Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/26/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 25 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  37

Today's Topics:
                           800K Eject INIT
                        After Dark 1.1 updater
                           AlwaysFract INIT
                         Animated cursor cdev
                         DeskPat 1.2.sit.hqx
                      Fractional Widths FKey...
                       Free Text Browser v.0.8
                     Free Text Help/Services 0.8
                 HINTS on Buying a Mac & Peripherals
                   init cdev 3.0 -- New & Improved
              INITInfo 4.1 (Init/Cdev Conflict Summary)
                            Iterated Maps
                            MenuTuner 1.0
                         MiniScreen INIT 1.2
                            Portable INIT
                         Quick Compacter 2.0
                           ResColors 1.0b9
                      Scroll Bar Pattern Editor
                             SingleShare
                      Sound Converter Utilities
                            SunDesk 1.0b6
                         Think Class Library
                             Virus RX 1.6

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 23:14:15 PST
From: kornel@whistler.sfu.ca (Jude Kornelsen)
Subject: 800K Eject INIT

As requested, here is a copy of the new Apple INIT that
offers even more reliable disk ejects on 800k floppy drives.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/800k-eject.hqx; 2K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 23:11:56 PST
From: bruce@cory.berkeley.edu (Bruce Burkhalter)
Subject: After Dark 1.1 updater

	This is the After Dark 1.1 updater package.  It contains the After
Dark 1.1 updater program, 3 new modules, and 4 updated modules.  The updater
program takes a copy of After Dark version 1.0 and updates it to version 1.1.

	After Dark is a commercial screen saver from Berkeley Systems that
displays a variety of different screen saving effects (18 with the 3 new
ones).  It also allows programmers to write their own screen saving effects.

Bruce Burkhalter
Berkeley Systems, Inc.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-11-updater.hqx; 135K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 21:28:29 -0500
From: shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn)
Subject: AlwaysFract INIT

AlwaysFract is an INIT which turns ON fractional widths for ALL applications
unless specifically turned OFF in the Page Setup dialog.  This effectively
means that it is always on, except in Microsoft Word (or a few other programs)
where control can be exercised via the Page Setup dialog.

This INIT was obtained from the Adobe forum on CompuServe and was forwarded
to me (shahn@hstbme.mit.edu).

I have had no mentionable compatibility problems with AlwaysFract, but I must
admit the screen spacing seems a bit strange and may be illegible at small
point sizes, although the printed page (vis a vis Laserwriter IISC) is perfect.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/always-fract.hqx; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 09:43 EST
From: RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu
Subject: Animated cursor cdev

here is a cdev that I found recently. It allows you to animate your cursor
in many interesting ways (rather than the boring old watch with the spinning
hands). It is fairly simple and hasn't given me any problems.

As long as I am here, does anyone have any opinions about how well IBM pc's
work on an appletalk network with appletalk cards? do they interface well?
how about tops, IPN, etc?
Thanks.....

Read Fritsch
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/animated-cursors.hqx; 39K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 23:46:30 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu
Subject: DeskPat 1.2.sit.hqx

>From the author's documentation:
"This DA allows you to change the desktop pattern on a Macintosh II series
computer to something a little bit more fun.  Although the 'General' cdev
allows you to edit the desktop pattern, it is confined to an 8x8 matrix of
only a possible 7 colors.  Some developers have created INIT's & such to keep
a 640x480 PICT in the background.  I found that wastes far too much memory,
and does nothing for my second screen.  This program actually modifies the
color pattern in the System file.  This pattern is a resource of type 'ppat',
and number 16.  This is the very same resource that gets edited in the
'General' cdev included with every System Utility disk from Apple*.  What my
progam does is enable you to 'crop' a chunk 'o PICT from the clipboard & turn
it into a pattern that can be from 8x8 to as big as you wish. The only
limitation to the pattern dimensions is that the width & the height of the
'cropped tile' must be a power of 2, >8I i.e. 8, 16, 32, 64 etc. (But that
is handled automatically.)"  Shareware $10.  UnBinHex and UnStuffIt with
StuffIt 1.5.1.  Enjoy!   Willi

[Archived as /info-mac/da/deskpat-12.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 21:27:54 -0500
From: shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn)
Subject: Fractional Widths FKey...

