Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/16/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 15 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  32

Today's Topics:
                  32-bit Quickdraw and GWorldPtrs...
                          3D-fractal source
                      analog simulation packages
              Background Downloading (ie,Multi-Tasking)
                  Bitcopy vs. other methods (Help!)
                         BITNET mail follows
                           DiskFit Request
                     GNU Emacs for MacOS results
                           Help Me Please!
             Mac II-series probx w/formatting HD floppies
                      Mouse Freezing on Mac IIci
             Multiple comm sessions with TSSnet under HC?
                     Offscreen pixmap techniques
        PageMaker-Postscript Replies to Info-Mac Digest V8 #23
                     Problems With Print Monitor

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 21:55 EDT
From: JACKSON@mecan1.maine.edu
Subject: 32-bit Quickdraw and GWorldPtrs...

Help
I want to create an offscreen graphics world using the routines described in
the Preliminary Developer Note. I'm following the code example fairly closely,
except that I want to create an 8-bit offscreen world no matter what screens
are available (I want to support some simple image processing on the Mac II and
SE/30).

I've tried using THINK Pascal and THINK C (maybe that's the problem) and the
interfaces  from AppleLink "QuickDraw32Bit.p" and "QuickDraw32Bit.h". I've also
thrown the "32-Bit QuickDraw" document in my System Folder. (The demos I run
>From AppleLink indicate that everything's OK from that end.)

Here's the symptoms (I'm developing this application on the SE/30): I have an
object class "TImage" which has an instance variable "pix: GWorldPtr". I
initialize it,

    result := newGWorld(pix, 8, envelope, NIL NIL []);

and the pix becomes NIL. If I change my requested pixelDepth to 0 or 1 I get
back a valid GWorldPtr, but I hang everything if I try to call SetGWorld on it.
All I want to do is be able to have an eight-bit deep offscreen world for
reading in PICT files and the like, and it sounds like the GWorld solution is
perfect for me, except that it doesn't work. Am I doing something totally
wrong?
I'm using System 6.04. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jax

jackson@mecan1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90  11:39:57 EST
From: Juggler%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: 3D-fractal source

Hello.  I seem to remember someone mentioning some 3D fractal source code
that was supposed to be in the sumex-aim archives.  Where is it?  I'm work-
ing on a 3D Mandelbrot set program and wish to see other examples of 3D
fractals.  If there is no such source (or application) in the archives,
could someone send me same?  If there is, could someone point the way?

                         Thanx in advance!

 .l
oops                               - Jack Carson

Disclaimer: Dat claimer, de other claimer...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 09:06:46 EST
From: msaizan@relay.nswc.navy.mil
Subject: analog simulation packages

My brother is interested in analog circuit simulation packages for the Mac.
The two most common seem to be MacSpice and PSpice.
These programs cost about $2,000 each so he'd like to get some info before
plopping down that much cash.  I have no experience in this area.
Can anyone in netland help me out?
Thanks.
Mike
NSWC, Dahlgren, VA

msaizan@relay.nswc.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 12:54 EST
From: <MACLAB%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Background Downloading (ie,Multi-Tasking)

Hello,

   My roomate said that he read that NinjaTerm would allow a person to run
downloads while going off to another program (ie, MultiTasking).
One problem is that the manual is not written in english.
  My question is does it allow background up/downloads?

  Is there any program that will allow this?
  Why isn't this a big deal on the Macs, is there some hardware spec that
doesn't allow for background tasks?
  If it is possible, my roommate and I will look into writing a program
that will allow background downloads under Kermit, Xmodem, and MacBinary.

Thanx
Bill Cockayne
 Bitnet:     [Maclab@vuvaxcom]   or    [231841168@vuvaxcom]

[Moderator's Note: What about MultiFinder and VersaTerm or MicroPhone? -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 90   10:01 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Bitcopy vs. other methods (Help!)

Date: 14 February 1990, 09:45:10 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: Bitcopy vs. other methods (Help!)

We have bought a "gamma" test copy of Access Managed Environment, and
want to make a copy of the disk, as they suggest, with their parameter
file (created on your hard disk when you set up the configuration), onto
a new disk that you can carry around to new machines under the same
license and install them with the same parameters set you created on the
first machine.

