Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (The Moderators) (03/01/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 28 Feb 90       Volume 8 : Issue  41

Today's Topics:
                          basetobase-10.hqx
                         BBSes and Applelink
                           Color GIF files
                             Color Icons
             Database to respond/track Donors and Grants
                     Ehman hard drives (Summary)
                    Hardware/SIMM problem (again!)
           How to import MacRecorder sounds into SuperCard?
                         Hypercard questions
                           HyperFTP-11.hqx
     Immage Writer Problem
                         Mac LAN security....
                           MacPaint Format?
               Need Help with XFCN for Menu Management
                             Power Drives
               Power Supplies in the Platinum Mac Plus
                     Project Management Software?
                           RTF Maker stack
                         Rudy Rucker's CA Lab
                         SendToBack FKEY 1.0
                           Time Calculator
                              TokenTalk
                        White Knight/Red Ryder

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 90 10:59:38 CST
From: mosemann@fergvax.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann)
Subject: basetobase-10.hqx

   BaseToBase 1.0 is an RPN calculator by A. Remy Malan which allows
you to do calculations in hexidecimal, decimal, octal, or binary, and
to easily convert among these bases.  You may perform logical operations
on values and left and right shifts, as well as the normal add, subtract,
multiply, and divide.  It's handy if you don't have something that does
this already.

Russell Mosemann                  Internet:  mosemann@fergvax.unl.edu
My motto: "Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"    The University of Nebraska-Lincoln!

[Archived as /info-mac/da/base-to-base.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 14:47:24 GMT
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL%liverpool.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: BBSes and Applelink

Does anybody out there  know of a bulliten board system that is Mac like
(for example, that looks like AppleLink) rather than character based?

What sharware or public domain BBSes are availble for the Mac. What
experience have you had using them? What is the 'standard' system.
I'm especially interested in any which may be considered different.

I'd like to hear from anybody running an BBS dedicated to mac users.
How do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin 'fractal' Purcell ...................... kpurcell @ liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre              "The people who make the changes are
Liverpool University,                  the people who have the knowledge"
Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK                    -- James Burke, "Connections"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 15:47:43 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Color GIF files

I have been working with GIF files recently and have run into a few problems
which I hope someone can help me with. I have been unable to use Giffer 1.03
on my Mac IIci - it locks up whenever I try to memorize the new image. I
would like to find an application that would perform the same functions
as Giffer as well as edit the file. At least, it would be nice to be able
to crop and resize them.

Can anyone suggest any GIF utilities (PD or otherwise) that I should look
at? Any and all help is appreciated and I will summerize for the net if
there are enough responses to warrant it.

Bob Bolt                    |   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre   |   CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta       |   AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 16:16:38 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Color Icons

I have been experimenting with 3 INITs that support color icons on the
desktop - Colorfinder, IconColorizer and SunDesk. All three work fairly
well, although the ColorFinder icons are the best. I would like to find
a way to create color icons for these INITs. I have seen references to
2 utilities: Rescolors for making SunDesk icons (ic18) and CICN Edit for
ColorFinder and IconColorizer icons (cicn). If anyone knows where I can
find these or any other similar utilites, please let me know. I will post
a full evaluation of these INITs when I am done playing with them.

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 15:45:50 -0800
From: C43JDB%ENG3.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Database to respond/track Donors and Grants

	Hey, all:
	I'm trying to locate a database that will allow me to track
	financial donations and grants made to a hospital.  I'd like to
	be able to create correspondence/charts/graphs that reference the
	financial information without requiring me to manually extract
	the numbers from the database.

	Automatic referencing of the financial data is less important than
	the ability to cross-reference names/addresses/dates/amounts with
	specific projects (i.e., funds donated for a new x-ray machine, etc.).
		Would an ordinary flatfile structure suffice, or would
	relational be required?

Please reply directly to the net, as I'm accessing through the VAX system where
	I work......;-)       Remember--no matter where you go,
			       there you are.

	Buckaroo Bonzai....

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 90 03:30:21 GMT
From: Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: Ehman hard drives (Summary)

Rahul Mangaldas <rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet> was talking about
needing an init to mount removable platter hard drives.

I use two methods regularly: Robert Polic's "SCSI Probe" cdev,
and Bill Steinberg's "MountEm" FKey. MountEm also has the feature
that lets you unmount volumes even you you happen to be running
Desktop Manager, which always leaves files open on volumes.

