Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/16/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 15 Mar 90       Volume 8 : Issue  55

Today's Topics:
                      American Online Evaluation
                 Any PD MacDraw II object libraries?
                             Apple grants
                    ATM and Works, IW2 sheetfeeder
                          ATM patches needed
                             DocMaker 3.1
                         Excel - zero values
                             FBBS081.hqx
                             Font search
                          GIFwatcher 1.0 DA
                           Glider 2.02 beta
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #51
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #52
                        Internet to GEnie path
                Linear Programming packages on the Mac
                        Lisp on the Macintosh
                   M0ire and the Rasterops 264 card
                           MaxZoom Problem?
                            PCPC DATSTREAM
                      System Heap size reduction
              Why does MultiFinder patch PB(H)Open Trap?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 10:25:32 EST
From: "Thomas J. Sterlacci" (PBMA) <tster@pica.army.mil>
Subject: American Online Evaluation

I agree with former Canadian American Online user Bob Bolt's assessment
that it is an impressive Mac-like oriented bulletin board.  But its
common disconnect problems coupled with no Z-modem capabilities makes it
very frustrating and expensive to say the least.  I was using part of my
2 free hours downloading a rather large (>200K) file when a disconnect
occurred.  I received just over 90% of the file!  Frustrated, I sent a
message to AO administrators suggesting that it would be a good idea to
upgrade your software to incorporate Z-modem. I even offered to upload
the source code for them.  Their answer was quote,"The America Online
software uses its own protocol and we will most likely not be
introducing any other protocol online.", unquote.  I think they're
wrong. Z-modem offers so many more features over X-modem (I presume they
are using X-modem), particularly; file recovery after a crash.  The lack
of Z-modem could warrant discontinued use of a bulletin board
(especially in this case).  Well I have to the end of the month to
finish my evaluation, but I'm basically going to tell them to give me a
call when they incorporate Z-modem.

       #################
       ##    ####     ##
       ##   ##   ##   ##         /-S--I--G--N--E--D-/
       ##   ##     #  ##   Thomas J. Sterlacci, Chemical Engr,
       ##     ##      ##   Project Manager, Sel Ammo & Small Cal Br.,
       ##      ##     ##   Load Assembly and Pack Division,
       ##  #     ##   ##   AMSMC-PBL-S (D), AV 880-5064
        ##  ##   ##  ##    Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5001
          #   ####  #
           ##     ##
             #####
               #

Disclaimer:  I speak for myself which is good enough for me.  You could
take it from there.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 10:32 EST
From: <FILLMORE%EMRCAN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Any PD MacDraw II object libraries?

I was wondering if there are any public-domain MacDraw II object libraries.
I need pre-built objects such as PCs, Macs, Sun workstations, mainframes,
Crays, communications symbols, etc. for drawing a network diagram.
Any help would be much appreciated.
________________________
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 11:48:07 EST
From: Robert Brickman <ROBRICK%ERENJ.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple grants

Greetings,

  Does anyone know if Apple has a program of grants for non-profit
institutions and if so, whom to contact and how to submit proposals. Any
info would be appreciated. I do not subscribe to this list so please reply
to me directly in  addition to the list.

Thanks in advance,

(The opinions expressed are my own but you can have them for free -
which may be twice what they are worth).

Bob Brickman            Bitnet:  ROBRICK@ERENJ
                        Voice:   Not this year
                        ICBM:    74 52' W, 40 38'N

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 08:00:59 PDT
From: "Carl Benson" <CARL%FHCRCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ATM and Works, IW2 sheetfeeder

I tried Adobe Type Manager (ATM) when it first came out, but
returned it because of problems with character spacing when used
with MS Works.  Does anyone know for sure if the latest version
of ATM still has this problem with Works?  Otherwise it seemed
like a very good product.

Secondly, could users of the ImageWriter II sheetfeeder share
their experiences, positive or negative, with me?  Is it reliable?
Is it difficult to install and remove?  I need to switch back and
forth between regular bond paper and continuous feed materials
such as index cards, rolodex cards, sheets of labels, etc.

Thank you for any responses.

