Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/10/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  9 Mar 90       Volume 8 : Issue  50

Today's Topics:
                         .Pit & .Snd summary
                Announcing TechMail for the Macintosh
                 AppleFileExchange MSDos Translators
                   Canadian users of America Online
    Conner Drives--Roll your own? 200 Meg? Hard Drives Internat'l?
                         Disabling Automount
                            Disk weirdness
                             DOPPLEMAKER
                       DOS-Mounter Info, Again!
                        Ethernet to LocalTalk
                         Excel - zero values
                   Flash-It ScreenDump CDEV V.1.2b2
             Hard Disk problem AND Cricket Graph Feature
            Info-Mac V8-I43 Re: PostScript output display
                  mac --> kinetics fastpath --> sun
                    Pyro/MS Mail incompatibility?
                         tar & Z file suffix
                Turbo Pascal support for List Manager
                      X windows and big monitors

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 09:59 EST
From: <BDOWNING%FORDMULC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: .Pit & .Snd summary

Of the replies I received to my recent posting regarding .Pit & .Snd files
the following contains the gist of the answer. Many thanks to all of those
who replied to my questions.

>   You can UnPack '.pit' files using StuffIt.  This option is under the Other
> menu item as UnPack File....
>   Those sound files you click on contain 'snd ' resources and were probably
> created with ResEdit.  This is good.  That means you can put the sounds in
> your system folder with ResEdit or use Suitcase II/MasterJuggler to access
> them.  Then you can select them with the sound control panel device.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% 19.2K baud desires on a 300 baud pocketbook     Brian Downing              %
%                                                 BDOWNING@FORDMULC.bitnet   %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 22:07:19 -0500
From: hoffmann@mit.edu (Ron M. Hoffmann)
Subject: Announcing TechMail for the Macintosh

Announcing TechMail, an electronic mail system for the Macintosh.
You can obtain TechMail via anonymous ftp over the Internet from
net-dist.mit.edu (18.72.0.3).  The distribution is located in the
directory /pub/TechMail.

TechMail lets you:

	o  Create, send, and receive e-mail from your Macintosh using
	   familiar Macintosh tools

	o  Exchange e-mail with other e-mail users both locally and
	   on the Internet, BITNET, and other connected networks

	o  Store e-mail in "boxes" you create and organize on your
	   hard disk

	o  Printe e-mail messages on your local printer

	o  Send e-mail that includes files (ASCII text-only) created
	   in your favorite word processor

	o  Create your own e-mail address and mailing lists

	o  Use public mailing lists

TechMail is a product of MIT Information Systems.

Follows is a copy of the A-Readme file which describes the parts of
the distribution and system requirements.

                         X-------------------X

This directory contains the V 1.0 distribution of TechMail for the
Macintosh.  TechMail is an electronic mail program which allows
Macintosh users to send and receive Internet mail messages amongst
themselves and any other host which can be reached via the Internet.
TechMail makes use of a post office / SMTP server on the network.  See
below for more information about this.

TechMail is copyright 1990 by MIT.  It can be freely copied for
non-commercial distribution.  Check the copyright notice in the
documentation for limitations.

While we are not releasing the source for TechMail at the present
time, we will be doing so in the future, probably in fall 1990.
Please don't ask us about source; we'll announce it's availability in
the various mailing lists and newsgroups when the time comes.

Apple Computer's MacTCP must be installed on each Macintosh that runs
TechMail.  You must get this directly from Apple's APDA.

=====================System Requirments==========================

TechMail has been tested on Macintosh Plus and later computers.  It
requires a connection to an IP network in one of two fashions: via
Appletalk and an Appletalk to ethernet gateway (like Kinetics KFPS-4
or Cayman Gatorbox) or an ethernet card (in the case of the NU-bus
machines).  We have NOT tested TechMail with third-party ethernet
cards designed for SEs, nor have we tried using it with SCSI ethernet
adaptors.  A hard disk is strongly recommended as users' mail is
downloaded and stored on their Macintosh.

Since TechMail uses Apple's MacTCP network product, version 6.0.3 or
later of the Macintosh System is required.

==========================TechMail===============================

TechMail is available here in Binhex 4.0 format.