Fractional Widths is an FKEY which toggles the fractional width capabilities
of programs that cannot expressly modify this page attribute.  Install it
with FKEY Manager and/or Suitcase II.  It is currently set to CMD-SHIFT-8.

Unfortunately, there are two major drawbacks with this FKEY.  First, I have
been unable to get this and the AlwaysFract INIT to work cooperatively.  They
can be installed in the same System, although the FKEY will NOT toggle the
Fractional Width attribute off.  Second, from my limited experiences with this
FKEY it seems that the Fractional Width attribute must be turned on for EACH
DOCUMENT in a given program.  For instance, in Excel, I have had to activate
the FKEY for each new spreadsheet before I print it.

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/fractional-widths.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 90 20:15 EST
From: science@nems.dt.navy.mil (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: Free Text Browser v.0.8

Appended below is ftbrow8.sit.hqx, a stuffit'd binhex'd HyperCard stack,
"Free Text Browser" version 0.8.  "Free Text Browser" and the accompanying
stack "Free Text Help/Services" are the successors to my TEX, TEXAS, qndxr.c,
brwsr.c, etc. programs which are 'real-time high-bandwidth free-text
information retrieval tools'.

In brief, a button on the "Free Text Help/Services" stack lets you
build an index to an arbitrarily-large text file.  (The index file
format is completely compatible with TEX, TEXAS, etc.)  Then,
"Free Text Browser" lets you easily browse and retrieve information
>From that indexed database.  I find it very useful for browsing multi-
megabyte collections of online correspondence, technical manuals,
the Bible, etc.

"Free Text Browser" adds significant new features to the TEX browser,
including full Boolean proximity search.  "Free Text" is completely
free software, thanks in part to generous support from Apple's
Library and others.  I am fixing minor bugs and moving some of the
documentation around in preparation for releasing version 1.0 in
early March.  So, I would appreciate any comments, suggestions for
improvement, bug reports, etc. that any users of v.0.8 can give
me.  Send mail to 'science@nems.dt.navy.mil' on the Internet, to
[75066,2044] on CompuServe, etc.  Thanks!

[Archived as /info-mac/hypertext/free-text-browser-08.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 90 20:24 EST
From: science@nems.dt.navy.mil (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: Free Text Help/Services 0.8

appended below is part 1 of 3 of the binhex'd stuffit'd HyperCard
stack "Free Text Help/Services", version 0.8.  As explained in the
note accompanying "Free Text Browser", my "Free Text" software lets
you use huge collections of free-text information; the programs are
the descendants of TEX, TEXAS, qndxr.c, brwsr.c, Browser v.244, and
other things I've written during the past 4 years.

"Free Text Help/Services" provides facilities to merge and delete
files and to build machine-readable indices to free-text databases.
This stack also provides complete documentation to "Free Text
Browser", a cute Guided Tour example of how to use the browser,
and the entire source code for the XFCNs used in "Free Text".  It
is completely free software (in the GNU/Stallman sense).  Version
0.8 seems solid to me, but I would appreciate getting suggestions,
bug reports, etc., from anyone before I finish work on version 1.0
due out in March.  (I'll post that to the net when it's ready.)
Many thanks to Apple's Library for its support in my software
development efforts during the past six months!

Send comments to 'science@nems.dt.navy.mil' on the Internet, or
to [75066,2044] on CompuServe.  Thank you! - ^z

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/free-text-help-services.hqx; 186K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Feb 90 13:22:05 EST
From: "Eric W. Tilenius" <EWTILENI@pucc.princeton.edu>
Subject: HINTS on Buying a Mac & Peripherals

                             TIPS ON BUYING A MAC

About a month ago, I posted a message to this newsgroup asking for help
and suggestions in picking out a Mac II system.  I received literally
dozens of replies and would like to thank all those who helped me out.

