Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/03/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  2 Mar 90       Volume 8 : Issue  43

Today's Topics:
                             BBS Software
                            Beijing font?
    Conner Drives--Roll your own? 200 Meg? Hard Drives Internat'l?
                     Easy Envelopes Plus 1.5c.hqx
                        Gatekeeper Aid & id=2
       How many SCSI's at a time are needed to make a boot?
                      IBMPC dial-up to APPLETALK
                          Info-Mac Digest V8
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #35
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #36
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #37
                LCD projectors and their alternatives.
                          MAC <-> DOS files
                               MacClade
                           Mac FTP from BYU
                               Mac IIxi
                                Nisus
                  Path for NCSA Telnet with BYU Mods
                        PostScript help needed
                      PostScript output display
                   Shareware Fees (how to pay them)
                          Solar System tours
                  Sonic Finder 1.1 for System 6.0.4
                          Super OzTeX Needed
                       Token Ring Card for Mac

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 11:26 EST
From: <JK_APPLE%UNHH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BBS Software

Hello All:

    I need to find a 'BBS' like program to run on a
Mac SE (20mb HD and 1mb RAM).  A prof. out here wants to have her graduate
students "file" reports to her via a modem.  The grad. students are doing
work/research at high schools all over the state and need to report in.
The software just needs to have upload/download, mail features.

I wasn't thinking of anything like Timbuktu from Farallon, just a simple BBS.

Thanx in advance for any info!

*       Joe Kazura      Apple Computer - Student Rep            *
*       The U.T.C.      14A Thompson Hall - UNH                 *
*       Durham, NH      03824-3547      (603) 862-1328          *
*       BITNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH        Applelink: ST0566       *
* Disclaimer - The Views Expressed Are MINE!! Not even Apple's  *

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 17:13:21 PST
From: white@whistler.sfu.ca (Steve White)
Subject: Beijing font?

I'm looking for Beijing font in 16 and 24 point sizes.  Any ideas?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 19:51:54 GMT
From: Darrell Skinner <PMIDS%FRPOLY11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Conner Drives--Roll your own? 200 Meg? Hard Drives Internat'l?

    Has anyone had experience "rolling his own" drive using a Conner 40 Meg
mechanism (CP 340)?  This SCSI drive is exceptionally shock resistant and is
used in lots of PC laptops, and it is also used by CMS for Macs.  I got a
good deal on a drive, and am hoping to carry it between Macs at home and the
office.  I'm looking for a little hardware info (is a terminator built in?
what are the jumper assignments?), and maybe a tale of success with public
domain/shareware drive software.

    Also, recently I saw a Conner 200 Meg drive advertised for under $1000
(Feb Macworld p.284; Feb MacUser p.273), which is an exceptional $/Meg ratio.
Does anyone know what is so special about this new drive and what Conner is
doing to achieve this?  The Conner drive was advertised as an internal kit by
Hard Drives International, a low overhead, minimal warranty, direct sales
company (which I believe has sold lots and lots of PC drives).  Can anyone
report experience with their "UniMac" formatting and partitioning software?
I wouldn't expect the greatest piece ofsoftware at their price--but is it
adequate, does it establish true Mac disk partitions?

Darrell Skinner / PMIDS@FRPOLY11.BITNET / Ecole Polytechnique / France

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 90 01:10:43 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: Easy Envelopes Plus 1.5c.hqx

Here is version 1.5c of the Easy Envelopes Plus Desk Accessory.  The major
change for this version is compatability with the HP Deskwriter printer and
some other bug fixes.  For those who don't know, EE+ is a DA that will
print your return address, mailing address etc. on a printer with font/size
info and it will store this information like a Rolodex.  You can use the
feeder on a Laserwriter to print the envelope out.  Great utility!!
Install how you usually install DA's, (Font/DA Mover 3.8, Suitcase II, Juggler)
UnBinHex and UnStuffIt with Stuffit 1.5.1.  Enjoy!   Willi

[Archived as /info-mac/da/easy-envelopes-plus-15c.hqx; 89K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 14:19:45 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: Gatekeeper Aid & id=2

Each time I attempt to impliment use of Gatekeeper Aid I bomb with a
id=02 when exiting applications.  I am running a Mac Plus with 2.5M,
Gatekeeper, DiskeeperII, and few other inits.  Also attached are two
volumns via PacerShare.  Quite clearly it is GKAid - put it in the
system folder reboot do some work BOMB - take GKaid out reboot do the
same work no bomb.  ???

