Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/09/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  8 Mar 90       Volume 8 : Issue  48

Today's Topics:
                           AppleTalk Zones
                    Audio CD player with CD ROMS?
                            CD-ROMs, MNP.5
                        Converting ASND to snd
                            Easy-Envelopes
                          FPU Code in Xcmd's
                      Internal HD to External HD
                 International Phonetic Alphabet Font
                             Lifelab 2.1
                                MacTCP
                    Memory size and booting speed
    MS Word 4:  Print Merge command and Document/Next File option
               PC <-> MAC File Transfer Help Requested
                         PopChar Version 1.1
                         Queries for the list
                       SE/30 software problems?
                            SimCity cheat
                           StuffIt batching
                  Submission for comp-sys-mac-digest
                   SYSTEM HEAP ADJUSTMENT QUESTION
                      TCP/IP Terminal Emulators.
                  tennis stroke sounds contribution

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 15:33:13 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: AppleTalk Zones

Greetings,

Can someone give me an overview of what AppleTalk zones are and how they
work (how they are assigned, controlled, etc.)?  I've never had to deal
with them before, but with the installation of our GatorBox we have had
one defined, and we will soon be getting AppleShare file and print servers
>From Apple as well.  What I've read on the topic seems pretty vague.  A
pointer to a good reference text would be welcome as well.

Thanks.  I'll attempt to summarize for the net if people send me responses
directly.  If someone is particularly astute on this topic, I'm sure the
rest of the net would appreciate the information.

Bruce A. Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator    = Boise State University
"It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer"=  1910 University Drive
========================================================       Boise, ID  83725
InterNet/Domain: duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu              = Office: (208) 385-1250
CREN (BITNet): duscarte@idbsu [] CompuServe: 76666,511 =    Lab: (208) 385-1859

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 12:03:01 EST
From: earwax@kepler.psych.nyu.edu (Rebecca L. Novelli)
Subject: Audio CD player with CD ROMS?

I have access to a very low-priced (slightly used) audio CD player.

My question is:  Has anyone ever hacked a audio CD player for use in
reading Mac CD ROMS?  I know a SCSI controller would be involved, as
would a proper software driver.  Are there commercial SCSI controllers

and drivers which could be adapted for the purpose, or would this have

to be done completely from scratch?

My goal in doing this is to save some money and learn something in the
process.  What do commercial CD ROM players for the Mac generally sell

for mail order?

Thanks alot,
  Jeff Hoover

Please respond to novelli@um.cc.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 16:28:24 EST
From: fsteele@csun2 (Fraank Steele)
Subject: CD-ROMs, MNP.5

 I have two questions...
1) Does anyone know of an up-to-date index of available CD-ROMs? Ideally, it
   would tell which were Mac-only, which IBM-only, and which were both.

2) Is MNP.5 (the error-correcting protocol) worth the extra money in a modem
   and why? Have any of the major on-line services implemented MNP.5 support?
   I have two friends about to buy modems and they're trying to decide whether
   to spend the extra money for the extra capability.

I'd appreciate any help on either topic. Please reply directly, and if there's
interest, I'll summarize for the net.
						Frank Steele
						Bitnet: fsteele@uga
					      Internet: fsteele@csun2.cs.uga.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 15:36:46 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Converting ASND to snd

Greetings,

Is anyone aware of a program (commercial, shareware, or whatever) that
will convert ASND resources (the sound resources in World Builder) to
regular snd resources (type 1 or 2 either one)?  Someone here has
received a World Builder file that they would like to extract a couple of
sounds from.

Thanks for any help.

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 1990  20:04:13 EDT
From: FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu    (J. Feustle)
Subject: Easy-Envelopes

This is the second time around for me with this problem. Every time
I download Easy-Envelopes and try to unpack it, BinHex tells me that
it comes up with a CRC or END of FILE error. Any suggestions?

I'd love to be able to use this DA, but I gotta unpack it first.

Thanks,
Joe Feustle
FAC0395@UOFT01

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 14:24:27 -0900
From: "NetHack demi-god"  <FTDKL%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FPU Code in Xcmd's

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the process of writing some XCmd's for HyperCard.
They deal with math functions like ArcCosine, HyperbolicTangent and
so on.

I am using MPW Pascal v 3.0.  I also would like to generate code for
the 68881/2.  Does anyone have any ideas as how to make the XCmd's
compatible with non-FPU Macs?

I know of the SysEnvirons call but am wondering if one can mix FPU and
non-FPU code in the same XCmd.  Is there a way to make MPW compile
a certain subprocedure with FPU ability while leaving the rest of the
XCmd code 'normal'?

