Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/17/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 16 Mar 90       Volume 8 : Issue  56

Today's Topics:
             An alternative runtime editor for SuperCard
         cicn <-> icl8  (ResColor, SunDesk, and ColorFinder)
              disk controller inaccessible from software
               Distorting/Slanting Text with PostScript
                           Fax on AppleTalk
                             Greek fonts
                         Hotels for MacWorld
                    I'm the demo, he's the Rapper
                         Jasmine Disk Drives
                  Macintosh BBS Programs - Response
      Need download from CompuServ of MacUser C programming code
              Partitioning an AppleShare Server (2 msgs)
                  Question about VBL synchronization
                 room-hotel-dorm reservation system?
                           Software control
                              Stratego!
                       SYLK Spreadsheet Format
                 Using another mac as second screen?
  Weird Printing Requirement, and Great Plains Software info wanted

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 19:04 MST
From: <TAYLORJ%BYUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: An alternative runtime editor for SuperCard

Enclosed is JRE, "Jim's Runtime Editor" version 1.02.  A smaller, faster,
simpler runtime editor for SuperCard.  Free.  Use StuffIt to decode and
unstuff.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/jims-runtime-editor.hqx; 29K]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 90 03:26:25 GMT
From: Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: cicn <-> icl8  (ResColor, SunDesk, and ColorFinder)

Jason <jblue@mwunix.mitre.org> writes:

>I recently got a copy of ResColor and SunDesk.  I like the color icons
>SunDesk uses, but I found that too often ResEdit (1.2) with ResColor would
>quit for no reason, usually damaging the icon or the whole file containg the
>icon I was working on.

  1. I always make a copy of the SunDesk Icons file before starting
     to hack away at new icons.

  2. Make sure that you are running with enough memory under Multi-
     Finder (or running "uni"Finder.) I have my "Get Info" set to
     2048k on ResEdit because (a) I'm paranoid, (b) I work on large
     files, and (c) I have plenty of memory.

  3. Do not use ResEdit and NCSA Telnet at the same time under
     MultiFinder. I don't know why, but it crashes randomly for
     me if I run these two programs simultaneously.

  4. Have 32-bit QuickDarw in your System Folder. ResColors uses this
     code.

  5. Have your monitor(s) pixel depth set to 256 colors (8-bit).
     This shouldn't be necessary, but it seems to be.

>Before using SunDesk, I used ColorFinder to colorise the icons.  I create a
>few icons, and would like to transfer them to SunDesk.  I tried to copy/cut
>the cicn icon while editing it and pasting it into the icl8 icon, but most
>times the colors are changed or removed.  If I copy an icl8 image to an cicn,
>then the cicn icon is created in black and white only.

icl8's use the System Palette (let's call it 256 colors) whereas cicn's
must define their own palette for each icon. A cicn begins life with
a pixel depth of 1-bit (black & white). To show more colors, one must
define the palette. This is not hard to do... just tedious. I do not
know of a "palette Copy/Paste" utility.

So when an icl8 is pasted into a new cicn resource, it is black &
white. If you define a "reasonable" color palette before pasting,
the colors will map to the closest equivalents.

Pasting the other direction (from cicn to icl8) may seem confusing
but actually works quite well. When you first paste, the colors
map to the first colors of the system palette (I think) and look
very distorted. My experience has been that if you close the new
icl8 at this time, the colors will remap to decent (perfect?)
equivalents and the icl8 may be reopened for subsequent editing.

The conclusion is:   cicn to icl8 = no sweat.   icl8 to cicn = tedium.

Make sure you are using the following tool versions:

  ResEdit 1.2
  ResColors 1.0b8 or 1.0b10
  SunDesk 1.0 or 1.1
  32-bit QuickDraw in the System Folder.

SunDesk and ResColors may be attained via anonymous ftp to:

        host name       ics.uci.edu
        host IP addr    128.195.1.1
        login           anonymous
        password        guest
        path            pub/mac

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90  10:12:06 EST
From: Jurgenb%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: disk controller inaccessible from software

in Info Mac V8 #45 James Macak writes...

> I just ran across this in the Developer Services section of AppleLink.  The
> note very briefly describes changes to new Mac CPUs that will make the "disk
> controller inaccessible to software..."

I wonder to what extend this is good news... on one hand this may make disk
based copy protection difficult, but simultaneously this will also render
programs such as Copy II Mac useless.  But not only will it be difficult
(impossible?) to write copy protection schemes AND copy-de-protection schemes,
but it will also make disk recovery software difficult (impossible?) to write.
I wonder what's up...