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 90  0207 PST
From: Tovar <TVR%CCRMA-F4@sail.stanford.edu>
Subject: How many SCSI's at a time are needed to make a boot?

It's not clear how many SCSI devices have to be connected for the SCSI bus
to work.  It depends on how the SCSI signal TERMPWR is handled.  The SCSI
bus must be terminated through a 220/330 resistor network (a simple IC) to
+5V and GND, and this termination must be at both ends of the SCSI bus.
Presumably since Apple had so much trouble on the 128K and 512K models with
devices stealing +5V to power peripherals, they don't supply terminator
power on the SCSI bus.  If the SCSI spec. is followed, with TERMPWR being
supplied through a protection diode, then only one device need be on.
But if a device is paranoid and does not propagate TERMPWR (thus limiting
potential conflicts to neighboring devices), then you may need more devices
on.  The worst case i can imagine would require three devices, the first
(beyond the Mac), the last device, and the device on interest in the
middle.  It may seem like you have to have everything on, but it may not
actually be the case entirely.

In short, it shouldn't be necessary to have everything on, but it may seem
that way sometimes.  Try rearranging the order of devices, perhaps putting
the boot device on an end of the bus, to reduce the number of devices which
need to be turned on to achive functionality.

				-- Tovar

------------------------------

Date: 26 February 90, 22:18:25 CST
From: Michael R.Cagle 214-886-5421 <CAGLE@etsuadmn.bitnet>
Subject: IBMPC dial-up to APPLETALK

We have purchased a Linotype typesetter attached to an Appletalk network using
Mac IIx's and Mac IIcx's for composition stations. Many users on our campus
use IBM PC compatible computers. All the IBM computers are connected to an
Equinox Data Switching System. We got a Shiva Telebridge with the typesetting
system. Is there software available for IBM PC compatables to talk to the
typesetting system Appletalk network via the Shiva Telebridge. As you can
tell, I don't have much experience with Macs?

Your help will be appreciated.

Michael R. Cagle

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 09:10:26 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8

sign-on messages to users on an AppleShare network:  Such a beast
exists.  It is called StrtScrn (or some such abbreviation of StartScreen)
and is in the archives (I believe it is in the INIT subdirectory).

   I have played with it and find that it works flawlessly.

Bret Ingerman                                 ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu
Microcomputer Consultant                           ingerman@suvm.bitnet
Syracuse University                                      (315) 443-1114

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 19:25 N
From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #35

Brad Goodman writes:

>       I am learning Toolbox programing, and want to be able
>       to write an INIT, using Think Pascal. Has anyone here
>       ever written one? Can you give me some tips? .....

I have two tips related to writing INITs:
-- Macintosh Technical Notes #110 (Standalone Code) in the
   archives,
-- MacTutor Vol. 5 No. 10 (October 1989) containing "Writing
   INITs in Pascal" and "Writing INITs in THINK C"
Hope this is useful,
                     Pieter Stouten
                     STOUTEN@EMBL.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 14:37:24 EST
From: Mike Silva <EOO102%URIACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #36

I have found that the Telebit T1000 high speed dial modem to be very
reliable and extremely error-free. It is compatible with lower speed
hayes-type modems at 2400,1200 and 300. It accepts the Hayes command set
and works well with the Shiva Telebridge product. At 9600 it uses it's own
protocol for error free transmission but it is transparent to the end devices.
You can call 1-800 TELEBIT to find your nearest dealer.

            Mike Silva     EOO102@URIACC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1990 14:01-EST
From: Ingemar.Hulthage@isl1.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #37

I would appreciate information on good, not necessarily very inexpensive,
software for inventory bookkeeping and Materials Resource Planning.

Thanks
Ingemar Hulthage
iaeh@cs.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 12:39 EST
From: RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu
Subject: LCD projectors and their alternatives.

Hello. My boss, here at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, has been chosen
to present the keynote speech at a very large meeting next year (~5000 people).
We are interested in investigatin the possibilities fo projecting a Macromind
Director presentaion onto the screen. I know that there are several LCD
projectors, but I wonder if they will look so good at such a large scale (I
imagine that the screen will be large).