The problem is, that they say you have to use a bitcopy method to move
the information from their system's floppy to the copy.  Since their
system disk already has 779K (on an 800K floppy) filled, there's no way
we know of to move that information to a larger floppy (1.4M) under
"bitcopy" methods.

They suggest taking the help file off the copy to make room for the
parameters file from your first workstation's hard disk.  But that means
that we'd have to carry around two disks again, one with the help and
one with the "setup" disk we'd created.  We could just as easily do that
with the licensed system disk and a separate floppy with the parameters
file!  The whole idea is to try to make one floppy that we can carry
around to set up the several workstations we're putting this onto.

We're hoping to use this on about 10-11 Macs, which would mean big bux
for Casady & Greene, (10-pack license will be $1495), so I wish they
could have been more helpful...

Any suggestions about 800Kdisk=>1.4Mdisk bitcopy to help create a 1-disk
installation environment?  Since we're working with disk-protection software
here in the first place, where one bad disk can ruin your whole day, we hate
to have to juggle too many disks around if we can make copies and backups of
a single disk environment for this product.

Thanks,

Ted
|    |   |Theodore Allan Morris                  |231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
|    |   |University of Cincinnati Med. Ctr.     |Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
 |__|--- |Med. Ctr. Information & Communications |513-558-6046 W, 731-3451 H
   |     |Information Research and Development   |WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
Go  |___ |=======================================|or AppleLink U1091
Bearcats!|  No good deed ever goes unpunished.   |(you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 90   09:23 EDT
From: ATSDBL%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: BITNET mail follows

DATE: 05 FEB 90
>From: David B. Lutz <ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET>
SUBJECT: RE:PROBLEMS ACCESSING PRINTERS ON LOCALTALK NETWORK

Thanks to all those who responded to my previous note. To summarize for
those who missed it, we were having problems accessing different
printers through the CHOOSER; a user would select an ImageWriter, but
the printout was coming out on our laserwriter instead. The problem
was caused by the fact that the SYSTEM file was locked (to keep users
>From trashing it); unlocking the SYSTEM file and re-booting made the
problem go away, i.e. output went to the printer selected from the
CHOOSER.

Dave Lutz
ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 21:12 EST
From: WALLACE FELDMAN <FELDMANW%SNYPLAVA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DiskFit Request

To the person who wanted info in Diskfit: (INFOMac #27): The program is
commercial, inexpensive (well under $100 from any mail order house) and
works very well on a Mac. Only an emulator user can tell you how it
will do with an Atari. Good Luck.
Disclaimer: Free advice is worth what you paid for it!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 16:11:41 est
From: cornell@umass-gw.cs.umass.edu (Matthew Cornell)
Subject: GNU Emacs for MacOS results

Thank you for your responses! The final word is GNUEmacs doesn't seem
to be available for the MacOS. Two major reasons were offered:

1) GNUEmacs' code is probably too Unix-tied to be portable (but there
IS a VMS version, I know).

2) "Richard Stallman (the author of GNU) has a STRONG dislike of Apple
(he has a thing against proprietary operating systems)" --Charlie S.
Lindahl

Shannon Spires posted my question to info-gnu-request@prep.ai.mit.edu
(thank you, Shannon). The summarized response:

"The gist of it is that if they did it [ported GNUEmacs to the Mac],
it would be under A/UX, not the normal Mac OS, and even so, they'd
never do it because they have a beef with Apple. The problem is that
they don't like Apple's attitude of patenting its user interfaces and
suing everyone in sight who writes a program that even remotely
resembles the Mac. The Free Software Foundation (the GNU people)
advocate free exchange of software and Apple's attitude rubs them the
wrong way."

What *is* available:
I learned of 2 Emacs in the Sumex archives:

/info-mac/app/microemacs-310a.hqx and
/info-mac/app/macjove-412.hqx

Also of interest:
/info-mac/app/msword-40-emacs-emulator.hqx

>From a quick evaluation, macjove seems more robust especially in the
area of command/file name completion, directory listings, and help.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Matthew Cornell
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01002
cornell@cs.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 23:50:23 EST
From: Roger Smith <ACPS5788%RYERSON.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help Me Please!

