Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/26/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 25 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  38

Today's Topics:
              adding PICTs, SNDs, and animation to MACL
                       Apple Lisa 2 Information
                   Booting off an AppleTalk server
                     CMS harddisk problem solved
           Different header on different page with word4??
                          Ehman 19" displays
                  Epson printers and Macs, Grappler?
         How many SCSI's at a time are needed to make a boot?
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #33
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #34
                        Mac - Pc file sharing
                           missing tn #120
                                SPAMM
                      Tour of the Solar System?
                          X-Windows summary

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 21:13:03 -0500
From: dpliske@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Daniel B. Pliske)
Subject: adding PICTs, SNDs, and animation to MACL

I'm interested in extending Macintosh Allegro Common LISP in several ways
to support a project I'm involved in as a graduate student in cs. Specifically,
I would like to be able to import PICTs and SNDs into Allegro, and provide
a facility for doing bitmap animation. I have been experimenting with the
examples provided with Allegro 1.3 (e.g., the pict scrap handler routines) and
am interested in anything additional that might be available on the net.
If anyone has advice and/or examples regarding extensions to MACL
I would much appreciate hearing from them.

Dan Pliske	dpliske@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 19 Feb 1990 15:59:57 EST
From: Bruce Blanar <BGB100@psuvm.psu.edu>
Subject: Apple Lisa 2 Information

Hi,
   I'm looking for some help with an Apple Lisa 2 computer I just bought.  The
system configuration is:  Apple Lisa 2 model #A6S0200
                          1M RAM
                          800K 3.5" floppy
                          Hard Drive (capacity yet unknown)
   I got the system with only a few docs, and the only software is the stuff
which is on the HD.  When I start up the system, the HD autoboots and starts
to run MACWORKS XL 3.0 (c)1985.  I get a "Welcome to Macintosh" message window,
and then the system starts to load a program called JCLOCK.  JCLOCK puts the
current time in the upper-right hand corner of the screen, then I get a system
error, ID=02 alert box.  None of the docs I have tell me about what the system
error codes mean.  Sometimes this system error comes up with ID=33, but usually
the error is 02.
   If anyone has any info they can pass on to me, or where I can get more info,
please let me know.  I got the system cheap, and I would like to get it up and
running.  From what I understand, if I had a Lisa startup floppy, I could
start the system up from the floppy and repair the HD(maybe), but at least I
could get into the system.  Unfortunately, I don't have any floppies for it,
and Mac startup files won't work.
    Again, any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Blanar
BGB100@psuvm.bitnet
-------
 __   __   __   Bruce Blanar            |"Everybody need a mood lifter,
|__) | _  |__)  Penn State University   | Everybody need reverse polarity."
|__).|__|.|__). BGB100@PSUVM.bitnet     |                      -Rush
                voice: (814)862-8036    |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 14:59:44 -0600
From: fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Francis N. Godfrey)
Subject: Booting off an AppleTalk server

The subject line pretty much says it all. Even though this may have been
answered before, I am wondering if it is at all possible through the method
of altering the Mac ROMs that a person can boot up a Mac from an AppleTalk
server.

Francis N. Godfrey
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 09:39:02 EST
From: Padmanabhan Anandan <anandan-padmanabhan@YALE.EDU>
Subject: CMS harddisk problem solved

It is probably too late to stop my previous posting, but I have found
a solution to my CMS harddisk problem (in any case, perhaps there are
other ignorant users like me who can use this):

1. Start the mac using a system diskette
2. Open the apple menu, and click on the control-panel while
   holding down the shift, command, and option keys (thank heavens for
   two hands and twenty fingers!).
   A dialog box appears asking if you really want to zap the PRAM. Click
   on "yes".
3. Nothing really seems to happen---the harddisk icon does not appear,
   but if you restart the mac immediately things are back to normal,
   the harddisk appears and the RAM seems to have been cleaned up.

A curious thing was that I ran the ZapPRAM utility provided by CMS,
but that seems not to solve the problem. But to their credit, I did get my
current solution from a CMS technical support person.

--anandan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 08:59:53 EST
From: munnari!mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU!akkh@uunet.uu.net (Alvaro Kau Kam HUI)
Subject: Different header on different page with word4??
Hi,
        Could I ask whether there is a way to create different
header on different page WITHOUT using section breaks???

        I don't want to use section breaks because word4.0
SEEM to reset the page number every time I insert a section
break!

	I will summarize to the net.
        Thanks in advance!!
                                        akkh@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 09:05:45 EST
From: lti2!reg@lti.uucp (Rick Genter x18)
Subject: Ehman 19" displays

I recently purchased one of those incredibly cheap Ehman 19" B&W displays
for my Mac SE.  I should say incredibly *inexpensive* because the display
is **not** "cheap".