Carl Benson    (206) 467-4862
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA
CARL@FHCRCVM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 16:41:58 CST
From: GR4486%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jack logan)
Subject: ATM patches needed

Hi All:

I am having problems in using ATM with both Word 3.0.2 and WriteNow 2.0 - the
character spaces do not print right on the ImageWriter II.

I had a patch file for Word 4.0, but displaced it because I do not use 4.0
and I hesitate to patch Word 3.0.2 with that file.  Does anybody know of
anything of the same kind out there that can batch up Word 3.0.2 and WriteNow
2.0, so that I can benefit from it?

Helps are greatly appreciated.

-- Jack <GR4486@SIUCVMB>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 16:41:39 PST
From: aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts)
Subject: DocMaker 3.1

  DocMaker 3.1 is an application which can create "stand-alone, self
running documentation files which feature scrollable/resizable windows,
graphics, text styles, and full printing capability."  Stand-alone
documents can contain up to sixteen 32K chapters, which can be accessed
via a menu in the standalone document.

  Written by Mark S. Wall of Green Mountain Software.  Shareware ($20).
The StuffIt archive includes an introductory manual in the form of a
stand-alone DocMaker documentation file.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . 219 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              aron@ucbgarne.bitnet . (415) 642-5974

[Archived as /info-mac/util/docmaker-31.hqx; 140K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 17:48:49 CST
From: "Mark R. Williamson" <MARK@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Excel - zero values

In Info-Mac Digest Volume 8 ; Issue 50, KC Yeo asked:
>In Excel (I am using version 2.2), the menu OPTION-DISPLAY-ZERO VALUES
>toggle display of blank or display of zero when the cell value is
>zero.  It affects the whole worksheet.  How can I have this apply to
>individual cell only ?  I hope I have made my question clear.

When you set the numeric format of a cell in Excel, you can set up to
three different formats, of positive, negative, and zero values.  (In
2.2, you can also set a format for character values, which is the 4th
format.)  If the cell in question is normally in "General" format, set
it to "General;General;" format, meaning "display positive or negative
values in General format, but display zeros as blanks".  Similarly for
other formats, like "$#,##0 ;($#,##0);".  Is my answer as clear as your
question?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 01:06:42 PST
From: Fernando Borcel <borcelf@jacobs.cs.orst.edu>
Subject: FBBS081.hqx

*

This is FBBS version 0.81
(c)1990, Fernando Borcel

This preliminary version package contains:

 x FBBS v0.81
 x FBBS Files (DEMO)
 x FBBS v0.81 Manual (in MSWord v3.00 format)
 x FBBS v0.81 Manual (in MacWrite format)

FBBS v0.81 is a preliminary version of FBBS v1.00, which is due in March,
1990.  It has some limitations, but I decided to put this version out so
people can become familiar with it.  Right now it lacks a File Section
(which is currently being put together and tested) and the External
Applications Section.  Also, some speed improvements will be made by the
time the final version is released.

Also, FBBS 0.81 is the first Official release of FBBS.  Older versions used
some different formats for their data files, and they're not supported by
this release.

The FBBS Files (DEMO) folders contains all the Text Files FBBS currently
uses.  These files can be transfered into the FBBS Files when this is
created by FBBS, and eventually be modified to suit your taste.

The manual is provided in MSWord 3.00 and MacWrite formats.  Just as FBBS,
the manual is a pre-release.  Efforts have been made to ensure it's
readable, clear and has few errors and inconsistencies, but I can't
guarantee that right now.  I have several people proofreading it at this
very moment.

FBBS Requires at least 128K ROMs (i.e. Mac 512Ke or newer).  1 MB and a
hard disk are strongly recommended, but not absulutely necessary.