 Icon and      Jurgen Botz
 signature     Internet:    JurgenB@UMass.bitnet   (possibly temporary)
 should be     Compuserve:  70531,600   (70531.600@compuserve.com)
 here. Some    Voice:       US (413) 256-8610
 day! sigh.    Snail Mail:  11 S. Prospect St., Amherst, MA 01002, USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 02:19:56 EST
From: Matt_Slot@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Distorting/Slanting Text with PostScript

  How would I re-create distort effects in a PostScript program,
    similar to TypeAlign and/or SuperPaint 2.0?  I don't see how
    you can create a CTM to give text a 45-degree oblique, or
    bend it in all directions.  Stretching, scaling, and
    flipping are straight-forward enough, but how can you use
    PS for creating distorted or slanted test?

  Thanks!

================================================**============================
"Sir, you're so weird, you should be in movies" ||  Matt Slot
                                                ||  Computer Consultant
"Yeah, and you, baby, should be in real life!"  ||  Dept. of Surgery
                                                ||  Univ. of Michigan Hospital
                                                ||  CPNL@ub.cc.umich.edu
================================================**============================
| Standard Disclaimer:  "My employers don't know what I do in my spare time, |
|                        so don't blame them!"                               |
|                                              - MJS                         |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 23:33:05 EDT
From: Tim Waire <YI858C%GWUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Fax on AppleTalk

Fellow MacPeople:

I would like to thank those who responded to my questions about WindowShade
and Network backups.

Several people recommended Retrospect (Danzt Development) for doing backups
of published TOPS volumns on an AppleTalk network.

Next question:
  I am interested in connecting a Fax Modem to an AppleTalk network that could
  be accessed by all users.  They should be able to send any text document or
  whatever document they happen to be editting.  Does such a product exist???
  I know Shiva has NetModem (an AppleTalk Modem) but do they have a Fax Modem?

If there is interest I will summarize to the net.

Tim Waire                         Disclaimer:  The above questions and comments
yi858c@gwuvm                                   are my own, not to be mistaken
sc159213@sparko.gwu.edu (Internet)             for professional help.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 12:02 PST
From: <MCFARLAA%CLARGRAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Greek fonts

Howdy folks,
        I need a new Greek font.  I'm doing some writing and really need
one that INCUDES ACCENTS, ETC.  Symbol is pretty, but does not.  Salamis+
does but is truly ugly (not to mention I only have it  in 10 and 20 point)
B.-B. (in the archive) is doubly useless because One has to use a control char
(i mean key) to get the greek.   I short . . .

        Are there any pretty, complete Greek fonts out there???????

Thanks
Andrew McFarland

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 10:32:59 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hotels for MacWorld

I am going to MacWorld in San Francisco, but with the prices I have been
quoted for hotel rooms are out of this world. I could buy a new Mac with
the money needed to stay for the week. If anyone knows of a decent hotel
(doesn't have to be fancy - just not a fleabag) at a good price, I would
be very happy to hear about it. Thanks.

Bob Bolt                    |   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre   |   CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta       |   AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: 13 MAR 90 20:51:49
From: COSC006%unlcdc2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: I'm the demo, he's the Rapper

I recently downloaded a demo called DiamondDemo 4.6.  What I can't figure out
is why I should I buy the "real" Diamond;  I read the documentation, and the
demo does everything that the "real" application is supposed to do.  There are
no disabled features, so why should I fork out $125 for a poorly written
compression program when the demo does it for free?  I did test it on a 142k
application, and Diamond did whip stuffit soundly, 82k to 109k.  But the
diamondDemo was much, much slower than Stuffit, and Stuffit has a much better
interface.  Although I'll never pay $125 bucks for the real thing when I can
probably get Stuffit Deluxe for $50, I am curious if the real diamond is any
faster or has any different features.

- Mike Gleason = cosc006@crcnve.unl.edu

One more thing -- does anyone have any pascal code for an INIT?  I would like
to write an INIT that would write the names of floppy disks I eject to a text
file in the blessed folder.  My university just infected me with viruses
recently, and it would have been helpful to know which disks I had used in the
past month, rather than to run Disinfectant on 500 disks.  If anyone wants to
steal my idea, be my guest... if not, would someone upload some Pascal source
ccode, and I'll write it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 09:10:06 EST
From: vita@disney.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita)
Subject: Jasmine Disk Drives

According to this week's MacWEEK, there's a good chance that Jasmine will
be going belly-up very soon.  Two of their top executives jumped ship last
week, and speculation is that they will soon be filing for Chapter 11.
Apparently they have been unsuccessful in their recent attempts to find a
new source of funding to keep the company afloat.  Sources report that they
have huge quantity of dead drives that they have been unable to service.
Also, MacWEEK says that they have not shipped any new drives in a month.

Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita
Schenectady, NY

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 14:29:11 EST
From: Brad Goodman <acm119@eric.ccs.northeastern.edu>
Subject: Macintosh BBS Programs - Response

	I posted a message a few weeks ago inquiering about various
	BBS programs for the Macintosh. I got several responses, and
	several people who told me they were looking for the same
	information, and to tell them...So, I have investigated various
	programs, for those who are looking for them...

MiniHost - MiniHost is a RedRyder 10.3 procedure, that is in the info-
	mac archives. I didn't like it very much...It runs off of
	the RedRyder 10.3 program, (which you also need to buy,) and
	found it to be not very flexible, or configurable. The main
	advantage of it, is that you can write your own external procedures
	in RedRyders Procedure launguage, and add them into your own
	BBS program. However, I do not like RedRyders procedure launguage,
	and found it to be aggrivating to work in.

RedRyder Host - I haven't actualy seen it, but many people tell me it
	is a royal pain for the System Operator to maitain.

Hermes - I found Hermes to be fairly good. It will fully support ANSI
	color graphics, (which doesn't do you as much good if you are
	working on an SE, like me..) And I very much liked how you could
	assign security levels to users, and set parameters for each
	user, as to what message forums they can access. I was interested
	in this program, but it came with little documentation, which told
	me basicaly nothing about the system, su I could not do anything
	to configure it. With this trouble, I wrote to the author, asking
	him for help, and got none. Theirfore, I do not know how much
	you can customize it.

NovaLink 2.1 - I liked this one the best...It came with 3 50 page manuals
	on the disk, telling you how to run it. It has a bulit in
	multitasking system, which will allow you to run several "nodes"
	at once..(like one localy, one from the printer port, one from
	the modem port, and some from a serial card.) It also is based
	of a very good Message Tree system, which allows you to change
	these "messages," into menus, download/upload areas, email
	areas, feedback areas, (to whatever user you want,) flat message
	bases, voting sections, and several differnet other types
	of things. It is extreamly flexible, and easy to coonfigure.
	It has a nice system of assigning Security Levels and Privlages,
	so a System Operator can assign an entire section of a system
	to a "SIGOP", and have person have complete control over *that
	section* of the system. The best part about it, is you can
	write C or Pascal programs (MPW comming soon,) to easaly
	create External Applications for the program, using the built
	in facilites of the Program itself. I was told by several
	people that Res Nova (the creators of NovaLink) had
	"dissaperared", and their system had become obsolete...This
	is *not* the case. They have relocated to Boston, where they
	have a support board, and are working on a new version of the
	program "NovaLink Pro."
	I would recomend NovaLink by far over any others.

	I hope this could be of some help to those who said they were
	looking for other bbs programs as well.

					-BKG

				acm119@eric.ccs.northeastern.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 MAR 90 19:46:44 PDT
From: "Micro Mauler"  <MICRO2.SCHWER@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Need download from CompuServ of MacUser C programming code

Would some kind soul with access to CompuServe be willing to
download and post the example C coding that goes with the
PowerTools Series on Programming in MacUser (pp.245-255, April
90)? I assume others, sans CompuServe, are interested and would
appreciate the monthly posting.
   CompuServe instructions: type GO MACUSER at any ! prompt.
        Thanks, --Len Schwer    micro2.schwer@sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 18:54 EST
From: pascal%altitude.UUCP@iro.umontreal.ca (Pascal Gosselin)
Subject: Partitioning an AppleShare Server

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Does anybody out there know if it's possible to partition an AppleShare Server
>hard disk such that different users are restricted to different partitions?
>The idea would be that one group of users would have access to 10 meg of server
>space, another group to 20 meg., etc., depending on the size of the partition.

>And on a related topic, does anyone have experience using QuickMail on an
>AppleShare server machine?  How severely is server performance degraded?
>QuickMail performance?

>Please respond directly to me -- thanks in advance!

>Jeff Solof
>JSOLOF@MITVMC.MIT.EDU
>JSOLOF@MITVMC.BITNET

Hi,

    We've got QuickMail on a 2.5meg Mac Plus AppleShare server (also running
Print Server 2.0) and it runs fine.  I find the speed to be totally adequate,
since this is QMSERVER running as it would on any other machine, our server
isn't very busy.  I have never tried running Quick Mail on a mounted appleshare
volume like they describe on the book, I do know that it's a SLOW solution.

| Pascal Gosselin          |   philmtl!altitude!pascal@uunet.uu.net  |
| Computer Connection Inc. |     (514) 674-1514     CIS: 72757,1570  |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 14:41:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "Norman William Franke, III" <nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Yes it is possible to partition an AppleShare server so some groups can't
access a volume. I did it on a file server, and it works flawlessly.