Help
  could some one please send me the file sid.sit i am having problems FTP'ing
>From my location. thanks in advance.
                                                          Roger Smith

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 90   10:25 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac II-series probx w/formatting HD floppies

Date: 14 February 1990, 10:16:29 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: Mac II-series probx w/formatting HD floppies

All of a sudden the bulk purchase HD floppies we got from an otherwise
reputable supplier have been failing to initialize in our IIx, IIcx, and IIci
machines.  We thought it was the diskettes until we tried some of our old
Kao and Fuji diskettes (after they had been bulk-erased)--they're not
formatting the HD FDs either!  We've tried 4 different machines so far--is
there some kind of virus, etc., we're not checking for, that's affecting our
FDHD floppy drives in our IIx-series machines?

The diskettes fail the verification stage of the formatting process.

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1990 13:52:51 PST
From: Margret Buckley <buckley@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mouse Freezing on Mac IIci

    Has anyone had problems with the mouse freezing on a Mac IIci?

    We have had this problem on three different IIci's ever since we received
them in December.  The mouse freezing is not at all predictable, it has
happened in Word 4.0, Canvas, the Finder, etc.  I checked the obvious--loose
desktop bus cables, but that is not the problem.

    If you have had this problem, which mouse do you have, the new "low
powered" mouse originally designed for the Mac Portable, or the old one?  (The
easy way to tell:  the back of the old mice rotate, and the back of the new
mice slide toward the bottom.)

    Thank you.

Margret Buckley
SUMEX Computer Project
Knowledge Systems Laboratory
Stanford University
-------

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 90   12:43 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Multiple comm sessions with TSSnet under HC?

Date: 14 February 1990, 12:28:40 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: Multiple comm sessions with TSSnet under HC?

Somebody told somebody told my programmer told me that somebody in the Air
Force has written or is writing an XCMD for Hypercard that will allow or help
manage multiple communications sessions under TSSnet by using a Hypercard
front end rather than the (clunky-for-the-user) dialogs (currently handled as
additional menu options through White Pines' Mac241).

Does anyone out there know anything more--shall we say, "concrete"--about this?

Thanks,

Ted
|    |   |Theodore Allan Morris                  |231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
|    |   |University of Cincinnati Med. Ctr.     |Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
 |__|--- |Med. Ctr. Information & Communications |513-558-6046 W, 731-3451 H
   |     |Information Research and Development   |WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
Go  |___ |=======================================|or AppleLink U1091
Bearcats!| Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'! |(you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 22:15:08 EST
From: michael tarr <tarr-michael@YALE.EDU>
Subject: Offscreen pixmap techniques

I am looking for anyone willing to share LSC 4.0 code fragments that do the
following:

1. Create 1 or more offscreen pixmaps that I can draw or read a PICT2 file
into.
2. Use copybits to move the offscreen maps to the visible window as fast
as possible.

I need to support 8 bit color and full screen images. One possibility is
buying a graphics library sold commercially. Does anyone know if such a
package exists -- there are lots for the IBMPC.

I am also looking for code fragments to force the menu bar to disappear so
that the visible window covers the entire screen.

The reason for all this is that I am an experimental psychologist that wants
to show images on the mac for experiments. The basic idea is to throw up
pictures that have been drawn beforehand as quickly is possible. After the
software is written I plan to distribute it **free** to any psychologists who
are interested in using it. I am rather annoyed at academics who have developed
packages and now sell it without sources -- their stuff won't do what I want
and I can't make use of techniques they have discovered in my own
programs since they won't share. Doesn't seem very neighborly or in the
spirit of the larger intellectual community.

Last question: does anyone know if the EventRecord.when field returned
with a keyDown from WaitNextEvent is always guaranteed to be correct, no
matter what the system was doing at the time the key was pressed?

