Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/23/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 22 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  35

Today's Topics:
                            CgmMaker 1.02
                              Derez 3.0
                           Desktop Manager
                    Faster software floating point
                            FontShow v1.2
                               FORTRAN
              HLocking SELF, GWorldPtrs, code for PICT2
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #33
                            Japanese Kanji
                   Looking for Anatomical Clip-Art
                         Mathematica Packages
                              NEW MEMBER
      Rumors for IBM, Mac, Apple 2, even Amiga! -- what no Atari
       SUM (Gaurdian) Question (err, Problem!) & Eject Question
                            SuperSpool....
                   System Software Compatibility
                            The Stabilizer
                   TurboCache and Complete Undelete
                   Writing an INIT in Think Pascal
                        X Server under Finder

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 90 07:56:19 PST
From: managan#robert#a%mfe.mfenet@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: CgmMaker 1.02

This CgmMaker version 1.02.  It was written at LANL.  It converts graphics
>From CGM format (the ISO standard) to PICT, TIFF, and raw raster data
(ImageTool format).  You can also convert PICT to CGM, TIFF to CGM and PICT,
Raw raster to CGM and PICT, MacPaint to CGM.  With a 2 step process you
can get between most of these formats.

Two caveats: (1) CgmMaker adds a nonstandard header to the CGM file
which can be easily stripped if needed. (2) it only uses a subset of
the CGM standard and may get confused by a general CGM file.  These
caveats are only a problem if you work with CGM files themselves.

Enjoy,
Rob Managan

[Archived as /info-mac/util/cgm-maker-102.hqx; 137K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 17:52:34 -0800
From: news@orion.oac.uci.edu
Subject: Derez 3.0

Derez 3.0 will fail to decompile FOND resource if last character of
last element in array StyleNames falls on odd byte and the following
CharCodeTable is empty.

Has that been fixed in 3.1 ?
DTS - I want the answer.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 14:10:03 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Desktop Manager

I recently put the Desktop Manager from Appleshare 2 into my System Folder on
my non-networked IIcx (4/80, 6.0.3) and also on a non-networked Plus. It
does seem to improve Finder performance, and tho' the Encyclopedia says
Apple doesn't recommend this, they didn't warn against it. Does anyone
know of any problems? One minor glitch is that the icons of a number of
cdevs and applications go generic. I fixed this on the IIcx (rebuilt
desktop etc.) but on the Plus the Vaccine syringe seems to be gone forever.
The programs still work, tho'.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 16:29:08 PST
From: khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw)
Subject: Faster software floating point

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I read somewhere that a software floating point package existed for the MAC
>that was substantially faster the Apple SANE. It supposedly could be used
>with MPW C. Anybody know of such a package??

I saw the package at ComputerWare, the popular Bay Area Mac-only store.
However, I don't remember its name. I think Computerware has an 800 number,
so you should be able to call 800-555-1212 (800 directory assistance)
for their number.
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 12:23 N
From: "Rainer Fuchs (EMBL)" <FUCHS%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FontShow v1.2

This is version 1.2 of FontShow, a small utility program, that displays and
prints character maps and sample texts of all or selected fonts from your
system.

v1.2 now has a Style menu. Also some changes to the Options menu.

FontShow is free.

Rainer Fuchs
Bitnet/EARN: fuchs@embl.bitnet

[Archived as /info-mac/app/fontshow-12.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 17:38 EST
From: institutionalized and legally insane <PMC3386%RITVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FORTRAN

I am in need of an inexpensive FORTRAN development environment (or simply
a compiler if that's all that's available.

Are there any Shareware or Public Domain packages available?
thank you all kindly,

Patrick Chase
Center for Imaging Science
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester New York, USA (God Bless)

on the InterNet:        pmc3386@ritvax.edu
telephone:              716 271 2327

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 15:09 EDT
From: JACKSON@mecan1.maine.edu
Subject: HLocking SELF, GWorldPtrs, code for PICT2

Hi y'all.