-r--r--r--  1 root       175694 Mar  1 17:22 TechMail-1.0.Hqx

========================Documentation============================

There are three documents, two of them done in Microsoft Word 4.0.
They are targeted at MIT users but you may be able to use large
portions of these in preparing local documentation.  Be sure to
preserve the MIT copyright notice if you do reproduce portions of
these manuals.  Please note that the support phone numbers and email
addresses listed in the documentation are for MIT users only.

-r--r--r--  1 root        50698 Mar  1 17:03 GSguide.Hqx
-r--r--r--  1 root       358648 Mar  1 17:04 UserGuide.Hqx
-r--r--r--  1 root        39876 Mar  1 17:22 Help.Hqx

The first is a short document, done in Word, to get people started and
for our MIT users, describes how to register for an account on the
centrally-supported post office server.

The second (also in Word) is a full-blown user manual with full
descriptions of all commands and depictions of screens from the
program.

The last one is a (text) file which should be installed with TechMail
on each Macintosh.  It contains abbreviated instructions for various
commands and can be reached from within TechMail by selecting Help
>From the File menu.

Two more documentation files are available:

-r--r--r--  1 root      1160836 Mar  1 20:11 UserGuide.PS
-r--r--r--  1 root       123999 Mar  1 18:59 GSguide.PS

These are PostScript versions of the MS Word files.  They are not
exact versions as some of the fonts used on a LaserWriter don't map to
generic PostScript printers.  They do print on DEC printers and are
useful if you don't have MS Word.

======================Post Office Server=========================

The post office server is implemented using the programs included in
the Rand MH 6.6 distribution.  MH is in the public domain and can be
obtained over the Internet via anonymous FTP.  See the file called
GettingMH in this directory for more details.

There is also a sendmail.cf file for Sendmail V 5.61 provided here on
an as-is basis.  It is the one we use on our post office / SMTP
server, with our site-specific information removed.  In particular,
make sure you fill in your local information for the following macros:
Cw, DI, DD, DC, DP.

have yourself added to the list by sending mail to
info-techmail-request@MIT.EDU .

We have very little people-power to devote to answering questions and
comments about TechMail so please don't be offended if you don't get a
response to your questions from the developers.  This list is yours as
(hopefully) TechMail users and we will step in when we can to field
questions and respond to comments.

MIT Network Services

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 90 20:26:58 EST
From: Len Hatfield <ENGLISH@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: AppleFileExchange MSDos Translators

Yo, MacNetFolk:

has anyone out there plenty of successful experience with the Apple File
Exchanger?  We need to be able to get our Mac + and Mac II drives
(neither are FDHD) to read MSDOS-formatted 720k disks.  But though File
Exchanger says it can do this, it turns out that neither it nor the
system are shipped with the requisite translator files.  Indeed, as I
understand it, Apple doesn't even make the dang things.

We already have operating LapLink Mac and can transfer files from Dos to
Mac via its special cables and translators.  But we need the File
Exchanger's Mac ability to work on machines not cabled together, and
unfortunately LapLink's file translators are all DOS executable
programs, not translator tables.

So: has this been discussed before?  Has someone a good (and cheap)
source for such translator files?  Are there better ways to do this?

Thanks for responses!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 90 21:07:38 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Canadian users of America Online

In January, I was sent a free evaluation package for America Online, which
is a new information service similar to Compuserve. The packaging clearly
indicated that I was to receive 2 FREE hours of connect time and the
necessary software to access the service. It also came with lots of papers.
As a veteran Macophile, I plugged in the disk and started to play.

Generally, I was impressed with AO. Most of the information available was
interesting and some of it was actually useful. As the instructions
suggested, I tried everything. They seem to be having a few technical
problems, as a number of times I was disconnected. The software is for
use with AO only and cannot be used for other purposes. Its interface is
a bit cluttered, with numerous windows open most of the time, but nothing
you can't get around fairly easily.