As promised, here's a summary of the suggestions people offered as well
as lessions learned from my own weeks of evaluating products.  Hope this
helps all you prospective Mac buyers out there!

[Archived as /info-mac/report/buying-a-mac.txt; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 90 18:38:39 AESST
From: munnari!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!johnr@uunet.uu.net (John Rotenstein)
Subject: init cdev 3.0 -- New & Improved

init cdev 3.0
by John Rotenstein

Are you plagued by that modern-day irritation experienced by a
majority of Macintosh users? Do you wish you could stop that clock
>From interfering with your game of Continuum? Do you find that startup
takes longer than shutdown? Or do you just enjoy collecting more?

Whatever the case, 'init cdev 3.0' is for you!

To use 'init cdev', you must first place it into your System Folder.

'init cdev' operates in two ways: as an INIT, and as a cdev (obviously!).

The INIT can be activated by holding down the mouse button or the space
bar when you StartUp (just after the 'Welcome' message), and the cdev
can be activated by going to the Control Panel and clicking on the
'init cdev' icon.

Knowing how to activate 'init cdev', you'll probably want to know why
you should use it in the first place! 'init cdev' will provide a list
of all the INIT (StartUp), cdev (Control Panel) and RDEV (Chooser) files
in your System Folder and let you turn them on and off. Once they're off
they won't bother you again until you turn them on again.

In this way, you can keep a whole lot of INIT and cdev files in your
System Folder without having to remove them whenever their services are
not required. Also, you can choose to temporarily activate/deactivate files.
They will be changed back again the next time you startup.

New in version 3 (apart from the bigger dialogs and pretty colours) is
the ability to turn off all INITs temporarily (by pressing the zero key
at startup) and the ability to define a Minimum Set of INITs to be run
temporarily (by pressing the tab key at startup). For more information,
choose init cdev from the Control Panel.

init cdev now also provides a 32-Bit Color QuickDraw icon if the
disk-based file is being loaded (well, actually it's whether or not
it's there). This is useful for UnQuickDraw, another HappiWare product.

Please note that only files which contain INIT resources will be
available for activation/deactivation. This includes some cdevs
(e.g. QuicKeys, SuperClock!) but not others (e.g. MacEnvy, Mouse).

init cdev keeps a private list of INITs and cdevs to speed operation.
The first time you use it, operation may seem a little slow. But after
that, it will be much quicker. (And it's ALWAYS quicker than you-know-who!)

'init cdev' is distributed under the HappiWare* System:
IF YOU LIKE IT, REMEMBER TO SMILE!

But seriously, if you do like 'init cdev', I would appreciate your
sending me a picture postcard of your home town, just so I can see how
far this little program has spread.

	John Rotenstein
	PO Box 165
	Double Bay, NSW 2028
	AUSTRALIA.

(For those interested, that's about five minutes east of Sydney's CBD.)

Version 3 of 'init cdev' was written over Christmas 1989.
init cdev is (c) 1990 by John Rotenstein.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/init-cdev-30.hqx; 30K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 90 10:21:40 EST
From: Peter Galko <PTRPB%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: INITInfo 4.1 (Init/Cdev Conflict Summary)

Below is a new version of the InitInfo document describing known conficts
and problems with almost all the cdevs, inits, etc. out there. It is in
Word 4.0 format as a Stuffit archive (and this time will not prompt for
any password).  Its informative!

Part 1 of 2 of the binhex material is below, Part 2 follows in a separate
mailing.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/init-info-41.hqx; 225K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 10:15 EST
From: Mike Vaughn <MTVAUGHN@northeastern.edu>
Subject: Iterated Maps

  IteratedMaps is a program which will allow the study some iterated
maps and the phenomena of period doubling bifurcation and chaos (more
documentation is enclosed).

CAUTION. IteratedMaps requires a floating point unit (MC 68881/2 to run) -
it will exit, perhaps ungracefully, if it does not find one. Some of the
dialogs may look strange on a 512 x 342 screen (SE/30 owners please note)
 - they can be cleaned up with ResEdit if necessary.