I love it.  The quality is the same as the monitor on my Sun, as far as I
am concerned, except that I believe it might be slightly higher resolution.
I was a bit concerned with speed; I'm running a standard SE (not an SE/30,
and no accelerator installed), but it's acceptable.  I should note that I
have 4 MB RAM, so holding the larger bitmap is no problem.

The installation instructions left a lot to be desired.  Fortunately I had
done work on my SE in the past (1 MB->2.5 MB, then 2.5MB->4 MB) and pretty
much knew what had to be done.  A word of caution: if you have an internal
hard drive, there is *barely* enough room for the video cable (which goes
to the punch out area on the back of the SE) to snake through everything.
It took me nearly an hour to install the board in the "slot", mainly because
the video cable kept unhooking itself from the controller after I had
reinstalled the motherboard.

Nonetheless, once I got everything back together with the cable attached, it
was a matter of turning on the Mac, putting Ehman's '19" Init' in my system
folder, and rebooting.  Voila!

Another note: I am running System 6.0.2 and do *not* have the Monitors cdev.
Fortunately, the Ehman Init (I presume) sets up the screens such that the
19" is the menu-bar monitor, and the SE monitor is presumed to be centered and
to the left of the big monitor.  This is just right if the SE and the Ehman
are on the same surface and you place the Ehman immediately to the right of
the SE.  I have my SE sitting on an external hard drive, so the screens don't
line up exactly.  Someday I'll glom on to the Monitors cdev and fix this.

Overall, I am a happy camper.  I bought the monitor because of the ever-
increasing amount of work I've been doing with Think C; having a source window
that extends for 70 or 80 lines in Monaco-9 is *wonderful*, and being able
to have data windows sprinkled liberally across the screen without obliterating
the source debugger or application window is great.  I also do a fair amount
of writing in Microsoft Word; with 1" top and bottom margins, a full-length
window is *more* than a page, and Print Preview is actually legible.

Count me as a satisfied customer; if you're doing serious program development or
writing, the Ehman 19" monitor is a must-have.

					- reg
--
Rick Genter					...!{buita,bbn}!lti!reg
Language Technology, Inc.			reg%lti.uucp@bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue 20 02 90 13:16 Z
From: U009%CCIW.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Epson printers and Macs, Grappler?

David Riddle, King's College London writes:

> There are two products I have heard about in the UK recently.
> One allows an Epson 9-pin (MX/FX/RX) type printer to give 24-pin quality
> when sent ImageWriter LQ codes via a BBC Microcomputer's serial port.....
> yes you heard right... if you have a spare BBC, a spare Epson, (paralllel)
> you can send it stuff from the Mac's SERIAL port to the BBC serial port
> using the LQ driver in the Chooser , and persuade the Epson to give you
> 24-pin quality when attached to the BBC parallel user port!!!

I used to use an Atari/Spectre combo and got the Grappler LS to use with
a Laserjet+ compatible laser printer as the Atari had a parallel port.
When I dumped the Atari for a Plus, I was stuck because of the parallel
interface on the printer. I built a little box based on an 8031 micro-
controller which does the same job as the BBC micro does, I suspect:
it receives the serial print data, buffers up to 8K of it, then feeds
it out to the printer over a parallel port. I believe the Grappler
software can also handle dot matrix printers, but I haven't tried my
Rolland out on it. The requirement for 4X fonts other than the 3 families
that come with the LS software is solved with Adobe's Type Manager.

An added benefit of rolling my own hardware was that an extra parallel
input port was available from the 8255 peripheral chip I used, so the
box is also connected to the PC across the room too, and both machines can
share the laser without switches or cable juggling. Minor hassle- the PC
must reset the printer and re-download any fonts if the Mac used it
in-between times.

Regards, Stu Beal, VE3MWM, (U009@CCIW.BITNET),
National Water Research Institute,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

The future lies ahead... and behind us lies...   lies...   lies.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90  15:29:00 CST
From: Phys300%UNLCDC3.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: How many SCSI's at a time are needed to make a boot?

I purchased a "Cutting Edge" 45 Mbyte drive a few months ago.  I am
more or less happy with it.  It is no speed demon and I had to
replace a noisy fan (the manufacturer, Erhman, sent a replacement
for free.)  But otherwise, it is fine for my needs.

Now here's the rub:  I must turn on all of my SCSI devices (I own a
laser printer) before the drive will mount/boot.  My only other
experience with multiple SCSI devices was with a Jasmine drive and
a laser printer.  In the latter case the drive booted regardless of the
status of the printer.