Does anyone have any experience with any of these technologies? How do you
solve your presentation needs? Do you think we would be better of with a
slide show, or video tape or what? (cost doesn't matter too much).

I would appreciate any help that any of you might be able to give us.
Thanks.........

Read Fritsch

addresses:

    Internet                   Snail-Mail                America Online
    ********                   **********                **************

RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu     3343 Forbes Ave.                 ReadF
        or                  Pittsburgh, PA 15213
MNT@vms.cis.pitt.edu        (412)624-0587

by the way, in this case, my opinions ARE those of my employer!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 16:29 EST
From: <JK_APPLE%UNHH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MAC <-> DOS files

In INFO-MAC #38,

Gene Smith wants to be able to share files on disk with an IBM.
"...to be able to have either machine recognize the disk contents of the other."

The program you might want to look at is "DOS Mounter" by Dayna Systems.

It's an INIT that allows the Mac finder to recognize a DOS disk.
The disk has an ICOON as well as it's files, the directories are shown as
folders and some DOS files will load right into Mac applications!

MacWare House has it for $55 (US).

Hope this helps,

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 16:57:25 CET
From: "Willem N. Ellis" <A429WILL%HASARA11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacClade

Somebody asked for a program called MacClade.
This real gem was written by Dave and Wayne Maddison. The program's use is for
interactive assessment of a most parsimonious phylogenetic tree. It doesn't
replace a program like Phylip or PAUP that more or less guarantee to find
the "best" tree but forms a nice complement, if only for people who consider
these other programs a black box, or for educational purposes.

Version 2.1 is the latest one I have, but version 3.0 is about to come.
If I am well informed the e-mail address of Wayne is HETERO@UCBSMSA. If this
doesn't work, write c/o  Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University,
Cambridge MA 02138, or phone: (617)495-2472 or 495-2464.

Hope you'll be able to obtain it. Enjoy!
Willem

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 10:55:01 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac FTP from BYU

There is a version of NCSA Telnet which has *client* FTP capability -- it is
advertised as "contributed" software from BYU (i.e., no support from NCSA). It
is available on zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.wsu, but I forget the path -- just "dir" and
"cd" around in reasonable places. I have used it several times with great
success and no problems.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
Academic Computing Services           YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1226
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 15:37:41 GMT
From: gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown)
Subject: Mac IIxi
ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu writes:

>Seems that the IIxi will be a high end model to be introduced in
>March 1990. The only detail disclosed is that it will house a 68040 chip.
>Now judging by press releases from Motorola, the minimum speed is 25Mhz going
>all the way to 50Mhz.

It seems that that info is a bit old.

MacLeak (MacWeek) said that Apple has announced that the mach. will be
called the IIfx, house a mere 68030, but run at 40 MHz.  The bottom
line is that it will be twice as fast as the IIci.

--Glenn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 22:32:20 -0500 (EST)
From: John Hill <jh5f+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Nisus

Does anyone have experience with Nisus?  I would be particularly
interested to hear a comparison with WORD 4.0.  If this topic has
already been discussed, please feel free to direct me to the
appropriate responses/digests.

Thanks!
John

John Edward Hill                   Dept. of Biological Sciences
INTERNET: jh5f+@andrew.cmu.edu     Carnegie Mellon University
BITNET: jh5f+@andrew.bitnet        4400 Fifth Avenue
412-268-5122                       Pittsburgh, PA.  15213-3890  USA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 11:59:41 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Path for NCSA Telnet with BYU Mods

The software is available from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50) in
directory /NCSA_Telnet/contributions.  There are a few different versions
(MacTCP, etc.), differentiated by filename.

This is the software which has client-mode FTP capability.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 9:38:45 EST
From: "LT Peter A. Nardi" (CompSci) <nardi@cad.usna.mil>
Subject: PostScript help needed

     I know this subject has been discussed before, but I need some
additional information.  Converting MS-Word files to postscript is
accomplished using the k or cmd-k technique from the laser writer
print dialog box.  Once this is done, what type of postscript file
is created?  Is it apple printer specific?  The "!%Adobe 2.0" first
line looks the same as on the files my office-mate creates on his
IBM-PC.  But my postscript files will not print on our QMS-PS810.
     Is there a list of printers which support this method of postscript
file generation?  Is there a public domain program that will fix
k/cmd-k postscript files to work on a variety of printers?
     I'm surrounded by IBM's, and solving this problem will be my only
hope of using my MAC to access our laser printers at work.