Both of these free (but copyrighted) programs may be ftp'ed from

        host name       ics.uci.edu
        host IP addr    128.195.1.1
        login           anonymous
        password        guest
	paths		pub/mac/fkeys/mountem.hqx
			pub/mac/cdevs/scsi.probe.hqx

They are also generally available from various other commercial
and non-commercial sites (CompuServe, GEnie, probably sumex-aim)

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 11:13 EST
From: Chris Holoman <PSCCHRIS@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Hardware/SIMM problem (again!)

I am having a troubling hardware problem with my SE upgraded to 2.5 megs.
A few months ago I posted a request for help with an occaisional data bus
sad mac.  Based in the helpful responses (thanx) I decided  to try switching
the current SIMMS around (always keeping them properly paired, of course)
before replacing them.  That worked for about a month.  I then began to get
system bombs (#s 3 and 10, somtimes changing on the screen), sometimes at
what I considered odd times, ie, the computer was not doing,or asked to be
doing anything.

Then yesterday, I got the system bomb which shifted to a sad mac with a
first line of 0000000F.  None of my sources tell me much about an "F" code.
Then on attempting to restart, it became my olf "friend" the data bus error, but
with what I'm almost certain is the same second line as before I switched the
SIMMS.  Does this indicate not a SIMM problem, but something "deeper"?  It
still seems to be intermittent, that is, I can still start up sometimes, but
eventually, I will get the system bomb. HELP!

Chris Holoman
PSCCHRIS@UBVMS (bitnet)
PSCCHRIS@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 12:21 -0300
From: "JOAO C. PORTINARI" <PUCRJPP%BRFAPESP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How to import MacRecorder sounds into SuperCard?

I would appreciate if any of the Mac sound gurus could advise me
on how to import a MacRecorder (version 2.0) sound into a SuperCard
project.
I digitized the sound using Farallon's MacRecorder and saved it using
the MacRecorder usual option (the other options: instrument, resource
and IFF didn't work either).
When I tried to use the "Import Resources" command in SuperEdit, that
file didn't appear in the Dialog Box.
I tried using Sound Converter, transforming the MacRecorder file into
a snd file. But then, when trying to import again to SuperCard, I
got a message saying that the snd format would have to be "snd 2"
(which I don't know what it is).
I am at the end of my resources (8-) now and hope someone could help
me out. (Dan Gookin's SuperCard book and the manuals for both MacRecorder
and SuperCard didn't help very much on this particular aspect).
Thanks in advance.
Joao.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 08:20:09 PLT
From: Greg Burnett <BURNETTG%WSUVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Hypercard questions

For those parties who can help me with the following problems, please
write to me directly and I will summarize the solutions for the list:

- Is there an external function or external command that will check my
  Mac II's color monitor for its setting, and if it isn't set for 2
  shaded B&W it could set the monitor thusly (rather than having to go
  into the control panel)?  Since the visual effects won't work with
  the monitor set any other way I am hoping my stack could check and
  set the monitor's configuration as the stack is opened.

- When I use the OPEN verb to open a document for an application while
  I am in Hypercard it works fine.  Now I'm wondering how to open such
  a document but not have it immediately become the active window,
  rather than the Hypercard session interrupted.

Thanks,
Greg Burnett
BURNETTG@WSUVM1

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 90 12:13:43 EST
From: Douglas Hornig <dug@vax1.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: HyperFTP-11.hqx

Here is version 1.1 of my HyperCard FTP client stack.

FTP is the TCP/IP File Transfer Protocol.  With HyperFTP you can exchange
files over the TCP/IP internet with computers running FTP server software.
You must have MacTCP (tm), Apple Computer's TCP/IP drivers, installed on your
Mac to use HyperFTP.  MacTCP is available from APDA (1-800-282-2732).

The differences from the 1.0 version (posted 12/89) include an improved
interface and several bug fixes.  Many thanks to everyone who sent me their
observations about version 1.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/hyperftp-11.hqx; 51K]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 90 11:00 +0000
From: DURTSCHIR%AC%CSC@csc.isu.edu
Subject: Immage Writer Problem

For some reason I couldn't mail this to SAM@pomona.claremont.edu

Sam, I would bet your problem is related to too much mechanical
friction in the bearing that the print head is mounted on.