Michael T. Vaughn
Physics Department
Northeastern University
Boston, MA 02115

bitnet:MTVAUGHN@NUHUB

[Archived as /info-mac/app/iterated-maps.hqx; 52K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 9:00:32 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: MenuTuner 1.0

Here is a neat little cdev that allows you to fine tune your
hierarchical menus.  It lets you change the "drag delay" which is
the time you have to get from the main menu to the submenu before
the submenu disappears. It also lets you change the "submenu
delay" which is the time it takes for the submenu to appear as
you select a main menu item.  The program was written by Carlos
A. Weber, M.D. who retains the rights to the program but does
allow its free distribution. The cdev works on all Macs from the
Plus and up.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/menu-tuner.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 9:13:08 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: MiniScreen INIT 1.2

MiniScreen is an INIT for color quickdraw machines that changes
the screen size to that of the standard 9" mac screen.  The
screen size can be configured to any size you wish if the 9"
screen isn't what you want. It should be useful for those
programmers designing an application on a large screen but wants
to make sure that dialog boxes, etc will appear on the standard
(dinky) screen. This INIT is public domain and was written by
Morgan Davis of Beagle Bros., Inc.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/miniscreen-12.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 08:23:54 PST
From: Phil Brown - UCS <brownp@ucs.orst.edu>
Subject: Portable INIT

MACINTOSH PORTABLE INIT

Copyright 1990, Apple Computer, Inc.

Some Macintosh Portables may experience the following printer or modem
communication problems after being put to sleep for a few minutes:

  * The printer cannot establish communication or, if it does, garbage is
    printed.
  * The modem cannot establish communication.

If the above problems exist, download the Macintosh Portable INIT Version 1.0
to correct the situation:

  * Open the Software Updates icon in AppleLink
  * Locate the Macintosh Portable INIT folder
  * Download the INIT file
  * Place the INIT file in the System Folder
  * Restart the system

If the Macintosh Portable INIT does not correct the situation, refer to the
Macintosh Portable in the Macintosh Family Technical Procedures for technical
and troubleshooting information.

Future releases of the Macintosh System Software will also incorporate the
Macintosh Portable INIT Version 1.0as a patch to the System file.

The Macintosh Portable INIT is copyrighted material supplied to Macintosh users
under the terms and conditions of their Macintosh System Software license.

AppleLink
Software Updates board
Macintosh Portable INIT folder
READ ME FIRST:  MACINTOSH PORTABLE INIT
1/15/90

[Archived as /info-mac/init/portable.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 20:00:31 PST
From: GPR001Y%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Quick Compacter 2.0

	Hello, this is version 2.0 of Quick Compacter. It has been
Stuffed and Bin-Hexed with Stuffit version 1.5.1. It should be
De-Binhexed with Stuffit.
	Quick Compacter 2.0 is a HyperCard stack that compacts other
HyperCard stacks. It has many features that are not found in other
stacks of this type. Specifically, you can compacter one stack,
multiple stacks, an entire folder of stacks, a volume (disk) of
stacks, all mounted volumes and finally a user defined list of stacks.
Many of these features can be found in other compaction stacks, but
this is the only stack (that I know of) that puts all these features
in one. There are help files available under the button "Help--> Help
File" on the main card.
	One of the features that is unique to Quick Compacter is its
ability to compact a stack or series of stacks regardless of the
freespace in those stacks. This is useful for when Apple releases a
new version of HyperCard. Apple recommended, "For optimal performance,
use HyperCard Version 1.2.5 to compact stacks created with earlier
versions of HyperCard." in the release notes stack that came with
HyperCard 1.2.5. Quick Compacter 2.0 makes this tedious process very
simple.
	Quick Compacter 2.0 needs at least version 1.2.2 of HyperCard.
It does work with version 1.2.5.
	Quick Compacter 2.0 is shareware. I ask that you send me
$10.00 (US) if you find this stack useful. I will keep a record of
those who register and will send them information about the next
released version of Quick Compacter as well as any updates to version
2.0. I am always looking for suggestions or problems that users have
for Quick Compacter. If you would like to report a suggestion, problem
or would like to send me a shareware fee, please contact me at:

Mark Elpers
13000 Skyline Blvd
Woodside, CA 94062
GEnie: M.Elpers
AOL:MarkElp
Bitnet: GPR001Y@CALSTATE.EDU    (only until May 1990)

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/quick-compacter-20.hqx; 90K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 90 23:38:05 mst
From: ewing@tramp.colorado.edu (EWING DAVID JAMES)
Subject: ResColors 1.0b9

This is ResColors 1.0b9.  It is a bunch of resources to be copied
into ResEdit 1.2 or later which provide editors for cicn's, crsr's
and the System 7.0 color icon resources ics8, ics4, icl8, and icl4.
It was writen by the same person who wrote ResCICN (not me), and
appears to be much more stable.  The following is a BinHex file
containing a Stuffit archive.

Dave Ewing
ewing@tramp.colorado.edu  (128.138.238.33)
...!hplabs!boulder!onecom!tyvax!iftech!dave (My Mac IIx running uupc & MacOS!)
AppleLink: D2408	  (D2408@applelink.apple.com)

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/rescolors-10b9.hqx; 77K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 9:17:07 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Scroll Bar Pattern Editor

A little utility by Andrew McGeachie that allows you to edit your
scroll bar pattern in a FAT BITS mode.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/scroll-bar-pattern-editor.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 20:12:59 MET
From: Matthias Urlichs <urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de>
Subject: SingleShare

This is SingleShare 0.9b11, an AppleShare-compatible server
which can run under MultiFinder or from an INIT.

Documentation (Word 3, and MacWrite) is included.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/singleshare-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/comm/singleshare-part2.hqx; 98K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 11:47:50 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Sound Converter Utilities

Here are some utility programs for manipulating various sound
file formats. Included are four application:

SCConverter 1.0 Converts Sound Cap files to Sound Designer files
and back

SDConverter 1.11 Converts Sound Designer files to Sound Lab
waveform files and back

SEConverter 1.0CES Converts SoundEdit files to Sound Designer
files and back

SSConverter 1.0 Converts Studio Session files to Sound Designer
files (but not the other way!)

Hope these are of some use to those who are fond of sounds.

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/sound-converter-utilities.hqx; 101K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 90 23:38:37 mst
From: ewing@tramp.colorado.edu (EWING DAVID JAMES)
Subject: SunDesk 1.0b6

This is SunDesk 1.0b6.  This is an init much like ColorFinder
and IconColorizer which gives color Icons in your Finder windows.
However, this one hilights selected icons by using darker colors.
Also, the folder icons are drawn with an outline of the color you
select in the Colors menu.

This init uses 'icl8' resources for the icons that are displayed.
These are the same type of resource which Finder 7.0 will use.  You
can create these resources using ResColor package for ResEdit.
However, many color icons are included.

The following is a BinHex file containing a Stuffit archive.

Dave Ewing
ewing@tramp.colorado.edu  (128.138.238.33)
...!hplabs!boulder!onecom!tyvax!iftech!dave (My Mac IIx running uupc & MacOS!)
AppleLink: D2408	  (D2408@applelink.apple.com)

[Archived as /info-mac/init/sundesk-10b6.hqx; 78K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 01:07 PST
From: /C=USA/ADMD=TELEMAIL/O=KOSMOS/S=PRANGE/G=MICHAEL/@gemini.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Think Class Library

Does anyone know of an internet mailing list where users of the
Think  C Class Library can exchange information?

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 19:31 EST
From: <JK_APPLE%UNHH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Virus RX 1.6

This is Apple's Virus RX version 1.6

If it is already in the archives then scrap this file.

The package includes a teach text file with instructions and info.

*       Joe Kazura      Apple Computer - Student Rep            *
*       The U.T.C.      14A Thompson Hall - UNH                 *
*       Durham, NH      03824-3547      (603) 862-1328          *
*       BITNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH        Applelink: ST0566       *
* Disclaimer - The Views Expressed Are MINE!! Not even Apple's  *

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/virus-rx-16.hqx; 75K]

End of Info-Mac Digest