FLAME ON

The problem I have with AO is in the underhanded way they supplied me with
FREE time. I was to receive 2 free hours and after that pay only $4/hr - very
reasonable. What they did not make clear was that users in Canada, Hawaii
and Alaska must pay a surcharge which is not included in the 2 free hours.
After using up almost all of my free time, I discovered, quite by accident,
that I had accumulated over $30 of "prime time charges" even though I had
only logged on at night. I sent a number of messages to their customer
relations people, but no response. Finally, I sent a message asking them
to call me. To their credit, they did. I discovered that the fine print
in all those papers indicated that there was a 20 cents/min surcharge. At
first glance, that didn't seem like much but after a quick calculation,
I realized that this totals $16/hour. WHAT???? I only pay 12.50/hr on
Compuserve and it is a far better service. This is totally unfair and
these charges should have been laid out at the time I signed up. I wonder
how many others have merrily played on this system, only to discover
the underhanded billing when the VISA bill arrives.

FLAME OFF

So, be forewarned, if you are calling from outside the continental USA,
be prepared to pay.

PS. After speaking to the AO representative, they cancelled a portion
of the costs I had built up. Oh well, I guess I'll read the fine print
next time.

Bob Bolt                    |   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre   |   CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta       |   AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 10:05:40 EST
From: jac@ppt.tinton.ccur.com
Subject: Conner Drives--Roll your own? 200 Meg? Hard Drives Internat'l?

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest

In digest <9003030232.AA01915@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Darrell Skinner
	<PMIDS%FRPOLY11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> asks about:

>    Also, recently I saw a Conner 200 Meg drive advertised for under $1000
>(Feb Macworld p.284; Feb MacUser p.273), which is an exceptional $/Meg ratio.
[...stuff deleted...]
>Can anyone
>report experience with their "UniMac" formatting and partitioning software?
>I wouldn't expect the greatest piece ofsoftware at their price--but is it
>adequate, does it establish true Mac disk partitions?

Well, I have had a Conner 100 Meg drive mounted internally in my Mac II for
well over a year now.  I ordered it through MacLand and got the UniMac
installation kit.  The instructions were fine and the software was more
than adequate.  I haven't had any problems and I highly recommend it.

--
Jim Clausing 			jac@ppt.tinton.ccur.com
Parallel Processing Tools	ph. (201)758-7693

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 13:10:28 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Disabling Automount

  Hi all.  Recently I requested help in disabling the automount feature
of AppleShare.  I would like to thank all of you who replied.

  It seems that the simplest solution in this case is also the best.
All I needed to do was to lock the AppleShare Prep file.  This will
still allow for the automounting of a pre-determined volume, but will
not allow you to click in the automount box to set additional volumes
to mount.  You can still mount a volume for use during the current
session.

   There was one small problem left.  If you clicked on the automount
box, you received an alert box telling you there was a problem saving
the startup information.  A little playing around with ResEdit allowed
me to change this message.  DLOG -902 is where the message displayed at
the bottom of the screen is located ("Checked volumes will automatically
bo mounted at system startup time").  I changed this to say "DO NOT
CHECK ANY VOLUMES."  For those users who will check the boxes anyway,
STR -2005 contains the contents of the alert box that will be displayed.
I changed this to say "The Automount feature is not available.  To mount
a volume for this session simply hilight its name and click O.K."

   So now when they try to automount a volume they receive some informative
messages about not being able to.

   Hope this helps others.

Bret Ingerman                          ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 12:06 CST
From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Disk weirdness

Dear Net,

I have a student with a Mac Plus with a Jasmine 20meg hard drive.  On Wednesday
of last week, he increased his RAM to 2.5MB.  Right after the installation,
the system worked perfectly.  The next day, he created a HyperCard stack that
contained about 30 snd resources, stack size around 2000k, which left about a
megabyte on his hard drive (hard drive purchased March 89).  All but one sound
resource played during this session.  The next day when he fired up his Mac,
none of his INIT's showed while the machine booted.  When he opened up his
system folder, only 7 out of the original 40 or so files showed, only files
with "f" or less in their filenames would show.  When he tried to restore files,
only files with "j" or less as first letter of filename would show in the
system folder.  At this time, no other folders affected.  During the weekend,
the "Idea Stacks" folder would not open.

He rebuilt his desktop, but the files which were invisible before were still
invisible.

There were other strange behaviors, too numerous to mention.  It looks like
the next thing to try is to reformat the hard drive.  He has tried reinstalling
the system (6.0.3), etc, to no avail.