BUGS:
These are the "major" known bugs at this point:

 x XModem:  MacBinary has not been fully tested and debugged.  Some errors
 may appear, as incorrect renaming of the downloaded file, etc.  I suggest
 you not to use XModem for now, unless you want to test it and send me
 reports of what's going on.

 x Text Scrollback:  The scroll bar in FBBS's main window is disabled.  You
 can only see the current screen.

 x Miscellaneous Files:  Make sure you follow the manual's directions
 exactly, bacause no error detection is being performed.  Test your
 work by looking the results of your settings.  If you see something
 unexpected it's probably because you've made a mistake.  If a file can't
 be found the Miscellaneous Files menu will be shown again.

 x You can't set ! (sysop level) to be the clearance necessary to access a
 message board yet.  If you do that, ANYBODY will be able to access it.
 This rather silly bug will be fixed shortly.

 x Setting modem speeds:  Unchecked speeds won't be automatically logged
 off.  This means that if you have a 9600 bauder and you don't want to put
 up with a 300 bauder, leaving 300 baud unchecked will have no effect.  All
 speeds from 9600 (inclusive, of course) down are good.  If you want to get
 picky on speeds you'll have to wait for v0.9!

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/fbbs-081.hqx; 168K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Mar 90 16:13:03 GMT
From: Donald Peterson <PetersonDM%computer-science.birmingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Font search

I have to produce camera ready copy of a book on a Mac IIcx with
access to a LaserWriter (and then finally to a Linatronic).  I have
the OzTeX system of TeX / LaTeX for the Mac, but no screen font for
the Computer Modern typeface -- is this available either on public
domain, or commercially?

Donald Peterson.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 16:31:26 PST
From: aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts)
Subject: GIFwatcher 1.0 DA

  GIFwatcher 1.0 is a desk accessory which allows one to view GIF
(CompuServe's Graphic Interchange Format) files while they are being
downloaded.  Works with communications software which allows time for
background tasks while receiving files; the author has successfully
tested this DA with White Knight 11.04.  Can display GIF images in
color or in dithered black & white.

  This DA can also be used as a standalone GIF file viewer, but is
substantially slower at opening such files than other utilities,
according to its author.

  Written by Kerry Shetline (kshetlin@hawk.ulowell.edu), shareware ($15).
StuffIt archive includes documentation in MacWrite format.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . 219 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              aron@ucbgarne.bitnet . (415) 642-5974

[Archived as /info-mac/da/gif-watcher.hqx; 25K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 16:20:04 PST
From: aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts)
Subject: Glider 2.02 beta

  Glider+ 2.02 beta is an arcade-style game where the objective is to
pilot a paper glider or dart through 15 rooms by riding drafts from
floor and ceiling vents while avoiding collisions with furniture and
other nasty obstacles.

  Written by John Calhoun, shareware ($5).  "Only works on a Mac
Plus or more recent."  StuffIt archive includes documentation in
MacWrite format.  THINK Pascal source is available from the author.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . 219 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              aron@ucbgarne.bitnet . (415) 642-5974

[Archived as /info-mac/game/glider-202b.hqx; 78K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 19:46:02 -0500
From: bill@mousetrap.canton.mi.us (William S. Johnston)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #51

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> I have a original Mac (which I upgrated !), but shortly after the purchase
> I had to get another disk drive, and I got a Super 5 400K. I no longer use
> it much today, however I would like to keep it as back-up. This 400 K
> external drive now requires some servicing after using it for more than
> four years. I 've used a cleaning kit without success. Can somebody refer
> me to a respectable shop specifying the name and address where this small
> maintenance work could be done ? By the way, the manufacturing cie is no
> longer in business...

I haven't seen a Mac 400K drive yet that didn't just need to be taken apart
and cleaned with alcohol!.  All you have to do is open the case then use a
Q-tip to clean all the thick goooooyyy oil/grease on the moving parts of the
drive located on the sides.  Dont clean the motors just the pieces of metal
that move when you insert a disk.  Then after you have cleaned all the oil
away use another Q-tip and put just a tiny bit of motor oil or sewing maching
oil around the moving parts.  I have been doing this to 400k drives for quite
some time and haven't had one come back yet.  You have to work the new oil in
by inserting and ejecting a disk for about 15 minutes to make sure that every-
thing is working smoothly..