Thanks in advance.....

-=<Pete>=-
pete nardi
nardi@cad.usna.mil

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 22:11:36 -0600
From: fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Francis N. Godfrey)
Subject: PostScript output display

Is there software for the Mac that will process a PS file and then show
output to the screen instead of a PS printer?

Francis N. Godfrey
CNS - Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 18:15 N
From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shareware Fees (how to pay them)

Several shareware programs are around here at EMBL.
After having tried them out, there are several that we want to keep
and pay for.
There is one slight problem, however. Without a written receipt from
the author of a shareware program there is no way that EMBL can pay
for it.
So my question is:
Has anybody (as a potential buyer of shareware programs) encountered
similar problems ?
If so, were the authors of these programs willing to send bills or
were the problems solved in any other way ?
Every suggestion to how to deal with this matter is welcome, either
to me or to the net.
Thanks in advance,
                    Pieter Stouten
                    STOUTEN@EMBL

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 02:38:56 -0800
From: Brian Bechtel <blob@apple.com>
Subject: Solar System tours

In article <9002252110.AA19905@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Gene Smith
 <ESMITH@suvm.bitnet> writes:
>   Is anyone aware of any software compatable with a Mac II that would
>take one on a tour of the Solar System? I'd like to be able to start with
>Sol and continue with each planet, preferably with pictures (perhaps GIF?)
>for each stop.

On the CD-ROM that comes with the AppleCD SC drive, there is an example
of such a program.  It's called StarDate, and it was produced in
conjunction with the University of Texas McDonnell Observatory.  (Of
course, I've probably misspelled the name of the observatory.  Don't
bother correcting me.)

I don't know any way to get a copy, unless you can find someone with an
AppleCD SC drive.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 90 15:30 EST
From: Greg Smith <SMITH%BKNLVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Sonic Finder 1.1 for System 6.0.4

Since the Macintosh System Software version 6.0.4 came out, the
Finder has had the undocumented ability to play sounds corresponding
to various events.  Such events include opening and closing windows,
creating and deleting files, and even modifying windows.  All you
really need to take advantage of this feature is a piece of code.
Drag Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config to your system folder
and reboot.  You will then have a sonic Finder!

This is version 1.1 of the package.  New features in this version
include the ability to play different sounds for any file or folder
and support for more sounds.  The cdev has also changed in appearance
to accomodate the additional sounds.  If the caps lock key is depressed
then Finder Sounds will be silent.  Please send any bug reports to one
of the addresses below.

Finder Sounds is FreeWare.  You are encouraged to redistribute this
package to your heart's content, but you must include the document,
Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config in any redistribution.  You
are also not allowed to charge any money for the Finder Sounds
package.  While Finder Sounds is FreeWare, it is not public domain,
and I retain the copyright.  You must be running System 6.0.4 to use
the Finder Sounds package.  Enjoy!

+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Greg Smith                 | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet       |
| Systems Analyst            |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet        |
| Bucknell Computer Services | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu          |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@amethyst.bucknell.edu |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801              |
+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/finder-sounds-11.hqx; 186K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 09:19:23 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Super OzTeX Needed

I was using OzTeX to process a LaTeX file, when I received the message:

TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [buffer size=500]
If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Does anybody out there have a copy of OzTeX which has been "hacked"
to increase the buffer size an additional 500K to 1 Meg?
(I work on a Mac with 2.5 megs memory.)
I don't have the programming saavy to hack it myself.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University
ICBAL@ASUACAD.BITNET
icbal@asuvm.inre.asu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 27 Feb 1990 07:38:34 EST
From: "Chuck Yoke"                     <U1E31%WVNVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Token Ring Card for Mac

In a July 1989 issue of LAN magazine, a news brief states that Apple
was going to announce a 4 MB Token Ring Card for the Macintosh (not Tokentalk).
 I have yet to see any announcement of this card.  Does anyone have any
information about this?  Is it vapor?  In the works?  Or just a dream?
Thanks in advance for the help.

End of Info-Mac Digest