Have any of you had weird things like this happen?  Any solutions?

Thanks in advance, and you can respond directly to me at AEEVERETT@UALR.

Albert Everett
Academic Computing Services
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 South University
Little Rock, AR 72204

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 1990 13:33:01 CST
From: MCKINNEY@thorin.hscsa.utexas.edu
Subject: DOPPLEMAKER

HELP!
Does anyone have the phone number for Bolt Consulting (they produce Dopplemaker)
in Edmonton, Alberta? I have lost their number and their sales Literature does
not give a phone number. I tried calling information, but Bolt Consulting is not
listed ( I think the phone is under another name). If anyone has this number I
would sure appreciate your help. Thanks.

Jim McKinney
MCKINNEY@UTHSCSA
mckinney@thorin.hscsa.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 13:08 EST
From: <JK_APPLE%UNHH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DOS-Mounter Info, Again!

Hey people,

        There have been a number of questions about DOS Mounter, so I checked
        out DOS Mounter in the following way:

I took an MS-DOS TEXT file and a WordPerfect 5.1 file and put them onto a
DOS disk.  I popped the disk into a Mac IIcx and waited for the disk to show
up on the desktop.  I opened the disk and Dbl-clicked on the file icons, didn't
open, usual unknown file error.

o     I opened Word 4.0 and loaded the DOS TEXT file in.  Word converted the
      TEXT and put an open box character in front of every line.  A simple
      find-replace took care of that.

o     I opened MacWrite II and loaded the DOS TEXT file in.  MacWrite II
      converted the file without a hitch, CR-LF's were now just CR's!

o     I opened WordPerfect 1.0.3 and loaded the DOS TEXT file in.  WordPerfect
      converted the file without a hitch, CR-LF's were now just CR's!

o     I opened WordPerfect 1.0.3 and loaded the WordPerfect 5.1 file in.
      The file converted the same way as the TEXT file had, perfectly!

Regards,
*       Joe Kazura      Apple Computer - Student Rep            *
*       The U.T.C.      14A Thompson Hall - UNH                 *
*       Durham, NH      03824-3547      (603) 862-1328          *
*       BITNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH        Applelink: ST0566       *
* Disclaimer - The Views Expressed Are MINE!! Not even Apple's  *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 90 19:37:30 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ethernet to LocalTalk

Our faculty is considering putting in an Ethernet backbone that would
connect all of the LocalTalk Mac and Novell IBM LANs. This backbone would
have an e-mail gateway and a mainframe gateway so that all network users
could send mail anywhere and connect to one of our mainframes. I am hoping
that someone can share some experiences with this type of configuration.
I am particularly concerned about the connection between the LocalTalk LAN
and the gateway. We are looking at Liason as a software bridge or something
like a Shiva Ethergate as a hardware bridge. We will be using CE Quickmail
(I think) as our e-mail package and hopefully do all network backups over
the backbone.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 00:51:43 CST
From: kc_yeo%psi%sngsf1@sndrtr.sinet.slb.com (KC Yeo*Sedco Forex S'pore*Tel-65-345-9944*Fax-65-344-2655)
Subject: Excel - zero values

In Excel (I am using version 2.2), the menu OPTION-DISPLAY-ZERO VALUES
toggle display of blank or display of zero when the cell value is
zero.  It affects the whole worksheet.  How can I have this apply to
individual cell only ?  I hope I have made my question clear.
Any reply is appreciated, please send your clues to
KC_YEO@SNGSF1.SINET.SLB.COM
Thank you,
Arthur

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 90   13:55 PST
From: TOGE%SLACVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Flash-It ScreenDump CDEV V.1.2b2

Hello - I have converted Flash-It V.1.1b5, previously an INIT, into a CDEV.
        Now users can compose their own hot-keys to dump the screen image,
        etc.  BTW, the old buggy versions V.1.1b4 or earlier should be
        thrown away.  Regards.