Thanks,

Mike Tarr
Yale University
tarr@yale.cs.edu or mtarr@yalevm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 12:50 CST
From: <AE00732%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PageMaker-Postscript Replies to Info-Mac Digest V8 #23

>Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 12:35 CST
>From: <AE00732%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject: PageMaker Printing on a DEC PrintServer40?????
>
>PageMaker Printing on a DEC PrintServer40????
>
>I have been sending my macintosh output to new Printerserver 40
>postscript printer that was just hooked up to our network.  I
>use "My-Page-Setup 1.2" to create the postscript files and a
>friend of mine located a modified LaserPrep header file that
>works with the PrintServer 40.
>
>My problem is that PageMaker has its own Laserwriter Driver and
>I cannot get PageMaker file to print.  I have tried Command F and
>Command K and I created the postscript files, but I think I need
>a modified "Aldus Prep" file.
>
>Does anyone know where I might look??
>
>Please either post your responses here on Info-Mac or send them to
>me at:
>        AE00732@SWTEXAS
>
>Todd Ellzey
>Southwest Texas State University
>AE00732@SWTEXAS

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that replied to my response.
I learned all kinds of neat little tricks about printing with PageMaker
that I had no idea about.  One little piece of information that I accidently
left out of my original message was that I have a 512K Mac, and I have been
using version 1.2 of PageMaker.  Unfortunately, version 1.2 does not support
the switching of APD files, or holding the OPTION key down when you click
the OK button in the print dialog box.  Fortunately, I just upgraded my
computer to a 512 enhanced and I am upgrading to version 2.0 of PageMaker.

Here are some of the replies that I received, I hope they are able to help
someone when generating postscript with PageMaker!!!
*.........................................................................
>From:   BITNET%"KSBOLDUAN@amherst"      "The Blue Adept"  6-FEB-1990 12:49:00.22
To:     ae00732@SWTEXAS.BITNET
CC:
Subj:   Pagemaker and Postscript

Todd,

I saw your posting on Info-Mac about generating postscript output from
Pagemaker to print on a PrintServer 40. While you're in Pagemaker, select
PRINT and then hold down OPTION while you hit OK. This will give you a second
dialog box in which you have various options. Select INCLUDE ALDUS PREP
and PRINT POSTSCRIPT TO DISK. This will include the file Aldus Prep which,
UNMODIFIED, prints just fine on the PrintServer 40.

Good luck, and if it still doesn't work, let me know.

Kevin Bolduan '91 Amherst College
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet Address
*........................................................................
>From:   BITNET%"CHGARNETT@amherst"  6-FEB-1990 15:47:57.99
To:     ae00732@SWTEXAS.BITNET
CC:
Subj:   PageMaker printing to a PrintServer 40.

It can be done. By far the easiest way to do it is to use Aldus' driver for
the PrintServer 40, rather than Apple's for the LaserWriter. The only trick to
this is creating the PostScript file. It's done by holding down Option when
you click OK to print. You get a box with all sorts of options, one of which
is "Print PostScript to disk" or something like that.

If you use the Command-F method, you DO need the Apple Laser Prep file, but
it has to be modified to work on the LPS40. This isn't really all that hairy,
but unless you really like playing with ugly postscript, just use the Aldus
driver. If you *do* elect to modify the Apple one, though, anything you
print with it from any application can print on the LPS40.

Good luck!
Craig Garnett
Amherst College
CHGARNETT@AMHERST   (Bitnet)
*........................................................................
>From:   BITNET%"TBLAKE@BINGVAXA"      "Thomas R. Blake"  6-FEB-1990 08:39:08.84
To:     JNET%"ae00732@swtexas"
CC:
Subj:   PageMaker

Todd,

    Try changing to the Apple Driver from within PageMaker's Print Dialog box.

                                                        Tom Blake
                                                        SUNY Binghamton
*...........................................................................
>From:   BITNET%"X098MF@TAMVM1"      "Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab"  6-
FEB-1990 12:09:16.82
To:     Todd Ellzey <ae00732@swtexas>
CC:
Subj:   PageMaker Printing problems...

Todd,

Like you said, PageMaker (PM) has its own prep file that it down loads to the
printer.  But there are a couple of things that you might try to remedy this.

In the print dialog box, toward the bottom, it lists the type of printer and
other options that are set to get the most out of your printer.  Also listed
there is a button that allows you to change these options.  Amongst these
options is the choice of either using LaserWriter Prep or AldusPrep.  Possibly
using the Apple Prep file might solve the problem.

