or anybody know who was distributing it.
   Anybody from Xanadu care to rattle Mark Stiegler's chain (as he wrote it).

4. Anybody using Hypercard around an experimental lab for keeping track of data
   acting like a lab notebook, controling experiments and willing to swap
   stacks and/or ideas? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance on all the above.

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 16:58 EDT
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Monaco Font sizes and Russian Software

Hello,

     Can anyone recommend any Russian Language instructional software
for the mac.  Our Russian department recently received a grant for a
mac, and is looking for software for it.  The levels will span from
beginning Russian to Advanced (0-3 years).

Also,

     Where can I get other font sizes for Monaco.  I have 9 and 12, but
I would really like more than just this.  My system software 6.0.4 did
not come with any other sizes.
     Does anyone have them?  Would then send them to me?  stuffed and
binhexed, of course.

                                             Thanks-a-bndl,

                                             Spencer Zawasky
                                             President
                                             Bitnet/Users Group
                                             Wheaton College
                                             SZawasky@WheatNMA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 06:59:35 EST
From: Ted Charrette <charrett@erl.mit.edu>
Subject: OzTex

Wow, I was really impressed with the review Oztek got in today's
info-mac.  Does it make standard "dvi" files?  Have BibTex built in?
Have all the neat environments (table, figure, itemize, etc) that
Textures does?

Where can I get a copy?  Since it's public-domain, would someone post it
here?   Thanks.

				- Ted

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 07:20:25 PST
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Pascal matrix routines

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Does anyone know of a library of Pascal (preferably Turbo, or compatible)
>functions for matrix manipulation (including inversion) and statistical
>processing of matrix data?

Before Borland lowered its profile in the Mac market (this is a polite way
of saying that they were going to "harvest" their Mac products while
ignoring enhancement and bug fixes), they released the "Numerical Methods
Toolbox" for Turbo and it has the routines you require within it (inc. source).

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 90 16:55:24 EST
From: Dave <UOG91198%UOGUELPH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PC

How can I hook up a PC hard drive to a Mac.  What changes are needed?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 16:29 CST
From: "JOHN E. GASTINEAU" <GASTINEJ%LAWRENCE.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: please post

Please post this note to info-mac.  Thanks!

Here's my problem:  I have a lone Mac IIci in a lab full of
VAXstation 3100s.  The VAXstations are linked by ethernet, and are
served by a VAXserver 3500.  One of the VAXstations has a post-
script print queue running on it, and drives a DEC LN03R
postscript laser printer connected to a serial port. Is there any way
to include the Mac in the network so that it can print to the LN03R
just by giving the print command in any mac application?  I know of
various commercial products that link VAXen and Macs for file sharing
purposes, but how about printing?

I'd appreciate any help--respond to me, and I'll post a summary.

John Gastineau
Lawrence University
gastinej@lawrence.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 Feb 90 11:54 CST
From: Alexander Rubli <RUBLI%UDLAPVMS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: searching laserNTX utility

I lost my diskette of utilities for the laser NTX.
I need the program than initializes the hard disk attached to
the Laserwriter. Anybody can tell me where I might get it, or could
somebody send it to me
                        please ?

           A group of desesperate people will apreciate it

      THANX

Alexander Rubli
University of las Americas - puebla (mexico)
        RUBLI@UDLAPVMS

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 19:49:48 cst
From: Chuck Shotton <cshotton@girch1.hsch.utexas.edu>
Subject: sid.sit

Welcome to the world of SID!  SID is the joint effort of three Macintosh enthusiasts who want to give something back to the industry.  The Mac community has given us so much over the last few years that we put some of our energy together to produce a royalty-free hardware and software sound input device.  Our sincere hope is that SID can be used to help promote the value of the Macintosh and provide the industry with friendlier applications including sound input.  Think of SID as our attempt at creating a

RkindUer, gentler nation...S

This SID release is made up of the following:

	SID Press Release - the press release announcing the release of SID
	SID Hardware  -  hardware theory of operations and parts list
	SID Schematic  -  schematic for the SID hardware
	SID Software  -  documentation for the software driving routines
	HearHere.c  -  C source code for the software driver  HearHere (Think C)
	HearHere.h  -  source code of the symbolic references in HearHere
	SID Test Util.c  -  source code for a test utility application (Think C)
	SID Test Util - executable test utility application
	About SID  -  this file

Any product development team is like a Rock Un Roll band.  Each must work together, using each others strengths to produce quality.  Our band includes:

	On lead guitar:  Eric Gould
	Coordinated the hardware and software into a cohesive product
	and led the team to produce a commercial-quality product.

	On keyboards (literally):  Jeffrey Siegel
	Designed all of the software and had the idea for starting the
	band in the first place.

	On drums:  Dave Fleck
	Created a first class hardware product without the need for extra
	power, cables, or batteries.