To prove this, I would suggest you simply grab the print head
with your hand and slide the head back and forth (with the printer
power off) and get a "feel" for the amount of friction. Then
do the same on another printer. Check for any sticky spots
anywhere along the entire path of the head. There will be some
friction but the pull should be consistent along the entire distance.

If the bearing is sticky, spray the polished shaft and the bearing
with WD-40 and work it back and forth and clean all of the crud
off with a towel or cloth. Do this two or three times. Then rub
some light grease like "LUBRIPLATE" on the shaft, just a little bit.
Work it in by sliding the carriage back and forth a few times.

Also, since the print head might be rubbing on the platen, you might
try moving the lever that adjusts the space between the print head
and the platen (the cylindrical black thing) for more distance.

Let me know if this works.

Bye for now
Ralph Durtschi, Electronics Dept at Idaho State University, Vo-Tech.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 22:21 EST
From: <23184116%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac LAN security....

Hey kids,

   I have yet another network problem.  As we all know, the Mac is not exactly
the easiest machine to work with on large nets when the users are not careful
with what they do.
   I have been having problems with our university's public computer site.
I have forty machines running off of a Novell server and need some way to
protect the local hard drives.  People inadvertently put more than one system on
the drives, or misplace things from the system folder.
   I have looked into programs such as A.M.E. and the like, but I was looking
for something a little easier to maintain....
    Our Zeniths have a short .com file which sends a machine to that machine's
server which has all of the system software installed.  The Zeniths are booting
>From the network and I has wondering if there is some way to get the Macs to
boot from the server.
   Any ideas?
   Has anyone else found a simple or novel solution to this problem?

Thanx in advance....

Bill Cockayne
Villanova University Mac Consultant, President VUMUG, Apple Student Rep

Bitnet       [maclab@vuvaxcom]        [231841168@vuvaxcom]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 10:34 MST
From: Andrew Demkin <S882589%CCNODE@vaxf.colorado.edu>
Subject: MacPaint Format?

Help...I'm working on a program to read a MacPaint file
and then display the picture in a window.  To uncompress
the MacPaint data, I'm using the example code which was
given in Technical Note #086:

        for ( scanLine = 1; scanLine <= 720; scanLine++ ) {
                saveDstPtr = dstPtr;
                UnpackBits( &srcPtr, &dstPtr, 72 );
                if ( (saveDstPtr + 72) != dstPtr ) ExitToShell();
        }

For some files this works fine...no problems.  But, when
I try to display other files, the routine crashes
(address error). It doesn't exit through the error-check
(saveDstPtr+72)!=dstPtr, but rather, from within UnpackBits.
Is there some other error-checking that I should be doing?
Any help would be appreciated.  By the way, the dstPtr
is 51840 bytes in size, large enough for any MacPaint file.

Andrew Demkin
The Colorado College
Colorado Springs, CO   BITNET: s882589%ccnode@colorado.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 11:44 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Need Help with XFCN for Menu Management

Greetings,

I am looking for assistance programming an XFCN to manage
Menus (I know it's been done before... I want to have one that
I have complete control over, in terms of it's functionality
and distribution rights.)

Anyway, what I've done is to write an XFCN that uses param[1]
to select a menu manager task such as insert a menu or change
an item, etc.

I've created two menus in the resource fork of my stack.

I call the XFCN to insert the menus, and it does without any
problem.  The menus work.  I can delete the menus and insert
them over an over again without any problem, AS LONG AS I STAY
IN THIS STACK.  When I leave the stack, I delete the menus ON
CLOSESTACK, and reinsert them ON OPENSTACK.  This works a few
times, but eventually,  one of the menus remains in the
menubar when I leave the stack.  The next time I try to insert
the menus, I get a /ghost> menu (with either no title or a
title of garbage).  Selecting the ghost menu crashes the
system.

To re-emphasize. I can insert and delete the menus ANY NUMBER
of times by calling my XFCN from the message box.  But when it
is called from the /on closestack script> it screws up after a
few (3-5) times.

I;m developing/testing this in THINK Pascal on a IIcx running
HC in a 1280 MultiFinder Partition, System 6.0.4 and on a
MacPlus with 2MB of RAM (UniFinder), System 4.2 and an SE/30
w/ 4MB, system 6.0.4 and UniFinder.  I;ve DISabled all INITs
except Vaccine, including MacroMaker and EasyAccess.