Another method to investigate is the options that you are presented when you
hold down the OPTION key as you click on the OK button.  This brings up another
dialog box that gives you options such as 'Make Aldus Prep Permanent',
'Download BitMap Fonts', and 'Print PostScript to a file'.  Maybe there is an
option there that might solve the problem.

I hope this helps,

-=-Michael Farlow
   Microcomputer Specialist (Mac)
   Computer Services Center
   Texas A&M University
*...........................................................................
>From:   UK%"E_GS18@VAXA.NERC-MURCHISON.AC.UK"      "Russ Evans"  6-FEB-1990 12:2
0:54.84
To:     AE00732@SWTEXAS
CC:
Subj:   I had exactly the same problem with our Scriptprinter ...

>From:   MHVA::E_GS18       "Russ Evans" 15-NOV-1989 11:02:23.84
To:     CBS%ED.ERCM20,E_GA,CBS%NKW.VA::K_DJN,CBS%LANCS.PDSOFT::PDSOFT,
 CBS%NSFNET-RELAY::EDU.STANFORD.SUMEX-AIM::INFO-MAC
CC:     E_GS18
Subj:   Printing Mac files on other machines

Paper copy to : Stuart McHugh, Scotbyte
                Ian Basham, BGS

In recent days, we have purchased an Apple Macintosh SE, one of the first in
our organisation.  Knowing a little, but apparently not enough, about Macs,
I was aware that they produced files in Postscript format, so saw no need to
purchase a laser printer, which would have more than doubled the cost of the
exercise.   In my innocence  I expected that I would be able to 'print' a
document to a Postscript file, transfer the file to the VAX and run it off on
our Postscript printer.  Before purchasing the Mac, I tested the compatibility
of the printer by producing Postscript files on an Atari and an IBM, as well as
on the VAX, and these all printed fine, so I was not anticipating great
problems.  I reckoned without Apple's determination to plough their own furrow.

I tell you this because I have eventually found out how to do it.  Others have
clearly been this way before, but since it is a rough journey over high
terrain, I suspect the numbers are few;  so, by erecting this signpost
(?cairn) I may be able to make the passage a little easier for others.
I have been helped in my journey by those hardy mountain guides, Sam Wilson of
EUCS and Stuart McHugh of Scotbyte, and by my companion on the road, Graeme
Atkinson of NCS.

The first problem I found was how to persuade the Mac to write the printer
commands to a file instead of to the printer itself.  It seems that this
operation is a quite widely known 'undocumented feature' of the Mac.  After
getting the print setup dialogue (where you set up things like number of
copies and which pages you want printed), you exit in the normal fashion and
immediately press and hold down <Apple+F> or <Apple+K>.  (Details of the
difference in just a moment).  However, the code which recognises this command
appears to live in the networked LaserWriter driver, so you have to have that
device installed in your System folder, and the device must be selected using
Chooser.  You must also ensure that Background Printing is not selected.  In
addition, the Mac also seems to be a little fussy about what you have hanging
off the modem port.  When I had mine plugged into our Gandalf PACX terminal
switching system, the Mac complained that it couldn't find the LaserWriter.
The resulting output file is unceremoniously dumped into one of a number of
places, the most likely being the currently selected folder or the folder
corresponding to the application.  It is called Postscriptn, where n is in the
range 0 to 9 - the code selects the lowest free number.

So, we have our Postscript file.   Except that it isn't a Postscript file.
It's semantically Postscript, but it is in fact a series of calls into macros,
verbs, subroutines (whatever they're called in Postscript - you get the idea).
The verbs are defined by Apple in a file which is normally downloaded to the
LaserWriter by the first Mac to use it after it has been switched on.  The
file is called LaserPrep, and the Macintosh manuals tell you to install
LaserPrep alongside the LaserWriter driver in the System folder.  Now you
know why.  I can now also reveal the difference between pressing <Apple+F> and
<Apple+K> in the file creation process.  <Apple+F> simply writes your document
to the file; <Apple+K> prepends the LaserPrep file.