This note should kill two birds with one stone. The first concerns a question
I asked in InfomacV8 no. 32 about GWorldPtrs with 32 bit QuickDraw
I found out what the problem was, so I figured I'd share it with you. Because
I had stuck my GWorldPtr as an instance variable within an object, I ran into
problems when I called NewGWorld. The solution kills the other bird (HLocking
SELF in Object Pascal : Shannon Spires InfomacV8 no. 31).

By locking SELF (or this in THINK C), then unlocking after creating the
GWorldPtr, everything's ok. I've been using both THINK Pascal and THINK C for
quite some time now, and this is the first time I've had to do the HLock/
HUnlock thing to make a method work.

One more thing, someone posted a message that they'd like the code for creating
an offscreen drawing environment, spooling in a PICT file, and displaying it.
Wouldn't ya know, that's exactly what I've just done. I'll send the classes
in either Pascal or C to anyone who's interested. I'd use the C stuff myself,
as the exact same code compiles to less than half the application size with
THINK C as opposed to THINK Pascal (Anyone else found this the case?)

Jax
University of Maine

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 06:57 EST
From: WALLACE FELDMAN <FELDMANW%SNYPLAVA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #33

"Martin" writes:
My friend who's sitting just beside me is wondering about the 7.0 version of
the Mac system :
     "when will it comes ?"
He would be very happy to get some answers about it. Thanks in advance,

According to a close family tie employed at Mecca-in-Cupertino, the
official party line on this matter is:"This coming July". Further
deponent sayeth not.

Disclaimer: Free advice is worth just what you paid for it.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 02:53:35 CST
From: Paul Fons <FONS@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Japanese Kanji

  Regarding the question asked about Japanese and the Mac.  There is a
Kanji system 6.0.2 for the Mac.  It is available from ADPA (or will be
shortly) and in addition is available on AppleLink.  There are also public
domain editors available (ASLEdit+ for example) that will let you use the
KanjiTalk front end (romanji -> kanji transliteration).  There are also
  public domain terminal emulators (NinjaTerm and ASLTalk).  They work fine
on US macs (Japanese Macs have kanji in ROM) - but 2MB of system memory
is recommended.  I have been using kanjitalk for quite a while on a SE/30
and a Mac II.  There is an update for the SE/30 6.0.2.4, but the older version
seemed to work fine.  I am not interested in distributing copies of the
OS (it is over ten disks) as I don't have time - but ADPA will be glad to
sell a copy of it.

------------------------------

Date: Sun 18 Feb 90 16:35:30-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@macbeth.stanford.edu>
Subject: Looking for Anatomical Clip-Art

There was a review in MacUser long ago of a clip-art package of arms, legs,
hands and feet in various positions.  Now I can't find the review or any info
about this package.  Does anyone know anything about it?  Thanks in advance.

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU
-------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 03:07:26 CST
From: Paul Fons <FONS@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Mathematica Packages

  In regards to the ftp availablity of Mathematica packages over the internet:
It may be that the host tables are not all in sync so here is an alternative
symbolic name for the archive site and the internet number:
                       ZAPHOD.NCSA.UIUC.EDU 128.174.20.50

                                                    Paul Fons

p.s. I think that the packages from Roman Maeders book were here also.  There
is also a Mathematica mailing list.  Contact stevec@mars.ncsa.uiuc.edu for
more information on that.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 11:57 EST
From: FNELSON@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu
Subject: NEW MEMBER

I would like to hear from anyone working on music application.  I am
particularly interested in MIDI techniques and algorithmic composition.

Gary Lee Nelson, Professor
Electronic and Computer Music
Conservatory of Music
Oberlin, OH 44074
(216) 775-8223

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 21:51:19 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Rumors for IBM, Mac, Apple 2, even Amiga! -- what no Atari

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
               From the February 1990 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

Even IBM Isn't Always Compatible.
IBM BIOS changes in recent models of IBM's PS/2 Model 70 are
blamed for an incompatibility with Microsoft Windows/386
that can cause loss of data stored on floppy disks.  IBM is
preparing a fix which will be available free to current
Model 70 owners who have Windows/386.  The fix will be
incorporated into future Model 70's.  - InfoWorld 15 January