I called the company (Erhman) - surely, I say, this is a mistake.
Well, it takes a while to find someone who knows what I am talking
about AND who has an answer for me.  The answer surprised me:  I
was told that the company had followed APPLE guidelines in
requiring all SCSI devices to online.  The suggestion is that Jasmine
was NOT following guidlines.

Who is correct here?  Erhman or Jasmine?  It is a royal pain (to the
ears especially) to always have to turn on my printer and leave it on
for the entire session.

Glenn Sowell
PHYS300@UNLCDC3.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 15:45:24 EST
From: Stephen Moye <SMOYE%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #33

The files with type LISA and creator DALE are remnants of a copy-protection
scheme used by Letraset for their program LetraStudio. The fonts were
themselves copyprotected and had to be installed with an installer program.
It was a dumb move on Letraset's part because the installer was known to
crash at least some hard disks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 22:29:59 CST
From: Greg Wimpey <GWIMPEY%TRINITY.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #34

Hi there Mac-type-people:

A while back on this list, I saw a reference to a version of Telnet for the Mac
available by FTP'ing to BYU(I think).  Does anyone else remember this, & if you
do, could someone out there tell me a little more about it?  Thanx in advance.

Greg Wimpey <GWIMPEY@TRINITY.BITNET> Trinity Univ., San Antonio, Texas

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 09:35:38 LCL
From: Gene Smith <ESMITH@suvm.bitnet>
Subject: Mac - Pc file sharing

   OK, I know this is going to sound ignorant but...

   I need to be able to share files between my Mac IIcx and an IBM machine.
What I'd like to do is to be able to have either machine recognize the
disk contents of the other. Is this possible? Could someone point me in
a direction to start looking?

   Thanks!

   As Always
     Gene Smith (ESMITH@SUVM)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 17:59:23 EST
From: michael tarr <tarr-michael@YALE.EDU>
Subject: missing tn #120

I tried to download technical note #120 from the info-mac/apple/tn
archives and found that tn#120 is damaged so that it will not convert
>From Macwrite to MS Word. Can anyone supply the complete TN #120 or
fix the version in the archive...

Mike Tarr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 07:57:52 EST
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Responses to NOT SHUTting DOWN a Mac

Following are some of the responses I received to the question:  "Is it
possible to NOT shut down a Mac".  I hope the various solutions can be of
use to all.

>From:         Caleb Strockbine <QOP@CORNELLA>

I understand that you want to control after-hours access to your Macs,
but I'd like to point out that removing the Shut Down option is probably
not the most desirable way to do it. I work in a Mac facility at Cornell,
and we have a policy that FORCES users to shut down after they finish
using one of our Macs with hard disks. This is important not only because
many users don't know any other way to eject the disks, but also becber
of virus infections we have to deal with.

With viruses, there are really two concerns. The first is that a virus
will infect the hard disk, and the second is that a virus in memory will
infect clean disks inserted into the disk drive. Our solution pretty
much eliminates the second possibility, and good virus checking software
pretty much eliminates the first.

It seems to me that your lab probably occupies an entire room somewhere,
so the most natural solution to me would be to lock the door. If that
can't be done, perhaps you could write or have a student write a short
INIT that won't let the computers boot between certain hours. It would
still be possible to boot from a floppy then, but maybe you could work
around that by installing a disk drive lock like The Muzzle, made by
Ergotron, I think.

Hope that helps a little.
Caleb.QOP@CORNELLA)

>From:     Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>

Yeap, we have a similar problem. A bridge running liason than naive users
could also use VersaTerm pro from. If they shut down the bridge our grad
student/post-doc office falls off the network!

The solution I used (which works with non-malicious users) is to use
ResEdit to modify the title and contents of the Special menu:

The title became: "Special   This is a Bridge. Do not switch off." so
that this line is always displayed in the menu bar, and the menu item
changed from "Shutdown" to "Do not turn me off!"

OK, I know its obvious but it does work. Nobody has shut down that
machine yet.

Having thought about it though, Shutdown is the last command in that menu
and as the menu selection just passes the menu item number when it gets
selected you could try to shorten the length of the menu by one item. The
shutdown would not be displayed or selectable. This too should be easy
to do.  I haven't a mac to hand so it's not been tried.

If you find a better solution please let me know. I want to make the
bridge secure to malicous idiots too!

Kevin 'fractal' Purcell
kpurcell @ liverpool.ac.uk

>From:     BRAD GOODMAN <UA_BKG@NUHUB>

        First a question: If you were to Inhibit shutdown to
        control access, once an authorized user was through
        using the mac, how could he log out, as to prevent
        another unauthorized user walk over to the mac and
        use it?