-Norman Franke
nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 03:07:02 EST
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: Question about VBL synchronization

Help!

I have an application where the display of a picture needs to be
synchronized with the video refresh beam being at the top of the screen.
How can this be done?

Think Pascal 2.0 has a function called "synch" which does just that.
But I need this function in Think C 4.0!  Is there a way to build
a Library in Think Pascal with this function in it, and then move it
to Think C?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

					Hisham.

Hisham A. Abboud
Post Office Box 29375
Washington, D.C. 20017

Bitnet:    ABBOUD@CUA                           |
Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU    |
    or     ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@192.31.193.2      |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 16:01 CST
From: <NH2031S%DRAKE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: room-hotel-dorm reservation system?

I'm looking for a room reservation system that works on the Mac.  Our Student
Activites department is ready to move into the Macintosh era and would like to
computerize their student room placement procedures.  I thought someone
might know of a Hotel reservation or some scheduling software that could help
them out.

Please send any responses to me directly, I doubt this would be of general
interest to the net.

Nicholas L. Hayes
Drake University
BITNET:  nh2031s@drake

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 23:47:01 EST
From: Evan Stark <EXSGC%CUNYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Software control

I was told that someone posted information about software used
on AppleShare that can refer network users to free (not busy) copies
of programs when a busy one is inadvertently launched. Please contact
me directly or post to the net. Thanks.
Evan Stark EXSGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
           EVAN@ELENI.GC.CUNY.EDU
The CUNY Graduate School Computer Facility.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 18:02:32 CST
From: "Anthony Graves" <C471094%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Stratego!

This is a great implimentation of the board game Stratego.
For those of you who have never played, Stratego is somewhat
like checkers and chess combined, but really nothing much like
either.  Take my word for it, it's a lot of fun, and this is a
very faithful representation.  It's freeware by the author,
free to distribute, but NOT public domain.  This is an old
version that a friend of mine gave me.  If anyone has a newer
one, please post it. Binhexed Stuffit file follows:

[Archived as /info-mac/game/stratego.hqx; 124K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 11:46:46 PST
From: Dan_MacIsaac@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: SYLK Spreadsheet Format

...I recently d/l the tech note describing RTF from the Info Mac archives.  I
would like to find similar notes allowing me to write to a file using the SYLK
format employed by MicroSoft Works and Excel.  Can anyone send me technical
details on this format or pointers to the same that I can access via
anonymous ftp?

Please mail me direct.

..the screen may go haywire as the
computers' software dies, making horrible
'machine gun' noises.  If this happens,      Dan MacIsaac, Computers in
just press the Reset switch or turn off      Education Research Group,
the computer's power.                        Dept of Math and Science Education
                                             University of British Columbia
    - p 188, Technical Introduction to the   USERCERG@UBCMTSG.BITNET
    MacIntosh Family, Apple Computer Corp    Dan_MacIsaac@mtsg.ubc.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 09:37:58 EST
From: Jim_Burmeister@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Using another mac as second screen?

I have two Mac Pluses sitting next to each other.  My question is, is there
any way to use one of them as an extended screen for the other? (i.e.
one Mac will have the menu bar, & then put tool palettes or another document
window on the second...)  I had in mind a software, not a hardware solution--
like something that would communicate thru AppleTalk.
If nothing like this exists, any of you programming gods know how one might
go about doing it?

As usual, please respond to me & I'll summarize...

          Jim Burmeister
          Internet: Jim_Burmeister@ub.cc.umich.edu

Disclaimer:   Thphthfffft!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 10:12:20 EST
From: Francis Taylor <narf@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Weird Printing Requirement, and Great Plains Software info wanted

Hi.  I wrote a manual, which I would like to have printed.  I would
like it to be printed on 8 1/2" by 11" paper, folded over and stapled.
The pages need to be printed on the paper in a peculiar way so that
all the pages will be in the right places when they are stapled and
folded.  Does anyone know of any software (preferably for the Mac)
that can do this for me?

I know, I can just cut the pages apart, and tape the pieces together
in the right way, but the printer tells me that this requires them to
make another generation of copy, which will degrade the appearance of
the manual.

Also, has anyone out there had any good/bad experiences with Great
Plains Software?

I will summarize the replies for those interested.  Thanks.

End of Info-Mac Digest