Modular Software.
The first "hot" software trend of the 90's is likely to be
"modular" programs that let users select the features they
want while keeping programs fast and easy to use.  A recent
Microsoft Word customer conference revealed that users want
more features but differ with one another about which
features are necessary.  Claris's MacWrite II is the first
major word processor using the modular approach.  Users can
select the file translation programs they want and add
others later as needed.  They also can transparently bring
in information from other applications.
- InfoWorld 8 January

IBM's New K-12 Strategy -- Apple ProDOS!
IBM continues to lag behind Apple and Tandy in K-12
education sales.  Look for a promotion this Spring featuring
an Apple II coprocessor board with PS/2 25's and 30's (the
ones with the AT bus).  - InfoWorld 15 January

IBM RISC System/6000 PowerStation.
The new RISC Technology (RT) system (code-named RT-3)
originally scheduled for debut last October 17 (see last
month's and last October's columns) is expected to surface
the week of February 12.  All six workstations and servers
in the initial RISC System/6000 family will use a single CPU
based upon IBM's second generation ROMP-II RISC chip.  The
machines will use Micro Channel 32-bit Streaming Data which
will permit data transfer at up to 40 Mbytes per second
(twice as fast as existing PS/2's) and deliver from 12 MIPS
and 2 Megaflops at the low end to over 30 MIPS and more than
7 Megaflops at the high end.  Problems implementing
multiprocessing in the AIX-3 operating system persist and
will delay introduction of multiprocessor members of the
6000 family.  More than 3,500 applications already have been
ported to run on the machine according to sources within
IBM.  A decision has not been made about whether to exercise
Big Blue's licensed option to identify Hagar the Horrible as
the mascot of the PowerStation series.
- PC Week 8 January and InfoWorld 15 January

Macintosh '90 and '91.
The 68040 Macintosh which will be introduced later this year
will be the last of the current line.  Early next year,
Macintosh will migrate to the Motorola 88000 RISC CPU (see
last month's and December's columns).  The operating system
being developed for the 88000-based Macs will run any of the
hundreds of applications that follow Apple's specifications
for "32-bit clean" programming (Microsoft Word and Aldus
Pagemaker are two prominent examples of 32-bit clean
programs).  Programs which follow the 32-bit clean standards
also will run under Apple's A/UX Unix operating system.
Apple's forthcoming (summer 1990) Operating System 7.0
requires 32-bit clean software.  Two core technologies
discussed by Apple last May have been deferred.  Layout
Manager, intended to provide typographic text controls, and
the new print architecture will not appear until 1991.
However, Fileshare which will permit Appletalk users to
share local files with other computers running Appleshare
client software without a file server has been added to
System 7's initial release.  Help Manager, an improved Sound
Manager, Script Manager, Time Manager, and an improved Text
Edit which were discussed last May but not definitely
promised for System 7's original release will be among the
set of 40 files (said to consume nearly 3 Mbytes of
memory).
- PC Week 25 December, Computer Chronicles 30 December
  and InfoWorld 1 January

Unix for the Masses.
According to Commodore's Irving Gould, the 25 MHz
68030-based Amiga 3000 will appear in March with Unix System
V release 4 and the Applications Binary Interface for the
68030.  Sources say the Ami 3000 with 6 Mbytes of RAM, a
color monitor, and a 300 Mbyte hard disk also will include
Commodore's famous aggressive pricing (about $7,000).
- InfoWorld 1 January

Mix and Match PS/2s.
IBM is showing developers prototypes of a new line of
microcomputers which will succeed the current PS/2 series.
The new PCs will accept a wide range of processor cards and
companion components such as memory modules and hard disks
to optimize cost-performance based on the buyer's processing
needs.  - PC Week 25 December

20 MHz 80386SX.
Intel has seeded PC Makers with samples of a 20 MHz 386SX
CPU (32-bit processor, 16-bit bus) which will be formally
released at the end of March.  Analysts predict the new chip
will encourage liquidation of inventories of current 20 MHz
80386 (32-bit bus) systems and lower prices for 25 MHz 80386
computers.  The 386SX chips offer almost as much performance
as the straight 386 chips of the same speed and are
attractive to price sensitive customers.  Performance
hungary buyers who are less price sensitive already are
moving up to 33 MHz 80386 and i486 systems.
- PC Week 8 January