        Another question: If you were to inhibit shutdown,
        how would lab personel shut down the machines? If
        you just turned the power off, you could screw up
        the disk, and the drive head.

        Answer: To simply inhibit the shutdown, what I would
        do, is to use ResEdit to edit the system/finder
        menu, and remove the Shutdown option from it. This
        would be the easiest way to go about it.

        Answer to my second question: You could write a small
        Pascal program (or something,) that would be a small
        application, which alone, would shut the system down.
        You could put a password on it, so in order to shut down the
        system, you would launch this App, and type in the
        password. Apple says that the System Toolbox function
        to shut the system down should be called only from
        The actual menu, but you could probibly work around it.
        In fact, I'm gonna try to write a hypercard XCMD that
        will do the job for myself.

        Unfortunatly, the obvious way around any of this, is to
        boot the system from a floppy, which will overide any
        security you can put on it.

Brad Goodman
Northeastern University
Boston, Massachusetts

>From:     PUGH@CCC.NMFECC.GOV

I just used ResEdit to disable the Shutdown menu item in the Finder.
That prevents people from choosing it.  Pretty simple.  It's also
easy to defeat if you have ResEdit, but that's not the person you
are trying to stop, is it?  Be aware that there are a couple of
menus with Shutdown in the later systems, for the Portable, for example,
it adds a Sleep option.  Get them all.

Use the following to disable the Shutdown menu.

Start ResEdit.
Open the System Folder.
Open the Finder.
Open the MENU resources.
Open the resources 5 and 15 (if they exist and one at a time).
Scroll to the bottom of the list and find the name ShutDown.
Put a ( in from of it. (This is the disable character for menus).
Close and repeat.
Quit and Save.

Jon

>From:     <RMANGALD@CLARKU>

Try removing the "SHUT DOWN" menu item from the Finder (open the
Finder with ResEdit, open the appropriate MENU resource, and disable
the "SHUT DOWN" command.)

Rahul Mangaldas.
BITNET:       rmangaldas@clarku
Internet:       rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet

>From: Espen Jarle Vestre <espen@ikaros.uio.no>

One possible solution is to edit the finder menus using ResEdit or some
other appropriate resource editor. With ResEdit v.1.3 you would do this:
The only thing you have to do is to open MENU number 5, select the item
"shut down" and then un-mark the "enabled"-button.  The "shut down" menu
item will then appear dimmed in the menu.  You should probably do the
same to the "restart" item.

We did this to the "startup program" menu item of one of our macs,
because some users were turning off multifinder all the time (and
forgetting to turn it on again).

Espen Vestre
Dep. of Math.
Univ. of Oslo

>From:         Chris Kinsman <22487863@WSUVM1>

Just use ResEdit to go into the System file and edit the menu resources.
Find the menu resources that contain ShutDown or Restart and remove them.
I did similar things in our lab to change the Appleshare login from
username to WSU ID#.  I also changed Shut Down to Goodnight and gave it
A COMMAND KEY.

Chris

>From: Assistant Postmaster <BHERSEY@OBERLIN>

I DO NOT KNOW OF A WAY TO DISABLE SHUTDOWN AS A MENU CHOICE --
perhaps there may be a way by using ResEdit on the system resources --
but there may be another solution to your problem.

YOU COULD WRITE A SHUTDOWN PROCEDURE WHICH WOULD BE ACTIVATED WHEN
the user selected shutdown. (See the section on the shutdown manager in
Inside Macintosh vol. V)

THIS PROCEDURE COULD GRAB CONTROL OF THE MAC, PERHAPS SAVE THE SCREEN
while the machine is unused, and then restart when another user selects
a button on the screen.  I don't know about the security software
you are using, but it seems like there might be a way to bypass it during
this controlled restart.

David Hersey
Oberlin College
BHERSEY@OBERLIN (Bitnet)
BHERSEY@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU  (Internet)

                                                Greg.

Postal address: Gregory E. Gilbert
                Computer Services Division
                University of South Carolina
                Columbia, South Carolina   USA   29208
                (803) 777-6015

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 13:07:30 -0100
From: rcbaab@urc.tue.nl (Annard "Icon" Brouwer)
Subject: SPAMM

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I'd like to know all about SPAMM (System Program for Accellerated
>Mac Mathematics).This product is supposed to improve Macspeed by 50%,
>purely by software.

>Price ? Where do I order ? Memory usage ? (dis)advantages ?
>Experiences with the program ? .......