Bill (ComputerLand Technical Support)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 23:26:59 EST
From: Roger Smith <ACPS5788%RYERSON.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #52

Fellow Networkers,
 Is there any one out there using a mac SE/30 and A/ux (or is that Au/x) I am
taking a course in unix and in particular am interested in hearing some feedbac
k on apple's implementation .Does any one know of a sensible review carried by
a magazize without the letters "M-A-C" in it ;-)
                                                      Thanks
                                                            Roger Smith.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 06:20:00 EST
From: barnett@unclejack.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett)
Subject: Internet to GEnie path

In <Info-Mac Digest V8 #46> you write:
>   Is there a way to send a message from Internet to someone on GEnie?

This is not possible at this time. There are two problems to be slved:

	1) Software - we need to located/design/buy the proper software,
	   and hire someone to do it.
	2) Connection costs - GEnie charges the SENDER for each mail
	   message.

	If we, at the R&D center, acted as a gateway, we would have to
pay for each mail message sent through our gateway. GEnie will not
change their payment policies; it is unlikely we would get reimbursed.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 05:28:28 CST
From: lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl)
Subject: Linear Programming packages on the Mac

This is the promised posting of the responses I received to my query
about Linear Programming packages on the Mac. Thanx to all who
responded; I got several SUBSTANTIAL responses (including one 10-page
response from Belgium :-) -- merci beaucoups to Etienne Loute!)

Charlie

[Archived as /info-mac/report/linear-programming-packages.txt; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 17:28:25 EST
From: Brad.Myers@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Lisp on the Macintosh

My research group at CMU has developed a high-level user interface
development environment for CommonLisp and X/11, and I am wondering if
it would be worth it to convert it to work with Quick Draw also (still in
Lisp).  If there was a high-level Lisp toolkit for developing graphical
applications for the Macintosh, would many people want it?  It is free,
but you need to sign a license from CMU that says you won't sell it, etc.
An added advantage would be that applications in Lisp could be easily
ported from X/11 to the Mac (and back).

Please respond to:  bam@cs.cmu.edu
Thanks,
Brad A. Myers
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890
(412) 268-5150
bam@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 10:01:47 EST
From: fulk@cs.rochester.edu
Subject: M0ire and the Rasterops 264 card

I'm using a Mac IIcx with a Rasterops 264 card.  Over the last few
weeks, intermittently but frequently, my monitor has acted up in a
rather disturbing way: brightening, including dark areas and the vertical
retrace, and then suddenly dimming again.  At the worst, the dark parts are
so bright that text on the screen is unreadable.  I spent a while cursing
Rochester Gas and Electric and Magnavox (it's a Magnavox Professional)
before I tried removing M0ire from my system folder.  Voila!!!!
The problem is gone!!!  Three or four days without a hitch so far.
Prior to removing M0ire, the problem arose every ten minutes or so,
so I think I really do have it licked.

You might ask, "Why remove M0ire?"  Answer: gut instinct, plus the
observation that it was the only thing I'd added that dealt with the
monitor and that was always around when the problem occurred.
Incidentally, it appears that disabling the clock in M0ire may work
just as well.  I'm disinclined to experiment though.

I hadn't sent in my fee for Moire yet.  It looks as if I may have just
saved myself some bucks.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 13 March 1990 11:55am CST
From: STEVE.SWINNEA@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: MaxZoom Problem?

     I tried out the Max Apple Zoom INIT which was posted recently and was
somewhat impressed with the extra "real estate" on the screen.  Nonetheless,
I seem to lose pixels on the left hand portion of the screen ( about an
arrow cursors width worth).  I fiddled with the monitor (Apple 13" RGB)
controls some but to no avail.  Has anyone else had this problem?  It makes
it difficult to initiate popchar and other INITS that use the upper left-
hand corner of the screen.
                            Steve.Swinnea@utxvm.bitnet
                            Steve.Swinnea@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 09:01:05 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: PCPC DATSTREAM

Since the Dec 89 Macworld review of tape backups, PCPC has advertised
DATSTREAM. Has anyone any experience with DAT backup systems,
especially DATSTREAM (Factory direct price of US$2879)?
The JETSTREAM has a direct price of US$4279. I have to make a decision
fast and need more info on the DATSTREAM and DAT backup systems
in general.