We look forward to hearing from you.  Individually, we can be reached through a variety of electronic means including:  MCI Mail, AppleLink, MacNet, CompuServe, and the Twilight Clone BBS in Silver Spring, Maryland (301) 946-5032.

The SID hardware, software, documentation, and test program are all:
Copyright 1990 by The SID Trio, All Rights Reserved

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/sid.hqx; 138K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 15:09 EST
From: steve knight <SDK4102%RITVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SignalEditor v1.21

  This is a program for editing/analysis of digitized sound files.
It can handle 'FSSD' files (8 bit), MacSpeechLab/MacAdios files (12
bit), and 'DATA' files (assumes 16 bit).  With System 6.0 or later
it can play out the file with no additional hardware (it will run on
pre-6.0 versions, but there will be no D-A conversion).
  Currently, analysis is in the form of waterfall spectrograms and
power spectrum displays with marking abilities (5 marks, the frequency
at that point is displayed above the spectrum).  All windows are
printable.
  The stuffit file needs to be decoded, and contains SignalEditor doc
listing changes from the previous version (not necessary, but some comments
in it might be useful), SignalEditor (runs on all versions of Mac from Mac+ on
up), and SignalEditor II (uses 68020/68881 and later chips, much faster).

  Support and suggestions are welcome.

- Stephen Knight

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/signal-editor-121.hqx; 156K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 16:18 CST
From: PFTERRY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Subject: TrashMover

Enclosed is a copy of the Trashcan Mover application and documentation. It
allows you to place the trashcan anywhere on the desktop. You can even set
it for another monitor if you have more than one.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/trashcan-mover.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 90 14:19:50 EST
From: Mark Seidenberg <INMK%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: why Johnny can't write?

About the professor who thinks that Macintoshes breed poorer
writing than IBMs:  Sounds like an artifact to me, probably
related to how the papers looked, not their content.  In
general, Macintosh output looks nicer than IBM output.  This
could have 2 effects on judged quality of writing:

1. people do less editing on papers when the printed output
looks good.  There is an illusion, familiar to people who have
switched from dot-matrix printers to laser-printing, that
papers that LOOK like nice crisp final versions must BE final
versions.  I mean, the moon looks bigger when it's closer to the
horizon, but that doesn't mean it really IS.

2.  similarly, the professor could have had a worse impression
of the Macintosh papers because there was a bigger
discrepancy between how they looked (great, all those nice
type fonts and styles) and how they read (cruddy, just like the
IBM-produced ones).

So, to do the experiment properly, you'd have to let the
students use different computers to compose the texts, but
print them out in a common format (e.g., same type font, same
printer).

Don't education professors have better things to spend their
time on?  Like why Johnny can't READ?

Something completely different:  what about 9600 baud
modems? Can they be used with garden-variety phone lines?
Is there a significant loss in transmission reliability?

Mark Seidenberg
inmk@mcgillb.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 08:26:00 EST
From: lti2!reg@lti.uucp (Rick Genter x18)
Subject: Writing on Macs vs PCs

I think Prof. Halio is trying to find a convenient excuse for the poor
quality of the work, rather than looking at the bigger problem: the pathetic
state of education in this country.
					- reg

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 90 13:56:02 CST
From: UC445252%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu

What a crock __ ____!  Don't get me wrong, I did not read this study, but
>From Graeme Forbes description, the study was as scientific and unbiased as
bloodletting...

According to Graeme's synopsis of Halio's article, Mac's cause poor writing as
verified by a test with no control whatsoever. Even with my single course in
statistics I can sense this travesty of justice! It may be fair to say that
writers with lesser skill may be attracted the ease of the Macintosh. This can
make the process of writing (which is VERY painful to those of us who are poor
writers) almost pleasant.

It may even be assumed that "Good writers" (people who feel good about their
writing, people who have been writing for quite a while because they feel good
about it) have been using IBM type "archaic" word-processors since before Macs
were readily available. Naturally, people tend to stick with software that
they are used to. Easier-to-use software may not be preferable to I-already-
know-how-to-use software.

Be careful, utilities such as VAX text analysis may seem to give credibility
to such a study, but the results are meaningless with the shoddy testing used.
You could have experts scan this BITNOTE for days, and there would be no way
to tell whether the poor writing was because of factor A (poor writing skills)
or factor B (an easy-to-use word-processor).

Macintosh should be commended for making writing an easier and less painful
experience. More people write down their ideas, now that we have Macs. (I
realize I have no proof, but I'm not publishing an article) Without them, we
(poor writers) find ways around writing.

P.S.  Please ignore the spelling and grammar used in this BITNOTE, it was
      composed on an IBM mainframe, where it is seldom worth the effort needed
      to proofread and spell-check!

Outraged by the ignorance and injustice of this "study" (I use the term
lightly)....
Gre7g.

             (this space intentionally left blank)

End of Info-Mac Digest