80386 Clones.
Integrated Information Technologies of Santa Clara,
California and NexGen of San Jose, California are working on
microprocessors that will be object code compatible with
Intel's 80386 but offer two to four times the performance.
The improvments are likely to come at the cost of pin
compatibility with the Intel chip (the clones won't work in
a computer designed for the Intel original).  Developers who
are not constrained to maintaining pin compatibility have
more flexibility for increasing performance.  For instance,
NexGen's approach is to use eight chips designed to work in
parallel to perform the functions of Intel's 80386, 80387
math coprocessor, and 82385 cache controller.  IIT says
their 80386 clone will be available within a year.
- PC Week 8 January

i586 Woes.
Intel insiders hadn't even finished bragging about what the
next generation i586 CPU will do (see last month's,
October's, and August's columns) when designers discovered
that current chipmaking technology isn't going to permit all
that to fit on one chip.  While Intel rethinks, a souped up
i486 is being planned for next year.  The enhanced i486
(i486e?) will feature a larger (16 Kbytes) cache and some
internal bus enhancements.  - PC Week 8 January

Survey Predicts OS/2 Will Surpass Unix.
A survey by Computer Intelligence of 1,500 U.S. Businesses
with 500 or more employees indicates that OS/2 will be
installed on 39 percent of desktop computers by 1992.  Users
anticipate only 17 percent of systems will use Unix.  MS-DOS
and the Macintosh operating system will account for the
remaining 44 percent.  - InfoWorld 8 January

Faster LaserJet.
Hewlett-Packard will begin shipping it's new 16 page per
minute 300 dots per inch laser printer later this Spring.
- InfoWorld 15 January

A Blue Sun Clone?
IBM is rumored to have assigned 40 engineers to a "top
secret" (if it's so secret, how come I read about it
already?) research lab in Hawthorn, New York with a mandate
to design a Sun SPARC-station compatible.
- PC Week 8 January

Hand-held "Fuzzy Logic."
Sony has announced a hand-held, 16-bit "fuzzy logic"
computer built around a Motorola 68000 CPU.  The computer
has no keyboard; instead it uses a four by six inch pressure
sensitive LCD screen for input.  Sony plans to market the
device later this year.  - Computer Chronicles 30 December

Japanese Home Computer?
So far, Japanese computer companies have been frustrated in
their attempts to gain a significant share of the U.S. home
computing market.  However, one major Japanese manufacturer
may have discovered an approach likely to succeed -- a
contract with Apple to become the exclusive manufacturer of
the Apple IIgs.  - InCider February

No Apple IIgs FST for HFS.
Apple developers interested in supplying HyperCard stacks
for IIgs HyperCard (see last December and August columns)
have been told to copy Macintosh stacks to ProDOS format
using the Macintosh file transfer utility.  The implication
is that although IIgs HyperCard will be compatible with
Macintosh stacks, it will not be shipped with a FST (File
System Translator) capable of reading Macintosh disks.
- found in my electronic mailbox

IBM has announced a new artificial intelligence program
development system called the "Integrated Reasoning Shell."
It allows users to design complex applications using a
standard graphic interface and English-like syntax.  The
shell, which runs under OS/2, is scheduled to begin shipping
in July.  - Computer Chronicles 13 January

2.6 Gigabyte DAT Drive.
Mountain Computer of Campbell California will begin shipping
the Filesafe 1200 series of Digital Audio Tape (DAT) storage
devices later this quarter.  The model 1200 will use a
single DAT cartridge capable of storing 1.3 gigabytes of
data.  The model 1200d (for double) will daisy-chain two
drives for a total of 2.6 gigabytes of backup.  The Filesafe
1200 will list for $5,995 and the 1200d will be priced at
$9,995.  - InfoWorld 15 January

Tripling Optical Storage Capacity.
Researchers at the University of Florida have announced a
breakthrough in laser technology that could triple the
capacity of optical storage devices.  The breakthrough is
based on a "blue laser" beam using zinc selanide which can
focus on a spot one-third the size of today's infrared
lasers.  Researchers are working to develop a zinc selanide
diode to power the blue laser.
- Computer Chronicles 13 January