Please respond to me.
Thanks,
Dan LaSota.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 15:28:58 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Internal HD to External HD

Greetings,

Does anyone know of an enclosure and power supply setup that one can
put what was intended to be an internal hard disk (in particular, the
Apple 80M HD with 5.25-inch platters) into and convert it into an external
drive assembly?  We have a couple of these lying around and would like to
put them to use, but all of the machines either already have internal hard
disks or are in cases incompatible with the 5.25-inch platters (that is,
it won't fit).

I have "heard" from "people" that such kits exist, but I need particulars.
A phone number would be particularly useful.

Thanks.  I'll summarize responses if you would send them to me directly.

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 15:38:54 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: International Phonetic Alphabet Font

Greetings,

Does anyone know where I can obtain a font containing the International
Phonetic Alphabet?  This is not the fingersign font, this is a font that
contains the phonetic symbols that are used in the dictionary to give the
pronunciation of a word.

Thanks for any help.

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1990 23:55:17 EST
From: RICH@suhep.phy.syr.edu (Richard S. Holmes)
Subject: Lifelab 2.1

This is Lifelab 2.1 by Andrew Trevorrow.  A program to run Conway's "Life"
cellular automaton as well as other similar automata (e.g. 3-4 Life, Fredkin's
replicator).  Has a number of nice features such as symmetry detection, glider
suppression, pattern searching, etc.  Also comes with a good collection of
interesting configurations.

- Rich Holmes (rich@suhep.bitnet / rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/app/lifelab-21.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 15:24:46 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: MacTCP

Greetings,

Could someone tell me what the price and product number for MacTCP are
(I know it is available through APDA), and more importantly, why would
I want to put it on our Macintoshes (we currently run Telnet and TN3270
>From our Macs on AppleTalk through a GatorBox to the building Ethernet
and out to the campus fiber and beyone).  I need to know if current and
planned products are likely to use MacTCP rather than their own drivers...

Thanks!  If you send responses to me, I'll summarize, or if you are
particularly expert on this topic, I'm sure there are other network novices
like me on the list.

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 90 11:13:16 CST
From: GR4486%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jack Logan)
Subject: Memory size and booting speed

Hi all,

After I have installed 2 pc of 1 meg SIMM (to make the SE 2.5 meg of
RAM), the startup speed seems to have slowed done considerably.  Is this
a normal phenomenon or is there anything wrong?  (I did experience some
crashes, which I believe to have been caused by the memory management routine
of some software, not the SIMMs.)

A related question: According to the SE manual, hold down the mouse
button until after the beep would make the Mac bypass memory check, to
gain boot speed.  But it doesn't seem to work for me. (I know it works
for the Plus.)

Any clue about these?  Thanks.

--- Jack <GR4486@SIUCVMB.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  2-Mar-1990 13:08:14.03 CST
From: <rcd2403%tamchem.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (R. C. Davis)
Subject: MS Word 4:  Print Merge command and Document/Next File option

Hello,

I'm busy typing on my thesis,and I have a question about using
WordRef 1.3 (you out there, Mark N.?) with Word's Next File option
of the Document command.  It seems that when I use Word to try to
Print Merge X number of documents linked with Next File,
all I get is the first file iterated X times.  What gives?  My only
recourse (I suppose) is to link all the sections into one big Word
file, then Print Merge.  Doesn't the Print Merge command recognize
the Next File option?  Please reply to me before you reply to the
list since I've got to get this thing done by next week!

Ricardo Davis
BITnet: RCD2403@TAMCHEM        Internet: RCD2403@CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU
Word of wisdom:
"He that hath truth on his side is a fool as well as a coward if he is afraid
to own it because of other men's opinions."  - Defoe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 16:36:31 EST
From: williams@cbl.umd.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: PC <-> MAC File Transfer Help Requested

I am about to begin a project in which I and several other people will
write an undergraduate biology lab manual.  Currently the plan is to use
"Ventura," a PC-type program that I think is a lot like Aldus's
PageMaker, to do the final assembly and laser printing.  The individual
sections of the manual will be written (actually are already written) on
PC's (Sprint, WordStar) and Mac's (MS Word 4.0 and earlier).

What is the best way for all parties to this project to transfer files
back and forth?  So far, we are considering the following possibilities
(but would appreciate alternatives that we haven't thought of!):

1.  Buying an FDHD disk for the Mac (a plain SE).  Any experience with
these?  Any restrictions in what kinds of files can be stored in MS-DOS
format?