Is it possible the this has something to do with the stack;s
file being closed before /on closestack> is actually run???
This doesn;t sound reasonable.  Also, I have no such problem
when I use the NEWMENU and DELETEMENU XFCNs written by Michael
Long of Nine to Five Software (but his XFCNs are all separate,
and don;t handle hierarchical menus).

Thanks for any insights.

Peter Jorgensen
Colgate University
Hamilton, NY 13346
315-824-1000 ext 742
AppleLink - U0523
PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET
CIS - 74010,1353

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 90 17:24:00 CDT
From: "Grootwassink, David" <grootwass@tawc1.eglin.af.mil>
Subject: Power Drives

        There have been some questions raised recently about Power Drives.  I
have recently (I placed the order 5 Jan) purchased one directly from the
manufacturer (Hard Drives International).  All I can say about it is NEVER,
NEVER, NEVER give this company any business if response time is important to
you.

        I had opted to get the 60MB variety and placed my order the first week
of January this year (paid via VISA so there would not be the delay associated
with paying by check).   After what seems like hundreds of calls to the
company it was finally shipped out on the 27th of January (I know that's a
Saturday, but that is what the invoice that came with it said).

        After I got it set-up and used it for a couple of days I noticed that
every couple of minutes the heads would start going crazy inside the drive
(seeking back-and-forth at a very rapid rate).  This would happen every couple
of minutes and last for a second or two, it didn't matter what software was
running or if was just sitting idle running the finder.

        I decided that it was possible that some kind of virus had gotten in
to the system some how so I checked it out with Disinfectant and VirusRx.
Nothing!

        As a last resort I did a low-level re-format of the disk and put on
nothing but the operating system directly from the Apple distribution disk.
After 15 or 20 minutes of sitting running the finder, the heads started doing
wild seeks again.  So I called their customer service number and they agreed
to exchange it.  I boxed it back up and got it sent off on the 7th of
February.  Today is the 23rd of February, I haven't gotten my disk back yet,
and all I can get from the customer service line is that they will put a RUSH
on it.

        Moral of the story: I guess you get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the company or its competitors, I'm just
a very dissatisfied customer.

==
  Lt. Dave Grootwassink                      USAF Tactical Air Warfare Center

             INTERNET: GROOTWASS@TAWC1.EGLIN.AF.MIL  (129.61.5.1)

PHONE: (904)882-4100      AUTOVON 872-4100
       (904)882-4600              872-4600
==

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 01:36:47 GMT
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL%liverpool.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Power Supplies in the Platinum Mac Plus

Is the power supply in the most recent version of the Mac Plus
an intelligent switch-mode PSU (can accept 110 to 240 volts AC input, like
the SE)
or is it still a single voltage linear PSU?

If it is a single voltage supply -- how difficult is it to change from
240 to 110 volts: a tap on the transformer or a new transformer?

This is important as I am thinking of buying a UK Mac Plus to use in
the USA at a later date.

Please reply direct to me
Kevin 'fractal' Purcell ...................... kpurcell @ liverpool.ac.uk
             Surface Science Centre, Liverpool University
"Clever men and women will always be interested in ideas. That is what
makes clever men and women so dangerous" -- Paul Johnson

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 14:18:22 EST
From: eric%bnrmtl.UUCP@iro.umontreal.ca (Eric Brunelle)
Subject: Project Management Software?

Hi,

   Two managers here have been asking me about project management
software on the Mac.  I know of MacProject II, but that's all.  Does
anybody know of (/have/use/like/despise) anything else?

   Respond to me directly, I will summarize for the net if worthwhile.

Eric.

  Eric Brunelle                          |    "C'est la nuit qu'il est beau
  BNR-Montreal (Bell-Northern Research)  |     de croire a la lumiere."
  eric%bnrmtl@iro.umontreal.ca           |                 E. Rostand

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 20:40:00 PST
From: bri@garnet.berkeley.edu (Brian Reilly)
Subject: RTF Maker stack

Hi,
The following HyperCard stack by Bill Engels generates RTF files that
can be read by Microsoft Word.
---
Brian Reilly			Division of Language and Literacy
bri@ucbgarne.bitnet		UC Berkeley School of Education
bri@garnet.berkeley.edu		Berkeley, CA 94720
---

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/rtf-maker.hqx; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 16:24:32 GMT
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL%liverpool.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Rudy Rucker's CA Lab

Recently somebody asked about Rudy Rucker's CA (cellular automata) lab,
see Computer Recreations, Scientific American, Feb 1990. Specifically
if it was available for the Mac.