Flash-It is a CDEV/INIT which allows to use COMMAND-SHIFT-C to copy the
screen image to the clipboard, and COMMAND-SHIFT-S to save the clipboard
picture to a PICT file.  The screen-saving works whether Color QuickDraw
is being used, and whether a menu is pulled-down/popped up.  The cross-
cursor lets the user to select the screen area to be saved.
COMMAND-SHIFT-P prints the clipboard picture to a printer.  The user can
change the hotkey combinations from the Control Panel.  For more details
see the attached ReadMe note.
                                            Nobu Toge / SLAC

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/flash-it-12b2.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90  11:28 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk problem AND Cricket Graph Feature

Hi y'all from sunny Edinburgh,

I have a couple of totally unrelated questions that I was hoping someone
out there could help with.

Firstly a small but worrying Hard disk problem.
At coffee time yesterday my kettle exploded. This wouldn't have been a
problem if my Mac SE hadn't been plugged in and turned on at the same time
and on the same lead. (We have a shortage of plugs in our office). Well the
upshot of the story is that the machine went off rather suddenly, without the
normal shutdown procedures. Now, in the past I've experienced slight problems
with SUM TuneUp after unexpected crashes, which were fixed with that miracle
of modern software engineering, Disk First Aid, so I thought that I'd drag
it out of retirement again and let it loose. It came back with the message
"Unable to verify status of disk". According to the manual, this implies
a possibly serious problem. Solution :- reformat disk. Well, I didn't really
fancy doing that. I have copies of all my data, but rebuilding the structure
would be a monumental pain, so I tried to backup the whole disk with SUM
Backup. OK it said. Disk backed up, no problems. Disk First Aid still
insisted that there was. So I optimised the disk with SUM TuneUp and
blocked out any bad sectors. OK it said. No bad sectors and disk optimised
with no problems. "Oh yes there are" said Disk First Aid. So I ran Apple's
HD setup program and re-installed the driver. No problems it said. "Oh yes
there are" said Disk First Aid. No-one around here knows what is going on,
and Apple UK's response (second hand from our local Apple Dealer so don't
sue me) was "Disk First Aid is not one of our best programs". Now if I don't
find a useful solution, then I will reformat the disk and restore it from
the backup, because the data on the disk is important and I don't want it
crashing on me in the next few weeks. But if any of you have an answer....

By the way, system configuration SE 2MB, 20MB HD, FDHD, Gatekeeper, GK Aid,
WindowList 1.3, Superclock 3.3, Flex 3.0, system 6.0.3, finder 6.1.

Secondly, Cricket Graph. This one's an absolute beauty! Apart from the
fascinating 'feature' of only being able to save negative numbers in
exponential form (Good one guys, took us ages to figure that one out!),
we now have the problem that it repeatedly saves graphs in PICT format
without being asked. I have looked at the problem, and it seemed to be
something to do with the colour palette. All our Macs are B/W so I simply
disabled the Show Colours Menu command. All seemed to be well, but the
gremlins have been around. It also seems to involve the Tools palette.
The symptoms are absolutely reproducible.
1) Save a graph in graph form.
2) Quit Cricket graph and go and do something else for a while.
3) Reopen the graph.
4) Show the tools palette such that the graph becomes an inactive window.
5) Make the graph the active window and change some part of it. (Or simply
   fool it by double clicking on an axis and pressing OK immediately).
6) Save the graph. It will now be saved in PICT format.
7) Repeat 1-5 above. Try to save the graph by using Save As... The PICT
   option will be selected. Press the Graph button to specify file type.
   Now press the restart button on the System Error dialog and start again!

Any one have any workarounds or hacks? Different system this time as well:-
SE, 1MB, 20MB HD, GK, GK Aid, AutoMac, SUM Shield Init, SuperLaserSpool,
System 4.3, Finder 6. Oh yes, it's Cricket Graph 1.2 as well.

Sorry if I've been too verbose, but I thought I'd better describe
everything fully.

Please Mail me direct, 'cos I get the digest second hand. I'll summarize
any interesting responses.

Thanks in advance.

Andy Law.

( I'm a Ph.D student. Do I need a disclaimer? )

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6 MAR 90 08:01:24 PDT
From: "Micro Mauler"  <MICRO2.SCHWER@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Info-Mac V8-I43 Re: PostScript output display

        From: fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Francis N. Godfrey)

        Is there software for the Mac that will process a PS file and then show
        output to the screen instead of a PS printer?