Quick Justice.
Sometime this Spring, U.S. Supreme court decisions will be
distributed electronically through existing online legal
services.  The Court will make electronic copies of the
decisions available within minutes of their announcement.
- Computer Chronicles 6 January

Beta Testing.
Testers are saying that dBase IV version 1.1 ("The Bug Fix")
is clean enough to introduce, but after the 1.0 fiasco,
Ashton Tate plans to exercise great caution.  No release
date is even rumored.  Word Perfect is testing a scaled down
version of its popular version 5.1 word processor called
Letter Perfect.  The company hopes to have better luck than
it did with the old Word Perfect Executive, a scaled down
version 4.2 designed for laptops that only sold 10,000
copies.  Windows 3.0 (last November and December's columns)
has been testing for so long that the current incarnation is
known as Beta IV.  On 80286 systems with more than 1 Mbyte
of memory, Windows 3.0 can run multiple Windows applications
(but not multiple non-Windows applications) in 286 protected
mode (meaning if one task crashes, others are not affected).
Windows 3.0 on an 80386 system with more than 2 Mbytes of
memory will be able to multitask non-Windows software in 386
protected mode's using "virtual 8086" capability.  Lotus's
1-2-3/G (for Presentation Manager - see last August,
November, and December columns) is expected to ship in late
March or early April along with 1-2-3/M (for IBM
mainframes), 1-2-3/V for DEC VAXs and 1-2-3/U for the Open
Look Unix environment.
- PC Week 25 December and 8 and 15 January
  and InfoWorld 1 and 8 January

Uses for High Powered PCs.
Forecasters disagree on predicted sales for personal
computers for the remainder of the century.  Dataquest
expects software developers to conceive of entirely new uses
for today's more powerful desktop machines.  That new
software could lead to a doubling of the installed base of
personal computers (to 170 million units) during the next
four years.  Merrill Lynch, on the other hand, believes the
personal computing market has matured and will grow at an
annual rate under 10 percent during the 90's.
- Computer Chronicles 30 December

And Now, a Word from Our Sponsor.  Electronic consumer
information services, such as Prodigy, remain "in the red."
Industry analysts say the services won't become profitable
until there are enough users to attract online advertisers
(something to look forward too).
- Computer Chronicles 6 January

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 01:10 EST
From: WATTS@urhep
Subject: SUM (Gaurdian) Question (err, Problem!) & Eject Question

Hi y'all,

  Another double header letter: 2 questions.  The first one has to do with the
Eject routine in the File manager.  Is it legal to hand it a driver number
inplace of a volume reference number?  If not -- how does one eject an uninited
disk?

  Second question.  Ok.  This is really obscure, and I am sure no one else
would encounter this monster except during debugging.  I think, maybe, just
possibly, could/might have to do with a small, tiny, not-usually-seen,
not-affecting-regular-users bug (whew! I said it.  Who sais ___ isn't a four
letter word!).  First of all, this only happens when I am doing something
stupid: ejecting a disk that isn't in any drive.  When this happens I get the
usual modeless dialog requesting insertion.  But wait -- it is already ejected.
Why don't I get no-such-drive error?  The reason I say it has to do with SUM is
that the SUM shield cursur is up during ejection.  Is this what is happening or
am I doing something stupid by ejecting an empty volume?  I do know how to get
around this by checking to see if the disk is mounted, etc.  So this isn't
really a problem, just a question of curiosity.

  Before y'all flame be to but a smoking cyinder because I used that 3 letter
word.... I love SUM.  I have had my machine running it for almost 6 months now.
Good stuff.  The ___ I am talking about will never occur unless your a dumb
programmer (like me) tooling around and doing things like ejecting ejected
disks.  Finder, and other programs, will never give you the option of ejecting
ejected disks!  So there!

	Gordon.

BITNET:   WATTS@UORHEP
INTERNET: gwatts@ruthep.rutgers.edu
USMAIL:	  Gordon Watts
	  Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
	  University of Rochester
	  Rochester, NY
	  14627-0011

------------------------------

Date: 17 FEB 90 21:22:21 CST
From: Z4610891 <Z4610891%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SuperSpool....