>I have a 1Mb Mac+ and SC40 harddisk . Would the use of Spamm be
>recommended for my system ?

Well, after buying this program I can only say that I'm satisfied with it.
The speed increase isn't as big as they claim (at least not with the programs
I use...). But I think things have become a bit more responsive.
I haven't used it with all my programs though.
Until now I haven't found any problems and I use a lot of INITs/CDEVs!
The size is about 15K, I use it on a 1Mb Mac 512KE with 2 disk-drives.

Greetings, Annard
--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 09:51:19 LCL
From: Gene Smith <ESMITH@suvm.bitnet>
Subject: Tour of the Solar System?

   Is anyone aware of any software compatable with a Mac II that would
take one on a tour of the Solar System? I'd like to be able to start with
Sol and continue with each planet, preferably with pictures (perhaps GIF?)
for each stop.

   Any ideas?

   As Always,
     Gene Smith (ESMITH@SUVM)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 15:10 EST
From: <DANNY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Lassaiz les bon temps rouler!)
Subject: X-Windows summary

A couple of issues ago I requested information on X-windows packages for the
Macintosh.  Here is a summary of the replies I received;  thanks to all for your

        WhitePine Software has an X-windows package for Mac.  I got an info
packet from them, but I am so disorganized I cannot lay my hands on it right
now to get the address.  If you can not get the address let me know, and I will
dig around here and find it.

        Also, I attended a talk at DECUS in Anaheim this past Fall, and someone
said that Apple has an X-windows package which has not yet been released
(Real-soon-now-ware).  That was then and this is now, so maybe it is out or
more nearly so.
************************************

Two products come to mind (I've seen the first demonstrated, but don't
own/run either myself):

1) eXodus, by White Pine software. Check Mac periodicals for an address.
2) APDA puts out MacX for (I think $100). I have not seen this running,
   but I know that it is available.

Both products ASSUME the existence of an underlying communications
network (DECnet or TCP/IP).
*******************************

Yes, there is soon to be X-Windows for Macintosh.

At the dedication for our CRAY Y-MP SuperComputer here at Texas A&M, many
vendors showed up with their workstations to give the students and faculty a
feel for what type of hardware platforms were available for working with the
Cray.  Amongst these was one of the local Apple Reps (Rick Carmichael) who
showed up with a IIci (8megRam/80megHD), an Apple RGB, and an Apple 21" two-
page monitor.  He also had an alpha (pre-release) version of MacX, an
X-Windows interface for the Mac OS.  As far as I could tell, it worked great.
It crapped out a couple of times and hung the system, but since this was an
alpha version, it was to be expected.

What really impressed me was when I asked him if MacX would run on any other
Mac platforms.  He got a thoughtful look, then pulled out his portable
(2megRam/40megHD), copied the software over to it, switched the cabling,
re-booted, and voila! it ran great.  Now, some of the programs that he was
trying to run on the Cray hung the portable as well, but this might be fixed in
the actual release of the software.  The reason why this is impressive is this:
The Mac Portable is one of 5 or less laptop machines that can run X-Windows
software.  And the others need LOTS of ram and other goodies before it can
even begin to consider running X-Windows.

For more information on the development of X-Windows for Mac and applications
to UNIX machines, I refer you to Victor Hazelwood, Texas A&M SuperComputer
Center, (409)845-6907.

Regarding the enquiry on X-window for the Mac, there is a product out there
that makes your Mac behave as an X-window terminal; it is called eXodus, from
a company called White Pine software. I have played with it a little, and
seems to be all right, it does what it claims without too many frills.
************************************

Currently, the only product I am aware of on the market is eXodus,
>From White Pine Software.  I have it, and have found it to be quite
functional, but so slow as to be unuseable for many applications.  It
gives you an Mac window which functions as the root window under X,
and all the X windows appear inside that window.

The only problem other than speed I have had (which is likely caused
by the slow speed) is that eXodus seems to get busy with certain clients,
and ignore requests for new clients trying to connect, causing time-outs
on the hosts.  This problem never occurs when launching programs manually
(e.g., typing "twm&", followed by "xclock&"), but running a shell script
to launch a bunch of clients often results in one or more client complaining
that the X server is not responding and then quitting.

Apple is developing a product called MacX which will likely be released
in May.  It is 8 bits (eXodus is only one bit deep) deep, and (I heard)
will probably use actual Mac windows for the X windows, rather than
rooting them inside of a single Mac window (both approaches probably have
advantages and disadvantages).  We are holding our breath to see how
MacX performs.

To summarize:  I don't really recommend eXodus, but if you can't wait to
see how MacX is, eXodus is all that is available that I know of.

End of Info-Mac Digest