2.  Getting a +/- fancy PC-Mac exchange program with various translation
protocols.  We already have the Mac hooked to a Toshiba lap-top via
cable.  Any suggestions for what program to use?

What is the state of the art in word processor-to-word processor
translation programs?  Do any of you know of WORD(mac) to Word Star (PC)
translator programs?  Word 4.0 itself, of course, can save files in Word
(PC) format, but what else is available?

Any help would be appreciated.  If interest is sufficient, I'll summarize
for the net.

		Bill Williams
		St. Mary's College of Maryland
		Williams@CBL.UMD.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 90 10:38:17 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PopChar Version 1.1

This is the long-awaited version 1.1 of PopChar.

PopChar is an INIT/cdev that pops up a list of all characters
available in the current font (including characters that are
normally not accessible from the keyboard). Selecting one of
these characters immediately inserts the character at the
cursor location as if the proper keyboard combination were
pressed on the keyboard.

Changes since version 1.0:
 - PopChar can now be controlled via the Control Panel. It is
   now possible to select the hot corner.
 - When a character is selected, PopChar displays the proper
   key combination needed to generate the character.
 - A bug that occured on a Macintosh x and cx has beed
   extinguished.

Thanks to all those who contributed their ideas.

The best of all is that PopChar is FREE!

MacWrite documentation is included.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/popchar-11.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 18:01:13 EST
From: eric <OFABEGB%UVMADMIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Queries for the list

1) I need help understanding how to install an extra card in a Mac SE.
I routinely add a MacIRMA (IBM 3270 emulation) board to our Mac II and
Mac II cx (as well as memory, videio cards, etc) but this is my first
time in an SE.  It is a real mess by comparison. I want to sell it as
soon as we can replace it.  Meanwhile I cannot seem to get the board to
fit and it comes with NO installation instructions 'cause I'm supposed
to pay a dealer to install things.  Please send suggestions to me - I'll
post if asked.

2) Is there a quick reference to determine which system files are MANDATORY
and which are optional (system 6.0.3)?

3) Microsoft WORD and EXCEL do not have a provision for setting default
folders for work files or for auto-timed backups. Is there any way around
gaps?  Will Microsoft address this in future releases?  Do they care?
(word Perfect/Mac handles both well, but does not do tables, etc. yet).

4) Bold type and plan type do not seem to align right in EXCEL columns -
any suggestions?

5) Are there EXCEL and/or WORD lists active someplace for users
with application problems and not hardware/system software concerns?

          ________            ____
        /          /|        /    \          Eric G. Broque
       /          / |       /     |    Financial Analysis & Budgeting
      /_____     /  |      /_____/        University of Vermont
     /          /   |     /      \           OFABEGB@UVMADMIN
    /          /----|    /       |          (802-656-3244)
   /          /     |   /        /
  /          /      |  /________/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 11:09:37 CST
From: Jim Wirtanen <MN032773@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: SE/30 software problems?

An administrator on our campus has been having trouble running some software
on his SE/30.  Specifically, he's been unable to run the Buick Demo, and some
assorted games.  Is it possible that the clock speed on the SE/30 is too fast
for some of the software out there, or is it a question of the sofware not
being written to Apple's specifications for upward and/or downward compat-
ibility?  Or is there some other reason?  Perhaps a way to slow down the clock
speed to make the incompatible software run?  Any help would be beneficial.
* JIM WIRTANEN, AUDIOVISUAL LIBRARIAN                                  *
* MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY         "DISCLAIMER: AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST"  *
* 500 UNIVERSITY AVE.; MINOT, ND 58701 <MN032773 AT NDSUVM1>           *
* PHONE: 701-857-3094; FAX 701839-6933; APPLELINK:U0650; PLANET: EARTH *

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 20:49:27 EST
From: Robert Szarek <413077%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SimCity cheat

money by typing "FUNDS" with the shift key down. This will give you
an extra $10000 in the till. But watch out IRS is out there.

Rob Szarek
Bitnet : 413077@UOTTAWA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 16:24:45 EST
From: vita@disney.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita)
Subject: StuffIt batching

GurgleKat [Pete Gontier] writes:
> jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu wrote about batch unStuffIting and
> batch unBinHexing. He mentioned that most of the suggestions
> he got centered around 'frames. I agree that this is too bad.
> But I'd also like to point out that there is a little-known
> feature of StuffIt 1.5.1 that allows batch UnStuffIting, and
> that is to shift-click all the files you want unStuffed in the
> Finder, and then hold down the shift key right after you
> double-click one of them (or hit command-O). All the files
> will be unStuffed 'batch' style. It's amazing what one finds
> by RTFM'ing. :-)

The only problem with this is that all the resulting files get thrown
together in the same folder.  You end up with a huge mish-mash of binaries,
documents, readme files, preference files, etc., and it's a real pain to
sort out what goes with what.