Well I asked him:

On Fri, 23 Feb 90 00:03:30 PST Rudy Rucker (acad!megalon!rudy@net.uu.uunet)
said:

>someday maybe, if calab does well enough.  But only for color macs.
>little B&W jobbies can go the way of CGA.  You ought to buy CA Lab
>just for the manual, its my best book since The Fourth Dimension.
>Simply phone toll free 800 525-2763.

Arrgggg, philistine -- those B&W mac's are still cute!

Hope this is of some use.

PS Has anybody noticed that AutoDesk now have Ted Nelson (Xanadu, Computer
Lib/Dream Machines and Literary machines) and they're heavily into virtual
reality research and Rudy Rucker works for them. Would anybody from AutoDesk
mail me a comment. Oh yes, and they have the biggest selling CAD program in
the world! I think they're planning something.

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 21:12:23 PST
From: 6600pete%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier])
Subject: SendToBack FKEY 1.0

Folks: someone asked me to write an FKEY that would send the
current top window to the back of the window stack. So I did.
I added the ability to flip the second deepest window up to
the front. In this way you can "toggle" between two windows.
Pretty simple stuff, after you get past some THINK Pascal
window management mysteries. Have fun; it's free...

Pete Gontier   | InterNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu, BitNet: 6600pete@ucsbuxa
Editor, Macker | Online Macintosh Programming Journal; mail for subscription
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/send-to-back.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 10:14:25 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Time Calculator

Here's a request for someone to create a utility (or DA) which can
calculate minutes and seconds.  I often want to add lists of
timings: figures like 1:22, 5:34 and 15:02.  The seconds don't total
up to minutes properly on a regular calculator, of course, so I have
to do it manually.  What I want is a calculator which will know that
sixty seconds equals one minute.  Even nicer would be a calculator
that also knew there are sixty minutes in an hour.  Anybody know of
such a thing?  Maybe in a HyperCard stack?

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 23 Feb 1990 13:47:03 EST
From: "Lew McDaniel"                   <U1E28%WVNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TokenTalk

We are considering methods of interconnecting an existing Appletalk net to
a proposed Token Ring running IBM PC Lan and Lan Manager.  Has anyone
experience with Apple's TokenTalk NuBus Card and SMB File Transfer program?

Thanks
Lew McDaniel
Administrative Computing Assistance
West Virginia University
304-293-3011

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 09:15:12 CST
From: mosemann@fergvax.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann)
Subject: White Knight/Red Ryder

   In infomacv8-030 Denis Beauchemin mentions that White Knight cannot
perform a "ZModem receive (download) automatically".  I am using White
Knight 11.04, and it does automatically perform a Zmodem receive
(download), as described in the documentation.
   The February 13 issue of MacWEEK p. 45 compares Software Ventures
Corp.'s MicroPhone II 3.0 and The FreeSoft Co.'s White Knight 11.04.
One of the more interesting observations is that the most significant
differences between MicroPhone and White Knight aren't in features and
performance, but in the ways they are distributed, supported, etc.  It
is interesting reading.
   One of the features I like about White Knight is the procedure
language which allows you to write simple to complex procedures for
controlling or automating just about anything connected with the
communication process.
   If procedures are not enough for you, pull out your favorite
language and write RCMD's to extend White Knight's capabilities or
create a whole new front end, write a different modem driver, or
design your own shell resources.  All of this is documented in White
Knight Developer's Toolkit.
   If any one has the Toolkit, the unencrypted version of ProcEdit,
or anything else that Scott Watson has posted, would you please send
it to me?  Thanks.
   White Knight may not be for you, since everyone has his/her personal
tastes, but for me, it is relatively inexpensive, expandable, and performs
well.  (The manual is kind of fun to read, too.)

| Russell Mosemann     | "I think, therefore I am."  Descartes, p -> q|
| "Semper Ubi Sub Ubi" | "I am, therefore I think."  q does not -> p  |
| My opinions are      |  Internet:  mosemann@fergvax.unl.edu  GO BIG |
| my opinions!         |  The University of Nebraska-Lincoln!   RED!  |

End of Info-Mac Digest