So, having installed LaserPrep in the System folder, and pressed <Apple+K>,
we can transfer the file to another machine and print it on another Postscript
printer, right?  WRONG!  Apple has another sneaky maneouvre in store for us.
The LaserPrep file contains various commands which are going to give us
90trouble.  Some of them are privileged.  Others, apparently, are just plain
not Postscript and are unintelligible to printers other than Apple LaserWriters.
INFO-MAC to the rescue!  A detailed search of the Lancaster archives brought
to light a contribution from Edward Moy of UC Berkeley, called macps and
filed under micros/mac/k91.  This is a shar archive containing two programs
for Unix machines.  The shar archive is unpacked using the Bourne shell and
provides various documentation and build files as well as the two c programs.
Since the shar archive is ASCII, it is probable possible to extract the files
using a normal editor.  I transferred the archive to our Convex system in
Nootingham in order to proceed with this work.

Moy provides two programs, prepfix and macps.  The first processes the
LaserPrep file produced by holding down <Apple+K> whilst printing an empty file
and transforms it into a prep file which is acceptable to most Postscript
printers.  The second, macps, processes documents produced using the <Apple+F>
key to include the processed header file.  prepfix/macps allow for the
possibility of different versions of Apple's LaserPrep.  This is a slightly
roundabout way of proceeding; if it weren't for copyright laws, I guess Moy
could have simply provided copies of the modified LaserPrep files.

I have not yet attempted to get prepfix/macps running on our VAX.  It looks as
if some minor modifications may prove appropriate.  In the meantime, to save
the trouble of transferring my documents over JANET (and two intermediate
machines) to get to the Convex, I have been hand-editing the transformed
LaserPrep file into the documents output from the Mac.  I have only tried
documents containing normal text - no bitmap graphics - but this seems to be
working successfully.

My thanks to all who have helped in this, and particularly to Ed Moy who seems
to be a magician of great power!

Russ Evans
British Geological Survey, Edinburgh
JANET : e_gs18@uk.ac.nmh.va   Internet/BITNET : e_gs18@va.nmh.ac.uk
*........................................................................

>From:   BITNET%"JAKE@ALBNYVMS"      "Shadowboxing the Apocalypse, and wandering
the Land"  7-FEB-1990 17:46:18.64
To:     BITNET%"AE00732@SWTEXAS"
CC:
Subj:   Printing Pagemaker on a DEC PrintServer40

The key to printing PageMaker docs on the LPS40 is to select the (CHANGE)
button in the Print dialog box.  Then, switch to the Apple Laser driver.
Then just do whatever you do for other applications.

If you have any other questions, just reply to me here.

-Steve Jacobson
JAKE@ALBNYVMS
*.....................................................................
>From:   BITNET%"JJW7384@RITVAX"      "JEFF WASILKO--PRESIDENT PRINTER'S DEVILS L
OCAL 49"  7-FEB-1990 22:52:29.53
To:     BITNET%"AE00732@SWTEXAS"
CC:
Subj:   PageMaker

I do alot of printing from PM 3.02 to a LN03+ and have no problems.
Make sure that you have selected the correct APD (printer) and are set up
to use AldusPrep, not LaserPrep. Then hold down option and click ok.
PM will give you a dialog box that will allow you to select 'print to
disk' and 'include aldus prep' you can also give the ps file
a name. Then hit return, and click ok. You'll get a ps file on disk.

Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 12:07 EST
From: FRIEDMAN@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Problems With Print Monitor

Hey Folks-
I have been having an interesting problem recently with my Print Monitor.  We
have a MacIIX with system 6.0.3 and 8 Megs.  Until a few days ago we happily
would send our files to be printed using the Print Monitor so that we could
continue to work while waiting for the hard copies.  Suddenly, Print Monitor
stopped working.  I replaced PM with a new copy, removed the spool folder,
nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I read Rich Klopp's note about Canvas 2.1 and the problems with Public folder
and the LaserSpeed Spooler.  I'm pretty certain we could still print via PM
with Canvas 2.1 installed.

HELP.
Rich
Friedman@biovax

[Moderator's Note:  I have also see PrintMonitor 1.3 fail to start printing
on a IIcx.  If I start PM manually (by double clicking on it) it works fine.
I have no clues.  It might be related?  -- Jon]

End of Info-Mac Digest