There is the ever popular LaserTalk by Emerald City Software that
requires a LaserWrite be connected during interactive session to
interpret the PostScript. More recently, Lincoln & Co.
(800-223-show) announced PostShow which does _not_ require an
LaswerWriter to be connected.

        I have used LaserTalk and like it. I have not seen PostShow.
                        --Len Schwer  micro2.schwer@sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 15:34:51 EST
From: jimg@cs.uri.edu (Jim Gallgher)
Subject: mac --> kinetics fastpath --> sun

We have just installed a kinetics fastpath that we intend to use as a
gateway between our Mac appletalk network and our sun ethernet.
However, our macs cannot see the kinetics box. Has anyone seen this
problem? Any sugestions?

James Gallagher
jimg@cs.uri.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 90 15:05:20 EST
From: Josh Hayes <JAHAYES%MIAMIU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Pyro/MS Mail incompatibility?

Here's a minor problem that's been bothering me.  I have configured
Pyro (v. 2.1) to "wake up" on incoming data from screen or modem
port, but despite this it doesn't wake up when messages come in on
MicroSoft Mail--frequently, when I jiggle the mouse to wake the
screen, then, I get a whole string of mail messages that have been
backed up waiting for an opportunity....anyone know how to get Pyro
to show incoming mail as it, uh, comes in?

Josh Hayes, Zoology Dept, Miami U, Oxford OH 45056
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu (best shots)
or jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (worth a shot)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 14:35 EST
From: JSTEFFNER <DGRAPHIC@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu>
Subject: tar & Z file suffix

Can anyone provide info regarding files with a suffix of "tar" and/or "Z".
What program is needed to convert these to usable files.  Will Stuffit work?
Thanks much for the help.
Jim Steffner - Oberlin College     <DGRAPHIC@OCVAXC>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 15:17:24 edt
From: Bruce_Kahn@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: Turbo Pascal support for List Manager

CEO summary:
  Can anone on the net pls tell me if they know of any way to get
Turbo Pascal 1.1 to access the newer SE, SE/30, and Mac II toolbox
managers like the List Manger?  Ive been using TP 1.1 for a while now
BECAUSE I needed the Database Toolbox that you can get for it.  Id
gladly change but now Im too far down the garden path.  The problem
w/TP 1.1 is that its 3+ years old and the support people at Borland
say that they havent made any changes 'for years and dont plan to do
anything with the Mac.'  Dont know why they continue to market it if
they wont upgrade/support it much (their attitude toward me when I
said Mac was not too friendly).
  Anyways, Id like to convert the sample code from MacDTS from C to
Pascal so I can incorporate it into a program Ive already written.
The program and the DB Toolbox routines are  too large to convert and
Im on a tight schedule.  According to the TP manual, you can
incorporate MPW Pascal routines 'easily w/minor if any
modifications'.  If anyone can forward some Pascal code that uses the
List Manager Id apprecate it very much!!  Anything will be of help
now.
                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)
PS: TP User group names/#'s are of some help too...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 20:41 PST
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: X windows and big monitors

I am a currently putting together a proposal for an X windows station to
access the VAX/VMS machines I manage.  I also need a Mac for 'personal
productivity' (whatever that means...)  I'd like to combine those two to
save desk space (as well as to justify a bigger, nastier Mac).  Therefore,
I am soliciting any information regarding X server software for the Mac.
Has anyone used eXodus from White Pine, particularly in a VMS environment?
What about Apple's MacX?  Has anyone seen or possibly even used it?

Along with the above, I'm looking for any information on large screen color
monitors.  I'm thinking in the range of 19", but info on other similar sizes
is of course welcome.  Both eight and twenty four/thirty two bit systems
are possible.  I don't need the extra color at the moment, but if it isn't
too much more expensive, I see no reason _not_ to get it.

Finally, please reply directly to me and I will summarize to the net.  Thanks
in advance.

Greg Orman                                  greg@pomona.claremont.edu
Systems Manager                             greg@pomona.bitnet
Seaver Academic Computing Services
Pomona College                              Standard disclaimer-type stuff

End of Info-Mac Digest