What StuffIt needs desperately is a feature that would work exactly as
above, except that right before it extracts everything from an archive, it
creates a new folder called "<archive name> Folder" (or something), and
puts all the contents of the archive into that folder.  This way the result
would be exactly one new folder for each archive you had selected, each
containing the contents of the corresponding archive.

The maddening thing is that the forthcoming commerical version of StuffIt
has this feature--almost.  When I was at the Macworld Expo last August, I
got a demo of a prerelease version of StuffIt Deluxe from a guy who was
either the president or vice-president of Aladdin (which is not a very big
company).  There's a new command called "Quick Unstuff" which does the
above operation--extracts the contents of an archive into a new folder--but
only for one file at a time.  I said that it would be really swell if this
"Quick Unstuff" command could be the operation that is performed when
opening files from the Finder with the Shift key held down.  He agreed and
said he would try to get this change put in.

However, later Ray Lau showed up at the booth, and I expressed the same
suggestion to him.  For some reason, he didn't seem too thrilled about the
idea.  He seemed to think it would "complicate the interface".  I'm not
sure what he meant by this, or whether I was expressing myself clearly, but
I didn't really want to argue about it.

So, I guess we'll have to wait until StuffIt Deluxe arrives to see if this
feature made it in.  It looked to be a pretty nice upgrade, with some
snazzy new features (such the ability to navigate through a HMF archive a
la SFGetFile, have more than one archive open at once, be able to move
files between archives by just dragging files from one archive window to
the other).

Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita
Schenectady, NY

------------------------------

Date: 3 Mar 90 23:22:10 GMT
From: dcatla!zdmlk@gatech.edu (Michael L. Kornegay)
Subject: Submission for comp-sys-mac-digest

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest
Subject: Mac uucp/usenet/email?
Date: 3 Mar 90 23:22:09 GMT

I am looking for software for my Mac to allow me
to participate in uucp file transfers, usenet news
reading/posting, and uucp email sending/receiving.

I am aware of UUPC 2.1 for Mac, it is not Mac like.
I am also aware of a gateway under development for
Quickmail, a Mac email package.  Someone told me
Microsoft has a UUCP gateway, "for internal use
only?", that works with Microsoft Mail.

Can anyone suggest other software that may perform
the above mentioned functions, especially usenet
and email.

--
Please respond via email, I will summarize to net when appropriate, thanks.
Michael Kornegay, 73237.576@compuserve.com

------------------------------

Date: 22 FEB 90 19:34:49 CST
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SYSTEM HEAP ADJUSTMENT QUESTION

Hello,

    I have a situation in MultiFinder in which I need to adjust
my system heap.  I know how to do this with Widgets but would like to
know how to change the system heap without Widgets.  Do you use
ResEdit, FEdit, etc.?
    I'm quite competent with ResEdit (yeah--sure, well  I can get
around pretty good in it).  If some kind soul could help out, I'd
be quite appreciative.

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 20:01:24 GMT
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.daresbury.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: TCP/IP Terminal Emulators.

Does anyone know of any good TCP/IP emulators. PDomain or Comercial[D[D

At the moment I am using NCSA Telnet which is Okay.
What I really need is something that will work over the Ethernet but has the saame Graphics capability as VersaTerm Pro.
I am connected to the Ethernet Via A Kinetics FastPath. To a Vax.
Also are there any other ways of using the Vax similar to Pacerlink.
So that I can use Ethertalk to the Vax rather that TCP/IP?
What I suppose I am really after is some way of running Versaterm Pro over the
Ethernet by using Ethertalk.
I Know that this can be done using Pacerlink. But we are a bit short of Cash and therefore need some other alternative cheaper method.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Peter Hardman.
Chemistry Department.
Manchester University.
Oxford Road.
Manchester.
England M13 9PL.               Email  hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa
                                  or  hpj@uk.ac.dl.dlva
				  or  HARDMAN@uk.ac.man.cs.cgu

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 15:45:47 PST
From: gcrum%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu (Gary Crum)
Subject: tennis stroke sounds contribution

Here are three tennis stroke sounds, ideal for use as notification sounds.
A binhexed sound suitcase follows.

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/tennis-strokes.hqx; 28K]

End of Info-Mac Digest