Please mail comments to me at ISSTTH@NUSVM.BITNET and I will summarise.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 90 13:01 +0000
From: DURTSCHIR%AC%CSC@csc.isu.edu
Subject: Responses: Trashing Desktop on Bookstore Macs

Howdy Folks,
There was some interest in the responses to my query about how to keep
people from trashing the desktops on our Macs in the book store.

Here are the responses. Thanks much to you all for taking the time.

>From:         Chris Kinsman <22487863%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
NOTE: I lost Chris's message but essentially he said that he had a copy
      of Guard Dog 2.0 which does support passwords and that he would
      send me a copy.

When he does I'll send it to sumex to update their archives.
>From: UC445252@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU

Try protecting the files you don't want thrown away with Resedit or Mactools.
You can even use these to make files invisible (the best way to protect some
things in public sites!)

greg
>From: Greg Fuller <fullerg@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU>
To: DURTSCHIR%AC%CSC@csc.isu.edu
Subject: Re: How To Disable Trashing.
Greetings.....
I was reading comp.sys.mac.digest today, and I think I found a answer to your
question.  I believe the most effective solution is to change the location of
the trashcan to somewhere offscreen.  This can be accomplished by patching
the finder with the program called "trash mover" available from sumex (the
stanford archives).  You could either use stepping out II or another mac II
with a large monitor to move the trash can to a inaccessible location on the
mac II you don't want things trashed from.  The only problem would be in
completely dismounting a floppy by dragging it to the trash, but this can be
accomplished with cmd-opt-E if you are using finder 6.1.4 (hold the option
key down until the floppy icon disappears).
Hope this helps,
Greg Fuller
>From: Karl_Zinn@um.cc.umich.edu
To: DURTSCHIR@csc.isu.edu
I think SecureInit (Direct Software, 415/347-1590) will do what you want
(lock and/or hide applications, kill undeclared files, constrain launching,
copying, etc.).  I've not tested it since the cost is too high for a lab of
machines ($70 per machine up to 9, $40 up to 19, $35 up to 29, etc.).
Perhaps there are other commercial programs as well.
I'm looking for public domain or inexpensive Shareware for open Mac labs at a
community college near the University of Michigan.  So if you find some
inexpensive protection tools for your bookstore situation I'd be interested
to hear of them.  (The U of M uses servers with multilanuch protection in its
open labs, very few hard drives at individual stations, and invisible folders
on the startup disks.)

At the request of the community college I prepared a HyperCard stack which
they are testing as a front end to all common applications and assignments.
That is, students learn about the applications and assignments from cards in
the stack, and launch the applications from buttons on the cards.  I hope the
college staff members find they can trust their students to work from the
desktop, and learn about the Mac as it appears to typical users.  I did do
some things to protect the desktop, eg, use of ResEdit to make the system
folder invisible and put limits on use of the LaserWriter printer. I also
adapted some U of M INITs which reset the parameter RAM (control panel) to
defaults founds useful for lab use, intall a modified Vaccine so that no
option is present to permit modification of a system file or application, and
protect against the WDEF virus.)    Karl

Bye for now,
Ralph Durtschi, Electronics Dept. Idaho State University Vo-Tech.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 11:40:39 PST
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: System Heap size reduction

I am using a Mac+ with 1 Mb and multifinder.  The system heap tends to grow
occasionally such that I am not able to run some applications - not enough
application heap memory.  Whatever expanded the system heap has long left,
and approx 1/3 of the system heap is unused.  Is there anyway to shrink
the system heap short of rebooting?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 19:44 EST
From: WATTS@urhep
Subject: Why does MultiFinder patch PB(H)Open Trap?

Hi y'all,
  Can anyone tell me why MultiFinder patches the PB(H)Open and PB(H)OpenRF
traps?  I have an init that patches these two traps -- and they work fine when
I am running under the Finder.  MultiFinder, however, gives me an error (it
varies -- sometimes file not found, some times "no such volume", etc.).
  I don't think it has anything to do with working directories (I know
MultiFinder always changes your wdProcID to your appl's 4 letter id).  Any
help: much thanks.

	Gordon.

BITNET:   WATTS@UORHEP
INTERNET: gwatts@ruthep.rutgers.edu