Howdy,

  Thanks to everyone who responded.  I have found out from several people
that Superspool is a Commercial spooler and that just about everyone that
I have heard from loves it.  It can be purchased for around $50 dollars.
Thanks again to all who responded.

Anthony F Gaudiano <Z4610891@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 90  1708 PST
From: Tovar <TVR%CCRMA-F4@sail.stanford.edu>
Subject: System Software Compatibility

     "Every silver lining has a touch of grey"
						[Garcia, Hunter]

Yes, you can run a AppleTalk network with MacPlus and 6.0.x systems, but
it's not easy.  The trouble is that running 6.0.x without a hard disk is
problematic.  In order to support color, calligraphic text (script), and
sundry other features which sell the newer machines, the System file has
become fairly large and patches to MacPlus ROMs have got to be numerous.
This means that you don't get that much space left on a floppy for fonts
and desk accessories, not to mention user files and applications.  Other
than MicroSoft,  which explicitly rejects non-6.0.x systems, most things
run at least decently under 4.x, with in some cases, a substitution of a
newer LaserWriter or AppleShare. In short, there's little reason for the
MacPlus user to update, and lots not. In my opinion, until there's a new
system with something to offer MacPlus users, they will be reluctance to
upgrade unless they can get 6.0.x without alot of extra baggage. Perhaps
it might be in Apple's interest to offer new ROMs for the MacPlus, so as
to reduce the size of the System Folder for everyone...

The rub is that one frequently has to reload the Laser Prep file,  which
is both time and paper consuming. You can put multiple LaserWriter files
on a hard disk, but they will all refer to the same Laser Prep file, and
that isn't very useful.  What you can do about this is adopt some naming
convention (such as `5.1 LaserWriter' and `5.1 Laser Prep') which should
be distinguishable in the `Chooser', then patch your `LaserWriter' files
to match. I think the relevent resource is `STR ', ID=-8518. Then, users
can at least decide which version they want to use,  which is most often
whatever the last person used.  If you only have two versions, then it's
not so much a guessing game.

Thanks, Apple, for providing a way out.  Now, how about a silent MacPlus
replacement with an MMU or at least get System 7 out to those who really
need it??
				-- Tovar

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 90 02:18:58 EST
From: mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu)
Subject: The Stabilizer

I am sending this for this author.

Enter all your budget expenses and have The Stabilizer figure an amount to
save each month or pay period to always have money for your bills.  The
Stabilizer will figure the best month to start your budget in and will
estimate selected expenses. The Stabilizer is shareware $10.  StabilizerII
faster and much more extensive available for $25

[Archived as /info-mac/app/stabilizer.hqx; 93K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 18:53:48 EST
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TurboCache and Complete Undelete

     Can anybody recommend Turbo Cache and Complete Undelte. How fast would Tru
rbo speed up a MAc SE HD 20 with 2.5 megs of ram. Does Complete Undelete do jus
t as good as a job as SUM II?
Acknowledge-To: <3XMQGAA@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 12:04:38 EST
From: Brad Goodman <acm119@eric.ccs.northeastern.edu>
Subject: Writing an INIT in Think Pascal

	I am learning Toolbox programing, and want to be able
	to write an INIT, using Think Pascal. Has anyone here
	ever written one? Can you give me some tips? Evertime
	I have tried to write one, the compiler will compile
	it, then I will try set it up as an INIT, but the
	computer will crash on startup, trying to execute it.
	Any help?

	Also, I frequently get a link error saying "THEPORT"
	is "not defined". What is this? Apparently, I am trying
	to use some toolbox call or something, and not giving
	some proper parameters, or something. What's up??

					-Brad Goodman
					 Northeastern University
					 Boston, Massachussetts

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 13:59:57 EST
From: sticklen@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen)
Subject: X Server under Finder

what X-Windows Server implementations are there for use under the Mac Finder?

what are the contact numbers for the companies that make them?

what are the pros and cons that can help with the choice of which one
to get?

one thing in particular i would like is to have cut and paste functionality
between something like ArborText publisher running on a sun server, and
PowerPoint running on the mac. ie, transfering graphics from PowerPoint to
the publisher.

thanks,
	---jon---

End of Info-Mac Digest